Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 5111733 times)

Plina

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #8550 on: June 28, 2021, 08:46:34 AM »
At least it easy to make dinner...

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8551 on: July 02, 2021, 02:25:01 PM »
If this isn't allowed, please delete.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8552 on: July 03, 2021, 02:37:22 AM »

This drives me nuts on Facebook groups. Like if you have posted something that isn't allowed but not given your specific permission, the mods won't delete it. I have been a mod. I zapped posts appropriately whether I was "allowed" by the poster or not.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8553 on: July 03, 2021, 07:03:32 AM »

This drives me nuts on Facebook groups. Like if you have posted something that isn't allowed but not given your specific permission, the mods won't delete it. I have been a mod. I zapped posts appropriately whether I was "allowed" by the poster or not.

They are just trying to tell you they aren't an ass, they're just not sure of the rules.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8554 on: July 03, 2021, 07:19:36 AM »

They are just trying to tell you they aren't an ass, they're just not sure of the rules.

They are admitting donít care about the rules and are too lazy to look at the sticky post. IMHO it marks them as an ass.

Similarly, those posts on social media (and here!) where the op clearly hasnít googled first. Uuuurggh.

And the posts where the subject line doesnít give you any context. Uuurgh.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8555 on: July 03, 2021, 07:26:33 AM »

They are admitting donít care about the rules and are too lazy to look at the sticky post. IMHO it marks them as an ass.

Similarly, those posts on social media (and here!) where the op clearly hasnít googled first. Uuuurggh.

Sometimes the rules aren't clearly written or just don't say.   Sometimes the moderators enforce rules that aren't written and don't enforce rules that are.      And sometimes you're right, they are too lazy to look up the rules.

As for the rest, yep, agree completely.   Then again, remember that half of all people are dumber than average -- and average isn't all that smart.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8556 on: July 03, 2021, 08:45:48 AM »

I'm talking things like posting "Can anyone recommend a local plumber?" in a "Local recommendations" group or "I have these cloth nappies for sale" in a "Cloth nappy sales" group.

Botany Bae

• Pencil Stache
  • Just another dharma bum
« Reply #8557 on: July 03, 2021, 08:52:39 AM »

I see this as the online version of "Not to be rude, but..." conversation starter that everyone damn well knows means that the perpetrator is specifically trying to be rude.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8558 on: July 04, 2021, 05:46:13 AM »
Seen on my town's "Hip" page:

Don't use the Wash n Roll. They ripped me off for 80.00. Tried to get it back and they would only give me credit. I explained that I had a car accident and didn't have a car to use it on. I also explained I live on a very small pension. Very cold hearted people. Please don't give them your money.

Reading through the comments, the OP, who is actually named Karen, signed up for a monthly plan because the first month was free. The plan would be auto-renewed monthly for $40/month. Karen wrecks her car and doesn't remember to cancel the membership in June or July, then gets mad at the car wash for not refunding her the money.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8559 on: July 05, 2021, 01:40:42 AM »

They might very well be an ass.  But they are saying they're not trying to be.  There's a difference between careless and malicious assiness in my book.

AlanStache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8560 on: July 05, 2021, 09:36:24 AM »

They might very well be an ass.  But they are saying they're not trying to be.  There's a difference between careless and malicious assiness in my book.

Maybe but I have seen people push careless so far as to warrant the elimination of any benefit of the doubt and it become proper to consider it malicious* even if they had no bad intentions.

malicious* maybe not technically malicious then at least hostel. 

MissNancyPryor

• Bristles
  • The Stewardess is Flying the Plane!
« Reply #8561 on: July 05, 2021, 10:03:08 AM »
Seen on my town's "Hip" page:

Don't use the Wash n Roll. They ripped me off for 80.00. Tried to get it back and they would only give me credit. I explained that I had a car accident and didn't have a car to use it on. I also explained I live on a very small pension. Very cold hearted people. Please don't give them your money.

Reading through the comments, the OP, who is actually named Karen, signed up for a monthly plan because the first month was free. The plan would be auto-renewed monthly for $40/month. Karen wrecks her car and doesn't remember to cancel the membership in June or July, then gets mad at the car wash for not refunding her the money.

Oh my, that reminds me of a person I know who drives a fancy car but is very upside down in it.  It is currently one of the things keeping her from retirement (she is 66).  She had a long time boyfriend who sadly died of a brain tumor and they bought the car together when he was still living.  They knew he had the tumor when they got the car and so they bought the expensive warranty that would pay it off completely if he died, rolling that warranty cost into the loan. 

Now she is pissed and cries poor because he died and the warranty company wouldn't pay off the car.  But.... fine print says you must survive at least 6 months after buying the car for the death benefit to pay off (just like so many no-medical-exam insurance policies have a waiting period to prevent hospice patients rolling in for payouts). 

It could be argued that they were not ethical to go down to a car lot with a brain tumor and buy a pay off benefit, but obviously all insurers account for this in their actuarial tables when they set the high price and delay period for these policies.  Essentially this lady took a gamble and lost, but it bothers me that she acts like she got ripped off.  I am sure the salesman didn't highlight the delay period but it feels like they went in planning to get a free car knowing he was terminal. 

It's a sad deal with bad decisions in the midst of grief, one she is paying for and stuck with.     

HamsterStache

• Stubble
« Reply #8562 on: September 26, 2021, 10:15:49 AM »
Itís like all the people I see asking ďwhat would happen if I just donít pay what I owe? A big company shouldnít care, right?Ē

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8563 on: September 26, 2021, 05:42:13 PM »

I mentioned this exact thing months ago on the "phrases I hate" thread. Mods exist. If your post isn't allowed, don't worry, it'll disappear with or without your disclaimer.  I try not to read too much into the attitude of the poster other than wanting to shout out "here's your sign."

Plina

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8564 on: October 01, 2021, 10:03:23 AM »
Female friend of mine recently posted close to 100 pictures of her 'engagement shoot'. That's right, they hired a professional photographer and restaged the actual process of engagement (the entire evening), then added some cheese fake oh-gosh-look-at-how-much-in-love-we-are-strolling-through-that-garden-holding-a-lantern pictures.

I didn't even know there was such as thing as an engagement shoot. What's next, first-date-shoots?
Are you sure it was reenacted?  I'm not condoning it either way, but a photographer friend of mine on facebook offers a service where she will shoot the actual proposal (or other surprise moments like reunions etc.)  I assume the proposer has to be on top of the arrangement and timing.
My girlfriend's a photographer, and she did this for someone once.  It was adorable.  They of course did real photos together right after.  I think she charged something like $80 for the whole "shoot".  She loved doing it. 

As a photographer, she does get frustrated when she sees lousy wedding photos that she knows the people paid way too much for.  She tends to do weddings for about $500~1000, which is apparently super-low-budget one-day wedding photography.  She knows her photos are as good as the $10k photographer, and better than the $5k photographer.  It's all marketing and the bullshit perception that you're paying more, so therefore it's better.  She always finds her most polite clients are the ones that are paying the most.  The ones that she charges less respect her less.  It's an odd disconnect.

If you show that you value your own work, most of the people will also value it. My boss is pretty bad at charging clients, which annoys me. Because of that she gets a lot of unnecessary questions from clients because they know she will not bill them. We have a client that was sending a lot of emails to me and in one instance he didnít want to contact a technical consultant, that cost less than half of my cost. I told him that it would also cost him when we tried to solve the problem that was not our expertise. After that, the amount of email has decreased by 90 %.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8565 on: October 04, 2021, 01:14:16 AM »
As a photographer, she does get frustrated when she sees lousy wedding photos that she knows the people paid way too much for.  She tends to do weddings for about $500~1000, which is apparently super-low-budget one-day wedding photography.  She knows her photos are as good as the $10k photographer, and better than the $5k photographer.  It's all marketing and the bullshit perception that you're paying more, so therefore it's better.  She always finds her most polite clients are the ones that are paying the most.  The ones that she charges less respect her less.  It's an odd disconnect.

It sounds like it's time for her to increase her prices.  Discounts back to the old level can always be given if there is a reason.  :)