Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13267004 times)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5650 on: December 02, 2014, 11:52:33 AM »
It's a college campus, so there's a Tim Horton's, a Starbucks, the aforementioned Quiznos, a cafeteria and a pub.

I'm curious about the pub.  We've got one on our campus here, but it was my understanding that it's very rare to have a pub or bar on a college campus.  As in, only two or three colleges besides University of Alaska Fairbanks has one.  So, where are you?  If you don't mind my asking.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #5651 on: December 02, 2014, 12:00:30 PM »
I used to have grocery delivery. I spent $200/month on it as a single person, and that got me a weekly bin of in-season local organic produce, plus whatever else I needed - typically a loaf of bread (pre-breadmaking days), carton of soy milk, couple packages of tofu, tempeh, or veggie burgers, fresh herbs, grains, and whatever other little things I needed.

It was pretty helpful at expanding my cooking repertoire because the produce changed every week.

It's more than I would want to pay now, but it sure was nice as a single person.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5652 on: December 02, 2014, 12:04:45 PM »
With this logic, why not outsource everything?  Mowing the lawn, housecleaning, laundry, simple house repairs, food prep, etc?  After all, I can make more doing my one specialty thing then I can save doing those other things.

This is literally the whole point of specialization and professions.

If I can mow my lawn okay, and be a great lawyer, it makes total sense to be a great lawyer as much as possible and pay my neighbor to mow my lawn (even if he doesn't do it as well - but it's his best specialization.)

That's how the economy moves forward! We all figure out what we're good at and leave the rest to others.

You can mock that, but it's mutually beneficial to... well, literally everyone: you, the person you hire, the government who gets taxes, the myriad people who rely on what those taxes get spent on (including, again, you and the person you hire.)

The issue becomes when you're spending money wastefully without getting a winning trade-off from it. Spending $4 to make $185 is awesome. Spending $4 to relax and rejuvenate so tomorrow you can make $185 better and easier is also awesome. Spending $4 to do nothing, so that tomorrow you can also do nothing, because you never do anything, is not awesome.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5653 on: December 02, 2014, 12:04:58 PM »
It's a college campus, so there's a Tim Horton's, a Starbucks, the aforementioned Quiznos, a cafeteria and a pub.

I'm curious about the pub.  We've got one on our campus here, but it was my understanding that it's very rare to have a pub or bar on a college campus.  As in, only two or three colleges besides University of Alaska Fairbanks has one.  So, where are you?  If you don't mind my asking.

Not that rare:

http://collegestats.org/2012/12/21-best-campus-bars/

I wish we had one on ours, although by the time I turned 21 and could have used it, I was past the 'lets get drunk' phase, and I bet the bar scene on a college campus is really annoying.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5654 on: December 02, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
With this logic, why not outsource everything?  Mowing the lawn, housecleaning, laundry, simple house repairs, food prep, etc?  After all, I can make more doing my one specialty thing then I can save doing those other things.

If I can mow my lawn okay, and be a great lawyer, it makes total sense to be a great lawyer as much as possible and pay my neighbor to mow my lawn (even if he doesn't do it as well - but it's his best specialization.)

That's how the economy moves forward! We all figure out what we're good at and leave the rest to others.

You can mock that, but it's mutually beneficial to... well, literally everyone: you, the person you hire, the government who gets taxes, the myriad people who rely on what those taxes get spent on (including, again, you and the person you hire.)

The issue becomes when you're spending money wastefully without getting a winning trade-off from it. Spending $4 to make $185 is awesome. Spending $4 to relax and rejuvenate so tomorrow you can make $185 better and easier is also awesome. Spending $4 to do nothing, so that tomorrow you can also do nothing, because you never do anything, is not awesome.

As an engineer, I get paid the same whether I mow my lawn or work on a project in off hours. Since I'd much rather be out on the lawn on a nice sunny day than in a cubicle on a Saturday, the choice is obvious.

The whole point of this philosophy is to quit obsessing over money and to do stuff like that for yourself - ever notice that MMM's back-of-the-napkin calculation includes the added value of doing something yourself rather than outsourcing? I believe he calls that worth $50/hr on its own.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5655 on: December 02, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »

Not that rare:

I wish we had one on ours, although by the time I turned 21 and could have used it, I was past the 'lets get drunk' phase, and I bet the bar scene on a college campus is really annoying.

Interesting list. I'm tempted to say I'm jealous of having a craft beer bar on campus, but actually I didn't turn 21 until the very end of my college career, and I definitely wasn't that into craft beer back then (although I'm kind of proud that my first legal liquor store purchase was a 6-pack of Fat Tire), so it would have been pointless.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #5656 on: December 02, 2014, 12:59:36 PM »
People got into a conversation about tjeir new cars today.

26000 @ 8% and 36000 @ 6.9%.
Someone chimed in that getting 6.9% is pretty good, and I'm thinking, "no, it isn't.  The national average is close to 4.

Of course, neither one knows the total, just what the monthly payments are.  Sigh.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #5657 on: December 02, 2014, 01:00:34 PM »

Someone chimed in that getting 6.9% is pretty good, and I'm thinking, "no, it isn't.  The national average is close to 4.

Of course, neither one knows the total, just what the monthly payments are.  Sigh.

Military?

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5658 on: December 02, 2014, 01:15:15 PM »
Safeway delivers for free where I am provided you purchase a minimum amount, I think $200. Ordering online allows you to get exactly what you want and better control your spending since it tallies your cart total as you add items. Plus you save all the time and energy/gas to travel to the store.

Huh. I checked safeway and they say the delivery fee is $9.95 for >$150. Plus a fuel surcharge ("10¢ for every 10¢ increase gas prices above $2.75 per gallon"). That's actually worse than Giant which is only $8 here.
http://www.safeway.com/ShopStores/Shopping-Help#answer_7

So $10 every time I get groceries, probably 4x per month? $500/year in delivery? No thanks, I'll pass.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #5659 on: December 02, 2014, 01:21:28 PM »

Military?

Haha, is it that obvious?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5660 on: December 02, 2014, 01:23:56 PM »

Sounds pretty awesome to me.

;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #5661 on: December 02, 2014, 01:24:31 PM »
I do my own grocery shopping, and kind of enjoy it. However, when I was very pregnant with a toddler in tow, you bet I did curbside pick-up. It was $5 and worth every penny.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5662 on: December 02, 2014, 01:29:46 PM »
I know this is just going further off topic and people are going to get pissed, but I figured I might as well join in.

Bacon, apples, and maple syrup do not belong on a grilled cheese in my books, but at best you're adding a buck to the costs.

GuitarStv, I agree with your calculations but must say you are robbing yourself of a tremendous grilled cheese experience. Bacon and/or apples (not simultaneously) are two of the best things to ever happen to grilled cheese!!! Mmmm...salivating now.

This whole grocery store conversation is very interesting to me because I actually kind of ENJOY grocery shopping. Not enough that I want to go every day, which was actually becoming our tendency after my boyfriend and I moved in together (thankfully now it's more like 2-3x a week, still working on decreasing), but I definitely don't hate it. I'm sure this would change if I had little kids though.
Grocery shopping by myself is like a vacation.  Usually, I go on Saturdays, and I almost always take the 2 year old with me (gives my husband a chance to shower).  I dread the days that I have 3 stops (for deals at various stores).  For some reason getting him and and out of the carseat and cart the 3rd time is the deal breaker.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5663 on: December 02, 2014, 01:34:04 PM »
$3.99 for delivery doesn't seem too bad.  Depending on how far away you are from the store, gas could be easily half that.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5664 on: December 02, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
It costs me less than 2$ to make a LOAF of artisanal bread.  A handful of excellent quality cheese is what . . . 50 cents?  Bacon, apples, and maple syrup do not belong on a grilled cheese in my books, but at best you're adding a buck to the costs.

It's a tremendous rip-off no matter what way you look at it.
You have made a little miscalulation here, based on your private experience. (the article makes an error in showing calculatory prices, too)

It doesnt matter how much it costs YOU to make a loaf, it matters how much it costs some artisan to do it, who has to get its hourly wage, too. How LONG does it take you for your bread? Including getting ingredients, kneading, baking (paying for the big oven and electricity etc.)
Same with the truck food - the truck has to be paid, the guy handing out the food, there is (a lot) of food thrown away.

In restaurants the calculation is roughly food cost*4. At smaller sellers like a food truck it maybe is only *3. So at 10$ that would mean the ingredients - good quality, artisan made - cost ~3$.

Still a tremendous ripp-off for excellent quality?

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #5665 on: December 02, 2014, 02:13:27 PM »

This is only true if you are required to trade off working hours in order to accomplish those tasks.  Nobody works that many hours.  I'm an accountant and I am slammed every year from Jan-Apr but I still shovel my own snow, do minor house/car repairs, prepare my own food and do my own grocery shopping all tax season long.  Doing those tasks not only saves me a crap load of money but it allows me to build valuable skills that will pay dividends for the rest of my life hundreds of times over.  I COULD hire out many of those things and work more hours to pay for them but then I'd be required to work for longer than I want to make sure I can continue to pay for them for the rest of my life.  No thanks.  I'd rather be a well-rounded retired individual at a fairly young age. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5666 on: December 02, 2014, 02:27:39 PM »

This is only true if you are required to trade off working hours in order to accomplish those tasks.  Nobody works that many hours.  I'm an accountant and I am slammed every year from Jan-Apr but I still shovel my own snow, do minor house/car repairs, prepare my own food and do my own grocery shopping all tax season long.  Doing those tasks not only saves me a crap load of money but it allows me to build valuable skills that will pay dividends for the rest of my life hundreds of times over.  I COULD hire out many of those things and work more hours to pay for them but then I'd be required to work for longer than I want to make sure I can continue to pay for them for the rest of my life.  No thanks.  I'd rather be a well-rounded retired individual at a fairly young age.

I used to think this, but am reconsidering.  Some activities are fun -- I'll mow my own lawn even if the neighbor kid offers to do it for free.  But some are not fun/dangerous.  I'm thinking it makes sense for me to hire out, say, cleaning the gutters since I can sit down and pound out an hour of overtime at a much higher rate.  Once I retire, and can no longer make that trade off, I have no problem taking THAT time to learn how to do the roof work.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5667 on: December 02, 2014, 02:57:29 PM »
<someone else>
I used to think this, but am reconsidering.  Some activities are fun -- I'll mow my own lawn even if the neighbor kid offers to do it for free.  But some are not fun/dangerous.  I'm thinking it makes sense for me to hire out, say, cleaning the gutters since I can sit down and pound out an hour of overtime at a much higher rate.  Once I retire, and can no longer make that trade off, I have no problem taking THAT time to learn how to do the roof work.

"I'd be required to work for longer than I want to make sure I can continue to pay for them for the rest of my life" No.  If I work some OT and pay someone to make me a sandwich I am not required to pay someone to make me sandwiches the rest of my life.  In fact working OT now brings FIRE nearer and lowers my life time hours worked.  If you continue to pay people to make you sandwichs when not working OT or in retirement then yes you have a point but I understood all this to be about temporary increases in spending to allow larger temporary increases in earnings.  For convince things & services I try to account for if I would be otherwise directly earning more. 

while working I am trying to maximize the bottom line not minimize expenses - but keeping an eye on quality of life, all things in moderation, etc, standard caveats.  and I do do things for myself when OT is not an option or there are no deadlines.  Others I am sure draw the line differently than I do, great for them.

"Nobody works that many hours." yes some people really do and they are on the clock.  Toss in work travel and it can only get worse.

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5668 on: December 02, 2014, 03:25:23 PM »

Not that rare:

Yes, but are these bars actually on campus, or are they just close to campus and affiliated?  Part of my understanding was that actually having a pub on the campus, rather than just officially or unofficially sanctioned and close by, was what was rare.
Our Pub only serves beer, wine, and cider, plus a few food items like Chex mix, nachos, M&M's, etc.  It's really low-key and just a fun place to hang out, even for staff and faculty.  They barely (or don't) break even, put on a lot of fun events (they're having a champagne tasting soon, host trivia every Tuesday night, etc.), and rarely have problems like fights.  It's not a "let's get wasted!" type of place.  If people want to do that, they can walk down the hill to the Marlin.

austin

• Stubble
« Reply #5669 on: December 02, 2014, 03:44:53 PM »
My alma mater has three university-run bars on campus. It is not a party school.

Fonzico

• Stubble
« Reply #5670 on: December 02, 2014, 04:47:27 PM »

I'm in Canada, so perhaps it's more common here? The University I got my degree at also had a pub on campus. Of course, where I am the drinking age is 18, so they can probably do better business than in the states.

And to answer your other question, yes they are very much on campus, as in part of the main building. The one here does brisk business for lunch, and is definitely a full service bar, as in they sells shots and hi balls as well as beer and wine.

lpep

• Bristles
    • My MMM journal
« Reply #5671 on: December 02, 2014, 05:22:00 PM »
It was always middle-aged people in nice, fancy cars using the grocery store pickup, so I always laughed at them as I walked past.

But I have no idea how much it costs at home... maybe, since I'm that person who always gets more than what's on the list, it could actually save money? Thoughts?

kib

• Stubble
« Reply #5672 on: December 02, 2014, 05:47:34 PM »
Different kind of crazy: I had a co-worker who inherited a condo in NYC, plus a bunch of money.  I mean millions of dollars.  She worked this miserable job and always working extra OT.  One day I went to borrow a pen from her and what did i see in her drawer?  Probably $40,000 worth of uncashed paychecks.  She said she was "saving them for a rainy day".  Far as I know, she died saving for a rainy day.  Good frugality IQ, terrible quality of life filter.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5673 on: December 02, 2014, 06:40:31 PM »
CW: There's no way I could cancel my cable, even if it was double that price.

Sounds like I have an idea to sell to comcast...

Probably $40,000 worth of uncashed paychecks.  She said she was "saving them for a rainy day".

The most stupid part is that often checks are only valid for a certain amount of time - a year, 90 days, that sort of thing. Businesses absolutely hate having outstanding checks kicking around; they're liabilities that have to be funded and nobody likes idle cash sitting there, taunting... except, apparently, her.

Malaysia41

• Magnum Stache
    • My mmm journal
« Reply #5674 on: December 02, 2014, 06:40:45 PM »
Different kind of crazy: I had a co-worker who inherited a condo in NYC, plus a bunch of money.  I mean millions of dollars.  She worked this miserable job and always working extra OT.  One day I went to borrow a pen from her and what did i see in her drawer?  Probably $40,000 worth of uncashed paychecks.  She said she was "saving them for a rainy day".  Far as I know, she died saving for a rainy day.  Good frugality IQ, terrible quality of life filter.

I don't even get that.  Don't paychecks expire after a set time like 90 or 120 days?  Does not compute.  I mean, at the very least, cash them and stuff the money in a drawer. 

Yes, hers IS a different kind of crazy. 

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #5675 on: December 02, 2014, 06:51:47 PM »
I heard one today.

CW1: How was your holiday?
CW2: It was good - I picked up my friend in Longview [we're in Seattle] and we drove down to Portland to do Black Friday shopping.
CW1: Oh, was that crazy?
CW2: Actually it wasn't as crowded as I was afraid of.

So this lady drove a total of six hours to go shopping - on the worst shopping day of the year. I like Portland as well as the next person, but good grief.

I guess if she was already planning to visit her friend this is maybe SLIGHTLY less crazy, but only slightly.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5676 on: December 02, 2014, 07:21:57 PM »
Yeah, my friend jokes about going to Portland (10 hour drive) to shop to not pay the 9% or so california tax. I tell her she'd have to spend about two grand to make it worth it... of course, if she buys a single item like a nice macbook, it'd literally be cheaper to fly there and back (and take the opportunity to enjoy the town.)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5677 on: December 02, 2014, 09:47:28 PM »
It was always middle-aged people in nice, fancy cars using the grocery store pickup, so I always laughed at them as I walked past.

But I have no idea how much it costs at home... maybe, since I'm that person who always gets more than what's on the list, it could actually save money? Thoughts?
We cut our grocery bill from $800/month to about $200-250 (two people, including grocery delivery fees).  The best part about the service is that I can sit in my kitchen, look in my pantries, and add only what's needed.  I'm also able to calculate the $/pound (for items we use a lot--rice, beans, eggs, etc.).  We order groceries (on average) 3 times per month.  The delivery fees just increased from $3 to $5. 

I don't have the willpower to walk past the cookie aisle without a few additions.  I'm sure the grocery websites will get slicker, and more difficult to resist temptation, but online grocery delivery through WalMart is working for us.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #5678 on: December 03, 2014, 12:00:15 AM »
This whole grocery store conversation is very interesting to me because I actually kind of ENJOY grocery shopping. Not enough that I want to go every day, which was actually becoming our tendency after my boyfriend and I moved in together (thankfully now it's more like 2-3x a week, still working on decreasing), but I definitely don't hate it. I'm sure this would change if I had little kids though.

Like you I enjoy the experience, and even with little kids it's easy. My kids are four and two, we've been going every Saturday morning (around 8am when it's nice a quiet), since they were one year old. It's a good bonding experience for us and gives me the opportunity to discuss money and wants/needs with them.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 12:01:55 AM by gooki »

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #5679 on: December 03, 2014, 05:38:31 AM »

We cut our grocery bill from $800/month to about $200-250 (two people, including grocery delivery fees).  The best part about the service is that I can sit in my kitchen, look in my pantries, and add only what's needed.  I'm also able to calculate the $/pound (for items we use a lot--rice, beans, eggs, etc.).  We order groceries (on average) 3 times per month.  The delivery fees just increased from $3 to $5. 

I don't have the willpower to walk past the cookie aisle without a few additions.  I'm sure the grocery websites will get slicker, and more difficult to resist temptation, but online grocery delivery through WalMart is working for us.

How many cookies could you possibly being walking past to quadruple your grocery bill?

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #5680 on: December 03, 2014, 06:06:25 AM »
Overheard the team a room over talking about a 'order-by-phone, pick-up at store entrance' convenience application/service they would like to see implemented at ... wait for it... the grocery store.

Alternative ideas included a order by phone app/online and deliver to door service. Again, for groceries.
Hmmm.  I've been doing this for about a year. It started with a broken leg and was a godsend while I was housebound. They even carried it up my stairs for me. I kept doing it because it taught me how to plan meals and kept me from wasting food.   I started with pea pod by giant, but about 5 months ago, a few new services started that let you order and get your stuff within 2 hours!  Instacart!  Love it. They send their people out to Costco, Safeway, Harris teeter, whole foods. And two hours later they're delivering a case of Kim Crawford Sauvignon blanc to my door and a rotisserie chicken, enough toilet paper for an army, and a month's supply of kitty litter..I love it. Guess what?  It allows me to finish up another hour of work rather than spending time driving to/from fighting crowds, etc. it costs about 3.99 for delivery and the food is usually uncharged too, but in that one hour, I'll make  about $185. So why do we make people feel guilty for these choices?

Everything made sense until the end. You're spending money (on a valuable service), but how are you making $185?

jordanread

« Reply #5681 on: December 03, 2014, 06:29:56 AM »
Overheard the team a room over talking about a 'order-by-phone, pick-up at store entrance' convenience application/service they would like to see implemented at ... wait for it... the grocery store.

Alternative ideas included a order by phone app/online and deliver to door service. Again, for groceries.
Hmmm.  I've been doing this for about a year. It started with a broken leg and was a godsend while I was housebound. They even carried it up my stairs for me. I kept doing it because it taught me how to plan meals and kept me from wasting food.   I started with pea pod by giant, but about 5 months ago, a few new services started that let you order and get your stuff within 2 hours!  Instacart!  Love it. They send their people out to Costco, Safeway, Harris teeter, whole foods. And two hours later they're delivering a case of Kim Crawford Sauvignon blanc to my door and a rotisserie chicken, enough toilet paper for an army, and a month's supply of kitty litter..I love it. Guess what?  It allows me to finish up another hour of work rather than spending time driving to/from fighting crowds, etc. it costs about 3.99 for delivery and the food is usually uncharged too, but in that one hour, I'll make  about $185. So why do we make people feel guilty for these choices?

Everything made sense until the end. You're spending money (on a valuable service), but how are you making $185?

Working and outsourcing instead of spending that time not working and doing the task.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #5682 on: December 03, 2014, 08:10:25 AM »
I don't mind grocery shopping now - it's become sort of a game where we find deals, and with two people to split the load between for carrying stuff home it's way easier. Boyfriend also deals with any incidentals that come up during the week. In my previous life as a single person it a bit of a chore though.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5683 on: December 03, 2014, 09:36:44 AM »
I had one or two years when I had an infant and a toddler and I LOVED the grocery delivery.  Just me and an infant in a grocery store, I can handle that.  Heck, me and a toddler would be fine, but the both of them was just tough and slowed the shopping to a crawl.  Plus there would be the occasional trip where one of them would lose it over something and I had to leave a full cart of groceries in the store - no fun. 

So the extra $5 for peapod delivery was well worth it.  Now, I don't need it and I like doing my own shopping.  The down side of delivery is that you don't get to pick out your own produce, meats and you can end up with stuff you would prefer not to have.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5684 on: December 03, 2014, 11:13:04 AM »
Like you I enjoy the experience, and even with little kids it's easy. My kids are four and two, we've been going every Saturday morning (around 8am when it's nice a quiet), since they were one year old. It's a good bonding experience for us and gives me the opportunity to discuss money and wants/needs with them.

Wow, you brought back some old memories I haven't though of in decades.  I used to go grocery shopping with my mom on Saturday mornings when I was a kid as well, and always looked forward to it.  Thanks for digging that one up out of the depths for me :-)

SisterX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5685 on: December 03, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »

I like grocery shopping too, even with my toddler.  But, she loves going to the store.  She's so active that all the colors and lights and people and all the sensations are perfect for her because she loves to take it all in.  For some kids that's incredibly overwhelming.  So while I've never had a bad grocery run with my daughter, I regularly see kids who are melting down over nothing because it's just too much for them to handle.  I think this is one thing where YMMV greatly, and for some people the small fee is worth the avoided headaches, at least occasionally.

ash7962

• Bristles
« Reply #5686 on: December 03, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »

Not that rare:

Yes, but are these bars actually on campus, or are they just close to campus and affiliated?  Part of my understanding was that actually having a pub on the campus, rather than just officially or unofficially sanctioned and close by, was what was rare.
Our Pub only serves beer, wine, and cider, plus a few food items like Chex mix, nachos, M&M's, etc.  It's really low-key and just a fun place to hang out, even for staff and faculty.  They barely (or don't) break even, put on a lot of fun events (they're having a champagne tasting soon, host trivia every Tuesday night, etc.), and rarely have problems like fights.  It's not a "let's get wasted!" type of place.  If people want to do that, they can walk down the hill to the Marlin.

I could name 6 bars on my college campus (not affiliated with the university though), and I'm probably missing a couple.  It was a fairly big party school though, but also had a good engineering program!  I went for the engineering program... Its University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign if you're curious.

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #5687 on: December 03, 2014, 12:11:02 PM »

Not that rare:

I could name 6 bars on my college campus (not affiliated with the university though), and I'm probably missing a couple.  It was a fairly big party school though, but also had a good engineering program!  I went for the engineering program... Its University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign if you're curious.

I went to a small southern private women's college, and it had an on-campus pub.  Alcohol was forbidden in the dorms (a rule frequently ignored) as were boys (a rule that was usually followed) and the pub was a way for the college to permit moderate drinking, or a date with a new guy who you didn't necessarily want to meet at a frat house, without leaving campus.  In those days, the drinking age was 18, and I sort of regarded the pub as a safe place to have a beer and walk home.  After the first couple of times I staggered home, I learned my limit, with no harm done. 

I believe the pub is still open and active. 

sky_northern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5688 on: December 03, 2014, 02:31:20 PM »

I'm in Canada, so perhaps it's more common here? The University I got my degree at also had a pub on campus. Of course, where I am the drinking age is 18, so they can probably do better business than in the states.

And to answer your other question, yes they are very much on campus, as in part of the main building. The one here does brisk business for lunch, and is definitely a full service bar, as in they sells shots and hi balls as well as beer and wine.

My very small Canadian University had a pub in it - in the 'Agora' -  there was the cafeteria, the pub and a Tim Horton. Those were your on-campus options.And Campus was a bit way from the build of the city.

boyerbt

• Bristles
« Reply #5689 on: December 03, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »

Not that rare:

The University of Cincinnati has one bar/pub physically at the center of campus. It is located in the basement of the student center (TUC) and is called the Catskeller. All of the other bars and pubs were technically off campus but only by being on the opposite side of the road that mirrors campus.

jba302

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5690 on: December 03, 2014, 04:03:58 PM »

Class of 2005 here. Off the top of my head -
Murphys
Brothers
Kams
CO's
Firehaus
Legends
Illini Inn
Clybourne

Then some more out of the way stuff, cowboy monkey and others. I feel like I'm missing some.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5691 on: December 03, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »

How many cookies could you possibly being walking past to quadruple your grocery bill?
Ha!  :)  I really like cookies!

I struggle with sticking to a list when I go grocery shopping.  I'm still getting comfortable cooking, and I also love snacks.  I've found grocery delivery works for me.  I'm not tempted by prepared food because I don't see it.  I'm also forced to be creative between deliveries.  No quick stops at the grocery store to pick up an item (that multiples to 10 items). 

I shared my story to show that things that might be unmustachian can help your bottom line (and waist line).

Beric01

• Handlebar Stache
  • Law-abiding cyclist
« Reply #5692 on: December 03, 2014, 04:22:00 PM »

I struggle with sticking to a list when I go grocery shopping.  I'm still getting comfortable cooking, and I also love snacks.  I've found grocery delivery works for me.  I'm not tempted by prepared food because I don't see it.  I'm also forced to be creative between deliveries.  No quick stops at the grocery store to pick up an item (that multiples to 10 items). 

I shared my story to show that things that might be unmustachian can help your bottom line (and waist line).

Ha - I was exactly the same way! I have a major sweet tooth and was buying 2-3 packages of cookies every time I went to the store. No problem with the waistline (I'm blessed genetically there) but definitely not good for my health.

I've recently gone cold turkey with cookies and sweets, and am now buying raw unsalted nuts. Hopefully that helps!

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5693 on: December 03, 2014, 06:08:13 PM »

Ha - I was exactly the same way! I have a major sweet tooth and was buying 2-3 packages of cookies every time I went to the store. No problem with the waistline (I'm blessed genetically there) but definitely not good for my health.

I've recently gone cold turkey with cookies and sweets, and am now buying raw unsalted nuts. Hopefully that helps!

I have VERY rarely wanted cookies or ice cream bad enough to go out and get them; few minutes of will power at the store or while pointing/clicking is way easier than 24/7 power.

wepner

• Stubble
« Reply #5694 on: December 03, 2014, 06:42:44 PM »

Yeah I was just giving you a hard time, small trips and a few extra things each time add up for sure. :)

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5695 on: December 04, 2014, 02:11:06 PM »

I have VERY rarely wanted cookies or ice cream bad enough to go out and get them; few minutes of will power at the store or while pointing/clicking is way easier than 24/7 power.

Really? I have made ice cream runs way too often in my life, and I make cookies when the mood strikes, actually I don't make them near as often as the mood striking, or I would weigh a lot more.

mxt0133

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5696 on: December 04, 2014, 03:04:40 PM »
I'm listing to some coworkers right now talk about fancy restaurants and their discussing what they paid.

Employee1:  I looked at the menu and saw wine paring for $220 and thought well sure for $20 bucks more we can have some wine with our meals.  But then when I got the check it was $220 just for the wine pairing and did not include the $200 meal.

Employee2:  For two people at French Laundry, without wine it was about $750.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-french-laundry-yountville-2

I eating my non-fancy mixed nuts and almost chocked on an almond when I heard that one meal for two cost half my rent or food for a month for a family of 4.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5697 on: December 04, 2014, 05:59:10 PM »

Really? I have made ice cream runs way too often in my life, and I make cookies when the mood strikes, actually I don't make them near as often as the mood striking, or I would weigh a lot more.

About a dozen years ago I came up with the Ice Cream Rule.  It has two parts:
1.  Ice Cream (or similar frozen treats) is not allowed in my house
2.  I can have ice cream whenever I want, but I must walk to get it

There's a Baskin Robbins two blocks away, so this could be dangerous.  But I've found I'm too cheap to pay ice cream parlor prices (I think I've only been there twice ever) and too lazy to make a special trip walking the 3/4 mile to the grocery store for cheaper options.  So not too tempting.

But then the nearby 7-11 (that I pass all the time) started stocking single serve Haagen-Dazs.  I may need a new rule.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5698 on: December 04, 2014, 06:07:51 PM »
I finally have a contribution to this thread, though I struggled with where to place it.  It is both antimustachian and anti-antimustachian.

The other day at an organization-wide meeting, the director mentioned, "...and another good news story:  I'm told that 45% of FERS employees* contribute at least 5% to their TSP**."

My coworker then turned to me and said "What good news?  That's terrible!"

So kudos to my one coworker for recognizing this is not a "good news story" (and, presumably, contributing at least 5% to her own TSP) and shame on the over half of eligible coworkers who are leaving free money on the table!

* FERS is the federal retirement system under which employees are eligible for an employer match to their contributions
** 5% is the contribution amount to maximize the employer match.  TSP is the gov't version of 401(k)

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #5699 on: December 04, 2014, 09:16:56 PM »
About a dozen years ago I came up with the Ice Cream Rule.  It has two parts:
1.  Ice Cream (or similar frozen treats) is not allowed in my house
2.  I can have ice cream whenever I want, but I must walk to get it

There's a Baskin Robbins two blocks away, so this could be dangerous.  But I've found I'm too cheap to pay ice cream parlor prices (I think I've only been there twice ever) and too lazy to make a special trip walking the 3/4 mile to the grocery store for cheaper options.  So not too tempting.

But then the nearby 7-11 (that I pass all the time) started stocking single serve Haagen-Dazs.  I may need a new rule.

No more ice cream than your body has room for is a good start.