Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6088701 times)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #5400 on: October 31, 2016, 02:14:40 PM »
She has two kids as well, but primary custody is their father.  No they are all mammals, she "rehomed" two of her dogs earlier in the year for a large fee, then acquired some stray kittens from behind her work that she sold off 100 a pop.  I think she was trying to get rid of one of her cats at one point because the medical bills were too high, even though she's had it for eight years.  She just found another stray kitten that she's homing right now.

I do not understand people who somehow turn a profit off of domestic animals (who are not highly trained rescue dogs or something).  I am not a support of most animal breeding in general, but I lived with a very conscientious breed enthusiast and breeder, and despite fetching 2-4K for each puppy, she was in the hole on each litter because of the costs of properly taking care of the mom and puppies, and always keeping a no-questions-asked open-door return policy.  Animals are money sinks!
Yup.  Pretty much anyone turning a profit on dog breeding shouldn't be selling you one.  A $1500-2000 puppy from a responsible breeder might sound expensive, but if they did everything correctly, there's no way they're making money (best hope is to break even).  Those in it for the money are often the types selling $3500 "purebred" something-poos glorified-mutt designer dogs and that just makes me sick.  Or the "I have two dogs of opposite genders that are the same breed.  I'm a breeder now!" backyard breeder crowd.  If you want a purebred, find a real breeder.  If you want a loveable mutt, go to the damn shelter.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5401 on: October 31, 2016, 02:22:16 PM »
The latest from trainwreck friend on FB that I've mentioned earlier:  A series of posts begging to borrow someones car for 3 weeks, for free of course (not sure what happened to hers, I am assuming it got repo'd), when no takers to that "Can I at LEAST get a free ride to court in county X, I need to be there tomorrow for an eviction hearing" aaaand then, does anyone have a room that can take us in for super super cheap.  Us is her, guy she cheated on hubby with, and EIGHT animals.

Oof.  That is something that scares me about having a kid.  I already have a dog and a husband, and it was much easier to imagine friends who could put me up for a week on their couch when it was just me.  Now that we're a much bigger package, it would be more difficult. 

How do you even keep track of eight animals?  Are they all goldfish???

She has two kids as well, but primary custody is their father.  No they are all mammals, she "rehomed" two of her dogs earlier in the year for a large fee, then acquired some stray kittens from behind her work that she sold off 100 a pop.  I think she was trying to get rid of one of her cats at one point because the medical bills were too high, even though she's had it for eight years.  She just found another stray kitten that she's homing right now.

This is Madame Bovary from your earlier post, isn't it?

Yup and totally like the reference lol.

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #5402 on: October 31, 2016, 05:09:38 PM »
The latest from trainwreck friend on FB that I've mentioned earlier:  A series of posts begging to borrow someones car for 3 weeks, for free of course (not sure what happened to hers, I am assuming it got repo'd), when no takers to that "Can I at LEAST get a free ride to court in county X, I need to be there tomorrow for an eviction hearing" aaaand then, does anyone have a room that can take us in for super super cheap.  Us is her, guy she cheated on hubby with, and EIGHT animals.

Oof.  That is something that scares me about having a kid.  I already have a dog and a husband, and it was much easier to imagine friends who could put me up for a week on their couch when it was just me.  Now that we're a much bigger package, it would be more difficult. 

How do you even keep track of eight animals?  Are they all goldfish???

This is Madame Bovary from your earlier post, isn't it?

Yup and totally like the reference lol.

Another +1 for the reference.  You should refer to her that way going forward so we can keep track of her exploits.  I just looked back to reread your old posts regarding her trainwreck decisions.  Good grief.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5403 on: November 01, 2016, 11:11:13 AM »
Sadly, I have one that tops this.  My MIL just bought a new-to-her jeep for $22,000....with 180,000 miles on it....and an interest rate of 28%.  Twenty-eight freaking percent!  Her payments are something like $500 a month.  For an old jeep.  Nothing at all special about it.  I have so many stories I could tell that would boggle your mind, but this is her most recent one.

Cars can last a long time. We have 300K on our grocery getter daily driver. However the past a certain mileage - the car lasts because it was treated well and I have a negative expectation that the average vehicle was treated well enough to last to huge miles.

To me - anything with that many miles isn't worth much unless it was fully restored aka antique/collectible with a properly rebuilt driveline and suspension.

She definitely being taken advantage of in about three different ways there. Tell her I said she ought to start saving up for an engine or transmission rebuild. The smart thing would be to get rid of it soon and avoid the interest. I have no idea if a repo would be worthwhile. Might force her into something she can afford for cash though aka something thrifty and car like.

I'm curious about its real resale value. Maybe $10K?

VladTheImpaler

• Stubble
« Reply #5404 on: November 02, 2016, 06:15:02 AM »
Sadly, I have one that tops this.  My MIL just bought a new-to-her jeep for $22,000....with 180,000 miles on it....and an interest rate of 28%.  Twenty-eight freaking percent!  Her payments are something like $500 a month.  For an old jeep.  Nothing at all special about it.  I have so many stories I could tell that would boggle your mind, but this is her most recent one.

And you married her offspring?
The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.
Has dear spouse exhibited any of this behavior yet?

Gosh, that's a bit of a leap of logic to assume that the child must be exactly like the mother! There are countless threads on this forum of people saying that it was actually seeing all their parents' crazy financial habits that made them determined to manage their money properly.

I'm sorry. I should not have said that.
I am one of those people that saw my parents and decided to break the cycle.
My question was sincere and I was genuinely hoping for an answer, I didn't mean to sound judgmental.

I divorced someone who I thought was very different than their parents, but turned out to be a liar and a manipulator, and exactly like the worst traits of their parents. So I'm trying to learn from others if they have experienced this.
I should have prefaced with that info. Context is everything.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:35:38 AM by VladTheImpaler »

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5405 on: November 02, 2016, 08:14:15 AM »

Gosh, that's a bit of a leap of logic to assume that the child must be exactly like the mother! There are countless threads on this forum of people saying that it was actually seeing all their parents' crazy financial habits that made them determined to manage their money properly.

My question was sincere and I was genuinely hoping for an answer, I didn't mean to sound judgmental.

I divorced someone who I thought was very different than their parents, but turned out to be a liar and a manipulator, and exactly like the worst traits of their parents. So I'm trying to learn from others if they have experienced this.

Hey, good on you for standing up and apologising. We all have tone failures on the internet from time to time. Pax.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5406 on: November 02, 2016, 02:36:01 PM »

It is pretty well-established that kids tend to grow up to be like their same-gender parent, men are attracted to women who look like and are like their mother, and women are attracted to men who are like their father. Variations arise like with anything in life.

When I started dating my (long ago now) ex, one of their friends pulled me aside and warned me that their same-gender parent was psychopathic, a compulsive liar, etc.... I got similar warnings from other people and ignored them, figuring that my ex at the time was different. The relationship collapsed because all they wanted was sex and partying and be reckless. None of which were near the my top priority: an infant child at the time. After the breakup they put me through hell with their lies and delusions and accusations. After years of having full custody of our daughter, they have paid less than 30$ in child support, they rarely see our daughter, and they continue to lie and accuse me of things.

People deserve to not be judged by the personality of their parents; exceptions arise.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 02:37:43 PM by kayvent »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5407 on: November 03, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »
And that adds a layer of comedy to a relationship. Dislikes the mother-in-law but loves her daughter... Turns out that they are very similar in many ways.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5408 on: November 03, 2016, 09:31:48 AM »
And that adds a layer of comedy to a relationship. Dislikes the mother-in-law but loves her daughter... Turns out that they are very similar in many ways.

Yeah, I remember gaining motivation to end a relationship with someone because I could see how similar she was to her mother (manipulator, spend-thrift, and more), but also really liking her and so not wanting to do so. In the end it was a relief when she broke up with me as it spared me from having to make the decision, and she was very surprised I didn't try to "win her back."

That said, I'm vastly different in personality than my parents or my siblings, and a lot of it is seeing how the decisions my parents made are hurting them now (esp in terms of how they invested their money).

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5409 on: November 03, 2016, 09:47:04 AM »
I can relate. DW and I are very different from our families too. Its meant less $$$ but we spend less too. I like who we are as people better. More versatile and adventurous. We looked at what worked in our families when we were growing up and discarded the rest. I think our frugality has looked like "poor" to the rest of the family and assumptions are made. We made long term decisions that are paying off in the expected ways now. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5410 on: November 03, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »

It is pretty well-established that kids tend to grow up to be like their same-gender parent, men are attracted to women who look like and are like their mother, and women are attracted to men who are like their father. Variations arise like with anything in life.

When I started dating my (long ago now) ex, one of their friends pulled me aside and warned me that their same-gender parent was psychopathic, a compulsive liar, etc.... I got similar warnings from other people and ignored them, figuring that my ex at the time was different. The relationship collapsed because all they wanted was sex and partying and be reckless. None of which were near the my top priority: an infant child at the time. After the breakup they put me through hell with their lies and delusions and accusations. After years of having full custody of our daughter, they have paid less than 30$ in child support, they rarely see our daughter, and they continue to lie and accuse me of things.

People deserve to not be judged by the personality of their parents; exceptions arise.
Lordy I hope not.  My mom became an alcoholic.  And she was often a "victim".  Never said no, didn't stand up for herself, very soft hearted.

My dad was kind of an asshole.  Relatively gruff, frugal, and hard-hearted.

I'd like to hope I'm a blend, but for sure at least so far I take after my dad more than my mom.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #5411 on: November 03, 2016, 11:15:12 AM »
Am I the only person that's happy that I'm basically exactly like my mom?

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5412 on: November 03, 2016, 11:30:35 AM »

Nope, me too. Pragmatic, practical, get shit done impressively, skilled at maintaining close interpersonal relationships, practical and reasonable... I could totally, 100% do worst.

Combine that with JUST enough 'I don't give a shit if you don't like me, I am NOT taking your shit' attitude from my dad, and... There you have it. :)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5413 on: November 03, 2016, 11:59:01 AM »

Nope, me too. Pragmatic, practical, get shit done impressively, skilled at maintaining close interpersonal relationships, practical and reasonable... I could totally, 100% do worst.

Combine that with JUST enough 'I don't give a shit if you don't like me, I am NOT taking your shit' attitude from my dad, and... There you have it. :)

Nice, that sounds like a great combination. My parents have a lot of traits that I do admire and take after (my mom's frugality, my dad's reasoning skills), but there is also a ton that I don't want to learn from. For instance, whenever my mom is uncomfortable in a conversation she just changes the topic instead of trying to learn something or acknowledging that she could be wrong (not just with me, with her friends and family as well), whereas I don't want to be like that. My dad tried his hand at market timing and day trading to horrible effect, my lesson from that was to be a long-term investor...right now my money is index funds because I don't have the stomach to research and buy individual stocks.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #5414 on: November 03, 2016, 12:04:42 PM »

I'm also a healthy medium between the two. I have some of each of their best strengths... and also, both of their worst aspects too. But hey, at least we understand each other throughout the good and the bad!

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5415 on: November 04, 2016, 10:51:18 AM »

I'm happy to be mostly like my mom too.  What does that mean for a guy? :)

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5416 on: November 04, 2016, 11:24:19 AM »
I have my mom's fiscal sensibilities and my dad's personality. Why is it, then, that they had a great marriage but my mom drives me nuts?

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5417 on: November 04, 2016, 02:03:44 PM »
I have my mom's fiscal sensibilities and my dad's personality. Why is it, then, that they had a great marriage but my mom drives me nuts?

You're too similar :P

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #5418 on: November 04, 2016, 02:46:27 PM »
I'm very glad I only inherited my mom's impulsiveness for non-financial matters, because she makes lasting bad financial decisions on impulse, whereas I just go parachute off a mountain on impulse. Non-financial impulsiveness makes my life very fun. Financial impulsiveness means she'll likely never be able to retire.

I definitely inherited my dad's personality and cheapness. Many people have commented on our similarities over the years, and we get along very well.

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
« Reply #5419 on: November 04, 2016, 07:59:09 PM »

I'm also a healthy medium between the two. I have some of each of their best strengths... and also, both of their worst aspects too. But hey, at least we understand each other throughout the good and the bad!

I'm a mix as well. Good and bad; with a healthy dose of off-the wall independence that came out of nowhere, it would seem.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5420 on: November 07, 2016, 05:15:01 AM »
Overheard on Facebook: "I'm looking for a hairdresser for a little baby! She's only 4 months old, so I need someone with experience!"

Same person's post, 2 hours prior: "so broke lol gonna have to wait till payday for groceries!!"

*sigh*

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5421 on: November 07, 2016, 09:54:42 AM »
Overheard on Facebook: "I'm looking for a hairdresser for a little baby! She's only 4 months old, so I need someone with experience!"

Same person's post, 2 hours prior: "so broke lol gonna have to wait till payday for groceries!!"

*sigh*

C'mon now...this baby is in her formative months. One bad haircut could scar her for life!

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5422 on: November 07, 2016, 09:59:29 AM »

*sigh*

C'mon now...this baby is in her formative months. One bad haircut could scar her for life!

Only if you're not using safety scissors. :P

In all seriousness: my kid is 2.5, and I give her a trim when I need to. My husband has long hair - every so often he asks me to give him a trim (his hair is long and thin, so it's basically a question of 'cut a straight line a few inches below shoulders'). This isn't rocket science that needs super-specific training. Thick hair that you want layered, sure, I have no idea how I'd do that. But "trim so it doesn't look uneven" shouldn't be beyond the reach of anyone who can use scissors.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #5423 on: November 07, 2016, 10:32:46 AM »

*sigh*

Only if you're not using safety scissors. :P

In all seriousness: my kid is 2.5, and I give her a trim when I need to. My husband has long hair - every so often he asks me to give him a trim (his hair is long and thin, so it's basically a question of 'cut a straight line a few inches below shoulders'). This isn't rocket science that needs super-specific training. Thick hair that you want layered, sure, I have no idea how I'd do that. But "trim so it doesn't look uneven" shouldn't be beyond the reach of anyone who can use scissors.

Much of what people go to "professionals" for is very do-able at home. Nail salons, eyebrow plucking kiosks, and similar services come to mind. Yes, there are some extreme high-maintenance things that should require training, but as a society we're leading our young people to believe it's biologically impossible to apply nail polish or wield a pair of tweezers on oneself.

Undefined

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5424 on: November 07, 2016, 11:14:47 AM »
Much of what people go to "professionals" for is very do-able at home. Nail salons, eyebrow plucking kiosks, and similar services come to mind. Yes, there are some extreme high-maintenance things that should require training, but as a society we're leading our young people to believe it's biologically impossible to apply nail polish or wield a pair of tweezers on oneself.

Exactly this!  I think it should be a requirement that you should at least attempt this kind of stuff on your own before paying for it.  Yeah, that does mean you might wind up with a bad self dye job, or an uneven haircut, or messy nail polish or whatnot.  Maybe you'll even fail: my first attempt at plucking my own eyebrows was, shall we say, a learning experience. 

I don't think it matters, really, after that if you pay for someone else to do it for you or not.  (Well, as long as you can afford it without being stupid and going into debt because you must get your nails maincured every week or whatever.)

But it gives you a lot more appreciation for someone doing the task WELL if you know you've struggled with it.  It drives me nuts to see women berating the people who do their nails and hair for missing one small little spot - like, really, lady, could you have managed it that well?  Have you ever even tried this before? 

I get a haircut once a year or so (hair is long and straight, not much else to do to it), and I get my toenails done maybe every other year as a treat.  My eyebrows are another story; they want me to come in every four weeks, but I have them do it nice once and then maintain them myself for as long as I can before going back in to do it again.  But knowing how badly I fail at doing them completely myself makes it a lot easier to hand over the $25 to have someone else do them a few times a year, and makes me a lot more forgiving if I notice she missed a strand here or there.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5425 on: November 07, 2016, 02:55:16 PM »
What changed? Is this an extension of "faux-luxury" that people seem to crave now?

When I was growing up it seemed all the women I knew got together and did hair, nails, whatever they thought was important together in the kitchen.

I'm sure mistakes were made.

This past weekend I listened to our younger child complain that they could not draw well. Consequently my DW should do it for them b/c she was good. DW taught the age old "history lesson" about how she is good at what she does b/c she practiced alot when she was the same age, etc. etc. I hope that made a lasting memory.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5426 on: November 08, 2016, 01:58:24 AM »
What changed? Is this an extension of "faux-luxury" that people seem to crave now?

When I was growing up it seemed all the women I knew got together and did hair, nails, whatever they thought was important together in the kitchen.

I'm sure mistakes were made.

This past weekend I listened to our younger child complain that they could not draw well. Consequently my DW should do it for them b/c she was good. DW taught the age old "history lesson" about how she is good at what she does b/c she practiced alot when she was the same age, etc. etc. I hope that made a lasting memory.

Something I'm trying to remember too is that you don't have to be good at something to enjoy it. I'm crap at drawing but went to a local drawing meetup the other week and had a great time.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5427 on: November 09, 2016, 08:48:03 AM »

[MOD NOTE: That's a bit crude.  You can see how a friendly discussion can get derailed by this sort of thing.]

Yup.  And he is as opposite from her as a person can be.  Just as frugal and focused on early retirement as I am.

engineermom21

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5428 on: November 09, 2016, 08:56:29 AM »

Cars can last a long time. We have 300K on our grocery getter daily driver. However the past a certain mileage - the car lasts because it was treated well and I have a negative expectation that the average vehicle was treated well enough to last to huge miles.

To me - anything with that many miles isn't worth much unless it was fully restored aka antique/collectible with a properly rebuilt driveline and suspension.

She definitely being taken advantage of in about three different ways there. Tell her I said she ought to start saving up for an engine or transmission rebuild. The smart thing would be to get rid of it soon and avoid the interest. I have no idea if a repo would be worthwhile. Might force her into something she can afford for cash though aka something thrifty and car like.

I'm curious about its real resale value. Maybe $10K?

Not sure about the resale value, but probably a lot less than she paid, I'm sure.  The even more sad thing is that she supposedly bought it from a "friend" at the dealership.  We have tried to help guide her in the right direction in the past with her financial decisions, but some people just can not change or be helped.  Unfortunately most of my husband's family is the same way.  How he turned out so completely different from them, I will never know, but I'm so grateful for it!

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5429 on: November 10, 2016, 11:24:08 AM »
Ala Madame Bovary: 

Today a meme captioned with a Thank you Trump for becoming president!!!!: 1776 Give us liberty or give us death!  2016: Give us free stuff or we will whine and cry!

Now if you all recall from ealier postings ALL THIS GIRL HAS DONE IS WHINE AND CRY AND BEG FOR FREE STUFF for the past year.  Everything from gofund me's for rent and car payments/repairs, to a multiple paged Christmas list on Amazon for $100 plus toys for her kids and several pages of stuff like $200 northface jackets and $100 plus hair treatments for her and her boy toy.   I mean she LITERALLY posts at least once a week, some piece of jewelry or article of clothing captioned with WANT!! or Someone buy this for me puuuhllllleeeaaassseee!

She has turned down all resonable offers for help, like me offerring her some of moms overload of garden veggies (she wanted food she "likes" instead).  So she is ridiculing EXACTLY what she has spent the past year doing as a result of her own decisions.  But it's OK for her because she just "fell on hard times" (aka, never got an education, never held a full time job, never developed life skills then cheated on her military meal ticket who kicked her out).

My favorite responses
1.  Yea! I know, these millenials are ridiculous always wanting free stuff! (written by a millenial, as her and I are as well, this could be a silent jest at OP but I doubt it)
2.  Hell if I have to pay for my cell phone so should everyone else! (Ok fair enough, but this person is on pretty much every form of government assistance out there last I heard via my mother)
3.  Maybe now we can get jobs! (written by the local town junkie with 3 arrests for drugs that I know of, 2 of which were non weed ones)
4.  I can't wait for this country to BURN!!! (OK so you don't like it...move?)

It just took EVERYTHING in me not to type a response of "So it's OK for you to beg and whine and cry for free stuff (that you don't need)...how does that work"  Every. ounce. of. self. control.  Mainly because the post right after that was how they failed their eviction case (of course) and I am seriously not trying to kick someone when they are down...but ooooooh the urge is real.

frugalsurfer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5430 on: November 10, 2016, 03:27:40 PM »
I am seriously not trying to kick someone when they are down...but ooooooh the urge is real.

Unfriend and move on. That's what I did to all my old acquaintances. You can't beat stupid.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5431 on: November 10, 2016, 03:37:32 PM »
I am seriously not trying to kick someone when they are down...but ooooooh the urge is real.

Unfriend and move on. That's what I did to all my old acquaintances. You can't beat stupid.

You can do this, or at the least unfollow them (then their posts won't show up on your newsfeed). I'm seriously thinking of doing for a lot of people that are either

a. Jerks
b. Sell things that are junk
c. Post things that do not interest me in any way

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5432 on: November 10, 2016, 06:01:24 PM »
IF Y'ALL HAVE CREDIT CARD DEBT UNFRIEND ME

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5433 on: November 11, 2016, 02:16:54 AM »
I unfollowed all my friends. Every single one. I had a totally blank newsfeed for months. It was fantastic. Now I'm deciding whether to re-follow just a few people that I actually miss having updates from, or whether to carry on manually going to their profile whenever I wonder what they're up to. I would highly recommend the mass unfollow.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5434 on: November 11, 2016, 02:48:16 AM »
^^^ That's an idea worth considering.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5435 on: November 11, 2016, 05:14:18 AM »
Don't unfriend Madame Bovary, she is one of my favourite sources of entertainment!

I honestly don't know how you let that 'whine and beg for free stuff' comment go though. You have AMAZING self-control.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5436 on: November 11, 2016, 06:42:02 AM »
Don't unfriend Madame Bovary, she is one of my favourite sources of entertainment!

I honestly don't know how you let that 'whine and beg for free stuff' comment go though. You have AMAZING self-control.

Part of my new years resolution, be nicer to people I want to bitch slap.  I have a very strong D type personality and have a really hard time empathizing with things/people so I've actually been working really really really hard this year to put myself in other peoples shoes.  She just seriously tested my upper limit though, I haven't been on FaceBook since I saw that

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5437 on: November 11, 2016, 07:40:19 AM »

Exactly this!  I think it should be a requirement that you should at least attempt this kind of stuff on your own before paying for it.  Yeah, that does mean you might wind up with a bad self dye job, or an uneven haircut, or messy nail polish or whatnot.  Maybe you'll even fail: my first attempt at plucking my own eyebrows was, shall we say, a learning experience.

For about a year I tried to give myself a regular haircut. I never botched it or did a horrible job but I found it never looked as good as a professional. The mess was also horrible. I'm undecided on whether I'll go to a professional now or try to get better on myself.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5438 on: November 11, 2016, 08:02:08 AM »
I unfollowed all my friends. Every single one. I had a totally blank newsfeed for months. It was fantastic. Now I'm deciding whether to re-follow just a few people that I actually miss having updates from, or whether to carry on manually going to their profile whenever I wonder what they're up to. I would highly recommend the mass unfollow.

I went a different direction and just quit Facebook entirely. I miss some of the pics from friends but nothing else about FB. I especially don't miss feeling addicted to the feed.

VladTheImpaler

• Stubble
« Reply #5439 on: November 11, 2016, 08:14:13 AM »
^^^^ I quit facebook too and do not miss it.
No body was posting anything helpful or interesting.
It was just a never ending stream of "Look at me" and "Please validate my existence."
I don't have time for that.
Mark Zuckerberg also just pisses me off. I refuse to be his pawn.
We are enriching that goon with our own vanity, insecurity, and ego.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5440 on: November 11, 2016, 08:17:35 AM »
I quit during one of the election cycles - either 2008 or 2012. I don't remember. The politics in my feed was way too much to absorb and wildly inaccurate to boot. I just didn't have any spare brain cells i was willing to give to FB. ;)

I don't like election year rhetoric. Speak truthfully and accurately or not at all. As you might imagine this last one was especially painful to witness.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5441 on: November 11, 2016, 08:47:55 AM »
Ala Madame Bovary: 

Today a meme captioned with a Thank you Trump for becoming president!!!!: 1776 Give us liberty or give us death!  2016: Give us free stuff or we will whine and cry!

Now if you all recall from ealier postings ALL THIS GIRL HAS DONE IS WHINE AND CRY AND BEG FOR FREE STUFF for the past year.  Everything from gofund me's for rent and car payments/repairs, to a multiple paged Christmas list on Amazon for $100 plus toys for her kids and several pages of stuff like $200 northface jackets and $100 plus hair treatments for her and her boy toy.   I mean she LITERALLY posts at least once a week, some piece of jewelry or article of clothing captioned with WANT!! or Someone buy this for me puuuhllllleeeaaassseee!

She has turned down all resonable offers for help, like me offerring her some of moms overload of garden veggies (she wanted food she "likes" instead).  So she is ridiculing EXACTLY what she has spent the past year doing as a result of her own decisions.  But it's OK for her because she just "fell on hard times" (aka, never got an education, never held a full time job, never developed life skills then cheated on her military meal ticket who kicked her out).

My favorite responses
1.  Yea! I know, these millenials are ridiculous always wanting free stuff! (written by a millenial, as her and I are as well, this could be a silent jest at OP but I doubt it)
2.  Hell if I have to pay for my cell phone so should everyone else! (Ok fair enough, but this person is on pretty much every form of government assistance out there last I heard via my mother)
3.  Maybe now we can get jobs! (written by the local town junkie with 3 arrests for drugs that I know of, 2 of which were non weed ones)
4.  I can't wait for this country to BURN!!! (OK so you don't like it...move?)

It just took EVERYTHING in me not to type a response of "So it's OK for you to beg and whine and cry for free stuff (that you don't need)...how does that work"  Every. ounce. of. self. control.  Mainly because the post right after that was how they failed their eviction case (of course) and I am seriously not trying to kick someone when they are down...but ooooooh the urge is real.

Had lunch with a friend yesterday. One of her FB friends posted a "Thank god for trump" followed by a rant on how she's in HELL because she lives in CA and the propositions that passed are going to increase taxes, and everyone who voted that way is SO STUPID THAT THEY DON'T REALIZE THEY ARE INCREASING TAXES.  Every argument with her was followed by another crazy rant.  My friend was reading them to me.  It was pretty hilarious. 

Um, is it too hard to believe that people are good at math, but have different values?  Even locally, someone on our local newspaper site made a similar rant, about how he's going to pay more.  I noted that most of the propositions went my way.  He said "now you are going to be paying more".  I answered "yes, I was well aware of that when I voted."

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5442 on: November 11, 2016, 08:55:44 AM »

I went a different direction and just quit Facebook entirely. I miss some of the pics from friends but nothing else about FB. I especially don't miss feeling addicted to the feed.

About 2 weeks before the election, when my local bubble was *sure* Hillary was going to win, but the kind of posts coming from my *other* peeps (family in rural PA, former military) made me worry...I realized I needed a break.

I'd already unfollowed at least a dozen people on both sides of the aisle.  (One exception, the very political / leftist socialist guy who posts very thoughtful links on both sides...truly well balanced).  But it didn't help.  Just *seeing* the headlines in my feed as I desperately looked for the cute kid pics were causing me to lose sleep.  I told my husband that I didn't want to hear about whatever he was reading either, because it was causing me stress (that whole "locus of control" thing).

So for about 2 weeks, I would check FB in the morning for my "On This Day" memories of cute kids.  But the *minute* I saw a political post, I closed it.  And then: after work, no social media (thank goodness instagram was still cute kid pics).  I cooked dinner, hung out with the family, and sat and did a lot of crocheting for a Christmas gift.  I figured if I did 3 rows a night I'd finish by the end of the month.  Anyway...crocheting is very relaxing and zen-inducing.  In two weeks, I worked my way through at least 4 balls of yarn, with only 2 more to go until I'm done.  On the weekends, I used my time to clean up and putter, and worked on a couple of quilts.

It's been glorious.  This week has been a tough one for me, but I really am considering continuing the ban next week.  It's hard though.  I'm contrary, and I like arguing with people and pointing out their inconsistencies.  I find it fun.  Both sides of the aisle.  The ridiculous people who think we should get rid of the electoral college NOW and make Hillary president.  The people who think that others should not be allowed to protest (freedom of speech anyone?)  The people who say "if you don't like it, leave", but in the same breath will say "the Syrians should stay and fix their own country".

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5443 on: November 11, 2016, 09:24:02 AM »
I have a facebook account but I never log in. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #5444 on: November 11, 2016, 09:29:18 AM »
Um, is it too hard to believe that people are good at math, but have different values?  Even locally, someone on our local newspaper site made a similar rant, about how he's going to pay more.  I noted that most of the propositions went my way.  He said "now you are going to be paying more".  I answered "yes, I was well aware of that when I voted."

Ironically, the people who whine about taxes going up are the same ones who complain when the city they live in lacks basic infrastructure items such as working roads, libraries, public hospitals, and schools.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #5445 on: November 11, 2016, 10:26:48 AM »
When my city weren't able to provide basic infrastructure, I'd be complaining too. I want something back for my taxes.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5446 on: November 11, 2016, 10:29:06 AM »
Sometimes you might make more money but your lower income friend spends far more on "stuff and things" further worsening their savings situation making their cash flow problem a "DUH!" moment.

Feels good to be wise enough to put back some acorns for later. In my case it was education by failures. Don't want to be broke? Do something about it!

Oh, yeah, totally. If you make half what I do but spend more than I do, that's just not gonna work at some point.

But I have low-income friends who DO save, but... y'know. Less. Because there's less to go around. And that's not actually shameful, that's just a fact of life/math.

Exactly. I guess most of us have been those low income people early in our lives. That said, its tough to be lower income AND drawn to spend on things you don't need and thus find yourself in a pinch when real needs pop up. Been there and its what motivated DW and I to make more money/get education/spend differently.

I don't look down on these folks but I do question (in my head) why they are smoking, driving a thirsty something with expensive tires, and planning vacations to expensive places on credit cards. Live and let live but don't complain too loudly when the paychecks won't pay for it all.

That car loan ought to have one more line that tells the total cost of the loan $20K @ 20% for X years = $34K. I guess all the info is out there via the 'net in the form of calculators and car loan descriptions and "True Value" estimations.

Still it always bothers me to see someone taken advantage of.

My credit union actually does - the paperwork you have to sign tells you the total cost of credit over the full term.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5447 on: November 11, 2016, 10:30:56 AM »
Sometimes you might make more money but your lower income friend spends far more on "stuff and things" further worsening their savings situation making their cash flow problem a "DUH!" moment.

Feels good to be wise enough to put back some acorns for later. In my case it was education by failures. Don't want to be broke? Do something about it!

Oh, yeah, totally. If you make half what I do but spend more than I do, that's just not gonna work at some point.

But I have low-income friends who DO save, but... y'know. Less. Because there's less to go around. And that's not actually shameful, that's just a fact of life/math.

Exactly. I guess most of us have been those low income people early in our lives. That said, its tough to be lower income AND drawn to spend on things you don't need and thus find yourself in a pinch when real needs pop up. Been there and its what motivated DW and I to make more money/get education/spend differently.

I don't look down on these folks but I do question (in my head) why they are smoking, driving a thirsty something with expensive tires, and planning vacations to expensive places on credit cards. Live and let live but don't complain too loudly when the paychecks won't pay for it all.

That car loan ought to have one more line that tells the total cost of the loan $20K @ 20% for X years = $34K. I guess all the info is out there via the 'net in the form of calculators and car loan descriptions and "True Value" estimations.

Still it always bothers me to see someone taken advantage of.

My credit union actually does - the paperwork you have to sign tells you the total cost of credit over the full term.

Who reads paperwork before they sign it?

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #5448 on: November 11, 2016, 10:58:19 AM »

Great idea.  I often have wished i could keep facebook for events without being tempted by the info overload of the newsfeed.  Especially right now my facebook is nothing but negative.

Just unfollowed everybody. "No stories to show" whew! Feels great!

MrsDinero

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5449 on: November 11, 2016, 11:01:19 AM »

Great idea.  I often have wished i could keep facebook for events without being tempted by the info overload of the newsfeed.  Especially right now my facebook is nothing but negative.

Just unfollowed everybody. "No stories to show" whew! Feels great!

I belong to a lot of craft and local sale groups.  I've set up my newsfeed so those always show on the top.  Most of the time I never see posts other than those.  I have some friends who also fall into the top category too, but those friend usually post funny cat videos.