Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6081920 times)

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #4200 on: April 15, 2016, 09:36:48 AM »
Also, that iPhone was given to him by his job. He smashed his personal phone. The iPhone in question probably has nothing interesting on it at all - presumably he would have smashed it if it did. It's not like ISIS sent it to him.

I heard they were rebranding to iSis and giving everyone new phones ;-)

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #4201 on: April 15, 2016, 10:57:46 AM »
Also, that iPhone was given to him by his job. He smashed his personal phone. The iPhone in question probably has nothing interesting on it at all - presumably he would have smashed it if it did. It's not like ISIS sent it to him.

I wonder about that couple's child, who was just a few months old when this happened. What will his mother tell the child about her parents?
That's what the FBI said yesterday.

sistastache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4202 on: April 18, 2016, 11:24:40 AM »
I saw this one today in a thread about the FBI-Apple iPhone cracking issue:
How sad is it that only terrorists can afford iPhones? The rest of us normal Americans can only afford cheap smartphones.

Oh you poor, unfortunate soul.

In PAIN, in NEED.

This made me literally lol

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #4203 on: April 18, 2016, 02:27:13 PM »
Friend of mine from Seattle who's broke ever since I've known her, and perpetually gripes about rising rent and never having any money: "As soon as monies are stable I'm gonna try Blue Apron"

Me: "Sounds like a novelty for rich people, not us reglar jagoffs. You know I make 10 work lunches and freeze 'em for a buck a piece."

Friend: "..."

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #4204 on: April 18, 2016, 05:45:49 PM »
Friend of mine from Seattle who's broke ever since I've known her, and perpetually gripes about rising rent and never having any money: "As soon as monies are stable I'm gonna try Blue Apron"

Me: "Sounds like a novelty for rich people, not us reglar jagoffs. You know I make 10 work lunches and freeze 'em for a buck a piece."

Your profile says "northern Alabama" but your use of "jagoffs" suggests an origin point much further north. The rocks dahn the crick might be slippy, and then you could land in a jagger bush.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4205 on: April 18, 2016, 06:42:42 PM »
A friend is discussing a holiday she wants to go on (at this stage no set date just asking for advice from people who have been there)

Another friend asks "Didn't you say no holidays for two years, as you wanted to save and pay of credit cards"

first friends response "Its too long away, and who wants to save anyway!"

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4206 on: April 18, 2016, 06:43:55 PM »

Your profile says "northern Alabama" but your use of "jagoffs" suggests an origin point much further north. The rocks dahn the crick might be slippy, and then you could land in a jagger bush.
[/quote]

I heard yinz speaking Pittsburghese. 

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #4207 on: April 18, 2016, 09:10:50 PM »
A friend is discussing a holiday she wants to go on (at this stage no set date just asking for advice from people who have been there)

Another friend asks "Didn't you say no holidays for two years, as you wanted to save and pay of credit cards"

first friends response "Its too long away, and who wants to save anyway!"

This makes me think of a Franklin Covey class I took about fitting all of your priorities (rocks) in a jar. You have large rocks represent project type important things and gravel represent urgent phone calls, emails, stuff like that. People discovered if they put the gravel into the jar first, the big rocks don't fit. Okay, kind of a simple principle but I think this is applicable for retirement and savings goal. I see people all day long saying yes to anything but retirement and staying out of debt. Death by a million cuts. Death by large commutes in giant expensive SUVs. Delayed retirement because of a huge mortgage perpetuated by home equity loans. Is past you going to be happy you got coffee and out to eat food every day? Past you's body certainly won't. You can't say yes to everything, so say yes to what matters. [/end rant]

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4208 on: April 18, 2016, 09:26:43 PM »
I saw a discussion on Facebook today about 2 hour commutes... Apparently it's too expensive to move closer to work. Seriously, there isn't a place with decent rent that could at least cut your commute in half?

We're not even talking California here. I'm pretty sure they're discussing Portland, OR. There probably aren't any two points in all of Oregon that are two hours apart and you can't find equivalent cost housing somewhere in between.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4209 on: April 19, 2016, 08:36:24 AM »
I see people all day long saying yes to anything but retirement and staying out of debt. Death by a million cuts. Death by large commutes in giant expensive SUVs. Delayed retirement because of a huge mortgage perpetuated by home equity loans. Is past you going to be happy you got coffee and out to eat food every day? Past you's body certainly won't. You can't say yes to everything, so say yes to what matters. [/end rant]

But what about enjoying life!!! /s

I completely agree with you. I am able to save a lot of my money and I love my life, I have plenty of fun on the weekends and rarely spend all that much doing so. It helps that I enjoy cooking with my friends and a impromptu dinner party isn't all that costly (certainly less than eating out even for something as rich as scallops with angel hair).

MudDuck

• Stubble
« Reply #4210 on: April 19, 2016, 08:54:59 AM »

I heard yinz speaking Pittsburghese.
[/quote]

I thought that same thing, bein from dahn the Burgh, too. Holla!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4211 on: April 19, 2016, 09:52:08 AM »

Your profile says "northern Alabama" but your use of "jagoffs" suggests an origin point much further north. The rocks dahn the crick might be slippy, and then you could land in a jagge
ah...home
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:37:08 PM by mm1970 »

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4212 on: April 19, 2016, 04:26:25 PM »
My fb friendship with a crazy MLMer is the gift that just keeps giving...

"No thanks, I want something stable. A stable, steady paycheck."

Why not work for your paycheck for a company that won't close its doors and definitely won't lay you off? Plus, you not only get a steady paycheck (when you work for it) but you can grow it exponentially.

As I've said before, this isn't a pipe dream. News like this happens what seems like every week. Why not start a conversation with me on your Plan B? This business is made for all people - men, women, young, middle-age, old. People who don't know anything about skin (me before I started) to Estheticians and Dermatologists.

#Letstalk
#PlanB
#WhyNotYouWhyNotNow
#WhyWait
#PutYourBestFaceForward

Because MLM scams never die? Never get sued into bankruptcy for their business practices? Because pyramid schemes always last forever?

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4213 on: April 20, 2016, 12:17:23 PM »
My fb friendship with a crazy MLMer is the gift that just keeps giving...

"No thanks, I want something stable. A stable, steady paycheck."

Why not work for your paycheck for a company that won't close its doors and definitely won't lay you off? Plus, you not only get a steady paycheck (when you work for it) but you can grow it exponentially.

As I've said before, this isn't a pipe dream. News like this happens what seems like every week. Why not start a conversation with me on your Plan B? This business is made for all people - men, women, young, middle-age, old. People who don't know anything about skin (me before I started) to Estheticians and Dermatologists.

#Letstalk
#PlanB
#WhyNotYouWhyNotNow
#WhyWait
#PutYourBestFaceForward

Because MLM scams never die? Never get sued into bankruptcy for their business practices? Because pyramid schemes always last forever?

I wonder if they know what Plan B brings to mind.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4214 on: April 20, 2016, 02:29:53 PM »
That is literally all I could think of when I read that.

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Or she knows what it is but doesn't think it's at all a common thought because birth control is abortion and abortion is murder, obviously, so no one who she's friends with could ever be in support of either. Her last share was this thing about how "pro-aborts" were showing how evil they are by eating cookies that are shaped like babies and daring to defend this with "dark and disturbing" statements like "Abortion should remain legal because it's constitutionally protected."

https://www.facebook.com/MattWalshBlog/posts/1175314519168323:0

Yeah.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4215 on: April 20, 2016, 03:05:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure the answer is no. Or she knows what it is but doesn't think it's at all a common thought because birth control is abortion and abortion is murder, obviously, so no one who she's friends with could ever be in support of either. Her last share was this thing about how "pro-aborts" were showing how evil they are by eating cookies that are shaped like babies and daring to defend this with "dark and disturbing" statements like "Abortion should remain legal because it's constitutionally protected."

Yeah.

I'm as pro-choice as you can get, but I do find that display in poor taste. Eating fetus cookies & discussing the "prettiness" of a vagina isn't doing much to further abortion rights IMO.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4216 on: April 20, 2016, 06:29:52 PM »

Yeah.

I'm as pro-choice as you can get, but I do find that display in poor taste. Eating fetus cookies & discussing the "prettiness" of a vagina isn't doing much to further abortion rights IMO.

I agree, but don't forget the majority of the people participating in a college pro-rights demonstration are 18 years old. I don't know about you, but I was pretty impressionable and easily led at 18 years old. They aren't the people making the difference.

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4217 on: April 20, 2016, 08:20:45 PM »
True. I'm just glad I got to say "fetus cookies".

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4218 on: April 21, 2016, 09:05:31 AM »
I guess I don't really see how eating a cookie at a political rally is in poor taste, but eating the same cookie at a baby shower or gender reveal party or whatever would be fine. It's deliberately provocative, granted, but I'm OK with provocation generally speaking. 

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4219 on: April 21, 2016, 09:13:08 AM »
I guess I don't really see how eating a cookie at a political rally is in poor taste, but eating the same cookie at a baby shower or gender reveal party or whatever would be fine. It's deliberately provocative, granted, but I'm OK with provocation generally speaking.
If they swapped the salt with the sugar, it would be a pretty poor taste no matter the venue.

What about those gender reveal cakes that are 3-D realistic babies... then you cut into said baby for the reveal? WHY IS THIS OK???

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4220 on: April 21, 2016, 09:21:47 AM »

Because one is "murder" and the other is a display of love?

Do the baby shower fetus cookies have colored icing on the inside? 

/Liked to annoy people when I was pregnant and they'd ask when I get to find out the gender by saying "I guess when he is old enough to tell me what it is."   Unfortunately didn't get that far, now make people uncomfortable because black humor is part of the way I deal with the fact that my son was stillborn.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4221 on: April 21, 2016, 10:21:41 AM »

If you see how it's deliberately provocative, then you see how it's in poor taste. Plenty of people are pro-choice as "the least bad alternative" and that kind of display can only make them question that position.

iowajes, I can't imagine how that felt. I'm glad you're able to deal with it in any way, and I'm sure the people around you feel the same way.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4222 on: April 21, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »
What about those gender reveal cakes that are 3-D realistic babies... then you cut into said baby for the reveal? WHY IS THIS OK???

Seems to me that kind of cake would be more appropriate at a "Congrats on your abortion" party. But that's my dark humor.

Semi-related but still foamy, I was talking to a woman who is the guardian for a 96-year-old woman. (We had met maybe 10 minutes before, but she's a friend of my dad's.) She says "It's going to be a lot of work for awhile, unless I put a pillow over her head. Oh, I'm so sorry, that was in bad taste." So obviously I say "Well, now I see why you and my dad get along so well."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4223 on: April 21, 2016, 10:41:12 AM »
I miss dark humor! I haven't known many people that appreciate it since college.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4224 on: April 21, 2016, 01:42:42 PM »
Hmm... Plan B.  I never heard of it until I googled it. To me, Plan B is what you do when your first idea doesn't work out.

doggyfizzle

• Bristles
« Reply #4225 on: April 21, 2016, 01:51:38 PM »
Eating fetus cookies...

They make those?  Do they have the same benefits as the freeze-dried and capsuled placenta?

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4226 on: April 21, 2016, 01:55:23 PM »
Hmm... Plan B.  I never heard of it until I googled it. To me, Plan B is what you do when your first idea doesn't work out.

Well, yeah. Typically Plan A involves a condom (or other common forms of birth control). And Plan B is completely ineffective if the woman is pregnant when she takes it, so a pregnancy is still possible (though apparently if taken within 24 hours it's 95% effective).

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4227 on: April 21, 2016, 02:22:20 PM »
I mean... still accurate.

+1.  ALso called the morning after pill.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #4228 on: April 22, 2016, 09:03:02 AM »

Your profile says "northern Alabama" but your use of "jagoffs" suggests an origin point much further north. The rocks dahn the crick might be slippy, and then you could land in a jagge
ah...home
Nothing against NorAL, but I'm neither from here nor likely to ever feel completely at home here. If 10 years isn't enough to make me stop feeling out of place whenever I spend more than a week away, I don't think it'll ever happen.
I was born in NJ, near NYC, and mostly grew up in HI but also spent time in TX. I've also lived in WA, IL, NY, GA, MS, and FL. I'm pretty hard to nail down linguistically, to say the least, but a couple of my best friends are in Pittsburgh (one born there, the other a NEPA transplant) and I was just up there.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4229 on: April 22, 2016, 11:58:23 AM »
Found this:
"things multiply quickly when you start buying furniture. I first got a dark aqua sectional sofa - had to have a new end table - which all looked so good I bought an awesome original pix to compliment the group - my old tv cabinet looked so shabby & overstock had the perfect one to match eveything - dark & shapely - just couldn't keep my finger off the "order" button - THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT"

This is not something I would call Mustachian...

AmandaS1989

• Handlebar Stache
  • Ferocious Accounting Beast
« Reply #4230 on: April 22, 2016, 11:59:30 AM »
Found this:
"things multiply quickly when you start buying furniture. I first got a dark aqua sectional sofa - had to have a new end table - which all looked so good I bought an awesome original pix to compliment the group - my old tv cabinet looked so shabby & overstock had the perfect one to match eveything - dark & shapely - just couldn't keep my finger off the "order" button - THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT"

Sounds like a copout for poor impulse control imo

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4231 on: April 22, 2016, 12:19:39 PM »

Well, yeah. Typically Plan A involves a condom (or other common forms of birth control). And Plan B is completely ineffective if the woman is pregnant when she takes it, so a pregnancy is still possible (though apparently if taken within 24 hours it's 95% effective).

Will also make you sick as a dog for a good 48 hours, so it's really only something you take able cause plan a didn't work.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4232 on: April 22, 2016, 01:17:05 PM »

Will also make you sick as a dog for a good 48 hours, so it's really only something you take able cause plan a didn't work.

Yeah I was shocked when I heard that and became more serious about ensuring that Plan A would always be first and foremost on our minds.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #4233 on: April 22, 2016, 01:45:35 PM »

Yeah I was shocked when I heard that and became more serious about ensuring that Plan A would always be first and foremost on our minds.

The vicious side effects are not widely publicized, but so far as I know there's zero research effort being put forth to create a version without them. There's no economic incentive to do so, because women who don't want to become pregnant will take almost any risk and endure a great deal of pain and hardship. That means that investing R&D dollars in a less painful version will not result in additional product sales. Also, a couple days' worth of pain and violent illness is considered by many to be a socially acceptable punishment for a woman who does not wish to become pregnant as a result of having had sex.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4234 on: April 22, 2016, 01:47:04 PM »

The vicious side effects are not widely publicized, but so far as I know there's zero research effort being put forth to create a version without them. There's no economic incentive to do so, because women who don't want to become pregnant will take almost any risk and endure a great deal of pain and hardship. That means that investing R&D dollars in a less painful version will not result in additional product sales. Also, a couple days' worth of pain and violent illness is considered by many to be a socially acceptable punishment for a woman who does not wish to become pregnant as a result of having had sex.

Yeah, a few days of hell, $75 bucks and a low chance of success.  I'm glad it's around, but...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4235 on: April 22, 2016, 01:56:17 PM »
Friend on FB, "Pampering myself because it's my birthday."

I wanted to retort, 'because you don't pamper yourself already?" I see weekly posts about her getting something or another done, or going to a really nice restaurant with friends for 'girl's night out,' or other things. Meanwhile she's been out of work for a few months. I haven't seen anything about her needing money so perhaps she's saved from previous work (doubtful going on past history) or her parents are helping her.

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4236 on: April 22, 2016, 02:00:34 PM »
Found this:

She clearly took the wrong lesson from "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie"

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4237 on: April 22, 2016, 02:14:23 PM »

Yeah, a few days of hell, $75 bucks and a low chance of success.  I'm glad it's around, but...

Wait where are you getting the low chance of success from?

randymarsh

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4238 on: April 22, 2016, 02:35:27 PM »

Yeah it'd be great if it didn't have side effects but is this really an issue? Plan B is just a high dose of a hormone that's used in many daily BC bills. It's not a unique compound created to use as after the fact birth control. Few women are going to be using it more than a few times (I hope), so honestly what is the incentive to make it side effect free? Still less painful than actual child birth I'm sure.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4239 on: April 22, 2016, 02:50:36 PM »

The manufacturer?  " It can prevent pregnancy if taken within 72 hours and preferably within 12 hours of unprotected sex. If you take it within 24 hours of unprotected sex, it is 95% effective. If you take it between 48 and 72 hours of unprotected sex, the efficacy rate is 61%. " http://www.planb.ca/faq.html

It's not the magic bullet people make it out to be.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4240 on: April 22, 2016, 03:09:25 PM »

The manufacturer?  " It can prevent pregnancy if taken within 72 hours and preferably within 12 hours of unprotected sex. If you take it within 24 hours of unprotected sex, it is 95% effective. If you take it between 48 and 72 hours of unprotected sex, the efficacy rate is 61%. " http://www.planb.ca/faq.html

I suppose it depends on what the definition of the word "low" is.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4241 on: April 22, 2016, 04:03:16 PM »

Yeah I'd consider 5% pretty low but I guess onlykelsey disagrees.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4242 on: April 22, 2016, 06:44:06 PM »

95% efficacy within 24 hours is not perfect, but it definitely beats the alternative...

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4243 on: April 22, 2016, 09:16:20 PM »
95% efficacy within 24 hours is not perfect, but it definitely beats the alternative...
Depends on how they calculate efficacy.
If there is only a 5% chance of getting pregnant from a single encounter then it can do nothing and still  be 95% effective.
If it's 95% effective at stopping the 5% risk then you only have a 99.75% chance of  a successful outcome.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4244 on: April 23, 2016, 08:09:02 AM »

the 5% is fine, but if you're traveling/in a conservative place that makes it impossible to get Plan B/etc, the 48 and 72 hour rates are pretty terrifying to me.

Of course, no one is as protected as they think: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/09/14/sunday-review/unplanned-pregnancies.html?_r=0

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4245 on: April 23, 2016, 09:20:52 AM »

the 5% is fine, but if you're traveling/in a conservative place that makes it impossible to get Plan B/etc, the 48 and 72 hour rates are pretty terrifying to me.

Of course, no one is as protected as they think: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/09/14/sunday-review/unplanned-pregnancies.html?_r=0

Sure but it's not the manufacturers fault that Plan B isn't readily available in some locations? It's not designed to conduct an abortion - it's designed to prevent pregnancy. If it did induce an abortion, it would be even harder to access in said locations!
Plan B does one of three things:
  • Temporarily stops the release of an egg from the ovary
  • Prevents fertilization
  • Prevents a fertilized egg from attaching to the uterus
I never said that it's a magic bullet. Even if Plan B acted instantaneously after a woman took it, an egg may have already been released, gotten fertilized, and then attached to the uterus.  I even specifically said earlier

And as for your link, part of that is just the nature of probability. Assuming a particular method of birth control is 99.9% effective, the chance of not getting pregnant during the next 100 times of have sex is .999^100  = 90.47%. Extended that to 1000 times and you get a mere 36.7%.

But as you can see from the plot, the problem is actually with typical use - those curves are much worse than the perfect use ones. Not that anyone can be perfect...

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4246 on: April 23, 2016, 02:05:25 PM »
Typically, the effectiveness of contraception is described in term of annual use. So, if you're using a method that's 99.5% effective (like an implant or IUD), that means you have a 0.5% chance of pregnancy every year, not every time you have sex.

Plan B is different because it's not meant to be used all the time, just when plan A fails, so I'm not actually sure how they're measuring that effectiveness.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #4247 on: April 24, 2016, 02:29:29 AM »
The average American woman is also too overweight for Plan B to work at this point too. Unfortunately it's ineffective in larger women.

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4248 on: April 24, 2016, 09:38:47 AM »
The average American woman is also too overweight for Plan B to work at this point too. Unfortunately it's ineffective in larger women.

I was horrified when I read the stats about that.  It seems like there should be a larger dose or at least information about this.  I think the cut off for the studies on efficacy was something like 160 lbs.

ETA: which I think is the average weight for American women, and pretty low for tall women, I think?  I have no real sense, but I know my 6'1 female friend wears a size 2 and she's over 160.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 10:02:09 AM by onlykelsey »

druth

• Bristles
« Reply #4249 on: April 24, 2016, 09:57:25 AM »
I have a facebook friend who regularly complains about money, has a small child, and works as a receptionist is buying a very expensive savannah cat.  It's a cross between a house cat and a Serval(a wild animal).  The cat costs $3000.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!