Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6082008 times)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4500 on: June 06, 2016, 06:00:47 PM »
But basically, anytime someone tells you to go fuck yourself, it is MEANT to be offensive.  If you were traveling and (assuming you were American) someone told you to "Fuck the US", wouldn't you perceive that as a rude gesture?  Would you be offended?  Maybe not.  But surely you recognize that it is rude even if you don't agree with US policy.

I agree that it's rude. But Texas is one of the ruder places I've visited[1], so I figure the guy would be used to it.

[1] Actually, I've noticed that the South as a whole relies upon the "southern hospitality" bullshit to get tourist dollars.

Hey now, at least the guy was doing something to "better himself" such as holding doors open and walking through open doors.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4501 on: June 06, 2016, 10:15:57 PM »
But basically, anytime someone tells you to go fuck yourself, it is MEANT to be offensive.  If you were traveling and (assuming you were American) someone told you to "Fuck the US", wouldn't you perceive that as a rude gesture?  Would you be offended?  Maybe not.  But surely you recognize that it is rude even if you don't agree with US policy.

I agree that it's rude. But Texas is one of the ruder places I've visited[1], so I figure the guy would be used to it.

[1] Actually, I've noticed that the South as a whole relies upon the "southern hospitality" bullshit to get tourist dollars.

The south was a lot more polite before all the Yankees moved down here.   :)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4502 on: June 06, 2016, 10:41:31 PM »
When it was just the French and Mexicans ?

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4503 on: June 07, 2016, 07:10:28 AM »

This. Virginia's been overrun already, we should take steps to save the rest.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4504 on: June 07, 2016, 09:19:38 AM »
Background - this friend works for the most volatile 'fire employees for nothing at a moments notice' boss that I have ever met, he also has 2 children under 6 years old. Told me once about how he managed to get out of paying 2k debt on a credit card using some loophole but ended up with the worst credit report I have ever seen! Moaned for months about the cost of renting in our town but collects expensive trainers, treats himself and his family frequently. Overall earns a slightly above average income but never EVER EVER has any money due to ridiculous consumer spending habits...

"Anyone I know work in car sales on here that can source BMW, Audi, Mercedes financing based on affordability as opposed to credit scores?"
Lol. Cash, baby.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4505 on: June 07, 2016, 09:50:02 AM »
I wish I could respond with math. The issue is that these are friends from college, where I got a business degree and they got social science degrees. In college, I was "the conservative" in the group for arguing that stock market participation is not inherently evil.

And now, any argument around money is "Merula doesn't know what it's like because she has a good job." Despite the fact that I can point to $200 in monthly spending that the original poster has that I don't, just from what she posts to fb. (Three subscription boxes and an energy drink habit. Not to mention the fact that her kids have twice the toys mine do.)

Most of my friends ended up with theater degrees like mine, so I can math at them all I want.  Also... the one who posted it, I haven't seen in 10 years, and we weren't that great of friends to begin with.  I decided I was ok offending him with math.

I understand being offended by stagnating wages and skyrocketing COL. Those are bad things. But when someone is offended by math, I mentally put them in the same camp as somebody who's offended by gravity - they're an idiot.

I'm a lot of fun at parties, in case you couldn't tell.

Indeed, two weeks ago one of the instructors at my gym was talking about cutting weight for a fight and mentioned, "It's really easy to drop 5 pounds when I'm at 280, but it gets much harder than when I'm at 260." He's fairly lean so I can understand, but I commented by saying that 'well that makes sense because when you are lighter, each pound is a higher percentage." He looked at me with a glossy look and said, "I hate percentages," and walked away.

I'm also a blast at parties!

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4506 on: June 07, 2016, 10:28:10 AM »
Wanna sit in the corner with me and pet the host's cat/dog?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4507 on: June 07, 2016, 11:11:08 AM »

Oh it's over if I find out that they have a dog, screw humans I don't mind spending my time at the party playing with the dog(s).

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4508 on: June 07, 2016, 11:24:27 AM »

Oh it's over if I find out that they have a dog, screw humans I don't mind spending my time at the party playing with the dog(s).
Word

barbaz

• Stubble
« Reply #4509 on: June 07, 2016, 12:29:41 PM »
But when someone is offended by math, I mentally put them in the same camp as somebody who's offended by gravity - they're an idiot.

I'm a lot of fun at parties, in case you couldn't tell.
Quote from: Tim Minchin
"But evolution is only a theory!" Which is true. I mean, it is only a theory, it's good that they say that. I think, it gives you hope, doesn't it? That... that maybe they feel the same way about the theory of gravity, and they might just float the fuck away.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4510 on: June 07, 2016, 12:40:45 PM »
Re Texas:  I have traveled a lot and people are people everywhere I have been.  Some are nice some are asses.  I dont think it is much of a stretch to think that Big-Rig-Texan-Man went into CO with a sour attitude and maybe locals were reacting to that.  Or the locals were applying local politeness customs that differed from TX customs. 

When I was an exchange student they told me to remember the saying: "not good, not bad, just different."  There are probably reasons they do things the way they do and they dont need some outsider coming in and telling them to do everything differently 1.5 days after arriving.

Things are different in different places, just accept that and go with the flow.  "When in Rome" and all that...

Big-Rig-Texan-Man may have wanted to go out and see the world and expected it to be the same as home, this does not work. 

Living in the South I have seen locals talk a big game about politeness/etiquette and southern hospitality then sucker punch someone.  Not that people elsewhere dont get close to someone then go in for the kill. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4511 on: June 07, 2016, 01:50:07 PM »
Anyone seen the FB post titled "Make Monsanto Mad!!" with the ingredients to a simple weed killer (epsom salt, vinegar, dish detergent, etc)?  Good tip, cheaper and very MMM way to tend the yard, but it really tipped something over in me considering who shared it this time. 

This was posted by an idiot relative who must be the dumbest woman I have ever met.  She loves to harp all about this kind of greenie-mama earth stuff and loves to share posts that are all about Sticking it to The Man and railing against Big Corporations. 

Meanwhile she smoked and drank her way through two pregnancies and has idiot children to show for it--no kidding, one has all the physical and mental markers of prenatal alcohol syndrome, both are adults now and are really messed up losers who can't stray too far from the Jack Daniels or the bong to work or get some education and skills.  I just can't deal with the self-righteous bullshit she is always spewing when the one thing she had 100% control over was just too hard to do, i.e. cut the booze and smicks while hatching the brood. 

I would love to point this out to her in response to her most ridiculous "they are poisoning us!" posts, but I just can't.  She is not worth dealing with the fallout from everyone she is linked to.  BTW, no, she has not adopted clean living in the last 25 years and is making up for harming her kids--she still smokes and tokes and guzzles as much as ever.  And her house is a hoard, filthy, disgusting, full of crap.  She is just crazy I guess.

So she isn't allowed to post ways for people to DIY on clean products?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4512 on: June 07, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »
Anyone seen the FB post titled "Make Monsanto Mad!!" with the ingredients to a simple weed killer (epsom salt, vinegar, dish detergent, etc)?  Good tip, cheaper and very MMM way to tend the yard, but it really tipped something over in me considering who shared it this time. 

This was posted by an idiot relative who must be the dumbest woman I have ever met.  She loves to harp all about this kind of greenie-mama earth stuff and loves to share posts that are all about Sticking it to The Man and railing against Big Corporations. 

Meanwhile she smoked and drank her way through two pregnancies and has idiot children to show for it--no kidding, one has all the physical and mental markers of prenatal alcohol syndrome, both are adults now and are really messed up losers who can't stray too far from the Jack Daniels or the bong to work or get some education and skills.  I just can't deal with the self-righteous bullshit she is always spewing when the one thing she had 100% control over was just too hard to do, i.e. cut the booze and smicks while hatching the brood. 

I would love to point this out to her in response to her most ridiculous "they are poisoning us!" posts, but I just can't.  She is not worth dealing with the fallout from everyone she is linked to.  BTW, no, she has not adopted clean living in the last 25 years and is making up for harming her kids--she still smokes and tokes and guzzles as much as ever.  And her house is a hoard, filthy, disgusting, full of crap.  She is just crazy I guess.

I think it's the ironically misplaced activism that is annoying.

Kind of like the evangelical Christians who found Jesus after 3 divorces, or that fat coworkers who lectures everyone in the office about sugar.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4513 on: June 07, 2016, 02:21:40 PM »
Kind of like the evangelical Christians who found Jesus after 3 divorces, or that fat coworkers who lectures everyone in the office about sugar.

You know Rush Limbaugh?!

Magilla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4514 on: June 07, 2016, 03:56:25 PM »
Re Texas:  I have traveled a lot and people are people everywhere I have been.  Some are nice some are asses.  I dont think it is much of a stretch to think that Big-Rig-Texan-Man went into CO with a sour attitude and maybe locals were reacting to that.  Or the locals were applying local politeness customs that differed from TX customs. 

When I was an exchange student they told me to remember the saying: "not good, not bad, just different."  There are probably reasons they do things the way they do and they dont need some outsider coming in and telling them to do everything differently 1.5 days after arriving.

Things are different in different places, just accept that and go with the flow.  "When in Rome" and all that...

Big-Rig-Texan-Man may have wanted to go out and see the world and expected it to be the same as home, this does not work. 

Living in the South I have seen locals talk a big game about politeness/etiquette and southern hospitality then sucker punch someone.  Not that people elsewhere dont get close to someone then go in for the kill.

OMG, so much this. 

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4515 on: June 07, 2016, 04:44:39 PM »
Saw this on Facebook today:
"Feelin like a real Texan right now."

...accompanied by a picture of a brand new Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew (MSRP ~$37k before options)...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4516 on: June 07, 2016, 07:43:28 PM »

I think it's the ironically misplaced activism that is annoying.

Yeah I can understand that, but I get pearls of wisdom from FB from people that I think are batshit crazy. There's an uber spender that I know that posts plenty of political thing that I completely disagree with that will also post video recipes that are really good.

APowers

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4517 on: June 09, 2016, 11:03:01 AM »
Posted on a former co-workers fb wall. I did a *tiny* bit of research and the "average salary wage" in 1965 was ~$35k in today's dollars, a "nice car" (Chrysler Imperial) was ~$50k.  Imagine what their dad could have done with ~$52k....

I know I have made an average of less than $26k over the last 5 years, working less than 40hrs/wk-- managed to be raising 2 kids, paid off my house entirely, and if we wanted a nice car we could afford one.

I commented in reply "Sounds like the memewriter needs to go talk to his Dad for some financial advice." There was no response.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4518 on: June 09, 2016, 11:09:57 AM »
APowers, that is a valid concern. My only caveat with such thinking is that the reason many people feel like they are working harder for less is because they are spending way more than their parents did...smartphones, cable tv, take-out are a few examples. That said, wages have stagnated in the past few decades and that is a real concern.

tarheeldan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4519 on: June 09, 2016, 11:10:06 AM »
FB acquantaince posts to encourage everyone to get an extended warranty on their next car purchase because her new car had to go in for new repairs and she "would have had a really hard time coming up with the cash to pay repairs". At least she bought used, it sounds like.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4520 on: June 09, 2016, 11:58:00 AM »
I saw a picture almost exactly like that yesterday on my newsfeed too. I mostly rolled my eyes because the person posting it drives a huge truck and their spouse just bought a huge SUV.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4521 on: June 09, 2016, 12:11:22 PM »
APowers, that is a valid concern. My only caveat with such thinking is that the reason many people feel like they are working harder for less is because they are spending way more than their parents did...smartphones, cable tv, take-out are a few examples. That said, wages have stagnated in the past few decades and that is a real concern.

I think that's the disconnect between mustachians and the rest of the world.

Rest of the world: "wages have stagnated, expenses keep going up, that's the whole problem!"
Mustachians: "people aren't taking responsibility for their finances and spending decisions, that's the whole problem!"

IMO: both are right. Wages ARE stagnating, and expenses DO keep rising, and that IS a larger societal issue. At the same time, people are ALSO not taking personal responsibility for their finances.

Personal responsibility will not fix broad societal issues, but it does mean that you'll wind up making the best of a possibly messed-up situation, and you'll be better off than you would otherwise.

That said, I'm pretty sure no one ever suffered from making responsible financial choices...

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4522 on: June 09, 2016, 12:37:30 PM »

Rest of the world: "wages have stagnated, expenses keep going up, that's the whole problem!"
Mustachians: "people aren't taking responsibility for their finances and spending decisions, that's the whole problem!"

IMO: both are right. Wages ARE stagnating, and expenses DO keep rising, and that IS a larger societal issue. At the same time, people are ALSO not taking personal responsibility for their finances.

Personal responsibility will not fix broad societal issues, but it does mean that you'll wind up making the best of a possibly messed-up situation, and you'll be better off than you would otherwise.

That said, I'm pretty sure no one ever suffered from making responsible financial choices...

See, here's my take: an example of people not taking responsibility for their finances is the now-common habit of increasing spending with stagnant wages. Used to be that you didn't buy things you couldn't afford. Not always, clearly, but pre-credit cards it wasn't really possible to do otherwise.

And you don't *need* to go out to eat or drive a brand-new car or have a smartphone, but the internet has led us to believe that everyone does those things so we have to too.

And that's where mustachianism comes in.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4523 on: June 09, 2016, 01:00:25 PM »

See, here's my take: an example of people not taking responsibility for their finances is the now-common habit of increasing spending with stagnant wages. Used to be that you didn't buy things you couldn't afford. Not always, clearly, but pre-credit cards it wasn't really possible to do otherwise.

And you don't *need* to go out to eat or drive a brand-new car or have a smartphone, but the internet has led us to believe that everyone does those things so we have to too.

Absolutely!

My point is that the two things: stagnant wages and rampant spending, aren't opposing viewpoints. I believe both have occurred. That said, individuals largely have control over one aspect and that is their spending, so that's what I feel more concerned about fixing personally. Then again, my wage is based on my company's profitability, so I guess I'm not a good example.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4524 on: June 09, 2016, 01:01:59 PM »

Keeping up with the Joneses predates the Internet by pretty big margin. I'd say it was more likely caused by TV.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4525 on: June 09, 2016, 01:16:39 PM »

Keeping up with the Joneses predates the Internet by pretty big margin. I'd say it was more likely caused by TV.

I think it is way before TV.
Not coveting your neighbor's (stuff*) is in the Old Testament.

*translations of which stuff varies

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4526 on: June 09, 2016, 01:38:16 PM »

Sure, it's just worse now that people are constantly exposed to new purchases (even if each of your 365 Facebook friends buys something once a year, that's 1 post per day) and the excessive curating effect of social media (where people of course only post their most impressive trips/purchases/achievements).  One of the reasons I rarely use facebook

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4527 on: June 09, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »

Sure, it's just worse now that people are constantly exposed to new purchases (even if each of your 365 Facebook friends buys something once a year, that's 1 post per day) and the excessive curating effect of social media (where people of course only post their most impressive trips/purchases/achievements).  One of the reasons I rarely use facebook

To be fair back in the olden times people saw their neighbors more often and would trade gossip. That's where "chewing the fat" comes from....people coming over to share in your good fortunate by eating the pig that you were able to get. Long story short, I imagine envy was very rampant if your neighbor had better things than you, only there's a good chance that it might be a life-or-death situation as there were safety nets other than charity of your neighbors.

That said, I totally agree with giving up FB and other social media. It's not just purchases, but experiences that can create a desire that is unhealthy for your pocketbook and your well-being.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4528 on: June 09, 2016, 02:02:34 PM »
My point is that the two things: stagnant wages and rampant spending, aren't opposing viewpoints. I believe both have occurred. That said, individuals largely have control over one aspect and that is their spending, so that's what I feel more concerned about fixing personally.

This is my general take as well. Are there issues surrounding inequality and student loan debt, etc? Of course. Should anyone in a rough situation just sit and twiddle their thumbs waiting on God/government/someone to magically fix it? Of course not!

I routinely get bitched at on reddit.com/r/personalfinance for suggesting that someone with 100K student loan debt making 20K should make more money. Usually people go on and on talking about for profit schools and how our parents in the 1970s had it so much easier and blah blah blah. Maybe that's all true. But it does nothing to fix the problem at hand.

You can spend all day thinking about the way things ought to be or you can accept that not everything is perfect and figure out what steps you should take to improve your personal situation.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4529 on: June 09, 2016, 02:07:59 PM »
My point is that the two things: stagnant wages and rampant spending, aren't opposing viewpoints. I believe both have occurred. That said, individuals largely have control over one aspect and that is their spending, so that's what I feel more concerned about fixing personally.

This is my general take as well. Are there issues surrounding inequality and student loan debt, etc? Of course. Should anyone in a rough situation just sit and twiddle their thumbs waiting on God/government/someone to magically fix it? Of course not!

I routinely get bitched at on reddit.com/r/personalfinance for suggesting that someone with 100K student loan debt making 20K should make more money. Usually people go on and on talking about for profit schools and how our parents in the 1970s had it so much easier and blah blah blah. Maybe that's all true. But it does nothing to fix the problem at hand.

You can spend all day thinking about the way things ought to be or you can accept that not everything is perfect and figure out what steps you should take to improve your personal situation.

Yes!! That was actually kinda my point - like, even if the system is a mess, there's nothing stopping you from doing the best you can within that system.would you do better in another system? Sure! Maybe! But since you're in this one, why not do what you can anyway, all while hoping it gets fixed?worst case scenario is that you're gonna do better...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4530 on: June 09, 2016, 02:10:35 PM »

Absolutely! A good friend of mine has a ton of student debt, but she's a teacher and her school district pays off student loans for teachers if they work ___ years (can't recall the number), so she's doing that. I don't think she likes her posting, but for the salary plus debt forgiveness she figures that it's way too good to pass up.

Another good friend had student loans from college and graduate school for architecture and her response was to keep a strict budget that she never budged from until it was cleared out. She managed to clear it in 2.5 years by doing so. Now she's saving up to buy a house in cash, though I don't think she's going to be as restrictive this time around. She's also someone that is perfectly willing to call people out on their bullshit.

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #4531 on: June 09, 2016, 05:42:05 PM »
I've got one.

Girl about my age (young 20s) posted a picture of the shiny new 2016 Jeep Patriot she just leased.  It's not as crazy as some of the cars out there but she's single, lives alone, and never drives off paved city streets.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4532 on: June 10, 2016, 09:10:19 AM »

I'm still not sure about that. People (Americans) still (as of 2014) watch WAY more TV (~3 hours per week) than they spend on the computer for leisure (~30 minutes per week). Which is actually extremely surprising to me, but they're exposed to WAY more consumerism in 3 hours of TV than in 30 minutes of computer time. Source: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.t11.htm

Now, I'm not sure if smart phone use falls into computer time, but the fact remains that TV watching comprises at least half of the average American's leisure time. Recall that most nonMustachian Americans haven't cut the cable yet.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4533 on: June 10, 2016, 09:16:12 AM »

I'm still not sure about that. People (Americans) still (as of 2014) watch WAY more TV (~3 hours per week) than they spend on the computer for leisure (~30 minutes per week). Which is actually extremely surprising to me, but they're exposed to WAY more consumerism in 3 hours of TV than in 30 minutes of computer time. Source: http://www.bls.gov/news.release/atus.t11.htm

Now, I'm not sure if smart phone use falls into computer time, but the fact remains that TV watching comprises at least half of the average American's leisure time. Recall that most nonMustachian Americans haven't cut the cable yet.

I believe that's hours per day, not per week.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4534 on: June 10, 2016, 09:21:19 AM »

I believe that's hours per day, not per week.
Oops, that's correct. My brain switches off when I see charts with numbers in them. It's a survival mechanism.

Regardless, that doesn't change the fact that half of all leisure time is TV, whereas Internet/computer use is much, much lower in comparison.

BDWW

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4535 on: June 10, 2016, 12:18:23 PM »

Yes!! That was actually kinda my point - like, even if the system is a mess, there's nothing stopping you from doing the best you can within that system.would you do better in another system? Sure! Maybe! But since you're in this one, why not do what you can anyway, all while hoping it gets fixed?worst case scenario is that you're gonna do better...

The colloquial response to such a situation around here is "Wish in one hand, sh*t in the other, and see which fills up faster."

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4536 on: June 10, 2016, 02:01:15 PM »

This is kind of how I feel.  I grew up in the 70s/80s, and I watched a LOT of TV while doing homework.  Hours a day really.  But we only had 3-4 channels.

So, I watched Brady Bunch, MASH, shows like that. They weren't over the top.

And then I remember watching 90210 and Fresh Prince - but by then I was in college and I think we all knew it was over-the-top fake.  At least for a country girl from Western PA.

TV now seems like "everyone is middle class" but they aren't.  At least we had Roseanne.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4537 on: June 10, 2016, 03:50:12 PM »
And then I remember watching 90210 and Fresh Prince - but by then I was in college and I think we all knew it was over-the-top fake.  At least for a country girl from Western PA.

TV now seems like "everyone is middle class" but they aren't.  At least we had Roseanne.

I love Fresh Prince, but I thought they established pretty well that this was an upper class family. It wasn't pretending that lifestyle was "normal".  Friends to me is the ultimate suspension of disbelief. Half of them were unemployed most of the time living in huge Manhattan apartments.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4538 on: June 10, 2016, 04:16:11 PM »

I love Fresh Prince, but I thought they established pretty well that this was an upper class family. It wasn't pretending that lifestyle was "normal".  Friends to me is the ultimate suspension of disbelief. Half of them were unemployed most of the time living in huge Manhattan apartments.
Oh my, yes. Don't get me wrong, I love Friends and understand it's comedy.

The most unbelievable part for me was when Joey and Chandler have a falling out, and Chandler reminds the audience that he has been paying Joey's part of the rent for years like it's just a moderate favor.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4539 on: June 10, 2016, 04:38:43 PM »

Oh my, yes. Don't get me wrong, I love Friends and understand it's comedy.

The most unbelievable part for me was when Joey and Chandler have a falling out, and Chandler reminds the audience that he has been paying Joey's part of the rent for years like it's just a moderate favor.

Chandler makes a LOT of money as a transponster, so it's no big deal

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4540 on: June 10, 2016, 09:12:15 PM »
http://www.movoto.com/blog/novelty-real-estate/sitcom-cribs/ Which TV characters could afford their apartments

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4541 on: June 10, 2016, 10:24:41 PM »
http://www.movoto.com/blog/novelty-real-estate/sitcom-cribs/ Which TV characters could afford their apartments

Full house was in the 80s though... SF was probably cheaper

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4542 on: June 10, 2016, 10:54:13 PM »

That's an understatement if ever I heard one.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4543 on: June 11, 2016, 01:16:51 AM »

Sorry, I meant full house was LIKE, TOTALLY set in the 80s

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4544 on: June 13, 2016, 06:30:46 AM »

They are saying that Danny in Full House makes half what the Winslows did in Family Matters and just a bit more than Homer Jay Simpson?  Somehow I always thought that Danny had some family money or did well before the shows time too.

Under sources they list only the page the chart is on.  Are there good public data on income by occupation over the last few decades and housing prices?  Was the 'analysis' done in today's dollars or 80's?

I probably have better things to be thinking about today...

crispy

« Reply #4545 on: June 13, 2016, 07:08:09 AM »

They are saying that Danny in Full House makes half what the Winslows did in Family Matters and just a bit more than Homer Jay Simpson?  Somehow I always thought that Danny had some family money or did well before the shows time too.

Under sources they list only the page the chart is on.  Are there good public data on income by occupation over the last few decades and housing prices?  Was the 'analysis' done in today's dollars or 80's?

He was a widower so I always assumed that he received life insurance after his wife died. And yes, I have spent way too much time thinking about the lives of sitcom characters.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:24:01 AM by crispy »

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4546 on: June 13, 2016, 08:25:08 AM »

Maybe you should unfriend her because you obviously despise her and her "brood".

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4547 on: June 13, 2016, 08:29:24 AM »

For the Simpsons, they were gifted the house by Grandpa Abe.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4548 on: June 13, 2016, 09:09:56 AM »
As fun as it is to giggle about how (un)realistic TV people's standards of living are compared to what a real person could afford or actually do, isn't that part of the point of the entertainment? On TV, the finances are just as fake as the tits and the eyelashes.

LazyBones

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4549 on: June 13, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
A young family that is friends with my DW and I recently sold their home and moved in with the parents to save money to pay off debts and get back on their feet.
A couple of weeks ago, they traded in one of their cars and purchased a slightly used minivan.
On top of that, one of them also just recently left their job that was close to home and got a new job that is about 45 minutes away.  I don't think there was much of a pay increase, if any.

Over the weekend on Facebook, I saw a post where they decided to drive 3 hours one way to go on a shopping trip.