Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082272 times)

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #6100 on: March 01, 2017, 08:10:01 AM »
Someone was chatting about pickups the other day and mentioned 4Runners and Tacoma four door pickups. I like these vehicles. Would fit our family's needs.

I was blown away by what a 50K mile truck still costs. Even a 150K mile truck costs alot of money! I know they last a long time but I'm not paying that kind of money for that number of miles.

I climbed into my moustachian-mobile for the drive home and said some nice things to that old car.

Last year i saw someone post on Facebook a 2004 Toyota 4Runner with 150,000km for $20k (CDN).  I doubt they got that much, most 4Runners of that age i've seen are listed for less, but i'd still rather take the 12 year old Toyota for $20k over the 2010 GMC for the same money, lol.

The used automobile market has experienced some price elevation in recent years. For example, at the time when I bought an 10-year old Toyota Corolla S with 250,000 km it's book value was 10K. I've heard some people explain this was caused by Cash For Clunkers draining the bottom of the used car market and we're still 'recovering' from it.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6101 on: March 01, 2017, 09:23:13 AM »
The used automobile market has experienced some price elevation in recent years. For example, at the time when I bought an 10-year old Toyota Corolla S with 250,000 km it's book value was 10K. I've heard some people explain this was caused by Cash For Clunkers draining the bottom of the used car market and we're still 'recovering' from it.
I'd like to think that, too (since I think CfC was a terrible idea), but US new car sales are about 7 million/year and CfC only handled about 700,000 cars total.  So since CfC started, there have been 80x more new cars sold than were shredded through CfC.

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6102 on: March 01, 2017, 09:31:23 AM »
I'd like to think that, too (since I think CfC was a terrible idea), but US new car sales are about 7 million/year and CfC only handled about 700,000 cars total.  So since CfC started, there have been 80x more new cars sold than were shredded through CfC.

New car sales were 17.5MM last year.  I think you missed adding a "1" in front of your "7".

This just adds to your case, but I wanted to comment for emphasis.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6103 on: March 01, 2017, 09:53:59 AM »

New car sales were 17.5MM last year.  I think you missed adding a "1" in front of your "7".

This just adds to your case, but I wanted to comment for emphasis.
Wow, my reference was way off.  Ok, then, there have been about 200x more new cars sold since CfC than were crushed in CfC

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6104 on: March 01, 2017, 03:13:15 PM »
Saw a good one today on one of the for sale pages:

"2010 GMC Yukon Denali XL
$22,000

Heated first and second row seats, heated steering wheel, OnStar, navigation, Sirius XM, back up camera, rear wireless DVD system, moonroof. Fully loaded excellent condition 125,000. Only selling because the kids are growing up."

Yeesh. $22k for an 8 year old SUV with 125k miles on it! Granted I know these things sell for $65-$70k (how, I don't know), but holy crap. I crept on the woman's page and could tell that her and her family were the poster children for conspicuous consumption. On the bright side, they did drive it for eight years...

IDK, last year I got $9700 trade in for a 2009 Ford Expedition basic package (nothing fancy at all) with 80,000 miles.  I was shocked.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6105 on: March 01, 2017, 09:40:54 PM »
A classmate from high school wrote on Facebook today

"Just keep winning free play on our lotto tickets (frowny face), I'd be happy with hundred thou and be out of debt.  Some day I'll win big (smiley face)"

Doubt it.  (Face palm face)

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6106 on: March 02, 2017, 06:07:35 AM »

"Just keep winning free play on our lotto tickets (frowny face), I'd be happy with hundred thou and be out of debt.  Some day I'll win big (smiley face)"

Along those lines, my wife had a patient who told her he was in dire straits (not the band) because of his scratch-off lottery ticket habit. He operates a food truck, and makes between $400 and $800 a day. He keeps $100 for expenses each day, and spends the rest on scratch-off tickets. Yep, up to $700 a day.

He said his wife is ready to leave him, he owes money up the wazoo, and he doesn't know what to do. Hmm.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6107 on: March 02, 2017, 06:11:45 AM »

$22,000

Heated first and second row seats, heated steering wheel, OnStar, navigation, Sirius XM, back up camera, rear wireless DVD system, moonroof. Fully loaded excellent condition 125,000. Only selling because the kids are growing up."

Yeesh. $22k for an 8 year old SUV with 125k miles on it! Granted I know these things sell for $65-$70k (how, I don't know), but holy crap. I crept on the woman's page and could tell that her and her family were the poster children for conspicuous consumption. On the bright side, they did drive it for eight years...

IDK, last year I got $9700 trade in for a 2009 Ford Expedition basic package (nothing fancy at all) with 80,000 miles.  I was shocked.

Did you trade it in for a new car? A lot of times dealers will offer "more" for the trade-in while increasing the base price of the new car, or the loan term, etc to make up for the higher trade in. Psychologically you are shocked that you are getting so much for your trade-in, so you're more likely to buy that new car or even get a car more expensive than you planned to originally.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6108 on: March 02, 2017, 07:22:33 AM »

Tell them to buy out-of-the-money call options on biotech stocks instead.  It's a better risk-reward profile.

When I first met my wife, she would very occasionally play the lottery.  Every time she got the desire, I just suggested the call-option idea instead.  After thinking through both and a little mental arithmetic, the lottery didn't sound like such a good bet anymore.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6109 on: March 02, 2017, 07:27:38 AM »

Tell them to buy out-of-the-money call options on biotech stocks instead.  It's a better risk-reward profile.

When I first met my wife, she would very occasionally play the lottery.  Every time she got the desire, I just suggested the call-option idea instead.  After thinking through both and a little mental arithmetic, the lottery didn't sound like such a good bet anymore.

Haha, I love this.  I can image the response in my head "but I don't know about the odds on biotech stock? Sounds like I could loose a lot of mon... wait, oh...."

letthelightin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6110 on: March 02, 2017, 09:27:06 AM »
3 more weeks on taxes irs said. Wtf
Anyone else have this issue?!?!
#screwed

The hashtag is what really got me on this one.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6111 on: March 02, 2017, 09:34:10 AM »

$22,000

Did you trade it in for a new car? A lot of times dealers will offer "more" for the trade-in while increasing the base price of the new car, or the loan term, etc to make up for the higher trade in. Psychologically you are shocked that you are getting so much for your trade-in, so you're more likely to buy that new car or even get a car more expensive than you planned to originally.

I bought a used car from CarMax and paid cash.  The Kelly Blue book offer was better than theirs for the trade in so that was what they gave me.  They would have bought my car whether or not I bought theirs.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 09:36:43 AM by BFGirl »

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6112 on: March 02, 2017, 12:13:52 PM »
3 more weeks on taxes irs said. Wtf
Anyone else have this issue?!?!
#screwed

The hashtag is what really got me on this one.

I would love to respond.  I just got the info on my taxes, The IRS can wait until 4/17 to get more money from me.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6113 on: March 02, 2017, 12:37:56 PM »

How does this work?  I enjoy playing the lotto occasionally... it costs me like $2-5/year.  Can I get options that cheaply?

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6114 on: March 04, 2017, 12:12:35 AM »
If this even sells for what they're listing for, that's a $1450 loss for a 5-month old couch that was "barely sat on". Maybe more if it was on credit?

Why did you buy it if it was barely sat on...
Maybe they mean that although they sat on it every day, they only sat on the very edge?

All they watch are suspense movies so they only need the edge of their seat.
I can think of several other things to do with a couch that does not involve sitting on it very much.

We've all been assuming that in "barely sat on" the barely means hardly rather than nakedly.

Just sayin'.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #6115 on: March 06, 2017, 04:14:52 AM »
If this even sells for what they're listing for, that's a $1450 loss for a 5-month old couch that was "barely sat on". Maybe more if it was on credit?

Why did you buy it if it was barely sat on...
Maybe they mean that although they sat on it every day, they only sat on the very edge?

All they watch are suspense movies so they only need the edge of their seat.
I can think of several other things to do with a couch that does not involve sitting on it very much.

We've all been assuming that in "barely sat on" the barely means hardly rather than nakedly.

Just sayin'.
I strive not to make such assumptions. :D

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6116 on: March 06, 2017, 06:00:52 AM »
Someone please tell me this isn't the norm. I have no idea how much brand new baby clothes cost, anyone have an estimate of how much this cost them (or the gift givers)?

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6117 on: March 06, 2017, 06:10:28 AM »
Someone please tell me this isn't the norm. I have no idea how much brand new baby clothes cost, anyone have an estimate of how much this cost them (or the gift givers)?

Wow, 115 pcs of 0-3mo clothing!?  My son barely fit in 3mo when he was born, so I can't imagine they used every piece of that.

About the cost, you can safely assume $5/pc average.  So, $575 is a good estimate. 

So, yeah, we've saved everything from my Son, and have it stored in totes in his closet.  Baby #2, if he/she ever comes along, will be all set for the most part :).

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6118 on: March 06, 2017, 06:51:32 AM »

Wow, 115 pcs of 0-3mo clothing!?  My son barely fit in 3mo when he was born, so I can't imagine they used every piece of that.

About the cost, you can safely assume $5/pc average.  So, $575 is a good estimate. 

So, yeah, we've saved everything from my Son, and have it stored in totes in his closet.  Baby #2, if he/she ever comes along, will be all set for the most part :).

Yeah, even at the ARC, secondhand baby clothes are >$1/piece, unless you find some killer deals on "50% off 4 tag colors" day.  I was at Babies R Us yesterday buying some more supplies for storing breast milk, and some of the name-brand clothing "sets" that included a onesie, long-sleeved top, and pair of pants were $40.  So...$100 is actually a pretty amazing deal for the buyer.  Like Vindicated said, though, our kid fit in newborn stuff when he was born, and he STILL only fit into 0-3 mo stuff for like 2 months.  That's an awful lot of clothes.  0-3 month stuff is SO CUTE AND TINY!!!!!!!!!! I bet they got a lot of gifts because people can't resist buying the littlest cardigan they've ever seen :)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6119 on: March 06, 2017, 07:22:12 AM »

I've purchased most of my clothes in used lots (like this), so I have 70 pieces of NB-3 months (which is 2 sizes, NB and 0-3 months).  My average per piece is a quarter. I won't spend more than a dollar per piece.

This lot is actually a decent deal, though way more than anyone needs.  But it's hard to resist, and honestly- for many people the price of the lot will be such a good deal it would be worth buying even if half of it doesn't get touched. They can easily recoup the cost selling it themselves.

I've seen people on baby center have 100+ people at their baby showers though; and my baby shower (um, 8 people) came with near zero gift receipts, so Mom might have had no "choice" but to keep them.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:24:19 AM by iowajes »

Vindicated

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6120 on: March 06, 2017, 07:29:01 AM »
I've seen people on baby center have 100+ people at their baby showers though; and my baby shower (um, 8 people) came with near zero gift receipts, so Mom might have had no "choice" but to keep them.

I also recommend the Dad organize a "Diaper Party" with his friends.  We got enough diapers to last most of the first year going this route.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #6121 on: March 06, 2017, 07:43:18 AM »
We prob used 80%-90% hand me downs for the first 5-6 years of both our kids' lives. I'd guess before we lost track of the clothes 6-7 families made use of them with a few that wore out or became too stained by food accidents.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6122 on: March 06, 2017, 08:07:12 AM »

I would say that is pretty much the norm.  Like others have said, that is a good price if you were to purchase them all.  Its hard to find them for less than $1 at the consignment store my wife and I use.  And the number of items and being only worn once is pretty common as well.  People receive a lot as gifts.  There have been several times when we were changing out our sons clothes in his dresser that we found items that were at the back of the drawer that were never worn but are now too small.

dividend

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6123 on: March 06, 2017, 08:19:02 AM »
Friend checks in a local new/used Honda dealership, with a picture of a new HR-V.

Came in for an oil change, but ended up driving away with a brand new car.

Gems from her in the comments include :

Apparently they really wanted my Accord because it's in high demand. Payments stay the same, so it was hard to say no.  For having it less than 2 years it was certainly desirable for re-sale. I'm kinda glad I take care of my cars now

I know it was completely unexpected. But trust me, I had plenty of questions and made sure they understood that I was disappointed in the previous buying experience I had with them. They made sure that I got a fair deal with no changes to my payments.

The comments from other people are all positive - Awesome!  Congrats!  Nice!  Maybe I should go in for an oil change now!  Good things like that don't happen to me!  And my favorite - You don't make poor choices. 

I can't even.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6124 on: March 06, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »

I've purchased most of my clothes in used lots (like this), so I have 70 pieces of NB-3 months (which is 2 sizes, NB and 0-3 months).  My average per piece is a quarter. I won't spend more than a dollar per piece.

This lot is actually a decent deal, though way more than anyone needs.  But it's hard to resist, and honestly- for many people the price of the lot will be such a good deal it would be worth buying even if half of it doesn't get touched. They can easily recoup the cost selling it themselves.

OP, have you considered that the FB poster may have herself bought the lot like this from someone, used a quarter of it, then is now reselling it to make her money back? If that's the case, I would actually consider it to be a pretty Mustachian way to go.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6125 on: March 06, 2017, 10:31:43 AM »

OP, have you considered that the FB poster may have herself bought the lot like this from someone, used a quarter of it, then is now reselling it to make her money back? If that's the case, I would actually consider it to be a pretty Mustachian way to go.

No, because it specifically says used once. So the person had it all new, whether they bought directly or were gifted, and wore each piece once versus rewearing some of them and maybe selling the rest as "brand new".

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6126 on: March 06, 2017, 10:43:28 AM »
I used to get those flyers from Honda all the time: Your car is in HIGH DEMAND.  We can offer you 20 BAJILLION dollars as a trade in.

But of course they make the money back on the price of the new car.  It's 50 bajillion dollars.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #6127 on: March 06, 2017, 11:18:54 AM »

This is what happens when everyone shows up to your baby shower with newborn size clothes, but your baby weighs 10 pounds when it's born.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6128 on: March 06, 2017, 12:11:31 PM »

This is what happens when everyone shows up to your baby shower with newborn size clothes, but your baby weighs 10 pounds when it's born.

I have standard baby gift.

If I'm not close - size not tiny white onesies. Whatever I can find easiest, usually 6-9 months. White because it goes with everything. Onesies are dead useful.

If I'm close - the onesies + package Huggies diapers size 2. Most people are at least willing to try Huggies.

I've know multiple people who had 10+ lb babies. I also don't give gender specific clothes, again because I know someone who got a surprise in that department. I'm pretty sure the dad nearly had a heart attack about putting the baby boy in a room that looked like someone vomited pink all over (I saw the room).

Now, still working on standard wedding gift...

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6129 on: March 06, 2017, 12:18:52 PM »

But all 115 pieces have supposedly been "worn once"...so the baby must have been underweight to be able to wear all those clothes for 115 days. I guess it's possible they wore more than one a day though.

ringer707

• Bristles
« Reply #6130 on: March 06, 2017, 12:21:37 PM »

But all 115 pieces have supposedly been "worn once"...so the baby must have been underweight to be able to wear all those clothes for 115 days. I guess it's possible they wore more than one a day though.

Good point. I have no explanation for that. I mean obviously it's conceivable that you would change the baby's outfit during the day from spit up/diaper explosion, but 115 outfits still seems excessive.

Kashmani

• Stubble
« Reply #6131 on: March 06, 2017, 04:29:31 PM »

This +1. People tend to give a sh**load of newborn clothes as gifts when someone is having a baby. Since everybody gets more newborn clothes than they need, people also start giving hand-me-downs in addition to the new stuff. And that system propagates like a pyramid scheme until people get a giant tote full of newborn clothes. When my first child was born, even the neighbours on the street started to rummage through their basement and gave us their newborn clothes. We certainly had around 100 items of newborn clothing, only a fraction of which we ever used before --- you guessed it --- regifting the tote to the next unlucky couple who probably have re-re-gifted it by now.

Once kids are around 5 years old they wear out stuff much faster than they grow out of it, so the hand-me-down "pipeline" slows precipitously at the toddler stage, and then dries up completely at the elementary school stage.

better late

• Bristles
« Reply #6132 on: March 06, 2017, 04:39:59 PM »
I used to get those flyers from Honda all the time: Your car is in HIGH DEMAND.  We can offer you 20 BAJILLION dollars as a trade in.

But of course they make the money back on the price of the new car.  It's 50 bajillion dollars.

This.  Last summer I brought our Prius in to the dealer for some work/fix the recall issue and before I had even exited the car, one of the sales people was in my face telling my my car was in HIGH DEMAND and that they wanted to buy it from me. It was ridiculous, and annoying.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 05:06:33 PM by Better Late »

cheapass

• Pencil Stache
  • On track for FIRE @ 40
« Reply #6133 on: March 06, 2017, 08:55:32 PM »
Saw this gem on FB tonight

"Just drove into the garage and I noticed 60k miles. It's time for a new car! ☺"

Dumbass

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6134 on: March 06, 2017, 09:01:39 PM »

A newborn can easily go through 3-5 (or more) outfits a day.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6135 on: March 06, 2017, 09:05:53 PM »

I also recommend the Dad organize a "Diaper Party" with his friends.  We got enough diapers to last most of the first year going this route.

Nah, he's not doing a party. While I take every hand me down offered, I'm fairly uncomfortable with expecting others to spend their money on things for our child.

TOgirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6136 on: March 07, 2017, 08:35:09 AM »

Nah, he's not doing a party. While I take every hand me down offered, I'm fairly uncomfortable with expecting others to spend their money on things for our child.

That's refreshing. I just attended a shower for an old friend, who had 3 registries, fully loaded with crap only first time parents require. DURING the shower, she complained to me about the gifts some of the invitees gave her. She felt some didn't give enough items, and that she should have gotten more. Unbelievable.

DTaggart

• Bristles
« Reply #6137 on: March 07, 2017, 10:43:49 AM »

This.  Last summer I brought our Prius in to the dealer for some work/fix the recall issue and before I had even exited the car, one of the sales people was in my face telling my my car was in HIGH DEMAND and that they wanted to buy it from me. It was ridiculous, and annoying.

I enjoy it immensely when they tell me they can get me in a new car AND lower my payments!
"Really, you're going to pay me to take a new car?"
"Uhh... what?"
"I paid cash for my current car, so my payment is $0. That means you'll have to give me money to make it lower."

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6138 on: March 07, 2017, 12:20:04 PM »

Oh gosh we went through closer to 3 outfits a day at 0-3 month size. there was LOTS of puking involved.

PetiteMouche

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6139 on: March 09, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »
A Facebook acquaintance inherited money after her mother's death and spent it on large, brand new, gas-guzzling vehicles for her son and husband. I thought that was a stupid use of this one-time windfall, but hey, if she can afford it, it's no skin off my nose.

Well, only a few months later, there was an unexpected family crisis on the other side of the world.

SHE SET UP A GOFUNDME PAGE and kept spam-posting her FB friends for weeks, begging them to pay for her plane tickets, which were only going to cost a few thousand dollars, anyway.

Hardly anyone gave - I wonder why. Could it be that we still remembered the super-luxury vehicles you rubbed in our faces so recently?

She quietly deleted the page when it became obvious she wasn't going to get the help she'd hoped for.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #6140 on: March 10, 2017, 05:03:03 AM »

This. Was a blast, everyone got great food, good beer and home brewed whiskey, beer darts and other yard games and a night of fun for far less than going out to a bar. About the price of a byob potluck, only less work for everyone but the host. 7 months in and still have free diapers; would absolutely do again.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6141 on: March 10, 2017, 07:11:08 AM »
Husband just got invited to a new Dad poker party: buy in is the typical $20, plus a pack of diapers.  The payout only involves the cash buy in :)

He still won't host such a thing though.

I did just get a work shower- I am so completely overwhelmed by the amount of things given to me.  Baby will not be starting life as a minimalist!

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6142 on: March 10, 2017, 07:30:57 AM »

I enjoy it immensely when they tell me they can get me in a new car AND lower my payments!
"Uhh... what?"
"I paid cash for my current car, so my payment is $0. That means you'll have to give me money to make it lower."

We just live in a society where people are so used to having certain debts that they feel like encountering someone without those debts is like encountering a mythical beast, like a unicorn. EVERYONE has car loans, mortgages, student loans, and massive credit card debt, right?! *eye roll*

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6143 on: March 10, 2017, 07:51:56 AM »

"Uhh... what?"

We just live in a society where people are so used to having certain debts that they feel like encountering someone without those debts is like encountering a mythical beast, like a unicorn. EVERYONE has car loans, mortgages, student loans, and massive credit card debt, right?! *eye roll*

Or people think the only reason you don't have a car loan is because you make a ton of money, or have an inheritance. Um...you realize most /really/ poor people drive cars that are literally about to fall apart and they've never had a car payment? I see it everyday, cars in the parking lot that are wrecked/dented, nearly bald tires, mismatched tires, clear coat half gone, etc because they can't afford to do anything about it and the cars still technically drive. The best part is when people want new cars to "save on maintenance" but even in a WORST CASE SCENARIO if I were to have serious maintenance on my car every. single. year. it would still be like half of a car payment. I could get my engine rebuilt every 5 years and still pay less than having a car payment for 5 years. Assuming the cheapest car payment for a brand new car is maybe $300-350 for 60 months. Most people pay a lot more. I'm not even including the extra insurance for a brand new car...

Sorry, I went on a rant there. You were probably referring to someone having a newish car paid in cash, not a $800 junker...

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6144 on: March 10, 2017, 07:58:29 AM »
Or people think the only reason you don't have a car loan is because you make a ton of money, or have an inheritance. Um...you realize most /really/ poor people drive cars that are literally about to fall apart and they've never had a car payment? I see it everyday, cars in the parking lot that are wrecked/dented, nearly bald tires, mismatched tires, clear coat half gone, etc because they can't afford to do anything about it and the cars still technically drive.
It might not be a matter of being able to afford it in all cases.  I drive a '95 Corolla with 210K miles.  It has a few scratches and it's starting to rust, and the clear coat is all but gone from the hood.  On a car like that, there's simply no point in fixing minor body issues.  In fact, you could count the age/mileage of the car as somewhat of a plus because you don't have to worry about issues like that.

On the other hand, a bald tire or a broken window certainly warrants attention IMO.

marielle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6145 on: March 10, 2017, 08:24:47 AM »
Or people think the only reason you don't have a car loan is because you make a ton of money, or have an inheritance. Um...you realize most /really/ poor people drive cars that are literally about to fall apart and they've never had a car payment? I see it everyday, cars in the parking lot that are wrecked/dented, nearly bald tires, mismatched tires, clear coat half gone, etc because they can't afford to do anything about it and the cars still technically drive.
It might not be a matter of being able to afford it in all cases.  I drive a '95 Corolla with 210K miles.  It has a few scratches and it's starting to rust, and the clear coat is all but gone from the hood.  On a car like that, there's simply no point in fixing minor body issues.  In fact, you could count the age/mileage of the car as somewhat of a plus because you don't have to worry about issues like that.

On the other hand, a bald tire or a broken window certainly warrants attention IMO.

Agreed. Some of them just have cosmetic dents, others have been in a fender bender and have a busted headlight. I'm kind of in the opposite boat, I try to keep my car cosmetically clean even though it's 14 years old, but I have long-term goals for it and don't plan to stop driving it even if the engine needs to be replaced. Not very mustachian though.

MightyAl

• Stubble
« Reply #6146 on: March 10, 2017, 08:31:31 AM »
I just saw an interesting one on the facebook for sale group I am in.  Nearly new sectional.  Asking $500 paid $1700.  Just wanting to change things around.  My jaw dropped but it was a nice sectional.

There also seems to be a preponderance of tattoo kits and vape items.  Like at least one newer tattoo kit per week being sold for $300 or so dollars.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6147 on: March 10, 2017, 08:34:38 AM »

"Uhh... what?"

OTOH, there's some of the opposite belief here too.  There's the assumption that if you have a car payment, you're a sucka and will always have a car payment.  I bought a new car, financed it cheaply (0.9%), paid it off early, and continue to drive it payment free, with no plans to get rid of it anytime soon.  Having a payment or not having a payment is not a permanent state.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6148 on: March 10, 2017, 09:47:08 AM »

"Uhh... what?"

OTOH, there's some of the opposite belief here too.  There's the assumption that if you have a car payment, you're a sucka and will always have a car payment.  I bought a new car, financed it cheaply (0.9%), paid it off early, and continue to drive it payment free, with no plans to get rid of it anytime soon.  Having a payment or not having a payment is not a permanent state.

I think the implicit assumption here on MMM is that you should not buy a car that would need a payment plain ie your new to you car costs under 4k off CL and you paid cash because CL does not finance.  Personally I can go back and forth on this, and can see how car buying should be individual.  (Please lets not rehash the argument that everyone should just ride a bike 98% of the time!  This has been covered in tens of different threads a 1000 different ways :-)   )

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #6149 on: March 10, 2017, 12:45:19 PM »
I just saw an interesting one on the facebook for sale group I am in.  Nearly new sectional.  Asking $500 paid $1700.  Just wanting to change things around.  My jaw dropped but it was a nice sectional.

There also seems to be a preponderance of tattoo kits and vape items.  Like at least one newer tattoo kit per week being sold for $300 or so dollars.

Hardly sat on?