Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082203 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #7900 on: February 17, 2019, 03:42:23 AM »
Then of course Amber Alerts often aren't timely or accurate. Frequently they are not released until hours after the body is found. Then there's the second alert that contains the same information as the first one, and the third extra unneccessary alert that cancels the first two. Result: you're woken up three times. First, it's because of something bad that happened two hundred miles away five hours ago, and they found the missing kid three hours ago. Then, it's because it's an hour later and there was fresh information six hours ago. Finally it's two hours later, canceling both alerts. You have lost four hours of sleep, and every single wake-up was completely unnecessary because the victim had already been found.

Most of the time it's two bickering parents who are too immature to manage their divorce like adults, and one decides to call in a false report against the other.

Call me a luddite but would turning off the phone / pulling out the battery be the solution?

Then of course lots of furious lobbying at the next election to amend the scope an intrusiveness of alerts.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7901 on: February 17, 2019, 07:35:33 AM »

Call me a luddite but would turning off the phone / pulling out the battery be the solution?

Then of course lots of furious lobbying at the next election to amend the scope an intrusiveness of alerts.
I don' t have the option of turning off the phone - I'm on call for work and have elderly parents.  I SHOULD have the option to choose who can ring through a do not disturb option, the Canadian government had that option taken away from me.  They had the wireless companies disable functionality on smart phones.  That is want I'm rallying against, the it is government over-reach.    And it's not even effective - some sound sleepers slept through it or heard it, wondered what the noise was and rolled over.  It's the light or poor sleepers like me that ended up awake for several hours.

And an unexpected phone alert is not the same as a fire hall siren - people who buy houses across from a fire hall/hospital/police station or under an airport flight pattern should expect noise - the house was priced accordingly.

And my original estimate of people affected was probably very low, it went out over a 500-1000 mile radius in the most populated area of Canada.

I am happy to get all the frickin' alerts they want to send me while I'm awake, but if I've put my phone on DND, I'm going to do fuck all, so I want them to fuck off.  I am not a child hating selfish prick who doesn't deserve to live in society, I am a realistic human being who knows what I will and won't do.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7902 on: February 17, 2019, 07:38:26 AM »
Then of course Amber Alerts often aren't timely or accurate. Frequently they are not released until hours after the body is found. Then there's the second alert that contains the same information as the first one, and the third extra unneccessary alert that cancels the first two. Result: you're woken up three times. First, it's because of something bad that happened two hundred miles away five hours ago, and they found the missing kid three hours ago. Then, it's because it's an hour later and there was fresh information six hours ago. Finally it's two hours later, canceling both alerts. You have lost four hours of sleep, and every single wake-up was completely unnecessary because the victim had already been found.

Most of the time it's two bickering parents who are too immature to manage their divorce like adults, and one decides to call in a false report against the other.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7903 on: February 17, 2019, 09:35:22 AM »
thank you for a thoughtful response.  Our messages are similar.  Do you have the option putting your phone 'do not disturb'?  This is the main thing I am objecting to, that my over-reaching government has deemed that I don't have the right to 'do not disturb'.....the same government that allows anti-vaxers to not inoculate their child and put other children at risk.

and do people really fall back to sleep in two minutes after an ear piercing alert?  I was still awake when the second one came in an hour later, and awake 2 hours after that.
There *is* another option: root your phone.  If you have root, you may have that more granular control over emergency broadcasts. Many custom ROMs, including the one on my phone do exactly that. My phone is set to ignore Amber alaerts and presidential alerts (remember when Pres. Obama used that one as a PSA to go and vote?), but show alerts for severe or extreme threats.

EDIT:  I've been corrected on the strikethrough portion above.  I wonder where I got that thought...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:27:55 PM by zolotiyeruki »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7904 on: February 17, 2019, 09:52:16 AM »
There *is* another option: root your phone.  If you have root, you may have that more granular control over emergency broadcasts. Many custom ROMs, including the one on my phone do exactly that. My phone is set to ignore Amber alaerts and presidential alerts (remember when Pres. Obama used that one as a PSA to go and vote?), but show alerts for severe or extreme threats.
[/quote]
Huh?  The first "Presidential Alert" went out last year, so I really don't think it was Obama.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7905 on: February 17, 2019, 09:58:44 AM »
Huh?  The first "Presidential Alert" went out last year, so I really don't think it was Obama.
[/quote]

As I recall, Obama set the system into motion, but never used it. And I know a lot of people who would have lifted a mighty uproar.

Moreover, it sounds we have to ask if the override that brought up this up would be fixed on a phone level. Has the Canadian government required a line of code in the operating system or is there some manner of overriding it at the broadcast system level?

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7906 on: February 17, 2019, 10:28:10 AM »
thank you for a thoughtful response.  Our messages are similar.  Do you have the option putting your phone 'do not disturb'?  This is the main thing I am objecting to, that my over-reaching government has deemed that I don't have the right to 'do not disturb'.....the same government that allows anti-vaxers to not inoculate their child and put other children at risk.

and do people really fall back to sleep in two minutes after an ear piercing alert?  I was still awake when the second one came in an hour later, and awake 2 hours after that.

I don't remember it because it never happened. Nice try. The Trump administration was the first to use the system as a test.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7907 on: February 17, 2019, 10:29:13 AM »
What the fuck is anyone going to do about the tragedy from their bedroom in the middle of the night?

Um... realise they saw something critical 4 hours earlier and call the police before some shitbag has the opportunity to move, abuse or kill a child??? Do you also bitch and moan if the fire department uses sirens while attending your neighbour's house fire while you're trying to watch the news??? After all, what are you meant to do about said fire?

Actually, people complain about fire alarms all the time.  I lived across the street from a fire station and they had a policy to not turn on the sirens  at night (unless necessary) within 2 blocks of the fire hall.  That way they spread out the "wake people up at night" factor...  people would be impacted only 1/3 of the time, because they would drive in different directions depending on the call.

I think the challenge with the Amber Alert is -- multiple calls in the night, not just one...and..   Sent out to 4 million people, overriding DND, not to just 1000 people (example) in the target area.  This could lead to Amber alerts several times a week or more in major areas, if they don't fine tune their settings.

I hate this kind of selfish take on life. If you want the benefits of living in a herd, there are certain prices to pay, and this is one of them. Someone fighting for their life over-rules your convenience EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

I see this most often in hospital waiting rooms, some twit with a cut needing a few stitches whining because they were first.... meanwhile an infant needs resus. I just tell them now - sorry, arsehole, we're trying to save the inconvenient life of a two year old out the back, fucking two year olds, you know how it is.
I get your take on the point, and I know what you mean in the waiting room (some asshole with an infected toenail was crying up a storm while I was wheeled in before him with an exploded appendix).

Back to the amber alert: I have 2 kids, both with a disability. If there is a way I can help then by all means, send me a message. But, getting a message, hours after its applicable and 150km off, is both useless and demeaning. There is absolutely nothing I can contribute, and the fact that I know this means they just raised my adrenaline for no apparent reason.
The only way for this message to be useful is if it is timely and localised. If it's not both, send out a general message rather than spamming 1 million phones. I watch the news, and if I see an amber Alert I'll read it but for someone to decide that a kidnapping 50km north with the suspect last seen 150km north of my position just isn't useful to anyone.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #7908 on: February 17, 2019, 11:26:03 AM »

I don' t have the option of turning off the phone - I'm on call for work and have elderly parents.  I SHOULD have the option to choose who can ring through a do not disturb option, the Canadian government had that option taken away from me.  They had the wireless companies disable functionality on smart phones.  That is want I'm rallying against, the it is government over-reach.    And it's not even effective - some sound sleepers slept through it or heard it, wondered what the noise was and rolled over.  It's the light or poor sleepers like me that ended up awake for several hours.

And an unexpected phone alert is not the same as a fire hall siren - people who buy houses across from a fire hall/hospital/police station or under an airport flight pattern should expect noise - the house was priced accordingly.

And my original estimate of people affected was probably very low, it went out over a 500-1000 mile radius in the most populated area of Canada.

I am happy to get all the frickin' alerts they want to send me while I'm awake, but if I've put my phone on DND, I'm going to do fuck all, so I want them to fuck off.  I am not a child hating selfish prick who doesn't deserve to live in society, I am a realistic human being who knows what I will and won't do.

I guess it would be an extra expense, but what if you got a cheap flip phone to leave on at night for emergencies, and turned the smart phone off? As a happy flip phone user, I can tell you the alerts don't come through on them - probably because they don't have the hardware or something.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #7909 on: February 17, 2019, 11:58:34 AM »
If a phone supports WiFi calling, you could Use airplane mode and let the phone only use WiFi calling.  In my experience, and let me know if wrong, is that these alerts don’t work on WiFi calling, but it very well might depend on the carrier implemebtation

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7910 on: February 17, 2019, 01:39:19 PM »

As I recall, Obama set the system into motion, but never used it. And I know a lot of people who would have lifted a mighty uproar.
I don't remember it because it never happened. Nice try. The Trump administration was the first to use the system as a test.

I stand corrected (and have updated my earlier post).  Thanks!

TexasRunner

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7911 on: February 18, 2019, 09:50:07 AM »

Add to this the government stupidity of region classifications...  Me and my coworkers regularly get Amber Alerts (that interrupts the whole office) for situations in Houston or Waco.  Once was because of a situation in Abilene, Tx.

Using Tyler Texas as an example, thats 198 miles away (Houston), 146 miles away (Waco) or 280 miles away (Abiline):  and across HALF OF TEXAS.  Thats like being in New York and getting an Amber Alert from Richmond Virginia...  They were (and still are) regularly sending out Amber Alerts to millions of people across hundreds of miles for dubious reasons.  I wouldn't mind in my immediate town, or even any town immediately preceding mine- as in a 30 mile radius.  But we are talking about a 4 hour drive away at 60mph (and we aren't located along an interstate corridor of travel).  Basically idiocy that blasts out to millions of people at any point in time all for one circumstance that may be dubious (eg fighting divorcees example).

Oh, and the only option on my phone is to completely opt out.  So no wildfire or tornado warnings either (which actually does affect thousands of people across vast swaths of area), and no way of saying only alert me if I'm within __ distance.  Typical great idea that is horribly ruined by government incompetence.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7912 on: February 18, 2019, 01:15:29 PM »
Add to this the government stupidity of region classifications...  Me and my coworkers regularly get Amber Alerts (that interrupts the whole office) for situations in Houston or Waco.  Once was because of a situation in Abilene, Tx.

I'm in Houston and I feel the same way about alerts originating from the other side of Texas. Meanwhile, we would never see anything out of Louisiana communities that are geographically closer to us. The system certainly deserves better targeting capability for sure.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7913 on: February 18, 2019, 01:33:14 PM »
I'd like to derail this thread for a sec to say...

Happy birthday, @marty998!

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7914 on: February 18, 2019, 11:56:34 PM »
I'd like to derail this thread for a sec to say...

Happy birthday, @marty998!

@mustachepungoeshere thankyou :)

In suitably Mustachian fashion we managed to celebrate it in under $10 this evening, didn't we :D

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7915 on: February 19, 2019, 07:01:45 AM »
fuck the amber alert and emergency alert notifications.  I disabled them on my phone, and will always 100% disable them on every phone I ever have.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7916 on: February 19, 2019, 07:02:39 AM »
What the fuck is anyone going to do about the tragedy from their bedroom in the middle of the night?

Um... realise they saw something critical 4 hours earlier and call the police before some shitbag has the opportunity to move, abuse or kill a child??? Do you also bitch and moan if the fire department uses sirens while attending your neighbour's house fire while you're trying to watch the news??? After all, what are you meant to do about said fire?

Actually, people complain about fire alarms all the time.  I lived across the street from a fire station and they had a policy to not turn on the sirens  at night (unless necessary) within 2 blocks of the fire hall.  That way they spread out the "wake people up at night" factor...  people would be impacted only 1/3 of the time, because they would drive in different directions depending on the call.

I think the challenge with the Amber Alert is -- multiple calls in the night, not just one...and..   Sent out to 4 million people, overriding DND, not to just 1000 people (example) in the target area.  This could lead to Amber alerts several times a week or more in major areas, if they don't fine tune their settings.

When I lived closer to train tracks, I complained about the train horn all the time. The train would come through in the middle of the night and lay on the horn for a full minute.

I never understood the point of using a train horn when every railroad crossing in town had bars that came down to block traffic. If people aren't going to be impeded by the bars, then a train horn isn't going to stop them either. Quit waking people up.

However, every now and then, some idiot still gets hit by the train. Stupid can overcome all preventative measures.

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7917 on: February 19, 2019, 08:34:06 AM »

I hate this kind of selfish take on life. If you want the benefits of living in a herd, there are certain prices to pay, and this is one of them. Someone fighting for their life over-rules your convenience EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

I see this most often in hospital waiting rooms, some twit with a cut needing a few stitches whining because they were first.... meanwhile an infant needs resus. I just tell them now - sorry, arsehole, we're trying to save the inconvenient life of a two year old out the back, fucking two year olds, you know how it is.

But this is a false equivalence. Some asshole in the ER /= four million people spread over who knows what distance, uninvolved with the tragic event, and who have tried to adjust the settings on their phones so they can sleep in their homes, until the government overrides those settings not once but twice. Of the four million, how many do you suppose were trauma surgeons who needed to be fresh the next day to save lives? How many others similar? It doesn't even accomplish the "greater good" goal.

It's not false equivalency at all.... because the fact is that all of those people woken up are completely prepared to be woken up as long as they feel it involves them. That's why their phone is on. It's on for stupid texts from friends, a morning alarm, so you can hear urgent info about your own kids (obviously more important that someone else's...), in my neck of the woods it's on for tsunami alerts, it's even on for parcel delivery texts. If you don't want anyone waking you, do what trauma surgeons actually do and turn your phone off. That's right, they turn their phones off when they're off duty. The fact is that a child in danger does involve all of the millions of people in the vicinity, because any one of those could have seen something that would save a life. You have the choice whether of not you participate, so stop whining when you get a text that wasn't one you wanted.
I think you need to re-read my original post on the topic.  I don't have the choice of whether I get to participate unless I turn off my phone.  The Canadian government mandated that the functionality to turn off alerts be disabled.   That's what I'm bitching about, and I'm sure as fuck am not whinning about it.  Whinning is a victim stance, I'm angry about government over-reach.   

a286

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7918 on: February 19, 2019, 08:41:22 AM »
Stupid can overcome all preventative measures.
This should be embroidered on a pillow.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7919 on: February 19, 2019, 09:02:16 AM »
Hey, did you know that people who are physically able to do their own grocery shopping, but choose to order grocery pickup are just lazy bums?

Nevermind the fact that shopping online (almost) 100% guarantees that I stick to my list, have no impulse purchases, and stick to my budget.  Or the fact that my time is valuable to me and I don't want to spend it grocery shopping.  I'm just a worthless, lazy millennial.  LOL.

ETA:  Online ordering is also apparently an opening for identity theft and domestic terrorism.  I think the tin foil hats are on aisle 5...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:09:16 AM by Sugaree »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7920 on: February 19, 2019, 09:12:54 AM »
Hey, did you know that people who are physically able to do their own grocery shopping, but choose to order grocery pickup are just lazy bums?

Nevermind the fact that shopping online (almost) 100% guarantees that I stick to my list, have no impulse purchases, and stick to my budget.  Or the fact that my time is valuable to me and I don't want to spend it grocery shopping.  I'm just a worthless, lazy millennial.  LOL.
Yeah, a long time ago, DW used to take the kids grocery shopping.  Eventually that was too much effort, so she shifted to going at 6am before the kids got up.  Once our local Walmart started doing grocery pickup, we pounced on it.  It's not a matter of laziness at all--DW is probably the hardest working person I know.  Grocery trips used to take her over an hour, including driving time.  Now it takes 25 minutes.  That extra 35 minutes is huge.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7921 on: February 19, 2019, 09:16:42 AM »

Yeah, a long time ago, DW used to take the kids grocery shopping.  Eventually that was too much effort, so she shifted to going at 6am before the kids got up.  Once our local Walmart started doing grocery pickup, we pounced on it.  It's not a matter of laziness at all--DW is probably the hardest working person I know.  Grocery trips used to take her over an hour, including driving time.  Now it takes 25 minutes.  That extra 35 minutes is huge.

It's not even that.  I have an app/website where I organize recipes and plan menus.  It generates a shopping list for me.  I can use that app and sit in my kitchen and literally go down the list and see what I have and what I don't.  I can also use those prices to check against the loss leaders at other stores and see what, if anything, is worth stopping somewhere else for.  I'm staying on, or below, budget and I don't have to go into Walmart.  Win-win.  The old farts just want to be able to bitch about something. 

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7922 on: February 19, 2019, 09:49:15 AM »

It's not even that.  I have an app/website where I organize recipes and plan menus.  It generates a shopping list for me.  I can use that app and sit in my kitchen and literally go down the list and see what I have and what I don't.  I can also use those prices to check against the loss leaders at other stores and see what, if anything, is worth stopping somewhere else for.  I'm staying on, or below, budget and I don't have to go into Walmart.  Win-win.  The old farts just want to be able to bitch about something.
hey, I'm an old fart, I wasn't bitching about it.....I love on-line shopping, and do it wherever possible (and free).  I haven't gotten into on-line grocery shopping yet for two reasons
(1) they charge me $5.95 for that service
(2) I do alot of price matching for groceries, and the on-line system doesn't handle that (yet???).  And I want to save that money....but I've choosen to spent my time to save that money....but I HATE grocery shopping, so I totally get why someone with children would choose to avoid it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7923 on: February 19, 2019, 10:04:31 AM »

hey, I'm an old fart, I wasn't bitching about it.....I love on-line shopping, and do it wherever possible (and free).  I haven't gotten into on-line grocery shopping yet for two reasons
(2) I do alot of price matching for groceries, and the on-line system doesn't handle that (yet???).  And I want to save that money....but I've choosen to spent my time to save that money....but I HATE grocery shopping, so I totally get why someone with children would choose to avoid it.
Ah, that makes sense.  Walmart doesn't charge for pickup (yay!), and a couple years ago they discontinued their price match policy (boooo!)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7924 on: February 19, 2019, 10:09:13 AM »

I live in an area where there's not a whole lot of competition when it comes to groceries.  There is Walmart and a couple of independent cost-plus-10% stores and a local chain.  There's a Publix and Aldi, but they are at least a 30-45 minute drive from my house.  I've done the price book thing and Walmart is cheaper for 98% of the things we buy on a regular basis.  Where I can save money is by checking out the loss leaders from the non-WM stores.  Generally, I'll stock up on meat when there's a good price on it.  Lately, I've been stocking up on cases from a local butcher/meat store.  Turkey Sausage for $.60/lb and picnic hams for $.50/lb. 

The price match thing is weird with Walmart these days.  The price check thing on the app has to be used with Walmart Pay.  Which I don't mind because I'd pay for everything with my phone if I could.  But I haven't found a way to submit receipts using the online ordering yet. 

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7925 on: February 19, 2019, 01:43:53 PM »
The price match thing is weird with Walmart these days.  The price check thing on the app has to be used with Walmart Pay.  Which I don't mind because I'd pay for everything with my phone if I could.  But I haven't found a way to submit receipts using the online ordering yet.

Its been several months since I last used the Walmart Grocery Pickup but there used to be a code on the receipt of the grocery app to use to submit for the savings catcher.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7926 on: February 19, 2019, 06:37:29 PM »
Huh, I'd never heard of amber alerts. Having googled them, yes, I would be really pissed off if it overrode DND on my phone. DND would be on when I would not be in a position to do anything (eg. In my bedroom in the middle of the night) and I would presumably get it when I woke up.

I would love an emergency text alert system for floods or terrorist attacks that DID override DND, though. I don't think k we have anything like that over here.

Interesting. In the US you can do exactly this. In fact my phone has two settings one for Amber Alerts and one for "emergency Alerts" which includes Flash Floods, Tornados, Tsunamis, Civil emergency, shelter in place etc.

So for anyone in the US just turn off Amber alerts!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7927 on: February 19, 2019, 07:40:47 PM »
Stupid can overcome all preventative measures.
This should be embroidered on a pillow.

And the other side of the pillow should say "warning: do not place pillow in front of nose or mouth"

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7928 on: February 20, 2019, 12:51:59 PM »

Ha ha yes.  I was in the waiting room at urgent care late-ish one night.  It was a really long wait. I  was 6 months pregnant.  An elderly  man came in with chest pains.  At some point, the nice lady next to me grumbled that "you obviously should be seen soon!  They are making you wait so long!"  I held up my finger "I have a splinter stuck under my fingernail.  I can wait."

Similarly, my husband was taken right in at the ER past people waiting a long time...because of chest pains (he was fine).

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7929 on: February 20, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »
<snip>
Ha ha yes.  I was in the waiting room at urgent care late-ish one night.  It was a really long wait. I  was 6 months pregnant.  An elderly  man came in with chest pains.  At some point, the nice lady next to me grumbled that "you obviously should be seen soon!  They are making you wait so long!"  I held up my finger "I have a splinter stuck under my fingernail.  I can wait."

Similarly, my husband was taken right in at the ER past people waiting a long time...because of chest pains (he was fine).
I took my DH to the ER - Christmas eve, and he was apparently quite allergic to my parents' old dog.  Asthma to the point his fingernail beds were turning blue.  Walked in, mentioned he was having a hard time breathing, and the receptionist hollered "We have an S.O.B. out here!" and the response was immediate. 

I was a bit taken aback because I thought all this time he was such a nice guy ;-).

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7930 on: February 20, 2019, 03:31:58 PM »
I was a bit taken aback because I thought all this time he was such a nice guy ;-).

Well, now you know. Better late than never, I guess.  ;)

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7931 on: February 21, 2019, 04:00:23 PM »
<snip>

I took my DH to the ER - Christmas eve, and he was apparently quite allergic to my parents' old dog.  Asthma to the point his fingernail beds were turning blue.  Walked in, mentioned he was having a hard time breathing, and the receptionist hollered "We have an S.O.B. out here!" and the response was immediate. 

For anyone else that HAS to know what S.O.B. means in this context = Shortness of Breath....I had gone with S Obstructed Breathing and couldn't get the S.....And well, I HAD to know.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7932 on: February 22, 2019, 08:55:17 AM »
Thank you!

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7933 on: February 22, 2019, 02:11:19 PM »
<snip>

For anyone else that HAS to know what S.O.B. means in this context = Shortness of Breath....I had gone with S Obstructed Breathing and couldn't get the S.....And well, I HAD to know.

Hah!  I read S.O.B., went and googled it, and then came back to this thread and read your post.  I should have just stayed here!

bluebelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7934 on: February 22, 2019, 02:55:34 PM »
<snip>

Hah!  I read S.O.B., went and googled it, and then came back to this thread and read your post.  I should have just stayed here!
I'm glad I could provide a public service.....for all of the downfalls of social media, access to the world's knowledge at my fingertips, brightens my day.....maybe I should change my screen name to curious george....

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #7935 on: February 22, 2019, 03:31:49 PM »
<snip>

I'm glad I could provide a public service.....for all of the downfalls of social media, access to the world's knowledge at my fingertips, brightens my day.....maybe I should change my screen name to curious george....

I should change mine to S. O. B.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #7936 on: February 22, 2019, 11:33:09 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iAYhQsQhSY

And my brain keeps thinking about this song...

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #7937 on: February 27, 2019, 06:46:55 PM »
<snip>

ROTFL!  Love it.

I seriously damaged my fingers in a woodworking accident once.  I was sitting in the ER waiting room with my hand wrapped in a bloody towel.  They called another man who was also bleeding but not as bad.  He looked at me and said "You go first"  I was very grateful.

Another time my (now ex) DW was in getting a CAT scan for what turned out to be a severe liver infection.  Just as she was about to be scanned a car accident victim arrived and jumped the queue. They had a major displaced skull fracture.  Again I was very grateful.  It was appropriate rescheduling.

Too many people have an innapropriate sense of entitlement and believe that they are more important than anyone else.  This is just not true in trauma situations.

note: Both I and my ex recovered.  I don't know about the accident victim.  It looked pretty grim.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7938 on: March 03, 2019, 06:24:42 PM »
I'm trying to sell some brand new Levi's on Facebook marketplace, I had 2 pair that were 30 length and 2 pair that were 34 length.  The 30s sold right away, and like 6 more people wrote but were only interested in the 30s, and were super disappointed I only had the 34s left.  I'm selling them for ~1/4 of retail price and they still have all the stickers on them, it amazes me no one is willing or able to shorten the 34s to the right size themselves to get a great deal...

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #7939 on: March 03, 2019, 06:48:57 PM »
I'm trying to sell some brand new Levi's on Facebook marketplace, I had 2 pair that were 30 length and 2 pair that were 34 length.  The 30s sold right away, and like 6 more people wrote but were only interested in the 30s, and were super disappointed I only had the 34s left.  I'm selling them for ~1/4 of retail price and they still have all the stickers on them, it amazes me no one is willing or able to shorten the 34s to the right size themselves to get a great deal...

And yet you haven't done it to sell them, either.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7940 on: March 03, 2019, 07:37:07 PM »

It's a PITA to re-hem jeans in a way that makes them still look like a jeans hem. It's not as easy as it sounds.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7941 on: March 03, 2019, 08:34:58 PM »

I'm not going to alter brand new jeans, then they won't be brand new and I'd be lucky to sell them at all.  Plus, it's Facebook marketplace, a dozen people will say they will buy something and then back out before someone finally shows up, I don't want to alter something for someone who may or may not actually show up and pay. 

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #7942 on: March 04, 2019, 12:39:23 AM »
<snip>

I had a similar experience once. I went to my primary doctor after experiencing heart palpitations for nearly a week. She wouldn't give me a referral to a cardiologist, she insisted I go to the ER, which kind of pissed me off, so I walked across the street to the hospital. As I approached the ER, a car raced up to the door, and a young man got out, ran around the car, and opened the door for an older woman, who seemed to be in distress. I stepped aside so she go through the ER doors ahead of me. I checked in after her, then sat in the waiting room. I was surprised to be called in quickly, ahead of every one else. I asked the triage nurse why I'd been called in first and she said it was because my problem involved the heart. I then asked about the other woman who seemed to be in such distress. She smiled, leaned over and whispered, "Drama does not equal trauma."

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7943 on: March 04, 2019, 04:56:30 PM »
Speaking of doctors and health care.  I use to amuse myself by telling either a new primary care physician or an ER doctor about my last EKG at age 25 or whatever.  They started to freak out because it's not normal for someone young to get an EKG.  Unless they are in a job like Law Enforcement where everybody gets an EKG of course.  I guess now I'll refer to last years stress test.  (At age 40 the technician let the intern run me as her first ever EKG)

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7944 on: March 05, 2019, 11:17:18 AM »

I'm not going to alter brand new jeans, then they won't be brand new and I'd be lucky to sell them at all.  Plus, it's Facebook marketplace, a dozen people will say they will buy something and then back out before someone finally shows up, I don't want to alter something for someone who may or may not actually show up and pay.

What is the waist size on your jeans? I wear a 36, would be interested if that's what they are! ;)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7945 on: March 08, 2019, 04:47:15 AM »
I ran across this gem this morning.

This makes the tax geek in me cringe.  I did enjoy pointing out how this hypothetical family would likely get more back in refundable CTCs than they paid in ($52k/year MFJ - $24k standard deduction = $28k taxable income  --> $2982 tax plus two CTCs that are at least partially refundable). 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7946 on: March 08, 2019, 06:14:30 AM »

It's a PITA to re-hem jeans in a way that makes them still look like a jeans hem. It's not as easy as it sounds.

This is like the ONLY alteration I'm willing to do.  But I wouldn't do it to sell stuff on facebook.
(Way easier than hemming a trouser that needs a high/low hem for men's shoes.)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7947 on: March 08, 2019, 06:29:42 AM »

<snippedtosavedearreadersvaluablebandwidth>

This makes the tax geek in me cringe.  I did enjoy pointing out how this hypothetical family would likely get more back in refundable CTCs than they paid in ($52k/year MFJ - $24k standard deduction = $28k taxable income  --> $2982 tax plus two CTCs that are at least partially refundable).

I stopped reading at "Most Alabam...". But just to verify that it would be stupid, I had to read it. Because if it's on them internets it must be gospel truths.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 06:39:06 AM by jinga nation »

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #7948 on: March 08, 2019, 06:33:07 AM »

snippety snip

OK, so my salary is about 3500 gross per month (just above mean for a family), assume I make 4k per month to make a reasonable comparrison. My "usage" is the same, tax is localised.

Salary 1k per week: 23% tax (first 8k per year (about) is tax-free, after that it's bracketed where I average at 23%) = 230
Groceries (assuming food only, so no Coca Cola etc): 9% tax = 18 (in reality, anything not meat or vegetable is 21% VAT)
Gas (VAT and other taxes): 63% = 249,48 (assuming 1 gallon = 4 liters, at 1.65 per liter petrol current price for 2 cars)

So, most heavily taxed country? Don't make me cringe! And I know that several scandinavian countries are taxed a lot heavier than we are. Norway too I believe, @Linda_Norway?

But my car is also taxed seperately, just for sitting still on the road (weight-bracketed, I have a small 1200kg mid-class) so another 50 per month (times 2 if you have 2 cars, of course). We also pay 21% VAT on elektric, water and other utilities. My house, property and sewer usage is also taxed. They want to tax the overproduction of my solar panels too.

The list, of course, goes on...

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7949 on: March 08, 2019, 07:05:55 AM »

<snippedtosavedearreadersvaluablebandwidth>

I stopped reading at "Most Alabam...". But just to verify that it would be stupid, I had to read it. Because if it's on them internets it must be gospel truths.

I promise that we aren't all that stupid.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!