Author Topic: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)  (Read 338368 times)

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard over the fence (Antimustachian neighbours)
« Reply #900 on: April 18, 2021, 03:43:46 PM »
So its hoarding, or some shopping disorder.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #901 on: April 18, 2021, 07:29:09 PM »
Maybe they still think it has to sit out to get decontaminated in case of Covid?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #902 on: April 18, 2021, 07:39:53 PM »
Maybe they still think it has to sit out to get decontaminated in case of Covid?
This has been going on for a couple of years before Covid...

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #903 on: May 01, 2021, 04:28:46 PM »
In my neighborhood Facebook group, a member just posted to ask whoever has a HS kid who is driving a Tesla super fast in the neighborhood to please slow down.  Dang this hood has gotten boughie since I moved in here 4 years ago.  A HS driving a Tesla shakes head.

TheFrenchCat

• Bristles
« Reply #904 on: May 01, 2021, 05:34:29 PM »
In my neighborhood Facebook group, a member just posted to ask whoever has a HS kid who is driving a Tesla super fast in the neighborhood to please slow down.  Dang this hood has gotten boughie since I moved in here 4 years ago.  A HS driving a Tesla shakes head.
I can't imagine letting a high schooler drive a Tesla, that's crazy.

Also, I understand the poster very well.  I can't stand the people who drive super fast in our neighborhood.  They'll go 40-45 MPH or so in a 25 zone, even though the street is well known for bikers and walkers.  Ugh.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #905 on: May 02, 2021, 01:35:50 AM »

I might, since you can set limits on speed and acceleration via computer as well as review the dashcam on suspicious events (hard braking events, etc.).  The only downside is Tesla doesn't come with jumper cables with which to beat them when they get out of line.

Chaplin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #906 on: May 02, 2021, 04:45:13 PM »
I might, since you can set limits on speed and acceleration via computer as well as review the dashcam on suspicious events (hard braking events, etc.).  The only downside is Tesla doesn't come with jumper cables with which to beat them when they get out of line.

The charging cable has excellent heft.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #907 on: May 02, 2021, 06:27:37 PM »

The charging cable has excellent heft.

Iím just waiting for the feature where I can tell the car to bring them to Palm Springs

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #908 on: May 09, 2021, 03:49:24 AM »
I bumped into my ayi sitting in the lobby after cleaning our apartment this afternoon. She was waiting to go over to her ďfull-timeĒ family, for whom she works M-F 7:00-6:00. Today is Sunday. When I asked her why she wasnít going home, she said that her other family needed her to stay over this weekend. The reason? Dad is on a business trip and mom canít handle taking care of her two-year-old by herself for two nights.

Scotts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #909 on: May 09, 2021, 09:03:53 AM »
I bumped into my ayi sitting in the lobby after cleaning our apartment this afternoon. She was waiting to go over to her ďfull-timeĒ family, for whom she works M-F 7:00-6:00. Today is Sunday. When I asked her why she wasnít going home, she said that her other family needed her to stay over this weekend. The reason? Dad is on a business trip and mom canít handle taking care of her two-year-old by herself for two nights.

That's just sad.

BuffaloStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #910 on: May 10, 2021, 07:32:59 AM »
...mom canít handle taking care of her two-year-old by herself for two nights.

I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt, and first read this as "two (as in 2x), one year olds". But then I re-read.
I'm not saying parenting is easy, but...

YttriumNitrate

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #911 on: May 10, 2021, 07:44:59 AM »
Additionally, if you figure that your kid is going to crash the car, a Tesla is one of the safer ones to do it in.

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #912 on: May 10, 2021, 07:45:34 AM »

I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt, and first read this as "two (as in 2x), one year olds". But then I re-read.

We bumped into mom and kid in the grassy area in our complex. They were having a picnic. She messaged ayi to bring down dinner. Lest you think it was some fancy picnic hamper, let me disabuse you of that notion. Mom had ordered a pizza, and she needed ayi to warm up slices of pizza and bring them down. She also needed ayi to wash fruit and bring that down. And thatís why ayi left work late that night...because itís so difficult to take care of a toddler and prep dinner.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #913 on: May 10, 2021, 08:09:00 AM »

We bumped into mom and kid in the grassy area in our complex. They were having a picnic. She messaged ayi to bring down dinner. Lest you think it was some fancy picnic hamper, let me disabuse you of that notion. Mom had ordered a pizza, and she needed ayi to warm up slices of pizza and bring them down. She also needed ayi to wash fruit and bring that down. And thatís why ayi left work late that night...because itís so difficult to take care of a toddler and prep dinner.

20 to one that same woman is against raising the minimum wage for "unskilled" labor...

Freedomin5

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #914 on: May 10, 2021, 08:21:43 AM »

20 to one that same woman is against raising the minimum wage for "unskilled" labor...

Well, she needs the money to dry clean the picnic blanket. Yes, the picnic blanket that you put on the ground and sit on. That surprised me. Itís amazing how people come up with ways to spend money.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #915 on: May 12, 2021, 06:12:39 AM »
Additionally, if you figure that your kid is going to crash the car, a Tesla is one of the safer ones to do it in.

Hmm, speed limits, how could one account for the neighborhood speed limit of 25 and the 55 mph road between it and the school?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #916 on: May 12, 2021, 12:08:46 PM »

Hmm, speed limits, how could one account for the neighborhood speed limit of 25 and the 55 mph road between it and the school?

I donít know if this is an actual feature, but mapping systems have pretty accurate information these days.  Every time I get directions it displays the correct speed limit.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #917 on: May 12, 2021, 02:53:11 PM »

I donít know if this is an actual feature, but mapping systems have pretty accurate information these days.  Every time I get directions it displays the correct speed limit.
DW and I went car shopping just a couple days ago, and (depending on the model) the cameras in the car will actually pick up speed limit signs and display it on the dash.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #918 on: May 12, 2021, 03:46:43 PM »

DW and I went car shopping just a couple days ago, and (depending on the model) the cameras in the car will actually pick up speed limit signs and display it on the dash.

Is it like a photo of the sign?  Or is it just from the mapping software?

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #919 on: May 12, 2021, 04:43:27 PM »

Is it like a photo of the sign?  Or is it just from the mapping software?
There's a camera in the car which detects speed limit signs, does image recognition, and figures out what the sign said.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #920 on: May 13, 2021, 08:30:51 AM »
There's a camera in the car which detects speed limit signs, does image recognition, and figures out what the sign said.

I wonder can any of this be used in court to fight a speeding ticket?  if a log is kept of the car speed and posted limits and these disagree with what the cop says you were doing.  But I remember that the major car manufacturers are VERY reluctant to give anyone read access a cars internal data.  But would seem a good selling point. 

Edit: might not be enough, I am told there is a road around here that officially decreases the speed limit before the sign.  Boss supposedly got hit with this and tried to fight in court; judge "it is your job to know the speed limit on the roads you drive on - the signs are only for your convenience".  yeah is just a cash grab by a small town, that only serves to undermine any trust and respect for law enforcement and the judicial system.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 08:34:35 AM by AlanStache »

RWD

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #921 on: May 13, 2021, 08:46:34 AM »
Edit: might not be enough, I am told there is a road around here that officially decreases the speed limit before the sign.  Boss supposedly got hit with this and tried to fight in court; judge "it is your job to know the speed limit on the roads you drive on - the signs are only for your convenience".  yeah is just a cash grab by a small town, that only serves to undermine any trust and respect for law enforcement and the judicial system.
This makes me very upset. If your limits aren't documented by the signs then they aren't documented.

Ann

• Bristles
« Reply #922 on: May 14, 2021, 11:52:24 AM »
This is a house in our neighborhood.   It's been like this long before we found the neighborhood 16 months ago.   It's better now than when we first saw it, at that point the entire front porch across the front of the house was filled with packages.  The same packages stay there for awhile.

I have no idea whether the house is so chock full of hoarded stuff that it takes them awhile to find room, or what.

Apparently it's not a criminal enterprise, at least according to the president of the voluntary HOA for the neighborhood.

I just have to say that itís nice your neighborhood doesnít have the theft problem I hear about around my neck of the woods.  If your neighbors leave out packages that long, and least that probably means theyíre not getting stolen.  Off topic, but I was impressed

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #923 on: May 14, 2021, 01:07:02 PM »
Gotta get this out somewhere, this seems like a good place.

There are existing drainage problems from our neighbor's house to ours (on their side) that they refuse to address. When we put in our new paver driveway (ourselves, in the middle of summer), we offered to tie them in to our drainage on the other side of the house, which is more than adequate and most importantly, downhill. We would have charged them nothing for crossing our property, because it would have been easy after the existing concrete driveway was torn out. They declined.

This very small family eats out virtually every night, except when they order in. Over the past few months, we've noticed various Kitchen Renovation Company vehicles visiting their house. Fast forward to when we returned from a two-week vacation. There is a full gut kitchen renovation going on. For people who don't cook. Facepalm.

It gets better: DH is familiar with the contractor who's doing the work. DH knows the dude's license is expired, which means he has no Worker's Compensation Insurance for the two workers who are there every day. DH checked with the city. Turns out the homeowners got their own building permit, not the contractor (because duh, he can't since his license is expired). I wonder if they realize why he wanted them to get their own permit and that it's their ass on the line if anyone gets hurt while building the kitchen they're not going to actually cook in? Head:Desk.

MYOB is the correct answer, but I appreciate having this space to vent. Thank you.

jeninco

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #924 on: May 14, 2021, 04:51:54 PM »
Gotta get this out somewhere, this seems like a good place.

There are existing drainage problems from our neighbor's house to ours (on their side) that they refuse to address. When we put in our new paver driveway (ourselves, in the middle of summer), we offered to tie them in to our drainage on the other side of the house, which is more than adequate and most importantly, downhill. We would have charged them nothing for crossing our property, because it would have been easy after the existing concrete driveway was torn out. They declined.

This very small family eats out virtually every night, except when they order in. Over the past few months, we've noticed various Kitchen Renovation Company vehicles visiting their house. Fast forward to when we returned from a two-week vacation. There is a full gut kitchen renovation going on. For people who don't cook. Facepalm.

It gets better: DH is familiar with the contractor who's doing the work. DH knows the dude's license is expired, which means he has no Worker's Compensation Insurance for the two workers who are there every day. DH checked with the city. Turns out the homeowners got their own building permit, not the contractor (because duh, he can't since his license is expired). I wonder if they realize why he wanted them to get their own permit and that it's their ass on the line if anyone gets hurt while building the kitchen they're not going to actually cook in? Head:Desk.

MYOB is the correct answer, but I appreciate having this space to vent. Thank you.

Honey shucking Fit, batman, that's ... a lot. Things like that make me appreciate my neighbors, some of whom are uber-mustachian (without calling it that) and some of whom are merely reasonable neighbors.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #925 on: May 14, 2021, 06:13:11 PM »

I thought it was common practice for contractors to make homeowners handle the permits.  Is this a red flag?  Iíve heard it quite a few times although Iím yet to hire my own contractor

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #926 on: May 14, 2021, 07:00:29 PM »
In my area it would be a red flag.   

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #927 on: May 14, 2021, 09:00:05 PM »
In my area the permitting process is such a headache that it's a reason all its own for hiring work out. No way would I hire a contractor who wanted me to pull the permits (plural--separate permits for structure, electric, and plumbing) myself.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #928 on: May 16, 2021, 02:00:45 PM »
Update: DH met the contractor doing the job next door, and they chatted for quite a while. Turns out the guy is doing the job for $85/hour, plus materials. So maybe the homeowners decided to save themselves $85/hour by getting their own permits? Or maybe the guy's crafty and suggested they do it to save some bucks, so he wouldn't have to disclose that his license is not current? DH did not ask him about that, but the state's website is typically pretty accurate.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #929 on: May 16, 2021, 02:46:39 PM »
In my area it would be a red flag.   
++

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #930 on: May 16, 2021, 03:13:37 PM »
FWIW, a lot of people around here choose not to get a permit, not out of a desire to cut corners or get away with shoddy work, but rather to avoid the attention from the local tax assessor.  As we live in an area with high property tax rates, spending a chunk of money to improve your house gets rewarded with the obligation to pay more in taxes.