Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253384 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #9100 on: July 09, 2015, 11:39:39 AM »
Yeah, your manhood depends on owning (or being in debt for) a couple of tons of metal that were manufactured in a factory and that anyone can buy, including wimps and females. But a couple of tons manufactured in a different shape (Prius) is wussy. And manhood is also something that you have to insure, and you can lose it completely in a car accident. Gosh, that manliness is delicate, just like testicles.

And sometimes that big lump of American pickup truck badass is actually built in another country like Mexico or Canada. ;)

I once worked on a couple of industrial projects for Harley-Davidson at my employer. Several significant parts of that American symbol of 'Murica were made in Italy, Taiwan, etc. Nice bike no doubt but I didn't want to hear any more grief about my older used Honda that I paid nearly nothing for and rode year 'round (our second family vehicle during that period).

Actually today - let them point and make fun at those "non-American" rice burners while I chuckle about their non-American-but-"American" bikes.

People also often ignore the fact that those foreign car companies "stealing our jobs" in fact have factories in the US and employ American workers. I owned a Subaru with a sticker saying it was made in Indiana. I live about 20 miles from a pretty big (from the look of it) Toyota factory. If Toyota went out of business tomorrow, those (American) people working at that factory would all be out of a job.

To the masculinity thing: It's actually really ironic to me personally because I associate big trucks more with women than men anyway. I worked at a place with a drive-thru for about 2 years and a vast majority of the big trucks that came through were being driven by women and that formed the association in my mind.

I'm one of the minority that doesn't cares whats "masculine." I drive what I drive because I like it, I wear what I want because it's comfortable, I have no shame in enjoying both the football and theater, and anyone that has a problem with this can kiss me @$@ :-). Life's too short to do things you don't want to do.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9101 on: July 09, 2015, 11:42:21 AM »
... I studied several Romance languages at school and always appreciated being able to distinguish between the singular 'you' and the plural 'you', especially on the internet where tone fails can result in a lot of fallout. I therefore took to using "y'all" when I mean "you people generally" as it lessens the chance of an individual poster thinking that I am talking about (and possibly insulting) them personally. In this case I used it to distinguish between "you, the poster I am replying to" and "all of you Americans generally".

Careful! Y'all is often singular. Use "all y'all" to be sure.

Y'all is always plural; "all y'all" is reflexive or emphatic. :-)

Another option, used about as often as y'all in this area, is y'uns. Short for you 'uns, of course.

ETA a husband tells me "y'all" was pretty well universally adopted aboard ship (US Navy) because it fills a practical need.

What the heck are yinz talking about?

Gotta love the 'burgh!!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9102 on: July 09, 2015, 11:45:42 AM »
Another day, another debt-laden CW excited about "only" spending $6 on lunch... or as I like to call it, $20K more than I will over the next decade, after market returns.

Yup. That used to be me, now I eat out for lunch maybe once a month when working (exception if I'm on the road for work, but work covers that). I have also curbed eating out for dinners. Before I would eat out a few times a week and would rationalize it by thinking that it was only $3, or I was too tired to cook. Thankfully I've gotten a lot better about this and have learned to plan ahead to cook a few things and keep them in the fridge for later.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9103 on: July 09, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
Not overheard at work, but ... from out of town friends.

I have friends who are talking about their bills, and how they need a new roof and cannot afford it.  So the husband is going to replace the roof himself (which I fully support, he's skilled enough for that), but they cannot yet afford the materials.

Last month they went to a concert, for two nights, in a different town.  So, they drove separately, paid for hotel for 2 nights, and paid for babysitting for the weekend.  I think this "date" was probably $1000.  And by the way, they do this at least 2x a year, and they got to a lot of concerts in the town where they live.  I don't really go to concerts, but from what I can tell, a typical ticket is $150 a person.

Gee, I cannot imagine why you cannot afford a new roof.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #9104 on: July 09, 2015, 11:58:11 AM »
I'm one of the minority that doesn't cares whats "masculine." I drive what I drive because I like it, I wear what I want because it's comfortable, I have no shame in enjoying both the football and theater, and anyone that has a problem with this can kiss me @$@ :-). Life's too short to do things you don't want to do.
Have you noticed that some of the most overtly masculine guys are the most insecure about their masculinity?
It's pretty funny how much time, effort, and money are devoted to simply appearing manly.
Because being a real man means having to constantly prove it, even to people you don't give a shit about. It boggles the mind.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9105 on: July 09, 2015, 12:07:04 PM »

I don't really go to concerts, but from what I can tell, a typical ticket is $150 a person.

Depends on what kind of shows you are seeing. I've been to about 9 concerts in the past 12 months. Most expensive ticket was $55, cheapest was $5, and average probably about $20. And this was going to a concert, not going to a bar with cover and a live band.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9106 on: July 09, 2015, 12:11:44 PM »
I like young local bands myself... aside from the fact that you can see them for $5-10, or even free sometimes, they put everything they have into their performances. I'm not saying I'd *never* drop serious money on seeing a live act I really love, but the list is very small and I ration it.

I passed up a free ticket to see one of my absolute favorite (major) bands a couple of months ago because it was 90 miles away and even the drive seemed like a waste... I'm seeing them for $20 later this month and that's booked with friends and all, so waiting wasn't a problem. I love 'em, don't get me wrong, but allocating life energy is serious business... :)

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9107 on: July 09, 2015, 12:25:00 PM »
What do all you people with dogs do when you travel?  I'd love to get a small-medium dog (preferably something allowed in most apartments) when I have enough time to take care of it properly (ie retirement), but I'm worried it will hamper my freedom to travel. Is it easy to take them to other countries?  I'd guess no

We have a retired friend (former coworker) who until recently had dogs and loves dogs. her dogs finally got old and died. Friend keeps our dog pretty much whenever we need them to but we restrict this to once or twice per year if we can help it b/c we don't want to ruin a good thing. Most of the time it's 1-2 nights. Last time though was six or seven days and poor dog thought we left her there for good.  I could tell she was a little confused when we picked her up. Some day friend will be old enough that they won't want to do this and I have no idea how we'll leave a dog at home while we travel.

In return I fix the friend's truck or appliances or computer. Last night was a 15 min dishwasher repair. They bought the part and I installed it. We proceeded to both have a good beer and visit for an hour. I really think I got the better end of the deal.

If its a trip to grandma's house then the dog goes with us. She loves to ride in the car and go visiting.

When I was a kid, all the neighborhood dogs were on the loose and we'd just get a neighbor to feed our dog and we'd do the same for them while they were gone. You know - I miss those days. The dogs knew all of us kids and there just weren't alot of problems. Leash laws here suck b/c the neighborhoods aren't dense enough to really justify it. More of a lawyer's rule than something strictly necessary.

Sam E

• Stubble
« Reply #9108 on: July 09, 2015, 12:42:49 PM »
Yeah, your manhood depends on owning (or being in debt for) a couple of tons of metal that were manufactured in a factory and that anyone can buy, including wimps and females. But a couple of tons manufactured in a different shape (Prius) is wussy. And manhood is also something that you have to insure, and you can lose it completely in a car accident. Gosh, that manliness is delicate, just like testicles.

And sometimes that big lump of American pickup truck badass is actually built in another country like Mexico or Canada. ;)

I once worked on a couple of industrial projects for Harley-Davidson at my employer. Several significant parts of that American symbol of 'Murica were made in Italy, Taiwan, etc. Nice bike no doubt but I didn't want to hear any more grief about my older used Honda that I paid nearly nothing for and rode year 'round (our second family vehicle during that period).

Actually today - let them point and make fun at those "non-American" rice burners while I chuckle about their non-American-but-"American" bikes.

People also often ignore the fact that those foreign car companies "stealing our jobs" in fact have factories in the US and employ American workers. I owned a Subaru with a sticker saying it was made in Indiana. I live about 20 miles from a pretty big (from the look of it) Toyota factory. If Toyota went out of business tomorrow, those (American) people working at that factory would all be out of a job.

To the masculinity thing: It's actually really ironic to me personally because I associate big trucks more with women than men anyway. I worked at a place with a drive-thru for about 2 years and a vast majority of the big trucks that came through were being driven by women and that formed the association in my mind.

I'm the same way. I just think it highlights just how subjective and fluid things like that can be. To one person, a shiny new truck is a sign of masculinity, toughness, and wealth. To another, it's a sign of a college girl out on the town. I have a similar association between senior citizen women and Mustangs that stems from that job and seeing so many older ladies driving those cars, even (especially?) the newest models. The whole thing is just generally silly to me. It's a waste of time to care about others' perceptions because they vary widely and are hard to predict anyway. Just do what you want to do for yourself, like you said.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9109 on: July 09, 2015, 12:51:42 PM »

My father gave me grief for driving an Indiana-built Subaru rather than an "American" car, like his Ontario-built Ford.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9110 on: July 09, 2015, 12:57:09 PM »

I don't really go to concerts, but from what I can tell, a typical ticket is $150 a person.

Depends on what kind of shows you are seeing. I've been to about 9 concerts in the past 12 months. Most expensive ticket was $55, cheapest was $5, and average probably about $20. And this was going to a concert, not going to a bar with cover and a live band.
Well, we looked into going to some of these concerts, and the low end is $100 and the high end is $350.

Although some of them probably are in the $55 range.  Plus ticketmaster fees.
I'm guessing the Grateful Dead tickets were not cheap.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:02:03 PM by mm1970 »

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9111 on: July 09, 2015, 01:14:40 PM »

Well, we looked into going to some of these concerts, and the low end is $100 and the high end is $350.

Although some of them probably are in the $55 range.  Plus ticketmaster fees.
I'm guessing the Grateful Dead tickets were not cheap.

Yeah. I will say, I have noticed my entertainment budget shrinking the moment I cut down on drinking when going out to the theater. My general rule for the theater is I'll have a drink if hanging out with people beforehand, but that's it. No drinks during the intermission or at the afterparty.

eljefe-speaks

• Bristles
« Reply #9112 on: July 09, 2015, 01:59:37 PM »
It's not.  I'm from Kentucky, and a lot of conversational contractions are in common use here, including Y'all.  In fact, the Florence, Ky water tower that can be seen from I71 Southbound is painted with a huge "Florence Y'all" even though Florence is an exurb of Cincinnati, Ohio.

It used to say Florence Mall but was changed for legal reasons.  Y'all seems to be a good substitute.  We always stop at that exit on our way down to the lake.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florence_Y'all_Water_Tower

The exit sign on 171 for this place I find even more memorable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bone_Lick

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9113 on: July 09, 2015, 02:05:22 PM »
It's not.  I'm from Kentucky, and a lot of conversational contractions are in common use here, including Y'all.  In fact, the Florence, Ky water tower that can be seen from I71 Southbound is painted with a huge "Florence Y'all" even though Florence is an exurb of Cincinnati, Ohio.

It used to say Florence Mall but was changed for legal reasons.  Y'all seems to be a good substitute.  We always stop at that exit on our way down to the lake.

Beaverlick, Ky is a wonderful little community; and the locals get a bit mad when you laugh at the name.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9114 on: July 09, 2015, 02:08:46 PM »

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9115 on: July 09, 2015, 02:13:22 PM »
Another day, another debt-laden CW excited about "only" spending $6 on lunch... or as I like to call it, $20K more than I will over the next decade, after market returns.

I've done the bring from home math vs. the eat out.  Seems like a lot of people discount the fact that food brought from home cost $$ too.  I find on a $6 eat out, I pay about $3 to replicate from home.

Now, if you are eating a few carrot sticks and a piece of cheese I understand.  Curious about the comparison...

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9116 on: July 09, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »
When I cook for work, I generally make a big meal on Sunday and portion it out to eat everyday for the rest of the week.  My per-serving cost is never as high as $3. 

Of course, I don't need to make as big of a meal as I do to get leftovers, but I couldn't make the things I do for dinner without having some leftover. And I've since found out there are people who just throw any leftover food away; so if we compare to them, then the lunches are free.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 02:22:29 PM by iowajes »

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9117 on: July 09, 2015, 02:42:59 PM »
When I cook for work, I generally make a big meal on Sunday and portion it out to eat everyday for the rest of the week.  My per-serving cost is never as high as $3. 

Of course, I don't need to make as big of a meal as I do to get leftovers, but I couldn't make the things I do for dinner without having some leftover. And I've since found out there are people who just throw any leftover food away; so if we compare to them, then the lunches are free.

We usually take sandwiches for lunch (ham and cheese), plus some chips (big bag parceled out into ziplocs) and some fruit (apple and some grapes).  And a yogurt for breakfast.  All that stuff (bread, lunchmeat, etc) is probably $25 or so (deli lunchmeat is $$) but using a conservative $10/meal * 2 people * 4 meals/week (we usually go out to lunch 1 day already) that's $80 to eat out versus $25 for groceries (the other $20 to eat out is a wash).  $220/mo.  And that's without really trying (could buy the groceries cheaper, etc). 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9118 on: July 09, 2015, 02:47:26 PM »

We do this, except we eat the leftovers for dinner each night. No cooking time after getting home late. Easy.

I eat homemade granola for lunch everyday. Easy. Make a 5lb batch once a month.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9119 on: July 09, 2015, 02:54:10 PM »

I've done the bring from home math vs. the eat out.  Seems like a lot of people discount the fact that food brought from home cost $$ too.  I find on a $6 eat out, I pay about $3 to replicate from home.

Now, if you are eating a few carrot sticks and a piece of cheese I understand.  Curious about the comparison...

Economies of scale. Back when it was just 2 people in the house, it was about $3 a meal because we couldn't eat through the "bulk" items fast enough before they'd go bad, and the smaller items were more expensive. Unless we wanted to eat the same stuff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, it wouldn't work out. Of course my average lunch at work was about $4.25 (salad+burger or salad+soup or tacos), so that is definitely on the cheaper end of things.

Now I'm back with my parents since January and for another month or so until I move back in with the fiance (we've been living with our parents to save money). With 4 people, one of whom walks 5-10 miles a day carrying 10-30 pounds, it makes sense to pack the lunch.

It should also be noted that my fiance and I are kind of foodies--the meals that we make could easily be in most restaurants if not for the lack of presentation skills. Additionally, she is an RD and is very concious of where the food comes from and how it was prepared (don't care about organic, do care about "other stuff" that goes closely along with it).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9120 on: July 09, 2015, 03:09:01 PM »

Man how did I miss the y'all conversation?

I agree- y'all is NEVER singular. It is always plural.
All y'all is more plural.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9121 on: July 09, 2015, 03:10:33 PM »

We just did this - for the second time, for my wife. The iPhone 4s is nearing the end of life meaning none of the software upgrades will work with it starting later this year.

Not true! iOS 9 will work on the iPhone 4s.

http://www.evad3rs.net/2014/10/ios-9-supported-devices-compatibility.html

northernlights

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9122 on: July 09, 2015, 03:58:48 PM »
Asked a coworker if she wanted to head out to lunch with me (my biggest clown habit).

CW: No, I'm going to the store because I have a 15% off coupon and another $10 coupon so it's time to shop. Want to come?
Me: Nope, no shopping budget this month since I have a vacation planned.
CW: I don't have a shopping budget either but I'll put it on my credit card and worry about it later.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9123 on: July 09, 2015, 04:55:22 PM »

Depends on what you eat and how you shop and such.  I did the math once, and showed that by packing lunch for myself and my husband, vs. spending $8 for lunch (what it will run you here, without the drink), we could save about $16,500 in 5 years.  That's a new car every five years (admittedly, a low-end car, like my Civic).

I haven't calculated my lunch cost lately.  Mostly I eat 2 snacks and a lunch, so that's 2/3 cup cottage cheese + 1 cup raw veggies, then 2 eggs + 1 cup cooked veggies and a little cheese (plus oil for cooking), then an apple and 2 Tbsp of nuts.  I tend to spread out my calories.  That's 0.59+0.20+0.40+0.45+0.50+0.38 = $2.52.

Of course I'm trying to lose weight right now - back when I first did the calculation, lunch was often beans and rice and a side of veggies, or a bean burrito, or pasta and veggies.  So my meals were heavier in carbs and cost about $1.00.

Right now I spend about $14-15 a day for 4 people (right now I'd say the 2 kids equal an adult), or $4.90 per adult person per DAY.  Versus eating out at $6 for one meal.  (And here it would be more than that.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9124 on: July 09, 2015, 04:59:19 PM »

All y'all ain't never seen a reflexive double negative before?

regulator

• Bristles
« Reply #9125 on: July 09, 2015, 05:55:05 PM »
Finally have one:

My friend and coworker is a really nice guy, but between him and his wife they run through money like crazy despite the ~250k household income (this is in NYC, but still).  He asks my opinion on budget, etc., but usually loses the battle with his SWMBO.  Today was all him.  The range in his coop gave up the ghost, oven is done, door does not close, etc.  I will give him the benefit of the doubt that it was not worth fixing.  So he goes to Best Buy and purchases a very fancy double oven range clad in stainless steel.  $2100 with delivery and install, but since Best Buy was offering 18 months same as cash terms, "its only $125 a month."  Head, desk.  This is the guy who is always worried by their dwindling savings account.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #9126 on: July 09, 2015, 06:41:14 PM »
CW: Only another 30 more years to go before retirement
ME: At our new salary (just over $70,000) you should be able to retire easily in 15 years
CW: I don't see how ... I have student debt and a few other debts ...(totalling under $100,000) AND we are saving for a down payment on a house and the wedding
ME: Weddings don't cost much ...
CW: What??? The lowest I can find for hall rental and dinner is going to be about $30,000
ME: WHAT??????? ARE YOU CRAZY????
CW: That is what it costs these days ...
ME: (Muttering to myself as I leave the room to make myself a coffee - with all the fixings I brought from home) FACE PUNCH TIME!!!!

Later with same CW ... (after I calmed down lol...)

ME: So what does the $30,000 include?
CW: Hall, Food, Tables, matching tablecloths, WEDDING PLANNER ...
ME: WEdding planner?
CW: Yeah it makes it so much easier to have one ...
ME: Of course .... OMG

Well apparently the average cost of a wedding in Canada is $32k.

However, I expect the median to be lower. And of course, I expect that any Mustachian in Canada can throw a wedding that costs far less than the median.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 12:43:49 AM by johnny847 »

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9127 on: July 09, 2015, 09:35:24 PM »
"Y'all" tends to be restricted to our rural friends from lower latitudes.   Here in the PNW we say "you guys."
LOL, do you think the entire South/Southeast is "rural"?  Atlanta here, and "y'all" is pretty widely used by everyone, include Northern transplants like myself (I grew up outside Boston).  I have friends from Alabama and Tennessee who also use "y'all."  I found this neat map in wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y'all#/media/File:Y%27allMap.jpg

And do you think the entire Southeast uses "y'all"?

Not in South Florida...aka northern Latin America/southern New York. I'd venture to say anything south of Orlando is not "The South" any more - at least culturally.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 09:37:23 PM by Daisy »

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9128 on: July 09, 2015, 09:47:40 PM »
I expect that any Mustachian in Canada can throw a wedding that costs far less than the median.
Especially since they already own the tuxedo

http://thecanadiantuxedo.com/about/

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9129 on: July 09, 2015, 11:43:18 PM »
"Y'all" tends to be restricted to our rural friends from lower latitudes.   Here in the PNW we say "you guys."
LOL, do you think the entire South/Southeast is "rural"?  Atlanta here, and "y'all" is pretty widely used by everyone, include Northern transplants like myself (I grew up outside Boston).  I have friends from Alabama and Tennessee who also use "y'all."  I found this neat map in wikipedia:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y'all#/media/File:Y%27allMap.jpg

And do you think the entire Southeast uses "y'all"?

Not in South Florida...aka northern Latin America/southern New York. I'd venture to say anything south of Orlando is not "The South" any more - at least culturally.
Oh yeah, sorry.  Florida is generally carved out from "the South" :-)

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9130 on: July 10, 2015, 05:37:38 AM »
... I studied several Romance languages at school and always appreciated being able to distinguish between the singular 'you' and the plural 'you', especially on the internet where tone fails can result in a lot of fallout. I therefore took to using "y'all" when I mean "you people generally" as it lessens the chance of an individual poster thinking that I am talking about (and possibly insulting) them personally. In this case I used it to distinguish between "you, the poster I am replying to" and "all of you Americans generally".

Another option, used about as often as y'all in this area, is y'uns. Short for you 'uns, of course.

ETA a husband tells me "y'all" was pretty well universally adopted aboard ship (US Navy) because it fills a practical need.

Gotta love the 'burgh!!

I think the pronunciation is different, but I wonder if the two uses have a common source?

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9131 on: July 10, 2015, 05:47:58 AM »

All y'all ain't never seen a reflexive double negative before?

Naw, we done seen that.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #9132 on: July 10, 2015, 09:45:39 AM »

Beaverlick, Ky is a wonderful little community; and the locals get a bit mad when you laugh at the name.
I grew up in West Middlesex, and now live near Beaver Falls, Beaver, and the Beaver River.  Seems like a normal name to me!

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9133 on: July 10, 2015, 11:21:14 AM »
my boss bought a new car this past weekend... because her 2013 vehicle got keyed along one door.  She bought the same vehicle only a few years newer.
Uh oh time for an oil change. Might as well buy a new car instead of paying the $50 to get it changed at the dealer... I guess some people never learn!

...or changing it in the driveway yourself... Takes me about 20 mins including cleaning up.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9134 on: July 10, 2015, 11:36:29 AM »
my boss bought a new car this past weekend... because her 2013 vehicle got keyed along one door.  She bought the same vehicle only a few years newer.
Uh oh time for an oil change. Might as well buy a new car instead of paying the $50 to get it changed at the dealer... I guess some people never learn!

...or changing it in the driveway yourself... Takes me about 20 mins including cleaning up.

Reminds me of Krusty the Klown speaking to an assistant, "My home's dirty, go buy me a new one."

onehair

• Bristles
« Reply #9135 on: July 10, 2015, 11:48:41 AM »
I have overheard 2 of my coworkers on another floor:
1)Taking out  3 4 or more credit union loans successively to travel with no count boyfriend.  Same coworker's mom was heavy into payday loans, a gambling habit plus supporting a drug using son and lazy adult grandchildren.
2)Another supporting 2 adult daughters one of whom has a child and may be pregnant with another.  Neither daughter graduated high school one dropped out one got a certificate stating she'd completed 12 years.  Older one has a $600 car note and job doesn't cover it.   Younger one doesn't work at all.
As for myself I used to be addicted to the vending machine daily for 2 honey buns $1.25 each at the time and a bottle of tea from the machine $1.75.  After casually calculating I was wasting $21.25 or more per week on that thieving machine, I facepunched myself then started buying my buns from the grocery store $1 apiece or donuts  $.66 apiece from Shoppers Food Warehouse ( Shoppers has huge donuts lol I am partial) and drinks also since sometimes they are $1 each or 3 for $5.  On occasion I do bake my own as well cutting it to almost free.

We won't discuss lunch out that was $10-15 per day which I have cut down to maybe twice monthly. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9136 on: July 10, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »

Some cars, sure. But I can't get the oil filter on my Miata off without a lot of swearing and annoyances. Frankly, I'll go to the shop to do it every time. Besides, after the cost of oil it is about $10 for them to do it for me.

Amasa

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9137 on: July 10, 2015, 12:12:40 PM »
Asked a coworker if she wanted to head out to lunch with me (my biggest clown habit).

CW: No, I'm going to the store because I have a 15% off coupon and another $10 coupon so it's time to shop. Want to come?
Me: Nope, no shopping budget this month since I have a vacation planned.
CW: I don't have a shopping budget either but I'll put it on my credit card and worry about it later.

Welcome to the forums! :)

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #9138 on: July 10, 2015, 12:23:46 PM »
My wife's birthday was about a month ago, and someone (probably one of her students' parents) gave her a $15 Sephora gift card. She'd never even been in a Sephora store before, but since she needed new eyeliner decided we'd make a rare trek to the mall so she could use the gift card. And promptly discovered that almost NOTHING in that store is under $15. We spent like 15-20 minutes in the store as she looked around for ANYTHING that she had a use for that was under the value of the gift card (or at least near it), spending the entire time voicing her disbelief at why anyone would spend $40+ on eyeliner when she could get essentially the same thing at the grocery store for $5.

I'd give away that gift card before I'd use it if I wasn't absolutely thrilled with what I was buying. Let someone else endure the cost of using it. ;)
There are sites online that you can sell the gift card for some % of the value.  I regularly sell gift cards that I don't want.
Eh, it was worth the time spent there for the amusement and reminder of why my wife is so great. Somewhat amusingly, the eyeliner that she ended up finding and getting apparently turned out to be, at least in her observation, solidly better than the cheap kind she usually got- but no nearly enough to go back there for more. :P

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #9139 on: July 10, 2015, 02:01:57 PM »

Rural, do you live in the Southern Appalachians? Y'uns was the preferred second-person plural among the natives of Rabun Co., Georgia, in the very northeastern corner of the state. It was a fascinating and incredibly annoying bit of regional dialect. I only recently learned that the word is shared by the people of Pittsburgh.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9140 on: July 10, 2015, 02:54:08 PM »

Oh boy, now I'll have to try and sneak "all y'all" into daily conversation and see if anyone notices!

FuturePrimitive

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9141 on: July 10, 2015, 03:15:04 PM »
Ho. Lee. Crap. I can't believe I read the whole thing. Took me a month or so but its good to have goals.

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9142 on: July 10, 2015, 05:01:17 PM »
I have to call myself out as I went out for lunch twice this week. I will go out some Fridays for lunch but stupid me was in a rush to leave for work on Wed. that I forgot my lunch in the fridge. So instead I went to Wendys, only spent $5 but still that is $5 I could have saved. I also went out today but that was planned.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9143 on: July 10, 2015, 09:41:26 PM »

Rural, do you live in the Southern Appalachians? Y'uns was the preferred second-person plural among the natives of Rabun Co., Georgia, in the very northeastern corner of the state. It was a fascinating and incredibly annoying bit of regional dialect. I only recently learned that the word is shared by the people of Pittsburgh.

I only learned it from Dragoncar!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9144 on: July 11, 2015, 06:45:38 AM »
Co-worker A is leaving to make six-figures at a consulting gig. She'll be traveling all week and just home for weekends. All expenses during the week will be comped. Co-worker B and I were telling her that she should "live" with her mom on the weekends since she would have essentially zero expenses and could save about six-figures a year.

Instead, A is going to get a bigger apartment (she won't be using all week), with a new couch (the old one has dog pee on it--I'm guessing the new one soon will also), and paying for dog care during the week (instead of the dog keeping her mom company for free), a new phone, etc.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9145 on: July 11, 2015, 08:42:37 AM »
Instead, A is going to get a bigger apartment (she won't be using all week), with a new couch (the old one has dog pee on it--I'm guessing the new one soon will also),

Awesome.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9146 on: July 11, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »
Poor doggie.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #9147 on: July 11, 2015, 12:06:49 PM »
Poor doggie.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9148 on: July 11, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »
Poor doggie.

RysChristensen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9149 on: July 11, 2015, 03:16:43 PM »
Poor pet sitter. 5 days a week of mopping up after the poor doggie....