Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 8450369 times)

grandep

• Stubble
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #20150 on: May 03, 2018, 09:33:46 AM »
"No one is really ever debt free. People always have credit card payments, a car payment, and a mortgage/rent payment. It's ridiculous that you think you can get debt free."

This makes me sad for this person.

Once I paid my car off, the response was:

"Your car is paid off and you're proud of that? What are you 70 years old?"

This actually made me laugh.

I do have a question about leasing, since I haven't really thought about it much: is it always a bad idea? Is there any situation where even a Mustachian would consider leasing, i.e. if I knew that I only needed a car for a couple of years? Or would it still be better in that case to buy a used car, use it for a few years, and then sell it back? I guess it depends on the situation.... but I'm mostly just curious.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20151 on: May 03, 2018, 09:48:56 AM »
I do have a question about leasing, since I haven't really thought about it much: is it always a bad idea? Is there any situation where even a Mustachian would consider leasing, i.e. if I knew that I only needed a car for a couple of years? Or would it still be better in that case to buy a used car, use it for a few years, and then sell it back? I guess it depends on the situation.... but I'm mostly just curious.
There are some edge cases (really good deal on an EV lease where you're using nearly all the allocated miles and no overage is mostly what I'm thinking of) where it could maybe pencil out.  But the rule of thumb is still definitely that it's a dumb idea.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20152 on: May 03, 2018, 09:51:51 AM »
If your company is paying for it and wouldn't pay for you to buy one, then sell it back.

If you're just there for a year or two, if you buy a $5k car, you'll get most of it back selling it 2 years later, that leasing wouldn't make much sense.

If there is some reason owning is difficult due to being a foreigner or something like that, but leasing is easier.  Not sure where that might exist.  Like I can never really own land in Japan, not sure if there's something similar for cars somewhere.

If having a nicer car increases your profit somehow.  The only thing I can think of here that gets close is a limo driver, but most of those still own (I think).

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20153 on: May 03, 2018, 10:44:15 AM »
Co-worker 1:  My husband and I can’t stand this cold weather anymore.  We’ve decided to take a sour-of-the-moment trip to Vegas.

Co-worker 2:  Aren’t you going on a cruise later this year, too?

Co-worker 1:  Oh, sure, but sometimes you just have to say “the hell with the bills, let’s treat ourselves”, you know?

(Two days later)

Co-worker 1:  Why do expensive things always happen right before a trip?   We got a flat tire, and it turns out that ALL our tires need replacing.   We’ll have to finance them; we don’t have the money.
Ah ha ha ha!  Just this morning, headed to work early (I thought) and "what's that loud noise?"  Turn around at the bottom of the hill, back home (about a mile total).  Tire flat as a pancake.

Change tire (husband does, anyway), stop at tire store on the way in, and the front two tires are bald as heck.  So guess what I get to do tomorrow!!

But I can afford it.

elliha

• Bristles
« Reply #20154 on: May 03, 2018, 11:27:04 AM »
My workplace is not that extreme. We are teacher so most of us are not actually wading in money so packed lunches are standard, many people go by bike, bus or train to work and some don't even own a car. However, we do have some spenders. One has been on two expensive holidays in the last month or so. Her husband is a nurse and I cannot believe that a nurse and a teacher easily affords two holidays in a month when she also buys Mercedes cars, Chanel purses, expensive jewelry, tons and tons of clothes and a lot of other expensive things. She has had health problems so she has the right to spend money apparently. The other spendy pants will buy most of his weekly shopping at a deli/luxury food store and the rest at the most expensive regular store in town. Just going to an average store, not looking for offers or so would probably be enough for him to cut his food cost in half.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20155 on: May 03, 2018, 11:35:19 AM »
[...] and the front two tires are bald as heck.

Tires drastically lose wet traction after roughly 3 mm of tread depth. Unless you aren't driving on wet roads at all you should replace your tires before they reach the legal limit wear bars (1.6 mm). Driving on bald or nearly bald tires is very dangerous.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20156 on: May 03, 2018, 11:52:34 AM »

Tires drastically lose wet traction after roughly 3 mm of tread depth. Unless you aren't driving on wet roads at all you should replace your tires before they reach the legal limit wear bars (1.6 mm). Driving on bald or nearly bald tires is very dangerous.

Going to +1 this. Your tires shouldn't be at that point. I just drove past a huge chunk of tire on the freeway (what if it hit someone, or someone hit it, or the car spun out of control, etc.) that I guarantee was the remains of a bald tire blowing out.

CptCool

• Stubble
« Reply #20157 on: May 04, 2018, 08:55:19 AM »

Going to +1 this. Your tires shouldn't be at that point. I just drove past a huge chunk of tire on the freeway (what if it hit someone, or someone hit it, or the car spun out of control, etc.) that I guarantee was the remains of a bald tire blowing out.

IDK, I see a ton of tire fragments on the road, but I think the're one of the 18 wheels from a semi truck - not sure why they seem to blow out so frequently, perhaps overloading?

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20158 on: May 04, 2018, 08:57:12 AM »
"No one is really ever debt free. People always have credit card payments, a car payment, and a mortgage/rent payment. It's ridiculous that you think you can get debt free."

Let's look at it from the other perspective: Why are car sellers so happy to give you a lease? Much preferred to cash?

@bald tires:
puts mouth to your ears
ARE YOU A COMPLETE IDIOT??
Consider MMM punches you in the face three times for being deadly stupid.
As with having winter tires, having tires that aren't too low on profile is one of the biggest impacts on car safety (just after having working brakes). Not having that is not saving money, it is playing with your life. Without life, money is useless.

Personally I opt for 4mm lowest, but of course I never get there anyway, tires always are too old before that happens.

IDK, I see a ton of tire fragments on the road, but I think the're one of the 18 wheels from a semi truck - not sure why they seem to blow out so frequently, perhaps overloading?
Can also be not enough (or too much) pressure in the tires. 

TheGrimSqueaker

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
  • www.theliveinlandlord.com
    • The Live-In Landlord
« Reply #20159 on: May 04, 2018, 09:41:05 AM »

Let's look at it from the other perspective: Why are car sellers so happy to give you a lease? Much preferred to cash?

@bald tires:
puts mouth to your ears
ARE YOU A COMPLETE IDIOT??
Consider MMM punches you in the face three times for being deadly stupid.
As with having winter tires, having tires that aren't too low on profile is one of the biggest impacts on car safety (just after having working brakes). Not having that is not saving money, it is playing with your life. Without life, money is useless.

Personally I opt for 4mm lowest, but of course I never get there anyway, tires always are too old before that happens.

Can also be not enough (or too much) pressure in the tires.

You're right about the transport trucks, but what you're seeing is generally pieces of a thrown retread.

Here's how it works. Those big 18-wheel trucks put a lot of miles on their tires, so there's wear. But the part that wears is generally the treads. So some enterprising individual had an idea: take the basically good but bald steel-belted tires, and put new rubber treads on them, and get more wear out of the tire. It's good for the environment (fewer tires in landfills), it gets more life out of the rest of the tire, and it allows truckers and trucking companies to pay less for tires. Retread tires cost less than new, and having the option of buying retreads keeps the cost of new tires from getting out of control. Win-win-win, right? But there's a down side. A retread tire won't last as long as a new one and they are more vulnerable to heat and friction. They don't wear quite the same way as a tire that is all in one piece. When a new tire wears out, either there's a puncture or the tread wears down almost uniformly.

When a retread wears out, what breaks down is the adhesive that holds the tread to the tire. Drivers are supposed to inspect their tires after every rest stop, but in practice that's like vehicle maintenance and sleep: something that generally gets skipped because of schedule. Chunks of tread are thrown off as the tire spins around (the driver is often unaware it's happening), and when the tire gets way to asymmetrical the entire tread peels off, gets whipped around and possibly driven over by the vehicle's other tires, and gets flung up and out. You do *not* want to be anywhere near the truck when it happens. It will come through your windshield at well over 100 km/h and it can weigh 5 kilos or more. It's like a brick coming through the window. People die from this especially on motorcycles. So, if you see what looks like a whole tire by the side of the road but it's missing the sidewalls, that's a thrown retread. Also, if you're near a big truck on the highway and see pieces of tire flying off or a wobbly-looking tire, GTF away and warn the driver if you can. The only safe place is in front of the vehicle, or with some other large object between you and it, or at least 100m behind it so you can see which direction the thrown retread goes so that you can drive around it. Like all debris it tends to migrate toward the right rear... which is another fabulous reason to never pass a big truck from the right.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20160 on: May 04, 2018, 09:56:16 AM »
My workplace is not that extreme. We are teacher so most of us are not actually wading in money so packed lunches are standard, many people go by bike, bus or train to work and some don't even own a car.

We had a kid in the car line ask "Why do all the teacher's cars have H's on them?"

Most of the teachers bought the hot lunch though. Which is ridiculously over priced.

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20161 on: May 04, 2018, 10:24:06 AM »

Well it's not the rainy season here, and it never rains for 8 months.  But I'm having them replaced today.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20162 on: May 04, 2018, 10:49:13 AM »
My workplace is not that extreme. We are teacher so most of us are not actually wading in money so packed lunches are standard, many people go by bike, bus or train to work and some don't even own a car.

We had a kid in the car line ask "Why do all the teacher's cars have H's on them?"

Most of the teachers bought the hot lunch though. Which is ridiculously over priced.
If it's anything like my high school was, it's also either junk food or crappy food (or both).  Sure, I'd love a burger, fries, Coke, and token soggy green beans for $10.  Blech.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20163 on: May 04, 2018, 12:35:02 PM »

If it's anything like my high school was, it's also either junk food or crappy food (or both).  Sure, I'd love a burger, fries, Coke, and token soggy green beans for $10.  Blech.

This was elementary school, so no choices and technically nutritionally balanced. But because it didn't get a subsidy if you were an adult it cost $6. (Kids were either $2.75 or $0.40, or free).  But we only had 20 minute lunch periods, and that included walking the kids to the lunch room and picking them up; so there weren't any other options if you wanted a hot lunch. Sometimes it was hard to even be able to microwave a freezer meal if one of two microwaves was taken when you got to the lunchroom. I just brought a cold sandwich and fruit. It is something I do not miss about teaching- shoveling food down my throat and getting to the bathroom in 10 minutes.

fredbear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20164 on: May 04, 2018, 10:05:14 PM »
[...Also, if you're near a big truck on the highway and see pieces of tire flying off or a wobbly-looking tire, GTF away and warn the driver if you can. The only safe place is in front of the vehicle, or with some other large object between you and it, or at least 100m behind it so you can see which direction the thrown retread goes so that you can drive around it. ...

I got to witness one catastrophic trailer-wheel failure.  Northbound on I25, truck a ways in front of me, both rolling about 80mph, when one of the trailer's rear-most, outside tires on the left blew completely.  What I had not expected was that the tire, during various services over the year or two it had lived, had taken a lot of talcum.  When it blew it ejected a whitish cloud so big it obscured the whole rig.  From the cloud, as if in slow motion, black arcuate fragments of rubber on incalculable trajectories loomed and curved.  And such was the force of the explosion that it lifted clouds of the dust that is usually impacted into the highway, making a second storm of grit.  The cloud and cloud basically occluded the truck's lane, the shoulder lane to its right, and the center lane of the highway (just left of the unit).

Well, in our family we have ophidian reflexes, and I try, as here, to keep a large space behind me as well as in front; it was easy to stay clear, and it was as well to be clear, too, since the trailer did some whipping before the driver settled it.  It is not hard to imagine how this detonation could have killed, or at least set up a pinball wizard situation. 

AnnaGrowsAMustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20165 on: May 04, 2018, 10:40:51 PM »
Overheard two co-workers talking about upgrading their cars. They've both been test driving brand new cars and are thinking of spending $21,000 or so. Both are career administrators on mediocre money, both in their 30s and both with small children. Absolutely insanely stupid. I did mention that I'd never owned a car over $5000 in my life, and that I still drive the car I bought a decade ago. They looked at me like I'd suddenly turned green. That was the end of that conversation. When I left they were justifying the whole deal to themselves by comparing warranties and finance packages.

gooki

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20166 on: May 04, 2018, 10:48:18 PM »
But we only had 20 minute lunch periods, and that included walking the kids to the lunch room and picking them up

What kind of school has a 20 minute lunch break? How many/how long are the rest of the breaks?

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20167 on: May 05, 2018, 02:59:57 AM »
But we only had 20 minute lunch periods, and that included walking the kids to the lunch room and picking them up

What kind of school has a 20 minute lunch break? How many/how long are the rest of the breaks?

The highschool I went to had a 20 minute lunch as well as 2 15-minute breaks at 10.25 and 14.35. It doesn't seem that unusual to me, but in my country there is no hot lunch. Everyone brings a sandwich from home.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20168 on: May 05, 2018, 06:15:08 AM »

This was an elementary school. We had a 20 minute lunch, and a 30 afterniin minute recess. We had a 10 minute morning bathroom break (and also did bathroom after lunch and recess).

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20169 on: May 05, 2018, 10:22:13 AM »
That seems utterly ridiculous to me. I can’t remember exactly what we had in HS here in the states but it was something like 45 min for lunch and we had a 30 (?) min “study hall” in the morning that was free time that you could either use to socialize or go to any classroom and ask for help on any subject. Sometimes I spent that time snacking and chatting and other times I spent it getting help with homework.
Needless to say, in France we had a 2-hour lunch break in high school.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20170 on: May 06, 2018, 05:52:53 AM »
Most high schools here have a 25 minute lunch, no breaks, 5-10 minutes to change classes, which technically allows some but not all students a chance to stop by the bathroom. Not the teachers though, as they’re required to monitor the hallways. Most but not all teachers get a planning period sometime during the day. Unless some teacher is out sick, in which case they’re required to cover. They also have rotating lunch duty for a couple of weeks at a time.

Hirondelle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20171 on: May 06, 2018, 06:17:53 AM »
That sounds like a brutal schedule!

We had a 55 min lunch break (most people lived in-town so went home for lunch) and a 20 min break in the morning. There was no set time for changing classes, but it was generally accepted to visit the bathroom then. In exchange for our luxurious lunch break our school started at 8 AM though.

Rural

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20172 on: May 06, 2018, 07:33:21 AM »
Oh, these schools start at 8:00, very occasionally 7:45 or so. Students are out shortly after 3:00, though, teachers not long after 4:00.

Cali

• Stubble
« Reply #20173 on: May 06, 2018, 10:28:09 AM »

Me too although it sounds like my coworker. I buy a car and keep it for 10-12 years. My coworkers are astonished by this. They wait desperately for pay day because they have zero cushion but by golly they lease cars like clockwork. And they lease things that LAST. Like a Honda Accord. What crazy person hands an Accord it at 3 years?

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20174 on: May 06, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »
Me too although it sounds like my coworker. I buy a car and keep it for 10-12 years. My coworkers are astonished by this. They wait desperately for pay day because they have zero cushion but by golly they lease cars like clockwork. And they lease things that LAST. Like a Honda Accord. What crazy person hands an Accord it at 3 years?
Holy smokes, at that point, it's barely broken in!

Linda_Norway

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20175 on: May 07, 2018, 03:55:58 AM »
At lunch I heard from several colleagues that they try repair things when they are broken, instead of buying something new. :-)
They also thought it was sensible to buy things second hand.

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #20176 on: May 07, 2018, 06:06:21 AM »
Overheard a convo last week. Guy was popping off about how he got an unlimited data plan for his family and 4 phones for $100 a month. The only thing that he complained about was having to plop down $4,000 to buy 4 iPhone X's for each one of them to get that "deal". He said he used 22gig in one month just himself.

$5,200 in one year for phones.

CptCool

• Stubble
« Reply #20177 on: May 07, 2018, 08:23:55 AM »
Overheard a convo last week. Guy was popping off about how he got an unlimited data plan for his family and 4 phones for $100 a month. The only thing that he complained about was having to plop down $4,000 to buy 4 iPhone X's for each one of them to get that "deal". He said he used 22gig in one month just himself.

$25/mo for unlimited sounds pretty good actually

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20178 on: May 07, 2018, 08:34:22 AM »

Yeah, I'd say the $4000 on iPhones is the part one would be reacting to.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20179 on: May 07, 2018, 08:35:20 AM »

Right- except that he had to pay $4,000 in phones.

I can pay for a lot of data with my $70 phone... before I hit that.

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20180 on: May 07, 2018, 09:10:54 AM »
Talking with a friend at work, complaining about student loan payments, said something along the lines of, "We make decent money, but they don't take into account we have a mortgage, we're pregnant, my husband has to pay for his stock car, they don't consider our lifestyle." 

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20181 on: May 07, 2018, 09:15:44 AM »
Most high schools here have a 25 minute lunch, no breaks, 5-10 minutes to change classes, which technically allows some but not all students a chance to stop by the bathroom. Not the teachers though, as they’re required to monitor the hallways. Most but not all teachers get a planning period sometime during the day. Unless some teacher is out sick, in which case they’re required to cover. They also have rotating lunch duty for a couple of weeks at a time.
Yeah, this is what I remember having.  There were 3x ~25 minute lunches during one of the classes, and you got one of them.  5 minutes between classes, but it generally took at least 3 minutes to get from one class to the next.  The school was organized by pods, where each pod was a topic (science, math, etc.) so you never had two classes nearby.  If I had to go, I'd usually go to my next class, let the teacher know I'd be late, then go, but I generally didn't go during the day.  I must have been extremely dehydrated.  They didn't allow drinking anything during the class.

It sounds pretty bad now that I think about it.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20182 on: May 07, 2018, 09:17:15 AM »
Talking with a friend at work, complaining about student loan payments, said something along the lines of, "We make decent money, but they don't take into account we have a mortgage, we're pregnant, my husband has to pay for his stock car, they don't consider our lifestyle."

This was an "overheard on facebook" but I recently had someone explain that healthcare subsidies needed to take into account lifestyle, because some people have less money than their gross salary would imply because of taxes, student loans, mortgages, kids etc.  "It has to be on take home pay then get rid of obligations"

« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 09:54:35 AM by iowajes »

401Killer

• Stubble
« Reply #20183 on: May 07, 2018, 09:29:47 AM »

Yeah, a better way to look at that is that for that year he's paying $433.33 a month for that service. After 2 years, he's effecively paying $266.66 a month. Are they going to keep these phones longer than 2 or 3 years? Most likely not.

p.s. 3 years = $211/mo!

ysette9

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20184 on: May 07, 2018, 09:45:03 AM »
My husband works for BigTechCo and they lavish their employees with benefits and perks. As an example or two, in addition to the nice salary, three free meals a day, the yearly massage credits, assistance with childcare expenses, and his new commuting bike they somehow paid for, the latest perk is a service that will fill up your gas tank while your car is parked at work. The company pays for the service fee so he only pays for the gas itself, which is slightly cheaper than the station by our house. So as utterly absurd as it sounds, he gets someone to fill his tank for him while he sits at his desk and works....

Roadrunner53

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20185 on: May 07, 2018, 09:55:35 AM »
Hope he keeps that job! There are not too many great jobs like that!

I had a great job and it had good perks but nothing like that! I was so spoiled at that job and when the division in my town was shut down I could never find another job half way as good. The several jobs I had after that were crappy. Glad to be retired.

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20186 on: May 07, 2018, 09:56:44 AM »

This was an "overheard on facebook" but I recently had someone explain that healthcare subsidies needed to take into account lifestyle, because some people have less money than their gross salary would imply because of taxes, student loans, mortgages, kids etc.  "It has to be on take home pay then get rid of obligations"

Hmmm...I bet if I tried hard enough, I could get my "take home pay" down to nearly zero, if you account for retirement contributions and standard tax deduction.  I should get more free stuff. 

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20187 on: May 07, 2018, 10:41:51 AM »

Hmmm...I bet if I tried hard enough, I could get my "take home pay" down to nearly zero, if you account for retirement contributions and standard tax deduction.  I should get more free stuff.

Might buy a bigger house with what was leftover. That way I'd qualify for more subsidies because I had no money left for healthcare.  I mean- gotta pay for that big house!

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20188 on: May 07, 2018, 11:44:37 AM »

Might buy a bigger house with what was leftover. That way I'd qualify for more subsidies because I had no money left for healthcare.  I mean- gotta pay for that big house!
You think car payments would count too?  If so, gotta get a nice new Corvette to put in one of my 4 garage stalls. 

Just Joe

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20189 on: May 07, 2018, 11:45:16 AM »
My husband works for BigTechCo and they lavish their employees with benefits and perks. As an example or two, in addition to the nice salary, three free meals a day, the yearly massage credits, assistance with childcare expenses, and his new commuting bike they somehow paid for, the latest perk is a service that will fill up your gas tank while your car is parked at work. The company pays for the service fee so he only pays for the gas itself, which is slightly cheaper than the station by our house. So as utterly absurd as it sounds, he gets someone to fill his tank for him while he sits at his desk and works....

I can do this - sort of. When I ride my ebike to work, if I want to - I can charge at work for free. So when its time to go home, I was given 40 miles of range for free while I worked. ;)

It costs my employer maybe a quarter for the electricity. I really ought to add a kill-a-watt meter to the charger the next time to see what it costs.

I want an EV car and have my employer refill that for for free. I've seen a coworker to recharges their car at work with a 120V cord. I don't know if our employer has noticed or not though.

chaskavitch

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20190 on: May 07, 2018, 12:18:50 PM »

I can do this - sort of. When I ride my ebike to work, if I want to - I can charge at work for free. So when its time to go home, I was given 40 miles of range for free while I worked. ;)

It costs my employer maybe a quarter for the electricity. I really ought to add a kill-a-watt meter to the charger the next time to see what it costs.

I want an EV car and have my employer refill that for for free. I've seen a coworker to recharges their car at work with a 120V cord. I don't know if our employer has noticed or not though.

One of our higher-ups apparently has a Tesla, and part of his conditions for signing on was that the company would add a charging station for him.  So - now our two main locations each have 2-3 charging ports in the parking lot.  It's cool, and also kind of crazy, that they did that.  I can't decide which.

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20191 on: May 07, 2018, 12:40:11 PM »
"My truck payment is $800 a month."

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20192 on: May 07, 2018, 01:05:04 PM »
"You get paid $800/mo to drive that stupid truck!? Awesome!"

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20193 on: May 07, 2018, 01:09:46 PM »
Surely the state needs to give truck payment assistance for that poor guy!!!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20194 on: May 07, 2018, 01:20:34 PM »

One of our higher-ups apparently has a Tesla, and part of his conditions for signing on was that the company would add a charging station for him.  So - now our two main locations each have 2-3 charging ports in the parking lot.  It's cool, and also kind of crazy, that they did that.  I can't decide which.

Do Tesla chargers only charge Tesla, or any electric cars? Our grocery store has 4 of them, and my last employer had 8. I never saw a Tesla at my old job though. I've seen 1 at the store.

Dr.Optimus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20195 on: May 07, 2018, 01:37:21 PM »

Indeed.  Also said insurance for said truck was $200/mo.  Can you imagine?  That's $12,000 per year just to OWN the vehicle - that doesn't include the cost of depreciation, or to license, drive, and maintain it.  Pretty sure adding all of that up is approaching my yearly take home pay, or more.

RWD

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20196 on: May 07, 2018, 01:47:28 PM »

Indeed.  Also said insurance for said truck was $200/mo.  Can you imagine?  That's $12,000 per year just to OWN the vehicle - that doesn't include the cost of depreciation, or to license, drive, and maintain it.  Pretty sure adding all of that up is approaching my yearly take home pay, or more.

Depreciation is not in addition to car payments.

Example:
Buy a truck for $50k, put 11% down
Finance $44.5k at 3% interest for 60 months (payment of $800/month)
After five years let's say the truck is worth $25k ($25k in depreciation)
Total of five years of payments is $48k
You have a truck worth $25k that you've spent $53.5k on. Net cost is $28.5k.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 02:21:31 PM by RWD »

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20197 on: May 07, 2018, 01:48:32 PM »

I know someone (related to me...) that financed a brand new $26k car in 2013.  She made less than that per year in 2013, and by 2015 was making $0/yr and remains at that salary to this day.  Others have been making the payments for the most part. (including someone that thought he was paying it off for her, but she just pocketed the money!  Whoops)  It'll be paid off this fall.  Life is grand.

Step37

• Bristles
« Reply #20198 on: May 07, 2018, 08:21:14 PM »
Coworker came back from Wendy’s today with three bags, and complaining about the fact he had to argue with the guy at the drive thru to get it packed that way. You see, he needed the salads and baked potatoes for tonight’s dinner packed separately from each other, and from his lunch... it’s okay, I’d understand about paying $10 for $0.50 worth of potatoes if I had kids. I sort of(barely) get the salads (can be a pain in the ass to make for sure), but BAKED POTATOES?! really?!

BDWW

• Bristles
« Reply #20199 on: May 07, 2018, 11:23:20 PM »

Do Tesla chargers only charge Tesla, or any electric cars? Our grocery store has 4 of them, and my last employer had 8. I never saw a Tesla at my old job though. I've seen 1 at the store.

Only Teslas at the moment. Tesla has opened their patents and I think offered to license the charging to other companies, but none have excepted as far as I know.