Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082409 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4550 on: June 13, 2016, 10:48:46 AM »
http://www.movoto.com/blog/novelty-real-estate/sitcom-cribs/ Which TV characters could afford their apartments

Full house was in the 80s though... SF was probably cheaper

That's an understatement if ever I heard one.

Sorry, I meant full house was LIKE, TOTALLY set in the 80s

They are saying that Danny in Full House makes half what the Winslows did in Family Matters and just a bit more than Homer Jay Simpson?  Somehow I always thought that Danny had some family money or did well before the shows time too.

Under sources they list only the page the chart is on.  Are there good public data on income by occupation over the last few decades and housing prices?  Was the 'analysis' done in today's dollars or 80's?

I probably have better things to be thinking about today...

It's almost certainly today's real estate prices and today's salaries in today's dollars.  If their point is that SF of today has gotten unaffordable for the middle class, then they are right-- just watch full house revamped.  But when the show actually aired, I don't think it was crazy (besides being comically large perhaps, as all TV sets are)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4551 on: June 14, 2016, 10:19:25 AM »
Guy posts photos of his new house.

A few hours later, same guy starts begging people for furniture, appliances, flatware, etc. to fill it.

I can't decide if he was Mustachian for furnishing the house with freebies, or Antimustachian for spending so much on the house he couldn't afford to furnish it.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4552 on: June 14, 2016, 10:22:26 AM »
http://www.movoto.com/blog/novelty-real-estate/sitcom-cribs/ Which TV characters could afford their apartments

They are saying that Danny in Full House makes half what the Winslows did in Family Matters and just a bit more than Homer Jay Simpson?  Somehow I always thought that Danny had some family money or did well before the shows time too.

Under sources they list only the page the chart is on.  Are there good public data on income by occupation over the last few decades and housing prices?  Was the 'analysis' done in today's dollars or 80's?

For the Simpsons, they were gifted the house by Grandpa Abe.

I remember there was an episode where Homer and Marge paid off their mortgage, and then Homer takes out a new mortgage on their house so he can give the money to Moe and save his bar.  So they had a mortgage.  I have no idea why I remember this, or why I feel it important to correct you.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4553 on: June 14, 2016, 10:31:15 AM »

I remember there was an episode where Homer and Marge paid off their mortgage, and then Homer takes out a new mortgage on their house so he can give the money to Moe and save his bar.  So they had a mortgage.  I have no idea why I remember this, or why I feel it important to correct you.

I stand corrected, turns out that Abe gave them the money for the down-payment, I thought he paid for the entire house.

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/742_Evergreen_Terrace

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4554 on: June 14, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »

I stand corrected, turns out that Abe gave them the money for the down-payment, I thought he paid for the entire house.

http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/742_Evergreen_Terrace

I like how you guys expect the Simpsons to have internal consistency. 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4555 on: June 14, 2016, 11:40:32 AM »

Itchy should've tied Scratchy's tongue with a taut-line hitch, not a sheet bend.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4556 on: June 14, 2016, 11:45:10 AM »

Itchy should've tied Scratchy's tongue with a taut-line hitch, not a sheet bend.

Ahh this brings back memories of my childhood, LOVE this show. I haven't watched it in some time, are the new episodes good?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4557 on: June 14, 2016, 11:55:04 AM »

Ahh this brings back memories of my childhood, LOVE this show. I haven't watched it in some time, are the new episodes good?

No.  I've only caught a few episodes here and there, but they are a completely different beast from the early episodes.  Seasons 4 through 10 are pure gold.  That particular episode was from season 5 I believe.

hernandz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4558 on: June 14, 2016, 04:14:33 PM »

Oh, ho, ho, irony! Oh, no, no, we don't get that here. See, uh, people [post] topless here while smoking dope, so irony's not really a, a high priority. 

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4559 on: June 14, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »

Lmftfy, 800 pixels wide, then you can see the whole picture.
 OK, sorry, it looks correct in preview, but not after I save it.
I tried twice, I don't understand.

« Last Edit: June 15, 2016, 09:08:46 PM by Qmavam »

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #4560 on: June 15, 2016, 07:28:39 AM »
Re: The Full House house, in the "Fuller House" reboot on Netflix (don't judge, I'm an 80s baby and I LOVED IT), Jesse makes a comment to Danny (who decides to give the house to his daughters instead of selling it) along the lines of "do you even know how much this house is worth?!?".

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4561 on: June 15, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Re: The Full House house, in the "Fuller House" reboot on Netflix (don't judge, I'm an 80s baby and I LOVED IT), Jesse makes a comment to Danny (who decides to give the house to his daughters instead of selling it) along the lines of "do you even know how much this house is worth?!?".

I was in San Francisco a few years ago with my wife, and we bought a day pass on one of those sight-seeing buses that drives around the city. The driver told us that tour companies weren't allowed to stop in front of the houses from the exterior shots in Full House any more because passengers kept yelling stuff like "Is Kimmy Gibbler there?!" at the residents.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4562 on: June 15, 2016, 10:07:30 AM »

I was in San Francisco a few years ago with my wife, and we bought a day pass on one of those sight-seeing buses that drives around the city. The driver told us that tour companies weren't allowed to stop in front of the houses from the exterior shots in Full House any more because passengers kept yelling stuff like "Is Kimmy Gibbler there?!" at the residents.

Two of the houses used in "Breaking Bad" a few years ago are up for sale. One of the problems is the constant tour traffic. It's great for the tour companies but bad for the residents and neighbors. The extra vehicles in a residential area are a huge pain, and while it's common for individuals to think that their disruptive comment is "no big deal", when it happens on a daily basis it interferes with your basic comfort and safety in your own home. It also creates a maintenance burden. One homeowner regularly has to go out and retrieve garbage thrown onto his property because people keep trying to hurl pizza onto his roof to re-enact one of the scenes from the series. Overall, I don't think that whatever they made hiring their house out for the shoot was worth the resulting pain in the tush.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4563 on: June 15, 2016, 11:54:39 AM »
"I don't eat out much! I only order take-out once a week, and go to restaurants 1-2 nights a week... oh, and of course I buy lunch at work, but I always bring breakfast!"

... In comparison, that 25$/person meal we had this weekend, which was our first restaurant meal in 2016, almost seems reasonable. Ye gods.

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4564 on: June 15, 2016, 01:41:56 PM »

Two of the houses used in "Breaking Bad" a few years ago are up for sale. One of the problems is the constant tour traffic. It's great for the tour companies but bad for the residents and neighbors. The extra vehicles in a residential area are a huge pain, and while it's common for individuals to think that their disruptive comment is "no big deal", when it happens on a daily basis it interferes with your basic comfort and safety in your own home. It also creates a maintenance burden. One homeowner regularly has to go out and retrieve garbage thrown onto his property because people keep trying to hurl pizza onto his roof to re-enact one of the scenes from the series. Overall, I don't think that whatever they made hiring their house out for the shoot was worth the resulting pain in the tush.

I think the lesson here is to have your house for sale right before the episode/movie airs.  Capitalize on the publicity but before people go ape-shit.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4565 on: June 15, 2016, 06:43:05 PM »
A friend is moving cities for a new job.  Leading up to the move, she has been freaking out about the expense of moving on FB, which is understandable, right?  Moving is a pain, and even cheap moving can feel like a big chunk of money.  I sympathize.

This week (post-move), she writes a post about how totally worth it the $99 fee for Ikea delivery is, because they bought furnishings for an entire apartment.  Friend does own a car. Which made me wonder:

1) The cost of moving was a problem, but you can afford to go out and buy a bunch of new (albeit Ikea) furnishings?  There is this thing called Craigslist.

2) Isn't almost everything large at Ikea sold in that nice flat package format that makes it easy to fit into just about any car?  She did move her mattress, so I'm at a loss as to what other large and awkward-to-fit-in-a-car type items she might have bought.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4566 on: June 15, 2016, 11:49:57 PM »
It makes me wonder what they moved if they didn't move furniture and homegoods?

Perhaps by cost of moving they are referring to security deposits, etc.

A friend is moving cities for a new job.  Leading up to the move, she has been freaking out about the expense of moving on FB, which is understandable, right?  Moving is a pain, and even cheap moving can feel like a big chunk of money.  I sympathize.

This week (post-move), she writes a post about how totally worth it the $99 fee for Ikea delivery is, because they bought furnishings for an entire apartment.  Friend does own a car. Which made me wonder:

1) The cost of moving was a problem, but you can afford to go out and buy a bunch of new (albeit Ikea) furnishings?  There is this thing called Craigslist.

2) Isn't almost everything large at Ikea sold in that nice flat package format that makes it easy to fit into just about any car?  She did move her mattress, so I'm at a loss as to what other large and awkward-to-fit-in-a-car type items she might have bought.

NykkiC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4567 on: June 16, 2016, 01:04:59 AM »

Have you actually heard your coworker say that it was because of laziness or not wanting to fit it into a car? While it may seem like a bit luxurious when complaining about the cost of moving, it may well be a necessary expense.

Personally, I've paid for Ikea delivery too, for the very specific reason that my entire family have a tendency toward bad back pains (and I'm starting to get them too) but my building doesn't have a lift. I managed to move in just fine but, when I bought my lounge half-half with my parents, we collectively decided the delivery fee was worth it because a) it meant not aggravating known physical conditions in all of us and b) it meant that I could catch the bus out and order it myself without either of my parents needing to be there with one of their cars and to help me move it.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4568 on: June 16, 2016, 07:18:53 AM »

I agree with your sentiment, but it does remind me of a fun time I bought a 9ft floor-to-ceiling dresser at Ikea.  I proceeded to bring it home in my Miata.  Across the Bay Bridge.  In the rain.

In hindsight, I probably should have paid for delivery.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4569 on: June 16, 2016, 07:37:19 AM »
This is a bit of a tangent, but is furniture buying via Craigslist really feasible if you don't have a car and need multiple pieces of furniture? Renting a car each time you buy something would cancel out the savings from buying used.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4570 on: June 16, 2016, 08:19:38 AM »
This is a bit of a tangent, but is furniture buying via Craigslist really feasible if you don't have a car and need multiple pieces of furniture? Renting a car each time you buy something would cancel out the savings from buying used.

Two other options..

1. You have friends.
2. The seller delivers (usually for a fee, just ask if they will deliver for $40 or ?).

Where Craigslist furniture buying can be a bit problematic in getting out to look at the furniture.  Around here, the sellers are not usually biking distance from me.  Transit is challenge to areas i rarely go to, etc.

But once I find something, I have a few friends that can help me out.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4571 on: June 16, 2016, 08:36:06 AM »

Two other options..

1. You have friends.
2. The seller delivers (usually for a fee, just ask if they will deliver for $40 or ?).

Where Craigslist furniture buying can be a bit problematic in getting out to look at the furniture.  Around here, the sellers are not usually biking distance from me.  Transit is challenge to areas i rarely go to, etc.

Option #3: rent a truck from Home Depot/Lowes/Menards for $20

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4572 on: June 16, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »

Two other options..

1. You have friends.

Can you rent a truck if you don't have car insurance (I'm assuming people who don't have a car also don't have car insurance).  Hell, today I'm getting my wife's car serviced and in order to take a free dealer loaner I had show proof of insurance. 

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4573 on: June 16, 2016, 09:18:19 AM »
Wow, I had no idea the ikea delivery fee was such a contentious point!

Obviously, as with any expense, there are situations in which it is 100% justifiable.  Maybe my friend has such a situation and hasn't disclosed that on FB.  I just thought the juxtaposition of "moving is so expensive" and "we bought a bunch of stuff at Ikea" was funny, and this is the comedy section of the forum.

As far as buying furniture on CL goes...it is definitely a pain without a car, and if you did not own a car I could see that just buying everything at Ikea and having it delivered could be the most sensible option, especially if you need to purchase unwieldy items like a mattress.  However, friend does own a car and did move her mattress, so it seemed to me that perhaps she could have furnished her apartment at a slower rate by nabbing items off CL as they became available.  When my husband and I moved in together, we used a cardboard copy paper box as a table for a couple of weeks until a table we liked came available on CL.  Wouldn't have wanted to do it forever, but it was fun and kind of romantic for two weeks :)

Anyway, it turns out one of the items she bought was a couch, which probably would be hard to fit in a car.  And I'm not sure I would be thrilled about getting a couch off craigslist.  So her use of Ikea and delivery is now slightly less puzzling.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4574 on: June 16, 2016, 09:37:27 AM »

Two other options..

1. You have friends.

lol.  That's part of why I sold my truck a few years back...the only time it got used for 'truck stuff' is when people wanted to borrow it.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4575 on: June 16, 2016, 09:54:01 AM »
Two other options..1. You have friends.2. The seller delivers (usually for a fee, just ask if they will deliver for $40 or ?).Where Craigslist furniture buying can be a bit problematic in getting out to look at the furniture.  Around here, the sellers are not usually biking distance from me.  Transit is challenge to areas i rarely go to, etc.But once I find something, I have a few friends that can help me out.
Can you rent a truck if you don't have car insurance (I'm assuming people who don't have a car also don't have car insurance).  Hell, today I'm getting my wife's car serviced and in order to take a free dealer loaner I had show proof of insurance.

That's a really good question, to which I don't know the answer. Zipcar has trucks, but they're like $15/hr which would get cost prohibitive really fast. Much like renting a car every time you get a new piece of furniture.

Also, it's pathetic but we have no local friends.

As far as buying furniture on CL goes...it is definitely a pain without a car, and if you did not own a car I could see that just buying everything at Ikea and having it delivered could be the most sensible option, especially if you need to purchase unwieldy items like a mattress.  However, friend does own a car and did move her mattress, so it seemed to me that perhaps she could have furnished her apartment at a slower rate by nabbing items off CL as they became available.  When my husband and I moved in together, we used a cardboard copy paper box as a table for a couple of weeks until a table we liked came available on CL.  Wouldn't have wanted to do it forever, but it was fun and kind of romantic for two weeks :)

Anyway, it turns out one of the items she bought was a couch, which probably would be hard to fit in a car.  And I'm not sure I would be thrilled about getting a couch off craigslist.  So her use of Ikea and delivery is now slightly less puzzling.

We bought a mattress. Turns out the van/truck thing we rented was too small (even though it was the largest one offered), so we had to tie it to the roof--fortunately it was only about half a mile. Then the mattress alllllmost didn't fit in the elevator in our building. And then it took 30 minutes to drive that half mile (yay Chicago traffic) and got charged $35 for returning it 1 minute late.

I normally wouldn't have a problem with cardboard or old furniture (heck my balcony is furnished with stuff somebody on my floor was throwing out). But in this case, my landlord reclaimed his book cases, leaving us with mounds of books and whatever else taking up the last open floor space in our studio. Couldn't even walk to the bed. It was a bit of an emergency. And we happened to go to Ikea on one of their free lunch days, so that helped salve the pain.

I mean there are lots of options for the carless. But it seems so much more efficient (time and money) to just go buy a bunch of cheap Ikea furniture and have it delivered. Otherwise you're spending tons of time on public transit just to go look at whatever you want to buy. And then when you want to buy it, you have to pay for delivery/rental anyway. And repeat for each piece of furniture you're buying.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4576 on: June 16, 2016, 09:55:00 AM »

...  I just thought the juxtaposition ... was funny, and this is the comedy section of the forum.

Come on now, Mustachianism isn't funny.  After all, this is serious stuff, just as with any other religion!

/sarcasm

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #4577 on: June 16, 2016, 04:27:59 PM »
Around here you do NOT buy used fluffy furniture off of Craigslist unless you want bedbugs. So no used couches, recliners, etc.  Bad idea.

9-Volt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4578 on: June 17, 2016, 11:01:20 AM »
lol.  That's part of why I sold my truck a few years back...the only time it got used for 'truck stuff' is when people wanted to borrow it.

This is the second reason I also sold my truck.

2) Isn't almost everything large at Ikea sold in that nice flat package format that makes it easy to fit into just about any car?

After I sold my truck, I crammed an entire Ikea kitchen into my Nissan Versa. 

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #4579 on: June 17, 2016, 03:53:09 PM »

My husband and I recently took a day trip to Astoria, OR, and were disappointed to find that you can no longer drive by the Goonies' house. The news story we read about it said the owner was being harassed (people knocking on the door/peeking in windows) all hours of the day and night. I have a sneaking suspicion that the owner also got tired of watching 40-something overweight males doing the Truffle Shuffle.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4580 on: June 17, 2016, 05:44:32 PM »
Otherwise you're spending tons of time on public transit just to go look at whatever you want to buy. And then when you want to buy it, you have to pay for delivery/rental anyway. And repeat for each piece of furniture you're buying.

I did once take a couch on public transit. It was a bit of an ummmm adventure. Can't say I'd recommend it, although it did make waiting for the train comfortable!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4581 on: June 17, 2016, 07:34:54 PM »

LOL   According to JLee,  all you need is a truck (and offer to help move stuff) to get local friends.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4582 on: June 17, 2016, 11:55:11 PM »
I did once take a couch on public transit. It was a bit of an ummmm adventure. Can't say I'd recommend it, although it did make waiting for the train comfortable!

I saw someone with a chair on the subway late one night, but a couch is much more impressive :-)  Almost as good as the busker I saw who had brought an actual piano down to the subway platform.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4583 on: June 18, 2016, 02:27:10 PM »

LOL   According to JLee,  all you need is a truck (and offer to help move stuff) to get local friends.

lmao, yeah....pretty much. It's funny how there are some "friends" who only call when they need something. Bleh.

Kitsunegari

• Bristles
  • Penny wise, pound foolish
« Reply #4584 on: June 22, 2016, 01:22:10 PM »

A few hours later, same guy starts begging people for furniture, appliances, flatware, etc. to fill it.

I can't decide if he was Mustachian for furnishing the house with freebies, or Antimustachian for spending so much on the house he couldn't afford to furnish it.

Mustachian!
We did things similarly, when it comes to furniture the only stuff we bought is 2 dressers, 1 of which I bought when I first moved to the country 8 years ago and has been my only 'bought' property for years.
Everything else was either gifted from friends that were moving or upgrading, savaged from the streets or built from DH. Some of DH's friends laugh at us about that, but it couldn't bother me less.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4585 on: June 22, 2016, 01:57:32 PM »

Mustachian!
We did things similarly, when it comes to furniture the only stuff we bought is 2 dressers, 1 of which I bought when I first moved to the country 8 years ago and has been my only 'bought' property for years.
Everything else was either gifted from friends that were moving or upgrading, savaged from the streets or built from DH. Some of DH's friends laugh at us about that, but it couldn't bother me less.

Depends, imo.

I think it's Mustachian to accept free furniture and use it as best as you can. To beg people for things because you either cannot afford it or don't want to pay for it is something I would have a problem with.

When I was moving into my house my parents gave me two couches and recliner that are sitting their porch. They hadn't used the porch in over a year so they didn't bat an eye at offering it to me. The guy I was renting a room from offered me a dinner table and the bed I was using for $300, and I took him up on it. So all in all, I furnished my house for pretty cheap, though I do want to upgrade the couches/recliner in a few years.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4586 on: June 23, 2016, 02:53:56 PM »
HS classmate will be putting their $900K place in the Houston 'burbs on the market soon -- a 5000-square-foot house on a 15000-square-foot lot. The two kids "need more room to play."  I think they might be kidding? Or maybe I'm just hoping they're kidding. . . .

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4587 on: June 23, 2016, 04:49:59 PM »
HS classmate will be putting their $900K place in the Houston 'burbs on the market soon -- a 5000-square-foot house on a 15000-square-foot lot. The two kids "need more room to play."  I think they might be kidding? Or maybe I'm just hoping they're kidding. . . .

Maybe the kids are now old enough to have their own ATV/4wheelers and need a couple more acres to really "play"

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4588 on: June 24, 2016, 08:17:15 AM »
They are free range children.

deadlymonkey

• Bristles
« Reply #4589 on: June 24, 2016, 08:40:28 AM »

They are the best children to have

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4590 on: June 24, 2016, 09:38:24 AM »

They are the best children to have

I agree, they are the tastiest. 

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
« Reply #4591 on: June 24, 2016, 10:50:13 AM »
My wife had a cooking class recently with a group of women.  When they were done, one lady was "helping" clean up and threw the leftover food away - in the trash!  She wrapped it up in napkins and tossed it.  My wife dug it out when they left...  when I say leftovers, I dont mean what was on peoples plates - this was fresh stuff no one put on a plate yet.

Now to the FB part.  I thought maybe it was a fluke, but nope, this same person posted the following:

"Last night I made lasagna for dinner, but after assembling it all, I had some ingredients left over.  So, I decided to make lasagna rolls.  I had never made them before.  They turned out delicious and the kids LOVED them!  Plus, since I ended up using all of the extra ingredients, I ended up with enough leftovers for us to have another dinner this week since the hubby is out of town.  Success!  I am going to start using all of my extra ingredients from now on rather than tossing them out."

She normally throws away enough food for two more meals! ?
Had a friend(?) Crashing at our place recently and this was probably what I hated the most. Seriously who throws away an apple simply because it had a spot or not inform your host what time you'll come and if you'll be eating the food she cooked for you.
Nope she'd come back at 9:30 not 'really' hungry... she got late coz she had to go shopping!! I stopped giving a fuck in 3 days

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4592 on: June 24, 2016, 11:04:15 AM »
My wife had a cooking class recently with a group of women.  When they were done, one lady was "helping" clean up and threw the leftover food away - in the trash!  She wrapped it up in napkins and tossed it.  My wife dug it out when they left...  when I say leftovers, I dont mean what was on peoples plates - this was fresh stuff no one put on a plate yet.

Now to the FB part.  I thought maybe it was a fluke, but nope, this same person posted the following:

"Last night I made lasagna for dinner, but after assembling it all, I had some ingredients left over.  So, I decided to make lasagna rolls.  I had never made them before.  They turned out delicious and the kids LOVED them!  Plus, since I ended up using all of the extra ingredients, I ended up with enough leftovers for us to have another dinner this week since the hubby is out of town.  Success!  I am going to start using all of my extra ingredients from now on rather than tossing them out."

Had a friend(?) Crashing at our place recently and this was probably what I hated the most. Seriously who throws away an apple simply because it had a spot or not inform your host what time you'll come and if you'll be eating the food she cooked for you.
Nope she'd come back at 9:30 not 'really' hungry... she got late coz she had to go shopping!! I stopped giving a fuck in 3 days

Yeah that's extremely rude. When you stay at someone's house, people need to remember that it isn't a hotel where they can come and go as they please. If they are giong to be out late, I'm sure the hosts don't mind but you should at least let them know. That said, I've seen way too many people that are very passive aggressive about guests. If you would like to know when they are coming, just tell me and I'll be happy to text/call you if I'm going to be back late. I know a few people that get annoyed at hosting people but don't articulate what they want. For instance, a lady I know doesn't like it when guests don't remove the sheets for cleaning, yet when I've stayed there I've asked her and she told me to leave them on.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4593 on: June 24, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »

Yeah that's extremely rude. When you stay at someone's house, people need to remember that it isn't a hotel where they can come and go as they please. If they are giong to be out late, I'm sure the hosts don't mind but you should at least let them know. That said, I've seen way too many people that are very passive aggressive about guests. If you would like to know when they are coming, just tell me and I'll be happy to text/call you if I'm going to be back late. I know a few people that get annoyed at hosting people but don't articulate what they want. For instance, a lady I know doesn't like it when guests don't remove the sheets for cleaning, yet when I've stayed there I've asked her and she told me to leave them on.

I've had a few relatives I have basically used as hotels.  That sounded bad as I typed it out.  We visted florida, and in order to make it a cheap vacation we just stay with relatives.  We love them, and they love us, but we are basically using them as a hotel so we don't have to pay for a hotel for a week.  But we were busy doing stuff, and going places, so we were constantly out.  They seemed like they were annoyed a bit when we weren't there for dinner every night, but we always told them in advance what our plans were (if we knew them - sometimes we would wing it depending on what we felt like, or the weather, etc.) and told them not to make special plans or include us with dinner (we did set aside a couple nights to have family dinner, just not every night), but they still seemed agitated when we would do our own thing and not come home for dinner every night.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4594 on: June 24, 2016, 10:11:06 PM »
We do a family vacation every year. Grandparents, parents (us), kids, cousins.  Lots of possible activities - biking, swimming, boating, golf, hiking, mountain biking (for grown-ups), mini-golf, date nights, family game night.  It truly is a challenge to coordinate the activities of 6 adults and 5 young children and then add in another 8 adults and 3 kids on the cousins side and also friends who love in the area. 

Last year I took a white board, and we mapped out the week. They all thought I was crazy, but it worked. Major stress reducer. Everyone got to say what was important to them. We put it all on the board.  We did all the most important activities and even most of the nice to dos. A little planning goes a long way and makes everyone feel like they had input and could understand why we did what we did. And it made it clear why we were going separate ways sometimes.

Mrs. S

• Stubble
    • Royally Frugal
« Reply #4595 on: June 24, 2016, 10:49:08 PM »

I've had a few relatives I have basically used as hotels.  That sounded bad as I typed it out.  We visted florida, and in order to make it a cheap vacation we just stay with relatives.  We love them, and they love us, but we are basically using them as a hotel so we don't have to pay for a hotel for a week.  But we were busy doing stuff, and going places, so we were constantly out.  They seemed like they were annoyed a bit when we weren't there for dinner every night, but we always told them in advance what our plans were (if we knew them - sometimes we would wing it depending on what we felt like, or the weather, etc.) and told them not to make special plans or include us with dinner (we did set aside a couple nights to have family dinner, just not every night), but they still seemed agitated when we would do our own thing and not come home for dinner every night.

That's fair and we have stayed with relatives and friends as well. We always make it very clear when we will be coming back and if we will be eating with them. Most people forget that it might not be your house but some basic living principles still apply.

Well the same friend told us she can't do math and as a result does not have any money leftover in her account. She was practically evicted by her landlord because her roommate left and she couldn't pay the entire rent. She could also not live alone so she crashed with us for 2-3 weeks before she went back to her parents to help her mom after a surgery they were planning to get done. When she came in she was like I'll help you cook- nope I can't take wasteful people in my kitchen. I hate cleaning so I told her if she wanted to help with anything that's what I would ever need help in. She did it once and then never ever lifted the broom.  I still have no clue how she functions.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4596 on: June 25, 2016, 12:48:47 AM »

You did treat them to something nice while you were there to show your appreciation, I hope? It doesn't have to be an expensive but useless gift, or a restaurant dinner. It could be as simple as including them on a trip to a local museum.

There's a bit of a balance to being a good guest. One shouldn't be underfoot all the time (and it's good that you took responsibility for your family's activities instead of using your hosts for transportation and other things). But at the same time it's important to try not to give the hosts reason to feel used.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4597 on: June 25, 2016, 07:11:25 AM »
Just came across this on my facebook feed...

Late 20-something year old couple - she lived at home due to lack on employment until recently when her boyfriend had her move in...

"Looking for a place to board our dogs when we go away. Somewhere nice, comfortable and cozy.. NOT a typical "kennel." It's worth the price to help keep Jayla's anxiety level low. Suggestions?"

If the girlfriend you're describing is also 7 months pregnant, then you might be talking about my niece.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4598 on: June 27, 2016, 02:04:39 PM »

aww, that's nothing you should see the fireworks when a daily Starbucks Frapachino gets mentioned!
                                                                     :-)

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4599 on: June 27, 2016, 04:04:29 PM »
An acquaintance mentioned she'd recently cleaned out the change cubby in her car and tallied $180.  Mostly change from her daily (or more frequent) lemonade stops. 

Since I rarely use cash, I commented that I'm pretty sure I don't amass that much change (anywhere, not just the car) over five years.  She replied that the last time she cleaned out the car (about a year ago), her change total was over $200.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!