Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6089706 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #8400 on: December 02, 2020, 05:35:55 PM »
I went to HS in the 90s and we had a water bottle trend.  It was filling your reusable water bottle from the tap (nalgene or GTFO)

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #8401 on: December 05, 2020, 12:51:33 PM »
We have fantastic tap water in the Netherlands, and so does Germany. I like the water that comes out of my tap better than the water that comes in the blue Spa bottles. But I know quite a few Germans who won't drink tap water and instead buy these massive bottles of water. One of them complained they couldn't find gigantic bottles in shops in NL (the largest is 1,5 liter) and she thought I was crazy for even suggesting that. But just because water is safe to drink doesn't mean it tastes nice. I know tap water is 100% safe in the UK but in certain locations there's water coming from the tap that's too disgusting to even brush your teeth with. But I'm sure if you grew up with it you'd think it was fine.

I do think people drink less water here, especially during winter. People over a certain age don't carry around water bottles and drink all day. Eating and drinking all day long is really considered to be a very American thing to do.
In my recollection, the whole water bottle trend started in the mid 90's.  I remember thinking it was the weirdest thing for other students to be carrying a bottle of water around the school instead of just getting a drink from the drinking fountain.

That sounds about right. The water fountain was a thing throughout school, for me, until engineering school when they suddenly appeared. My bestie and I-- the only females in the class-- exploited the trend of people bringing coffee and water in bottles for our own entertainment.

We conducted a massive experiment on our instructor and fellow students to condition them to truly not believe we were drinking alcohol in class. We did this first by ostentatiously bringing "Irish Cream" flavored coffee from the machine, in machine dispensed cups, and asserting that there was real booze in it. The next week we did the same, except we made a big show of pouring it into our Thermoses. We'd offer it around, to be polite, and nobody took us up on an offer of a sip. The third week, we just started making coffee at home and adding that fake creamer that had "Irish Cream" on the label. We did this in front of our instructor and classmates before the class began. Week four, we just started showing up with the pre-mixed beverage. Except it wasn't the fake Irish Cream at all. We brought coffee from home and poured the booze into the Thermoses in the parking lot, mixing it up and getting mellow. "There's real booze in it," we'd say, but nobody believed us. The rest of the term was pretty mellow and I recall we both got straight A's.

I used to use a vodka bottle to carry around my tap water, because why not
I got reported to HR at work :-D but after a while people were used to it, so when I started to bring Amaretto nobody checked anything

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8402 on: December 05, 2020, 01:33:23 PM »
I know tap water is 100% safe in the UK but in certain locations there's water coming from the tap that's too disgusting to even brush your teeth with. But I'm sure if you grew up with it you'd think it was fine.

I only drink tea or juice when I visit my grandmother. The water doesn't taste *bad* exactly, just... off. I live in one of the hardest water areas in the country, she lives in one of the softest.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8403 on: December 05, 2020, 03:02:18 PM »
I know tap water is 100% safe in the UK but in certain locations there's water coming from the tap that's too disgusting to even brush your teeth with. But I'm sure if you grew up with it you'd think it was fine.

I only drink tea or juice when I visit my grandmother. The water doesn't taste *bad* exactly, just... off. I live in one of the hardest water areas in the country, she lives in one of the softest.

That's it!!! We have hard water at home. From my memory water was particularly bad in Manchester and Birmingham. Google tells me those cities have very soft water. Leeds and York are fine but it turns out water there is much harder. This may sound a little obsessive but whenever I arrive in a new place, one of the first things I do is check whether the water is drinkable.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8404 on: December 05, 2020, 11:17:11 PM »
So Facebook told us tonight that the COVID vaccines will cause sterility in women.  And the late-breaking in the article they threw in men, too. So, for all those listening, my DW’s crackpot Facebook friend from high school wants you all to know that you’ll go sterile if you get the COVID vaccination.

If someone is receiving advertising revenue for lying, isn’t that fraud or something?

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8405 on: December 06, 2020, 06:02:34 AM »
So Facebook told us tonight that the COVID vaccines will cause sterility in women.  And the late-breaking in the article they threw in men, too. So, for all those listening, my DW’s crackpot Facebook friend from high school wants you all to know that you’ll go sterile if you get the COVID vaccination.
Maybe it'll be considered as an alternative for vasectomies? :P

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8406 on: December 06, 2020, 06:04:46 AM »
My, people have inventive minds. 

Not a problem anyway for us oldsters, or those who have already had as many kids as they want.  Free permanent birth control, no need for surgery.

Yes, being sarcastic here.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8407 on: December 06, 2020, 06:24:17 AM »

Not a problem anyway for us oldsters, or those who have already had as many kids as they want.  Free permanent birth control, no need for surgery.

Covid vaccine baby boom,?

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8408 on: December 06, 2020, 09:17:59 AM »

Covid vaccine baby boom,?

OMG, if people believe it and don't take precautions . . .   But then, if they believe it they won't get vaccinated, so Covid is a more likely outcome than a Covid vaccine baby.  :-(

My brain hurts following the logic of this.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8409 on: December 06, 2020, 10:53:21 AM »
Well, that would be one way to address the low birth rate.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8410 on: December 07, 2020, 10:09:10 AM »

If someone is receiving advertising revenue for lying, isn’t that fraud or something?

Just another reason to quit Facebook.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8411 on: December 07, 2020, 10:28:43 AM »

Just another reason to quit Facebook.

The recent redesign was the last straw, I have only logged in once or twice in the last week.  Cant say I feel any different in life (yet...).  Its just the hassle of learning a new UI seemed greater than any benefit I might get from continued FB use.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #8412 on: January 03, 2021, 08:16:31 PM »
On a Fb group I follow, someone ask about what weird NYE traditions we have
Someone commented they start the new year getting rid of all the consumable they have around the house and opening up new packages on Jan 1st. !!!
The idea of someone throwing out their dishsoap for absolutely no reason but a sort of "I felt like it" it's absolutely mind-boggling to me

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8413 on: January 15, 2021, 02:39:26 PM »
Post: I'm looking to invest in stock. Friends, drop some companies I should look into below.
Response: I would look into AAPL, TSLA, AMZN, WMT. Due to the fact that they will be reporting their earnings soon and those companies are expected to release higher than expected earnings.

I expect this will end well...

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8414 on: January 22, 2021, 10:25:23 PM »
On an online group today, someone posted an announcement that one of the high end medical clinics in town is offering in-home COVID testing. It’s 120 rmb (~usd $18.50) per test + 1000 rmb ($154 service charge). A new poster commented that this service didn’t seem like it would be appropriate for individuals or families (because of the high service charge). (Granted, the guy also worked for a competitor that didn’t offer in-home COVID testing).

The backlash was immediate and heavy.

“I don’t see anywhere in the announcement that they don’t make house calls!”

“You don’t understand, a lot of our families already use a similar service with similar pricing structure.”

“This is a VERY reasonable price for COVID testing.”

“It’s great to have more options.”

“You all are so resourceful and budget-conscious!” (Because it costs $54 to get the test done at the hospital, so by the time you add in the taxi fare, it would cost almost the same as a home visit. You might be paying a premium of $50 or so.)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 10:26:56 PM by Freedomin5 »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8415 on: January 22, 2021, 10:45:26 PM »
Post: I'm looking to invest in stock. Friends, drop some companies I should look into below.
Response: I would look into AAPL, TSLA, AMZN, WMT. Due to the fact that they will be reporting their earnings soon and those companies are expected to release higher than expected earnings.

I expect this will end well...

To be fair, AAPL, AMZN, and WMT have been pretty good long term bets.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8416 on: February 08, 2021, 09:44:21 AM »
Woke up the other day to this post from one of my running friends:

"One thing I've ALWAYS wanted was for my kids to be way more successful than me. After this purchase... it's fair to say that (her daughter) is doing quite well. So freaking proud of her!! Freaking 2020 Benz GLC 300... I am speechless!!"

I of course Googled the car which starts around $43k. I was tempted to post, "Are you proud because she paid cash...? If not, I'm not sure what you're proud of since they will finance $50k to anyone with a job, a decent credit score, and a pulse." Alas, I can't bring myself to be quite so dickish, so I didn't post anything and came here instead.

Comments were of course all congratulatory for having such a "successful" child... /s

Smokystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8417 on: February 08, 2021, 01:58:53 PM »

"One thing I've ALWAYS wanted was for my kids to be way more successful than me. After this purchase... it's fair to say that (her daughter) is doing quite well. So freaking proud of her!! Freaking 2020 Benz GLC 300... I am speechless!!"

I of course Googled the car which starts around $43k. I was tempted to post, "Are you proud because she paid cash...? If not, I'm not sure what you're proud of since they will finance $50k to anyone with a job, a decent credit score, and a pulse." Alas, I can't bring myself to be quite so dickish, so I didn't post anything and came here instead.

Comments were of course all congratulatory for having such a "successful" child... /s

You're right - a reaction like: "Congrats on convincing someone to let you finance a depreciating asset!" isn't going to go over very well on Facebook. You're right that perhaps the child has enough money to stroke a check for it ... but I'll bet it is much, much more likely that they are leasing it because the payments are lower.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8418 on: February 08, 2021, 02:38:01 PM »

You're right - a reaction like: "Congrats on convincing someone to let you finance a depreciating asset!" isn't going to go over very well on Facebook. You're right that perhaps the child has enough money to stroke a check for it ... but I'll bet it is much, much more likely that they are leasing it because the payments are lower.

Quite a few people mistakenly refer to their lease as a purchase. People at my workplace say "I have only x payments to make on my vehicle before I get another one." Many of us are "why would you do that if you paid it off?" And their reply would be "no, i have to turn it in and get the latest model." That's when we realize it is a lease.

Also, a lot of the luxury marque vehicles are leased. This is a list from 2019: https://cartelligent.com/blog/which-car-brands-are-most-often-leased-2019/
« Last Edit: February 09, 2021, 06:59:49 AM by jinga nation »

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8419 on: February 08, 2021, 03:23:02 PM »
Also, a lot of the luxury marque vehicles are leased. This is a list from 2019: https://cartelligent.com/blog/which-car-brands-are-most-often-leased-2019/

Do you think this is because the people who want these cars can't afford the payments to buy it outright so they lease instead to drive the brand they want at a cheaper monthly price-tag, or because they're the kind of people who want the dealer to deal with maintenance, etc. and are going to want a new car anyway?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8420 on: February 08, 2021, 05:33:00 PM »

Do you think this is because the people who want these cars can't afford the payments to buy it outright so they lease instead to drive the brand they want at a cheaper monthly price-tag, or because they're the kind of people who want the dealer to deal with maintenance, etc. and are going to want a new car anyway?

I think it's probably yes to both.    Many of them couldn't handle "unexpected" repair expenses because they've already loaded up their credit to the max because they want all the new and shiny things.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8421 on: February 09, 2021, 07:03:51 AM »

I think it's probably yes to both.    Many of them couldn't handle "unexpected" repair expenses because they've already loaded up their credit to the max because they want all the new and shiny things.

It is faster and cheaper to look rich and successful by leasing certain brands, than by saving and investing.
The Millionaire Next Door mentions the 2 comma folks having a Toyota Camry, Ford/GM sedan/truck, nothing flashy but solidly reliable.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8422 on: February 09, 2021, 08:11:26 AM »
Being owner #2 of a lease vehicles can be nice if a person picks a reliable brand... 45K miles and like new. And half the price of the new vehicle. Most are good for 250K miles if treated well.

We still really like our 20 year old used car b/c its cheap and reliable. Keeps the miles off of our nicer vehicle.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8423 on: February 09, 2021, 11:43:47 AM »
Being owner #2 of a lease vehicles can be nice if a person picks a reliable brand... 45K miles and like new. And half the price of the new vehicle. Most are good for 250K miles if treated well.

We still really like our 20 year old used car b/c its cheap and reliable. Keeps the miles off of our nicer vehicle.

I was in the market for a car after mine was totaled, and as it would happen the first model year of Chevy Bolt was coming off of 3 year leases. I have been pretty happy with it but I'm also further convinced that leasees are worse at basic car ownership than your average driver.

Key example: the windshield washer fluid wasn't working a few days after we bought it. Couldn't find anything visibly wrong, so we took it back in. As it turned out, the previous owner moved from California to Minnesota. CA bans antifreeze wiper fluid (except in the mountains?) because it's not needed and a contributor to smog, but as you might imagine, MN has a slightly bigger concern about freezing temps than about smog.

The prior owner didn't flush the freezable wiper fluid out in the fall/early winter, so the whole assembly cracked and the dealer didn't catch it. At least it was under warranty.

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8424 on: February 09, 2021, 12:22:13 PM »
The prior owner didn't flush the freezable wiper fluid out in the fall/early winter, so the whole assembly cracked and the dealer didn't catch it. At least it was under warranty.

As it turned out, the previous owner moved from California to Minnesota. CA bans antifreeze wiper fluid (except in the mountains?) because it's not needed and a contributor to smog, but as you might imagine, MN has a slightly bigger concern about freezing temps than about smog.

Thx, I never really ever hear about this actually happening - the one I buy is rated down to -15c but it can ocationally get colder when in the mountains. No damage done so far on my cars.

Many years ago we hired a car in Milan, Italy to drive into the swiss alps. When we were due to leave the ski resort the car wouldn't start and desipite us combined having an awful lot of university credits in various engineering subjects none us had a fucking clue what had happened. So we called the local garage, the dude tried starting the car and just said "diesel is frozen". Turn out they don't add the anti-freeze stuff to it in Italy so if it gets cold enough, it freezes.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #8425 on: February 09, 2021, 08:32:47 PM »
I’m curious how they “figured this out” considering the vaccine presumably hasn’t been on the market long enough to collect long term data such as impact on fertility? Maybe the snake oil, oh sorry, essential oil, told them?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8426 on: February 09, 2021, 09:01:38 PM »
I’m curious how they “figured this out” considering the vaccine presumably hasn’t been on the market long enough to collect long term data such as impact on fertility? Maybe the snake oil, oh sorry, essential oil, told them?

The subset of people who believe these conspiracy theories are a fact-resistant sub-species, in both senses of the phrase..

Nicholas Carter

• Stubble
« Reply #8427 on: February 10, 2021, 03:35:14 PM »
On a Fb group I follow, someone ask about what weird NYE traditions we have
Someone commented they start the new year getting rid of all the consumable they have around the house and opening up new packages on Jan 1st. !!!
The idea of someone throwing out their dishsoap for absolutely no reason but a sort of "I felt like it" it's absolutely mind-boggling to me
This tradition is the fragmented remnant of an old religious ritual.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8428 on: February 11, 2021, 10:36:48 AM »

Meh, I've had my kids. I got the snip and DW had a hysterectomy, so I think we'll both get over it. Maybe this is all part of the plot by the Chinese to depopulate the US and stunt our birth rate to mirror what they did with their "one child" policy... It's all starting to make sense!  /s

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8429 on: February 11, 2021, 06:03:02 PM »

Meh, I've had my kids. I got the snip and DW had a hysterectomy, so I think we'll both get over it. Maybe this is all part of the plot by the Chinese to depopulate the US and stunt our birth rate to mirror what they did with their "one child" policy... It's all starting to make sense!  /s

Oh, thank goodness!  We really don’t need any more kids...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8430 on: February 11, 2021, 06:04:56 PM »

Oh, thank goodness!  We really don’t need any more kids...

That comment could be taken two different ways, one of which DW's husband might not like as much as the other...

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8431 on: April 01, 2021, 01:33:26 PM »
Now, I spent a face-punch-worthy amount on groceries/dining out in the last year, but this amazed even me.

Thanks to a very helpful summary provided by my credit card company I was able to calculate that I spent $847.33 at Chipotle in 2020.

Well, that and all the replies indicating that most of my Facebook friends don't have any clue how much they spent until they get their handy CC summaries. 

marion10

• Bristles
« Reply #8432 on: May 17, 2021, 07:00:05 PM »
Old co-worker of mine posted her daughter’s prom pictures- and I realized that she was in two different dresses- one for dinner before and one for the prom. I guess it’s a continuation of the two wedding dress phenomenon I’ve been seeing.

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8433 on: May 18, 2021, 08:42:31 PM »
Old co-worker of mine posted her daughter’s prom pictures- and I realized that she was in two different dresses- one for dinner before and one for the prom. I guess it’s a continuation of the two wedding dress phenomenon I’ve been seeing.
Maybe she missed last year's prom due to covid, so she's wearing last year's dress and this year's dress. Because you couldn't just wear last year's unused dress to this year's prom.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8434 on: May 19, 2021, 06:49:56 AM »
Maybe she missed last year's prom due to covid, so she's wearing last year's dress and this year's dress. Because you couldn't just wear last year's unused dress to this year's prom.
What a pain in the ass to change dresses! Does that mean different shoes, handbag, hair and makeup? Did she hsul it around with her or go home between dinner and the dance?

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8435 on: May 19, 2021, 07:07:06 AM »

When I see crazy things like this, I try to imagine...in what scenario would it make sense? Is this scenario the one that makes sense, or did someone else see it, think "oh, that's a thing now, I'll do it too!" and eventually no one knows why we do this stupid thing other than "just because."

It'd make sense if they're combining photos from two events. Last year's prom was cancelled, but they still took photos with the dress (maybe in the early days when things were just starting to get locked down, they decided to quickly get some photos at a restaurant in case prom got cancelled; or maybe the photos were taken later when things opened up a bit...at a restaurant table is one of the few places where you could be at in public with your mask off). The next year (we have to assume the prior year photos were for junior prom) there's a new dress (fair enough, maybe she didn't fit in it, wasn't her style anymore, any number of reasons can actually make sense). New photos. Both sets are posted.

Someone sees this, goes "oh, we're doing two dresses for prom now" and the prom industry squeals with glee.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #8436 on: May 19, 2021, 08:51:24 AM »
One of the things that I have been noticing: folks buying these insane prom dresses JUST FOR PICTURES and then trying to resell them on fb marketplace. One posting recently listed the dress as never worn, and the seller was WEARING THE DRESS IN THE PICTURE. What IS THE POINT of buying a dress for a photo and not even going to prom?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8437 on: May 19, 2021, 08:52:30 AM »
One of the things that I have been noticing: folks buying these insane prom dresses JUST FOR PICTURES and then trying to resell them on fb marketplace. One posting recently listed the dress as never worn, and the seller was WEARING THE DRESS IN THE PICTURE. What IS THE POINT of buying a dress for a photo and not even going to prom?

I've seen that a bit this year where the dresses were bought in Jan/Feb of 2020 and then everything shut down and proms were cancelled so the dresses never got to be worn.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8438 on: May 19, 2021, 01:51:26 PM »

When I see crazy things like this, I try to imagine...in what scenario would it make sense? Is this scenario the one that makes sense, or did someone else see it, think "oh, that's a thing now, I'll do it too!" and eventually no one knows why we do this stupid thing other than "just because."

It'd make sense if they're combining photos from two events. Last year's prom was cancelled, but they still took photos with the dress (maybe in the early days when things were just starting to get locked down, they decided to quickly get some photos at a restaurant in case prom got cancelled; or maybe the photos were taken later when things opened up a bit...at a restaurant table is one of the few places where you could be at in public with your mask off). The next year (we have to assume the prior year photos were for junior prom) there's a new dress (fair enough, maybe she didn't fit in it, wasn't her style anymore, any number of reasons can actually make sense). New photos. Both sets are posted.

Someone sees this, goes "oh, we're doing two dresses for prom now" and the prom industry squeals with glee.

My prom date could have used a second dress.  It would have come in handy after I spilled sparkling apple juice on the first one...

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8439 on: May 19, 2021, 02:38:50 PM »
My prom date could have used a second dress.  It would have come in handy after I spilled sparkling apple juice on the first one...

Or a date who could hold his liqour sparkling apple juice.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #8440 on: May 20, 2021, 04:19:24 AM »

That's how they know it's true. No one who's had the vaccine has gotten pregnant and given birth. So the natural conclusion is it must make you sterile.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #8441 on: May 20, 2021, 07:50:45 AM »

That's how they know it's true. No one who's had the vaccine has gotten pregnant and given birth. So the natural conclusion is it must make you sterile.
Oh no!  You mean me (with no uterus) and my DH (vasectomy) won't have kids?!  The horror.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8442 on: May 20, 2021, 10:18:28 AM »

Oh no!  You mean me (with no uterus) and my DH (vasectomy) won't have kids?!  The horror.

Latest I've heard is that one of the side effects of actual Covid infections is ED. Covid can cause major damage to blood vessels after all.  Best argument I've heard for non-vaccinated people to get vaccinated if they are reluctant.   ;-)

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8443 on: May 20, 2021, 01:12:56 PM »

Latest I've heard is that one of the side effects of actual Covid infections is ED. Covid can cause major damage to blood vessels after all.  Best argument I've heard for non-vaccinated people to get vaccinated if they are reluctant.   ;-)

No, you've got that backwards. We don't WANT that section of the population reproducing.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8444 on: May 20, 2021, 02:30:04 PM »

I know (hope) this is satire, but even the original trial had women get pregnant in the middle of the trial, which was a helpful datapoint for pregnant women considering vaccine effects later on

Evildunk99

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8445 on: May 24, 2021, 05:14:45 PM »
Entertaining story!

Roughly 10 years ago I graduated college and found a job in the same area as my school, allowing me to rent a room with two of my close friends.  About three months into that lease, friend 1 asked if a guy we all knew could stay with us for a few weeks as his living circumstances were in flux.  We reluctantly agreed to it as we were young and didn't properly weigh the full downside to this agreement.  Shortly after the new guy moved into the basement of the house, he overstepped his boundaries, staying well past the few weeks, never chipped in for anything, and had some shady people visiting which angered everyone enough to break the lease as soon as it expired 9 months later. 

Fast forward to last week...

In catching up with these friends for a reunion, we notice that the basement dweller is working as a bus boy at the restaurant we are at.  He came over to say hi to us and we briefly shared life updates (resentment was long gone 10 years after our living arrangement).  As soon as he resumed his duties at the restaurant, we thought it would be interesting to check his facebook page to find out some more details in terms of what he's been up to. 

After living with us, he started to make a lot of money dealing drugs and had all kinds of flashy pictures of his new found money.  Then he eventually was caught and served time in jail.  After he gets out, he shares with the world that he won a Draft Kings event that paid him $100k in winnings.  Naturally, he buys a new mercedes, some expensive jewelry, clothes, etc. He also started to gain a following on social media and was riding high.  He also shares that he had a child at this point.  Shortly after that, he crashes the $70k mercedes and of course did not buy insurance on it.  The repair total is devastating and he had to sell it for salvage value (nearly scrap).  At this point he is essentially close to broke again, and cannot pay for basic expenses anymore, as all of his gambling winnings were spent almost instantly. 

Another couple years go by, and he has all kinds of posts about cryptocurrency which he gambled on to ride the recent wave to new financial heights once again! He resumes his social media posts of more flashy expenses.  Within the past couple weeks, crypto crashed -30% or so... and of course... he gets crushed by the downturn.

His most recent post was very sad.  He shares his remorse for all of the frivolous/dumb decisions in his life, and encouraged all of his friends and followers to be smart with their life choices.  He also encourages them to save/invest their money instead of pissing it away. 

My original friend from the beginning of the story received a text shortly after seeing us at the restaurant.  He asked if he could crash for a little while at his place, as he did not know that he had to pay taxes on his $100k gambling winnings, or the crypto profit that he had made (aside from the -30% drop).  He is close to $50k in tax debt now.  My friend declined to let him stay at his place.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8446 on: May 25, 2021, 05:39:58 AM »
That is quite the roller coaster of a story. I hope the guy is able to take his own advice and figure things out.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8447 on: May 25, 2021, 05:51:22 AM »
That is quite the roller coaster of a story. I hope the guy is able to take his own advice and figure things out.

I'm sure he will until the good times come along again.  Then he'll probably forget.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8448 on: May 25, 2021, 08:48:38 PM »
Noticed a couple dumb posts lately so here they are

- Random person posted on our towns local “Rant and Rave” Facebook page with a photo of at least four bottles of soda, and an armload of junk food with the caption ranting about how this particular convenience store they visit doesn’t offer bags and they “frequently” have to make two trips to their car to load their junk food.  There’s just so much of that making me want to slam my head against a wall. 

- A different person posted a question on a local buy and sell Facebook page asking if anyone has a used Landrover for sale.  They said they “need” a Landrover because they transport a disabled relative so they need room for the wheelchair, and they need 4WD because anything else won’t make it up their driveway.  Basically every response said stay away from Landrover and get a Toyota or Honda SUV, but they insisted it it had to be a Landrover, nothing else would make it up their driveway.  lol.  I doubt that.  I’ve towed a 14’ fishing boat with my 2wd Tercel up rough, unmaintained mountain forestry roads covered in ice and snow to get to lakes and never needed a Landrover to do it. 

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8449 on: May 26, 2021, 11:33:36 AM »
Rant and rave page. I like that. It's frequently accurate.

Recently, lots of posts on my town's FB page (unofficial page) revolve around the fast food chain stores. Arby's ran out of roast beef! Popeye's was really slow! Something was closed due to lack of staff! OMG! How terrible, we're going to die!!!!

Housing in my area has kitchens. It's not NYC where you'll have a mini fridge and a hot plate.

There was also a bunch of posts about people being lazy and not going back to work because of the extra unemployment. My state is stopping that I guess, so people were gloating that the "lazy bums" would have to go back to work. Um, I'm really hoping many of those "lazy bums" were able to get training and get a better job. It will be interesting to see what happens in a month or so.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!