Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13252926 times)

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #14300 on: August 09, 2016, 09:07:45 AM »
So its kinda sad but kinda funny...

Two years ago my coworker had one pit bull.  He moved about a year ago into a country house (out of the city) and decided to start a goat farm (another hilarious story for another time).  He buys a female pit bull for 300$ to breed with the male to make pups to "protect the goats"...  He can't keep his original pit bull in the same fence as the goats or it will kill them (duh).

They breed and he gets three puppies.  Six months ago, the male gets out and kills a goat- one missed day of work and one bullet later that dog is put down.  Yesterday, the "puppies" (now thirty pounds or more) get out and kill another goat.  He is now pondering how to get rid of all four remaining pit bulls without putting them all down...

Total cost:  1 day of work (130$+/-), 2 Goats (150$), 1 Female Pit Bull (300$), Goat feed for two goats he never sold (60$ +/-), 680$ in vet fees and shots...  1320$ for an 'investment' that ALL of us in this shared office told him was a bad idea and wouldn't work.

Ooof.  What did he want the pit bull to protect the goats from?

I have a giant airedale that was bred to protect sheep from coyotes and to dissuade mountain lions, but he's got a good 10 inches on pit bulls.
Gaurd llamas are where it's at. No mountain lion or bobcat is gonna mess with your goats while the guard Llama is on duty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

onlykelsey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14301 on: August 09, 2016, 09:15:13 AM »
Ooof.  What did he want the pit bull to protect the goats from?

I have a giant airedale that was bred to protect sheep from coyotes and to dissuade mountain lions, but he's got a good 10 inches on pit bulls.

Coyotes.  We all told him to get a donkey (which would have been 400$ TOPS) and he said he didn't have the funds...  But he bought a 300$ dog.

Donkeys are badass.  They don't patrol the edges like guard dogs, but they will mess you up if you get close.  I guess you also probably have to expect higher vet bills, etc.

9-Volt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14302 on: August 09, 2016, 09:57:39 AM »
THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

I LOL'ed

cerat0n1a

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14303 on: August 09, 2016, 10:24:16 AM »
Gaurd llamas are where it's at. No mountain lion or bobcat is gonna mess with your goats while the guard Llama is on duty.

No dangerous wild animals here in Britain, but I've seen a few places using llamas/alpacas to guard sheep, chickens and/or goats from dogs.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #14304 on: August 09, 2016, 11:08:41 AM »
Maybe they like to air condition the room while the patio doors are open?

My neighbor is very nice overall but they like to keep their house COLD.  68 is their normal setting during the summer.  When they are gone on vacation for a week or more they turn the thermostat all the way up to 70.  The AC is running almost constantly, even late into the evening when it is cool outside.

They told me they do this because their house is "like and igloo cooler"  If it heats up it is difficult to cool back down so they just keep it cold all the time.  I mentioned that I rarely use the AC, only turning it on when the house gets over 84.  They just shook their heads.

At least they do keep their doors, windows and blinds closed.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14305 on: August 09, 2016, 11:24:06 AM »
No dangerous wild animals here in Britain, but I've seen a few places using llamas/alpacas to guard sheep, chickens and/or goats from dogs.
<OT>
Bollocks, mate. You've got chavs and asbos. And there's more gang-bangers in some of yer cities. Technically those are urban wild animals.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Scally
</OT>
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 11:26:33 AM by jinga nation »

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14306 on: August 09, 2016, 11:48:57 AM »

My neighbor is very nice overall but they like to keep their house COLD.  68 is their normal setting during the summer.  When they are gone on vacation for a week or more they turn the thermostat all the way up to 70.  The AC is running almost constantly, even late into the evening when it is cool outside.

They told me they do this because their house is "like and igloo cooler"  If it heats up it is difficult to cool back down so they just keep it cold all the time.  I mentioned that I rarely use the AC, only turning it on when the house gets over 84.  They just shook their heads.

Horribly innefficient/undersized AC, or horrible insulation? I did live in a place that we had to tape the edges of the windows AND put cardboard with reflective paper in them, and run the AC at full blast 24/7 so that the upstairs would be in the high 70's by midnight. That one was insane. We didn't care that much since the landlord was paying utilities, but it still was annoying. And trying to tell him that a new AC unit (hell, even just a couple of window units in the bedrooms) would save him money in the long run was useless.

Also the only place I've lived that I had to use the heat as early as October--but at least the furnace was sufficient.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14307 on: August 09, 2016, 12:08:52 PM »
What do you even need them for in the first place?
heck if I know...hold back the rusting of the wheels?

Just another trim item that the car company can use to separate the basic cars from the fancy cars. Really became a big deal in the 40s and 50s. Remember that in the mid-30 people still had spoke wheels on some of the cars and a tiny little hubcap to keep the mud off of the lugnuts and hopefully out of the wheel bearings (there is a cap there but sometimes they come loose). See 1935 Ford Cabriolet for example.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14308 on: August 09, 2016, 12:09:50 PM »
Donkeys are badass.  They don't patrol the edges like guard dogs, but they will mess you up if you get close.  I guess you also probably have to expect higher vet bills, etc.

And they live longer than a dog.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14309 on: August 09, 2016, 12:17:29 PM »

I keep my house at a temp that would give MMMers fits.  68-70 all year around.  Bump up to 75 if we go away.  I have a small house and a highly efficient brand new HVAC system.  My July electric bill was $124.  Whoopty shit.  If it was $400 I'd do something different.  For $124 I'm keeping it exactly as I like it. 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14310 on: August 09, 2016, 12:23:00 PM »

And they live longer than a dog.
And you can compost their manure for the garden.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14311 on: August 09, 2016, 12:27:14 PM »

I keep my house at a temp that would give MMMers fits.  68-70 all year around.  Bump up to 75 if we go away.  I have a small house and a highly efficient brand new HVAC system.  My July electric bill was $124.  Whoopty shit.  If it was $400 I'd do something different.  For $124 I'm keeping it exactly as I like it.

Out of curiosity, why do you bump it only to 75 when you go away?

(I have a programmable one--we're at 68-74 for the time that we're at home, then it goes to 82 until an hour before we get home when I have it set to kick in again. When we're gone, I have it set to be at 82 except for twice a day when it runs to keep the humidity low)

Aeowulf

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Aeowulf Forums
« Reply #14312 on: August 09, 2016, 12:38:49 PM »
If the temp goes above 77 outside, the AC is on at 75. If it hits 100, it feels hotter somehow so we turn it down to 74. Any cooler and it just feels cold. My May bill was $70 and my June bill was $85. Not too bad. We don't use heat or AC between 55-77 temps, and our bill in the Spring and Fall is about the price of a tank of gas.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14313 on: August 09, 2016, 12:47:30 PM »
We run the thermostat at about 78 when we are there but right about the time we go to bed, I had the thermostat set to cool the house down to 75. Nice going to bed in a cool house, the outside temps are low enough at that point that the system gets the job done easily and then the system stays off until mid-morning the next day I believe.

Four warm bodies plus a trio of citters and our electric bill is about $90 a month in the mid-south with day time temps in the low 90s. Electric water heater too.

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14314 on: August 09, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »

Out of curiosity, why do you bump it only to 75 when you go away?

Because I don't want it to take forever to cool off when I get home (usually at night) and want to crawl into bed. 

One thing I didn't mention is that I have a tri-level house.  The top floor has the bedrooms, and it's usually 3-5 degrees warmer than the main floor, which is a few degrees warmer than the "basement" level that is half underground.  I like to be under blankets when I sleep, so I need to keep it a little cooler than ideal on the other levels to keep it comfy on the bedroom level.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14315 on: August 09, 2016, 02:09:36 PM »

Because I don't want it to take forever to cool off when I get home (usually at night) and want to crawl into bed. 

One thing I didn't mention is that I have a tri-level house.  The top floor has the bedrooms, and it's usually 3-5 degrees warmer than the main floor, which is a few degrees warmer than the "basement" level that is half underground.  I like to be under blankets when I sleep, so I need to keep it a little cooler than ideal on the other levels to keep it comfy on the bedroom level.

I am with you on not wanting it to take forever to cool off.  I recently changed ours to 75 during the day because of how long it would take to cool the air down from the 80 it had been set on.  I would rather the AC run for 20 minutes sporadically throughout the day than 2 hours straight to cool the house down.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14316 on: August 09, 2016, 04:31:12 PM »
I like to be under blankets when I sleep, so I need to keep it a little cooler than ideal on the other levels to keep it comfy on the bedroom level.

FWIW, I also find it much easier to get to sleep when there's a heavy feeling blanket on top of me, but really didn't want to waste all that energy in the summer.  I got a cheap heavy rope net and spread it out over the sheets.  Under the sheet it feels like you're sleeping under a big comforter, but it traps almost no heat at all.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14317 on: August 09, 2016, 05:24:02 PM »

I assume in winter they turn the thermostat up to 100? To this day I am still freaked out by people who will have their homes frigid in the summer but will have it boiling in the winter.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2016, 05:33:54 PM by kayvent »

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14318 on: August 09, 2016, 05:51:02 PM »

I assume in winter they turn the thermostat up to 100? To this day I am still freaked out by people who will have their homes frigid in the summer but will have it boiling in the winter.
A few years ago I was living in Houston and we took a trip to visit family in Utah.  It was November, so still quite warm in Houston, but already cold in the Rockies.  Our relatives were going to college at the time.  When we walked into one of the buildings, it must have been 80 degrees, even though it was about 40 outside.  Back in Houston, our office building was set at 60-62.  IOW, it was cooler indoors in Houston in warm weather, and hotter indoors in Utah in cold weather.

crazy jane

• Bristles
« Reply #14319 on: August 09, 2016, 06:28:38 PM »
Let's get back to talking about butter chicken. Thanks to the poster who mentioned the NY Times recipe. I made it the other day and it was one of the most delicious things I have ever cooked.

johndoe

• Stubble
« Reply #14320 on: August 09, 2016, 07:33:20 PM »
(for a two month period) ... $47
Holy cow! How? !

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14321 on: August 09, 2016, 08:52:52 PM »
Whoopty.  Shit.

When I first graduated college, I worked for the electric company and found out that people would complain to me, a low-level FNG, about their electricity bills.  I then rented an apartment which had utilities provided.  Most of my neighbors would have the sliding glass doors open with AC on full-blast and I never had to hear about the cost of electricity.   

I've been to a hotel that had a sensor on the patio door.  When you opened the door, the AC turned off.  I guess it makes more sense now.

I like to be under blankets when I sleep, so I need to keep it a little cooler than ideal on the other levels to keep it comfy on the bedroom level.

FWIW, I also find it much easier to get to sleep when there's a heavy feeling blanket on top of me, but really didn't want to waste all that energy in the summer.  I got a cheap heavy rope net and spread it out over the sheets.  Under the sheet it feels like you're sleeping under a big comforter, but it traps almost no heat at all.

That's some creative thinking -- I'd love to see a photo of you snuggled up under your rope net.   Send it to Decor Magazine -- maybe it'll be a new maritime trend!

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14322 on: August 09, 2016, 08:55:43 PM »

Thanks for this FANTASTIC idea! I have a child with a sensory processing disorder who loves the weight of blankets but sweats bullets in summer -- brilliant!

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14323 on: August 09, 2016, 09:00:57 PM »

Thanks for this FANTASTIC idea! I have a child with a sensory processing disorder who loves the weight of blankets but sweats bullets in summer -- brilliant!

Caution! Depending on the child's age strangling may be a risk. I wonder if the net could be sewn between two sheets to be safer for young children? 

I've also seen DIY weighted blankets sewn with chambers filled with fish gravel (so they are washable) but those can get expensive and perhaps over warm as well.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14324 on: August 09, 2016, 09:27:07 PM »
Good tips PMG! The child I'm referring to is 11 years old.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14325 on: August 10, 2016, 06:57:22 AM »
(for a two month period) ... $47
Holy cow! How? !

I dont know. West australian power might be cheaper? Also i don't use my aircon almost ever.

I also work away so i am only home half the time. So that would help (the work collegue and her partner also work away... so home as much as i am)

I dont know what else to say. I only have a small house. I dont feel like i do anything that amazing to keep it low.

billy

• Bristles
  • fired at 39 since 2021
« Reply #14326 on: August 10, 2016, 08:36:50 AM »
Friend at work just complained about having an electricity bill of over $500 (for a two month period) when I mentioned that hers was literally more than 10x mine ($47 for the same period) she countered with "but yes, you are single, we have two people in the house so of course we use more"

Math is hard.

I guess they need 10 lights on when they are in the same room?

THERE ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

I just saw the new Star Trek beyond yesterday and at night I watched STNG (we are on season five) :)
Can't wait for the new Star Trek show coming from our friendly neighbors above.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14327 on: August 10, 2016, 08:47:42 AM »

Yeah... hubcaps are mostly there because old steelies looked like shit; if you're cool with them looking like shit, then there's not a lot of need for hubcaps. Technically it kinda slightly helps keep shit out of your brakes and salt out of your wheel, but not much.

I really prefer the look of pretty much all newer car wheels - they visible side is single-piece with just a center cap over the axle nut; lug nuts poke through between spokes. No more hubcaps.

This.  I despise hubcaps and think they look so cheap.  If I ever own a car with them I will just take them off and run the black steel rims.  In fact in the winter I switch to my winter wheels which are plain black steel rims with snow tires.  Keeps my fancy summer rims looking nice (and no excuse really to buy an SUV since the snow tires do a really good job).

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14328 on: August 10, 2016, 08:57:47 AM »
Hub caps *can* be cool. Wheel covers are almost without exception ugly.

dignam

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14329 on: August 10, 2016, 09:45:36 AM »
Hub caps *can* be cool. Wheel covers are almost without exception ugly.

Good point, I meant wheel covers.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14330 on: August 10, 2016, 10:37:46 AM »

Yeah... hubcaps are mostly there because old steelies looked like shit; if you're cool with them looking like shit, then there's not a lot of need for hubcaps. Technically it kinda slightly helps keep shit out of your brakes and salt out of your wheel, but not much.

I really prefer the look of pretty much all newer car wheels - they visible side is single-piece with just a center cap over the axle nut; lug nuts poke through between spokes. No more hubcaps.

This.  I despise hubcaps and think they look so cheap.  If I ever own a car with them I will just take them off and run the black steel rims.  In fact in the winter I switch to my winter wheels which are plain black steel rims with snow tires.  Keeps my fancy summer rims looking nice (and no excuse really to buy an SUV since the snow tires do a really good job).

My parents and a few people in the warehouse have given me a little grief over the hubcaps, but I've always just said, "Please tell me how they affect the efficiency of my car?" And none of them have a response other than to say, "It just looks nicer."

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14331 on: August 10, 2016, 10:53:01 AM »

My parents and a few people in the warehouse have given me a little grief over the hubcaps, but I've always just said, "Please tell me how they affect the efficiency of my car?" And none of them have a response other than to say, "It just looks nicer."

Actually, they do affect the mileage. Usually for the better, sometimes not. Is it actually a noticeable difference? Probably not, but it is there.

acepedro45

• Bristles
« Reply #14332 on: August 10, 2016, 12:29:09 PM »
RE: Hubcap Foam

I lost all 4 one by one on my 2003 anti-Clownmobile and the aesthetic always bothered me. Awhile back I called a junkyard to price out replacements. They told me $40 apiece! Once I stopped laughing, I thanked them politely and said the car was just fine the way it was.

Last week I saw a used set at a yard sale and refit my car for $20 total. The price was so low I wondered if they had been pried off somebody's poor car by a desperate teen with a screwdriver.

I can't decide if this was Mustachian or not. I got a great deal, yes, but they are a totally superfluous accessory.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14333 on: August 10, 2016, 12:54:05 PM »

I lost all 4 one by one on my 2003 anti-Clownmobile and the aesthetic always bothered me. Awhile back I called a junkyard to price out replacements. They told me $40 apiece! Once I stopped laughing, I thanked them politely and said the car was just fine the way it was.

Last week I saw a used set at a yard sale and refit my car for $20 total. The price was so low I wondered if they had been pried off somebody's poor car by a desperate teen with a screwdriver.

I can't decide if this was Mustachian or not. I got a great deal, yes, but they are a totally superfluous accessory.

20$ is far too high.

Our 2005 Corolla lost a hubcap three years ago . . . so I kept my eye out for an entire year of cycling, and eventually found a replacement one on the side of the road.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14334 on: August 10, 2016, 01:01:42 PM »
Overheard at my husbands work on Friday, DH is friends with the husband, but I had just met the wife that day.  This guy is NOT mustachian, my husband looked up his truck, it retails for 55k so he's nowhere near innocent in this and frankly strikes me as a "as long as I want it it's OK to buy it type of person".

"look honey SHE has a Louis Vuitton, why won't you buy ME one" (talking about me)
Me: I bought it at a yard sale for $7
Her husband:  Honey, I just bought you a new Range Rover, I'm not sure where you think the money comes from
Her: Well you are just going to have to earn more (not possible as he's AD like mine), or get rid of your truck, I told you that's what I wanted for my birthday.
Me:  Or you could go to a yardsale and try to find a cheap one...
Her DH:  But I thought you wanted to go on vacation with them in a few months, we need to save up money if you want to go with them, that's going to be like a thousand dollars!
Me: I'm going yardsaling next weekend if you want to come with me
My husband: aaaaallll righty we are headed out, have to go walk the dogs.  To me in the car:  JESUS CHRIST THEY HAVE 100k in VEHICLES WTF IS WRONG WITH THEM!?!?!?!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14335 on: August 10, 2016, 01:09:26 PM »

"look honey SHE has a Louis Vuitton, why won't you buy ME one" (talking about me)

This is honestly a fear of mine for if (or when) I get married. It's not so much the money aspect (though that is a factor) but the concept that if anyone else has something, then she should get it as well.

Over the 4th I went to a friend's parent's house, they have a house on a beautiful lake. While there I paddleboarded for the first time, and it was fun. The reason I was able to paddleboard is because one of their neighbors wanted one and so two other neighbors went with her to buy them, the first neighbor is the only one that actually uses it. My friend's parents aren't anywhere close to being Mustachians, but they shook their head and said, "They spent $1200 on them."

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14336 on: August 10, 2016, 01:46:22 PM »

This is honestly a fear of mine for if (or when) I get married. It's not so much the money aspect (though that is a factor) but the concept that if anyone else has something, then she should get it as well.

Over the 4th I went to a friend's parent's house, they have a house on a beautiful lake. While there I paddleboarded for the first time, and it was fun. The reason I was able to paddleboard is because one of their neighbors wanted one and so two other neighbors went with her to buy them, the first neighbor is the only one that actually uses it. My friend's parents aren't anywhere close to being Mustachians, but they shook their head and said, "They spent $1200 on them."
Date someone long enough and you can ferret this out ahead of time.

And..OMG. Really.  "Buy one at a yard sale!"  And no response huh?

Oy.

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14337 on: August 10, 2016, 01:46:50 PM »

Don't worry, there are plenty of warning signs long before you get married.  For instance, if anyone needs YOU to pay for something for THEM, then that's a warning.  If I want something, I buy it myself and I don't as my SO to buy it for me. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14338 on: August 10, 2016, 01:57:09 PM »

Don't worry, there are plenty of warning signs long before you get married.  For instance, if anyone needs YOU to pay for something for THEM, then that's a warning.  If I want something, I buy it myself and I don't as my SO to buy it for me.

I agree with you and MM, but I fear that sometimes situations do change. There are some couples I know that when they first met and started dating they both were working, and this continued after marriage, but gradually the women stopped working. This nearly always is a result of having children and wanting to be a SAHM, but this hasn't changed her consumption, actually I feel like in many cases it's been made worse because they are hanging out with other moms during play dates and want to keep up with them.

I have no clue if this is what truly happens, it is just a fear of mine. With marriage, there is much uncertainty and people's personalities do change over time. If you haven't heard Bill Murray's advice, I recommend watching this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23SW1EFroH8

sonjak

• Stubble
« Reply #14339 on: August 10, 2016, 01:57:30 PM »

Okay, this is brilliant.  Thanks so much for sharing!

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #14340 on: August 10, 2016, 03:07:57 PM »

20$ is far too high.

Our 2005 Corolla lost a hubcap three years ago . . . so I kept my eye out for an entire year of cycling, and eventually found a replacement one on the side of the road.

Free is far too high. If you lose one, sell the other three for $20 * 3/4 = $15. Losing a hub cap will net you money!

markstache

• Stubble
« Reply #14341 on: August 10, 2016, 03:12:20 PM »
I got a cheap heavy rope net and spread it out over the sheets.  Under the sheet it feels like you're sleeping under a big comforter, but it traps almost no heat at all.

Every time GuitarStv wakes up: "Oh no! Spideman got me again!"

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14342 on: August 10, 2016, 03:28:38 PM »

You did fine. I once had a small pickup with steelies. Didn't have the plastic centercap. Went to the junkyard and apparently they were made of gold when i thought they were made of black plastic! something like $20 each for less plastic than a plastic coffee cup. I told them to keep them and went on my merry way. Sold the truck later and still didn't have any center caps. I did spring for some new silver spray paint for the wheels. BIG improvement for less than $10.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14343 on: August 10, 2016, 03:31:46 PM »

You better test drive that subject during the dating process!!! I ditched a couple of girlfriends b/c for one reason or another they were not going to be easy people to share a budget with.

kayvent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14344 on: August 10, 2016, 08:05:05 PM »

A close relative started dating a year after her husband died (relative is mid-40's). There was one person she was dating for a month or two, maybe more. One day allegedly he asked her if he could borrow 20$ to buy a pack a smokes, his pay day was five days away. Dumped instantly. Super red flag.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14345 on: August 10, 2016, 08:09:30 PM »
I've a 28yo coworker who I consider a closed friend and I've been trying to get him to up his 401k contribution from the preset 4% for the last few months.

Tos morning I asked just for shits and he seriously told me his mom was "looking through his bills" to see how much he could afford to go up to. By the end of the day, he was discussing buying a new Subaru WRX STi($38k).

He does not live with his parents. He owns a house..

Wow. Just... Wow. The day I let my mother go through ANY of my bills is the day I'm legally incapacitated, in which case she's the 4th in line to be able to see to my affairs, as per my will and inaptitude mandate.

Wteverlovingf.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14346 on: August 11, 2016, 07:28:46 AM »

Date someone long enough and you can ferret this out ahead of time.

And..OMG. Really.  "Buy one at a yard sale!"  And no response huh?

Oy.

You usually can ferret it out ahead of time but you are also correct that there seems to be a big "I had babies so I'm staying home and not working" mentality.  Sometimes, in the case of a low wage earner, it does make sense due to the cost of daycare being SO high.  This is very common in military couples, the frequent moves, and cost of daycare, do make it a bit difficult to keep solid employment so for some it makes sense.  In our case DH will be working for a number of years after I am done (probably in the 3-5 year range).  However, that is because of the cliff vesting of his pension and medical (3 years) and a personal goal he wants to attain (which he doesn't need to do but wants to and would add on another 2 years).  We will already be FI when I call it quits (and in all actuality we already are pretty much FI), but we are relying on that medical coverage in our calculations. 

Yup, no response to the yard sale thing zip, zilch.  I buy those damn things all the time, all the big brands for pennies on the dollar to what they sell for at the store, sometimes I even score brand new ones, still in the box/bag for under 10 bucks.  I flip them on craigslist for a tidy profit so the deals are definitely out there.  I had to try very hard to not be snarky, there is a large possibility of the two guys moving to the same station for the next PCS.  I personally found it entertaining that my husbands brain function switched off after hearing about the 50k range rover.

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14347 on: August 11, 2016, 08:21:30 AM »
I've a 28yo coworker who I consider a closed friend and I've been trying to get him to up his 401k contribution from the preset 4% for the last few months.

Tos morning I asked just for shits and he seriously told me his mom was "looking through his bills" to see how much he could afford to go up to. By the end of the day, he was discussing buying a new Subaru WRX STi($38k).

Wow. Just... Wow. The day I let my mother go through ANY of my bills is the day I'm legally incapacitated, in which case she's the 4th in line to be able to see to my affairs, as per my will and inaptitude mandate.

Wteverlovingf.

I think it depends on the parent. For example, my brother isn't great with money, so he works with our dad on budgeting (Dad being the better financial mind of our parents). If this guy's mother is good with money and he was asking for her help so he didn't get in too far over his head, I see that as commendable.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14348 on: August 11, 2016, 08:56:42 AM »

Wteverlovingf.

I think it depends on the parent. For example, my brother isn't great with money, so he works with our dad on budgeting (Dad being the better financial mind of our parents). If this guy's mother is good with money and he was asking for her help so he didn't get in too far over his head, I see that as commendable.

Ah. Fair. My mom is of the 'remind me of what she thinks I did wrong for years and hold it over my head' persuasion. We have an excellent relationship as long as I keep amunition far away from her. With a different relationship, it might be commendable, but I just have a stomach-squeezing gut instinct of 'omg HIDE IT' when I think of my mom reviewing my finances.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14349 on: August 11, 2016, 09:25:11 AM »

Wteverlovingf.

she apparently advised him he could afford a $38k subaru. does not sound like sound financial advice