Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081754 times)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #950 on: October 21, 2014, 02:39:40 PM »
People go into debt for Christmas?!?  What the fuck for?

My mom does this, she loves to spend a ton of money every year on useless crap I couldn't care less about.  Then celebrates around Oct/Nov when she finally pays off the previous Christmas so she can start shopping all over again.  I used to beg her not to do it but finally gave up and started an amazon.com wishlist because I figure, if she's going to spend $1,000 on me alone, I might as well get stuff I want.  Unfortunately, she barely looks at it and I still get nothing but useless crap that ends up at Goodwill.  sigh... I really wish she would stop.  Her and my dad don't have much money and are really struggling in retirement, but I have no clue how to make her stop.  She insists it makes her happy.  :(

I would guess, based on my own and my friends' mothers, that what actually makes her happy is to feel like she's taking care of you, helping you out, contributing to your life. Actually, that might be based on me, too. When I started to only see my little sisters once or twice a year, I started to care a lot more about how good their bday/xmas presents were (although for me that didn't translate into much more $$...maybe a little in the wrapping/presentation). It was a way to show I cared and to be a part of their life. If that's the case, you need to come up with a different way for your  mom to be involved/helpful if you want to eliminate the shopaholic tendency...

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #951 on: October 22, 2014, 08:46:48 AM »
My mom does this, she loves to spend a ton of money every year on useless crap I couldn't care less about.  Then celebrates around Oct/Nov when she finally pays off the previous Christmas so she can start shopping all over again.  I used to beg her not to do it but finally gave up and started an amazon.com wishlist because I figure, if she's going to spend $1,000 on me alone, I might as well get stuff I want.  Unfortunately, she barely looks at it and I still get nothing but useless crap that ends up at Goodwill.  sigh... I really wish she would stop.  Her and my dad don't have much money and are really struggling in retirement, but I have no clue how to make her stop.  She insists it makes her happy.  :(

Suggest to your Mom something she could spend money on that would really be valuable. Maybe she could contribute to your kids' college fund? Or help you save for a down payment, or help payoff a mortgage early? Something that would be a genuine help to you.
LOL, I've tried that with my mother and it never works.  She wants to buy stuff and then she spends money shipping it to me.  I think it is just a different mindset.

VirginiaBob

• Bristles
    • LRJ Discounters
« Reply #952 on: October 22, 2014, 08:55:25 AM »

Suggest to your Mom something she could spend money on that would really be valuable. Maybe she could contribute to your kids' college fund? Or help you save for a down payment, or help payoff a mortgage early? Something that would be a genuine help to you.
LOL, I've tried that with my mother and it never works.  She wants to buy stuff and then she spends money shipping it to me.  I think it is just a different mindset.

My mom prints articles from websites, puts them in a mailing envelope, and sends them to me.  Just send me the link in an email Mom!  Ink, paper, postage, envelope, fuel, time, ahhhhhh!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:22:55 AM by VirginiaBob »

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #953 on: October 22, 2014, 11:27:47 AM »
OHH wow, I would go crazy if my mom did that.  Not as bad, but it took my mom forever to realize that leaving me a voice mail saying "its mom, call me back" is completely unnecessary because my phone will tell me that I missed a call from her.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #954 on: October 22, 2014, 11:48:53 AM »
OHH wow, I would go crazy if my mom did that.  Not as bad, but it took my mom forever to realize that leaving me a voice mail saying "its mom, call me back" is completely unnecessary because my phone will tell me that I missed a call from her.

Hmm. Unless my mom leaves a message, I don't assume I need to call back. I usually do anyway, but unless there's a message I assume she just called to chat, and calling back isn't urgent.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #955 on: October 22, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »
now that's tasty foam!  Printing articles and mailing them is priceless :)

I think I'm going to start a new thread to see if we can get more gems like that one.

My mom prints articles from websites, puts them in a mailing envelope, and sends them to me.  Just send me the link in an email Mom!  Ink, paper, postage, envelope, fuel, time, ahhhhhh!

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #956 on: October 23, 2014, 02:04:48 PM »

Trust me, I have REALLY tried. She gets hurt really really easily and cried one year when she found out I didn't want something she gave me, so now I have to pretend.  My mom is not an easy person to deal with, my dad has also been trying for years, they almost ended up divorced because of it so he finally decided it was just not worth it and to let her do it.  Sigh... I've also tried the "please just give me money or gift cards" but it never works either, she just buys stuff claiming it makes her happy.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #957 on: October 23, 2014, 02:15:01 PM »
Bf's ex-roommates (couple) both just got big raises by switching jobs (~40% and ~75% increases). But somehow, I doubt they will find it any more feasible to save for a downpayment than they did before...although for all his eating takeout and having the newest game console and games, he does claim to have paid down $45k in student loans over 2-3 years. So perhaps there's hope...

Not bad, but I converted my spend-a-holic GF ("Mint says $900 spent on resturaunts and bars over my vacation to Singapore... New high score!") into a MMM saver. We're both having austerity month after some unexpected expenses popped up. Unwanted bathroom remodel for me, and some medical things for her.  But... In the last 10 months, she has reduced her student loan debt from 6 figures to $80,000. I've added the same amount to retirement accounts.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #958 on: October 23, 2014, 04:45:48 PM »
Bf's ex-roommates (couple) both just got big raises by switching jobs (~40% and ~75% increases). But somehow, I doubt they will find it any more feasible to save for a downpayment than they did before...although for all his eating takeout and having the newest game console and games, he does claim to have paid down $45k in student loans over 2-3 years. So perhaps there's hope...

Not bad, but I converted my spend-a-holic GF ("Mint says $900 spent on resturaunts and bars over my vacation to Singapore... New high score!") into a MMM saver. We're both having austerity month after some unexpected expenses popped up. Unwanted bathroom remodel for me, and some medical things for her.  But... In the last 10 months, she has reduced her student loan debt from 6 figures to $80,000. I've added the same amount to retirement accounts.

So your GF goes on wild bar-hopping sprees when you go out of town, or???

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #959 on: October 23, 2014, 05:15:05 PM »
I've had children in the house for 14 years, and have 9 more until the last one turns 18. Just looking at that math is making me tired.

Erica, I'll get on it. :)
My mom has had kids in the house for 32 years....and 1 more until the youngest is 18. She said there's advantages to having them young, and advantages to having them when your older, but don't do both :)

This is PRICELESS!  I have 6 kids over a 21 year span and I agree 100% with your mom.  She's a very wise lady.  My oldest will be 29 next week and the youngest will be 8 in January.

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #960 on: October 23, 2014, 08:49:46 PM »
I've had children in the house for 14 years, and have 9 more until the last one turns 18. Just looking at that math is making me tired.

My mom has had kids in the house for 32 years....and 1 more until the youngest is 18. She said there's advantages to having them young, and advantages to having them when your older, but don't do both :)

This is PRICELESS!  I have 6 kids over a 21 year span and I agree 100% with your mom.  She's a very wise lady.  My oldest will be 29 next week and the youngest will be 8 in January.
what would you say is the hardest part of it? I am shy of 30, have an almost 10 year old and recently got married... Im pretty set that I dont want any more children; there are other factors of course but one of the biggest one is that big time lapse. Ugghh makes me tired just thinking about starting over at this point...

resy

• Bristles
« Reply #961 on: October 23, 2014, 10:08:07 PM »
Finally have one.
Friend on welfare that is always complaining about cost of this and that, rent, being so deprived, etc ( lives with bf, kidless but works part time only) ranted tonight about how poor her couldnt find a halloween costume that was both inexpensive and fit her (shes overweight).
I commented on making her own and soon after 3 other ppl followed by posting their own diy costumes on the comment thread to encourage her...its been all evening and no response from her.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #962 on: October 24, 2014, 06:47:38 AM »

I was going to say that I used to do this but I really didn't. I'd get a ps2/ps3 at least a year after it came out, on sale (like black friday). But before we tracked every penny, I did end up paying down my student loans (about 25k) in a few years. Man I can't wait till my mortgage is done!

lakemom

• Bristles
« Reply #963 on: October 24, 2014, 06:00:21 PM »

what would you say is the hardest part of it? I am shy of 30, have an almost 10 year old and recently got married... Im pretty set that I dont want any more children; there are other factors of course but one of the biggest one is that big time lapse. Ugghh makes me tired just thinking about starting over at this point...

They are always at such different stages in life!  My oldest has a 1yo and the youngest is still in elementary school.  The first 4 were born over a 9 year span then a 7 year gap to #5 and a 5 year gap to #6.  The two youngest are like a second family.  They keep you young but at the same time they wear you out.  If you have a 10yo it will definitely be like starting over but if you are sure you want more then you'll make it work. 

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #964 on: October 25, 2014, 02:30:58 PM »
I knocked out three kids in 34 months-- had a newborn, one, and two year old all by age 29. I also earned a master's degree in the middle of all this breeding. The first five years were the toughest -- reflecting back I have no idea how I did it. 

Now, they're ages 10, 12, and 13 and pretty self-sufficient. I'm glad I had them young. Just turned 40 and there's no way I would be wanting an infant or toddler at this age.

voidmain

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #965 on: October 26, 2014, 12:01:42 PM »
Not on FB, but on reddit:
Retirement is shorter than you think. Building your life around retirement seems like a strange choice. Half of us will enjoy fewer than 16 years of retirement, assuming they don't shift the retirement age again. (links to life expectancy graph)

Its as if the thought of being able to retire at any age besides 67 has never crossed his/her mind. Sad really

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #966 on: October 26, 2014, 02:49:09 PM »
Not on FB, but on reddit:
Retirement is shorter than you think. Building your life around retirement seems like a strange choice. Half of us will enjoy fewer than 16 years of retirement, assuming they don't shift the retirement age again. (links to life expectancy graph)

Its as if the thought of being able to retire at any age besides 67 has never crossed his/her mind. Sad really

Or that the government decides when you are "allowed" to retire...

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #967 on: October 27, 2014, 07:37:15 AM »
Ah, shit, a perpetually-broke family friend just announced via Facebook that she has become a Jamberry "sales consultant".

At least when her sister was selling that Pampered Chef crap we got some decent stoneware out of it.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #968 on: October 27, 2014, 07:57:16 AM »
My friend, who lost her house this summer (underwater and forced relocation for work), has posted the following purchases in the past month:

* New leather jackets for herself and her son
* Entirely new wardrobe for her husband ("And all under $500!")
* 4 pictures of fancy meals out with requisite fancy cocktails
* New vanity car license plates
* 3 new not-cheap outfits for corporate dress-up days
* Branded work-out clothes to go with the expensive work-out systems she buys
* 2 expensive family outings

Last month, she posted about how she wished they could afford for her husband to be a SAHP because it made their lives so much easier, and yet how desperate she was for her husband to get a new job. So he did. It's a 2-hour commute in each direction.

I bite my tongue, but it's hard to watch.

Neustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #969 on: October 27, 2014, 08:44:36 AM »
My friend, who lost her house this summer (underwater and forced relocation for work), has posted the following purchases in the past month:

* New leather jackets for herself and her son
* Entirely new wardrobe for her husband ("And all under $500!")
* 4 pictures of fancy meals out with requisite fancy cocktails
* New vanity car license plates
* 3 new not-cheap outfits for corporate dress-up days
* Branded work-out clothes to go with the expensive work-out systems she buys
* 2 expensive family outings

Last month, she posted about how she wished they could afford for her husband to be a SAHP because it made their lives so much easier, and yet how desperate she was for her husband to get a new job. So he did. It's a 2-hour commute in each direction.

I bite my tongue, but it's hard to watch.

Oh wow.  That would be hard to watch.  It's one thing if they are spendy and happy with the dual incomes.  But to want a SAHP but still be stuck in these bad habits?  Ugh.  And a 2 hour commute!  Eee Gads!

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #970 on: October 27, 2014, 10:37:43 AM »
Back in September I posted on this thread about someone who bought a brand new car rather then repair their old one even though they have almost no money.    A couple of days ago She posted a picture of a nail through one of the tires and she was almost begging if anyone knew if it would be covered by warranty on the car.   She didn't have the $20 a flat repair would cost if she has to pay for it.   She was far less happy when I pointed out that it's pretty close to the sidewall and it may need replaced as they don't patch sidewall damage...     

Still no update on if  tire damage is covered with a new cars warranty...

<EDIT>     Just got an update it wasn't repairable but thank god it was covered by warranty... </edit>
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 10:55:39 AM by strider3700 »

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #971 on: October 27, 2014, 11:20:04 AM »
What warranty covers nails in tires? I'm just curious if that's sort of a "no questions asked if within x miles" sort of deal.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #972 on: October 27, 2014, 11:28:12 AM »
What warranty covers nails in tires? I'm just curious if that's sort of a "no questions asked if within x miles" sort of deal.

A lot of tire stores have "road hazard" coverage for this sort of thing; I imagine that the same provision might come with a new car. I don't know, I've never had one.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #973 on: October 27, 2014, 11:36:56 AM »
apparently there is something called  tire guard which came with the new car.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #974 on: October 27, 2014, 02:17:03 PM »

They call it a warranty, but it's more like a service contract.  Like "free" 2-years roadside assistance, it's a marketing gimmick included in the price of the car.  Most tire places have something similar where they prorate new tires based on mileage or thickness if unrepairable

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #975 on: October 29, 2014, 02:00:40 AM »
This is a sad one... :-(

Half-sister-in-law has been experiencing a long stint of unemployment and has reached the point of 3-day pay rent or quit. She's been trying to sell her possessions, including very expensive rings, couches, and a new washer and dryer set. She has also been begging for help finding employment, even offering to work a week for free to be given a chance (she works in marketing). Unfortunately, and familiar to this forum, she mixes her pleas for help with money with pictures of her at the aquarium, at nice restaurants, having drinks with friends, and so on.

A few hours ago, she posted suicidal thoughts on Facebook and then vanished from everyone's radar. Something like 8 hours later, after hours of people (including a sheriff) driving and calling to find her, they've finally found her back at home. I'm not sure what's happening with her now, but I hope she'll be under surveillance tonight.

It's so difficult to watch her experiencing such hardship, especially since some of it is self-imposed, and even more difficult now that her suicidal thoughts are public.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #976 on: October 29, 2014, 06:24:32 AM »
This is a sad one... :-(

Half-sister-in-law has been experiencing a long stint of unemployment and has reached the point of 3-day pay rent or quit. She's been trying to sell her possessions, including very expensive rings, couches, and a new washer and dryer set. She has also been begging for help finding employment, even offering to work a week for free to be given a chance (she works in marketing). Unfortunately, and familiar to this forum, she mixes her pleas for help with money with pictures of her at the aquarium, at nice restaurants, having drinks with friends, and so on.

A few hours ago, she posted suicidal thoughts on Facebook and then vanished from everyone's radar. Something like 8 hours later, after hours of people (including a sheriff) driving and calling to find her, they've finally found her back at home. I'm not sure what's happening with her now, but I hope she'll be under surveillance tonight.

It's so difficult to watch her experiencing such hardship, especially since some of it is self-imposed, and even more difficult now that her suicidal thoughts are public.

That is really sad. Hard to watch. Hopefully things turn around for her soon!!!

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #977 on: October 29, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »
Someone I know (single, good professional job) posted a GoFundMe request for her dog's spinal surgery . . .

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #978 on: October 29, 2014, 11:47:54 AM »
Someone I know (single, good professional job) posted a GoFundMe request for her dog's spinal surgery . . .

My friend recently posted a dog plea, a request for a few hundred dollars to finish part of a fence in her yard so that her little dogs would not get beaten up by the big dogs.

She makes a modest, but steady, salary. She's been employed at the same place for 20 years.  She has always been bad with money in that she carefully plots her next large purchase, figures out what the monthly payments will be, and then goes for it.  I suppose that in her mind she is being careful and thoughtful because, hey, she plans for the monthly payments in her budget. But clearly this method has left her with no cushion.

Anyway, I sent her a check for a couple hundred, against DH's wishes. He's a severe Mustachian and doesn't cotton to helping those who don't help themselves. I pointed out to her that I was happy to help this year because we are both still working, but next year I'll be retired and money will be tight. Just to, you know, head off any more requests.

I think she must have received push-back from friends and relatives because the next day, after sending about Email about her GoFundMe request, she apologized. I still wanted the money to go to her, however.

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #979 on: October 30, 2014, 08:57:33 AM »
YESS!! I finally saw a good one in my news feed!  Here goes:

"My perfectly good day just turned to shit when I realized the holiday make-up set I NEED TO HAVE that was released at midnight today is already sold out! Not just sold out but sold out at Sephora, Ulta & their website as well as in the UK! FML! What the actual F*ck!?! I am dumb for waiting until 8 hours after it was released, so this is even worse because it's totally my own fault, but I just didn't think at $280 it would sell out immediately, EVERYWHERE! so I decided to wait until morning. Now I will spend my day drowning in my own tears! This is the worst day of my life!"

Seriously....gross.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #980 on: October 30, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
Holy shit.  I hope the comments are along the line of telling her to get a fucking grip.

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #981 on: October 30, 2014, 09:29:10 AM »
I had to look this up to figure out what it was. Full disclosure, I am a woman and I do wear makeup, from kind of pricey brands too (but I only buy one of each type of item so overall I don't spend much). Even so, it blows my mind that she is freaking out over this:

http://www.urbandecay.com/naked-vault-by-urban-decay/604214923119.html

Yeah, I had to look that up too. I've never even heard of that brand! Shows how much I care about make-up, huh? :P

But seriously, how much make-up is that, even for someone who wears it everyday. A year? Two? IMO, the set is just a brilliant gimmick from the brand marketing -- makes people buy more than they otherwise would, on the guise of 'discount'. Cause seriously, how many people would actually buy the all the palettes otherwise? Or do I have too much faith in people and many people actually do buy all the palettes?

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #982 on: October 30, 2014, 09:34:07 AM »

"My perfectly good day just turned to shit when I realized the holiday make-up set I NEED TO HAVE that was released at midnight today is already sold out! Not just sold out but sold out at Sephora, Ulta & their website as well as in the UK! FML! What the actual F*ck!?! I am dumb for waiting until 8 hours after it was released, so this is even worse because it's totally my own fault, but I just didn't think at $280 it would sell out immediately, EVERYWHERE! so I decided to wait until morning. Now I will spend my day drowning in my own tears! This is the worst day of my life!"

Seriously....gross.

ho. ly. shit.

I also hope people told her to get a grip!!!

(also, Malaprop cocktail, love the name!)

But seriously, how much make-up is that, even for someone who wears it everyday. A year? Two? IMO, the set is just a brilliant gimmick from the brand marketing -- makes people buy more than they otherwise would, on the guise of 'discount'. Cause seriously, how many people would actually buy the all the palettes otherwise? Or do I have too much faith in people and many people actually do buy all the palettes?

yeah, I don't really understand either. and doesn't makeup typically have an expiration date? maybe the eyeshadow would be find indefinitely, assuming it's powder... but surely the lipgloss... I just don't get it.

This is a new sub that makes me chuckle:

http://www.reddit.com/r/dontfundme

I wish I could say it made me chuckle, but it actually made me throw up in my mouth like eight times and fear for humanity. dear God.

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #983 on: October 30, 2014, 09:44:37 AM »

Seriously....gross.

She must be a member of Generation Drama Queen, where everything is "the best," "the worst," "amazing" (and its bastard cousin "amazeballs"), "awful," "fantastic" or "horrible."  They don't just cry, they sob.  They don't just laugh, they scream.  I have young friends in the Bay Area who proclaimed a night earlier this week to be "the worst one EVAR!!!!!!" on my Facebook feed.  Why?  Because the San Francisco Giants lost a World Series game by a sizable margin.  If that's the worst thing that's ever happened to you, you live a VERY sweet life.  Superlatives, dial them down, please.

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #984 on: October 30, 2014, 09:47:16 AM »

Seriously....gross.

She must be a member of Generation Drama Queen, where everything is "the best," "the worst," "amazing" (and its bastard cousin "amazeballs"), "awful," "fantastic" or "horrible."  They don't just cry, they sob.  They don't just laugh, they scream.  I have young friends in the Bay Area who proclaimed a night earlier this week to be "the worst one EVAR!!!!!!" on my Facebook feed.  Why?  Because the San Francisco Giants lost a World Series game by a sizable margin.  If that's the worst thing that's ever happened to you, you live a VERY sweet life.  Superlatives, dial them down, please.

She's 30...she graduated high school the same year as I did.  I'm not nearly that dramatic...about anything.  I just don't get it.

ILoveMyBlondeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #985 on: October 30, 2014, 09:55:51 AM »

Seriously....gross.

It gets even better!!! Here is a selection of comments on her post:

Poster- Wow vault is gone ?!
Friend 1- I was gunna get it w my 20 percent off pass in two weeks lol
Friend 1- It'll come to stores tho it has to
Poster- YES! I knew you'd be the only one who understands my pain...or who would even know what I was talking about! I'm literally crying over here!!! #FirstWorldProblems
Friend 1- Lol damn yah I just got my savings pass yesterday and it isn't good til November 6 I believe was gunna wait til then plus I have $65 in gift cards too I was like yah I'm good lol
Poster- 20% off pass-smart girl you are!
Poster- Omg if it does I will just die of happiness!!!!!
Friend 1- I do want vice 3 and gift sexy tho (new glam glow trio)
Poster- I don't care if I have to order from the UK and pay more-I NEED IT!!!
Poster- You told me a couple months ago you wanted Vice 3 so you should totally get it!
Poster- I don't need any Vice but I need the friggin Vault!
Friend 2- Lol! You are SO DRAMATIC! There's a new MAC at Mayfair. Hehehe
Friend 1- I'll b getting both w my savings pass and gift cards and only have to pay 39 out of pocket plus tax for 129 bucks worth of items
Poster- [Friend 2] you just don't understand-this IS dramatic! And so happy about new MAC
Friend 1- I'm not a Mac girl
Friend 1- Don't get the appeal of it.... I like urban decay, too faced, and kat von d
Friend 1- Those r my brands
Poster- I am mostly a MAC girl...I will probably buy all their holiday sets but I need TNV! Let me know if you hear anything Natasha! And cross your fingers for both of us!!!
Friend 3- Or you just saved 280?? Lol you girls n ur crazy make up prices
Poster- No because we wait all year for this stuff to come out and holiday sets are limited always and usually amazing deals! I want all these things and buying it this way saves me $80!
Friend 3- [Poster] we need to go outlet mall shopping again
Poster- I know!

At least Friend 3 has a head on her shoulders...well sort of, until the outlet mall comment.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:57:25 AM by Valerie_Jo »

Sylly

• Bristles
« Reply #986 on: October 30, 2014, 10:09:54 AM »
I can actually answer this one, because a decade or so ago, and I can't believe I'm admitting this, but as a diversion I used to read a forum dedicated to makeup. The answer is not one year, not two years, but essentially forever.

Thanks for the insight. I guess people will collect anything...
But.. doesn't make up go bad over time? They probably last longer than whatever exp date is listed, but still, if we're talking years and years.. at some point it's no good anymore, no?

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #987 on: October 30, 2014, 10:17:01 AM »
Please don't put this on my generation! O.o

I hate it when people say "need" in these types of cases
(And, yeah, I say "hate" in the same type of exaggerating way, but at least my phrasing doesn't contribute to hyper-consumerism...)

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:15:51 AM by NumberCruncher »

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #988 on: October 30, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »

I can actually answer this one, because a decade or so ago, and I can't believe I'm admitting this, but as a diversion I used to read a forum dedicated to makeup. The answer is not one year, not two years, but essentially forever.

Can you give us a link to that forum? Might be fun to point and laugh.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #989 on: October 30, 2014, 10:56:37 AM »

Seriously....gross.

OMG I can't even

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #990 on: October 30, 2014, 12:33:10 PM »

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #991 on: October 30, 2014, 12:37:55 PM »

Seriously....gross.

OMG I can't even

Seen on Facebook, of course.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #992 on: October 30, 2014, 12:41:29 PM »

Thanks for the insight. I guess people will collect anything...
But.. doesn't make up go bad over time? They probably last longer than whatever exp date is listed, but still, if we're talking years and years.. at some point it's no good anymore, no?

It really depends on how you use the make up. The make up itself can last forever, but people recommend changing it due to the germs and crap that can grow in it. If you regularly clean your brushes, avoid using your fingers to apply, and keep it out of warm and moist areas (NOT a good idea to leave make up in your bathroom, but a lot of people do it anyway), you can have it forever. I have eye shadow and blush that I've had for at least 4 or 5 years. This doesn't apply to anything you apply directly to your skin, like lipstick and lip gloss, unless you use a brush for that too. I believe lipstick should only be kept for 6-12 months, but I also have had the same lipstick for years too.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #993 on: October 30, 2014, 06:54:10 PM »
Why do sorority girls travel in groups of three? 

Because they literally can't even.

(credit goes to my daughter for telling me this one).

Seen on Facebook, of course.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #994 on: October 31, 2014, 09:26:31 AM »
I'm amazed at all the store bought Halloween costumes on my FB feed.  While I consider the cute pictures of people's kids in costume a part of my toll for not complaining about their snap happy ways the rest of the year, it shocks me that so many people pay 20-30 bucks a pop for something that'll be worn less than 1 day.

The best one so far is homemade - the parent dressed in a white coverall suit from the hardware store with red tape, then  dressed their kid in black.  Bowling with a toddler!

Saw on the news this morning that people are paying as much as $500 for a costume...

Got time for $3 from the thrift store... and some time to make it.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #995 on: October 31, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »
I'm amazed at all the store bought Halloween costumes on my FB feed.  While I consider the cute pictures of people's kids in costume a part of my toll for not complaining about their snap happy ways the rest of the year, it shocks me that so many people pay 20-30 bucks a pop for something that'll be worn less than 1 day.

I don't know a single kid who only wears their costume for 1 day.  You probably don't see them because the rest of the time the costume gets worn around the house, for dress-up and playtime and, heck, even just watching T.V. because kids like to dress up as something different than a kid.
That being said, I totally agree that the best costumes are homemade, and usually dirt cheap.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #996 on: October 31, 2014, 11:18:32 AM »

The best one so far is homemade - the parent dressed in a white coverall suit from the hardware store with red tape, then  dressed their kid in black.  Bowling with a toddler!
Meh, we used to make our son's costumes...pirate, Navy sailor (complete with wagon turned into a submarine), butterfly (from the Eric Carle book).

But then it just got to be too much work.

We spend normally $20-$30 on a costume.

But they get worn.  At the school festival.  Then at the company potluck.  Then at school on Halloween.  Then Halloween night for trick or treating.

And then at least twice a week for the next year or two (as long as they fit) for dress up.

Seriously, we had an Obi-Wan costume, a race car driver costume, and Darth Vader costume (ages 4, 5, 6).  At least twice a week for the next 6 months, my son and his two girl friends from across the street would run in after school (I pick up all the kids after school), and throw on one of the outfits and play.  They all got sad when they started growing out of the race car costume.

You could resell for 1/3 the price too.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #997 on: October 31, 2014, 11:20:58 AM »

Homemade is best for older kids. And they should participate. I like that my friends are putting their babies into costume-onesies, though, instead of coming up with some contraption (one is a tigger, one is a dalmatian puppy). I like that the kids are clearly comfortable. Obviously no need to dress up an infant for Halloween, but if you're going to, sacrificing $$ and not the kid's comfort is preferable. In my opinion.

Lyngi

• Stubble
« Reply #998 on: November 01, 2014, 11:31:27 AM »
This belongs both on the "overheard at work" and Anti-antimustacian" threads, but it fits here.  At work:  I saw a little kid yesterday who's mom couldn't afford to buy him a new costume, so he wore last years police officer costume.  His little legs had grown-about 6 inches sticking out and the costume was really tight--, Mom said "Barney Fife"  He looked absolutely adorable.

CabinetGuy

• Stubble
« Reply #999 on: November 02, 2014, 07:38:27 AM »
"Guess who just got a Q3?!"  Husband posting a pic of his wife in new car.

Guess who just turned in their leased CRV to do so.  But it's a "company lease program" so it's "really affordable."  And your company is keeping you perpetually in need of a paycheck...can't you see that?

Granted, they both make a ton of money combined, and they're young (early thirties.)  but they both work in a high stress industry.  Yes, I'm jealous.  But God damn it, why are you telling me that you want to retire ASAP in Costs Rica, but keep doing shit like this?

Oh well.