Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252672 times)

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #14350 on: August 11, 2016, 09:33:11 AM »
So the mom thing is weird, but that aside, is there a back story where this guy has terrible finances and in no way can afford this car, or are you just critical of a dude who apparently has different priorities than you? 

I should note that I work with plenty of, and at one time was, young single men with good incomes and little/no other financial obligations who drive cars that were a little more expensive than might be otherwise prudent, but to no ill effects because, again, no other obligations. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 09:34:55 AM by Chris22 »

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #14351 on: August 11, 2016, 10:09:43 AM »
I just got an email at work saying that payroll wasn't processed this week due to some sort of "technical difficulty" - Whatever, I have cash reserves specifically for random things like this, no big deal as long as I get paid eventually.

I haven't left my office yet to go up front, but I imagine that a few people are rioting. Gonna go "refill my coffee" and see if anything's on fire yet. This could get exciting.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14352 on: August 11, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »
I just got an email at work saying that payroll wasn't processed this week due to some sort of "technical difficulty" - Whatever, I have cash reserves specifically for random things like this, no big deal as long as I get paid eventually.

I haven't left my office yet to go up front, but I imagine that a few people are rioting. Gonna go "refill my coffee" and see if anything's on fire yet. This could get exciting.

Normally I wouldn't even notice that. But if that happened to my wife or I anytime from the end of July to the end of this month, we'd be rioting too.

There are times that even for the responsible that can really fuck up your current situation.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14353 on: August 11, 2016, 10:14:09 AM »

I will keep my financial advices to myself when it comes to him. Nothing else I can do ;)

I think that was the wisest course to take.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14354 on: August 11, 2016, 10:17:13 AM »

Normally I wouldn't even notice that. But if that happened to my wife or I anytime from the end of July to the end of this month, we'd be rioting too.

There are times that even for the responsible that can really fuck up your current situation.

Yup.  I manage my checking account cash fairly tightly, and have lots of auto withdrawals and such, it would be a PITA to have to deal with them not paying me.  It's not like they don't do the same thing every other goddamn week, how can they fuck it up?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14355 on: August 11, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »

Yup.  I manage my checking account cash fairly tightly, and have lots of auto withdrawals and such, it would be a PITA to have to deal with them not paying me.  It's not like they don't do the same thing every other goddamn week, how can they fuck it up?

Right now it would probably cause us to lose the house that we're trying to buy. Or at least delay the process, which would require us to move in with parents and get a storage unit.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #14356 on: August 11, 2016, 10:36:31 AM »

Right now it would probably cause us to lose the house that we're trying to buy. Or at least delay the process, which would require us to move in with parents and get a storage unit.

Dang, that would actually be a problem.

Like Chris22, I usually keep my checking account pretty tight too - but I just moved a couple grand into checking last week with the intention of buying a motorcycle soon (I know, I know, facepunch me). I suppose I'd be more annoyed if I actually had to do a savings transfer, but I'll just delay the purchase and use it as a cash cushion for a week or two. *shrug*

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14357 on: August 11, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »

Dang, that would actually be a problem.

Like Chris22, I usually keep my checking account pretty tight too - but I just moved a couple grand into checking last week with the intention of buying a motorcycle soon (I know, I know, facepunch me). I suppose I'd be more annoyed if I actually had to do a savings transfer, but I'll just delay the purchase and use it as a cash cushion for a week or two. *shrug*

This is the first time in a long time that it would be a problem, but it would certainly delay underwriting and we're on a tight rope in terms of our lease ending and closing. And after the close, we wouldn't notice it at all--assuming they got it fixed within 2 or 3 paychecks.

Although I would be very concerned about my employment status if they couldn't fix it within a week.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #14358 on: August 11, 2016, 11:47:16 AM »
*snip*

This is the first time in a long time that it would be a problem, but it would certainly delay underwriting and we're on a tight rope in terms of our lease ending and closing. And after the close, we wouldn't notice it at all--assuming they got it fixed within 2 or 3 paychecks.

Although I would be very concerned about my employment status if they couldn't fix it within a week.

Agreed. I'm pretty sure someone just accidentally dropped the ball, but it would start to bother me on principle past a certain point.

We have an agreement - I show up and do my job, and you pay me.

To quote someone much smarter than I am: "The day that one of us stops holding up our end, the other is free to do the same."

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14359 on: August 11, 2016, 11:56:31 AM »

I keep my house at a temp that would give MMMers fits.  68-70 all year around.  Bump up to 75 if we go away.  I have a small house and a highly efficient brand new HVAC system.  My July electric bill was $124.  Whoopty shit.  If it was $400 I'd do something different.  For $124 I'm keeping it exactly as I like it.

lol.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #14360 on: August 11, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »

I keep my house at a temp that would give MMMers fits.  68-70 all year around.  Bump up to 75 if we go away.  I have a small house and a highly efficient brand new HVAC system.  My July electric bill was $124.  Whoopty shit.  If it was $400 I'd do something different.  For $124 I'm keeping it exactly as I like it.

lol.

If I had a $124 electric bill for just one month, I believe I would shit a live canary.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14361 on: August 11, 2016, 12:13:08 PM »

lol.

If I had a $124 electric bill for just one month, I believe I would shit a live canary.

124 is about average for us, but we are all electric no gas.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14362 on: August 11, 2016, 12:23:06 PM »

lol.

124 is about average for us, but we are all electric no gas.

As a reference, my electric bill in the winter is ~$60-80 (plus a gas bill of maybe $80; summer gas bill is like $30 but I have a gas water heater and dryer).  So as I see it, I'm paying ~$40-60/mo for 3-4 months to be the temp I want.  I am 100% okay with that. 

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14363 on: August 11, 2016, 12:24:56 PM »
*snip*

Agreed. I'm pretty sure someone just accidentally dropped the ball, but it would start to bother me on principle past a certain point.

To quote someone much smarter than I am: "The day that one of us stops holding up our end, the other is free to do the same."

We've only not gotten payroll out on Friday once, and it took until the following Monday afternoon.  Our payroll is physical checks handed out every Friday.  Someone sold their check and the bank called to say duplicates had been made, our checks had been compromised.  The called about this Thursday morning.  It took until Monday to have a totally different set of checks mailed to us and for the bank to get a copy and put out an alert that the old checks could be fake.  We then had to do a bunch of "these check numbers and amounts are real, anything else is fake" and do it with the main local check cashing places.  It was chaos, a lot of people didn't like it, but there was nothing else we could do other than hand out literal cash.  Which I don't think the owners have that much cash laying around, and you couldn't withdraw that much in bills from the bank haha.

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • It's a new day, anything is possible.
« Reply #14364 on: August 11, 2016, 12:34:11 PM »
I have two.

First one was yesterday when several coworkers and I went out socially after work. We attended a AAA baseball game that was fun and relatively cheap. Afterwards we went to my bosses new house and had drinks. Not being a drinker I have very little knowledge of brands and types. Two coworkers were bragging about the smooth whiskey the boss provided costing $200 a bottle (they went through 2 while we were there). I almost gagged on my water.

The other one is someone who I commute with but works in another part of the organization. He is 63, no wife or kids. He has been renting the same place for 34 years currently for $600 a month. The owner recently sold and he received notice that his rent will be increased to $900 a month which for around here is still cheap. I know he makes pretty good money (~70k) but says he can't afford the increase. He has commented in the past that he doesn't save anything and buys what he wants. He is considering taking the new landlord to court on a technicality to delay the rent increase.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14365 on: August 11, 2016, 12:45:14 PM »
He has been renting the same place for 34 years currently for $600 a month.

34 years at the same place!!!!

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14366 on: August 11, 2016, 01:00:34 PM »
So the mom thing is weird, but that aside, is there a back story where this guy has terrible finances and in no way can afford this car, or are you just critical of a dude who apparently has different priorities than you? 
I guess I'm critical because in the past he has commented how "easier" it's for me to save since I make more money than him.

Depending on the snarkiness of those comments, I'll sometimes reply 'and yet your monthly spending is twice mine'.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14367 on: August 11, 2016, 01:00:59 PM »
I have two.

First one was yesterday when several coworkers and I went out socially after work. We attended a AAA baseball game that was fun and relatively cheap. Afterwards we went to my bosses new house and had drinks. Not being a drinker I have very little knowledge of brands and types. Two coworkers were bragging about the smooth whiskey the boss provided costing $200 a bottle (they went through 2 while we were there). I almost gagged on my water.

The other one is someone who I commute with but works in another part of the organization. He is 63, no wife or kids. He has been renting the same place for 34 years currently for $600 a month. The owner recently sold and he received notice that his rent will be increased to $900 a month which for around here is still cheap. I know he makes pretty good money (~70k) but says he can't afford the increase. He has commented in the past that he doesn't save anything and buys what he wants. He is considering taking the new landlord to court on a technicality to delay the rent increase.

You'd die at my best friends whiskey collection (seriously it's up to a few hundred bottles), 200 is a fairly cheap high end bottle, some bottles are a grand or more.  Not my cup of tea, and this guy is pretty mustachian in other realms, but his yearly whiskey tour routinely puts a multi thousand dollar hit in his budget.  He scored a few bottles of Pappy last year, invited everyone over for some, it was good, I wouldn't pay the price for it though. 

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14368 on: August 11, 2016, 01:05:35 PM »
I have two.

You'd die at my best friends whiskey collection (seriously it's up to a few hundred bottles), 200 is a fairly cheap high end bottle, some bottles are a grand or more.  Not my cup of tea, and this guy is pretty mustachian in other realms, but his yearly whiskey tour routinely puts a multi thousand dollar hit in his budget.  He scored a few bottles of Pappy last year, invited everyone over for some, it was good, I wouldn't pay the price for it though.

Buffalo Trace, made at the same distillery as Pappy, and costs $25/fifth.

Or Eagle Rare is the next step up for $35 if you're feeling spendy.  Buffalo Trace is my favorite bourbon hands down, regardless of price, but I'll admit my experience only extends to about $60-70/bottle, haven't had the really $$$ stuff.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14369 on: August 11, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »
*snip*

Yeah I'd be angling for go home for the day (paid)... You know, to juggle my finances to accommodate the error. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14370 on: August 11, 2016, 01:08:36 PM »
I have two.

Or Eagle Rare is the next step up for $35 if you're feeling spendy.  Buffalo Trace is my favorite bourbon hands down, regardless of price, but I'll admit my experience only extends to about $60-70/bottle, haven't had the really $$$ stuff.

Not a fan of Buffalo Trace, which is why I haven't sought out pappy's.

I'm a big fan of Mitcher's, which reminds me a lot of Woodford Reserve, only slightly... better somehow. Maybe I should have my wife blind pour me some of both, they could be the same for all I know.

On the lower end from that I like Very Old Barton and Old Fitzgerald, both of which are difficult to find in Chicagoland, so I go towards the more anti-mustachian bourbons like the WR and Mitchers.

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14371 on: August 11, 2016, 01:16:10 PM »
He has been renting the same place for 34 years currently for $600 a month.

34 years at the same place!!!!

That's right. I drive past this place from time to time and I think it hasn't had much maintenance done in that same time.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #14372 on: August 11, 2016, 01:20:13 PM »
I have two.

I'm a big fan of Mitcher's, which reminds me a lot of Woodford Reserve, only slightly... better somehow. Maybe I should have my wife blind pour me some of both, they could be the same for all I know.

On the lower end from that I like Very Old Barton and Old Fitzgerald, both of which are difficult to find in Chicagoland, so I go towards the more anti-mustachian bourbons like the WR and Mitchers.

All four of these posts have me salivating right now.

You know you're a functional alcoholic when...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14373 on: August 11, 2016, 01:24:12 PM »
I have two.

I've been lookwarm on bourbons until this Friday. I went over to a friend's house with a few cigars that someone had given me. We smoke them on his porch while sipping Maker's Mark and wow did it really hit the spot.

Any recommendations for a few inexpensive bottles to try, or anything I should know? Or anything you recommend for a first bottle?

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14374 on: August 11, 2016, 01:30:28 PM »
I have two.

I've been lookwarm on bourbons until this Friday. I went over to a friend's house with a few cigars that someone had given me. We smoke them on his porch while sipping Maker's Mark and wow did it really hit the spot.

Any recommendations for a few inexpensive bottles to try, or anything I should know? Or anything you recommend for a first bottle?

Great thing about bourbons is that you can buy great bottles for well under $50 all day long.

Try:
-Buffalo Trace
-Eagle Rare
-Knob Creek (and KC Single Barrel)
-Jim Beam Black (shockingly good for like $20)
-Maker's 46
-Four Roses
-Templton Rye is pretty good

And there are plenty more. 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14375 on: August 11, 2016, 01:37:25 PM »
I have two.

What is inexpensive? $20 or $50?

For beginners, depending on budget, I recommend (going down in price) Bakers, Mitchers, Eagle Rare, Woodford Reserve, Costco/Kirkland brand (although it appears to have changed, so I don't know how it will be), and Very Old Barton. That takes you from about $50 a bottle to $15 a bottle, and generally are pretty easy to drink. For a beginner, if you have the choice between higher and lower proof, go lower. Make sure it is on ice, and don't be afraid to cut it with water or mix it with anything (but the correct answer is Ginger Ale or an Old Fashioned).

Whiskey isn't for everyone. Same as anything. I enjoy it a lot. I hate tequila. Don't force it on yourself if you don't like it; if you need a mixer to like it, go for the mixer.

But am really not a fan of Makers myself--too sweet. Far too sweet. So my opinion may not be the best for you if you enjoyed Makers.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14376 on: August 11, 2016, 01:37:38 PM »
I like booze

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14377 on: August 11, 2016, 01:44:33 PM »
I have two.

What is inexpensive? $20 or $50?

For beginners, depending on budget, I recommend (going down in price) Bakers, Mitchers, Eagle Rare, Woodford Reserve, Costco/Kirkland brand (although it appears to have changed, so I don't know how it will be), and Very Old Barton. That takes you from about $50 a bottle to $15 a bottle, and generally are pretty easy to drink. For a beginner, if you have the choice between higher and lower proof, go lower. Make sure it is on ice, and don't be afraid to cut it with water or mix it with anything (but the correct answer is Ginger Ale or an Old Fashioned).

Whiskey isn't for everyone. Same as anything. I enjoy it a lot. I hate tequila. Don't force it on yourself if you don't like it; if you need a mixer to like it, go for the mixer.

But am really not a fan of Makers myself--too sweet. Far too sweet. So my opinion may not be the best for you if you enjoyed Makers.

I think Makers is a gateway bourbon, it's what I drank until I decided I liked bourbon and now I'm not much of a Makers fan.  Knob Creek is my go-to mainstream bourbon in a bar/restaurant/etc.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14378 on: August 11, 2016, 01:55:01 PM »
I have two.

Great thing about bourbons is that you can buy great bottles for well under $50 all day long.

Try:
-Buffalo Trace
-Eagle Rare
-Maker's 46
-Four Roses

Don't forget about Wild Turkey.  Its about $20 for a bottle of the 101.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14379 on: August 11, 2016, 02:16:41 PM »
I hate tequila. Don't force it on yourself if you don't like it; if you need a mixer to like it, go for the mixer.

That's a good point, my entire life I would drink tequila with a mix or other things, never straight. That is until I tried a Guatemalan tequila that completely blew my mind. I'm somewhat tempted to buy a bottle, it's like $40.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14380 on: August 11, 2016, 02:25:15 PM »
I have two.

Try:
-Buffalo Trace
-Eagle Rare
-Maker's 46
-Four Roses

Don't forget about Wild Turkey.  Its about $20 for a bottle of the 101.

Thanks for the advice, I would like to stay around $30 and under for the time being because I'm newish to bourbon and I fundamentally believe that as you upgrade the level of your poison your enjoyment doesn't change, it's just the cost and snobbish factor that does. I regret being a beer snob as it costs me more to get the same enjoyment as my warehouse manger gets off a Coors Light.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14381 on: August 11, 2016, 03:06:19 PM »
MGO

Eagle rare...hands down, it's about 35 a bottle here, it's our go to, a great quality for the price for a beginner bottle.

In regards to Buffalo Trace vs Pappy.   WORLDS and WORLDS and WORLDS apart, you'd never know they were from the same place.  Pappy is hands down the best bourbon I've had in my life, both the 20 and the 23 year are great (and thanks to best friends hobby I've now had several hundred brands, I bring the food, he does a tasting party).  However it's next to impossible to get without paying the highly inflated online price of about 2k.  Seriously, our liquor store got robbed last year on Pappy delivery day, dude didn't take money, he stuck them up for their 2 bottles they were alloted.  Best friend got it in some back woods liquor store that had been stiffed on their initial allotment, he had to help unload an entire truck to get it at liquor store price. 

nr

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14382 on: August 11, 2016, 05:46:47 PM »
I have two.

Blanton's.  Not the cheapest but at around $55 a bottle it's not super high end.  And boy is it good!

Whistle Pig also makes a great rye.

CmFtns

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14383 on: August 12, 2016, 09:07:52 AM »
Why the hell is everyone talking about bottles?

buy a handle of the stuff it's not like bourbon goes bad...

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14384 on: August 12, 2016, 10:02:14 AM »

1: The handle isn't always the best deal 
2: I like to experiment with a lot of it. I am not willing to buy a handle if I don't know if I'll like it
3: My favorite bottom shelf brand doesn't come in a handle, at least around me
4: I don't drink it that fast. I've moved with one particular handle 3 times now (College, landlord sold place, new job)
5: It is a pain to pour from some handles. This was a big issue for my grandpa in his old age; we'd buy him the little flask sized ones and pour from the handle into that.

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14385 on: August 12, 2016, 01:51:10 PM »
I have two.

Blanton's.  Not the cheapest but at around $55 a bottle it's not super high end.  And boy is it good!

Whistle Pig also makes a great rye.

Damn, I didn't mean to turn this thread over to the drunks. :)

LivlongnProsper

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14386 on: August 12, 2016, 04:16:25 PM »
Man, I need a drink.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14387 on: August 12, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »

1: The handle isn't always the best deal 
2: I like to experiment with a lot of it. I am not willing to buy a handle if I don't know if I'll like it
3: My favorite bottom shelf brand doesn't come in a handle, at least around me
4: I don't drink it that fast. I've moved with one particular handle 3 times now (College, landlord sold place, new job)
5: It is a pain to pour from some handles. This was a big issue for my grandpa in his old age; we'd buy him the little flask sized ones and pour from the handle into that.

BTDretire

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14388 on: August 13, 2016, 12:22:11 PM »

Damn, I didn't mean to turn this thread over to the drunks. :)

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14389 on: August 13, 2016, 05:52:09 PM »

I really enjoyed the Buffalo Trace rye, I got an >80% full bottle for free. Left over from an in-store tasting.

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14390 on: August 13, 2016, 06:58:55 PM »
I like to be under blankets when I sleep, so I need to keep it a little cooler than ideal on the other levels to keep it comfy on the bedroom level.

FWIW, I also find it much easier to get to sleep when there's a heavy feeling blanket on top of me, but really didn't want to waste all that energy in the summer.  I got a cheap heavy rope net and spread it out over the sheets.  Under the sheet it feels like you're sleeping under a big comforter, but it traps almost no heat at all.

Genius!

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #14391 on: August 13, 2016, 09:34:10 PM »
I haven't overheard anything good at work this weekend, but I wanted to post just so there's another recent post that isn't about #%@!ing bourbon. ;)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14392 on: August 13, 2016, 11:38:20 PM »
I haven't overheard anything good at work this weekend, but I wanted to post just so there's another recent post that isn't about #%@!ing bourbon. ;)

You do realize that your post was about bourbon...

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14393 on: August 14, 2016, 06:38:21 AM »

You do realize that your post was about bourbon...

Technically their post was about that many of the posts have been about bourbon.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14394 on: August 14, 2016, 02:43:43 PM »
Rick: "Your story had me a little confused. Or maybe it was the bourbon."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14395 on: August 14, 2016, 05:47:51 PM »
I think I've decided on Buffalo Trace.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14396 on: August 15, 2016, 03:13:59 AM »
Overheard with friends:

Friend: "Any book recommendations? I know you like to read."

Me: "I've recently enjoyed x y and z"

Friend: "Great. Where do you buy your books from? I never know where is the best place?"

Me: "Oh I don't buy fiction, I get them at the library."

Friend: "Yeah, but I read in bed. I don't like the idea of something someone else has touched in my bed."

Me: ........................? (Yeah, mainly I was trying to think up dirty jokes, but I was actually left speechless).

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14397 on: August 15, 2016, 03:35:39 AM »
Overheard with friends:

Friend: "Any book recommendations? I know you like to read."

Me: "I've recently enjoyed x y and z"

Friend: "Great. Where do you buy your books from? I never know where is the best place?"

Me: "Oh I don't buy fiction, I get them at the library."

Friend: "Yeah, but I read in bed. I don't like the idea of something someone else has touched in my bed."

Me: ........................? (Yeah, mainly I was trying to think up dirty jokes, but I was actually left speechless).

"Was your wife a virgin when you met her?"

pancakes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14398 on: August 15, 2016, 04:00:11 AM »
A colleague who is single and paying minimal rent in a house their parents own and struggling to make ends meet discovered on the weekend that their sibling earns less than them, is paying a mortgage, raising two kids, supporting a stay at home parent and is getting by just fine.

Hopefully this is the moment when they realise the problem isn't the world or that they are not paid enough but the problem is them and their spending.

theadvicist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14399 on: August 15, 2016, 04:59:12 AM »

"Was your wife a virgin when you met her?"

I did actually come up with that one (well, husband) but actually, they're high school sweethearts, so I actually think they both were!

Points for being consistent, I guess?