Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082496 times)

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6250 on: April 10, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »
Apparently it is completely normal (and expected) where I live to spend 15 hours a week in your car, driving back and forth to work.

What else ya got to do? Gotta pass the time somehow! Age 65 is far away.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:07:04 PM by cheapass »

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6251 on: April 10, 2017, 10:57:38 AM »
You are not suck in traffic, you are traffic.

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6252 on: April 10, 2017, 10:07:36 PM »
A FB acquaintance just posted about how one of her children came close to death recently because she (the mother) wanted to save money by not spending $150 on a medical procedure her child needed.

It might sound like just misguided or excessive frugality on her part. However, I know from her other posts that she and her family eat out frequently and waste tons of money on crazy and expensive hobbies.

After this scary incident, she was weeping and wailing about the $150. I knew it wouldn't go down well, so said nothing, but I thought, "If you made your meals at home for a week or two or stopped buying ridiculous amounts of unnecessary doodads, you'd have the money in no time."

englyn

• Bristles
« Reply #6253 on: April 11, 2017, 12:53:24 AM »
Ok, it's an advert, but one of my friends did Like it:

"Join the Waggly Club and get your monthly dog subscription box delivered straight to the door. Full of dog treats and toys for your dog"

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #6254 on: April 11, 2017, 06:32:31 AM »
A FB acquaintance just posted about how one of her children came close to death recently because she (the mother) wanted to save money by not spending $150 on a medical procedure her child needed.

It might sound like just misguided or excessive frugality on her part. However, I know from her other posts that she and her family eat out frequently and waste tons of money on crazy and expensive hobbies.

After this scary incident, she was weeping and wailing about the $150. I knew it wouldn't go down well, so said nothing, but I thought, "If you made your meals at home for a week or two or stopped buying ridiculous amounts of unnecessary doodads, you'd have the money in no time."

Sounds like my SIL.  One month after she had no emergency funds and had to evacuate a rental due to mold being found, she's whining about how she can't buy a house, her childhood was so hard (from my wife's perspective it DID suck) and she doesn't want her kid to have a "hard" life (meaning: not getting all of the wonderful material goods she didn't get); the basic woe is me spiel.  She whines about it on instagram (and presumably Facebook - my wife doesn't know since she deleted her account years ago) until some "friends" chip in to get her a gift basket of goodies for her child.  The next month she is staying at a Disneyworld resort.

These so-called "cries for help" get old fast, also the constant acceptance and benefitting off of EOC while simultaneously bitching about those that provided the EOC or simply accepting gifts from others in perpetuity while always, ALWAYS, finding money to go on vacations and spend frivolously.

P.s. This is from someone who is a nurse that made a good salary at the time (on par with what I made) in a fairly decent COL area (Atlanta suburbs).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 08:48:04 AM by sw1tch »

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6255 on: April 11, 2017, 08:03:26 AM »
Anymore when I read a "woe is me" financial soap opera I just expect Disney to be in the story somewhere. ;)

As if there is no other destination for people to idolize. Me? I like a shady porch with something cold (or hot depending on the season) in my hand. Fortunately that is just ten feet away. Seriously, we like a vacation but we're not going broke to vacation.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6256 on: April 11, 2017, 02:19:33 PM »
Anymore when I read a "woe is me" financial soap opera I just expect Disney to be in the story somewhere. ;)

As if there is no other destination for people to idolize. Me? I like a shady porch with something cold (or hot depending on the season) in my hand. Fortunately that is just ten feet away. Seriously, we like a vacation but we're not going broke to vacation.

Not FB, but related (tangent? LOL). DW's former boss isn't in financial trouble, as far as I know, but her company is (probably because she "needs" to pay herself so much). Last fall/winter she regretfully informed everyone that despite their hard work it had been a hard year for the company and nobody could get raises... then not only took her underemployed children and their children to Disney World for a week, but came back and wanted to tell everyone all about it in the next staff meeting. It's a bit tone-deaf, to say the least, and rumor is she's made the same hardship claim in the past while collecting huge bonuses.
7-series BMW, golf-course home (completely torn apart and rebuilt @ six-figure cost), etc... late 60s, still can't retire and instead of cutting costs and reinvesting in better talent, has now hired a high-priced biz-dev consultant to pump the co. for a better sale price. We'll probably never see the money she has, but we'll be retired first at this rate... xD

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6257 on: April 11, 2017, 02:43:03 PM »
I worked for one of those tone-deaf people back in college. It was good motivation to graduate.

Watching people demonstrate tone-deafness (love the term) is amazing to witness...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6258 on: April 11, 2017, 05:03:14 PM »
I remember a story about a depression era blue collar fellow on a tight budget. He would brew a pot of coffee (percolator pot on the stove) on Mon morn and drink some of it. The next day he would add a spoonful of new grounds to yesterday's grounds and add some water. Repeat all week.

I read about a private who did that for his US Army battalion on an exercise down in Panama.

(Except they poured hot water into a canvas bag that had the coffee grounds in it.)

The whole battalion got seriously ill...

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #6259 on: April 11, 2017, 06:09:30 PM »
This is my mistake for actually commenting on Facebook.  We live in a county that is AT LEAST 40 miles from the I85 collapse (we are west of Atlanta).  Someone posted on our county board to be careful with traffic Monday morning, as Atlanta traffic is predicted to be somewhere between Walking Dead and Snowmageddon.

I stupidly commented that if you had to drive past I85 to get to work, your commute is too long and maybe you should think about moving. I got a TON of replies.  Most of them are the houses are cheap here (they are), and an hour in the car isn't so bad.  I am fairly sure it takes about 90 minutes to drive from where I live to get to downtown Atlanta, and that's on a regular day.  I haven't commented back, but I really want to say YOU ARE THE REASON THE TRAFFIC IS SO BAD HERE!!!

Fortunately for me, I don't have a commute.  Probably best if I don't try to participate in this conversation again.  Not a single person agreed with me.  Apparently it is completely normal (and expected) where I live to spend 15 hours a week in your car, driving back and forth to work.
We live in a suburb north of the gaping hole, and even before that, it would've taken most people 1+ hrs to get to work.There are people who live 40, 50, even 60 miles north of the city who commute in. I really do not understand it. Is having a McMansion you never get to spend time in really worth it?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:40:32 AM by VeggieTable »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6260 on: April 11, 2017, 07:16:19 PM »
Atlanta is a disaster and an insult to everything MMM stands for. When WW3 comes, I hope it goes first.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6261 on: April 12, 2017, 04:29:21 AM »

"Join the Waggly Club and get your monthly dog subscription box delivered straight to the door. Full of dog treats and toys for your dog"

These are less common here in Australia, so I suggested my friend (who has a budding pet-related business) take it on.

As a consumer, she was horrified. As a small business owner, she was very interested!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6262 on: April 12, 2017, 06:37:47 AM »

Although I still make him t shirt toys to rip apart, we LOVE BarkBox.  It's a way better value than buying toys for the dog individually, even discounting the excellent quality treats. And keeping him entertained has saved our woodwork and furniture. 

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6263 on: April 12, 2017, 07:00:41 AM »
There are cat subscription boxes too. Half of it is stuff for your cat, the other half is cat related jewelry and such.

I think cats know when you buy something for them specifically, because they ignore it completely. My cat only plays with stuff like packaging materials, a plastic fork, or a paper bag.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6264 on: April 12, 2017, 07:16:03 AM »
Atlanta is a disaster and an insult to everything MMM stands for. When WW3 comes, I hope it goes first.

Thank you for reminding me of this old Onion article: http://www.theonion.com/article/civil-war-enthusiasts-burn-atlanta-to-ground-1109

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6265 on: April 12, 2017, 07:23:53 AM »
There are cat subscription boxes too. Half of it is stuff for your cat, the other half is cat related jewelry and such.

I think cats know when you buy something for them specifically, because they ignore it completely. My cat only plays with stuff like packaging materials, a plastic fork, or a paper bag.

Kind of like our kids when they were younger... The toy is good but the box - now that has possibilities!!!

VeggieTable

• Stubble
« Reply #6266 on: April 12, 2017, 11:38:16 AM »
Yup, pretty accurate. We live in a nice, fairly walkable suburb and I ride my bike as much as possible. But since it's metro Atlanta and I don't want to die, my options are fairly limited. The tide seems to be turning towards making towns more walking/biking friendly, but it's definitely for show and not for actual functionality.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6267 on: April 13, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »
Seriously, we like a vacation but we're not going broke to vacation.

So true.  It's amazing how many people don't understand this concept.  When my little sister was 18 she went with her boyfriend and his family on vacation in Florida.  They drove from Ohio, spent a week in Florida, and then a few hours into their drive back home their car broke down.  My mom called me panicking because apparently every single person on that trip had spent every dime they had to their name while on vacation and no one had any money to fix the car or get back home.  They were all calling everyone they knew to try and get enough money sent to them so they could fix the car and get home.  I couldn't believe they were even in that situation.  Craziness!

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6268 on: April 13, 2017, 09:04:35 AM »
Seriously, we like a vacation but we're not going broke to vacation.

So true.  It's amazing how many people don't understand this concept.  When my little sister was 18 she went with her boyfriend and his family on vacation in Florida.  They drove from Ohio, spent a week in Florida, and then a few hours into their drive back home their car broke down.  My mom called me panicking because apparently every single person on that trip had spent every dime they had to their name while on vacation and no one had any money to fix the car or get back home.  They were all calling everyone they knew to try and get enough money sent to them so they could fix the car and get home.  I couldn't believe they were even in that situation.  Craziness!

It's not that rare unfortunately. One of the habits I'm trying to train out of my daughter is spending every available cent and then withdrawing money from savings while she's out gallivanting, just to keep the party going a little bit longer. I foresee, for her, the exact kind of crisis you described one day because she just can't keep her hands off the emergency savings.

I think that for some people hedonic adaptation kicks in almost immediately, so that the treat they bought (or had given to them) for a special occasion becomes something they "need" just to feel normal. It does appear to run in families and the problem has been so intractable with my daughter that I'm starting to wonder whether there's a biochemical component. I'm looking at other things that appear to correlate.

For my data set, if you wouldn't mind: in the family that spent itself broke while on vacation, did you notice a great deal of addiction also?

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6269 on: April 13, 2017, 09:14:04 AM »
It's not that rare unfortunately. One of the habits I'm trying to train out of my daughter is spending every available cent and then withdrawing money from savings while she's out gallivanting, just to keep the party going a little bit longer. I foresee, for her, the exact kind of crisis you described one day because she just can't keep her hands off the emergency savings.

I think that for some people hedonic adaptation kicks in almost immediately, so that the treat they bought (or had given to them) for a special occasion becomes something they "need" just to feel normal. It does appear to run in families and the problem has been so intractable with my daughter that I'm starting to wonder whether there's a biochemical component. I'm looking at other things that appear to correlate.

I agree that there seems to be a "nature" component (as opposed to "nurture") in how people handle delayed gratification and the hedonic treadmill. My brother and I grew up in the same house, watching and learning from thrifty working-class parents. By the time he was ten years old and collecting an allowance, my mother made him write down everything he spent money on because it seemed to evaporate out of his pockets as soon as he left the house. He's still like that. I went the other way - I'm pretty sure that my First Communion money is still in my bank account.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6270 on: April 13, 2017, 09:34:48 AM »
For my data set, if you wouldn't mind: in the family that spent itself broke while on vacation, did you notice a great deal of addiction also?

I can add to your dataset. Similar broke vacation situation, 3 people. #1 is an alcoholic & chain smokes, #2 has a house with WAY too much stuff and an apparent inability to get rid of it (but clean), and #3 smokes pot and I strongly suspect something else that isn't a candidate for legalization.

#1 and 3 are 1st cousins, 2 is a long time friend.From what I've heard 1 & 3 have quite a shit show of a family, with drugs, alcohol, and various petty theft. #2's immediate family has hoarding issues, extended seems normal. All three have a general "the world owes me because I'm specialllllllllllll" attitude and are generally rude and unlikable.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6271 on: April 13, 2017, 12:29:50 PM »

I'm not sure about the boyfriend's family but with boyfriend: yes.  He is (thankfully) now and ex and addicted to nicotine and pain pills.  My sister is also addicted to nicotine and it may not be an addiction but she smokes weed every day as well. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6272 on: April 13, 2017, 01:23:17 PM »
I saw a friend from high school post a video about a summer camp for adults. I looked it up, apparently it was featured on Shark Tank and is a 3 day inclusive camp and rates are about $600 for it. I don't know if there are extras that are charged or what level of booze is provided (open bar at night), but it seems kinda silly...or perhaps brilliant?

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6273 on: April 13, 2017, 01:33:05 PM »
I saw a friend from high school post a video about a summer camp for adults. I looked it up, apparently it was featured on Shark Tank and is a 3 day inclusive camp and rates are about $600 for it. I don't know if there are extras that are charged or what level of booze is provided (open bar at night), but it seems kinda silly...or perhaps brilliant?

I think it sounds fun.  I'm leaning more "brilliant" than "silly".  $600 is reasonable for an all-inclusive 3 days anywhere.  The best deals you get in Mexico for a decent place are ~$1k for 5 or 6 nights. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #6274 on: April 13, 2017, 01:34:24 PM »

There's an actual 4-day rock and roll fantasy camp where they get performing artists from bands that have either broken up or stopped touring, and campers pay to come and jam out. The 4-day camp culminates in a live performance with these older celebrities who are looking to still make a buck through music. No telling what it costs, but I suppose being able to say: "Yeah, I played live with Judas Priest once" might carry bragging rights somewhere. Or not.

I'm not sure what it costs.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
    • My Casa Caoba: Making meaning in Mexico
« Reply #6275 on: April 13, 2017, 02:06:46 PM »
I never understood the desire to go on vacation and feel like shit all day by drinking at all three meals.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6276 on: April 14, 2017, 01:37:00 AM »
I never understood the desire to go on vacation and feel like shit all day by drinking at all three meals.

I acknowledge that this is right for you. I never understood the desire to go on vacation and not have a drink when the opportunity presents itself.

farfromfire

• Stubble
« Reply #6277 on: April 14, 2017, 03:58:59 AM »

I acknowledge that this is right for you. I never understood the desire to go on vacation and not have a drink when the opportunity presents itself.
+1

not everyone feels like shit when daydrinking - it's one of the perks I most look forward to come FIRE.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6278 on: April 16, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »

+1

not everyone feels like shit when daydrinking - it's one of the perks I most look forward to come FIRE.

ha ha. I stand corrected. Fair enough.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #6279 on: April 17, 2017, 10:57:06 AM »

^^^this.
It wouldn't be so popular if it felt shitty for everyone. When I'm not juggling all these damn jobs, I have been known to pace myself and enjoy a mild buzz all day long - as long as it's in a safe, conducive environment.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6280 on: April 17, 2017, 11:07:31 AM »

^^^this.
It wouldn't be so popular if it felt shitty for everyone. When I'm not juggling all these damn jobs, I have been known to pace myself and enjoy a mild buzz all day long - as long as it's in a safe, conducive environment.
The Ballmer Peak is very real, at least for me.

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #6281 on: April 17, 2017, 07:39:42 PM »
I finally have something to add!

Granted, it might not really count.  This is a friend of mine who has a decent job and had paid off $100k in student loans in 10 years.  Granted, she has another $100k to go, which is a sick amount of debt for her job.  She says she wishes that she just let it go and spent the $100k on travel and wasted it.

I'll let you all draw your own conclusions.  I really like this person, and I get her frustration.  But, the problem isn't the government or the IRS.  It's that she ran up $200k in debt going to college.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 07:42:13 PM by FIT_Goat »

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6282 on: April 17, 2017, 07:50:05 PM »
A college that didn't teach her the meaning of the word sarcasm, apparently.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6283 on: April 18, 2017, 12:32:26 AM »
We keep a kitchen thermometer around for checking the water temp for our coffee (if you're doing it the French press or cowboy method.) Ideal water temp is between 198-202 degrees. The machines can be so variable.
Thanks for the tip! I just give my boiling water 30 or 40 seconds to cool down but now I'll try measuring and see what I'm dealing with.
A few Christmases ago, I got a multi-temperature kettle from my parents. It does 70, 80, 90 and 100 and is totally awesome.

I'll never understand why people in Europe drink their coffee and tea so cold!

Europe has the metric system, not cold coffee.

That's funny, I don't recall hearing about that Liberian that walked on the moon....

It's also funny because NASA is now using the metric system. :P

I wish the US would switch. It'd be a painful transition but the end result would be far superior.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6284 on: April 18, 2017, 01:00:01 AM »

Granted, it might not really count.  This is a friend of mine who has a decent job and had paid off $100k in student loans in 10 years.  Granted, she has another $100k to go, which is a sick amount of debt for her job.  She says she wishes that she just let it go and spent the $100k on travel and wasted it.

I'll let you all draw your own conclusions.  I really like this person, and I get her frustration.  But, the problem isn't the government or the IRS.  It's that she ran up $200k in debt going to college.

No reward?

I presume she has a degree (fucking hope so after spending $200k). That's your reward, princess!

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6285 on: April 18, 2017, 06:23:50 AM »

No reward?

I presume she has a degree (fucking hope so after spending $200k). That's your reward, princess!

I'm really sick of hearing how the poor have it so good. That's bullshit and everyone knows it. If it was so awesome to be an unemployed single mother of 12, why not do it yourself?

Also, the fact that you're not getting a tax refund is a GOOD THING. It means you didn't give the government a no-interest loan. It means you got your withholding right.

And she's getting the benefit of above-the-line deductibility of student loan interest. No other debt gets that benefit.

Cry me a freaking river.

LadyStache in Baja

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6286 on: April 18, 2017, 07:09:16 AM »
So she doesn't know how withholdings and refunds work, great. Not sure if that's the message she was trying to send, but she sent it!

FIT_Goat

• Stubble
« Reply #6287 on: April 18, 2017, 07:59:42 AM »
A college that didn't teach her the meaning of the word sarcasm, apparently.

Here is a response from another friend, who went to the same college. Proof sarcasm was taught. The OP just didn't learn it.

She (OP) had an engineering degree and high-paying job to go with it. I have no idea why she can't figure out her own taxes or reason well enough to understand withholdings and stuff. She isn't stupid. At least not normally.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6288 on: April 18, 2017, 08:22:23 AM »
Never considered attending one of the state universities for vastly less money than $200K? Is her fancy pants alama mater degree helping her rake in a mega-salary?

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6289 on: April 18, 2017, 11:51:42 AM »

Why do I find this so very funny --is it that there truth in it -- e.g., people that would buy a cat subscription are the ones most likely to want cat jewelry and swag?

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6290 on: April 18, 2017, 12:42:05 PM »

Why do I find this so very funny --is it that there truth in it -- e.g., people that would buy a cat subscription are the ones most likely to want cat jewelry and swag?
Cat only wants to play with the box anyway...

ariapluscat

• Bristles
« Reply #6291 on: April 18, 2017, 01:19:10 PM »

yeah i had the crazy cat lady box for 3 months. the treats for the cats are pretty good. my cats wrecked the new years toys. one was like a champagne bottle shaped catnip toy with curled ribbons - that was the most exciting week of their lives when they first got it. i can't wait to rotate it back into their floor toys later.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #6292 on: April 19, 2017, 07:45:41 AM »
I guess by posting this it makes me the judgey friend, but in my defense I dont have kids either.

Pretty sure the person posting also has no savings in addition to their crap.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6293 on: April 19, 2017, 08:31:40 AM »
that's funny.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6294 on: April 19, 2017, 10:53:27 PM »
Saw this today.  [jaw drop]

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6295 on: April 23, 2017, 01:22:58 AM »
I guess by posting this it makes me the judgey friend, but in my defense I dont have kids either.

Another comic I saw posted on facebook today that's along the same lines.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6296 on: April 25, 2017, 10:37:37 PM »
ahhh omg that's the best thing I have seen all week! lmao!

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6297 on: April 26, 2017, 04:29:04 AM »

I don't get how her the last braggy reply really flows into that thread but maybe she just wanted to mention her two fulllllllllly furnished houses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #6298 on: April 26, 2017, 08:31:05 AM »

I don't get how her the last braggy reply really flows into that thread but maybe she just wanted to mention her two fulllllllllly furnished houses?

I always find it amusing when people brag about their material possessions on social media. Funny, nobody ever posts their credit card bills or 401K statements though.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6299 on: April 26, 2017, 09:33:58 AM »
I always find it amusing when people brag about their material possessions on social media

Can I take a detour to brag about my lack of material possessions? :) I am posting stuff on Craigslist to prepare for an upcoming move and sold my couch set last weekend. I have all of this empty space in the house where a couch and loveseat used to sit and it feels so freeing! I can't wait to sell the guest bed and mattress, space heater, and my old bike. Wheeeeee

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!