Author Topic: Overheard on Hold with Credit Union  (Read 5954 times)

rudimentsofgruel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Overheard on Hold with Credit Union
« on: June 27, 2015, 08:33:07 AM »
"Learn how to lower your monthly payments and get cash back too! There has never been a better time to refinance your vehicle loan!"

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard on Hold with Credit Union
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 09:15:14 AM »
Was that more or less grating than the hold muzak?

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 09:16:16 AM »
I love how I get cold called or spammed with banks telling me they can lower my loan payments.

If they can beat 0% interest, I'll do it!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 09:47:29 AM »
I love how I get cold called or spammed with banks telling me they can lower my loan payments.

I was driving with owner of the company i work for and he got a call which he put on speaker through the stereo, it went something like this:

Boss:  Hello?

Caller:  Hello, can i speak to "Mr. ……. ………."

Boss:  Speaking

Caller:  Hi Mr. ……., I'm calling from VISA and would like to let you know that you have been referred to us as a potential candidate as a VISA representative for an opening in your area.  Are you interested in a high paying job with VISA?

Boss and I look at each other like WTF!

Boss:  Okay... what do you mean by that?

Caller:  Well, we are looking for a VISA representative for your area and your name has been recommended to us.  If I were to write you a check for everything you owe, all your debt, how much would that be?

Boss and I are like WTF again, but he smiles at me and give me a wink.

Boss:  I think i have a credit actually. 

Caller:  Sorry, what?

Boss:  A credit.  Not Debt.  You actually you owe me money. 

Caller is like WTF, and then tries to get us to listen to some recorded sales pitch and we held him on the line as long as possible and mess with him until we get to our destination (golfing, lol)

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 11:09:33 AM »

I was driving with owner of the company i work for and he got a call which he put on speaker through the stereo, it went something like this:

Caller:  Hi Mr. ……., I'm calling from VISA and would like to let you know that you have been referred to us as a potential candidate as a VISA representative for an opening in your area.  Are you interested in a high paying job with VISA?

Caller:  Well, we are looking for a VISA representative for your area and your name has been recommended to us.  If I were to write you a check for everything you owe, all your debt, how much would that be?

Caller is like WTF, and then tries to get us to listen to some recorded sales pitch and we held him on the line as long as possible and mess with him until we get to our destination (golfing, lol)

Haha!  That's a great story!  I like your boss :-)

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 11:43:17 AM »
In the same vein, just got this from AMEX serve.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 02:14:02 PM »

Same here, I've learned a lot about dealing with people and business from him.  He is the kind of guy that will go into Home Depot and buy something that isn't on sale for only half of the sale price every time, all while making friends with everyone working there.  It's amazing to watch, lol

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 02:47:47 PM »

Same here, I've learned a lot about dealing with people and business from him.  He is the kind of guy that will go into Home Depot and buy something that isn't on sale for only half of the sale price every time, all while making friends with everyone working there.  It's amazing to watch, lol

I need to hear how this is done.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 08:03:37 PM »
"Learn how to lower your monthly payments and get cash back too! There has never been a better time to refinance your vehicle loan!"
I am hearing these pitches more and more too.  How common are vehicle refinance loans?  I have never heard any one discussing doing it, but someone must be with the ads hat are out there.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2015, 07:38:54 AM »
I got bizarre mail the other day explaining that I'd been designated a "Superior" person (OK, Senator Byrd) and that they'd write me a check for $25,000 now to consolidate my debts.

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2015, 08:09:03 AM »
I got the call to consolidate my debts.  They said they could drop my interest rate down from 30%+ to only 19.99%!!!! (If I held a balance my interest rate is only like 14%) They asked me what my current balance was so they could calculate the savings.

Me: Sure, well I haven't yet pay the bill this month since it isn't due until the 10th, so my current balance is about 2,500.
Slimy Sales: Oh, well how about your other cards?  We can combine them all into 1 single payment.  What's your total balance?
Me: That's it, just my one card.
Slimy Sales: So why are you trying to refinance?
Me: You called me, so I'm not sure.
slimy Sales: ... so would an interest rate of 19.99% be interesting to you.
Me: Sure, I mean, it will raise my current rate by 5% with higher fees and less benefits and paperwork, plus I pay off in full and never deal with interest rates anyways.
Slimy Sales: Why are you wasting my time?
Me: You called me dude.
Slimy Sales: Well we have .... 'sales pitch for something else'
Me: So you can't hang up on me since I said I was interested, and even though you know that I'm a hopeless cause for you to make $$ off of.  That much suck.
Slimy Sales: Well sir we have a range of products and services that would fit you - 'another sales pitch for a 12% car loan'
Me: My car loan is at 2.5%, so no thanks on that, do you have anything that could lower my mortgage?
Slimy Sales: Sure we can offer a mortgage rate of 8.99% ... 'some other sales pitch'
Me: Oh, well I'm at 4.5%, so what benefits do you offer to justify the higher cost?
Slimy Sales: Dude, just hang up, I need to make some sales.
Me: NEVER!! HAHAHAHA!!! I'm just bored .... but since you asked nicely. (Click)

I think I wasted like 15minutes of that guys time.  I was walking around the block and it was actually fun to bug people for no reason.  I just hate cold calls trying to prey on stupid people.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2015, 08:48:02 AM »
I got the call to consolidate my debts.  They said they could drop my interest rate down from 30%+ to only 19.99%!!!! (If I held a balance my interest rate is only like 14%) They asked me what my current balance was so they could calculate the savings.

Me: Sure, well I haven't yet pay the bill this month since it isn't due until the 10th, so my current balance is about 2,500.
Slimy Sales: Oh, well how about your other cards?  We can combine them all into 1 single payment.  What's your total balance?
Me: Sure, I mean, it will raise my current rate by 5% with higher fees and less benefits and paperwork, plus I pay off in full and never deal with interest rates anyways.
Me: So you can't hang up on me since I said I was interested, and even though you know that I'm a hopeless cause for you to make $$ off of.  That much suck.
Slimy Sales: Well sir we have a range of products and services that would fit you - 'another sales pitch for a 12% car loan'
Me: My car loan is at 2.5%, so no thanks on that, do you have anything that could lower my mortgage?
Slimy Sales: Sure we can offer a mortgage rate of 8.99% ... 'some other sales pitch'
Me: Oh, well I'm at 4.5%, so what benefits do you offer to justify the higher cost?

I think I wasted like 15minutes of that guys time.  I was walking around the block and it was actually fun to bug people for no reason.  I just hate cold calls trying to prey on stupid people.

That's great - can telemarketers not terminate a call and initiate a new call once they realize that there is no opportunity?

cripzychiken

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2015, 08:52:55 AM »

That's great - can telemarketers not terminate a call and initiate a new call once they realize that there is no opportunity?

Depends on the rules at the company they work for.  I've had people hang up on me when I say I have less than $1000 in debt, others that are suck on the phone until I say "no I don't want your service" or I hang up.  So YMMV. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!