Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6088651 times)

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #3300 on: October 23, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »

I see this with retired Brits who travel the world. They hate the idea of all immigrants here, but they expect that they should be welcomed the world over.

Funny, for a while I thought that this was just how everyone viewed us Americans. But I see that sillyness expands beyond our national boundaries.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/articles/tourists-disrupt-turtle-nesting-grounds-in-costa-rica/57292/

All this is sort of why I dont like traveling internationally.  I make an effort to be extra nice and not assume everyone speaks English and to not take anything personally - maybe that was just a cultural thing just let it go, when in Rome do as the locals etc.  Is tiring.  Much easier and more relaxing to travel domestically, I have some idea what that local laws, customs and holidays are.  No one is going to be like "those damn Virginians" if I walk up to someone and assume they speak english while I am in Denver.  If I am hungry I can pull out my phone and find a pannara, no crazy roaming or data charges and I can read the menu. 

I have traveled a lot, recently had to get a new passport book because the old one was full, so please dont tell me I just need to go see more or travel more or learn the local customs, been there, done that, dont like it.  With very few exceptions I would vacation most anywhere in the US over most anywhere outside the US.  But I get I am somewhat spoiled and it would probably be good for people to get out and see the world.  I have seen and done some really cool stuff overseas but all in all it is not my cup of tea. 

Years back I went to part of Mexico that has lots of US-expats, half of them thought they were still in the US.  Was an odd place, you could clearly see the locals changing things in places to make money off the US'ers but not everywhere, this block was US-anized but the next block over was not.  Not sure I could be comfortable there, heck fairly sure I could not :-)

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #3301 on: October 23, 2015, 12:20:45 PM »
Post from a local broker.  I'm jealous of the guy because he's really successfull (at least I think he is.)

But the damn logic of this post blow my mind.

Don't be jealous of this guy; he is barely literate.

I'm not sure if I've gotten used to shitty writing or if you're very picky, but I barely noticed the bad grammar.
Really? It made my skin crawl!
Re-read it with more that the cursory glance I gave the first time.  I ammend my statement - it's pretty bad.  I must have been more upset about the assumption that a larger home is inherently desirable at the time.  Either that or I forgot this was supposedly a professional writing it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3302 on: October 23, 2015, 04:53:56 PM »
Not on Facebook, but on another form of social media:  (on the topic of DIY)
"Oh I've probably had to pay too much for car repair junk, but it's not _THAT_ much money that it makes a huge difference and certainly not worth spending all the time learning to not be scammed when you can just do things to be more valuable and earn more instead. (Or mooch and marry into money and then divorce your way out so you split everything...that can work too if you're the sinister type.) So instead of paying like $50 every few months, I pay like $500...so what?"

While he's technically right that it's possible to make yourself more valuable, I couldn't resist responding with a couple of personal stories where I saved myself huge sums of money by doing my own work.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #3303 on: October 24, 2015, 09:14:05 AM »
Finally have one since I've only recently, grudgingly joined FB.

Comments include - "or don't Ambien and Prime... I'm really bad at that, LOL", and "Erhmegerd, we have 1 hour Amazon shipping now so I've ordered all kinds of stuff!"

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3304 on: October 25, 2015, 06:11:49 AM »
#‎ThatMoment‬ when you spend over $500 between Costco and Walmart on groceries n thangs and you gotta ride back to the house with yo Husband.... ‪#‎DontSayAnything‬ ‪#‎BeSubmissive‬ #‪#‎AintPlayingNoMusic‬ ‪#‎DearLordWeAreGatheredHereToday‬ ‪#‎ThankYouJesus‬ ‪#‎Scurred‬#‎IBettaCookThe‬%@$!OuttaTheseGroceries

I don't know which is more horrifying--the amount spent (which is basically my grocery budget for the MONTH), that this was written by a white woman in her mid-thirties, or that people actually thought this was funny.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 06:16:07 AM by MandalayVA »

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3305 on: October 25, 2015, 06:17:23 AM »
#‎ThatMoment‬ when you spend over $500 between Costco and Walmart on groceries n thangs and you gotta ride back to the house with yo Husband.... ‪#‎DontSayAnything‬ ‪#‎BeSubmissive‬ #‪#‎AintPlayingNoMusic‬ ‪#‎DearLordWeAreGatheredHereToday‬ ‪#‎ThankYouJesus‬ ‪#‎Scurred‬#‎IBettaCookThe‬%@$!OuttaTheseGroceries

I don't know which is more horrifying--the amount spent (which is basically my grocery budget for the MONTH) or the fact that a mid-thirties white woman apparently can speak fluent Ebonics.
The most horrifying are neither of those, but "Be Submissive" and "Scared".

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3306 on: October 25, 2015, 08:46:37 AM »

I don't know which is more horrifying--the amount spent (which is basically my grocery budget for the MONTH) or the fact that a mid-thirties white woman apparently can speak fluent Ebonics.

Hashtags....when will they go away?

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3307 on: October 25, 2015, 11:24:16 AM »

Amen, I hate those ridiculous hashtags

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3308 on: October 25, 2015, 12:04:01 PM »

Amen, I hate those ridiculous hashtags

I always reply "#Hastag" to people who use them because maybe, just maybe that will show how silly it is.

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #3309 on: October 25, 2015, 02:04:47 PM »
I don't even know what the #s mean.  I assume it has something to do with Twitter. 

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #3310 on: October 25, 2015, 05:27:27 PM »
I don't even know what the #s mean.  I assume it has something to do with Twitter.

The "#" is what they call a "hashtag", it makes what's after it into a searchable link. I wouldn't mind it if it stayed online but I can't stand that it's made its way into offline advertising too, now you can't even listen to the radio without hearing "hashtag this and hashtag that".  However I do like to see peoples expressions when I say "Hashtag? Don't you mean pound sign?" ;)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 05:33:20 PM by tallen »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3311 on: October 25, 2015, 05:49:16 PM »
However I do like to see peoples expressions when I say "Hashtag? Don't you mean pound sign?" ;)
octothorpe for the pedants amongst us

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3312 on: October 25, 2015, 07:31:48 PM »
However I do like to see peoples expressions when I say "Hashtag? Don't you mean pound sign?" ;)
octothorpe for the pedants amongst us
And for the linux guys, it's the "sh" part of "shbang" (#!)

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3313 on: October 26, 2015, 02:58:03 AM »
No one is going to be like "those damn Virginians" if I walk up to someone and assume they speak english while I am in Denver.  If I am hungry I can pull out my phone and find a pannara, no crazy roaming or data charges and I can read the menu. 

FWIW I wasn't talking about locals complaining about visitors a la "those damn Virginians", I was commenting on Westerners getting annoyed at locals not speaking English. So I don't think you were the kind of tourist I was taking a shot at :)

If you don't like travel, you don't like it. Nothing wrong with that. Better to know you find it tiring to adjust to the locale and prefer to stay home, than go anyway, and rail against it.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3314 on: October 26, 2015, 04:01:23 AM »

The "#" is what they call a "hashtag", it makes what's after it into a searchable link. I wouldn't mind it if it stayed online but I can't stand that it's made its way into offline advertising too, now you can't even listen to the radio without hearing "hashtag this and hashtag that".  However I do like to see peoples expressions when I say "Hashtag? Don't you mean pound sign?" ;)

The # is a hash, meaning a table of sorts (computer terminology). The tag is the clickable link afterwards. Hashtag. Anyways, the # can also be the pound sign, or as a stand in for number. You can ever play tic-tax-toe on it.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3315 on: October 26, 2015, 07:31:44 AM »
No foam in this thread? Let's discuss all the possible uses of hashtags and all share our general attitude towards them.

#sike

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3316 on: October 26, 2015, 08:03:37 AM »
Saw something on facebook this morning that needs posting here. Background: person lives with parents, is perpetually broke, and is negative in the bank account most of the time due to overdrafts. Person posts video about being broke 3 days after pay day because of making it rain. Yeah...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #3317 on: October 26, 2015, 10:11:42 AM »
Saw something on facebook this morning that needs posting here. Background: person lives with parents, is perpetually broke, and is negative in the bank account most of the time due to overdrafts. Person posts video about being broke 3 days after pay day because of making it rain. Yeah...

I'm visualizing myself as a curmudgeonly parent: "You want to make it rain, son? Great: here's a watering can and a hose. Go water the garden and be useful. See now? You're making it rain for all those thirsty little onions."

How in the world did throwing large amounts of money into the air at a strip club ever enter the popular lexicon in the first place?

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3318 on: October 26, 2015, 11:10:14 AM »
How in the world did throwing large amounts of money into the air at a strip club ever enter the popular lexicon in the first place?

Everybody wanna be baller.  As the average person gets a higher standard of living, Wanton luxury has to go to new heights to get noticed.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3319 on: October 26, 2015, 11:13:51 AM »

Everybody wanna be baller.  As the average person gets a higher standard of living, Wanton luxury has to go to new heights to get noticed.

Though it isn't how I would spend my money, I can understand for someone with significant financial means that it might not be a huge amount of their personal wealth to "make it rain." What kills me is that things like this are somewhat prestigious among certain circles that I can imagine someone that is barely making ends meet might go out and do this if they suddenly got a windfall. Afterwards they would be back to where they started, or perhaps even worse off.

I know a few people that are living paycheck to paycheck, and as soon as they given some cash or a gift, they will go out and splurge it because they "deserve it."

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3320 on: October 26, 2015, 11:16:39 AM »

I'm visualizing myself as a curmudgeonly parent: "You want to make it rain, son? Great: here's a watering can and a hose. Go water the garden and be useful. See now? You're making it rain for all those thirsty little onions."

It's raining tuition money, that's what she said.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3321 on: October 27, 2015, 03:19:57 AM »
On a family vacation this summer, we played a new dice game.  8 people, $3 each in $1 bills.  I won.  The people and the game and the evening were so much fun, I tossed the $24 and it rained money for a couple of seconds.  It was great!  If you ever get a chance, I highly recommend it.  If you want to recover those dollars, I suggest doing it in the privacy of your own living room, though...

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3322 on: October 27, 2015, 04:00:51 AM »
On a family vacation this summer, we played a new dice game.  8 people, $3 each in $1 bills.  I won.  The people and the game and the evening were so much fun, I tossed the $24 and it rained money for a couple of seconds.  It was great!  If you ever get a chance, I highly recommend it.  If you want to recover those dollars, I suggest doing it in the privacy of your own living room, though...

Wife and I did it after we got married. Took all the cash we got and made it rain haha. It can be satisfying if you're not wasting the money :).

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3323 on: October 27, 2015, 07:40:13 AM »

Before you do this, please leave some garden tools out -

Then you can say the following without being degrading -

" See now? You're making it rain for all those thirsty little hoes."

dorothyc

• Stubble
« Reply #3324 on: October 27, 2015, 08:37:03 AM »

Reminds me of the Jeopardy clue, a long handled gardening tool that also means an immoral pleasure seeker. The question they were looking for was "What is a rake?"

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3325 on: October 27, 2015, 09:37:27 AM »

Wife and I did it after we got married. Took all the cash we got and made it rain haha. It can be satisfying if you're not wasting the money :).

I tried making it rain with twenty four dollars of Canadian 1$ coins once.  It was sort of painful and noisy.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3326 on: October 27, 2015, 02:44:53 PM »
Big heavy noisy gold rain drops.  Loons flying.  Fun. 

Do it with toonies and see polar bears fly  ;-)

I tried making it rain with twenty four dollars of Canadian 1$ coins once.  It was sort of painful and noisy.

cerebus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3327 on: October 28, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »

Reminds me of the Jeopardy clue, a long handled gardening tool that also means an immoral pleasure seeker. The question they were looking for was "What is a rake?"

ho ho ho ho ho...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3328 on: October 28, 2015, 11:32:55 AM »
We actually call that "making it hail". It can be hilarious in the right context....

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3329 on: October 28, 2015, 11:53:30 AM »
We actually call that "making it hail". It can be hilarious in the right context....

Most likely I'm critically out of touch with pop culture.

The first time I heard someone mention being out a lot of money due to "making it rain" in a strip club I thought he'd set a bottle of brandy on fire so that the sprinklers would go off, resulting in an instant wet T-shirt contest, if there were any T-shirts present which I doubt. Now that would be expensive.

I propose an experiment. Let's try to see if we can set a new standard in conspicuous attention seeking over-consumption: if there's enough of a buzz on social media I bet some idiot will do it.

ms

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3330 on: October 28, 2015, 03:10:08 PM »
A high school friend recently passed the bar exam which she proudly posted on Facebook. She's turning 40 this year and so a few years back she quit her job and became a full time student in a city 5 hours away for law school. She's currently a single mom, living at home and going through a divorce. Saying that the financial situation is not that great is an understatement.

I met up with her for coffee and we were discussing her job prospects.

She said: Honestly, I'm not sure I even want to stay in this profession.

:/

Me: *** head spinning ***

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3331 on: October 28, 2015, 03:21:34 PM »
I propose an experiment. Let's try to see if we can set a new standard in conspicuous attention seeking over-consumption: if there's enough of a buzz on social media I bet some idiot will do it.

Get a parade/protest permit for Times Square.  Fence off the streets from the sidewalk.  Have builders move ornate furniture in the middle of the street so you and your crew can recline in the middle of the world and chill while everyone else has to change plans for the day.  Bonus if you can get some kicked out of Brooklyn via gentrification bums to serve you drinks.

Basically shut down a good part of the city just so they can notice how sweet it is you got that cash.

Just had that idea today.  How much would that cost?

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3332 on: October 28, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »
A high school friend recently passed the bar exam which she proudly posted on Facebook. She's turning 40 this year and so a few years back she quit her job and became a full time student in a city 5 hours away for law school. She's currently a single mom, living at home and going through a divorce. Saying that the financial situation is not that great is an understatement.

What's the average debt for law school these days? 100K? The cavalier attitude people displays towards more and more student loan debt, even on here sometimes, is mind boggling to me.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #3333 on: October 28, 2015, 05:05:02 PM »

What's the average debt for law school these days? 100K? The cavalier attitude people displays towards more and more student loan debt, even on here sometimes, is mind boggling to me.

A person with $250K in student debt and a job paying under 6 figures proudly told me, "Well it's the safest debt to take on, they can never repossess my degree."

If you try hard enough, you can justify anything.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3334 on: October 28, 2015, 09:31:04 PM »

Egads!  http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/grad-debt-rankings

Grigory

• Stubble
  • (rhymes with "story")
    • my attempt at blogging
« Reply #3335 on: October 28, 2015, 11:25:34 PM »

I don't know which is more horrifying--the amount spent (which is basically my grocery budget for the MONTH), that this was written by a white woman in her mid-thirties, or that people actually thought this was funny.

I'm horrified that your food budget for the month is 150% higher than mine! :-P

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3336 on: October 29, 2015, 04:01:15 AM »

I'm horrified that your food budget for the month is 150% higher than mine! :-P

I'm working on it, dammit!  :D

justajane

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3337 on: October 29, 2015, 07:33:33 AM »

Egads!  http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/grad-debt-rankings

What's even worse is that this ranking of most school debt in no way correlates with the top ranked schools. In other words, people who come out of the Florida Coastal School of Law aren't guaranteed the future salary of, say, a Yale School of Law graduate. I don't know if this is still the case, but in the 90s I met a girl at Yale Law who said that, if they didn't get a corporate job paying 300K or something insane, Yale would forgive or pay off their loans. I don't imagine this would apply if you were just pissing around, but the intent was to reward those who went into less lucrative law careers in the public sector.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3338 on: October 29, 2015, 12:33:45 PM »

What's even worse is that this ranking of most school debt in no way correlates with the top ranked schools. In other words, people who come out of the Florida Coastal School of Law aren't guaranteed the future salary of, say, a Yale School of Law graduate. I don't know if this is still the case, but in the 90s I met a girl at Yale Law who said that, if they didn't get a corporate job paying 300K or something insane, Yale would forgive or pay off their loans. I don't imagine this would apply if you were just pissing around, but the intent was to reward those who went into less lucrative law careers in the public sector.

Most schools offer in-house loan repayment programs for non-profit work.  The federal government will also forgive your debt after 10 years of public service.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3339 on: October 29, 2015, 04:10:25 PM »

Most schools offer in-house loan repayment programs for non-profit work.  The federal government will also forgive your debt after 10 years of public service.

There's also Teach For America, a program that forgives student loan debt in exchange for trying to teach in have-not schools. I have a friend who came through that system, but by the time she completed the TFA requirement to have her tuition forgiven she was the most senior teacher or administrator in the entire school. The turnover was so high because of the brutal working conditions that few people completed the program at her location.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3340 on: October 30, 2015, 10:19:48 AM »
I have a former co-worker I'm connected with on Facebook.  This guy works in finance and is married to a doctor, so they do well on the income front.  Here's a few of his ongoing Facebook sagas:

1.  He decides to invest in three investment properties within 6 months in Reno.  His thesis is that the new Tesla factory will cause prices to skyrocket there.  He immediately takes out mortgages that cost as much as he will earn in rent.  (I don't know the exact financial details, I actually assume he'll do okay here but he's taking on a lot of risk).
2.  While in the middle of this process, he up and decides to sell his house and move to a more expensive city.  Old house is sized fine for his family, but is in a hilly area, and under the SFO flightline.  He's been in the house a while, so given the SF housing market, he's surely done well.  However, the new house is at least 20-30% more expensive, and is in a city built on a landfill that is slowly sinking into the SF bay.  I read the disclosures on new homes being built there a few years back, and they warn that these home might sink as much as 4ft over the next 50 years.
3.  Guy has no liquidity to his name during this process.  He literally posted a screenshot of his bank accounts showing less than $1 in combined liquidity for his family.  This was ~1 week ago.
4.  Just today he posts that his Volvo XC60 is getting too small for his family (wife and one kid), and is looking for recommendations between SUV's like the Honda Pilot, Escalade or Audi Q7.

3okirb

• Stubble
« Reply #3341 on: October 30, 2015, 10:40:53 AM »
I have a former co-worker I'm connected with on Facebook.  This guy works in finance and is married to a doctor, so they do well on the income front.  Here's a few of his ongoing Facebook sagas:

1.  He decides to invest in three investment properties within 6 months in Reno.  His thesis is that the new Tesla factory will cause prices to skyrocket there.  He immediately takes out mortgages that cost as much as he will earn in rent.  (I don't know the exact financial details, I actually assume he'll do okay here but he's taking on a lot of risk).
2.  While in the middle of this process, he up and decides to sell his house and move to a more expensive city.  Old house is sized fine for his family, but is in a hilly area, and under the SFO flightline.  He's been in the house a while, so given the SF housing market, he's surely done well.  However, the new house is at least 20-30% more expensive, and is in a city built on a landfill that is slowly sinking into the SF bay.  I read the disclosures on new homes being built there a few years back, and they warn that these home might sink as much as 4ft over the next 50 years.
3.  Guy has no liquidity to his name during this process.  He literally posted a screenshot of his bank accounts showing less than $1 in combined liquidity for his family.  This was ~1 week ago.
4.  Just today he posts that his Volvo XC60 is getting too small for his family (wife and one kid), and is looking for recommendations between SUV's like the Honda Pilot, Escalade or Audi Q7.

I know he's not the Dr. in this situation, but I can tell you that in my experience, doctors are some of the worst money managers (there are exceptions) of any profession I've had the privilege of working with.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3342 on: October 30, 2015, 12:24:18 PM »

I know he's not the Dr. in this situation, but I can tell you that in my experience, doctors are some of the worst money managers (there are exceptions) of any profession I've had the privilege of working with.

+1. Anecdotal but based on my direct experience, people in medicine and finance make some of the dumbest money decisions.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #3343 on: October 30, 2015, 12:25:16 PM »
People in finance are also the subject of many lulz stories in this forum.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3344 on: October 30, 2015, 12:53:57 PM »

OMG!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3345 on: October 30, 2015, 12:55:34 PM »
Is that a humblebrag or stupidbrag or douchebrag?

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3346 on: October 30, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »

Awww, man! Who threw the Volvo through a hot water wash and stuck it in the dryer on high again?? I hate when that happens!

Beaker

• Bristles
« Reply #3347 on: October 30, 2015, 01:00:53 PM »
...they warn that these home might sink as much as 4ft over the next 50 years.

Wait, so they expect them to sink an inch per year? How can that even work? Wouldn't that result in your sewer flowing backwards almost immediately?

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3348 on: October 30, 2015, 02:29:10 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention, they HAD to buy a brand new boat when they bought the house because you don't buy a house on a lagoon without buying a boat, right?

...they warn that these home might sink as much as 4ft over the next 50 years.

Wait, so they expect them to sink an inch per year? How can that even work? Wouldn't that result in your sewer flowing backwards almost immediately?

I honestly don't know the real risks.  Being an "as much as" number, I'm sure that's the worst case scenario.  It's also in an earthquake liquefaction zone, so they might be assuming most of it happens all at once.

I did work in a big office building in that city with very deep pilings, built sometime in the 1980's.  The sidewalk by the road is now maybe 6-12 inches lower than the base of the building.  I assume it was flat when they built it.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3349 on: October 30, 2015, 02:31:07 PM »

Get a parade/protest permit for Times Square.  Fence off the streets from the sidewalk.  Have builders move ornate furniture in the middle of the street so you and your crew can recline in the middle of the world and chill while everyone else has to change plans for the day.  Bonus if you can get some kicked out of Brooklyn via gentrification bums to serve you drinks.

Basically shut down a good part of the city just so they can notice how sweet it is you got that cash.

Just had that idea today.  How much would that cost?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXvJqiyiMqQ

1000% relevant.