Author Topic: Overheard on Facebook  (Read 6169291 times)

charis

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard on Facebook
« Reply #8700 on: August 17, 2022, 02:32:51 AM »
' I know people who do it. They're VERY frugal (grow and can their own food, never eat out, no vacations, definitely not saving for retirement). It's a "whole lifestyle" to live on one income. I hate feeling strained and I want to retire in my 60s, and pay for summer camp, so both my partner & I work. '

I mean, my family is single-income and we can some jam from our grapes and berries, but nothing else applies.

I'm taking "I hate feeling strained" as "I spend money without paying the slightest attention to where it's going", like somehow paying AT&T $200/mo for your phone is more calming than using Mint or something.

Using Mint IS calming.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Oh, heck no. It made me feel.guilty for spending a little extra to replace my balding tires even though I still had twice as much available in other categories. I am better off winging it, but then I have generally lived within my means. Even in college, some of my friends knew I could float them if they were waiting on income.

Well obviously it may be different for others. It's calming for me because I don't feel guilty about spending (quite the opposite because I can see the whole picture, not just spending) and it helped me get a handle on our finances 8 years ago.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 02:34:56 AM by charis »

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8701 on: August 17, 2022, 06:26:41 AM »
' I know people who do it. They're VERY frugal (grow and can their own food, never eat out, no vacations, definitely not saving for retirement). It's a "whole lifestyle" to live on one income. I hate feeling strained and I want to retire in my 60s, and pay for summer camp, so both my partner & I work. '

I mean, my family is single-income and we can some jam from our grapes and berries, but nothing else applies.

I'm taking "I hate feeling strained" as "I spend money without paying the slightest attention to where it's going", like somehow paying AT&T $200/mo for your phone is more calming than using Mint or something.

Oh, heck no. It made me feel.guilty for spending a little extra to replace my balding tires even though I still had twice as much available in other categories. I am better off winging it, but then I have generally lived within my means. Even in college, some of my friends knew I could float them if they were waiting on income.

Well obviously it may be different for others. It's calming for me because I don't feel guilty about spending (quite the opposite because I can see the whole picture, not just spending) and it helped me get a handle on our finances 8 years ago.

I think merula was talking about mintmobile? They're a cheap mobile service provider. Mint budget tracking is cool too though :)

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8702 on: August 17, 2022, 07:33:55 AM »

I think merula was talking about mintmobile? They're a cheap mobile service provider. Mint budget tracking is cool too though :)

Haha. You are probably correct!  I saw the part about not paying attention to where one's money is going and assumed Mint was referring to the tracking software. 

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8703 on: August 17, 2022, 11:23:47 AM »

Haha. You are probably correct!  I saw the part about not paying attention to where one's money is going and assumed Mint was referring to the tracking software.

Well, in that case, sure. I love my $15/month phone plan! We pay more for DH now so that he can tether for remote work, but even then we realized that the 15GB plan gives you more hotspot data than the "unlimited" plan, so it isn't too bad.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #8704 on: August 17, 2022, 07:43:05 PM »
I find Mint.com extremely stressful to use.  Maybe the wireless service isn’t as bad, but the financial tracking website is extremely difficult to use for tracking purposes, and is constantly telling me that i am losing money, even when i am not.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8705 on: August 17, 2022, 09:44:10 PM »
I find Mint.com extremely stressful to use.  Maybe the wireless service isn’t as bad, but the financial tracking website is extremely difficult to use for tracking purposes, and is constantly telling me that i am losing money, even when i am not.

Are they at all related? Didn't mint.com get bought by Intuit and mint mobile is just a wrapper on the T-Mobile network?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8706 on: August 17, 2022, 09:46:13 PM »

Are they at all related? Didn't mint.com get bought by Intuit and mint mobile is just a wrapper on the T-Mobile network?

No relation whatsoever. Just confusion when someone doesn't specify and mentions a phone bill and budgeting both as context.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8707 on: August 19, 2022, 08:00:51 AM »

No relation whatsoever. Just confusion when someone doesn't specify and mentions a phone bill and budgeting both as context.

Yes, Mint.com is the financial tracking website.  Mint mobile is a wireless service.  Different companies with similar names.  Usually people are referring to Mint.com in the context of spending.

I'm not sure what issues @lifeisshort123 is having, but I find Mint.com to be pretty good for tracking if you are willing to make some manual corrections/additions.  I don't find them to be overly burdensome, I'd rather do it than trying to track everything manually for me and my spouse.  It's just a matter of deleting duplicate transactions, adding some occasionally, and and I have a few accounts that wouldn't update unless I do a second level of security. 

Ohio Teacher

• Stubble
« Reply #8708 on: August 27, 2022, 05:53:16 AM »
After the student loan forgiveness made the news, this was said by a 55 year old woman, unironically:

"After 34 years of paying on this, now I can finally start saving for retirement!"

Catbert

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8709 on: September 29, 2022, 01:00:41 PM »
After the student loan forgiveness made the news, this was said by a 55 year old woman, unironically:

"After 34 years of paying on this, now I can finally start saving for retirement!"

FFS.  I'm guessing it was actually 34 years of not paying for it.

lifeisshort123

• Bristles
« Reply #8710 on: September 29, 2022, 05:04:36 PM »
I’d be curious what the Reddit users who were responding viewed typical incomes.  One income of $40k would be quite difficult, $400k much less so.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8711 on: October 02, 2022, 08:53:08 AM »
My financial-train-wreck Facebook friend posted an inspirational poster looking quote that said something along the lines of “I will ignore anything that doesn’t get me closer to my goals this year”, followed almost immediately by another post of a picture of a new $50 Starbucks cup that’s coming out that they want.  I guess debt servitude is their ongoing goal. 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #8712 on: November 07, 2022, 05:58:03 AM »
Posted today on a buy/sell group…

Burberry classic coat for 5-year-old child. Original price over 5000 rmb (~USD$700). Now selling for 988 rmb (~USD$137).

In the pictures, the tag says the coat was made in Vietnam. Pretty sure it didn’t cost anywhere near $700 to make, or even anywhere $137 to make.

They were also selling four other coats for toddlers, all of which had been worn only a couple times by their kid, per the ad. Total original cost of the coats was ~USD$2000. For coats. For a toddler.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8713 on: November 07, 2022, 09:18:41 AM »
Posted today on a buy/sell group…

Burberry classic coat for 5-year-old child. Original price over 5000 rmb (~USD$700). Now selling for 988 rmb (~USD$137).

In the pictures, the tag says the coat was made in Vietnam. Pretty sure it didn’t cost anywhere near $700 to make, or even anywhere $137 to make.

They were also selling four other coats for toddlers, all of which had been worn only a couple times by their kid, per the ad. Total original cost of the coats was ~USD$2000. For coats. For a toddler.

I spend a lot of time on Facebook Marketplace and see a lot of people that post exaggerated original prices to try to get more than something is worth, so I definitely take retail price claims with a grain of salt, but I’m pretty shocked to confirm that coat could indeed have cost that kind of money new.  Talk about diminishing returns on an item that will literally only have a few months of use before it’s outgrown.  For my kid, basic clothes like tee shirts and pants I usually buy new because they are cheap and finding used stuff in the right size that isn’t worn out in my area is more work and ends up being more costly than just ordering new, but higher cost seasonal items like jackets and snowsuits etc I try to buy good quality used ones because the cost savings is substantial
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 09:20:45 AM by JAYSLOL »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8714 on: November 17, 2022, 11:47:47 AM »
My financial-train-wreck Facebook friend posted an inspirational poster looking quote that said something along the lines of “I will ignore anything that doesn’t get me closer to my goals this year”, followed almost immediately by another post of a picture of a new $50 Starbucks cup that’s coming out that they want.  I guess debt servitude is their ongoing goal.

Hope your coworker is ok today

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8715 on: January 04, 2023, 12:58:41 AM »

Apparently they are surviving.  Three new Starbucks cups in the last 24 hours though.  Made a special trip at 7am to make sure they would get them before they sold out on “release day”.  They must have like two full cupboards with just those cups at this point.  They aren’t actually a coworker, former classmate

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8716 on: January 11, 2023, 11:53:06 AM »
Not on Facebook, but this is the closest thread I could find.

Ad seen today on Kijiji (Canadian version of Craigslist):  "Brand new dining table bought at [Fancypants High End Store], selling for $3900.00.  Table (looks like some sort of stone/glass) "was dropped on delivery and the corner chipped."  Shows barely visible roughening of corner.
"Now we have to buy a new one for $8000.00."  Choke.  I'm so tempted to reply with a link to MMM!

AMandM

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8717 on: January 11, 2023, 12:35:29 PM »

Ad seen today on Kijiji (Canadian version of Craigslist):  "Brand new dining table bought at [Fancypants High End Store], selling for $3900.00.  Table (looks like some sort of stone/glass) "was dropped on delivery and the corner chipped."  Shows barely visible roughening of corner.
"Now we have to buy a new one for $8000.00."  Choke.  I'm so tempted to reply with a link to MMM!
Wouldn't the delivery company be liable for making good the damage?

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8718 on: January 11, 2023, 12:54:41 PM »

They should. I get stuff (cabinets, appliances) delivered to my jobsites.
I don't let the delivery crew leave until I've unpacked everything and inspected it for damage, and if it is damaged at all I refuse the delivery and back on the truck it goes.
The fine print on the delivery (in my case) states that if you don't do this the damaged item is yours and they are not responsible.

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8719 on: January 11, 2023, 02:19:20 PM »

I don't let the delivery crew leave until I've unpacked everything and inspected it for damage, and if it is damaged at all I refuse the delivery and back on the truck it goes.
The fine print on the delivery (in my case) states that if you don't do this the damaged item is yours and they are not responsible.

Who knows?  You would think that for such an expensive item, they would at least try.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #8720 on: January 11, 2023, 05:09:57 PM »

Who knows?  You would think that for such an expensive item, they would at least try.

My first thought was, "I wouldn't even pay $3900 for a brand new table, least of all one that has been dropped and chipped."

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8721 on: January 11, 2023, 10:32:03 PM »

Personally I tend not to believe anything people say in the ads, much higher likelihood they bought it for $1500 from a wholesale liquidation place or auction that sells returned/damaged etc goods that are still sellable.  A quick look at their Kijiji profile that shows their other ads usually gives it away.  It’s also possible they did pay retail for it, decided they didn’t want it anymore and it just happens to have damage they they did to it and they think it reflects better on them if they blame the movers, even though that story makes no sense. 

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8722 on: January 12, 2023, 11:46:20 AM »

Personally I tend not to believe anything people say in the ads, much higher likelihood they bought it for $1500 from a wholesale liquidation place or auction that sells returned/damaged etc goods that are still sellable.  A quick look at their Kijiji profile that shows their other ads usually gives it away.  It’s also possible they did pay retail for it, decided they didn’t want it anymore and it just happens to have damage they they did to it and they think it reflects better on them if they blame the movers, even though that story makes no sense. 

It actually seems legit.

I looked at the website for the store, and sure enough, there was the same table for $8400.00, ON SALE from over 11K!  Although it sells as a set with chairs, so I guess he had to buy more of those too!

The other ads from the same person are selling various swanky sunglasses for $100 - $425.  And get this:  a 2017 Mercedes-Benz G63 Brabus SUV for $185,000.  It's for sale because "the new one has arrived."  It's hard to know whether to laugh or cry.   Who is this person?

snic

• Bristles
« Reply #8723 on: January 12, 2023, 08:37:36 PM »
Who is this person?

What's stopping you? Make an appointment to see the Benz and find out!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8724 on: January 13, 2023, 03:14:03 PM »
Who is this person?

What's stopping you? Make an appointment to see the Benz and find out!

Wear some spy glasses and upload the video for our entertainment lol.  I still find a lot of people that sell luxury products online aren’t genuine consumers of those products and are instead flipping them. 

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8725 on: January 13, 2023, 04:31:10 PM »

I kind of have to know, you know?  I'm only a couple years younger than she is, so how do you actually pay for 34 years?  I mean, yeah, interest rates on my student loans were 8% and 10%, so that maybe didn't help her.  But wow...how much did she borrow?

Anyhoo...

Apparently they are surviving.  Three new Starbucks cups in the last 24 hours though. Made a special trip at 7am to make sure they would get them before they sold out on “release day”.  They must have like two full cupboards with just those cups at this point.  They aren’t actually a coworker, former classmate

I swear I just come back to this thread for these updates.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
    • FIRE Countdown
« Reply #8726 on: January 14, 2023, 04:12:28 AM »
I’ve seen two people post on the neighborhood chat today asking the following:

Please can someone add me to the ayi group? Someone knows an ayi staying in town for Chinese New Year?

This year is the first year since the start of the pandemic that the government has allowed travel during Chinese New Year, arguably the most important holiday in China, and for many ayis, it’s the only time they can see their family in their hometown. But apparently, this expat can’t function without her household helper, so she would rather have her ayi set aside her cultural traditions and her time with her own family, because the expat can’t clean her own home, cook her own food, or take care of her own kids.

To be fair though, this one is an outlier. Most employers are very understanding and accommodating.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 04:16:11 AM by Freedomin5 »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8727 on: January 14, 2023, 11:47:19 PM »
They aren’t actually a coworker, former classmate

WHAT?  But this is the OVERHEARD AT WORK thread.  What kind of idiot.... oh.... oh wait.  Nevermind.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8728 on: January 15, 2023, 12:29:34 AM »

WHAT?  But this is the OVERHEARD AT WORK thread.  What kind of idiot.... oh.... oh wait.  Nevermind.
In theory people should rotate out of eligibility to post in the Overheard at Work thread after a few years anyway, right? Unless SWAMIs, I guess.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8729 on: January 17, 2023, 03:52:31 PM »
Representative Rick Scott (Republican- GA) wants to raise the social security age even more because "people want to work more" so we should raise the retirement age as "an incentive" for them to do just that.

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1615080979042893825?

Any of y'all want to work more and wait longer to get the social security you've paid for?

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8730 on: January 17, 2023, 08:10:03 PM »
Representative Rick Scott (Republican- GA) wants to raise the social security age even more because "people want to work more" so we should raise the retirement age as "an incentive" for them to do just that.

Any of y'all want to work more and wait longer to get the social security you've paid for?

Wait, I thought according to Republicans no one wants to work anymore?

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8731 on: January 17, 2023, 08:17:42 PM »

Wait, I thought according to Republicans no one wants to work anymore?

See, kids these days don't want to work.

Never you mind how many baby boomers and older gen X left the work force over the last couple of years. The problem is the kids, the adults just need a nudge. One magically wants to work once over 40, but SS is just so very tempting at 62 that it is impossible to resist its pull.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8732 on: January 17, 2023, 08:46:54 PM »

In theory people should rotate out of eligibility to post in the Overheard at Work thread after a few years anyway, right? Unless SWAMIs, I guess.

I rotate out every year.  Seasonal job, 9 months on, and 3 months off.  It’s like a mini-FIRE every year.  I love it.  I’ve actually had a few work seasons now where I haven’t had any new coworkers with crazy money stuff going on, some usual unmustachian behaviour, but nothing crazy.  It’s been very disappointing lol.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8733 on: January 17, 2023, 09:10:04 PM »
I rotate out every year.  Seasonal job, 9 months on, and 3 months off.  It’s like a mini-FIRE every year.  I love it.  I’ve actually had a few work seasons now where I haven’t had any new coworkers with crazy money stuff going on, some usual unmustachian behaviour, but nothing crazy.  It’s been very disappointing lol.
I need to find a way to do this. I'm used to the cushy life working a dozen feet from my own kitchen with the good coffee, though. Wonder if there's a way to make that happen?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8734 on: January 18, 2023, 01:08:49 AM »
I need to find a way to do this. I'm used to the cushy life working a dozen feet from my own kitchen with the good coffee, though. Wonder if there's a way to make that happen?

That sounds pretty good already, my winters are easy, but my work season is 9 months of long days doing hard work far from the comfort of home outside in the elements.  I think I’d trade my seasonal work for year round if it was in comfy clothes by the fireplace a few steps from the kitchen

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #8735 on: January 18, 2023, 01:20:45 AM »
[/quote]

I volunteered once with a lady in her 40s who told me she consulted 1 month per year, and lived off of that money for the rest of the year; she spent those 11 months volunteering and travel, mainly.

I was too young to ask more questions, even though I lived on a low income, worked only parttime, went to university parttime, volunteered and travelled, and enjoyed life!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8736 on: January 31, 2023, 11:08:44 AM »

I kind of have to know, you know?  I'm only a couple years younger than she is, so how do you actually pay for 34 years?  I mean, yeah, interest rates on my student loans were 8% and 10%, so that maybe didn't help her.  But wow...how much did she borrow?

Anyhoo...

Apparently they are surviving.  Three new Starbucks cups in the last 24 hours though. Made a special trip at 7am to make sure they would get them before they sold out on “release day”.  They must have like two full cupboards with just those cups at this point.  They aren’t actually a coworker, former classmate

It’s been a while, but guess who just got another new Starbucks Cup!?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8737 on: January 31, 2023, 01:41:43 PM »

Anyhoo...

It’s been a while, but guess who just got another new Starbucks Cup!?

Wait, actually make that two!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8738 on: January 31, 2023, 01:45:40 PM »

Not that you should enable this, but maybe it’s time for a Starbucks themed display shelf?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/826631266/starbucks-tumbler-cup-cold-cup-holder

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8739 on: January 31, 2023, 02:19:14 PM »

Not that you should enable this, but maybe it’s time for a Starbucks themed display shelf?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/826631266/starbucks-tumbler-cup-cold-cup-holder

I’d be pretty surprised if she couldn’t fill at least one of those already, might even be two

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8740 on: February 01, 2023, 07:16:31 AM »
From a fishing forum, a poster was looking for "good credit card interest rates" for spending, and also shared that they recently did a cash out re-fi on their 2019 truck to the tune of $20k.
I pointed out that any rate above 0% was too high to me, and that the truck re-fi was a red flag of a debt emergency.
OP: "I'm doing some home upgrades, ya'll are crazy".
I resisted the urge to write "Yeah, but with whose money?".

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8741 on: February 01, 2023, 07:54:44 AM »
From a fishing forum, a poster was looking for "good credit card interest rates" for spending, and also shared that they recently did a cash out re-fi on their 2019 truck to the tune of $20k.
I pointed out that any rate above 0% was too high to me, and that the truck re-fi was a red flag of a debt emergency.
Duh, because home upgrades always have a great ROI. [Insert eyeroll.]

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8742 on: February 01, 2023, 09:48:51 AM »

“Home upgrades” = lift kit and big tires for the truck, probably lol

trc4897

• Stubble
« Reply #8743 on: February 01, 2023, 11:00:24 AM »

Might be a dumb question, but what is SWAMI? Google didn't help me much it says "State of Washington as a Musical Instrument" lol

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #8744 on: February 01, 2023, 11:14:13 AM »

Might be a dumb question, but what is SWAMI? Google didn't help me much it says "State of Washington as a Musical Instrument" lol

Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual.

Yeah, doesn't really work for me, either, but it serves a purpose to describe those who choose to work beyond FI.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8745 on: February 01, 2023, 11:15:06 AM »

"Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual" i.e. someone whose finances are well in-control, with a high savings rate, and who is still working and fine with it.  They may or may not have reached financial independence.  If they haven't hit FI, they have a plan and a timeline and aren't looking to escape a bad situation.  If they *are* FI, they are working because they want to, not because they need to.

trc4897

• Stubble
« Reply #8746 on: February 01, 2023, 12:48:34 PM »

Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual.

Yeah, doesn't really work for me, either, but it serves a purpose to describe those who choose to work beyond FI.

Thanks!

trc4897

• Stubble
« Reply #8747 on: February 01, 2023, 12:48:52 PM »

"Satisfied Working Advanced Mustachian Individual" i.e. someone whose finances are well in-control, with a high savings rate, and who is still working and fine with it.  They may or may not have reached financial independence.  If they haven't hit FI, they have a plan and a timeline and aren't looking to escape a bad situation.  If they *are* FI, they are working because they want to, not because they need to.

Thanks!

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8748 on: February 02, 2023, 08:24:18 AM »

Or they are like me and hanging around for “reasons”.  I have a pension I can collect at 47 by sticking around.  My inner bag lady won’t let me FIRE before then.

sonofsven

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8749 on: February 02, 2023, 08:44:57 AM »

Or they are like me and hanging around for “reasons”.  I have a pension I can collect at 47 by sticking around.  My inner bag lady won’t let me FIRE before then.

Yes, I like to work and might not ever RE.
I'm an IBL-OMY.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!