Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6089165 times)

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #8600 on: December 24, 2021, 07:49:22 AM »
We noticed the gas prices when we were in the Bay Area for thanksgiving with many of them over $5/gal. The blends are more expensive in cA in part due to stricter environmental regulations. I mostly don’t pay attention to the excitable posts about big differences in prices because it doesn’t matter to me. We were blessed to not be pinching pennies and we just don’t drive that much. I

had a moment of understanding though while driving the entire length of the Bay Area in an inefficient rental SUV as we visited friends and family. It isn’t a lifestyle I want to go back to.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8601 on: December 24, 2021, 08:14:13 AM »
One of my friends posts a photo of a gas station in CA showing nearly $5 and says its only half that in New Mexico. So far so good. This starts an inflation discussion where someone remarks paying $14 for a Wendys sandwich and $34 for an 8 piece of KFC and why they should all leave CA. I don't live in the US right now so my experiences are different, but my first thought was "maybe you should stop eating fast food."
Lol. We're road tripping (by car this time, not RV) in CA right now. When we stopped at our favorite last-one-in-NorCal Costco, we passed a Chevron where gas was 5.29. Costco was only a couple of blocks further. Their price was 4.16! Of course, there was no line at Chevron, lol. We were thrilled with the difference. About ten miles down the road, there were two truck stops featuring gas at 3.99. Oof. Gas  prices here are all over the place, which is nuts.

We always pack a cooler. When the weather got really nasty five hours in, we decided to burn some about-to-expire points and stop at a hotel. I used the room's microwave to make dinner. We noshed from the cooler again on day two. When we arrived at our destination, the previously home-cooked and frozen solid manicotti was thawed enough to make fixing dinner a breeze. I have no idea what fast food costs, but those prices sound crazy!

They are exaggerating. Because the real prices just aren't ridiculous enough to make their point.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8602 on: December 24, 2021, 02:47:55 PM »
I’m sure most of you know, but the GasBuddy app is a godsend for not getting hosed on gas

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8603 on: December 29, 2021, 11:01:39 PM »
This was just posted on WeChat, a popular Chinese social media platform. “SH Disney” is Shanghai Disneyland. I was thinking of going to the free park at Disney this past Wednesday but decided against it because it was too cold. It looks like I made the right decision.

Man holds back urine till bleeding at SH Disneyland to buy toys

The hashtag “More than 5,000 people lined up at Disney at 3 am” topped Chinese Twitter-like social media Sina Weibo on Wednesday with over 12 million views.

Photos and videos circulating on social media showed thousands of visitors waiting outside Shanghai Disneyland early on Wednesday to buy the 2021 Duffy and Friends Christmas Collection. The moment the gates opened people dashed into the resort, mostly adults. In one picture a man was seen kneeling on the ground, possibly worn out by the wait.

According to some visitors, there were more than five thousand people at Shanghai Disneyland at 3 am on Wednesday waiting for the opening of the three stores of the park.

On Wednesday morning Shanghai Disneyland issued an emergency notice on its WeChat account saying that it has suspended the lines to enter the three stores of the park for Wednesday as it reached the capacity limit for queues on its venue.

On secondhand goods trading platform Xianyu, an item with the original price tag of 139 yuan ($21.82) has hiked by 500 yuan. A StellaLou plush toy was priced at around 1,200 yuan($188) and price for a set of six dolls with six key rings has quadrupled to 8,500 yuan ($1,335) on the secondhand market

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8604 on: January 04, 2022, 12:36:10 PM »
I’m sure most of you know, but the GasBuddy app is a godsend for not getting hosed on gas

Most of the time around my little piece of the world fuel prices vary not more than 10-15 cents per gallon. I usually look for one of the better maintained name brand gas stations and just buy fuel there. Also, we don't buy alot of fuel in the first place. A potential difference of perhaps $2 per tank. Just checked my town and it is currently +/- 3 cents among the listed gas stations.

Historically, these were important topics of extended family discussions where +/- 3 cents could be a big deal to my elders. Elders who would buy small amounts of gas several times in a week's time in case they saw a low price source later.

We just drive less and save more money.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 12:39:53 PM by Just Joe »

parkerk

• Bristles
« Reply #8605 on: January 04, 2022, 01:37:24 PM »
This was just posted on WeChat, a popular Chinese social media platform. “SH Disney” is Shanghai Disneyland. I was thinking of going to the free park at Disney this past Wednesday but decided against it because it was too cold. It looks like I made the right decision.

Man holds back urine till bleeding at SH Disneyland to buy toys

This is just ... is there another word for horrifying?  Appalling?  Disgusting?  None of them seem strong enough for the visceral reaction I had to how bad this is. 

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8606 on: January 04, 2022, 01:48:17 PM »
I had to look up what a 2021 Duffy and Friends Christmas Collection was... So this was a selection of small stuffed animals?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8607 on: January 04, 2022, 02:47:56 PM »
I had to look up what a 2021 Duffy and Friends Christmas Collection was... So this was a selection of small stuffed animals?

Yes, but they’re special because 1) they’re dressed in Christmas outfits, and 2) some of them have a keychain attached to them!

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #8608 on: January 04, 2022, 05:27:57 PM »

Most of the time around my little piece of the world fuel prices vary not more than 10-15 cents per gallon. I usually look for one of the better maintained name brand gas stations and just buy fuel there. Also, we don't buy alot of fuel in the first place. A potential difference of perhaps $2 per tank. Just checked my town and it is currently +/- 3 cents among the listed gas stations.

Historically, these were important topics of extended family discussions where +/- 3 cents could be a big deal to my elders. Elders who would buy small amounts of gas several times in a week's time in case they saw a low price source later.

We just drive less and save more money.
Maybe they were just dollar cost averaging their gas.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8609 on: January 05, 2022, 12:56:37 AM »
Not very long ago I noticed a $2/gal difference between stations in Portland, OR. That's real money.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8610 on: January 05, 2022, 02:24:52 PM »
Not very long ago I noticed a $2/gal difference between stations in Portland, OR. That's real money.

Yes it is! Never seen that before. Difference between downtown and the suburbs?

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8611 on: January 05, 2022, 02:37:58 PM »

Pretty much, but maybe more spotty than that. It was during that period of time when gas prices and petrol supply chain was in the news a few months ago. I'm not sure what was going on but perhaps the stations that couldn't get enough petrol were jacking up prices to not run out. I don't really know.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8612 on: January 05, 2022, 03:27:46 PM »

Pretty much, but maybe more spotty than that. It was during that period of time when gas prices and petrol supply chain was in the news a few months ago. I'm not sure what was going on but perhaps the stations that couldn't get enough petrol were jacking up prices to not run out. I don't really know.

I just got back from a road trip from CO to CA.  I saw numerous places where there was nearly a $2/gallon swing within a short distance.  I've heard (but can't verify) that refiners are now pricing gas to the stations at different rates based on how well situated the station is.  And I'm sure the station owners are conscious that a prime location right next to the interstate lets them charge a premium.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8613 on: January 05, 2022, 06:55:09 PM »
Wrong place

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8614 on: January 23, 2022, 05:48:27 PM »
Currently on my neighborhood FB page: "Does anyone know if it's better to lease or finance a car? Which would you recommend? My current vehicle is breaking down and can't afford anymore major repairs and used cars are extremely expensive right now."

Responses:
1. Finance
2. reference to Dave Ramsey
3. Finance
4. Finance
5. Lease
6. Lease or finance
7. Finance - 84 months!
8. Lease
9. Lease
10. (me) buy

Response to me: blah blah always lease, don't have to worry about maintenance, etc.

Of course, I was curious and looked. That guy who responded to me - he posted last week asking about bankruptcy lawyers.

Edit:
To continue the story here... I responded with a link to Forbes or whoever's article about buy vs lease, pretty balanced article overall. Not frugal of course, but decent. This guy posts a long run-on sentence response that is basically him explaining to a child (me?) why I'm dumb.

Anyway, I put a nice comment telling him to cut the bs and reported him to the admin. He can have a hissy fit for all I care, he's shown me who he is and I have no use for him.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2022, 06:22:05 PM by Sibley »

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8615 on: January 23, 2022, 05:55:25 PM »

Of course, I was curious and looked. That guy who responded to me - he posted last week asking about bankruptcy lawyers.

Hahahahahaha....oh, I needed that one!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8616 on: January 23, 2022, 06:51:12 PM »

My response would be to say, "The only financial advice I take from people looking for bankruptcy lawyers is 'Don't do what I did.'"

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8617 on: January 23, 2022, 07:35:05 PM »

My response would be to say, "The only financial advice I take from people looking for bankruptcy lawyers is 'Don't do what I did.'"

LOL I did consider it. But I don't want to start a fight on the FB page. As it is, one of the group moderators did a general post, "please be nice and play nicely together" vibe. I mostly use the page for local news.

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8618 on: January 25, 2022, 07:06:21 AM »
Not on Facebook but on Instagram.

"It's time to ditch our fridge. The company changed the water filter and it's not working with our fridge plus it's 7 years old."

You're going to spend thousands of dollars on replacing a 7 year old appliance (that probably has a lifespan of 10-15 years, according to the US Department of Energy) because a WATER FILTER DOES NOT FIT?????

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8619 on: January 25, 2022, 08:35:01 AM »
Not on Facebook but on Instagram.

"It's time to ditch our fridge. The company changed the water filter and it's not working with our fridge plus it's 7 years old."

You're going to spend thousands of dollars on replacing a 7 year old appliance (that probably has a lifespan of 10-15 years, according to the US Department of Energy) because a WATER FILTER DOES NOT FIT?????

Hey, cheap fridge for you!

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8620 on: January 25, 2022, 08:40:06 AM »
hahaha I live on a sailboat. My fridge is the size of a cooler. <3 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8621 on: January 25, 2022, 09:10:40 AM »
hahaha I live on a sailboat. My fridge is the size of a cooler. <3

But very much not a cheap fridge, I bet... Oh, looks like those dometics are actually cheaper than the stove we replaced last year!

SailingOnASmallSailboat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8622 on: January 25, 2022, 09:14:02 AM »
stupid marine crap. Those stoves are ridiculously expensive! (and yeah on the fridge. Though ours is an ARB which we've had for close to 10 years. It kicks ass.)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8623 on: January 25, 2022, 09:35:01 AM »
stupid marine crap. Those stoves are ridiculously expensive! (and yeah on the fridge. Though ours is an ARB which we've had for close to 10 years. It kicks ass.)

There is a boat stove sitting on my back porch.  Because my husband traded some work for it several years ago.  Has it been put on the boat?  No.  Will it ever get put on the boat?  Probably not.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8624 on: January 25, 2022, 09:57:46 AM »

There is a boat stove sitting on my back porch.  Because my husband traded some work for it several years ago.  Has it been put on the boat?  No.  Will it ever get put on the boat?  Probably not.

Wish I had known, we might have been willing to work something out while waiting 8 months for ours in 2021. I did 80% of the work myself, including 100% of discussing with bother the dealer and the manufacturer about the difference between low noise, no noise and the fucking annoying hum that the propane alarm was making at rest. Left to DH, yeah, progress would not have been made.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8625 on: January 28, 2022, 05:52:33 AM »
Posted in a rec sports group on Facebook yesterday:

I can't sell anymore blood, plasma, or future offspring and need to afford to continue living in California. Also, tobacco and ammo are expensive.

He then proceeds to list a bunch of baseball bats for sale. You only need 1-2 bats, but he has about 10 for sale, and they generally run about $200 each.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8626 on: February 20, 2022, 07:43:18 PM »
A classmate from high school wrote on Facebook today

"Just keep winning free play on our lotto tickets (frowny face), I'd be happy with hundred thou and be out of debt.  Some day I'll win big (smiley face)"

Doubt it.  (Face palm face)

Update time.  Same person just posted a photo of a 65" 4K LED Smart TV with the caption "present for husband".  Dare I ask if she's out of debt now?

Another update, this just keeps getting worse.  Today she wrote

"I feel like the world has fallen on my shoulders, after I get baby to sleep I'm going to call subsidy to see if we qualify, but from the sounds of it we don't so we are basically screwed.  I can't afford $530 a month for daycare, LMAO, I'm already drowning in debt as it is"

I have no words.  No. Fucking. Words.

New update today for this person, I didn't think they could top the last one but boy did they find a way. 
They posted a photo of their truck, which is/was a brand new Dodge Ram with the biggest cab I've ever seen, which apparently they had purchased new 3 years ago, along with the following garbage..

"Call us crazy LOL we have traded in our vehicle a million times, but I'd rather be stuck in a vehicle I actually like!! We are in over our head but I don't care!!  One of these days I'll win the lottery :)"

What does it take for someone like this to see the light?  I just don't understand!

Good god.  Today this person posted a photo of a BRAND NEW DODGE DURANGO!  Yes, they rolled the sizeable debt from the truck into an equally enormous and even more expensive vehicle.  WTF!

Well, it’s been a while since an update.  Let’s see, since the last update from this persons posts on Facebook, there have been posts that include their divorce, the brand new Durango was in a crash and then fixed at the body shop, and lately it’s been non-stop posts like every day of the new Starbucks mugs they are buying.  Like every day a new mug, I’ve seen like 10 so far and I’m not even checking their page or even scrolling much through Facebook. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8627 on: February 25, 2022, 08:41:18 PM »
A classmate from high school wrote on Facebook today

"Just keep winning free play on our lotto tickets (frowny face), I'd be happy with hundred thou and be out of debt.  Some day I'll win big (smiley face)"

Doubt it.  (Face palm face)

Update time.  Same person just posted a photo of a 65" 4K LED Smart TV with the caption "present for husband".  Dare I ask if she's out of debt now?

Another update, this just keeps getting worse.  Today she wrote

"I feel like the world has fallen on my shoulders, after I get baby to sleep I'm going to call subsidy to see if we qualify, but from the sounds of it we don't so we are basically screwed.  I can't afford $530 a month for daycare, LMAO, I'm already drowning in debt as it is"

I have no words.  No. Fucking. Words.

New update today for this person, I didn't think they could top the last one but boy did they find a way. 
They posted a photo of their truck, which is/was a brand new Dodge Ram with the biggest cab I've ever seen, which apparently they had purchased new 3 years ago, along with the following garbage..

"Call us crazy LOL we have traded in our vehicle a million times, but I'd rather be stuck in a vehicle I actually like!! We are in over our head but I don't care!!  One of these days I'll win the lottery :)"

What does it take for someone like this to see the light?  I just don't understand!

Good god.  Today this person posted a photo of a BRAND NEW DODGE DURANGO!  Yes, they rolled the sizeable debt from the truck into an equally enormous and even more expensive vehicle.  WTF!

Well, it’s been a while since an update.  Let’s see, since the last update from this persons posts on Facebook, there have been posts that include their divorce, the brand new Durango was in a crash and then fixed at the body shop, and lately it’s been non-stop posts like every day of the new Starbucks mugs they are buying.  Like every day a new mug, I’ve seen like 10 so far and I’m not even checking their page or even scrolling much through Facebook.

And we can add two more new cup posts since this.  I think a gambling addiction would be cheaper

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #8628 on: February 25, 2022, 10:20:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing the insanity.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8629 on: February 26, 2022, 02:28:16 PM »
And we can add two more new cup posts since this.  I think a gambling addiction would be cheaper

Maybe not. This is how much my mother-in-law has spent at the casino since 2017.

Lost              Won
2017 - $17,411.00    $0.00
2018 - $20,055.30    $1,466.70
2019 - $20,525.00    $0.00
2020 - $11,147.58    $1,473.42  (reduced losses due to COVID closure)
2021 - $26,709.00    $4,394.58

Total - $95,847.58    $7,334.70

She pulls in $3000 a month in Social Security, and her expenses are roughly $2000/month.
She's been blowing through her savings at quite a clip.
She's 92 years old, so we think she has enough to keep her going, but my sister-in-law sat her down and asked her if she realized that she'd pretty much spent the price of her condo at the casino. She agreed to change her ATM card daily limit to $250...we're hoping it slows her down a bit!
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 06:08:04 PM by Dave1442397 »

DaMa

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8630 on: February 26, 2022, 02:35:10 PM »
My MIL had a reverse mortgage on her house that we didn't know about to help fund her casino trips.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8631 on: February 26, 2022, 08:32:14 PM »
I’ve never understood the casino thing. Setting aside the negative expectation part, it is boring. If you are going to blow a bunch of lines shouldn’t you at least be entertained in the process?

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8632 on: February 26, 2022, 11:56:06 PM »
I’ve never understood the casino thing. Setting aside the negative expectation part, it is boring. If you are going to blow a bunch of lines shouldn’t you at least be entertained in the process?

People work in different ways.  While I personally have never really been caught mentally by gambling (or gaming for that matter), for some people it works like a drug.  They cannot stop.  Addicted.  The kick of "just one more round" is too strong.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8633 on: February 27, 2022, 05:10:26 AM »

Maybe not. This is how much my mother-in-law has spent at the casino since 2017.

Lost              Won

She pulls in $3000 a month in Social Security, and her expenses are roughly $2000/month.
She's 92 years old, so we think she has enough to keep her going, but my sister-in-law sat her down and asked her if she realized that she'd pretty much spent the price of her condo at the casino. She agreed to change her ATM card daily limit to $250...we're hoping it slows her down a bit!
Holy cow! Let's hope that restricted ATM limit works.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8634 on: February 27, 2022, 08:39:09 AM »

Lost              Won

Thart makes me sad. It's a big problem where my mom lives, too, lots of tribal casinos in the area and lots of retirees. Luckily my mom is not a gambler, but an old friend from the area's mom lost their family home to gambling.
Her husband passed away about seven years ago and she started going to the casino "for fun". They bought their place fifty years ago in a prized location (waterfront Puget Sound) and my friend had hoped to inherit it someday as he had such strong ties to it, having grown up there. Instead he had to deal with keeping his mom from being homeless in her last years. What a waste.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8635 on: February 27, 2022, 01:17:44 PM »

Lost              Won

Ouch.  Yeah I wasn’t really being serious about it being more expensive, that’s sad that’s she’s lost almost $100k to gambling, sorry.  Hopefully the new limit helps. 

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8636 on: February 27, 2022, 02:06:18 PM »
Ouch.  Yeah I wasn’t really being serious about it being more expensive, that’s sad that’s she’s lost almost $100k to gambling, sorry.  Hopefully the new limit helps. 

Thart makes me sad. It's a big problem where my mom lives, too, lots of tribal casinos in the area and lots of retirees. Luckily my mom is not a gambler, but an old friend from the area's mom lost their family home to gambling.
Her husband passed away about seven years ago and she started going to the casino "for fun". They bought their place fifty years ago in a prized location (waterfront Puget Sound) and my friend had hoped to inherit it someday as he had such strong ties to it, having grown up there. Instead he had to deal with keeping his mom from being homeless in her last years. What a waste.

That is such a waste. At least MIL insisted on putting her condo in a trust for my daughter a couple of years ago, so she can't cash it in at this point.

Thanks all. It's crazy how much she has blown in five years. She's never had a budget in her life. My father-in-law was a surgeon, and always made good money, but he was a poster child for the old cliche about doctors and their money. They always lived the high life, and could afford to, but now that he's gone, MIL doesn't have the money coming in like that any more. She's utterly clueless about managing money. My wife and sister-in-law sat her down a few weeks ago and tried to impress upon her just how much she has given the casino. We think it sank in to some extent, but we'll see!

Either way, it is her money to do with as she likes. We just want her to realize exactly how much is vanishing from her savings every month. She said to my wife that it didn't matter, because if she ran out of money, my wife and I would take care of her. My wife just laughed and said "Mom, I get $400 a month to spend on myself. If you think we're giving you five times that much just so you can give it away at the casino, think again!"

Anyway, she's going to be 93 soon. By my calculations, she can keep spending at that rate for another five years or so before the savings run out. If she makes it that far, she'll just have to rely on Social Security! Maybe we should just buy her a slot machine.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8637 on: February 27, 2022, 05:17:14 PM »

That is such a waste. At least MIL insisted on putting her condo in a trust for my daughter a couple of years ago, so she can't cash it in at this point.

Thanks all. It's crazy how much she has blown in five years. She's never had a budget in her life. My father-in-law was a surgeon, and always made good money, but he was a poster child for the old cliche about doctors and their money. They always lived the high life, and could afford to, but now that he's gone, MIL doesn't have the money coming in like that any more. She's utterly clueless about managing money. My wife and sister-in-law sat her down a few weeks ago and tried to impress upon her just how much she has given the casino. We think it sank in to some extent, but we'll see!

Either way, it is her money to do with as she likes. We just want her to realize exactly how much is vanishing from her savings every month. She said to my wife that it didn't matter, because if she ran out of money, my wife and I would take care of her. My wife just laughed and said "Mom, I get $400 a month to spend on myself. If you think we're giving you five times that much just so you can give it away at the casino, think again!"

Anyway, she's going to be 93 soon. By my calculations, she can keep spending at that rate for another five years or so before the savings run out. If she makes it that far, she'll just have to rely on Social Security! Maybe we should just buy her a slot machine.

Good idea! A friend has one in his barn that is absolutely beautiful. Old, one-arm-bandit style with gleaming heavy metal, all the bells and sounds, and it's super fun. The pull arm is heavy and takes a little muscle, and makes a satisfying click at the bottom of the pull. He says it's from Vegas, and maybe from the 30s. He's got a big dish of nickels on the counter and I spent the better part of 2 hours making my way through that dish until I'd lost every one of them. So fun! I don't know what he paid for it (several hundred probably) but if it keeps MIL at home...

MoseyingAlong

• Bristles
« Reply #8638 on: February 27, 2022, 06:34:38 PM »

Good idea! A friend has one in his barn that is absolutely beautiful. Old, one-arm-bandit style with gleaming heavy metal, all the bells and sounds, and it's super fun. The pull arm is heavy and takes a little muscle, and makes a satisfying click at the bottom of the pull. He says it's from Vegas, and maybe from the 30s. He's got a big dish of nickels on the counter and I spent the better part of 2 hours making my way through that dish until I'd lost every one of them. So fun! I don't know what he paid for it (several hundred probably) but if it keeps MIL at home...

Then it would probably not work.
Not knowing the MIL, my guess would be that she is going to the casino to be around people. Not because she is actually addicted to gambling. So a slot machine at home would not fulfill that need.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8639 on: February 28, 2022, 07:23:59 AM »
My mom goes to the casino to play the slot machines.  It's because she finds gambling fun, and it's to be "a day out" and be around people.  She's 60, but this has been a habit for a decade.  She regularly loses $10,000+ a year to it.  Expensive hobby, but I have to say she doesn't really have any other hobbies and isn't into home redecorating, so otherwise she doesn't really spend much money.  But I'm concerned that as she gets older the habit will just get worse, as she has free time to do it and doesn't want to do anything else.  She used to work part time, but now doesn't work and will have more free time.  I appreciated Covid shutting down casinos for a while; she stayed away from them for many months, and now only goes very occasionally.   Ugh I hate casinos and gambling.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8640 on: February 28, 2022, 04:45:32 PM »

Oh boy, that's a lot of money to gambling.  But: It is her money, and she's keeping the economy going.  Just think of the people working at the casino, amirite?

Anyway, I have heard of several people getting into gambling after they retired.  Weird.

@JAYSLOL OMG, the Starbucks cup saga is keeping me entertained.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8641 on: February 28, 2022, 06:36:19 PM »

Oh boy, that's a lot of money to gambling.  But: It is her money, and she's keeping the economy going.  Just think of the people working at the casino, amirite?

Anyway, I have heard of several people getting into gambling after they retired.  Weird.

@JAYSLOL OMG, the Starbucks cup saga is keeping me entertained.

Out of curiosity I checked her page, which I never do I just see some of her random posts come up in my feed, but I thought I’d check today to see if there was another new cup.  Nope.  But she made 20, yes 20 separate Facebook posts today alone.  Almost all of them were photos with nonsensical feel-good garbage on them.  It was like the un-ironic version of the inspirobot AI that tries (and usually fails) at making inspirational posters. 

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8642 on: March 02, 2022, 06:52:46 PM »
Hey, guess who got two new Starbucks cups today lol.  I found out some of them cost as much as $70. 

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8643 on: March 03, 2022, 05:28:56 AM »
Hey, guess who got two new Starbucks cups today lol.  I found out some of them cost as much as $70.

That's crazy...$70 to support corporate advertising.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8644 on: March 03, 2022, 11:46:21 AM »

There are people who buy a Starbucks mug from every city/country they visit. It is a thing. And then they sit on a display shelf collecting dust or you need a glass cabinet.
But if your pets or kids get to them...

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8645 on: March 03, 2022, 12:25:11 PM »
Your kids get to them eventually. It’s called an estate sale. And they wonder why the heck anyone spent good money on those things in the first place.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8646 on: March 03, 2022, 12:27:03 PM »

There are people who buy a Starbucks mug from every city/country they visit. It is a thing. And then they sit on a display shelf collecting dust or you need a glass cabinet.
But if your pets or kids get to them...

This seems like an expensive collection. My father collects mugs, out of which he does not drink. I mean, he owns probably hundreds of mugs and drinks out of like the same 4. But mugs are cheap. (Actually his were all presents... he's hard to buy for!) And you don't have to find a Starbucks to buy a mug, they are in every gift shop. They are probably extremely dusty and will be a burden to his heirs someday, but he enjoys having them on his bookcase.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8647 on: March 03, 2022, 12:54:03 PM »
Sounds like she is trying to fill a very large hole in her heart by winning at whatever straw she can grab.  Having All The Starbucks Mugs is easier than looking at the actual issues.  This I know from personal experience.

Yes, I do have a fairly extensive 12-step background.  Why do you ask?

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8648 on: March 03, 2022, 02:31:03 PM »
At least your elderly relatives didn't blow $13 million (2 million of it stolen) at casinos.  The former catholic school teacher who became mayor of San Diego and widow of Jack in the Box founder did.   A sad ending for Maureen O'Connor. 

Catbert

• Magnum Stache

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!