Author Topic: Special edition Stanley cups  (Read 19361 times)

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
Re: Special edition Stanley cups
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2024, 09:21:13 AM »
I thought of this thread when I saw a recent Facebook post.  The person was adding rhinestones to cover her entire Stanley cup.  This is apparently a Thing, because the poster was asking for advice on how other people who've done this managed the transition to the angled part of the cup.  At the end of her post, she added a "By the way" that said she estimated she's spent something like 60 hours (I forget the actual number) so far on the project.  And I'd estimate she was only about 2/3 finished.   

For rhinestones.  On a cup.

Mind boggling. Harmless at least.

I follow a car repair channel on YouTube. From time to time they show cars whose owners went to town with rhinestones and glue. What is really eyebrow raising is when they insist on putting rhinestones all over the airbag cover. Now they have a claymore aimed at their face... Oof!

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2024, 10:06:54 AM »
I thought of this thread when I saw a recent Facebook post.  The person was adding rhinestones to cover her entire Stanley cup.  This is apparently a Thing, because the poster was asking for advice on how other people who've done this managed the transition to the angled part of the cup.  At the end of her post, she added a "By the way" that said she estimated she's spent something like 60 hours (I forget the actual number) so far on the project.  And I'd estimate she was only about 2/3 finished.   

I follow a car repair channel on YouTube. From time to time they show cars whose owners went to town with rhinestones and glue. What is really eyebrow raising is when they insist on putting rhinestones all over the airbag cover. Now they have a claymore aimed at their face... Oof!

Lol

Why bother with brand name if they are going to cover up the logo? They could get a cheaper knockoff and nobody would know.

aloevera1

• Stubble
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2024, 10:48:39 AM »
(almost) Serious question - are these cups able to hold HOT temperature??

I found that most thermo cups just plain suck. The only happy exception is the Thermos (cheap and durable like a rock).

A plug for the Zojirushi Stainless Steel Mug: This mug offers the best heat retention, plus one-handed usability and a locking, leakproof lid, which makes it especially useful if you carry your mug in a bag or backpack. If you drop it (several times), the paint chips and the bottle may get dented, but it still works fine, no leaks (ask me how I know.)

For the SM-SF48 16oz model, the heat retention is 189°F @ 1 hr. / 160°F @ 6 hrs. It's awesome for people who like to sip coffee/tea over a long period of time. The cold retention is 46°F @ 6 hrs - cold enough for me, although there are probably better options if you're mostly interested in cold drinks. 

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-travel-mug/

Wow that is a steep price for the mug... The temperature features look impressive tho.

Right now I am using a Thermos mug for $35 CAD which was a Christmas gift. Hoping it will last forever lol. I had the previous generation too (bought 2 mugs for $10 at the discount store). It went strong for almost 10 years. Next generation has an improved lid too!

aloevera1

• Stubble
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2024, 10:49:35 AM »
My first Zojirushi - the ring went missing and it would leak. Replacement parts are available though with shipping it's approaching full replacement cost. My second one I dropped without the lid and bent the lip badly enough that I can't put the lid on. Tempted to buy a third anyway. My siblings have had theirs for years without issues (gifts from me!)

aren't stainless steel mugs supposed to be more durable than plastic? Surprised it bent... how thin is the steel?

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2024, 08:01:44 PM »

Lol

Why bother with brand name if they are going to cover up the logo? They could get a cheaper knockoff and nobody would know.

Oh, you can still see the logo.  I found this one on ebay and this is exactly what she was doing, though different colors.  BTW, the ebay asking price for the one in this photo?   $450. 

glacio09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2024, 07:21:33 AM »

Lol

Oh, you can still see the logo.  I found this one on ebay and this is exactly what she was doing, though different colors.  BTW, the ebay asking price for the one in this photo?   $450. 

Amongst the many many problems here, how do you hold it? That must hurt.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2024, 08:26:20 AM »
BTW, the ebay asking price for the one in this photo?   $450. 

If it also took the ebay seller over 60 hours, she's not even making minimum wage at that price.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2024, 10:44:30 AM »

If it also took the ebay seller over 60 hours, she's not even making minimum wage at that price.

Looks like she just got a new job as a shoe designer,  although she'll likely never get paid.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2024, 12:30:14 PM »

60 hrs! Some creative person in a far away factory could probably do that in 45 seconds or less. Piece of vinyl graphics transfer paper, layer of beads, add glue to the stones and the cup, roll... ;)

Prob flaws with that strategy but that is the best I could come up with in 60 seconds or less.

Tass

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2024, 12:46:36 PM »
It depends whether this is a savvy ebay seller with an idea of how to make a quick buck, or someone who regrets their own painstaking work and is trying to recoup their losses...

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #160 on: February 29, 2024, 02:17:21 PM »
You can buy rhinestones in sheets. You don't need to apply them individually all over. You could cover 80% of yhe cup in five minutes then fill in the rest with cut up sheets and do the logo area individually. At £450 you could be making £100/hr.

But if it's a content creator where the point is the content, not getting the job done, then applying rhinestones individually is part of the aesthetic/mystique. I used to read a blogger (wayyyyy back in the day) who had a Barbie type aesthetic and edited videos of her rhinestoning EVERYTHING. Efficiency would have reduced the perceived value of her content significantly.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #161 on: February 29, 2024, 04:37:21 PM »
You can buy rhinestones in sheets. You don't need to apply them individually all over. You could cover 80% of yhe cup in five minutes then fill in the rest with cut up sheets and do the logo area individually. At £450 you could be making £100/hr.

But if it's a content creator where the point is the content, not getting the job done, then applying rhinestones individually is part of the aesthetic/mystique. I used to read a blogger (wayyyyy back in the day) who had a Barbie type aesthetic and edited videos of her rhinestoning EVERYTHING. Efficiency would have reduced the perceived value of her content significantly.

No, you can not!  Her question specifically stated she was "worried about her lines".  The sheets wouldn't allow for the careful tapering of the lines as the mug gradually narrows.  Apparantly, when one wants a bedazzled stanley cup, one wants PERFECT LINES. 

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2024, 04:10:39 PM »
Wondering if the hype train has been derailed.
Was at Target and my older one says, "Dad, you know you said you wanted to see what the Stanley cups looks like? There's so many of them here on the shelf."
I replied, "I don't need to see them, I've seen enough in the gym, and there's a bunch in the lost n found box by the entrance."
Then took a look at the shelf, there were about 10-12 different colors/variations, a few of each. Not even locked up, as they had been during the poseur panic peak.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!