Author Topic: Overheard on the Radio This Morning  (Read 3463 times)

wkumtrider

• Stubble
Overheard on the Radio This Morning
« on: August 14, 2015, 05:35:17 PM »
I was listening to a radio talk show this morning on the way to work.  They were discussing the salary of a NFL player, which was around 4 million for 3 years.  This NFL player claims he and his wife are living on "only" $60,000 a year.  He drives his used car he had in college, has a modest size house, and invests in stocks and other investments.  All good stuff.  The lady on the talk show said "I can't believe he is only living on $60,000 when he makes millions.  That is the dumbest thing ever."  When others on the show asked why she felt this way, she said "because if I was dating someone with over a million dollars he better be spending it on me!"  She went on to say that they must have a dump of a house and never spend a dime on anything.  I had a good laugh.

The other personalities on the show was supportive of this NFL player's decision, and they went on to talk about how many pro athletes end up bankrupt even though they have millions. 

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Overheard on the Radio This Morning
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 06:56:12 PM »
Why is this antimustachian?  Or just the lady's response?

Good for him, though - he's set for life, if that's how he's managing his finances.

Skalm

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 09:02:52 PM »
I'm very lucky to have met the gal I ended up marrying, as she's very frugal and looks down on those who can't manage money. That kind of attitude... "if he's got millions, he'd better be spending it on me"... just makes my skin crawl. I can't imagine dating a girl with that much entitlement.

Suncoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »
Kudos to him for having his lifestyle under control.  I just hope he's not trying to be too clever with his investments.  The article has a couple mentions of his investments that leads you to believe he might be picking individual stocks and trying to time the market.  I hope that is not the case.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-player-3-6-million-142754584.html

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 12:41:56 PM »
The key word in her response is "if" she was dating someone like that. That will never happen.

wkumtrider

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 01:38:51 PM »
I listen to this radio show periodically when going to work.  Apparently the lady on the show that made the comment has a lot of debt, yet she doesn't understand why.  Seems to be the case with a lot of people in debt.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 02:56:11 PM »
a lot of debt, yet she doesn't understand why.  Seems to be the case with a lot of people in debt.

Yes, but it's not their fault. There is a debt fairy that will randomly latch onto perfectly responsible people, and as a result they will wake up and find themselves buried under a mountain of debt.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!