Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13253036 times)

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5050 on: October 30, 2014, 05:06:20 PM »
For someone like that you should explain the math of making the deposit to get the match and then immediately withdrawing the contribution and taking the 10% penalty they'll come out ahead. Just do the math for how much and show them.

If you care.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

civil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5051 on: October 30, 2014, 06:44:43 PM »
Oh, the joys of a joint service environment. Today:

Sailor: I can't afford anything. I don't know where I'm gonna live.
Civilian 1: We have an internal roommates board you can look at. A room is usually six to eight hundred a month around here.
Sailor: I won't live with other people, that sh!t's for civilians. And married people.
Civilian 2: Your BAH [tax-free housing allowance] should cover an apartment, apartments are like 1400 for a one-bedroom or 1500 for a two-bed.
Sailor: BAH is only 1900. I shouldn't have to live in a two-bedroom! This is so f'd up. Besides, my BAH already goes to the car [a new WRX].
Civilian 1: Dude, your BAH alone is more than my paycheck. You can make it work.
Civilian 2: Well, if you're worried about money, there are lots of military benefits you can take advantage of. Go to the commissary! My husband goes there, and you can save 50% easy, if you shop right!
Sailor: Yeahhhhh... I don't use the commissary, because that's... a Navy thing. And I don't really like things that have to do with the Navy.
Civilian 2: You're an idiot.

Sadly, this earned the civilians a talking-to from the Navy chief.

The Army officer across the hall is some sort of super-Mustachian who takes home the civilian-equivalent of a 193K salary and lives in an 8x8 room. Wish we could get him to give lessons.

vern

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5052 on: October 31, 2014, 01:34:02 AM »
The Army officer across the hall is some sort of super-Mustachian who takes home the civilian-equivalent of a 193K salary and lives in an 8x8 room. Wish we could get him to give lessons.

That reminds me...I once watched a Warrant Officer 4 eat out of the garbage because he wouldn't pay the 85 cents it cost for breakfast in the mess hall.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5053 on: October 31, 2014, 07:02:20 AM »
What really irritates me is that I hear it so often in relation to people on benefits where their benefits get gradually withdrawn the more they earn.  It can mean that there is a high marginal rate of tax on their earnings over a certain level, but they still end up with more money that they are providing for themselves and on the first step to getting off benefits.  But no, it's "not worth it".
Principally due to the phaseout of EITC and certain state tax incentives at low income levels there are times when an additional dollar of income is taxed at an effective rate of over 100%, particularly when other non-income benefits like food stamps, utilities assistance etc. are taken into account. The big picture (whether the effective rate of taxation is 80% of 95% or 110%) is that there's a big doldrums where for income levels between roughly $18,000 and $32000 annually, increasing income doesn't translate into increased buying power. So no, for many people it's not worth it to kill yourself putting in overtime hours at your job at Big Lots in order to received no material recompense. An easy solution would be to use a guaranteed minimum income system instead of EITC but fat chance of that ever happening here in neoliberal utopia.

I'm sure you are right for the USA.  I should have said that I was thinking of the UK, where the benefits/tax credit system pretty much removes the problem of losing money but does mean that extra money earned means more money in the pocket, giving it a high marginal "tax" rate in lost benefits which is too often translated to "it's not worth it because I lose so much".  There's a learned dependence which means that far too often people limit their own horizons, to their own long-term detriment.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5054 on: October 31, 2014, 07:42:42 AM »
For someone like that you should explain the math of making the deposit to get the match and then immediately withdrawing the contribution and taking the 10% penalty they'll come out ahead. Just do the math for how much and show them.

If you care.

I was under the impression that the matched money is not truly yours until you have been an employee for a certain length of time, and you have not withdrawn it.  To prevent exactly what you are describing. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5055 on: October 31, 2014, 07:51:26 AM »

If you care.

I was under the impression that the matched money is not truly yours until you have been an employee for a certain length of time, and you have not withdrawn it.  To prevent exactly what you are describing.

This varies by company and plan.

Mine has a 3 year vesting period, but once you are after that time all company contributions are immediately vested.

What's more important is being able to take inservice withdrawals as I don't think I can actually withdraw money from my 401k directly unless I put it into an IRA. Then I can cash it out completely when I leave, weeee!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5056 on: October 31, 2014, 08:04:19 AM »

If you care.

Mine has a 3 year vesting period, but once you are after that time all company contributions are immediately vested.

What's more important is being able to take inservice withdrawals as I don't think I can actually withdraw money from my 401k directly unless I put it into an IRA. Then I can cash it out completely when I leave, weeee!

The person he was advising just became an employee on Oct 1 though.  I've never heard of a company that didn't have a vesting period.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5057 on: October 31, 2014, 10:31:11 AM »
They can't withdraw their own money though?  Or just the matched money?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

RFAAOATB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5058 on: October 31, 2014, 10:41:56 AM »

Sailor: BAH is only 1900. I shouldn't have to live in a two-bedroom! This is so f'd up. Besides, my BAH already goes to the car [a new WRX].

Basic Allowance for HOUSING used for a car?  Guess the car just got promoted to house.  Dude can live in the parking lot.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5059 on: October 31, 2014, 11:21:47 AM »
Oh, the joys of a joint service environment. Today:

Sailor: I can't afford anything. I don't know where I'm gonna live.
Civilian 1: We have an internal roommates board you can look at. A room is usually six to eight hundred a month around here.
Sailor: I won't live with other people, that sh!t's for civilians. And married people.
Civilian 2: Your BAH [tax-free housing allowance] should cover an apartment, apartments are like 1400 for a one-bedroom or 1500 for a two-bed.
Civilian 1: Dude, your BAH alone is more than my paycheck. You can make it work.
Civilian 2: Well, if you're worried about money, there are lots of military benefits you can take advantage of. Go to the commissary! My husband goes there, and you can save 50% easy, if you shop right!
Sailor: Yeahhhhh... I don't use the commissary, because that's... a Navy thing. And I don't really like things that have to do with the Navy.
Civilian 2: You're an idiot.

Sadly, this earned the civilians a talking-to from the Navy chief.

Sigh.

So the sailor doesn't like Navy things?  Or is this a Coast guard sailor?

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5060 on: October 31, 2014, 11:48:04 AM »

If you care.

The person he was advising just became an employee on Oct 1 though.  I've never heard of a company that didn't have a vesting period.

I've never dealt with a vesting period.  I've only worked at two companies though.  But the match was mine as soon as it hit my account!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5061 on: October 31, 2014, 12:03:47 PM »
Not overheard at work, but the previous company I slaved for gave us stock options one year.  I was like "Sweet, I've totally heard about this!  I'm going to make some money by immediately selling my options!"

First of all, the number of options wasn't related to position in the company, salary, performance review, or any other factor we could figure out.  Eventually, running the numbers of the sixteen of us who were friends we determined that the options were given out based on employee height.  Our strike price for the stock options was the same as the market value of the stocks for the company (54 cents).  By the time our vesting period was over the company stock was worth just under a cent (it was delisted from the Toronto Stock Exchange a few months after that).

It was not a successful attempt to boost company morale.

greenleaf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5062 on: October 31, 2014, 12:26:58 PM »
Email from my boss:
I'm on vacation today, but will have my blackberry with me and will be returning calls and emails.

Dude.  That's not a vacation. 

And the higher-ups can't figure out why I don't want that job...

thd7t

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5063 on: October 31, 2014, 12:27:40 PM »
I work for the company with instant vesting!  It's awesome and I never expected it!

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5064 on: October 31, 2014, 12:35:24 PM »
Not overheard at work, but the previous company I slaved for gave us stock options one year.  I was like "Sweet, I've totally heard about this!  I'm going to make some money by immediately selling my options!"

First of all, the number of options wasn't related to position in the company, salary, performance review, or any other factor we could figure out.  Eventually, running the numbers of the sixteen of us who were friends we determined that the options were given out based on employee height.  Our strike price for the stock options was the same as the market value of the stocks for the company (54 cents).  By the time our vesting period was over the company stock was worth just under a cent (it was delisted from the Toronto Stock Exchange a few months after that).

Yeah, I just received options this year, too and did not even read how many for several months.  After two of the companies between DH and I did not pan out, even after holding the blue chip one for 5-8 years, the rose colored glasses are broken. Especially when I was told that because they were paying me 20k below my peers (there can be a dividing line for women, but I ensure it doesn't last long), this was all my boss could get to compensate --a very generous number of options.

Right now though, our (new) company stock is up $10 per share, or almost 20%, and I vest the first wave in January.  Wahoo!  Maybe a bit of money this time, and you can bet I won't be holding on waiting for better returns.  I already have too much company stock in the matching company purchase plan.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #5065 on: October 31, 2014, 12:41:55 PM »
Email from my boss:
I'm on vacation today, but will have my blackberry with me and will be returning calls and emails.

This is one of the reasons I left my last job.  Told my boss I was going on a week long vacation camping and he flipped out.  "How will you answer emails and texts?!? Will you have your laptop with you?!?" 

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5066 on: October 31, 2014, 12:52:31 PM »

Just the matched money.  But that would negate all the incentive to do the plan you proposed.  Apparently some companies don't have vesting periods (according to recent posts in this thread), but as far as I know a 3 year vesting period is typical.  Usually you get a certain percentage of the employer contribution after a year or so, and it increases with each passing year (or some other arbitrary length of time) until you are "fully" vested and all the matched contributions are yours.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5067 on: October 31, 2014, 01:26:06 PM »
Email from my boss:

This is one of the reasons I left my last job.  Told my boss I was going on a week long vacation camping and he flipped out.  "How will you answer emails and texts?!? Will you have your laptop with you?!?"

LOL. That's exactly why we plan to camp in the mountains each year.  No service even if you beg.

BooksAreNerdy

• Bristles
« Reply #5068 on: October 31, 2014, 02:00:09 PM »

Yeah, I just received options this year, too and did not even read how many for several months.  After two of the companies between DH and I did not pan out, even after holding the blue chip one for 5-8 years, the rose colored glasses are broken. Especially when I was told that because they were paying me 20k below my peers (there can be a dividing line for women, but I ensure it doesn't last long), this was all my boss could get to compensate --a very generous number of options.

Right now though, our (new) company stock is up $10 per share, or almost 20%, and I vest the first wave in January.  Wahoo!  Maybe a bit of money this time, and you can bet I won't be holding on waiting for better returns.  I already have too much company stock in the matching company purchase plan.

What color does the box look now?

And are those designer?

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5069 on: October 31, 2014, 02:02:23 PM »
Email from my boss:

I hope at some point you explained to him what a "vacation" was. Compared to "working remotely" or "on-call".

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #5070 on: October 31, 2014, 02:15:09 PM »
Email from my boss:

I hope at some point you explained to him what a "vacation" was. Compared to "working remotely" or "on-call".

I did.  He was none too happy.  I also explained to him that the three critical positions that I was covering for should not all be handled by one person because I could walk out the front door and get hit by a bus and they'd be screwed.  He didn't like that either.

Not that I had my phone on but he did call me several times while I was on my honeymoon in Jamaica...

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5071 on: October 31, 2014, 02:47:49 PM »
Y'all have some shitty bosses, or you're in very high management positions.

There's "working from home" and there's "feeling sick but answering emails" and there's "taking a day to run errands" but a real vacation means "find people to take over your responsibilities entirely". I've yet to have a boss who doesn't understand this.

Besides which, the reason a company gives you vacation isn't because they're super nice - it's because they need you to occasionally get rest and come back recharged so you can keep working at a high level for years. A non-vacation vacation just means burnout, not giving a fuck, and/or leaving jobs. Replacing people is really, really fucking expensive - for quite a few jobs in my industry, averages are $50k+ per head. Let's do the math, $50k a head versus, what, twenty hours of productivity a year you might gain if you force people to respond to emails on vacation? More likely two than twenty, if things are properly structured.

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #5072 on: October 31, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »
Email from my boss:

I did.  He was none too happy.  I also explained to him that the three critical positions that I was covering for should not all be handled by one person because I could walk out the front door and get hit by a bus and they'd be screwed.  He didn't like that either.

Not that I had my phone on but he did call me several times while I was on my honeymoon in Jamaica...

Dh and I worked at the same company years ago, and got back from a week-long trip to Mexico to find Dh's work voicemail overflowing with increasingly angry messages from the company president, even though he knew he was on vacation.

My favorite enraged quote: "How DARE you ignore me! I'm the fucking president of this god-damn company, and you WILL show me the respect I deserve!"

Riiight. We didn't last much longer there. Dh was fired within the month, and I walked out a month later.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5073 on: October 31, 2014, 04:30:27 PM »

Just the matched money.  But that would negate all the incentive to do the plan you proposed.  Apparently some companies don't have vesting periods (according to recent posts in this thread), but as far as I know a 3 year vesting period is typical.  Usually you get a certain percentage of the employer contribution after a year or so, and it increases with each passing year (or some other arbitrary length of time) until you are "fully" vested and all the matched contributions are yours.
As a contractor I worked 5 years with one company and was fully vested in their 401k.  When the new contractor took over, we all rebelled because we knew they couldn't get replacements to move where we lived.  We negotiated instant vesting in their 401k and got to keep our current level of vacation.  We did this same thing with the third company that took over the contract as well.  Remember to ask at your new company.  You might be pleasantly surprised.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5074 on: October 31, 2014, 05:12:43 PM »

Mr. Nacho, I don't follow why taking out your contribution with a 10% penalty would negate the incentive as you state. It's a bad idea to pay a penalty at all, but you would come out ahead the way rebs proposed. Contribute $1,700, get a $1,700 match for free, withdraw your $1,700 contribution, pay $170 penalty and $400ish tax. You are left with $1,130 cash and $1,700 in your 401k waiting to vest. So you'd have $2,830 total instead of $1,300 (1,700-400 tax). Not perfect, but it makes more sense than doing nothing right? All you need to do to come out ahead is vest at least $171 to cover the penalty + $1.

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5075 on: October 31, 2014, 05:50:40 PM »
So he spent $1,350 on iPhones within a month! Now he's complaining he doesn't have money for winter tires to put on his brand new (earlier this year) Mazda Miata.

I don't know if I could have avoided saying something along the lines of "There's an app for budgeting so that you don't spend $1400 on phones and don't have the money for winter tires."

He does use Mint.com...only he doesn't stick to his budgets. Cause the last time he brought it up he was telling me how angry Mint was because of all of the money he spent.

I can't remember if I mentioned this in my last post, but he was "bragging" (it sounded like bragging, as does everything he says) about how he's bought cars for cheaper than what he paid for his last laptop.

frugalecon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5076 on: October 31, 2014, 05:56:41 PM »
Email from my boss:

Dh and I worked at the same company years ago, and got back from a week-long trip to Mexico to find Dh's work voicemail overflowing with increasingly angry messages from the company president, even though he knew he was on vacation.

My favorite enraged quote: "How DARE you ignore me! I'm the fucking president of this god-damn company, and you WILL show me the respect I deserve!"

Riiight. We didn't last much longer there. Dh was fired within the month, and I walked out a month later.

So this boss was like the Glenn Close character in "Fatal Attraction"?

greenleaf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5077 on: October 31, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »
Email from my boss:

I've debated trying to explain this to my boss too, or even enlighten him on the mustachian way.  He's actually a really nice guy.  He shields the people that work for him from a lot of nonsense, takes blame, shares credit, etc.  Not sure it would work though, he seems to need all the latest gadgets. It makes me a bit sad when he comes in with a new one.

GardenFun

• Bristles
« Reply #5078 on: October 31, 2014, 08:03:01 PM »
He does use Mint.com...only he doesn't stick to his budgets. Cause the last time he brought it up he was telling me how angry Mint was because of all of the money he spent.
[/quote]

My gosh, this sounds like a conversation between HAL and the astronaut from 2001 A Space Odyssey

philby85

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5079 on: October 31, 2014, 08:33:44 PM »
Email from my boss:

I've debated trying to explain this to my boss too, or even enlighten him on the mustachian way.  He's actually a really nice guy.  He shields the people that work for him from a lot of nonsense, takes blame, shares credit, etc.  Not sure it would work though, he seems to need all the latest gadgets. It makes me a bit sad when he comes in with a new one.

You're missing a golden opportunity. Obviously, there is a balance (you don't want to be checking emails for 4 hours a day while on holidays), but tell them to pay you over time if they contact you while on holidays. Keeps their business running, makes them think twice before calling you, and puts a little extra money in your pocket :)

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5080 on: October 31, 2014, 08:56:15 PM »
You're missing a golden opportunity. Obviously, there is a balance (you don't want to be checking emails for 4 hours a day while on holidays), but tell them to pay you over time if they contact you while on holidays. Keeps their business running, makes them think twice before calling you, and puts a little extra money in your pocket :)

My boss does something similar.  He understands vacation is supposed to be a vacation, but being the only sys admin sometimes (rarely thankfully) they just have to get ahold of me.  If I have to work when on vacation, he credits me back that day of PTO, which is a pretty decent trade-off since it tends to be something quick.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #5081 on: November 01, 2014, 01:42:04 AM »
I had a boss once who would call me, and if I didn't answer, hang up and immediately call again.  After doing this a few times, he'd start sending me text messages telling me to answer the phone.

He fired me after I couldn't come in one day due to my kid being sick.  I was relieved, and kind of amused, since there was no one else who knew how to do my job thoroughly.  So of course the next week he's calling me asking how do I do X, Y, Z... after telling me when I was fired that he'd just handle things himself.

Guy was a total asshat, and kind of creepy.  Good fucking riddance.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5082 on: November 01, 2014, 03:48:18 AM »
I had a boss once who would call me, and if I didn't answer, hang up and immediately call again.  After doing this a few times, he'd start sending me text messages telling me to answer the phone.

He fired me after I couldn't come in one day due to my kid being sick.  I was relieved, and kind of amused, since there was no one else who knew how to do my job thoroughly.  So of course the next week he's calling me asking how do I do X, Y, Z... after telling me when I was fired that he'd just handle things himself.

And you did wrote him a freelance bill? 100$/hour?

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #5083 on: November 01, 2014, 04:42:00 AM »

And you did wrote him a freelance bill? 100$/hour?

Ha.  I should have, but I didn't want to deal with him any more than I had to.  He did put an extra $25 on my last check - which was for the full week even though I only worked half of it.  I decided to call it even.

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5084 on: November 01, 2014, 05:54:18 AM »

Mine has a 3 year vesting period, but once you are after that time all company contributions are immediately !

I've never dealt with a vesting period.  I've only worked at two companies though.  But the match was mine as soon as it hit my account!
I have never dealt with a vesting period either because I have never had a company provide any type of match!  Cannot imagine not being happy to let's someone else contribute to my account though!

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #5085 on: November 01, 2014, 06:06:46 AM »

My boss does something similar.  He understands vacation is supposed to be a vacation, but being the only sys admin sometimes (rarely thankfully) they just have to get ahold of me.  If I have to work when on vacation, he credits me back that day of PTO, which is a pretty decent trade-off since it tends to be something quick.

Yeah, we have an IT consulting firm and sometimes we need to get in touch. But we credit the PTO x 2. It still sucks but it takes the edge off.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #5086 on: November 01, 2014, 07:18:25 AM »

I was the same way. I would buy decent glasses and lose them or break them. Then one of my friends who works on oil rigs introduced me to how amazing safety sunglasses are: http://smile.amazon.com/3M-Virtua-Protective-Eyewear-11327-00000-20/dp/B007JZD754/

$26 for 20 ($1.30 each) and they are nearly indestructible. You can sit on them, keep them in your pocket with keys, or drop them and they won't break. And, even if you lose them they only cost $1.30.

This made my day.  But why is the price so low?  And why would I need 20 if they're so durable?  I can be the guy with weird sunglasses, and when people ask about them, I can hit the glasses with a hammer or something and laugh as the hammer bounces off.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5087 on: November 01, 2014, 07:29:50 AM »
^These look awesome!  Will definitely buy a batch come spring.  Thanks, nawhite!

I would imagine that the price is so low because theoretically a company owner is buying them in bulk to cover his or her ass against a worker filing a disability claim.  The plus side of that is you can wear them to kayak, or in the ocean, etc. and not care too much if they get ripped off your head. 

Let's be real:  items made of tinted molded plastic don't cost very much to manufacture.  Probably all sunglasses should be this cheap.  Polarizing lenses should cost only slightly more.  Anything more than $5/pair and I'm in the camp that says you are paying exclusively for the fashion design or label.

civil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5088 on: November 01, 2014, 07:50:22 AM »

That reminds me...I once watched a Warrant Officer 4 eat out of the garbage because he wouldn't pay the 85 cents it cost for breakfast in the mess hall.

I can believe that. I know several recently-divorced soldiers who dumpster dive. Sometimes they can get an additional food allowance on top of BAS, but it's difficult if someone higher up decides the soldier is spending money in the "wrong" places - like when a judge effectively awarded part of BAS to the soldier's ex (by first lumping all income together), when the Army says BAS is only for the soldier.

Sigh.

He's Navy, but doesn't like military things. (We have both an Army and a Navy commissary nearby, he won't use either.) He's one of the younger guys who has decided the military is not his cup of tea. And I guess he's going to rebel by not using his benefits. That'll show 'em!!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #5089 on: November 01, 2014, 07:59:44 AM »
^These look awesome!  Will definitely buy a batch come spring.  Thanks, nawhite!

I would imagine that the price is so low because theoretically a company owner is buying them in bulk to cover his or her ass against a worker filing a disability claim.  The plus side of that is you can wear them to kayak, or in the ocean, etc. and not care too much if they get ripped off your head. 

Let's be real:  items made of tinted molded plastic don't cost very much to manufacture.  Probably all sunglasses should be this cheap.  Polarizing lenses should cost only slightly more.  Anything more than $5/pair and I'm in the camp that says you are paying exclusively for the fashion design or label.

I agree that designer glasses are a ripoff.  But I have tried and tried with various cheap sunglasses, and have not found any that:
  • Stay in place while running
    Stay in place while riding and don't interfere with my riding helmet
    Don't fog to the point of blindness while running
    Don't pinch my temples or otherwise give me a headache after a few hours of wearing

So I grit my teeth and buy Maui Jims, and kind of consider them a wear item like running shoes, though at least the lenses can be replaced, and they're pretty easy to find on eBay for around half to 60% of retail.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5090 on: November 01, 2014, 09:04:42 AM »

I can believe that. I know several recently-divorced soldiers who dumpster dive. Sometimes they can get an additional food allowance on top of BAS, but it's difficult if someone higher up decides the soldier is spending money in the "wrong" places - like when a judge effectively awarded part of BAS to the soldier's ex (by first lumping all income together), when the Army says BAS is only for the soldier.

Sigh.

He's Navy, but doesn't like military things. (We have both an Army and a Navy commissary nearby, he won't use either.) He's one of the younger guys who has decided the military is not his cup of tea. And I guess he's going to rebel by not using his benefits. That'll show 'em!!
When I was in the Navy I lived in the DC area and I NEVER used the commissary until 3 or 4 years in (out of 5).  It didn't seem very convenient, so I shopped at the nearby stores.  Then I went with my future spouse once and could not BELIEVE the savings.  Boy did I feel like a dummy.

robotclown

• Stubble
« Reply #5091 on: November 01, 2014, 09:15:42 AM »
The commissary does have some savings, but it's really hit-or-miss.  Mostly because everything is name-brand.  Store-brand things at other stores will often be cheaper than the commissary. 

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #5092 on: November 01, 2014, 09:53:23 AM »

I was the same way. I would buy decent glasses and lose them or break them. Then one of my friends who works on oil rigs introduced me to how amazing safety sunglasses are: http://smile.amazon.com/3M-Virtua-Protective-Eyewear-11327-00000-20/dp/B007JZD754/

$26 for 20 ($1.30 each) and they are nearly indestructible. You can sit on them, keep them in your pocket with keys, or drop them and they won't break. And, even if you lose them they only cost $1.30.

This made my day.  But why is the price so low?  And why would I need 20 if they're so durable?  I can be the guy with weird sunglasses, and when people ask about them, I can hit the glasses with a hammer or something and laugh as the hammer bounces off.

I need 20 because I lose about one pair every 3 months. So I'm expecting this box to last me 5 years.

I once told a friend they were indestructible and he didn't believe me. I handed them over and he twisted each lens in a different direction like an "indian burn." The glasses promptly twisted and split apart like any piece of plastic would. But I have also hit them with a hammer too. It leaves a nice round deformation in the plastic that you can't really see through but they don't "break." So they are very impact and shatter resistant, but not at all shear resistant. Just so you know.

mining_melancholy

« Reply #5093 on: November 01, 2014, 10:19:19 AM »
One of my workers recently went through a rough patch when she discovered a long unpaid bill of a few thousand on utilities at a previous house. These had rolled onto her because of her living with an ex and messed up her credit. The whole situation made her very distraught and emotional. Luckily, we were able to get her a bit of a well-deserved raise at the same time, which would help with paying the debt off.

Then she bought a new car. And she still complains about living hand to mouth while I can see the bright paint on that little sedan through the windows.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5094 on: November 01, 2014, 11:38:08 AM »
A group of people are discussing a traditional outfit purchased by a young coworker CW1 on an overseas trip that she's wearing for Halloween:

CW1: it was only $200!
CW2: oh that's not bad at all
CW3, turning around from her desk: oooh I remember the days before I had kids when I could blow $200 on something

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5095 on: November 01, 2014, 12:44:53 PM »
OK, let's go back to stupid names for people's children.  Specifically Kaylee in all its variations.  The legitimate word is Ceilidh (Scots Gaelic) or sometimes Ceili (Irish Gaelic) and it means a party with alcohol and music and dancing and basically having a grand time.  Do the people using this as a girl's name have any clue as to the original meaning?

Guys, please, start a different thread about box colors, it's getting annoying now.

Mkay?

Please

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5096 on: November 01, 2014, 01:22:43 PM »
My friend's daughter is named Kaylee after the character in Firefly.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5097 on: November 01, 2014, 01:34:55 PM »
My friend's daughter is named Kaylee after the character in Firefly.

That's shiny

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5098 on: November 01, 2014, 01:36:23 PM »

Sigh.

When I was in the Navy I lived in the DC area and I NEVER used the commissary until 3 or 4 years in (out of 5).  It didn't seem very convenient, so I shopped at the nearby stores.  Then I went with my future spouse once and could not BELIEVE the savings.  Boy did I feel like a dummy.

I'm certain I'm saving money at the commissary, but sometimes it's difficult to compare since the nearby Safeway carries a lot of different brands or serving sizes.  This is the first time we've shopped almost exclusively at the commissary, but that's because we live just a couple minutes away rather than commuting like previous assignments.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5099 on: November 01, 2014, 01:39:14 PM »
Y'all have some shitty bosses, or you're in very high management positions.

There's "working from home" and there's "feeling sick but answering emails" and there's "taking a day to run errands" but a real vacation means "find people to take over your responsibilities entirely". I've yet to have a boss who doesn't understand this.

Besides which, the reason a company gives you vacation isn't because they're super nice - it's because they need you to occasionally get rest and come back recharged so you can keep working at a high level for years. A non-vacation vacation just means burnout, not giving a fuck, and/or leaving jobs. Replacing people is really, really fucking expensive - for quite a few jobs in my industry, averages are $50k+ per head. Let's do the math, $50k a head versus, what, twenty hours of productivity a year you might gain if you force people to respond to emails on vacation? More likely two than twenty, if things are properly structured.

I smack my head whenever someone in authority goes on vacation but either doesn't leave the area or stays connected.  I know a lot of folks don't mind staying at home during a vacation, but if you're in the kind of work where they're always trying to get a hold of you it just seems like you're asking for it to keep yourself available.