Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082131 times)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #600 on: July 29, 2014, 01:43:47 PM »
Not on FB but on another forum, a lady was advertising her Gofundme

She wanted people to donate so she and her DH could take their 2 and 5 year olds on a 5 week cruise/disney vacation While their they would homeschool all around Disney and take pictures and video to document their trip for everyone to see.

It was only up for a bit before those mama's gave her huge face punches along the lines of:

"you want me to fund your trip to Disney when I can't even afford to take my own kids" and lots of other things saying the same thing.

The nerve of some people, at least half, maybe 90% of Gofundme is ridiculous and could have been avoided with some financial planning.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #601 on: July 29, 2014, 02:03:12 PM »
From a "Friend" on FB:

Please help send my daughter (she's maybe 15) to Haiti so she can do missionary work for a week...any donation will help.

I'm all for helping people in need, but you want me to donate money so your daughter can go to Haiti?  Wouldn't my money be better spent donating it directly to an established charity that is already there???

Not my job to pay for someone else's kids life experiences...
As someone who has worked professionally at this kind of thing, you're absolutely right about this. People going somewhere for a week (even a month) are on a vacation and they cause more trouble than they're worth for the agency using them. A random untrained foreigner isn't going to be able to do anything that a local couldn't do better (and get more out of, regardless of "life lessons" learned).

I don't mean to mock people who probably have good intentions, I just don't like that people frequently mobilize feelings of obligation and altruism for ventures that really don't help others.

Yeah, I can sympathize and understand the idea of mission trips, but I inwardly feel that it would be a far more effective use of resources to instead give it to a local organization.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #602 on: July 29, 2014, 07:24:11 PM »
From a "Friend" on FB:

Please help send my daughter (she's maybe 15) to Haiti so she can do missionary work for a week...any donation will help.

I'm all for helping people in need, but you want me to donate money so your daughter can go to Haiti?  Wouldn't my money be better spent donating it directly to an established charity that is already there???

As someone who has worked professionally at this kind of thing, you're absolutely right about this. People going somewhere for a week (even a month) are on a vacation and they cause more trouble than they're worth for the agency using them. A random untrained foreigner isn't going to be able to do anything that a local couldn't do better (and get more out of, regardless of "life lessons" learned).

I don't mean to mock people who probably have good intentions, I just don't like that people frequently mobilize feelings of obligation and altruism for ventures that really don't help others.

Yeah, I can sympathize and understand the idea of mission trips, but I inwardly feel that it would be a far more effective use of resources to instead give it to a local organization.

The studies are out their and more than one, these short term missions trips are really bad and don't do any good except maybe for the kids going. But they take them as a mission, letting them think they are doing something really good for others, I wish they would tell them the truth and help them raise funds for grassroots campaigns already in those countries doing well, can you imagine how much it costs to fly the whole group their get hotels and food, wow.

I was a part of a few of them growing up, I won't be pushing my children to do the same, When you know better, you do better!

Rbuckyfuller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #603 on: July 29, 2014, 08:43:48 PM »
This might take the cake.  From a former coworker:

"Dear Friends and Family -

As you know, (GF) will be heading off to Nashville in August for grad school! In an effort to soothe the financial pain of $500 flights to see each other, we have started a fundraising campaign linked here - think Kickstarter, just without an "all-or-nothing" minimum.

We have set up prize thresholds for certain donation amounts as well so your donation does not go unrewarded! (Lauren's famous baked goods... perhaps a rap? Or how about an ORIGINAL SONG ABOUT YOU or a topic of your choice?)

Anything would be much appreciated! The campaign will only last about a month so we can get all of the songs done together before she leaves Thanks for the support, everyone!"

For $100 his GF will bake you something and they will write a song about you (they aren't musicians - he thinks he can rap)
For $150 you get the pleasure of coming to Nashville and going on a bike ride with them.  (Travel and lodging NOT included, for one person but DOES include a free pump up of your tires.)

He's a financial analyst, she's a nurse and going to grad school.  They both moved back to Michigan where they love the low cost of living.  She is employed, RNs in Michigan make ~65k on average.  He jumped ship from a company in Minneapolis.  All I know is he got a rase from his 54k/yr salary and has a lower cost of living.  Nevermind the fact that they go to concerts all the time and when he recently proposed he hired a photographer, rented a boat, had a catered meal, etc.  Now, hopefully he only gets engaged once, so I have no issue with that if that's his thing. But if I were asking people to pay for me to fly and see my girlfriend I wouldn't be bragging about my other expenditures on Facebook.

So umm, they do not want to have anyone visit them unless said guest has contributed to the travel fund?  Wow, that would be an awkward conversation... "Hmm, yeah, it would be nice if you came to visit, but you know how you only contributed $50, and only our friends at the $150 contribution level are welcome to visit us?  Sorry, but clearly you're not $uch a great friend afterall..."

Correct.  Also - you better provide your own lodging. So if you give them $150 and then drive from Michigan (or wherever) all the way down to Nashville hauling your bike and everything else, you don't even get to crash on her futon.

This is seriously the worst thing I have ever seen.  I am thankful I don't know anyone who has tried something this ridiculous.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #604 on: July 30, 2014, 05:45:21 AM »
From a "Friend" on FB:

I have this issue with a family member who received a great college degree and has CHOSEN not to use it and instead send out requests for money so she can convert people to Jesus. They have an engineering degree and could be making a real difference in these 3rd world country's peoples lives with engineers without borders etc.

This always makes me want to ask these people for money to fund my vacations

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #605 on: July 30, 2014, 09:06:12 AM »
From a "Friend" on FB:

I have this issue with a family member who received a great college degree and has CHOSEN not to use it and instead send out requests for money so she can convert people to Jesus. They have an engineering degree and could be making a real difference in these 3rd world country's peoples lives with engineers without borders etc.

This always makes me want to ask these people for money to fund my vacations

No, you need to ask for money so you can take time off from engineering and go to Barcelona to paint murals on the sides of buildings.  Really happy murals.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: July 31, 2014, 07:31:03 PM »
Got this gem from a coworker.

"Got my car back today!!! I didn't realize how much I loved it until I got back in!! Not sure if it's the great gas mileage, the easy to use touch screen, the peppy drive, the air conditioned seats, or the pure perfection of it's awesomeness... But I'm SO glad to have it back!!! Happy camper over here!!!"

The car in question......a Kia Soul.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #607 on: July 31, 2014, 07:48:53 PM »
Got this gem from a coworker.

"Got my car back today!!! I didn't realize how much I loved it until I got back in!! Not sure if it's the great gas mileage, the easy to use touch screen, the peppy drive, the air conditioned seats, or the pure perfection of it's awesomeness... But I'm SO glad to have it back!!! Happy camper over here!!!"

The car in question......a Kia Soul.

I hope he's saving the entire endorsement check

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: July 31, 2014, 08:52:08 PM »
Is the Kia Soul a bad car? I don't know much about them other than the model is relatively new. Overall it seems like an acceptable choice.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #609 on: August 01, 2014, 06:38:45 AM »
Is the Kia Soul a bad car? I don't know much about them other than the model is relatively new. Overall it seems like an acceptable choice.

I think it's more about how this co-worker is talking about their economy compact like it's a fully-loaded Cadillac.

I also have a friend with a Kia Soul, and went to check my Facebook to see if this quote was from him... because he talks the same way about it. I think it's kinda dorky looking, but I would agree that it's a totally reasonable choice for vehicular transportation.

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #610 on: August 01, 2014, 06:55:37 AM »

Yeah, also don't know much about the soul. Just looked it up on Kia's site.

The gas mileage is not good, by today's standards: 24/30 - only slightly better than my teenage Camry. My line for "good" gas mileage would be more like 30/35 at least.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #611 on: August 01, 2014, 07:53:07 AM »
I think it's more about how this co-worker is talking about their economy compact like it's a fully-loaded Cadillac.

I believe a key tenet of Mustachianism is fully appreciating what you do have. To be honest, I believe just about every current-model car in the American marketplace today is a motorized throne with music and climate control. It's much better to be ecstatic about owning a Kia than pining for a newer, more expensive piece of shiny.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #612 on: August 01, 2014, 08:04:04 AM »

I also have a friend with a Kia Soul, and went to check my Facebook to see if this quote was from him... because he talks the same way about it. I think it's kinda dorky looking, but I would agree that it's a totally reasonable choice for vehicular transportation.
But that's sweet. To me this is a demo of being happy with simple choices. The person we are making furn of doesn't have a tricked out BMW sedan. She's happy with her little Kia Soul.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #613 on: August 01, 2014, 08:08:44 AM »
A friend, who has come to me for financial advice in the past, just posted on FB a picture of his new Acura M-something (that I believe is a $50k car).

The caption states, "New toy with all the trimmings: roof rack, running boards, everything"

People responded with comments about how they deserve it , 'congratulations', 'looking good' and 'welcome to the club', etc. 

My husband responded: "Nice car. We just spent $3400 on our "new" 10 year old car."  He can be such an ass.

steadierfooting

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #614 on: August 01, 2014, 08:15:47 AM »

I also hate non-perishable drives, "we are collecting <toothpaste, cans of blah> for <the troops, haiti, blah blah, the poor>.  No, I'm not going to buy 5 tubes of toothpaste from the supermarket, pay taxes on it, and have profits go to P&G".  If I was going to donate, I'd rather give a check, get the tax deduction, and let the organization buy 1 million tubes at closer to cost.

I'm also not going to donate to specific causes like that, and well, I also ignore any and all requests for donations.  I pick 2 or 3 charities a year, and donate to them (my company does a donation match dollar for dollar).  I've found that most charities have no interest in the long game, when they solicit I'll tell them I only give donations once a year, but if they point me to a website I'll do some research on their cause.  Oh boy do I get a workaround on trying to make the donation now.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #615 on: August 01, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »

I believe a key tenet of Mustachianism is fully appreciating what you do have. To be honest, I believe just about every current-model car in the American marketplace today is a motorized throne with music and climate control. It's much better to be ecstatic about owning a Kia than pining for a newer, more expensive piece of shiny.

yeah, that was my thought exactly!!! I mean air conditioned seats and a touch screen are definitely overkill, but that's cool that he loves it so much and it's a (relatively) economic car (although I think they are ugly as hell, that's not that important ;)). I am equally nerdily enthusiastic about my Nissan Versa... I love the ability to transport large items, the fact that it has an auxiliary input so I can listen to my iPod, the air conditioning that works great, the shiny red color, the decent gas mileage, the fact that it doesn't hemorrhage oil like my old car... it is a delight in every way! :)

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #616 on: August 01, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »
My husband responded: "Nice car. We just spent $3400 on our "new" 10 year old car."  He can be such an ass.
LOL!

TheSimpleLife

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #617 on: August 01, 2014, 09:04:19 AM »
Not Facebook, but an announcement at a local function we attend:

Wife gets up in front of everyone, proceeds to invite the entire group over to her house for her husband's surprise birthday party the upcoming month.  About 250 people could show up, probably only 50 or so did.

After she gets done giving the details about the get together, she slips in this one liner:  "We will be providing all the food and drinks, so don't worry about bringing anything.  But instead of a gift or food, please feel free to donate money for this electronic drum set my husband has been wanting.  Blah Blah Blah...  It ONLY costs about $1,500, but if you guys help out we can probably get the nicer model!!"  I cleaned out my ears to make sure I was understanding what she was asking for/about. 

Later after the party, there was a Facebook update showing this fella playing his new drum set.  Needless to say, I won't be taking the time to get to know these crazy people who want me to pay for stuff they clearly can't afford on their own.  Some of the people in the group have trouble supporting their families (not due to overspending), but this lady has the nuts to ask them to donate to a completely unnecessary purchase!

What a joke!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #618 on: August 01, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »
Overheard on fb:
"Finally taking advantage of our private beach club after all these years...."

amused_bouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #619 on: August 01, 2014, 12:31:49 PM »

[/quote]

yeah, that was my thought exactly!!! I mean air conditioned seats and a touch screen are definitely overkill, but that's cool that he loves it so much and it's a (relatively) economic car (although I think they are ugly as hell, that's not that important ;)). I am equally nerdily enthusiastic about my Nissan Versa... I love the ability to transport large items, the fact that it has an auxiliary input so I can listen to my iPod, the air conditioning that works great, the shiny red color, the decent gas mileage, the fact that it doesn't hemorrhage oil like my old car... it is a delight in every way! :)
[/quote]

Another Versa lover here. It's amazing the amount of stuff that wee car can hold, while also fitting into the smallest parking spots.

This is from an FB acquaintance who I always get a good laugh at. He's getting his MBA in a party town and constantly complains about how he's broke and "so stressed" with school...
"Kickball + shotgun beer + bar hop + Taco Bell = Thursday productivity destroyed"

And no, he's not 18 (in his 30s).

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #620 on: August 01, 2014, 10:00:32 PM »
I didn't know the Kia Soul offered ventilated seats (they're not actually air conditioned, just have fans to pull air through them). Kia has really been offering a lot of luxury options lately, I know the new Kia Soul has a bunch of optional features not offered on most other compact cars.

Back to the topic, one of my friends posted a few days ago asking for cell phone recommendations. Cost was a concern. I recommended a phone and a low-cost MVNO. Friend's mom replied that they were only looking for a phone compatible with a regional, full-price carrier. I can pay for whatever the new iPhone costs (without contract) and run it on my MVNO for a year for less than anyone will spend on a smart phone and data plan for one year with the full-priced carrier!

MikeBear

• Bristles
« Reply #621 on: August 02, 2014, 04:24:59 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152493800985379&set=vb.615410378&type=2&theater

PSA for men look for a wife... Feel free to share this with your sons. LOL

MOD NOTE: Forum rule #6--Use good taste.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:31:07 AM by arebelspy »

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #622 on: August 02, 2014, 05:09:47 PM »

I also hate non-perishable drives, "we are collecting <toothpaste, cans of blah> for <the troops, haiti, blah blah, the poor>.  No, I'm not going to buy 5 tubes of toothpaste from the supermarket, pay taxes on it, and have profits go to P&G".  If I was going to donate, I'd rather give a check, get the tax deduction, and let the organization buy 1 million tubes at closer to cost.

I'm also not going to donate to specific causes like that, and well, I also ignore any and all requests for donations.  I pick 2 or 3 charities a year, and donate to them (my company does a donation match dollar for dollar).  I've found that most charities have no interest in the long game, when they solicit I'll tell them I only give donations once a year, but if they point me to a website I'll do some research on their cause.  Oh boy do I get a workaround on trying to make the donation now.

I agree that it is preferable to have people get the tax deduction for donations of money, which then the nonprofit organization would also not spend tax when buying the items.

However, there have been multiple scandals where money donated to an organization has been improperly used. Most recent example: Facebook donation to NJ school. But there are many other organizations that have received money and were paying their people tons of money. Idk about you, but I feel like the salary of a nonprofit worker shouldn't be an insane amount.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #623 on: August 02, 2014, 05:56:43 PM »
My friend is a blacksmith, a very talented one and he makes his wife metal flowers for valentines day, they are really beautiful, he has to make vases too though, because they are so heavy they would break most vases or at least never stand up in them :)

My Dh has sent me flowers for special occasions, not when he has been annoying, only for good things.
Does he or she have a website?

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #624 on: August 04, 2014, 09:57:51 AM »
An old college acquaintance:

"Who wants to sponsor my hearing aid...apparently insurance doesn't cover these things and the one I need is 3800...WTF.... Time to do some research on this one...there has got to be a loophole here that can help...so irritating"

Further down the comment conversation:

"actually it looks like after some research my insurance may cover 1000 so all I need now is another 2800...nbd let me get right on that"

2800 should be no big deal

Who wants to take bets on whether when this is all said and done that the cost will be shown in payments, not actual price?

CabinetGuy

• Stubble

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #626 on: August 04, 2014, 02:26:14 PM »

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #627 on: August 04, 2014, 04:27:48 PM »
Good grief...

http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2014/08/03/crowd-funding-pay-off-mortgage/
To give him credit from reading his story he is adopting mustachian habits. 1300 sqft home for him, wife, 3 kids and dog is impressive. 1994 honda civic with over 295,000 miles... I don't blame him for giving it a shot, he has managed to get $95 already.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #628 on: August 05, 2014, 05:44:30 AM »
Yes, there are a lot of Gofundme begging fails.  One woman I knew on Facebook who is very wealthy and wanted to hang on to her multi-million dollar home during a nasty divorce started a Gofundme to "save her kids childhood home".  Ummmmm, kids don't really care that much about having a giant house to live in.  Fortunately, she eventually snapped out of it and pulled the ad and apologized. 

I also saw a woman on FB who started a go fund me for her moving costs to Arizona.  She didn't have the $3000 to afford it for herself. 

A woman on a forum I frequent just found out her mortgage has a nearly $4000 deficit that needs to be paid by the end of the month, or else she has to have the amount split and added to her mortgage for a year.  She asked, "Who has $4000 just laying around?" and "I can't afford an extra $350 a month on my mortgage."  I thought of this forum right away. 

I don't ever want to be in the position of a) not knowing that my mortgage was being underpaid and b) not having an emergency fund for unexpected stuff like that. 

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #629 on: August 05, 2014, 10:06:17 AM »
A woman on a forum I frequent just found out her mortgage has a nearly $4000 deficit that needs to be paid by the end of the month, or else she has to have the amount split and added to her mortgage for a year.  She asked, "Who has $4000 just laying around?" and "I can't afford an extra $350 a month on my mortgage."  I thought of this forum right away. 

That's probably an escrow deficit - either her insurance or taxes was much higher than the bank was planning on.  Not having 4K lying around while having enough house to generate that kind of deficit is not good, but this is also something you can see coming at least a few months in advance if you pay attention - both your insurer and your taxing authorities should give you some kind of notice before the bill is due.  This is something you need to know, if you ever plan to pay off the mortgage because then you have to pay it yourself.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #630 on: August 07, 2014, 11:42:05 AM »
Imma go ahead and put myself on this for a sec... I posted on Sunday "Came home from one vacation only to plan another one!"

Now, before the facepunches start flying, the vacation I just returned home from was a long weekend at a friend's parents' lakehouse. Total cost was about $50 for a long weekend for gas, groceries (homecooked meals both days), and beer (it's vacation!) Split the gas cost with my boyfriend and we all split the grocery cost. The next vacation I've planned is a long weekend up to Niagara Falls. We're expecting the whole thing to come under $500, including two nights in a nice hotel, travel costs (we're driving), wine tasting, chocolate factory tour, boat tour of the falls, and all food. This will be split with my boyfriend, so I personally am looking at $250 for an incredible weekend.

Anyway, I get a comment from someone I went to college with, asking "How the hell can you afford two vacations in such a short amount of time?!?!?!" I respond that vacation one was a weekend trip to a friend's lakehouse, and vacation two is a drive up to Niagara Falls for a long weekend. His response? "Oh haahahaha, I thought you meant you were taking a REAL vacation." Meaning like the elaborate cruse he just took, or a trip to Disney, etc. Is a long weekend away not considered a vacation?

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #631 on: August 07, 2014, 12:31:03 PM »
Anyway, I get a comment from someone I went to college with, asking "How the hell can you afford two vacations in such a short amount of time?!?!?!" I respond that vacation one was a weekend trip to a friend's lakehouse, and vacation two is a drive up to Niagara Falls for a long weekend. His response? "Oh haahahaha, I thought you meant you were taking a REAL vacation." Meaning like the elaborate cruse he just took, or a trip to Disney, etc. Is a long weekend away not considered a vacation?

You would have to pay me to go on a cruise or to disney world.  Your holidays sound far better.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #632 on: August 07, 2014, 01:26:15 PM »
You would have to pay me to go on a cruise or to disney world.

Truth. That stomach bug that hit the one cruise ship (or was it more?) managed to work its way into my office... dealing with that in the privacy of my own apartment was bad enough. I could not imagine dealing with that on a cruise. Its put me off to the idea of those things forever. As for Disney... I don't like people. Niagara will always be popular, but we're going right at the beginning of the school year, so kiddos will be back at school and parents will be recovering from the summer. Hopefully it'll be quieter than in the middle of summer :)

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #633 on: August 07, 2014, 02:01:09 PM »
Heck those are my vacations. I like going places with my friends so weekends tend to be the only real options. Destination hang outs are the best!

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #634 on: August 07, 2014, 02:08:20 PM »
Imma go ahead and put myself on this for a sec... I posted on Sunday "Came home from one vacation only to plan another one!"

Now, before the facepunches start flying, the vacation I just returned home from was a long weekend at a friend's parents' lakehouse. Total cost was about $50 for a long weekend for gas, groceries (homecooked meals both days), and beer (it's vacation!) Split the gas cost with my boyfriend and we all split the grocery cost. The next vacation I've planned is a long weekend up to Niagara Falls. We're expecting the whole thing to come under $500, including two nights in a nice hotel, travel costs (we're driving), wine tasting, chocolate factory tour, boat tour of the falls, and all food. This will be split with my boyfriend, so I personally am looking at $250 for an incredible weekend.

Unsolicited suggestion: Two Rivers Bed and Breakfast. My then-girlfriend and I loved it there.

fartface

• Bristles
    • money apple
« Reply #635 on: August 08, 2014, 06:40:41 AM »
Today's spendthrift-and-in-debt-with-no-retirement-savings post (and picture) of the day!

"Soooo excited to see Katy Perry with my Girls!"

Now, a little background: underwater on her condo, wants desperately to buy a home with a yard for her small child (has no down payment so they can't) and last month a small group of us are sitting around a table talking about retirement. A second friend mentions she withholds 20% into her 401k. She shrieks, "20%? How the HELL can anyone save 20%!" I kept my 50% mouth shut.

She shops CONSTANTLY...I mean we're talking addiction. I finally asked her, after watching her blow hundreds at store after store, "How often do you GO shopping?" She replied, "Not often, I buy most things online these days.."

Face Palm.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 06:48:55 AM by fartface »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #636 on: August 08, 2014, 08:34:22 AM »

I agree that it is preferable to have people get the tax deduction for donations of money, which then the nonprofit organization would also not spend tax when buying the items.

However, there have been multiple scandals where money donated to an organization has been improperly used. Most recent example: Facebook donation to NJ school. But there are many other organizations that have received money and were paying their people tons of money. Idk about you, but I feel like the salary of a nonprofit worker shouldn't be an insane amount.

I used to donate a lot of toiletries that I got for free or nearly so (25 cents for toothpaste or deodorant) through couponing.  These drives are great, because P&G paid, not me.  That's when it makes sense to me to donate to them.  (I no longer coupon like this.  Less time and harder to get coupons cheaply.)

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #637 on: August 08, 2014, 11:27:37 AM »
Well I got a sad one today... I am not sure how many of you follow facebook, but right now there is a lot of list the three things you are greatfull for lasting seven days.  Well I was on there today, and my cousin posting her day one comments(most peoples are their wife kids and health on day one)

She posts:
1. Visa - you buy me nice stuff
2. Mastercard - you buy my groceries
3. Amex - my FUN card

OMG  I am not even sure what to say about this... i hope she is doing this for the points, but i suspect not, as they just took out a mortgage on a $400000 house with 5%down and drive a h2 and a convertable mustang...

Sometimes I wish I could just help people understand what they are doing...

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #638 on: August 08, 2014, 12:25:19 PM »
Well I got a sad one today... I am not sure how many of you follow facebook, but right now there is a lot of list the three things you are greatfull for lasting seven days.  Well I was on there today, and my cousin posting her day one comments(most peoples are their wife kids and health on day one)

She posts:
1. Visa - you buy me nice stuff
2. Mastercard - you buy my groceries
3. Amex - my FUN card

OMG  I am not even sure what to say about this... i hope she is doing this for the points, but i suspect not, as they just took out a mortgage on a $400000 house with 5%down and drive a h2 and a convertable mustang...

Sometimes I wish I could just help people understand what they are doing...

wow

I sat here for awhile trying to think of something clever to write here and got nothing.

Just fucking wow

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #639 on: August 08, 2014, 03:10:31 PM »
last month a small group of us are sitting around a table talking about retirement. A second friend mentions she withholds 20% into her 401k. She shrieks, "20%? How the HELL can anyone save 20%!" I kept my 50% mouth shut.

That's too bad; you missed a perfect opportunity to blow her mind so thoroughly she might reexamine her life (or at least, twist the knife for your own amusement!).

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #640 on: August 08, 2014, 05:57:35 PM »
My friend is a blacksmith, a very talented one and he makes his wife metal flowers for valentines day, they are really beautiful, he has to make vases too though, because they are so heavy they would break most vases or at least never stand up in them :)

My Dh has sent me flowers for special occasions, not when he has been annoying, only for good things.

I don't think he keeps it updated because he isn't coin git anymore for his job, I tried messaging his wife but haven't heard back.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #641 on: August 08, 2014, 06:27:02 PM »

A Facebook page, here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barzillai-Forge/207284169295242?ref=ts&fref=ts

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #642 on: August 09, 2014, 12:21:01 AM »

A Facebook page, here https://www.facebook.com/pages/Barzillai-Forge/207284169295242?ref=ts&fref=ts

Those are absolutely stunning!

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #643 on: August 09, 2014, 01:52:01 AM »

Probably not. When I say "vacation" it means at least a week. Doesn't have to be expensive of course.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #644 on: August 09, 2014, 08:33:38 AM »

yeah, I think so too, he does incredible work!

Those are absolutely stunning!

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #645 on: August 09, 2014, 08:48:56 AM »

Your Facebook "friend" is in competition mode. When he thought you were winning he had to boost himself up by putting you down.

Question:  Is Facebook anything other than a way to brag?  I don't use it, but it seems as if conspicuous consumption is the order of the day and everything becomes very competitive on Facebook. 

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #646 on: August 09, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »
Question:  Is Facebook anything other than a way to brag?  I don't use it, but it seems as if conspicuous consumption is the order of the day and everything becomes very competitive on Facebook.

It's only a platform, how you use it depends on you. I use it to keep contacts with friends and relatives who live widely across the globe.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #647 on: August 09, 2014, 10:55:57 AM »
Personally, I wouldn't consider a weekend trip a vacation - I'd consider it a weekend getaway. Nothing wrong with that of course, I do them once or twice a year myself.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #648 on: August 09, 2014, 05:50:07 PM »

It's only a platform, how you use it depends on you. I use it to keep contacts with friends and relatives who live widely across the globe.

No bragging on my wall, unless you count people posting pretty garden produce pics!  My friends use it to share news and funny things, so I enjoy it quite a bit.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #649 on: August 09, 2014, 07:30:10 PM »

I use it as a convenient way to organize my photos, since we travel a lot and have a ton. I guess that would sort of be bragging though in a sense. It gives me an easy way to look up specific photos quickly, and people tell me they really enjoy them - I post photos every day or two as insurance against losing/wrecking my camera, and they tell me it feels like they're on the trip with me. I have a few friends who travel, and we all like looking at each other's latest photos.

I think "checking in" at restaurants and other places is a little ridiculous, but I couldn't do that anyway since I don't have a smartphone!