Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252490 times)

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #1000 on: November 07, 2013, 11:34:18 AM »
My company is going through a lot of layoffs and cost cutting lately, and one of the newest initiatives is to stop providing coffee, tea, and paper products in the kitchens. They are still going to keep and service the coffee machines if people want to bring their own in.

My boss, two team members, and I were talking about it and they were flabbergasted. "How dare they! Productivity will be so down because people will have to keep walking to the cafeteria to buy coffee! Do they really expect me to bring in my own coffee!?!"

And there are also rumors of the subsidized cafeteria being shut down, which brought more exclamations of all the lost productivity because "Everyone will have to waste time going out to lunch every day! You'd have to stock your desk with a whole kitchen's worth of supplies to bring your lunch! Who has time to make their lunch before work every day!?!"

Probably the right time to polish your resume and look for other opportunities.  Not because of the coffee of course.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #1001 on: November 07, 2013, 12:34:42 PM »
(Real conversation with co-worker, I kid not!)

Me:  "I'm trying to think of new, cool things to send my sponsored child in El Salvador, what do you send, S?  I need ideas that fit in an envelope."

S:  "I don't do it anymore.  It was too expensive.  After M and I separated I had to buy a new car, all new furniture, dining set, and the condo. Bed, Bath, and Beyond ain't exactly cheap, you know!"

Me:  :O

To make it even weirder, the nearest BB&B is a three-hour drive away! 

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #1002 on: November 07, 2013, 05:39:27 PM »
(Real conversation with co-worker, I kid not!)

Me:  "I'm trying to think of new, cool things to send my sponsored child in El Salvador, what do you send, S?  I need ideas that fit in an envelope."

S:  "I don't do it anymore.  It was too expensive.  After M and I separated I had to buy a new car, all new furniture, dining set, and the condo. Bed, Bath, and Beyond ain't exactly cheap, you know!"

Me:  :O

To make it even weirder, the nearest BB&B is a three-hour drive away!

That is so incredibly sad.

Rbuckyfuller

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1003 on: November 07, 2013, 09:00:42 PM »
Our employer did a 8% of gross pay required contribution to the 401k and then you could elect another $17,500 and so could put away double what a normal person could tax-free.

How is that legal? Could you tell me more? I wonder if I could ever persuade my employer to do something similar.

If it is an employer contribution, that is not included in the $17,500 maximum.  If I'm reading this as the employer was required to contribute 8% and not the employee, the employer basically "matches" even if the employee does not contribute (not a match on contribution, but on income).  Perfectly legal.

Oh. I read it a different way and that the poster's coworker was complaining that 8% would be taken from their pay check. If that is the case, then the employee is contributing the money...maybe since it's forced, the law looks at it differently.

Well you are both right in a way, because it all depends on the label you put on things.   What they did was this -- They TOLD you that they were going to pay you X,  but your real pay on the books was X - 8% and in your checks, which was the "employer contribution".  Then you could magically contribute another 17,500 on top of that because of how they structured it in the books.  But some employees felt like their pay got reduced because when the job was advertised, they advertised X, not X - 8%.   They had to advertise "X" because otherwise they wouldn't pay "market" for NYC lawyers.

Make sense?

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1004 on: November 08, 2013, 01:06:04 AM »
At a work-related social event recently, meet a guy in my field at a different company and start trading grad school stories.  Then:

Him:  So, how bad are your loansies?
Me: Uh...actually, great.  I don't have any.
Him: WHAT?  How'd you manage that???

I don't really know a lot about the program this guy went through, but I am definitely not in a field where taking out loans for grad school is the standard course of action.  Kind of wanted to ask how he DID have loans, but decided that would be too awkward...

some1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1005 on: November 08, 2013, 07:40:32 AM »
One of the cleaning ladies at our research institute was talking to her colleague in the common room, saying she just can't understand all those scientist drinking the tap water in our common room. She didn't have a "fancy PhD", she said, but at least she could afford to buy her own drinking water! Well, I thought, if you have to work hard for a petty cleaning woman's salary, bragging about spending your money on water (!) is maybe not the way to show you are smarter than those "fancy PhD" scientist ...
I have 3 housemates, and every single one of them buys bottled water. We have two entire fridges filled with bottled water. Like, what!

Admittedly, it all depends on the quality of the tap water. I wouldn't want to drink it if it's not clean or tastes of chlorine, but where I live it's all right. Actually, I remember reading about a survey in Germany not too long ago that showed most bottled waters are inferior to tap water in terms of mineral composition and microbial contamination (they are probably still fine, but definitely not better than tap water).

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1006 on: November 08, 2013, 07:59:49 AM »
At a work-related social event recently, meet a guy in my field at a different company and start trading grad school stories.  Then:

I don't really know a lot about the program this guy went through, but I am definitely not in a field where taking out loans for grad school is the standard course of action.  Kind of wanted to ask how he DID have loans, but decided that would be too awkward...

Probably because he's the kind of guy who has a graduate degree but still calls them "Loansies".

okashira

• Bristles
« Reply #1007 on: November 08, 2013, 10:19:57 AM »
My first time to share here. Just last night at work.

Girl at work talking to a guy: It pains me that I have $275 that I cannot spend!
Guy: Why?
Girl: Because my NEW credit card hasn't gotten here yet!

erm... that's not your money yet. That's your credit limit.

Then she proceeds to tell him how her other 3 can't be used 'cause they're maxed out.

damn.

aclarridge

« Reply #1008 on: November 08, 2013, 03:04:42 PM »
Of course her husband is the same guy who said it would be stupid to pay off your debt if you won the lottery because you'll never need to borrow money again so who cares if it hurts your credit....*facepalm*

Didn't you know? If you win the lottery, silly poor-person concepts like "morals" don't apply to you. ;)

That guy is a moron though; aside from the morality issue, wouldn't creditors still repo a bunch of your stuff if you didn't pay your debts? I thought that's how it worked although I'm not sure about the legal details when it comes to consumer debt like credit cards.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #1009 on: November 08, 2013, 03:26:32 PM »
Ugh... just got the mail and there was an invitation for our company holiday party. They told us at the last meeting that due to the  growth phase we're going through right now, that year end bonuses might not be possible for the first time in years since they're using all of our "substantial" profits to grow the business... but they're wasting dog knows how much money for a black tie open bar/cocktails/3-course meal at a fancy club with dancing.

Guess I know where my bonus is going!

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1010 on: November 08, 2013, 04:51:27 PM »
Ugh... just got the mail and there was an invitation for our company holiday party. They told us at the last meeting that due to the  growth phase we're going through right now, that year end bonuses might not be possible for the first time in years since they're using all of our "substantial" profits to grow the business... but they're wasting dog knows how much money for a black tie open bar/cocktails/3-course meal at a fancy club with dancing.

Are you an owner of the company?  If not, the funding of growth is their problem, not yours.  I'd be hollering loudly and often to that effect to anyone who would listen.

sherr

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1011 on: November 08, 2013, 06:55:45 PM »

Are you an owner of the company?  If not, the funding of growth is their problem, not yours.  I'd be hollering loudly and often to that effect to anyone who would listen.

On the other hand, a bonus is a bonus, not a requirement. You can't really complain about not getting one. It's nice when you do, sucks when you don't, but you're not entitled to it. They can use that money to grow the business or throw a fancy holiday party if they want to.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1012 on: November 08, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »

Probably because he's the kind of guy who has a graduate degree but still calls them "Loansies".

Now that you mention it...probably!

Vitai Slade

• Stubble
« Reply #1013 on: November 09, 2013, 04:53:51 AM »
Last night I was in a conversation with a group of co-workers and one of them mentioned that she spent $12/day-5 days/week on Starbucks coffee. I was like... WTFFFF!?! She said that she recently got an expresso maker at home so she now only goes like.. two times a week instead or when she doesn't have enough time in the morning to make it.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1014 on: November 09, 2013, 07:47:12 AM »
Last night I was in a conversation with a group of co-workers and one of them mentioned that she spent $12/day-5 days/week on Starbucks coffee. I was like... WTFFFF!?! She said that she recently got an expresso maker at home so she now only goes like.. two times a week instead or when she doesn't have enough time in the morning to make it.

My roommates boss spends about $300 a month on coffee from Starbucks/Caribou.

Mind blowing.

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1015 on: November 09, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »
A coworker of mine recently sold his paid off house and bought a bigger one with a mortgage.  Then he went into more debt to furnish it.  He is over 60 with a heart condition.  When I suggested Craigslist for some items or postponing purchases instead of buying on credit he said it was not possible.  Sigh.

Richard3

• Bristles
« Reply #1016 on: November 09, 2013, 12:18:58 PM »

On the other hand, a bonus is a bonus, not a requirement. You can't really complain about not getting one. It's nice when you do, sucks when you don't, but you're not entitled to it. They can use that money to grow the business or throw a fancy holiday party if they want to.

In many industries, the annual bonus is presented to you as an expected part of your compensation package. When recruiters offer me jobs they always phrase it as $X plus y% bonus. More honest ones will phrase it as "Up to y%" but the implication is always there that this is your money if you join the company and work for a year. I'd be pissed too if my employer told me no bonus this year.

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1017 on: November 09, 2013, 12:35:06 PM »
Me too, there is always a bonus in our company. Albeit it is quite variable - so far the lowest I've got is 36% of monthly salary and the highest 129%.

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1018 on: November 09, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »

And employees are free to split and go to a real employer.

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1019 on: November 09, 2013, 03:50:08 PM »
At the opticians:

Me (paying the bill) : I might need two attempts at my PIN number, I don't use my credit card very often.

Lady next to me: I wish I could say that, I use my credit card all the time.

Me : *facepalm*

Donovan

• Stubble
« Reply #1020 on: November 10, 2013, 11:35:14 AM »
At the opticians:

Me (paying the bill) : I might need two attempts at my PIN number, I don't use my credit card very often.

That's not really inherently bad.  I buy everything with my credit card just to take advantage of the 2-5% cash back.  Then again, it's my only card, I've had it for years, and I've never paid any interest. Now if they are keeping a balance on the credit card, that is a different story :p

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1021 on: November 10, 2013, 11:39:17 AM »
I noticed the reply was "I wish I could say that..." Someone gaming credit card rewards or signup bonuses wouldn't have phrased it that way.

Moomingirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1022 on: November 10, 2013, 11:04:11 PM »
I noticed the reply was "I wish I could say that..." Someone gaming credit card rewards or signup bonuses wouldn't have phrased it that way.

Yes, that was my thought on it. If she was 'wishing' she didn't use it all the time, then she's not just using it and paying it off at the end of the month.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1023 on: November 11, 2013, 11:37:40 AM »
One of the cleaning ladies at our research institute was talking to her colleague in the common room, saying she just can't understand all those scientist drinking the tap water in our common room. She didn't have a "fancy PhD", she said, but at least she could afford to buy her own drinking water! Well, I thought, if you have to work hard for a petty cleaning woman's salary, bragging about spending your money on water (!) is maybe not the way to show you are smarter than those "fancy PhD" scientist ...
I have 3 housemates, and every single one of them buys bottled water. We have two entire fridges filled with bottled water. Like, what!

Admittedly, it all depends on the quality of the tap water. I wouldn't want to drink it if it's not clean or tastes of chlorine, but where I live it's all right. Actually, I remember reading about a survey in Germany not too long ago that showed most bottled waters are inferior to tap water in terms of mineral composition and microbial contamination (they are probably still fine, but definitely not better than tap water).

It would make much more sense to get a Pur or other brand pitcher w/its own filter inside that the roommates could use!  Also, FYI if it's just a chlorine taste that is the issue, you can simply put the water in the refrigerator overnight, and it will taste normal in the morning.

Or a faucet-mounted system :) Don't have to remember to fill it up and doesn't take up fridge space. Win!

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #1024 on: November 11, 2013, 12:55:09 PM »

Not as awkward as laughing at an adult for using the word "loansies".

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #1025 on: November 11, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »
Me too, there is always a bonus in our company. Albeit it is quite variable - so far the lowest I've got is 36% of monthly salary and the highest 129%.

The fortune 200-ish company I work for has a published formula for bonus calculation, and a big bonus party every year on April 1. It's bizarre.

But my bonus has typically run 10 - 20% of annual base pay, so it's substantial. We're a retailer and sales haven't been as desired this year, and company performance is one input into the formula, so I'm hoping to squeak by at 8 - 10% this year.

If they were to say no bonus at all this year but have a big party I'd be pissed too.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1026 on: November 11, 2013, 02:10:21 PM »
If they were to say no bonus at all this year but have a big party I'd be pissed too.

Heh, I worked for a company (30,000 employees worldwide) and we were in bankruptcy.  We had a big company celebration when we emerged from bankruptcy.  This included food and about 2 hrs time for everyone.  I thought it was fairly humorous.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1027 on: November 11, 2013, 10:14:09 PM »

This time last year our President started talking about raises.  We are a startup, and there haven't been any (sometimes a pay raise with a "promotion").  3 months passed, 6 months passed, people grumbled, and he kind of swept it under the rug "I never said that!"  One month later, we hire a new CEO.  No, we didn't get rid of the prior CEO, he became the CTO.  So now we have THREE people running the company instead of two.  How much you want to bet that the top two didn't split their pay 3 ways?  I guess we know where our raise went.

So, my VP this week mentioned that "we are very soon going to discuss raises and leveling people out" (because people hired in the last 2 years were hired at market rate, much higher than prior employees).  I scoffed (hmm...I'm really starting to wonder if I'm management material...maybe not), "I'll believe it when I see it in my paycheck!"

mpbaker22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1028 on: November 12, 2013, 09:56:50 AM »
Once again, not at work at not overheard, but ridiculous nonetheless.  I was meeting a group of friends to go on a hike.  A guy I hadn't met yet pulled up in a polished, new-looking, toyota truck.  I think it was a tundra, but I'm not actually sure.  At some point I asked him what he did, thinking he must be an actual worker.  Nope, he's a personal financial advisor.  I later found out he commutes at least 25 miles to work each way.  Ironically, he also complained about the price of gas.

And this guy gives out financial advice for a living.

huadpe

• Stubble
« Reply #1029 on: November 12, 2013, 10:01:57 AM »
Of course her husband is the same guy who said it would be stupid to pay off your debt if you won the lottery because you'll never need to borrow money again so who cares if it hurts your credit....*facepalm*

Didn't you know? If you win the lottery, silly poor-person concepts like "morals" don't apply to you. ;)

That guy is a moron though; aside from the morality issue, wouldn't creditors still repo a bunch of your stuff if you didn't pay your debts? I thought that's how it worked although I'm not sure about the legal details when it comes to consumer debt like credit cards.
I think his idea is that he can buy a new house, car, and other toys with the winnings and who cares if the bank repos the old stuff

By the by, what the bank will actually do is sue you, win, and seize the money from your bank accounts.

notquitefrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #1030 on: November 12, 2013, 09:22:30 PM »
I guess we know where our raise went.

Sounds like bullshit. If you believe your current pay grade is unfair, it may be time to start circulating your resume.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1031 on: November 12, 2013, 11:37:59 PM »
At the opticians:

That's not really inherently bad.  I buy everything with my credit card just to take advantage of the 2-5% cash back.  Then again, it's my only card, I've had it for years, and I've never paid any interest. Now if they are keeping a balance on the credit card, that is a different story :p

I've memorized my card numbers on a few occasions (pissed me off when they changed the number on me once!)

Strawberrykiwi75

• Stubble
« Reply #1032 on: November 13, 2013, 03:54:13 AM »
I work at a bank as an advisor, and from time to time I get asked to look at personal loans with people. I sat down with this guy the other day, thinking he wanted to discuss refinancing a loan he had gotten elsewhere onto a lower rate, which is something I do quite often.

While it turned out the brief was wrong, he wanted to apply for a brand new loan. I discussed the options with him, turned out he wanted it for a holiday away (at unsecured lending of 18.2% plus a $250 signing fee). I asked him how long he had been planning the holiday for - and he told me a year!! I turned him down flat. I couldn't believe someone had been making plans for a trip for that long and not put any money aside for it!!

Unfortunately, this is quite common. Working in the bank has really made me realise how bad people are with money. I mean, I eat out for dinner pretty much every night, but I still save 60% of my income. I just can't comprehend what people do with their money?!its insane!

ghatko

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1033 on: November 14, 2013, 02:57:26 PM »

I've never understood the idea that she doesn't have enough time to make a coffee, but does have enough time to go and buy one. For me, it takes about 5 minutes (including steeping time when I'm doing something else) to make myself a tea in the morning, but if I had to buy one it would take a lot longer. You have to get to the coffee shop (if it's not directly on your way), wait in line (and there usually is one at that time of day), order, pay and then wait for your drink. How is that faster than just making it yourself?

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1034 on: November 14, 2013, 03:05:47 PM »
Is she going alone? If not it could be a "social ritual" and extra time taken might be part of it.

I'm also guilty of drinking a tea with colleagues  in the canteen once a day (1 chf/day) instead of buying my own and using the hot water from the breakout room. The reason of course is that I get to chat with different co-workers and relax for 15 min.

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1035 on: November 14, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »

I've never understood the idea that she doesn't have enough time to make a coffee, but does have enough time to go and buy one. For me, it takes about 5 minutes (including steeping time when I'm doing something else) to make myself a tea in the morning, but if I had to buy one it would take a lot longer. You have to get to the coffee shop (if it's not directly on your way), wait in line (and there usually is one at that time of day), order, pay and then wait for your drink. How is that faster than just making it yourself?

Possible reasons: I'm pretty sure espresso takes longer than tea (hands-on time and total time). She may commute by train or bus; if 2 minutes sets you back 30+ due to schedules, it's very possible to not have even 2 minutes for a task. Maybe she commutes by car, but has a time-sensitive errand in the morning, but then time to stop for coffee (e.g. dropping kids off at school). And for all we know there is a Starbucks in the lobby of her office building (maybe it isn't even that busy).

Or, maybe it's an excuse--I used to get breakfast out sometimes in order to catch the earlier bus. Then I realized it took me as long to get the food and eat it as it did to make it at home and eat it, and that I rarely actually managed to do get anything done while eating. So, now I only do it to entice myself to leave the house truly early (for me: get in at 7 vs 9). Or if I have run out of food. :(

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1036 on: November 14, 2013, 08:08:56 PM »

Sounds like bullshit. If you believe your current pay grade is unfair, it may be time to start circulating your resume.
And I have been.  I mean, I've hired 3 engineers in the last couple of years who are at my level but without the years of experience in our particular industry.  The going rate?  Apparently $12k to $40k more than I am getting paid.

Yes, I'm looking.  But I'm also picky.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1037 on: November 14, 2013, 08:39:09 PM »
Now if they are keeping a balance on the credit card, that is a different story :p

Unless, of course, you get one of those cards that give you 0% interest out to (current card) the end of 2014.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1038 on: November 14, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »
"It's impossible to only have one car if you have children".

I pointed out that my brother has two small children and only one car.

"Public transport is just not an option for my suburb. It takes too long to get into the city. I have to drive everywhere".

Chose not to point out that hey, YOU CHOSE WHICH SUBURB TO LIVE IN, but I did diplomatically note that I'm planning future housing choices around good public tranport, bike paths etc.

Sigh.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1039 on: November 14, 2013, 09:07:53 PM »

"Public transport is just not an option for my suburb. It takes too long to get into the city. I have to drive everywhere".

Chose not to point out that hey, YOU CHOSE WHICH SUBURB TO LIVE IN, but I did diplomatically note that I'm planning future housing choices around good public tranport, bike paths etc.

Sigh.

While I won't disagree with the concept.  There is no way I'd move into some cities right now.  And really, uprooting families to a new city is not a very easy decision to make.  Yes, it can and has been done but it can be rather emotional.  Not to mention the whole finding new employment thing.

For instance, the city of Philadelphia - if I worked in the city, there is no way I would move closer to work (i.e.: in the city) with kids.  The school system is a joke right now. 

the appropriate question is: what kind of cars do they have?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1040 on: November 14, 2013, 10:05:49 PM »

Sigh.

While I won't disagree with the concept.  There is no way I'd move into some cities right now.  And really, uprooting families to a new city is not a very easy decision to make.  Yes, it can and has been done but it can be rather emotional.  Not to mention the whole finding new employment thing.

For instance, the city of Philadelphia - if I worked in the city, there is no way I would move closer to work (i.e.: in the city) with kids.  The school system is a joke right now. 

the appropriate question is: what kind of cars do they have?

Large expensive ones, of course :-)

I think the key thing here is to recognise that you're CHOOSING to live your life the way you're living it. Which is great if you're happy with your choices. But these people are telling me that they have no control and it's all just magically turned out in a way that costs them loads of money. No sense of personal responsibility for the consequences of their choices. It's fine to choose to live in a certain suburb, but that means that if there's no public transport, that's not luck, that's a choice they've made. The universe is not conspiring to keep these people broke - that's the result of the choices they're making.

Personally, I'd rather control my spending, save more money and be able to buy a house in a suburb that has a decent commute (AND decent schools, for that matter, which is definitely possible in my city where my coworkers live - I can't comment on other cities or countries). But that requires long term thinking and the ability to resist instant gratification, which I've noticed are skills lacking amongst my peer group.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1041 on: November 15, 2013, 01:03:59 AM »

And I have been.  I mean, I've hired 3 engineers in the last couple of years who are at my level but without the years of experience in our particular industry.  The going rate?  Apparently $12k to $40k more than I am getting paid.

That's rough but I feel like I'm missing something.  Do you have a poor relationship with your boss?  I feel like when hiring those new engineers you could have raised the issue of engineer retention.  Maybe give your boss your resume and mention that this guy looks pretty good and should probably earn market rate.

Half-Borg

• Bristles
« Reply #1042 on: November 15, 2013, 01:42:18 AM »
From a guy with a financed car and credit card debt, who is in the same situation as me (no family, nice paycheck, "could" bike to work, he even pays the same for rent):
"Of course you can save while I can't, you earn more money."
I earn 300€ more and save around 2000€ more...

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1043 on: November 15, 2013, 04:00:18 PM »
^And when he gets the 300 euro raise, he still won't be able to save, of course.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1044 on: November 15, 2013, 08:12:40 PM »

That's rough but I feel like I'm missing something.  Do you have a poor relationship with your boss?  I feel like when hiring those new engineers you could have raised the issue of engineer retention.  Maybe give your boss your resume and mention that this guy looks pretty good and should probably earn market rate.

Yes, we've had a hard time hiring engineers because of our pay not being that great.  Which changed over the last two years.  When we hired the last engineer, my boss pitched the suggestion that because she was expensive, we push out hiring her for a couple of months.  I didn't think we could wait that long.  He then said "well, I wanted to give you a raise but I don't have the budget to do both".  Stupid me said "I'd rather you hire her."  I mean, I like the fact that he WANTS to give me a raise. Which means when he has the budget, I'll get one, right?  And really, I was thinking of the success of the company.  We needed her.

Well, we reorg'd, and now he's not my boss anymore. :(  And she's frustrated and probably going to quit, just like the other senior engineer did.  It's turned into a not-so-fun place to work.  Shoulda taken the pay raise.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #1045 on: November 15, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »
My boyfriend had a great conversation with a couple of coworkers in the lunchroom a couple o days ago.

He was eating fried rice and a calzone, leftover from dinner the night before. Coworkers were eating takeout.

CW1: That looks good - does your girlfriend cook dinner every night?
Him: Yeah...
CW2: She probably doesn't have a long commute like the rest of us.
CW1: Wow... How can she do that? Do you go grocery shopping every day?
Him: No... why would we? We go a few times a week. We go shopping together - it's not that hard.
CW1: I wouldn't know what to make.
Him: *facepalm*

Makes you realize how much of the stuff mustachians do every day practically on autopilot seems completely impossible/insane to "others".

brewer12345

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1046 on: November 15, 2013, 10:36:12 PM »

Yes, we've had a hard time hiring engineers because of our pay not being that great.  Which changed over the last two years.  When we hired the last engineer, my boss pitched the suggestion that because she was expensive, we push out hiring her for a couple of months.  I didn't think we could wait that long.  He then said "well, I wanted to give you a raise but I don't have the budget to do both".  Stupid me said "I'd rather you hire her."  I mean, I like the fact that he WANTS to give me a raise. Which means when he has the budget, I'll get one, right?  And really, I was thinking of the success of the company.  We needed her.

Well, we reorg'd, and now he's not my boss anymore. :(  And she's frustrated and probably going to quit, just like the other senior engineer did.  It's turned into a not-so-fun place to work.  Shoulda taken the pay raise.

I'd say you need to find a new, better job.

C. K.

• Bristles
« Reply #1047 on: November 16, 2013, 02:32:51 AM »

We distill our tap water with a Waterwise Distiller. Problem solved.

Daleth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1048 on: November 16, 2013, 02:33:45 PM »
Personally, I'd rather control my spending, save more money and be able to buy a house in a suburb that has a decent commute (AND decent schools, for that matter, which is definitely possible in my city where my coworkers live - I can't comment on other cities or countries). But that requires long term thinking and the ability to resist instant gratification, which I've noticed are skills lacking amongst my peer group.

Third option: live in the city, have one cheap car instead of two expensive ones, and use what you save on car payments, gas, insurance and gym memberships (not needed if you're biking/walking everywhere) to cover or help cover your kids' tuition at a private school.

Or live in the city and send your kids to a good charter or magnet school.

Maybe I just shy away from feeling permanently locked into something that might not turn out to be right for me/us, but I've never understood why people spend a ton to buy houses in X suburb "because of the schools" when generally speaking, at least in most American/European/Canadian cities, there are good options other than your default neighborhood public schools. I'd rather have a cheaper house and the ability to choose between various schools (some free--charter and magnet schools--some not).

the fixer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1049 on: November 16, 2013, 02:37:51 PM »
We distill our tap water with a Waterwise Distiller. Problem solved.

If the only problem is chlorine, there's a cheaper way: leave water out in an open container for ~24 hours. Chlorine evaporates. This won't work for water treated with chloramine though.