Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252946 times)

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
  • I really didn’t say everything I said - Y. B.
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #5000 on: October 30, 2014, 08:03:39 AM »
Guys, please, start a different thread about box colors, it's getting annoying now.

Mkay?

Please

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5001 on: October 30, 2014, 08:42:23 AM »
The other day, I heard from my officemates that ZTE Grand X2L  smartphone went on a one-day sale.

From the Original price - P11,990 (around $273) to P 1,999. (Around $46).

Some of my officemates went nuts over this! They wanted to buy the phone (even though they had their own functional smartphones). Some asked their friends/relatives to go to the  mall where the ZTE kiosk was located and buy the phone.

In the end, the kiosk (in our city) only had 30-50 available units for sale

Browncoat, what part of Russia are you from? I'm from Moscow, currently living the Mustachian life in San Diego.
I believe thatbrowncat resides in a completely different timezone, as I saw (and almost fell for) the exact same deal :) I realized that a new phone wouldn't be worth the long lines. My current cheapass smartphone still works fine, anyway. I mentally patted myself on the back when I read the news reports about the hordes of angry customers and almost nonexistent stocks of the phone on sale.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5002 on: October 30, 2014, 09:22:45 AM »
Guys, please, start a different thread about box colors, it's getting annoying now.

Mkay?

Please

Sure, whatchu wanna talk about instead?  Pyramid textures?  Sphere contrasts?  Cylinder brightnesses?

AgileTurtle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5003 on: October 30, 2014, 09:29:32 AM »
They explained it to me that if they worked over time, they made more money, which bumped them into a higher tax bracket, which meant they take home less money overall than if they had not worked over time.

Yep, I've heard the exact same thing many times (though never at work, sorry!)  I figure the people in this thread who jump and contort to explain such ignorant statements as possible examples of financial-wizardry are simply lucky enough to have never known such ignorant anti-mustachians, and thus give far too much benefit-of-the-doubt (I think I've even done the same for some other types of statements reported in this thread). Which is weird, since right here are 100 fucking pages documenting the unbelievable stupidity of real-life people! Ah well, hope springs eternal, which is nice, I suppose.

Ive got into countless arguments with people about this. Managers appologies to some employees about having work overtime for "less pay" than regular time because taxes. But there was nothing they could do about it.

I had a job where HR was trying to figure out a way to give bonus without it all going to taxes. The CEO was talking about it. He wanted to give a small bonus that wasnt all eaten up with taxes. And specifically talked about how if your payroll check is "too big" you will lose most your money.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5004 on: October 30, 2014, 09:43:06 AM »
I had a job where HR was trying to figure out a way to give bonus without it all going to taxes. The CEO was talking about it. He wanted to give a small bonus that wasnt all eaten up with taxes. And specifically talked about how if your payroll check is "too big" you will lose most your money.

That seems a bit self-serving, doesn't it? Very convenient for the company if they can convince the average worker that they are better off financially receiving less money. Orwellian, one might say.

Timmmy

• Bristles
« Reply #5005 on: October 30, 2014, 09:57:28 AM »
This withholding discussion is really dumb.  My company does payroll for about 60 small clients.  We can withhold at basically any rate that is specified to us.  Want a bonus check to have no withholding? Done.  Want a bonus check to have withholding to approximate the normal rate? Done.  Want a specific dollar or percentage withheld? Done.

Sounds more like lazy or incompetent payroll staff than anything else. 

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5006 on: October 30, 2014, 10:31:01 AM »

Mkay?

Please

Sure, whatchu wanna talk about instead?  Pyramid textures?  Sphere contrasts?  Cylinder brightnesses?

uhh...are you serious buddy ?

maybe "Overheard at work" stuff would be just fine ?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5007 on: October 30, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »
...So one of my coworkers just started talking about black boxes in planes.  I had to inform him they were actually bright orange so they could be located easier.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #5008 on: October 30, 2014, 10:46:23 AM »
...So one of my coworkers just started talking about black boxes in planes.  I had to inform him they were actually bright orange so they could be located easier.

All my coworkers at the black box factory already knew this.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5009 on: October 30, 2014, 10:51:04 AM »
I'm laughing so hard... I was overheard at work!

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5010 on: October 30, 2014, 10:51:48 AM »

All my coworkers at the black box factory already knew this.

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5011 on: October 30, 2014, 10:52:42 AM »
Is a black box can be red or it's always bright orange ? It's still not clear to me. I have no choice but to read the 4 last pages of this thread again I guess...

Now I'm off for a walk, my co-worker keep talking about buying 3-5 sets (90$/set) of LEGO for their 4 years old (Chistmas is comming soon)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5012 on: October 30, 2014, 10:56:59 AM »
Is a black box can be red or it's always bright orange ? It's still not clear to me. I have no choice but to read the 4 last pages of this thread again I guess...

Now I'm off for a walk, my co-worker keep talking about buying 3-5 sets (90$/set) of LEGO for their 4 years old (Chistmas is comming soon)

You can put oranges in any color box. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5013 on: October 30, 2014, 11:01:24 AM »
This withholding discussion is really dumb.  My company does payroll for about 60 small clients.  We can withhold at basically any rate that is specified to us.  Want a bonus check to have no withholding? Done.  Want a bonus check to have withholding to approximate the normal rate? Done.  Want a specific dollar or percentage withheld? Done.

Sounds more like lazy or incompetent payroll staff than anything else. 
I worked for a company many years ago that paid (smallish) bonuses in Amex travelers cheques to avoid all taxes.  Those "cash" bonuses were never reported, I think.  I think they were usually around $1k or $2k.  I remember they used to distribute them in denominations of $500.  Not sure if that was to get around reporting guidelines or what. 
Yeah, they almost went to jail for other things but they got off.  I wish I had remembered this during the investigation.  I would have reported them because they deserved jail time and if I could have put a nail in the coffin, I might have tried.    I was just a small-fry though.  never benefited from any of the slimy practices. But I did learn a good lesson about people.

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5014 on: October 30, 2014, 11:04:35 AM »
I've heard a lot lately...I'll share a few stories here.

One guy at work has a personal iPhone and his work iPhone. Work allows us to use our work iPhone as a personal with unlimited data for just $25 a month and $10 more for a wifi hotspot with unlimited data. When the iPhone 6 came out, he upgraded his personal iPhone to the iPhone 6 Plus with 128GB. He wanted a full price phone because he didn't want a contract. So total cost is $950. Then work allows us to upgrade our work phones from the "basic" free iPhone to a newer one. We pay the contract price and get to keep the phone to sell when we upgrade next time or leave the employer. He upgraded his work phone to the iPhone 6 128GB for $400. So he spent $1,350 on iPhones within a month! Now he's complaining he doesn't have money for winter tires to put on his brand new (earlier this year) Mazda Miata.

On the same track with iPhones...I upgraded my work phone to the iPhone 6 16GB for $200. I just sold my iPhone 5S on eBay today for $400. I bought that iPhone 5S for $200 last December. After fees I'll make a profit of around $140. I told one of the guys at work (different from the guy above) that I sold it for $400. His first reaction was that I could have gotten a more expensive iPhone. He seemed shocked that I wanted to make a profit and not just break even.

Now back to the first guy...Yesterday somebody asked him about his sunglasses and he kept going off how they were $400 and all of his sunglasses cost more than $350 and that he won't buy cheap sunglasses ever. Then he started to list off all of the other things that he pays more for and how much he pays because he prefers nicer things.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5015 on: October 30, 2014, 12:05:00 PM »
That seems a bit self-serving, doesn't it? Very convenient for the company if they can convince the average worker that they are better off financially receiving less money. Orwellian, one might say.

I don't agree with "Orwellian." (Also, Orwell wrote a lot, so I assume you're directly referencing 1984?) This isn't the government rewriting history, it's just a company trying to pay less money. Are they spying on you? Torturing you? Monitoring your thoughts?

Also, Hanlon's Razor might suggest that they're just stupid, not actively malicious.

So he spent $1,350 on iPhones within a month!

Yayyyyy

Yesterday somebody asked him about his sunglasses and he kept going off how they were $400 and all of his sunglasses cost more than $350 and that he won't buy cheap sunglasses ever.

$400 sunglasses sound like a "buy it for life" kind of thing. I went through quite a few pairs of $5-15 ones (sat on, dropped, sat on, broken, sat on... girls) and for my last road trip went all out and paid $50. Totally worth it, now I can drive from sunup to sundown without getting uncomfortable. (I haven't tried this in an area with a polar never-ending day, though!)

But multiple? What do you need more than one pair for?

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #5016 on: October 30, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »

I don't agree with "Orwellian." (Also, Orwell wrote a lot, so I assume you're directly referencing 1984?) This isn't the government rewriting history, it's just a company trying to pay less money. Are they spying on you? Torturing you? Monitoring your thoughts?

Peel it back a bit and it fits, I think. "War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength, small bonus is big bonus".

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5017 on: October 30, 2014, 12:14:54 PM »

Also, Hanlon's Razor might suggest that they're just stupid, not actively malicious.

I also don't agree that it's orwellian, but the term is a real thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orwellian

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5018 on: October 30, 2014, 12:21:16 PM »

Peel it back a bit and it fits, I think. "War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength, small bonus is big bonus".

Yes. This is precisely how i was using the term.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5019 on: October 30, 2014, 12:24:12 PM »
$400 sunglasses sound like a "buy it for life" kind of thing. I went through quite a few pairs of $5-15 ones (sat on, dropped, sat on, broken, sat on... girls) and for my last road trip went all out and paid $50. Totally worth it, now I can drive from sunup to sundown without getting uncomfortable. (I haven't tried this in an area with a polar never-ending day, though!)

I used to buy $1 sunglasses from the dollar store.

Then I got a $450 MSRP pair of Burberry sunglasses. Paid like $200 with coupons, sale, and taxes. WOW. They were super light on my face. Super super comfortable. The quality of the lens and the tint on it were definitely far superior to the dollar shades I usually wore. I took care of these glasses much more than any of my previous pairs and I truly loved them.  Unfortunately I lost them during a vacation.   :(

I was then gifted a pair of Ray Ban polarized glasses and they are pretty damn good too. The lens quality and tint is amazing. The comfort and fitment aren't as good as the Burberry but Ray Ban aviators will probably always be a classic look.

That all being said, I do think it's worth buying and owning a nicer, higher quality pair of sunglasses but I see absolutely no point in owning more than a couple pairs at one time.

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5020 on: October 30, 2014, 12:28:43 PM »
Yesterday somebody asked him about his sunglasses and he kept going off how they were $400 and all of his sunglasses cost more than $350 and that he won't buy cheap sunglasses ever.

I completely agree about owning a nice pair. When I was in the army I got a pair of Oakley's issued to me during my deployment. I wore those for the next 7-8 years. I finally bought myself a new pair of Oakley's last year. They were $300 sunglasses and I found them for $200. This same co-worker has a similar pair that he said he paid $350 for. I'm all for nice things that will last, but just shop around! No point in paying full price. I also bought some Ray Ban's this year to have a pair that wasn't so "sporty" looking. They were $190 at Macy's and Sunglass Hut. I found them for $90 on Amazon.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5021 on: October 30, 2014, 12:44:05 PM »
"War is peace, freedom is slavery, ignorance is strength, small bonus is big bonus".

This is hilarious, and apparently fitting. I love it. Thanks, guys.

I used to buy $1 sunglasses from the dollar store.

Then I got a $450 MSRP pair of Burberry sunglasses. Paid like $200 with coupons, sale, and taxes. WOW. They were super light on my face. Super super comfortable. The quality of the lens and the tint on it were definitely far superior to the dollar shades I usually wore. I took care of these glasses much more than any of my previous pairs and I truly loved them.  Unfortunately I lost them during a vacation.   :(

I was then gifted a pair of Ray Ban polarized glasses and they are pretty damn good too. The lens quality and tint is amazing. The comfort and fitment aren't as good as the Burberry but Ray Ban aviators will probably always be a classic look.

That all being said, I do think it's worth buying and owning a nicer, higher quality pair of sunglasses but I see absolutely no point in owning more than a couple pairs at one time.

I completely agree about owning a nice pair. When I was in the army I got a pair of Oakley's issued to me during my deployment. I wore those for the next 7-8 years. I finally bought myself a new pair of Oakley's last year. They were $300 sunglasses and I found them for $200. This same co-worker has a similar pair that he said he paid $350 for. I'm all for nice things that will last, but just shop around! No point in paying full price. I also bought some Ray Ban's this year to have a pair that wasn't so "sporty" looking. They were $190 at Macy's and Sunglass Hut. I found them for $90 on Amazon.

Yep. Like with a lot of things, the ridiculous difference in quality isn't apparent until you actually try it. You go, "woah, amazing." And then you use it for years and years and end up paying less than it costs to replace shittier versions.

My requirements are light, polarizing, and look okay. I opted to go for the cheap route and not add tough to the list, and instead got a $4 case. My pair paid for themselves as far as I'm concerned over a 10k mile trip, and I figure they'll last for several years before someone sits on them.

I'm a big believer in buy-it-for-life.

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5022 on: October 30, 2014, 12:56:02 PM »
$400 sunglasses sound like a "buy it for life" kind of thing.

Man, I don't know how you guys consider sun glasses a BIFL item.  The average life span of my sunglasses is about 6 months before I lose or break them.

Because I get the 3rd for free ;-)

At <$10/pair I'd have to buy at least 30 before I hit the price of one pair of expensive sunglasses.  Even if they only last me 6 months I doubt the $300 pair would last me 15 years and be worth it.  Plus at that point you have to factor in opportunity cost on the $300 up-front cost compared small increments over the 15 years.  Heck, if I invested the $300 I could buy a new pair of $12 sunglasses every year forever ;-)

I'm all for spending more on nice stuff that lasts, that was a big part of Jacobs lifestyle and one of the more attractive aspects, but sunglasses?  Maybe I'm more of a klutz than average...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5023 on: October 30, 2014, 01:00:01 PM »
Yep. Like with a lot of things, the ridiculous difference in quality isn't apparent until you actually try it. You go, "woah, amazing." And then you use it for years and years and end up paying less than it costs to replace shittier versions.

I can't see how that's true.

Dollar store sunglasses last me about a year (maybe six months if I lose them or they break early, but typically closer to a year).  So if yours last forever, you will come out ahead in approximately.. 200-400 years.

But I clearly don't care that much about sunglasses - my last pair was held together by a paperclip (after one of the screws fell out) for about six months before I stopped being lazy and bought a new $1 pair.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

seanc0x0

• Bristles
« Reply #5024 on: October 30, 2014, 01:02:55 PM »
In general I definitely agree with the "spend a little more for quality so you can keep it for longer" but I bought a pair of $15 sunglasses 7 years ago and the only reason I stopped using them is because I needed prescription ones. Granted, I haven't tried high quality so maybe if I did I'd see the value of it

I used to buy in the $100 range. Similar to the designer brands, but without the brand premium. Same light, durable, comfortable construction. Usually last 4-5 yrs. Last pair broke on a trip, and I had to downgrade a bit, went with drugstore cheapies. Found some that are almost as comfortable, only a bit heavier, and not quite as durable (expect will last 3-4 years based on wear).  They were $20. 

I do suspect that mileage varies a lot more in this price range than if you go more upscale, though.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5025 on: October 30, 2014, 01:06:19 PM »
I like the buy it for life attitude and have no problems buying something of quality that will last for a life time, but I have a hard time believing $200-400 sunglasses will function any better than my $10 pair.  Especially once they get stepped on or forgotten somewhere.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5026 on: October 30, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
Replacing sunglasses is cheap, but replacing eyes can get expensive. ;)

That said I wear $5 ones from Ross. But my bf has pointed out to me, after we've taken a 6 hr drive and I got a splitting headache, that the polarization and better tinting/coating on expensive glasses (I believe his were in the 200-300 range but he got them for $100ish after discounts or gifts?) in general tends to offer significantly better protection from the glare. So the expensive glasses could be an investment from a health & sanity point of view. Driving, hiking, skiing, boating or any other activity in a bright environment is probably much more enjoyable for oneself and one's companions without the headache (and eventual eye damage).

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5027 on: October 30, 2014, 01:15:34 PM »

Dollar store sunglasses last me about a year (maybe six months if I lose them or they break early, but typically closer to a year).  So if yours last forever, you will come out ahead in approximately.. 200-400 years.

But I clearly don't care that much about sunglasses - my last pair was held together by a paperclip (after one of the screws fell out) for about six months before I stopped being lazy and bought a new $1 pair.  :)

I dont care how much my sunglasses cost as long as they come in a orange box, that people call black...

NumberCruncher

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5028 on: October 30, 2014, 01:19:40 PM »
I just gotta say this - at $400 for a pair of sunglasses, you are paying for the label  (and maybe design/fashion) more than the quality.

Sure there's a quality difference between $1-$20 drugstore sunglasses and $400 designer sunglasses, but I'd be willing to wager that $100 online at Zenni or something would give you the same quality (probably including a prescription as well).

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5029 on: October 30, 2014, 01:24:27 PM »
I dont care how much my sunglasses cost as long as they come in a orange box, that people call black...

I'm drowning in foam

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5030 on: October 30, 2014, 01:24:41 PM »

I just gotta say this - at $400 for a pair of sunglasses, you are paying for the label  (and maybe design/fashion) more than the quality.

Sure there's a quality difference between $1-$20 drugstore sunglasses and $400 designer sunglasses, but I'd be willing to wager that $100 online at Zenni or something would give you the same quality (probably including a prescription as well).

Right on, guys. Personally, I have needed them maybe twice in the last ten years and I do spend a significant amount of time outside. Never seen the point in it.

My wife did insist on fancy sunglasses however, due to headaches or some such. At the suggestion of somebody on this forum we had a pair delivered from zenni optical, $20 total, 100% satisfied, she can't even tell the difference between those and the $200+ stuff.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5031 on: October 30, 2014, 01:39:48 PM »

you bastard...

lol

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5032 on: October 30, 2014, 01:40:52 PM »
Are black people really orange? ....

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5033 on: October 30, 2014, 01:41:36 PM »
I just bought sunglasses with orange tinted lens and now every box I look is ORANGE!

So, how do I know if it's a real black box or not?

Help me, I'm doomed!!!!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5034 on: October 30, 2014, 01:43:40 PM »
I prioritize protection from the sun when choosing my sunglasses. The $1 ones aren't going to cut it, but I don't need to spend $100+ either. I ended up with some Eagle Eyes for around $50.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5035 on: October 30, 2014, 01:43:55 PM »
I just bought sunglasses with orange tinted lens and now every box I look is ORANGE!

Help me, I'm doomed!!!!

Look for the Red one!

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5036 on: October 30, 2014, 01:45:30 PM »
Are black people really orange? ....

I can't tell you, right now, everyone I look at is orange (because of my new sunglasses) I barely can make the difference between people and boxes actually. Sorry !

fantabulous

• Bristles
    • My Crappy Little Blog
« Reply #5037 on: October 30, 2014, 01:46:06 PM »
So he spent $1,350 on iPhones within a month! Now he's complaining he doesn't have money for winter tires to put on his brand new (earlier this year) Mazda Miata.

I don't know if I could have avoided saying something along the lines of "There's an app for budgeting so that you don't spend $1400 on phones and don't have the money for winter tires."

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5038 on: October 30, 2014, 01:51:04 PM »
So he spent $1,350 on iPhones within a month! Now he's complaining he doesn't have money for winter tires to put on his brand new (earlier this year) Mazda Miata.

I don't know if I could have avoided saying something along the lines of "There's an app for budgeting so that you don't spend $1400 on phones and don't have the money for winter tires."

Is this app could be handled by an obsolete IPhone 5 ?

Le Barbu

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5039 on: October 30, 2014, 01:55:35 PM »

Help me, I'm doomed!!!!

Look for the Red one!

Thank for the tip, unfortunatly, it was my lunch box I was looking at. If you open it, you could track what I ate for lunch but no flight data or recording of any kind

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5040 on: October 30, 2014, 02:00:22 PM »

Help me, I'm doomed!!!!

Look for the Red one!

Thank for the tip, unfortunatly, it was my lunch box I was looking at. If you open it, you could track what I ate for lunch but no flight data or recording of any kind

MMMM Lunch... Maybe dont report that one to the FBI?

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5041 on: October 30, 2014, 02:59:37 PM »
If you paid $200 for a pair of sunglasses, most likely you would take better care of them. I have one pair of sunglasses that I paid about that much for in 2004. So $20/year and decreasing each year.

I used to believe this was true.  I spent over $100 on fancy sunglasses back in 2000 or so.  I lost them two months later, so bought another expensive pair, which lasted almost six months before getting crushed.

I had a pair of $6.99 sunglasses last for three years.  Using the above method, less than $2.40 per year!  Am I genius?

franklin w. dixon

• Bristles
« Reply #5042 on: October 30, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
At this point, people say to themselves -- work overtime for only $25 per hour in my pocket, instead of $30 per hour during normal hours?

Oh my gosh I have heard this so often about overtime.

I've heard exactly the same thing, it boggles my mind.. If the withholding is to high, you still get it back after taxes are calculated!  Just because you don't have it now doesn't mean it doesn't exist! 

I guess that's just the other side to the huge spending holiday when everyone gets their tax returns...
What really irritates me is that I hear it so often in relation to people on benefits where their benefits get gradually withdrawn the more they earn.  It can mean that there is a high marginal rate of tax on their earnings over a certain level, but they still end up with more money that they are providing for themselves and on the first step to getting off benefits.  But no, it's "not worth it".
Principally due to the phaseout of EITC and certain state tax incentives at low income levels there are times when an additional dollar of income is taxed at an effective rate of over 100%, particularly when other non-income benefits like food stamps, utilities assistance etc. are taken into account. The big picture (whether the effective rate of taxation is 80% of 95% or 110%) is that there's a big doldrums where for income levels between roughly $18,000 and $32000 annually, increasing income doesn't translate into increased buying power. So no, for many people it's not worth it to kill yourself putting in overtime hours at your job at Big Lots in order to received no material recompense. An easy solution would be to use a guaranteed minimum income system instead of EITC but fat chance of that ever happening here in neoliberal utopia.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5043 on: October 30, 2014, 03:17:15 PM »

You will also note that I have a $50 pair, not a $400 pair. But of course, if you consider the time to go pick decently-fitting, comfortable, and otherwise acceptable sunglasses, and determine the time cost of doing so, $50 pays for itself... fairly quickly. A few years than you quoted!

Maybe if I lose / break these I will change my tune. I'll be sure to let you know, verbosely. :)

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
« Reply #5044 on: October 30, 2014, 03:20:59 PM »
If you paid $200 for a pair of sunglasses, most likely you would take better care of them. I have one pair of sunglasses that I paid about that much for in 2004. So $20/year and decreasing each year.

I used to believe this was true.  I spent over $100 on fancy sunglasses back in 2000 or so.  I lost them two months later, so bought another expensive pair, which lasted almost six months before getting crushed.

I had a pair of $6.99 sunglasses last for three years.  Using the above method, less than $2.40 per year!  Am I genius?

yes.

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #5045 on: October 30, 2014, 03:26:26 PM »

I was the same way. I would buy decent glasses and lose them or break them. Then one of my friends who works on oil rigs introduced me to how amazing safety sunglasses are: http://smile.amazon.com/3M-Virtua-Protective-Eyewear-11327-00000-20/dp/B007JZD754/

$26 for 20 ($1.30 each) and they are nearly indestructible. You can sit on them, keep them in your pocket with keys, or drop them and they won't break. And, even if you lose them they only cost $1.30.

rocksinmyhead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5046 on: October 30, 2014, 03:44:06 PM »

agreed. there's no way $400 sunglasses can ever be justified as BIFL. that said, I've been wearing cheap or free sunglasses for years and FINALLY bought a $95 Warby Parker pair this summer because I really wanted some polarized glasses for sailing. they are definitely noticeably higher quality and I haven't lost or broken them yet, so that's good (biggest difference being that I actually keep them in a case...)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5047 on: October 30, 2014, 04:07:45 PM »
I was the same way. I would buy decent glasses and lose them or break them. Then one of my friends who works on oil rigs introduced me to how amazing safety sunglasses are: http://smile.amazon.com/3M-Virtua-Protective-Eyewear-11327-00000-20/dp/B007JZD754/

$26 for 20 ($1.30 each) and they are nearly indestructible. You can sit on them, keep them in your pocket with keys, or drop them and they won't break. And, even if you lose them they only cost $1.30.

Dude, awesome. Question. Do they have a version of these that is polarized? And how does it feel to wear them for extended periods of time (5, 10, 15 hours)?

nawhite

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Reckless Choice
« Reply #5048 on: October 30, 2014, 04:23:58 PM »

Dude, awesome. Question. Do they have a version of these that is polarized? And how does it feel to wear them for extended periods of time (5, 10, 15 hours)?

I haven't found polarized ones but they are absolutely comfortable to me (I'll wear them under a kayaking helmet for 8+ hours without issue).

mydogismyheart

• Stubble
« Reply #5049 on: October 30, 2014, 04:27:39 PM »
Ok, I heard a good one at work yesterday.  All sales positions at my work have been hired as independent contractors for the last few years, and therefore, didn't qualify to participate in the company 401K.  Officially as of October 1 we were hired on as full time employees and qualify for all benefits including 401K and a 3% 401K match.  During one of the meetings about it back in September, it was highly recommended that while participation in the 401K is optional, employees should at least contribute the 3% in order to get the match.

So yesterday, we're in a class at the main office, and I hear a guy complaining about the $69 that he was forced to have come out of his paycheck for retirement.  He didn't like that this was being taken out and he was going to put a stop to it immediately. 

I just don't really get it... why wouldn't you want to have that $69 taken out?  Every $69 he has taken out is another $69 matched by the company. $69X 26 paychecks = $1794 in FREE money!!!