Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081856 times)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4250 on: April 24, 2016, 03:52:41 PM »
I have a facebook friend who regularly complains about money, has a small child, and works as a receptionist is buying a very expensive savannah cat.  It's a cross between a house cat and a Serval(a wild animal).  The cat costs $3000.
Oh man I hope he researched that breed or he'll be in for a surprise. And I really hope the small child has been taught how to behave with cats.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4251 on: April 24, 2016, 04:21:53 PM »
I have a facebook friend who regularly complains about money, has a small child, and works as a receptionist is buying a very expensive savannah cat.  It's a cross between a house cat and a Serval(a wild animal).  The cat costs $3000.

What could possibly go wrong with this idea? Small child, mostly wild predator, not enough money to provide a proper wild home for the cat... The mind boggles!

You might want to offer this link to your poor benighted friend before she makes a serious mistake.

http://bigcatrescue.org/hybrid-facts/

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4252 on: April 24, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »

What could possibly go wrong with this idea? Small child, mostly wild predator, not enough money to provide a proper wild home for the cat... The mind boggles!

You might want to offer this link to your poor benighted friend before she makes a serious mistake.

The one she is getting is 1/4 Serval and she claims to have spent the last year researching exhaustively, so hopefully she knows what she is doing.  The child is 7 or 8 so it probably won't be too messed with by the cat, I'm more concerned about their existing cat.  She's an acquaintance at best, so I doubt anything I brought up would be listened to.  Somebody commented on one of her posts about it saying "be careful, I hope you know what you are getting into" and she brushed them off.  Good articles though. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 05:00:19 PM by druth »

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4253 on: April 24, 2016, 05:10:41 PM »

The one she is getting is 1/4 Serval and she claims to have spent the last year researching exhaustively, so hopefully she knows what she is doing.  The child is 7 or 8 so it probably won't be too messed with by the cat.  She's an acquaintance at best, so I doubt anything I brought up would be listened to.  Good article though.

Did you read the part where the cats have been known to hunt old ladies and German shepherds? I'm thinking an 8 year old is probably less able to take care of himself in a fight than a German shepherd. But maybe she has a ninja 8 year old. Or is tired of having an 8 year old at all and hopes the cat kills him.

I understand your reluctance to get involved with stupid choices by acquaintances. I don't generally share my opinions with people I think are making dumb choices either. But you might want to share the article just in case she hasn't read it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4254 on: April 26, 2016, 12:15:39 PM »
Hmm... Plan B.  I never heard of it until I googled it. To me, Plan B is what you do when your first idea doesn't work out.

Well, yeah. Typically Plan A involves a condom (or other common forms of birth control). And Plan B is completely ineffective if the woman is pregnant when she takes it, so a pregnancy is still possible (though apparently if taken within 24 hours it's 95% effective).

Will also make you sick as a dog for a good 48 hours, so it's really only something you take able cause plan a didn't work.

Yeah I was shocked when I heard that and became more serious about ensuring that Plan A would always be first and foremost on our minds.

The vicious side effects are not widely publicized, but so far as I know there's zero research effort being put forth to create a version without them. There's no economic incentive to do so, because women who don't want to become pregnant will take almost any risk and endure a great deal of pain and hardship. That means that investing R&D dollars in a less painful version will not result in additional product sales. Also, a couple days' worth of pain and violent illness is considered by many to be a socially acceptable punishment for a woman who does not wish to become pregnant as a result of having had sex.

Yeah, a few days of hell, $75 bucks and a low chance of success.  I'm glad it's around, but...

I didn't feel that terrible, maybe 95% rather than 100%. Totally manageable. Guess it depends on the person.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4255 on: April 26, 2016, 12:19:35 PM »
Oh man I hope he researched that breed or he'll be in for a surprise. And I really hope the small child has been taught how to behave with cats.

Never mind teaching the kid - that is not a domesticated animal and shouldn't be a pet at all. Stupid humans.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4256 on: April 26, 2016, 12:34:29 PM »
Hmm... Plan B.  I never heard of it until I googled it. To me, Plan B is what you do when your first idea doesn't work out.

Well, yeah. Typically Plan A involves a condom (or other common forms of birth control). And Plan B is completely ineffective if the woman is pregnant when she takes it, so a pregnancy is still possible (though apparently if taken within 24 hours it's 95% effective).

Will also make you sick as a dog for a good 48 hours, so it's really only something you take able cause plan a didn't work.

Yeah I was shocked when I heard that and became more serious about ensuring that Plan A would always be first and foremost on our minds.

The vicious side effects are not widely publicized, but so far as I know there's zero research effort being put forth to create a version without them. There's no economic incentive to do so, because women who don't want to become pregnant will take almost any risk and endure a great deal of pain and hardship. That means that investing R&D dollars in a less painful version will not result in additional product sales. Also, a couple days' worth of pain and violent illness is considered by many to be a socially acceptable punishment for a woman who does not wish to become pregnant as a result of having had sex.

Yeah, a few days of hell, $75 bucks and a low chance of success.  I'm glad it's around, but...

I didn't feel that terrible, maybe 95% rather than 100%. Totally manageable. Guess it depends on the person.
I think the problem in that it drops to 61% from 48-72hrs and in many states it is almost impossible to get within 24hrs based on the current laws.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4257 on: April 26, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »

I think the problem in that it drops to 61% from 48-72hrs and in many states it is almost impossible to get within 24hrs based on the current laws.

You misinterpreted Sibley. Sibley was talking about how she felt after taking Plan B (since TheGrimSquaker was talking about "the vicious side effects"). She was not talking about the success rate of Plan B.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4258 on: April 27, 2016, 02:33:23 AM »

Wait where are you getting the low chance of success from?

Yeah, really not sure where that came from.

"If you take it within 72 hours after you've had unprotected sex, Plan B One-Step can reduce the risk of pregnancy by up to 89%. If you take Plan B One-Step within 24 hours, it is about 95% effective."

For me the side effects were like the worst PMS I've had in my life, complete with mood swings, nausea and headache. Makes sense considering its basically a giant dose of hormones all at once.
Yeah, it was not as bad as my menstrual cycle. Nauseous. My mood was bad anyway from cndom breaking and needing to do something about it.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4259 on: April 27, 2016, 12:12:14 PM »

Wait where are you getting the low chance of success from?

Yeah, really not sure where that came from.

"If you take it within 72 hours after you've had unprotected sex, Plan B One-Step can reduce the risk of pregnancy by up to 89%. If you take Plan B One-Step within 24 hours, it is about 95% effective."

For me the side effects were like the worst PMS I've had in my life, complete with mood swings, nausea and headache. Makes sense considering its basically a giant dose of hormones all at once.
Yeah, it was not as bad as my menstrual cycle. Nauseous. My mood was bad anyway from cndom breaking and needing to do something about it.

Yes, I was referring to how I felt, not about the efficiency of it. Though my boyfriend felt worse (I hope), since the whole episode was 100% his preventable fault.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4260 on: April 27, 2016, 12:39:57 PM »

Got to love that it is socially acceptable to punish women for having sex...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4261 on: April 27, 2016, 01:20:51 PM »

Got to love that it is socially acceptable to punish women for having sex...

Always has been; most likely always will be. I can't help but notice that there hasn't been even so much as a squeak of complaint from the female population.

• Some are unaware of the side effects since they have never needed the medicine.
  • Others are so pathetically grateful that the medical community has finally thrown them a bone, they'll take whatever they can get.
  • Some are concerned that if they asked for improvement for any reason whatsoever, legislators would use it as an excuse to take the medicine away completely. Finally,
  • There are always the self-righteous few women who are convinced that other women are Bad People who should be punished for seeking out something that they, themselves, are convinced they will never need. (Until, of course, they need it themselves, at which point they make up a nice little story about how they, or their daughters, are the noble exception to the rule.)

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4262 on: April 27, 2016, 02:32:57 PM »

I've never heard this.  When I had need for a "plan b", my gyn told me to just take a few extra (can't remember, maybe one or two extra for a day or two) of my regular prescription contraceptive.  No upset stomach.  No ill effects.  I expected to feel something, but NOPE.  All was perfectly normal.  Anyway, not all contraceptives work the same way and only some pills can be used to double up for use as emergency contraception, so be sure to speak with your GYN before attempting this on your own. 

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4263 on: April 28, 2016, 03:09:32 AM »
I've taken the morning after pill a couple of times and not had any side effects, although I know some of my friends said they felt rough afterwards.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4264 on: April 28, 2016, 07:07:07 AM »
I've taken the morning after pill a couple of times and not had any side effects, although I know some of my friends said they felt rough afterwards.

I've never had to take it myself, but my old roommate did - cramps of doom, headaches, some nausea. Not, like, world-ending crap, but generally feeling super run-down and 'staying on the couch with TV and advil and a hot water bottle, come get me in 2 days'. Not something I'd voluntarily sign up for.

Nickyd£g

• Stubble
« Reply #4265 on: April 28, 2016, 07:29:18 AM »

I've taken it once and had mild cramps. That was it. I got it the next morning from my dr, for free.  I live in Scotland, where all prescriptions are fee.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4266 on: April 28, 2016, 07:33:14 AM »

I've taken it once and had mild cramps. That was it. I got it the next morning from my dr, for free.  I live in Scotland, where all prescriptions are fee.

Wait you need a prescription for that? Wouldn't the requirement of getting a prescription hinder women from getting the pill quickly? This seems kinda strange to me.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4267 on: April 28, 2016, 07:43:41 AM »

Wait you need a prescription for that? Wouldn't the requirement of getting a prescription hinder women from getting the pill quickly? This seems kinda strange to me.

In the U.S. you needed a prescription for it until very recently.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4268 on: April 28, 2016, 07:51:03 AM »
I'm in England, but as far as I know, you can get the morning after pill free from most pharmacies here.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4269 on: April 28, 2016, 08:02:33 AM »

I've never had to take it myself, but my old roommate did - cramps of doom, headaches, some nausea. Not, like, world-ending crap, but generally feeling super run-down and 'staying on the couch with TV and advil and a hot water bottle, come get me in 2 days'. Not something I'd voluntarily sign up for.

Not to derail, but...I've heard things like this before (usually regular period related), and always wondered: what exactly do you DO with the hot water bottle??

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4270 on: April 28, 2016, 08:07:59 AM »

Not to derail, but...I've heard things like this before (usually regular period related), and always wondered: what exactly do you DO with the hot water bottle??

A hot water bottle is basically the same thing as an electric heating pad.  Heat soothes pain.  You place it on your uterus (or back, if that's where you get cramps) to relieve pain from cramping.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4271 on: April 28, 2016, 08:10:46 AM »
I'm in England, but as far as I know, you can get the morning after pill free from most pharmacies here.
Yep. All contraception is free in England, other prescriptions might be approx £8 depending on circumstances (eg cap if you need a lot in a year, free under 18, free if on certain benefits, free if pregnant etc).

It's an over the counter medication, as I understand it, so the person providing it has to check your medical history, look for any contra-indications with other medications etc. You can't just pick it up off the shelf and self-administer.

One of the mysteries to me about the distain some American's I have known had for 'socialised medicine' is that they claim they don't want the government controlling what drugs / treatments they can have access too. Yet, no-one has ever tried to legislate me out of receiving contraception or imposing vaginal ultrasounds on people requesting terminations. Doctors make the decisions. The government just pays for it (through our taxes). I'm not trying to start an argument, I just think there are misconceptions about how involved the government are in our system. And I have been constantly surprised how involved US legislators (state and federal) are in a system they don't even wholly pay for.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4272 on: April 28, 2016, 08:15:22 AM »

Fill it with super-hot water and put it on your stomach - like, lower stomach, just above the pubic bone. It helps with cramps A LOT (usually more than advil or aleve).

Bad cramps, for the men here, basically feel like having an iron railroad spike dug into the bit of skin between the hipbone and stomach (like, where the ovaries are, if you look at a diagram...) right through your stomach and into the lower back. Basically, if it's really bad, you wind up curled up around the pain in a fetal position. Advil takes a half-hour to kick in, so you take the advil (because effing OW), but the hot water bottle is a muscle relaxant that really helps the pain immediately... but once the heat goes away, the pain comes back.

Hot baths help, too - same logic.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4273 on: April 28, 2016, 08:15:51 AM »

In the U.S. you needed a prescription for it until very recently.

I just looked this up as I was unaware of the history of plan B.

For those 17 and older, it became available OTC back in 2009, which I certainly do not consider  "very recent"
For those under 17 it became available OTC in 2013, which could be considered very recent.

March 23, 2009: Federal judge rules that the FDA must make Plan B available OTC to consumers 17 and older within 30 days and urges the agency to consider removing all age restrictions. Read the full text of the decision here
April 22, 2009: The FDA announces that Plan B may be sold OTC to women and men aged 17 and older
June 20, 2013: FDA approves Plan B One-Step for unrestricted sale on the shelf.

Taken from http://ec.princeton.edu/pills/planbhistory.html

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4274 on: April 28, 2016, 08:16:48 AM »

That was kinda the point. Now that it's no longer needing a prescription, its suggested that women keep some on hand so it is available when needed and you don't need to go crazy trying to find a pharmacy...etc

Wait why would that be the point? It would only serve to reduce the effectiveness of Plan B.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4275 on: April 28, 2016, 08:22:21 AM »

That was kinda the point. Now that it's no longer needing a prescription, its suggested that women keep some on hand so it is available when needed and you don't need to go crazy trying to find a pharmacy...etc

Wait why would that be the point? It would only serve to reduce the effectiveness of Plan B.

Well, if you're an evangelical christian who is convinced that it either causes abortion, or will encourage women/teens to have sex for non-procreative purposes, then making it difficult to access (or to access in time) is logical. (Note: I am NOT smearing all evangelical Christians, but in this case, the most outspoken opponents to the legalization of Plan B identified as such, so...)

I mean, it's shitty and wrong and I disagree with every aspect of it, but at least they're consistent?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4276 on: April 28, 2016, 08:25:13 AM »
It's an over the counter medication, as I understand it, so the person providing it has to check your medical history, look for any contra-indications with other medications etc. You can't just pick it up off the shelf and self-administer.

You're using confusing terminology here. Or maybe the British definition of over the counter is different

I have never been asked for my medical history when buying OTC medicine. I have self administered all OTC medicine I've bought.

There are sometimes OTC medicines that are stored behind the counter because they can be abused in an addictive manner. All that happens though is you ask for the medicine and they ask for your driver's license or other form of ID. Even in this case the pharmacist doesn't ask for anything more - no questions about medical history or anything like that.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4277 on: April 28, 2016, 08:26:52 AM »

Well, if you're an evangelical christian who is convinced that it either causes abortion, or will encourage women/teens to have sex for non-procreative purposes, then making it difficult to access (or to access in time) is logical. (Note: I am NOT smearing all evangelical Christians, but in this case, the most outspoken opponents to the legalization of Plan B identified as such, so...)

I mean, it's shitty and wrong and I disagree with every aspect of it, but at least they're consistent?

Ah okay. I was conflating this to actually be your opinion. My mistake.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4278 on: April 28, 2016, 08:53:01 AM »

You're using confusing terminology here. Or maybe the British definition of over the counter is different

I have never been asked for my medical history when buying OTC medicine. I have self administered all OTC medicine I've bought.

There are sometimes OTC medicines that are stored behind the counter because they can be abused in an addictive manner. All that happens though is you ask for the medicine and they ask for your driver's license or other form of ID. Even in this case the pharmacist doesn't ask for anything more - no questions about medical history or anything like that.

Yeah, different usage, I think. Here you don't have to provide ID at all. You just need to answer certain questions - are you x drug? Do you have a history of y condition? (Or does the person you are buying them for).

They keep drugs that can be abused, and also ones that can be dangerous when used in conjunction with other medication behind the counter so that you have to answer these questions to get them. I'm not sure if anyone who works in the pharmacy can sell them to you - I think it may be only people with certain qualifications, though not necessarily an actual Pharmacist. I could be wrong about all this though.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4279 on: April 28, 2016, 09:04:44 AM »

Yeah, different usage, I think. Here you don't have to provide ID at all. You just need to answer certain questions - are you x drug? Do you have a history of y condition? (Or does the person you are buying them for).

They keep drugs that can be abused, and also ones that can be dangerous when used in conjunction with other medication behind the counter so that you have to answer these questions to get them. I'm not sure if anyone who works in the pharmacy can sell them to you - I think it may be only people with certain qualifications, though not necessarily an actual Pharmacist. I could be wrong about all this though.

Just to clarify, the vast majority of OTC meds here do not need an ID. And none require a questionnaire.

As an American having to answer questions about my medical history to buy an OTC medicine is strange.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4280 on: April 28, 2016, 09:05:47 AM »
Ok, wait. The only drugs my pharmacy stores behind the counter are (1) actual need-a-prescription drugs and (2) pseudoephedrine because it's used to make meth. Plan B used to be over-the-counter but age restricted, so it was behind the counter and no longer is.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4281 on: April 28, 2016, 09:09:39 AM »

For the US "over the counter" are the things that are NOT "behind the counter".  You do not need to talk to a pharmacist at all to get an OTC medicine, you just go pick it off the shelf.   So there is no drug counseling to see if you have any interactions or condition histories- that only happens with prescription medicine.

The exception is drugs that can easily be used to make meth.  Those still require no prescription, but the sales are monitored. That is where you have to show someone in the pharmacy department your ID, and the number is written down for the state to monitor, and there might be a limit to how much you can buy at one time- but the pharmacist doesn't talk to you about it, or restrict the individual sale to only someone with a condition that needs it.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4282 on: April 28, 2016, 09:16:07 AM »
Quote from: johnny847

I just looked this up as I was unaware of the history of plan B.

For those 17 and older, it became available OTC back in 2009, which I certainly do not consider  "very recent"
For those under 17 it became available OTC in 2013, which could be considered very recent.

I suppose that's fair. I guess I was subconsciously referring to 2013. Last time I needed it was before I was 17. As a teenager, just buying feminine supplies and condoms is an odyssey of embarrassment and shame (or at least it was for me and some of my friends). Having to get a script for Plan B was exponentially worse--fortunately the local Planned Parenthood could both write and fill it. Plus I suspect that as most women age, they get both less embarrassed and less stupid so it's less of an issue.

But it's a question of why was a prescription required to begin with? And I suspect it goes right back to the women (and probably even more men) who clutched their pearls and had vapors at the thought of other women having healthy sex lives. And the rumors that it was an "abortion drug."
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:17:38 AM by Inaya »

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4283 on: April 28, 2016, 09:20:29 AM »

Fill it with super-hot water and put it on your stomach - like, lower stomach, just above the pubic bone. It helps with cramps A LOT (usually more than advil or aleve).

Bad cramps, for the men here, basically feel like having an iron railroad spike dug into the bit of skin between the hipbone and stomach (like, where the ovaries are, if you look at a diagram...) right through your stomach and into the lower back. Basically, if it's really bad, you wind up curled up around the pain in a fetal position. Advil takes a half-hour to kick in, so you take the advil (because effing OW), but the hot water bottle is a muscle relaxant that really helps the pain immediately... but once the heat goes away, the pain comes back.

Well you learn something new everyday. Thanks, I may just try it.

I do actually have terrible back problems and have never had success with heat (or ice) in relieving any of it, so I guess I am generally skeptical.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4284 on: April 28, 2016, 09:29:23 AM »
But it's a question of why was a prescription required to begin with? And I suspect it goes right back to the women (and probably even more men) who clutched their pearls and had vapors at the thought of other women having healthy sex lives. And the rumors that it was an "abortion drug."

Well something strange definitely went on with the process of approving Plan B for OTC status, but if anything, Congress seems to have been for it at the time (which mind you was majority Republican at the time) not against it.

Obviously this is not the same as the women you allude to, but apparently conservative interests at the time thought the initial FDA decision to deny OTC status was not right in some way shape or form.

April 2003: Application submitted to switch Plan B from Rx to OTC; FDA decision due February 2004
December 2003: FDA convenes advisory committee, which votes 23-4 in favor of taking Plan B OTC
February 2004: FDA announces that it will delay decision on Plan B up to 90 days
May 2004: FDA rejects application to switch Plan B from Rx to OTC, citing lack on data on females younger than 16
June 2004: Congress requests report on FDA decision not to switch Plan B from Rx to OTC (report released in October 2005). Report concludes that decision on Plan B was "highly unusual", and may well have been made months before it was formally announced

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #4285 on: April 28, 2016, 09:10:41 PM »

I usually reference this scene in Spaceballs when describing menstrual cramps.

Yes, I know that is itself an Alien reference.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 09:12:55 PM by maco »

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4286 on: April 29, 2016, 09:02:56 AM »

You know what kind of menstrual cramps I particularly love? The kind so bad that the pain shoots all the way down your thighs! No lie, I once had an attack so bad and sudden that I abandoned a pot cooking on the stove by suddenly sinking to the linoleum, curling into a ball, and stayed on the floor rocking and hyperventilating for the 3 or 4 minutes that it took for that round to ease off. Every time I think I might go off the pill, I remember those days, and think...maybe I'll stay on it another year LOL.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4287 on: April 29, 2016, 09:16:46 AM »

You know what kind of menstrual cramps I particularly love? The kind so bad that the pain shoots all the way down your thighs! No lie, I once had an attack so bad and sudden that I abandoned a pot cooking on the stove by suddenly sinking to the linoleum, curling into a ball, and stayed on the floor rocking and hyperventilating for the 3 or 4 minutes that it took for that round to ease off. Every time I think I might go off the pill, I remember those days, and think...maybe I'll stay on it another year LOL.
Mine were often like that as a teenager. I had to take the day off school, and my mom would give me aspirin washed down with a small glass of white wine. Wine dulled the pain and put me to sleep so the aspirin could kick in. I want to get off the pill, but it has been life changing.

Squirrel away

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4288 on: April 29, 2016, 09:20:09 AM »

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #4289 on: April 29, 2016, 10:23:52 AM »

Mine were often like that as a teenager. I had to take the day off school, and my mom would give me aspirin washed down with a small glass of white wine. Wine dulled the pain and put me to sleep so the aspirin could kick in. I want to get off the pill, but it has been life changing.

i will now be adding white wine to my current regimen of pills and heating pads

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4290 on: April 29, 2016, 10:56:21 AM »

Well, the traditional remedy is a glass of sherry...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4291 on: April 29, 2016, 11:01:00 AM »

Well, the traditional remedy is a glass of sherry...

Reminds of this dialogue from the first season of West Wing

Lord Marbury : You know, there are some marvelous flu remedies known in the certain remote parts of the subcontinent. Licorice root, for instance, combined with bamboo sap and a strong shot of whiskey. Ginger root, also, mixed with, uh, citrus peel.
Bartlett : And a strong shot of whiskey?
Lord Marbury : Actually, you can leave everything out except the shot of whiskey.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4292 on: April 29, 2016, 05:13:49 PM »

Yup. Agony, fainting, day(s) off school every month... I got on the pill at 15 when my mother marched me to the doctor and said, "She is taking her GCSEs next year and I want her to be able to stand upright on exam day. You are prescribing her the pill." It was a miracle drug for me. Changed my life, really. We're sort of starting to think about maybe having children at some point, and "Oh no, what if I go off the pill and the PERIODS OF PAIN AND DOOM come back??" is a big thought. I'm told that they usually don't come back as bad, but it's a helluva risk.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #4293 on: April 29, 2016, 06:48:01 PM »
I had periods of doom, 2 days of every month pretty much miserable.  Turns out I had endometriosis, took 22 years to get diagnosed.  If you have terrible pain monthly, look it up, it's fairly common but very difficult to diagnose.

Now I have no uterus, I couldn't be happier!  I figure all told that about 2 years of my life were lost to pain.  Fucking waste.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #4294 on: April 30, 2016, 07:36:39 AM »
big Facebook debate here over night, our property values are increasing exponentially, so our property taxes are increasing as well. but taxes are capped at 10% growth per year, and values are going faster than that. And everyone is furious. It's simple math. my house is up like 20k and it's going to cost me $500 this year. I would do unforgivable things to get that rate of return with any of my other investments.

but so many of the people in this town bought more house than they can afford, and have 2 leased new SUVs or Luxury sedans in their driveway. I drive my toyota past them on my way to work, thinking about how at this rate I can Fire early and move to Tuscany instead of rural PA...

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4295 on: April 30, 2016, 08:47:32 AM »
I had periods of doom, 2 days of every month pretty much miserable.  Turns out I had endometriosis, took 22 years to get diagnosed.  If you have terrible pain monthly, look it up, it's fairly common but very difficult to diagnose.

Now I have no uterus, I couldn't be happier!  I figure all told that about 2 years of my life were lost to pain.  Fucking waste.

Yeah...I have PCOS, so my hormones are all screwy anyway, and that likely accounts for some of the pain when off the pill.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4296 on: April 30, 2016, 09:27:09 AM »
Just a word of encouragement--I don't think my periods were ever as bad as some of the ladies on here, but they did occasionally move me to tears and interfere with my daily activities and/or sleep. Went on the pill from ages 18-27. There was a year and a half of wonkiness (but not discomfort), then I got pregnant. Post-childbearing, they did not come back NEARLY as bad. I rarely experience cramps at all, just some headaches and crankiness.

And actually, the Pill was causing a lot of low-level irritations that I didn't realize until they were gone--moodiness, general malaise.

I think a lot of people level out in adulthood, maybe? Like it's worst as teens?

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4297 on: April 30, 2016, 06:16:46 PM »
big Facebook debate here over night, our property values are increasing exponentially, so our property taxes are increasing as well. but taxes are capped at 10% growth per year, and values are going faster than that. And everyone is furious. It's simple math. my house is up like 20k and it's going to cost me $500 this year. I would do unforgivable things to get that rate of return with any of my other investments.

but so many of the people in this town bought more house than they can afford, and have 2 leased new SUVs or Luxury sedans in their driveway. I drive my toyota past them on my way to work, thinking about how at this rate I can Fire early and move to Tuscany instead of rural PA...

It is inconceivable to me how some people can set up there lives to be so near the red.  A friend of a friend bought a large house in the country with a long commute and let slip that there budget is setup to be 40$ in the black each month.  WTF he is an engineer too.  Like 40$ is a 50cent increase in gas!  I totally get that bad things happen and some people end up in trouble for bizarre hard to plain for events, but if you are a middle aged professional and cant shrug off 500$/year you are doing something wrong. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4298 on: April 30, 2016, 07:40:37 PM »

It is inconceivable to me how some people can set up there lives to be so near the red.  A friend of a friend bought a large house in the country with a long commute and let slip that there budget is setup to be 40$ in the black each month.  WTF he is an engineer too.  Like 40$ is a 50cent increase in gas!  I totally get that bad things happen and some people end up in trouble for bizarre hard to plain for events, but if you are a middle aged professional and cant shrug off 500$/year you are doing something wrong.

My wife and I are considering buying a house and are looking at our mortgage/taxes/insurance payment being in the 22-23% of our posttax, post-tithe income. Technically of just my income, too.

It feels like a lot. But... people go absolutely house bonkers. I'm sure we could push that to 30% or 35% from the bank perspective.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4299 on: April 30, 2016, 09:19:43 PM »

My wife and I are considering buying a house and are looking at our mortgage/taxes/insurance payment being in the 22-23% of our posttax, post-tithe income. Technically of just my income, too.

It feels like a lot. But... people go absolutely house bonkers. I'm sure we could push that to 30% or 35% from the bank perspective.

More than that, from a bank perspective. They're ridiculous, and approve people for way more than they can afford with any security margin.

We have a big house in the country with a 45 minute commute and good but not great salaries. But mortgage, taxes, and insurance, all together, are 22-24% of our income, depending on the month. Even that sometimes feels like a whole lot.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!