Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6089348 times)

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #8150 on: July 29, 2019, 10:12:26 AM »
Not from Facebook, but I had to share what my husband told me yesterday. My husband and some of his friends went camping the week of Memorial Day. They started talking about money and when my husband mentioned how much personal spending money he gets every month ($400, this includes a few small bills that he pays and any spending on booze or restaurants) his friends freaked out because......... that wasn't enough money, how could he possibly have any fun or do anything on that amount?!!
These guys make really good money, like really good money (100k-200k) but between the cars, vacations, and "toys",  they'll be lucky to retire at 67.

???????? 400$ OMFG!

(For comparison: my husband and I make over 100K, and generally spend 50-60$/month on personal stuff - books for me, music for him, the occasional coffee or lunch out with friends... And this is not feeling deprived. This is genuinely how much I want to spend on a few books and a few lunches with friends. Exactly how much free time am I supposed to have that needs filling???)

Caveat: work pays for half my cell phone and my husband's is completely paid for by his work, and neither of us watch much TV but we keep netflix around as a family expense because sometimes a half hour of Octonauts is what lets us get dinner ready and chores done.

Yeah, we're budgeted $150/month each, but that includes things like almost all clothing and any meals out/activities without the rest of the family.  The only reason it's as high as $150 is because DW eats a lot of lunches out at work and I had to increase it to accommodate.  Aside from that, it's much closer to $50/month.  I'm building up quite a surplus currently.

$400 is a ton IMO, but I know there are plenty of people who spend that and much more.

I spend $600/month on discretionary stuff, and it’s all pretty mindful. Restaurants, special events and parties, clothing/hair/drycleaning, gym, public transit, gifts. I wouldn’t want to give any of that up. After all, who cares how much people spend on necessities vs. discretionary stuff if the savings rate is high enough?

You'll probably get criticized by someone on here (not me) about spending that much......my belief is that as long as you're making thoughtful decisions about how you spend your money and it adds value to your life, it's your money.   Also, if you're making $200K a year, spending less than 10% of your take home pay seems reasonable.....if you make $20K a year, spending 50% of your take home pay on discretionary things is not.
Also, what some folks call 'needs' really should be in the discretionary category.    A car may be a necessity, a $80K BMW is not.   Food is a necessity, t-bone steaks nightly is not. 

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8151 on: August 06, 2019, 05:56:13 PM »
I saw one yesterday, and many people agreeing.

"I wish my bank account looked like my car odometer."

It broke my heart.

Today he posted his new car, and the 7 miles on the odometer.  He mentioned they now match. 

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8152 on: August 06, 2019, 07:00:58 PM »
I saw one yesterday, and many people agreeing.

"I wish my bank account looked like my car odometer."

It broke my heart.

Today he posted his new car, and the 7 miles on the odometer.  He mentioned they now match.

Ha. If it's true, well that's a little sad, but I can still appreciate a good callback joke

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8153 on: September 02, 2019, 11:06:35 PM »
I posted to the ChooseFI Facebook group this morning how my new Korean telecomm insists I should have had a higher tier data plan just in case I go over the limit.  The lowest tier they offered was 2GB, but after a carefree month of Facebook, new apps, and navigation I didn't even break 600MB.  Most of the responses from other Facebook members were:

"I use 2, 4, 10, 15, 20, 26, 76, and 96GBs each month."  Only one of them said this was WiFi data.  Only one of them expressed concern over their cell phone costs.  All of this is coming from a group that is supposed to be trying to control costs and hack their lifestyle choices.

Edit: (regarding my 500MB/mo data usage) "great, but doesn’t work for anyone that wants to listen to music or watch videos throughout the work day."

I sat there shocked for an hour before I could formulate a response to that.

Edit: I was called a troll and making people angry for suggesting he put down the phone and get back to work.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 09:38:10 PM by Travis »

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8154 on: September 07, 2019, 07:28:31 AM »
Not finance related but I had to share...

We had a hurricane go up the west coast of Korea this afternoon.  Heavy winds swept up the peninsula.  On base we lost a number of trees and a wood/metal/brick barbecue gazebo collapsed.  Conversation on the photo on Facebook went like this:

Soldier A: Is that by our barracks?
Soldier B: Yep.
Soldier A: Jesus.
Soldier B: Nope, I think this will take more than 3 days to come back.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8155 on: September 08, 2019, 08:47:19 AM »
Post from someone today:

Have to rant. So i worked a 15 hr day on the way home i order jersey mikes through doordash. 4 sandwiches 78.00 with 7.00 tip. It gets there before i got home my daughter excepted it not know what we ordered. Get home its 30.00.worth of chinese. We call doordash refunded our money still have not eaten dinner its 9pm. Call jersey mikes nothing they can do. Call rice box the customer that the order we have is there. So.we talk to him said door dash canceled there order. So 9 pm at night no dinner and someone is enjoying our cheesesteaks.  Never again doordash. Nor we deliver.

$85 to get four sandwiches delivered?

He gets the money refunded and now has free Chinese food. That sounds like an awesome deal to me, but he says down in the comments that they didn’t want Chinese and threw it away. At least he is getting skewered in the comments for being such a spendypants.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 08:52:22 AM by DadJokes »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8156 on: September 08, 2019, 10:46:51 AM »
Post from someone today:

Have to rant. So i worked a 15 hr day on the way home i order jersey mikes through doordash. 4 sandwiches 78.00 with 7.00 tip. It gets there before i got home my daughter excepted it not know what we ordered. Get home its 30.00.worth of chinese. We call doordash refunded our money still have not eaten dinner its 9pm. Call jersey mikes nothing they can do. Call rice box the customer that the order we have is there. So.we talk to him said door dash canceled there order. So 9 pm at night no dinner and someone is enjoying our cheesesteaks.  Never again doordash. Nor we deliver.

He gets the money refunded and now has free Chinese food. That sounds like an awesome deal to me, but he says down in the comments that they didn’t want Chinese and threw it away. At least he is getting skewered in the comments for being such a spendypants.

I keep typing something and then deleting it because there are too many expletives.

And how much does doordash cost? I thought even their Jersey Mike's giant subs are around $10.

ETA: I was mixing up Jimmy John's and Jersey Mike's. Also, the way I wrote this may have been confusing.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:09:54 AM by Dabnasty »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8157 on: September 08, 2019, 12:50:12 PM »
Post from someone today:

I was gonna question the tip amount but then I remembered doordash was caught stealing the tips anyways.  So I guess either way it’s wrong

AerynLee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8158 on: September 08, 2019, 04:41:07 PM »
Not on FB but this is as good a place as any to share

While trying to remember if he'd paid his mortgage yet (on the third so not late)

"If I haven't paid it by the 15th I get a phone call from my bank asking if everything's okay and if there's a reason I haven't paid yet. Ask me how I know. In my defense that's only happened like twice in the last three years and the last time I just forgot to pay. It's only a $35 fee if I'm late"

He's owned the house 10 years and I know he's gotten much better at finances in the 5ish years I've known him so I shudder to think of how often it happened before the "last three years"

I wanted to say that I've never had a late payment in the 10 years we've owned a home but with other friends around it might have come across as shaming. I did mention autopay but he's still in the mindset of not having enough money and wanting to control when the payment happens

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #8159 on: September 09, 2019, 07:02:59 AM »
I keep typing something and then deleting it because there are too many expletives.

And how much does doordash cost? I thought even their giant subs are around $10.

Doordash is a meal delivery service, they take restaurants menus and post them on their own site with a (sometimes hefty) markup and have their drivers deliver it.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8160 on: September 09, 2019, 07:13:18 AM »
I still get a little mad when I order chinese and it's 35 for the three of us, but it is an occasional treat. $85 for Jimmie Johns?!? What the? I actually loved their gargantuan sandwiches, but after hearing about the big game hunting a couple years ago, no Jimmie Johns for me. Same for Papa Johns. No reason to be glorifying shooting endangered animals for sport.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8161 on: September 09, 2019, 07:38:37 AM »
Post from someone today:

And how much does doordash cost? I thought even their Jersey Mike's giant subs are around $10.

ETA: I was mixing up Jimmy John's and Jersey Mike's. Also, the way I wrote this may have been confusing.

Reminds me of the Amazon reviews where the unhappy customer chooses to throw away expensive things they were not happy with. Why? Ebay it. Return it. Give it away?

Free Chinese? Wahoo!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8162 on: September 09, 2019, 07:44:48 AM »
I made the mistake of suggesting that he might not have to work 15 hour days if he didn't spend $80 on a single meal. Heck, that's ~2.8 hours of work for me.

I didn't really mean for it to be rude (was aiming for helpful suggestion), but he didn't take it that way.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8163 on: September 09, 2019, 08:04:40 AM »
I made the mistake of suggesting that he might not have to work 15 hour days if he didn't spend $80 on a single meal. Heck, that's ~2.8 hours of work for me.

I didn't really mean for it to be rude (was aiming for helpful suggestion), but he didn't take it that way.

Regardless of how you sugar-coated it, you were still pointing out in public that he's a dumbass.   Of course he didn't like it.

(Doesn't mean you shouldn't point it out.   Just don't be surprised at the result.)

That's one reason why so many people later in life are so resistant to learning about FIRE -- to do so requires them learning that the way they've been doing things for decades was not a good decision; they squandered a lot of wealth and opportunities and much of their "bad luck" was actually the result of stupid decisions on their part.  They would rather continue being broke than admit that.

JestJes

• Stubble
« Reply #8164 on: September 09, 2019, 08:56:47 AM »

Yeah the idea of "work hard, play hard" is almost always a recipe for disaster because no one stops spending if for some reason they don't have the same money coming in. Bad year and no bonus? You still have to pay your outrageous mortgage and car lease.

I have a lot of sympathy for these people though. It seem so easy to stop spending for the naturally frugal but for many people it means unlearning year of bad money habits and building an entirely new relationship with money. Its huge transformation if you have't ever gone through it. For me I was like "Shit all these things I thought were necessities are actually luxuries?!" I had to completely restructure my life and was lucky enough to have a partner who was on board but I did lose almost all of my "friends" in the process. I can't imagine how hard it would have been to be much older and have kids with someone who wasn't on board with FIRE.

I wouldn't go back and change a thing but I always chaff when people say how easy it is. Its like dieting. Its simple math calories in vs calories out but when you look at America, how many people are still overweight? How many people fall for scam dieting programs that only make their wallets lighter. Of course its simple once you figure it out, but for people who are lost it seems very overwhelming.

Sorry to get too deep on a funny board lol

Kazyan

• Stubble
    • Books By Tanner Jacobi
« Reply #8165 on: September 09, 2019, 09:47:10 AM »
Yeah the idea of "work hard, play hard" is almost always a recipe for disaster because no one stops spending if for some reason they don't have the same money coming in. Bad year and no bonus? You still have to pay your outrageous mortgage and car lease.

I have a lot of sympathy for these people though. It seem so easy to stop spending for the naturally frugal but for many people it means unlearning year of bad money habits and building an entirely new relationship with money. Its huge transformation if you have't ever gone through it. For me I was like "Shit all these things I thought were necessities are actually luxuries?!" I had to completely restructure my life and was lucky enough to have a partner who was on board but I did lose almost all of my "friends" in the process. I can't imagine how hard it would have been to be much older and have kids with someone who wasn't on board with FIRE.

I wouldn't go back and change a thing but I always chaff when people say how easy it is. Its like dieting. Its simple math calories in vs calories out but when you look at America, how many people are still overweight? How many people fall for scam dieting programs that only make their wallets lighter. Of course its simple once you figure it out, but for people who are lost it seems very overwhelming.

Yeah, an unfortunate part of life is that you can know exactly how the math works, but it won't help if your psychology isn't equipped to act on it. And people behave differently in different parts of life, too; humans aren't consistent. e.g. I have a ~64% savings rate and 50 pounds of obesity that is unlikely to go away anytime soon. So I have a variable amount of sympathy for spendypants suckers even while their trainwrecks entertain us all.

JestJes

• Stubble
« Reply #8166 on: September 09, 2019, 10:29:35 AM »

Yeah, an unfortunate part of life is that you can know exactly how the math works, but it won't help if your psychology isn't equipped to act on it. And people behave differently in different parts of life, too; humans aren't consistent. e.g. I have a ~64% savings rate and 50 pounds of obesity that is unlikely to go away anytime soon. So I have a variable amount of sympathy for spendypants suckers even while their trainwrecks entertain us all.

Isn't it strange? I went from something like a -10% saving rate to 35% (still working on it) and I have put on a little weight. I used to have a big fancy crossfit gym and some sort of beach vacation planned when I needed to look good for Instagram. Now I just have my health and wellness to motivate me and I have to make all my healthy food at home. Bleh

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8167 on: September 09, 2019, 10:41:03 AM »
I think the self control needed to do things like maintain a good savings rate and stay healthy all comes from the same reservoir. I find that I have only a finite amount of control to do good things during the day. If the house is neat and the To Do list is tackled then I don’t have the energy to floss my teeth or prepare dinner. There is only so much of me to go around so I have to be carful where I choose to spend my mental energy. When I don’t get enough sleep then the amount of mental energy available to do responsible adult stuff goes way down.

JestJes

• Stubble
« Reply #8168 on: September 09, 2019, 11:04:47 AM »
I think the self control needed to do things like maintain a good savings rate and stay healthy all comes from the same reservoir. I find that I have only a finite amount of control to do good things during the day. If the house is neat and the To Do list is tackled then I don’t have the energy to floss my teeth or prepare dinner. There is only so much of me to go around so I have to be carful where I choose to spend my mental energy. When I don’t get enough sleep then the amount of mental energy available to do responsible adult stuff goes way down.

This is exactly how I am. I think it will switch eventually like when I don't have to worry as much about money and everything is on autopilot but for I have to get out of debt, work my side hustle, take care of my mental and physical health, and continue to optimize my life. Its takes a lot of mental bandwidth.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8169 on: September 09, 2019, 11:24:58 AM »
I think this is an actual, scientifically proven thing.  Something like "you can only make N decisions every day."  It's one reason why some people wear the exact same outfit every day--it spares them that one decision.

Here's one article about it.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8170 on: September 09, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »
I think this is an actual, scientifically proven thing.  Something like "you can only make N decisions every day."  It's one reason why some people wear the exact same outfit every day--it spares them that one decision.

Yup, for me it's like that as well. I am super in control at work, grad school and side hustle but it's a permanent challenge to keep my house looking neat, eat healthy and get enough exercise. When I had 3 weeks off from work the house looked picture perfect, I went on long walks, lost a bit of weight and didn't crave chocolate once. Being as far away from FIRE as I am (and on a low, unstable income) I just feel like I have to prioritize certain things over others. It's ironic that that means not prioritizing healthy living as I have had a chronic illness since I was a teenager: I need a stable job where I can't be laid off if I'm ill and that pays enough to be able to afford all my medical needs - and I know I only have this moment in time to save up a stash before I become unable to work.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8171 on: September 09, 2019, 11:50:22 AM »

Yup, for me it's like that as well. I am super in control at work, grad school and side hustle but it's a permanent challenge to keep my house looking neat, eat healthy and get enough exercise. When I had 3 weeks off from work the house looked picture perfect, I went on long walks, lost a bit of weight and didn't crave chocolate once. Being as far away from FIRE as I am (and on a low, unstable income) I just feel like I have to prioritize certain things over others. It's ironic that that means not prioritizing healthy living as I have had a chronic illness since I was a teenager: I need a stable job where I can't be laid off if I'm ill and that pays enough to be able to afford all my medical needs - and I know I only have this moment in time to save up a stash before I become unable to work.

Work, parenting, time with spouse, eating healthy, cleaning the house, exercising...

There really is far too much to find the energy to do. Lately, it feels like I'm so drained by the first that only a tiny bit of energy gets allocated to the next two, and everything else is generally ignored.

Thankfully finances are on auto-pilot at this point, even if we aren't far along.

LiveLean

• Pencil Stache
    • ToLiveLean
« Reply #8172 on: September 13, 2019, 12:13:20 PM »
When my sons had the HPV vaccination they both questioned why it was necessary.

I told them to Google "anal cancer."

They had no further questions.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8173 on: September 13, 2019, 12:42:11 PM »
When my sons had the HPV vaccination they both questioned why it was necessary.

I told them to Google "anal cancer."

They had no further questions.

That’s what I telly kids when they ask why they should clean their room

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #8174 on: September 13, 2019, 02:51:58 PM »
I'm trying that tonight. Everyone cleans their room or ....!!!

There are days when getting the dishwasher unloaded by a child is impossible!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #8175 on: September 14, 2019, 12:55:22 PM »
I think the best way to avoid self-control fatigue is probably to automate as much as possible and make the correct option the easiest one. Like, finances can be close to 100% automated and require zero effort. You can even set up things like an automated weekly grocery delivery these days (I used to do it when I was single). Weekend meal prep ensures you have zero-thought, zero-effort meals all week. People have long found that not keeping junk food at home usually almost entirely eliminates consuming it, because they eat what they do have instead rather than going to the effort of going and buying potato chips. Being very minimalist and living in a small space greatly reduces daily housework. Not having a car at all means you don't need to have an internal struggle between biking or driving somewhere. And so on.

Many years ago I decided I wanted the vast majority of my non-working time and mental energy to go towards fun things instead of boring shit, so I implemented all of those things, and it really does work.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8176 on: November 19, 2019, 08:16:36 AM »
I just got an email from my credit union.  The subject is "Looking for a new vehicle? Check out our inventory of repossessions!"  A couple of things come to mind here.  The first is that it's likely that this was sent to their entire email list and it's equally likely that the people who have had their cars repo'd probably got the same email.  Talk about throwing salt on the wound. 

I decided to poke around to see what they've got.  I like how they have an asking price now.  The process for buying a repo used to be submit a bid and wait a week to see if the bid was accepted.  I see now why none of the bids I submitted in the past were accepted.  They have a 2016 F-350 with 130k miles and are asking $44k for it.  I actually think that's pretty close to blue book on it.  So much for finding a good deal buying repos...

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8177 on: November 19, 2019, 11:03:51 PM »
I just got an email from my credit union.  The subject is "Looking for a new vehicle? Check out our inventory of repossessions!"  A couple of things come to mind here.  The first is that it's likely that this was sent to their entire email list and it's equally likely that the people who have had their cars repo'd probably got the same email.  Talk about throwing salt on the wound. 

I decided to poke around to see what they've got.  I like how they have an asking price now.  The process for buying a repo used to be submit a bid and wait a week to see if the bid was accepted.  I see now why none of the bids I submitted in the past were accepted.  They have a 2016 F-350 with 130k miles and are asking $44k for it.  I actually think that's pretty close to blue book on it.  So much for finding a good deal buying repos...
1. That's hilarious that you might get a spam email from your bank trying to resell your car.
2. I imagine the bank is paying a storage fee somewhere for their fleet. I wonder how long before they'd start lowering the price to offload it?
3. Holy shit, that had to be an $80k truck brand new...

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8178 on: November 20, 2019, 05:01:29 AM »

1. That's hilarious that you might get a spam email from your bank trying to resell your car.
2. I imagine the bank is paying a storage fee somewhere for their fleet. I wonder how long before they'd start lowering the price to offload it?
3. Holy shit, that had to be an $80k truck brand new...

So, it's a credit union who's original target member were people who work at the same place I do.  A fair amount of repos are held in a parking lot right outside the gate, which again sucks if you have to see your car for sale every day coming and going to work.  When I first started working here, a lot of people were working a lot of mandatory OT and had been doing so for years.  Like 66 hour weeks every week for 10 years.  People started forgetting what they really made and started using the OT paystubs to buy toys.  In 2008, the OT tap was cut off nearly overnight.  The amount of available trucks, RVs, and boats sitting in that lot doubled a couple of months later.  It was really sad. 

My brother works there and he says that they try to get blue book and/or what the borrower owes on it.  If it doesn't sell then it goes to auction.  If I'm a borrower, I'm hoping that they are going to sell it to a private party because there's a better chance of covering what I owe on it and not sticking me with a large deficiency.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8179 on: December 30, 2019, 09:27:48 AM »
In the FatFire facebook page aka, at times the rich people are slumming here page:

"I am currently on vacation in Miami Beach for 5 days. This vacay is also costing 25k. Due to the high demand in the post holiday season both hotels and flights were 2-3 times what they cost other times. So I am getting a decidedly 4 star experience for 5 star prices (mediocre room at blah hotel for 1k a night per room).... I feel resentful and stupid that I planned this vacay for this high price time....Can anyone make me feel better?"

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #8180 on: December 30, 2019, 11:00:03 AM »
I feel like this is a great illustration of the difference in viewpoints:

FI Re-write:
Retirement age is 67.
Life expectancy is 78.
Work for 50 years to maybe enjoy 11?
Start saving more and spending less.
Then retirement will come sooner.

What would be your re-write?

GreenToTheCore

• Bristles
« Reply #8181 on: December 30, 2019, 11:02:31 AM »
In the FatFire facebook page aka, at times the rich people are slumming here page:

"I am currently on vacation in Miami Beach for 5 days. This vacay is also costing 25k. Due to the high demand in the post holiday season both hotels and flights were 2-3 times what they cost other times. So I am getting a decidedly 4 star experience for 5 star prices (mediocre room at blah hotel for 1k a night per room).... I feel resentful and stupid that I planned this vacay for this high price time....Can anyone make me feel better?"

Goodness, did they not look at the cost when they booked those services? Not like they just surprise you with a bill after you fly/check-in.
What were the responses?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8182 on: December 30, 2019, 11:33:39 AM »

Goodness, did they not look at the cost when they booked those services? Not like they just surprise you with a bill after you fly/check-in.
What were the responses?

Not familiar with the FatFire page on FB (because I don't use social media), but "travel planning is hard", especially if the kid-adults were raised where everything was done for them, or if they gained that big inheritance but ain't worked a real job.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8183 on: December 30, 2019, 11:58:51 AM »

I just requested to join that facebook page, if this is the type of thing posted..... I want to watch (off to make popcorn to enjoy the show).

sounds like they booked last minute....I just popped on to the marriott website, and hotels are stupid expensive $200-300 a night, but not seeing $1,000 per night.....where the fuck are they staying?, since they're calling it 4 star.....and they certainly didn't "plan" anything if they're paying $25K.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8184 on: December 30, 2019, 01:30:19 PM »
I don't know what their idea of 'mediocre' is but I can't imagine a $1000 room that's 'mediocre'. Last time I stayed in a mediocre room it cost €25...

Not There Yet

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8185 on: December 30, 2019, 03:45:30 PM »
Sounds like humble bragging to me, especially since he uses that ridiculous baby-talk "vacay".

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8186 on: December 30, 2019, 04:42:02 PM »
This is the response I wrote and didn't press "Post" for:

"Can anyone help me feel better?"

Not if I give my truthful opinion.

You're spending nearly one half what the median family gross income is for an entire year and you've done it before, too.

And it's not perfectly to your liking?  #QueueTheTinyViolins

Plan better next time.   

And nobody likes a whiner.

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8187 on: December 30, 2019, 06:59:24 PM »

I just requested to join that facebook page, if this is the type of thing posted..... I want to watch (off to make popcorn to enjoy the show).

sounds like they booked last minute....I just popped on to the marriott website, and hotels are stupid expensive $200-300 a night, but not seeing $1,000 per night.....where the fuck are they staying?, since they're calling it 4 star.....and they certainly didn't "plan" anything if they're paying $25K.

Yeah, that's... exorbitant. DH and I stayed at Little Palm Island in the Florida Keys for 5 nights the week of Valentines Day and it was $10K for everything, and that resort is NICE. (Belated honeymoon, not an every-year occurrence!)

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8188 on: December 30, 2019, 07:22:19 PM »

Yeah, that's... exorbitant. DH and I stayed at Little Palm Island in the Florida Keys for 5 nights the week of Valentines Day and it was $10K for everything, and that resort is NICE. (Belated honeymoon, not an every-year occurrence!)

I swear that group is the only group that can make me think that I am working toward LeanFIRE vs. a huge abundance.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #8189 on: December 31, 2019, 01:33:58 AM »
Sounds like humble bragging to me, especially since he uses that ridiculous baby-talk "vacay".
Did he have brekkie with all his fave celebs?

/sarcasm. Because, seriously, the baby talk makes me want to puke.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8190 on: December 31, 2019, 08:17:49 AM »

Definitely some bragging in there. "This vacay" as in "I've taken others and plan to do it again."  They're either advertising that they're incredibly stupid at planning and not reading price tags, or bragging that they can afford to blow that much money.  The last time I had a $1000 hotel bill I was staying somewhere for two weeks.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8191 on: December 31, 2019, 08:30:54 AM »

Definitely some bragging in there. "This vacay" as in "I've taken others and plan to do it again."  They're either advertising that they're incredibly stupid at planning and not reading price tags, or bragging that they can afford to blow that much money.  The last time I had a $1000 hotel bill I was staying somewhere for two weeks.

I can’t even with the fat fire community

SugarMountain

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8192 on: December 31, 2019, 09:03:43 AM »
I joined fatFIRE a few months ago and I would definitely say it's a mixed bag. Some is interesting, some is ridiculous. $25k for a week in Miami seems nuts, though. What do I know, though, we just dropped $76 at La Quinta Inn last week while driving to my parents (#humblebrag).

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8193 on: December 31, 2019, 09:10:19 AM »
Given the discussion about the uber-wealthy fatFIRE group, it's important to get a balanced perspective, so I offer up for your perusal the:

Socially Conscious Mustachians

https://www.facebook.com/groups/503774263339844/

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8194 on: December 31, 2019, 09:47:56 AM »

I can’t even with the fat fire community

7.9/10 troll.  I can't give it an 8 cause it's a bit too obvious.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8195 on: January 01, 2020, 06:55:13 AM »
Seen this morning:
Person 1: "your car costs more to run than mine."
Person 2: "yeah? Filling my tank costs me 40$"
Person 1: "oh, filling my tank costs me 80."

... congrats. One tank is bigger than the other. This... has nothing to do with how much the car costs to run? How far do you go on it? What are the maintenance costs? How often do you drive? Come on, make an effort...

Honestly, that profound lack of understanding explains a LOT about both their lives.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8196 on: January 01, 2020, 12:07:08 PM »
Funny troll, though.

Bloop Bloop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8197 on: January 01, 2020, 11:52:20 PM »

The difference is that fat people know they're fat and only a tiny minority of people try to justify it or say that it's an optimum state to be in. They might accept it but they don't extol it. Many high spenders genuinely think the only way to live is by spending every penny.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8198 on: January 03, 2020, 07:10:35 AM »
The difference is that fat people know they're fat and only a tiny minority of people try to justify it or say that it's an optimum state to be in. They might accept it but they don't extol it.

Hold my beer... you haven't met fat people in my family. I mean, my extended family. (pun intended)

There's this idea in (East) Indian and African cultures that being fat = healthy. Being slim is associated with poverty.

Every time I go back to East Africa, my relatives assume things are bad for my wife and me. I have to explain to them that being poor in America means you can't afford a lot of veggies and whole grain foods in the supermarket, that food deserts exist, and we don't live in one.

White bread syndrome:
America - cheapest you can find, bad for you.
East Africa - associated with wealth, because brown bread is more common and cheaper. Also, "White is Right"

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8199 on: January 03, 2020, 12:05:35 PM »
The difference is that fat people know they're fat and only a tiny minority of people try to justify it or say that it's an optimum state to be in. They might accept it but they don't extol it.

Hold my beer... you haven't met fat people in my family. I mean, my extended family. (pun intended)

There's this idea in (East) Indian and African cultures that being fat = healthy. Being slim is associated with poverty.

Every time I go back to East Africa, my relatives assume things are bad for my wife and me. I have to explain to them that being poor in America means you can't afford a lot of veggies and whole grain foods in the supermarket, that food deserts exist, and we don't live in one.

White bread syndrome:
America - cheapest you can find, bad for you.
East Africa - associated with wealth, because brown bread is more common and cheaper. Also, "White is Right"

Being slim was associated with poverty for millennia!  Being fat is only a recent pathology.  And having some fat is good if you get sick, from what I understand.