Author Topic: Overheard: Funny and Horrifying  (Read 8788 times)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
Overheard: Funny and Horrifying
« on: September 14, 2014, 11:15:52 AM »
I observed what looked like a young woman returning to college with her father in a Target.

Dad: We should walk the mall.
Woman: mumbling
Dad: We have nothing else to do and nowhere to be. We should walk the mall to see if we there's anything else we need to buy.

What is with this idea of letting the presence of an item in the mall decide if you need something? You should know before you go shopping if you need something or not.

prudent_one

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Overheard: Funny and Horrifying
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
You and I look at shopping as a hunting trip to obtain needs. Some people see shopping as a leisure activity where spending money is a given and impulse buying is the norm.

It's a sure money-wasting pastime, though.

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 12:32:50 PM »
Yes, shopping is a fun activity for some people.  For some people, shopping is a chore.  I am squarely in the chore category of people. 

When I was young, clothes shopping was kind of entertaining.  Going with a friend to the mall kind of thing.  Not any more though.  I only go to the mall if I need something. 

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 01:26:03 PM »
We should walk the mall to see if we there's anything else we need to buy.

I've noticed this terrible trend in my own thinking.  I can't think of things on my own, I need a visual reminder.  It's like if I have a bunch of tabs open in my browser, I have to click through them all to remember what I was working on.  Or even if I go grocery shopping with a list, I take a quick scan down the aisles because it might jog my memory.  The problem is with things being visually available all the time and the internet and shopping centers and smart phones being available 24 hours, we never need to take the time to plan or think at all.

But of course you're correct, if you didn't think of it in advance and you can't think of it while you're standing there, it's unlikely that you "need" it.

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
Yes, shopping is a fun activity for some people.  For some people, shopping is a chore.  I am squarely in the chore category of people. 

Chore. I think this is the reason I own three pair of blue jeans, 5+ years old, each from garage sales. The thought of taking off and putting on several pair (that can never match up to my well worn-in ones anyway) makes me feel exhausted. And then there's the price...

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 08:06:33 PM »
I have three older, non mustachian sisters.  They often call my wife to go to the mall to "see what's on sale".  It is their favorite past time.  We rarely go to the mall and when we do it is for a specific item and then we are out.

agent_clone

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 03:43:53 AM »
I can see how you might forget something.  I often remember that I need to go to the supermarket on my way home, but I don't necessarily remember to buy what I need to buy (e.g. I went to the supermarket to get Toothpaste, Tissues and something else the other day, instead I forgot all of those, and returned home with dinner for the next night).  If the lady is returning to college then it may be the one major shop that she will have for several months, if she doesn't have a car there are bulky things that are difficult to get home without one (e.g. 18kg of 2 small bookshelves, or a 34cm tv puts a strain on the arms walking down the mall, on the bus then down the street for me, and yes I have previously done this).
Malls, I tend to go to for some purpose, do a wander to a few additional stores, and not buy anything other than what I had intended (sometimes I don't even buy that if I can't find what I want).

socaso

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 08:02:14 PM »
My husband went to Barnes & Noble to use a gift card someone gave him. While he was there they tried to upsell him a frequent buyer card that was $17. You only got 10% off and since sales tax here is over 9% that's really nothing. "But!" they said, "you get free parking at the mall!" My husband told them no, thanks, he doesn't really like going to the mall. I guess some people might see that as a big perk. You see families wandering the mall in herds.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 10:15:24 PM »
They could be avoiding using the air conditioning - in summer, a number of the local shopping centres have mony people in them getting cool.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 11:13:24 PM »
Really need (as Paul Harvey would say) "the rest of the story" to know for sure, but I'm going to run with a mix of agent_clone's and sheepstache's perspectives.  Could be the dad knew the daughter might not have remembered everything, and he was walking the line between "if you forgot it, that's too bad - I don't have time to coddle you so in the future, plan better" vs. "you poor helpless dear, let me check the list I prepared for you to see what else we need to get."  He wasn't telling her what she needed, but was giving her a chance to remember.

Again, none of us know the whole story but I'm more touched than horrified because it seems the dad struck a pretty good balance there.  And I tend to be an optimist....

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2014, 11:37:44 AM »
My husband went to Barnes & Noble to use a gift card someone gave him. While he was there they tried to upsell him a frequent buyer card that was $17. You only got 10% off and since sales tax here is over 9% that's really nothing. "But!" they said, "you get free parking at the mall!" My husband told them no, thanks, he doesn't really like going to the mall. I guess some people might see that as a big perk. You see families wandering the mall in herds.

Free parking at the mall? I call that "selling air." LOL

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
It just blows my mind, to tell the truth.  We have loads of slightly older women (especially) who go to Wal-Mart and the grocery store, grab a cart, lean over top of it, and just wander.  They stand there (blocking an item I need on a shelf) and they just stare vacantly...  As though they've never seen jam, olives, shampoo, or peanut butter before.  And they never have a list!  They don't need anything at all--they're just there wandering and looking and buying random crap.  It's super-freaky zombie behaviour to me.  Why would you go shopping if you didn't know what you need?   It's not like you're in a foreign outdoor market or something exploring new, exotic items, you're in a freakin' Wal-Mart.  Is life that boring?  That's the most fun thing you can think to do with your time?  I find it sad. 

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 12:31:08 PM »
^They have a lot for sale for only this type of person.  Oooohhh, look!  Autumn themed hand towels!  And a cookie jar shaped like a turkey!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »
It just blows my mind, to tell the truth.  We have loads of slightly older women (especially) who go to Wal-Mart and the grocery store, grab a cart, lean over top of it, and just wander.  They stand there (blocking an item I need on a shelf) and they just stare vacantly...  As though they've never seen jam, olives, shampoo, or peanut butter before.  And they never have a list!  They don't need anything at all--they're just there wandering and looking and buying random crap.  It's super-freaky zombie behaviour to me.  Why would you go shopping if you didn't know what you need?   It's not like you're in a foreign outdoor market or something exploring new, exotic items, you're in a freakin' Wal-Mart.  Is life that boring?  That's the most fun thing you can think to do with your time?  I find it sad.

I shop walmart a lot and feel your pain.   Thing is I like to spend time looking too.   I have found more than one thing that peaks my interest.   Although, I generally have a weekly list,  I can often be found reading labels and doing math.   For instance, when ground beef is $4 a pound,  I may like to compare it to chicken livers at $1.75 a pound.   

FYI,  the chicken liver is way more healthy and packed full of trace minerals while having a higher bioavailable source of protein. 

My wife thinks I spend too much time reading labels.  I like to think I spend just the right amount of time. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »

I shop walmart a lot and feel your pain.   Thing is I like to spend time looking too.   I have found more than one thing that peaks my interest.   Although, I generally have a weekly list,  I can often be found reading labels and doing math.   For instance, when ground beef is $4 a pound,  I may like to compare it to chicken livers at $1.75 a pound.   

FYI,  the chicken liver is way more healthy and packed full of trace minerals while having a higher bioavailable source of protein. 

My wife thinks I spend too much time reading labels.  I like to think I spend just the right amount of time.

I've never actually had liver before (to my knowledge). How do you cook it? I imagine it a really healthy and a cheap source of protein.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 01:32:27 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, if I was meant to go to the mall, Al Gore wouldn't have invented the internet. If I really need it, I can probably get it delivered to my house.

+1

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 02:11:43 PM »
I've never actually had liver before (to my knowledge). How do you cook it? I imagine it a really healthy and a cheap source of protein.

Lightly. Nothing worse than chalky, overcooked liver. For beginners, I'd suggest a rice dish with finely chopped liver, more for flavor than anything.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!