Author Topic: Overheard at Work  (Read 13265350 times)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work
« Reply #12900 on: March 30, 2016, 09:58:48 PM »
Wait, you think it is a city law that students dorm?  With the increased risk factors, that can't be true.  Google does not pop this up, any evidence of this?
Possibly to prevent people registering as a student for a visa or grant and never even visiting the place?

Where I went to grad school I had to live withing walking distance (defined as 3mi) of the university church !

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12901 on: March 31, 2016, 04:34:17 AM »
Wait, you think it is a city law that students dorm?  With the increased risk factors, that can't be true.  Google does not pop this up, any evidence of this?
Possibly to prevent people registering as a student for a visa or grant and never even visiting the place?

Where I went to grad school I had to live withing walking distance (defined as 3mi) of the university church !
Doubtful that someone would go through the trouble of college admissions for a visa, because the college is the entity doing the sponsoring. If the student doesn't show up, they will report it to USCIS. There are much easier ways to overstay.

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12902 on: March 31, 2016, 06:43:12 AM »
I am buying a radar detector. That qualifies for this thread, right? Speeding costs more than driving more sedately, and I'm spending money to be able to drive faster.

Just don't use it in Virginia, radar detectors are illegal here.
I think I saw that DC also bans them.
I recently completed a degree and got licensed. There are many paths to this degree, typically taking two years. I got hired last week and in our new-hire orientation we got to talking about school. I paid $12K total for mine, including texts, pre-rec classes, no student loans. Other people mention $40K debts to get their degrees. Huh? We got hired by the same company, to do the same job, for the same salary.
I can see it costing more for some people, I tested out of some classes, and had already done many pre-recs. So I can see maybe $20K to get this degree. But, $40K?
Keep in mind that if they elected to live on campus, that can be paid for with student loans too and often costs as much as, or more than, tuition.
And costs more than living off campus, even if that's not with your parents. In Washington, DC, every university is required to house students for two years. It was $1000/mo to share a 500sqft dorm room with 3 other girls. Junior year, another girl and I shared 500sqft studio apartment one block off campus for $1200 total, ie $400/mo less than we had been paying to get twice as much space per person.
The school will wave this.  All it requires is the parent calling and saying my child is interested in your school (and has gotten in) but she will not be dorming.  Will you wave the requirement or should she look at her other options?  You go up a chain but someone will wave it.
It's not the school's rule. It's a legal requirement from the city. The exception is if the parent is a legal resident of the city, and the student is living at home.
In school we were told it was a zoning requirement. George Washington, Georgetown, and American all have the same rule and same list of exemptions: 2 years on campus if under age 21 unless with parents nearby, married/kids, or religious/disability exemption. AU does things different from the Georges in that they make junior & senior years be the required years, while the Georges have it be freshman and sophomore years.

Note that I said the school is required to house students, not that students are required to sleep in the provided beds. Several girls on my floor got their parents to pay for an apartment in addition to the room & board they were paying the school, rather than live 4 to a dorm room.
Housing students is different than requiring a student to live on campus, I agree.  And that was my point, schools do wave the requirement to live on campus (and pay for the privileged) if called on it by the parent.  That the schools are required to have dorming options is not the same thing at all.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12903 on: March 31, 2016, 07:00:02 AM »
Oh man, I don't even know where to start on this one.  We just had a MASS exodus in the past week in my office.  Now, I pretty much hate this job, but only plan on working 1.5 more years (and could probably quit now but DH is against it because he has 5 more years to secure the pension and medical) so I'm in the "why the hell do I want to deal with new BS, compete in a new environment" phase.  My work place has been AWFUL in the past, and I mean that in the "I probably could have sued them several times over for harassment kind of way".  Out of said "I don't give a fuck, I'm over the edge" I laid out all the cards to a member of our board one evening in late 2014/early 2015, pretty much expecting to be fired.  In a giant surprise, they instead laid off most of the problem children and put in a new management team/CEO and work was better over the past year.   For me at least.

Well, they didn't fire the VP of sales who lives in a different state, I severely dislike the guy but as I'm not in sales, I don't deal with him.  We lost 6 people in the past week (that's just under a third of the company).  Every. single. one. of them cited this guy as the reason they are quitting.  Apparently he was known for calling the younger sales guys names when they weren't on calls (not invited to said calls), he constantly threw people under the bus for his team not making numbers, he was telling his "clique" of sales guys he was friends with to give customers our developers personal cell phone numbers so they can call and complain about features they wanted, and he would set up meetings and demos and 10 minutes before call some of these guys and say "oh I'm going out for beers, going to the shooting range etc" you're going to have to find someone else to lead the call.

My manager had a coming to jesus with our CEO about this guy yesterday as it's clear where the problem lies.  Our CEO just told her "Nah, I don't believe he would have done those things, he's such a cool guy, he taught me how to shoot an AK-47 last time I was down there"....Me, her, and the other guy in our office all just looked at him and went "Are you kidding me!!"  The largest POS in our company is now protected from retribution by our CEO, because he's the "cool kid"

I don't think I"m going to make it the year and a half because guess where the work loads of those 6 people fell...yup, right in my lap.  I just told my manager I want a significant raise if they expect me to deal with this.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #12904 on: March 31, 2016, 07:58:42 AM »
Not MMM related but good one yesterday: idiot co-worker, in response to hearing about flight cancellations due to volcanic activity: "Where is Alaska?"
Followed by "I just recently realized how close to the Antarctic circle we are."

Now geography is only slightly related to our job but there's a reason I will never send clients to this person. Every time she threatens to quit I hope she is serious. But so far not, sadly. Luckily I will be gone within 6 months.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12905 on: March 31, 2016, 08:25:31 AM »
Not MMM related but good one yesterday: idiot co-worker, in response to hearing about flight cancellations due to volcanic activity: "Where is Alaska?"
Followed by "I just recently realized how close to the Antarctic circle we are."

Now geography is only slightly related to our job but there's a reason I will never send clients to this person. Every time she threatens to quit I hope she is serious. But so far not, sadly. Luckily I will be gone within 6 months.

A bit off topic, but I've been in your neck of the woods. I was on a plane that was grounded due to engine trouble and we spent the night in the Yellowknife airport. They woke up some poor Mountie to come out and make sure the plane of American tourists didn't rally together and attack Canada. Or maybe he was just supposed to take pictures with us.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12906 on: March 31, 2016, 08:58:20 AM »
....."Where is Alaska?"
Followed by "I just recently realized how close to the Antarctic circle we are." ......

I made me feel a slight bit better that someone other than your typical US citizen is bad at geography too.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #12907 on: March 31, 2016, 09:08:01 AM »

Doubtful that someone would go through the trouble of college admissions for a visa, because the college is the entity doing the sponsoring. If the student doesn't show up, they will report it to USCIS. There are much easier ways to overstay.

In order to prevent absentee landlords allowing student ghettos to become a blight, I am aware of a few towns that have bylaws along the lines of "no rooming house or room rentals within XXX meters of a higher education facility.

The student ghettos still happen, but at least now there can be the threat of enforcement.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/when-town-and-gown-collide
Yeah, when Georgetown submitted their plan to build more academic buildings, the city's response was "whoa whoa and with this increased capacity, you're going to build at least 600 more dorm rooms, right?" because of the student ghetto problem.
In school we were told it was a zoning requirement. George Washington, Georgetown, and American all have the same rule and same list of exemptions: 2 years on campus if under age 21 unless with parents nearby, married/kids, or religious/disability exemption. AU does things different from the Georges in that they make junior & senior years be the required years, while the Georges have it be freshman and sophomore years.

Note that I said the school is required to house students, not that students are required to sleep in the provided beds. Several girls on my floor got their parents to pay for an apartment in addition to the room & board they were paying the school, rather than live 4 to a dorm room.
Housing students is different than requiring a student to live on campus, I agree.  And that was my point, schools do wave the requirement to live on campus (and pay for the privileged) if called on it by the parent.  That the schools are required to have dorming options is not the same thing at all.
But the kids who didn't live in the dorm still paid for a dorm bed. The school just wasn't sending out armed guards to drag them back on campus every night.

One of the girls assigned to my room went and stayed with her cousin, the ambassador, after finding out that us <French accent> silly Americans expect multiple people to sleep in a single room rather than each getting their own suite of rooms.</French accent> And her mother was scandalized that there were boys and girls on the same floor.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12908 on: March 31, 2016, 11:59:54 AM »
Does she expect to see penguins on the lake?

Ashyukun

• Bristles
« Reply #12909 on: March 31, 2016, 12:01:56 PM »
I feel this way about some of the food labeling.  I saw something at the grocery store the other day that had a gluten free label on it.  I cannot remember what it was but it was something that would never include any ingredient containing gluten.

My personal favorite, and the first I ever noticed a completely ridiculous label like this, was a bag of cotton candy with the words, "A 100% FAT FREE FOOD!" emblazoned on it.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
« Reply #12910 on: March 31, 2016, 12:16:55 PM »

There is zero chance that she knows penguins are only in the south.

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12911 on: March 31, 2016, 12:17:06 PM »
I feel this way about some of the food labeling.  I saw something at the grocery store the other day that had a gluten free label on it.  I cannot remember what it was but it was something that would never include any ingredient containing gluten.

My personal favorite, and the first I ever noticed a completely ridiculous label like this, was a bag of cotton candy with the words, "A 100% FAT FREE FOOD!" emblazoned on it.
Saw cantaloupe labeled as "Gluten Free".

Gin1984

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12912 on: March 31, 2016, 12:27:00 PM »

In order to prevent absentee landlords allowing student ghettos to become a blight, I am aware of a few towns that have bylaws along the lines of "no rooming house or room rentals within XXX meters of a higher education facility.

The student ghettos still happen, but at least now there can be the threat of enforcement.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/when-town-and-gown-collide
Yeah, when Georgetown submitted their plan to build more academic buildings, the city's response was "whoa whoa and with this increased capacity, you're going to build at least 600 more dorm rooms, right?" because of the student ghetto problem.

But the kids who didn't live in the dorm still paid for a dorm bed. The school just wasn't sending out armed guards to drag them back on campus every night.

One of the girls assigned to my room went and stayed with her cousin, the ambassador, after finding out that us <French accent> silly Americans expect multiple people to sleep in a single room rather than each getting their own suite of rooms.</French accent> And her mother was scandalized that there were boys and girls on the same floor.
And what I am saying is that the schools will wave the requirement to pay for the housing/live there.  They might have told you there was a zoning requirement but they can make exceptions and all universities do so. 
My bet is what they are referring to is this lawsuit: http://law.wustl.edu/landuselaw/GW_Case.htm but again, they have be required to have the bed, they will not require a student to live there/pay for it IF the parent contests it.  But if you look at the lawsuit, it still was not that all students MUST live on campus.  I've seen it done all across the country including DC. 

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12913 on: March 31, 2016, 12:38:00 PM »
It's waive. Waive the requirement.

</grammarpolice>

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12914 on: March 31, 2016, 12:40:35 PM »
My manager had a coming to jesus with our CEO about this guy yesterday as it's clear where the problem lies.  Our CEO just told her "Nah, I don't believe he would have done those things, he's such a cool guy, he taught me how to shoot an AK-47 last time I was down there"....Me, her, and the other guy in our office all just looked at him and went "Are you kidding me!!"  The largest POS in our company is now protected from retribution by our CEO, because he's the "cool kid"

That was the moment - right there in that office - the three of you should have announce your resignations, in unison.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12915 on: March 31, 2016, 12:54:21 PM »
Today a co-worker proudly told me that he just bought a 2016 Ford focus. He said that he was offered 16% interest as he and his fiance have no credit. He said he turned this down because they were only offering him $500 for his Jeep. Instead he took their offer of 27% interest if they gave him $1800 for his Jeep. 27% interest. No that's not a typo.

He said they told him he can "probably" refinance to 2% in a few months. He said he got a steal and that the car pays for itself because of the good mpg.

Gaahhhh it was so hard not to punch him.

I have a 2015 Focus. The mileage isn't that great, trust me. High 20s in the city, mid 30s on highways. My Vibe was better :( (but crunched by someone else)

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #12916 on: March 31, 2016, 01:43:00 PM »

True Story

Co-worker:  "Where's your next big trip?"
Me:  "Scotland."
Co-worker:  "Cool.  Are you going to visit New Zealand while you're there?"
Me:  "Pardon?"
Co-worker:  "New Zealand?"
Me:  "I don't think I'll have the time, and it's a little far..."

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12917 on: March 31, 2016, 01:48:46 PM »

True Story

Co-worker:  "Where's your next big trip?"
Me:  "Scotland."
Co-worker:  "Cool.  Are you going to visit New Zealand while you're there?"
Me:  "Pardon?"
Co-worker:  "New Zealand?"
Me:  "I don't think I'll have the time, and it's a little far..."

LOL! I'm guessing they are confusing Scotland with Australia.

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #12918 on: March 31, 2016, 02:34:20 PM »
This is in America right? They're likely confusing New Zealand with New England. Its easy enough to do.

In Canada.   I don't think this a minor slip-of-the-mind thing.   Unless it's possible to a person to confuse everything with everything.  Yeah, she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12919 on: March 31, 2016, 03:05:59 PM »
This is in America right? They're likely confusing New Zealand with New England. Its easy enough to do.

In Canada.   I don't think this a minor slip-of-the-mind thing.   Unless it's possible to a person to confuse everything with everything.  Yeah, she's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

She may not even be the sharpest spoon in the drawer by the sounds of it.

Heck she might be that plastic spoon that people keep from their drawer after getting take-out.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12920 on: March 31, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »
"My mom said it's okay to spend up to 60% of your take home pay on housing, so I went ahead and got the nicer apartment."

(This is from a woman who is 27-years-old for the record.)

runningthroughFIRE

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Bristles
  • As heavy as it needs to be to make you stronger
« Reply #12921 on: March 31, 2016, 04:00:54 PM »
[One of the girls assigned to my room went and stayed with her cousin, the ambassador, after finding out that us <French accent> silly Americans expect multiple people to sleep in a single room rather than each getting their own suite of rooms.</French accent> And her mother was scandalized that there were boys and girls on the same floor.
She'd have a heart attack if her daughter was assigned to the dorm I lived in during my freshman year.  One hallway with girls' rooms on one side and boys' on the other.  Open the door and you're staring at a girls' room (not by design, but funny coincidence it worked out that way).  If the sun was up, chances were good that all the doors were wide open, too.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12922 on: March 31, 2016, 04:23:37 PM »

I don't think I"m going to make it the year and a half because guess where the work loads of those 6 people fell...yup, right in my lap. I just told my manager I want a significant raise if they expect me to deal with this.

I suspect that you might just get one, but it won't be enough for 6 people's workload.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12923 on: March 31, 2016, 06:22:18 PM »

That was the moment - right there in that office - the three of you should have announce your resignations, in unison.

The other two have worked with this guy in a series of companies they kind of go startup to startup with him so they never would.  Me, if I don't get a HUGE raise, I am not going to make it, I may put up with it for a year for an obscene amount of money but even then I'm honestly not sure it's really worth it to me.  They are also dick enough that they probably won't give me said raise until I put in my two weeks, even though they KNOW they can't afford to have me go right now, but they have been well known to cut their noses off so I need to be ready to leave permanently before I do. 

DH and I talked tonight, he's still against me quitting but admits I am freaking miserable again and that it's not going to get any better this time so I'm probably going to stick it out until after our three week vacation in June.  They don't pay out unused PTO days and I have 35 of them so it looks like I'm going to start taking some days off every month and start cramming my 401k.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12924 on: March 31, 2016, 06:32:24 PM »

The other two have worked with this guy in a series of companies they kind of go startup to startup with him so they never would.  Me, if I don't get a HUGE raise, I am not going to make it, I may put up with it for a year for an obscene amount of money but even then I'm honestly not sure it's really worth it to me.  They are also dick enough that they probably won't give me said raise until I put in my two weeks, even though they KNOW they can't afford to have me go right now, but they have been well known to cut their noses off so I need to be ready to leave permanently before I do. 

DH and I talked tonight, he's still against me quitting but admits I am freaking miserable again and that it's not going to get any better this time so I'm probably going to stick it out until after our three week vacation in June.  They don't pay out unused PTO days and I have 35 of them so it looks like I'm going to start taking some days off every month and start cramming my 401k.

Hell, just take 7 weeks off and then quit!

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12925 on: March 31, 2016, 06:49:06 PM »

Someone tried to do that with one week then quit...they told him not to come in the next day, that he didn't need to give notice, just to avoid paying it out so that wouldn't work.  If I said 7 weeks they'd know and just let me go right then, I want them to pay out for some free time lol.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12926 on: March 31, 2016, 06:59:27 PM »

Someone tried to do that with one week then quit...they told him not to come in the next day, that he didn't need to give notice, just to avoid paying it out so that wouldn't work.  If I said 7 weeks they'd know and just let me go right then, I want them to pay out for some free time lol.

Sounds like a company that treats its employees like serfs. It may be advised to look for a company that respects its employees.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12927 on: March 31, 2016, 07:01:51 PM »

Sounds like a company that treats its employees like serfs. It may be advised to look for a company that respects its employees.

Wait. Not paying out owed vacation is legal in the US??? Seriously?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12928 on: March 31, 2016, 07:27:05 PM »

No, it's not.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12929 on: March 31, 2016, 07:43:06 PM »

No, it's not.

Looks like it depends on where you are: https://www.workplacefairness.org/final-pay#3

coolistdude

• Stubble
    • Retirement Tree (Same One I Use):
« Reply #12930 on: March 31, 2016, 08:39:44 PM »

On the plus side, it may help OP never look back. Sometimes it is a good thing for someone to become disillusioned with the workforce. Sorry you are going through this. It sounds like you have lasted far longer than I would have. Nicely done :)

RyanAtTanagra

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12931 on: April 01, 2016, 01:02:22 AM »
Now, I pretty much hate this job, but only plan on working 1.5 more years (and could probably quit now but DH is against it because he has 5 more years to secure the pension and medical)

Sorry, none of my business, but this really bothered me.  So you could quit now, but your husband would rather you be miserable working a job you hate, because he has another 5 years?

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12932 on: April 01, 2016, 04:38:13 AM »
Now, I pretty much hate this job, but only plan on working 1.5 more years (and could probably quit now but DH is against it because he has 5 more years to secure the pension and medical)

Sorry, none of my business, but this really bothered me.  So you could quit now, but your husband would rather you be miserable working a job you hate, because he has another 5 years?

I expect he would have to work EVEN LONGER at the job if she quit early.   So it seems fair to me that he gets some say in this.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12933 on: April 01, 2016, 04:41:51 AM »

On the plus side, it may help OP never look back. Sometimes it is a good thing for someone to become disillusioned with the workforce. Sorry you are going through this. It sounds like you have lasted far longer than I would have. Nicely done :)

If you have FU money lined up, and you should if you are this close to FI, schedule a week off because "the stress" is getting to you.   Work a week or three and repeat.   

The worst they can do is fire you without cause, and that will get you unemployment.   

stylesjl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12934 on: April 01, 2016, 06:42:44 AM »
Got another little bit from my workplace today. I had a co-worker discuss some shopping he doing for watches and he noticed a certain watch that costed $100,000 and wondered incredulously who would pay that much for a watch ("Must be a very nice watch").

I then told him about some other expensive items like a handbag that costs $10,000 and he then told me that another co-worker paid $2000 for a handbag! I was shocked that someone I know could be that wasteful (note this is not the same co-worker I mentioned earlier that was down to her last 3 dollars).

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12935 on: April 01, 2016, 07:38:08 AM »
Got another little bit from my workplace today. I had a co-worker discuss some shopping he doing for watches and he noticed a certain watch that costed $100,000 and wondered incredulously who would pay that much for a watch ("Must be a very nice watch").

I then told him about some other expensive items like a handbag that costs $10,000 and he then told me that another co-worker paid $2000 for a handbag! I was shocked that someone I know could be that wasteful (note this is not the same co-worker I mentioned earlier that was down to her last 3 dollars).

Wow.

The most I've paid for a purse was 180$ (at the exchange rate of the time), and it was high-quality thick leather that was big enough to slide a macbook in (I didn't want to carry purse + briefcase + book + lunch - everything can fit in one bag, please). I've worn it, so far, every day for 8 years, and, with a 10$ repair bill recently, it should last at least that long again... and it still looks nice enough that 3 of my colleagues have stopped me to ask where I got my purse, and was it recently, because they're looking for something nice and like mine.

I can understand paying more for quality (hell, I certainly did, and no 30$ cheap faux-leather purse would still be looking good after 8 years of non-careful wear and tear), but 2k on a bag is not quality, it's idiocy.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12936 on: April 01, 2016, 09:05:32 AM »

Wow.

The most I've paid for a purse was 180$ (at the exchange rate of the time), and it was high-quality thick leather that was big enough to slide a macbook in (I didn't want to carry purse + briefcase + book + lunch - everything can fit in one bag, please). I've worn it, so far, every day for 8 years, and, with a 10$ repair bill recently, it should last at least that long again... and it still looks nice enough that 3 of my colleagues have stopped me to ask where I got my purse, and was it recently, because they're looking for something nice and like mine.

I can understand paying more for quality (hell, I certainly did, and no 30$ cheap faux-leather purse would still be looking good after 8 years of non-careful wear and tear), but 2k on a bag is not quality, it's idiocy.

Kitsune, where did you get that kind of bag? I would love to have one of my own.

MishMash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12937 on: April 01, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »

I expect he would have to work EVEN LONGER at the job if she quit early.   So it seems fair to me that he gets some say in this.

We are on PTO days but we don't accrue, they are 'gifted' at the beginning of the year and the employment contract states no pay out for unused days.  Not sure if it's legal but people that have contested it in the past have failed.

DH has expensive hobbies, and wants to maintain them in retirement (or get more), so we are beyond FI by most peoples standards on here but not when you take into a account the cost and maintenance of the toys he wants in retirement.  He doesn't have any now because he realizes he's not around to make using them feasible but he's dead set on them in retirement and I can respect that.  I totally agree he gets a say, we built this idea together, and his employment (military) is the one that is providing a huge chunk of it in regards to pension and medical. 

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12938 on: April 01, 2016, 10:59:06 AM »

Wow.

Kitsune, where did you get that kind of bag? I would love to have one of my own.

On a trip to Italy, so you're not gonna find them in stores!

But the brand is I Medici, and I just found the exact bag I have on their website: http://www.imedicibags.com/handbags/i-medici-borsa-leather-shopping-large-tote-bag.html (and the price has seriously gone up in 8 years...)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12939 on: April 01, 2016, 11:06:52 AM »

Wow.

But the brand is I Medici, and I just found the exact bag I have on their website: http://www.imedicibags.com/handbags/i-medici-borsa-leather-shopping-large-tote-bag.html (and the price has seriously gone up in 8 years...)

Definitely my kind of bag! But ooof, that price...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12940 on: April 01, 2016, 11:11:20 AM »

Wow.

For that Italian bag, it looks like it was a good 'investment,' if you intend on selling it. You've used it for 8 years and might be able to get more than you paid for it. I used to know someone with an eye for leather purses who will go to Italy for vacation and buy a bunch of purses and bring them back and sell them. I believe their sales pay for her trip to Italy and perhaps she makes a little on the side as well. This was back in the 90s, don't know if such arbitrage opportunities exist, or if the margins are enough to justify the risk.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12941 on: April 01, 2016, 11:19:35 AM »

Wow.

Well, at the time, it was almost 100$ less, and I still considered it an unreasonable splurge, but I don't buy "souvenir items" on trips: I save my money for one useful item that'll remind me of the trip, usually something that's cheaper where I'm going than at home (woven cotton scarves in Mexico, leather and pearls in Italy, foods or cooking gear specific to the region, etc). So: that was my justification  at the time.

But it's working out to under 25$/year to meet all my bag needs, looks great, and survives everything (drop it in mud? Rinse let dry, it's fine). Honestly: if it gave out in 5 years, I'd replace it with another of the same, rather than try to find a leather bag under 100$ that might last that long (hahahaha the quality of clothes these days is saaaaaad).

Erma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12942 on: April 01, 2016, 02:39:04 PM »
My coworker told today that she saw a lamp that she would like to have. It costs about a 1000 CHF. I told her that she should at least try to find a coupon for the shop where she wants to buy it. It seemed like she never thought about things like that.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12943 on: April 01, 2016, 04:05:40 PM »

I worked with a lady who spent $3750 on a bag I know the exact price because it went on my credit card and she withdrew cash so her husband wouldn't know as they were saving for a house. (I didnt know thew hiding it from her husband scenario when I agreed to put it on my card.... she came and told me she had the cash to buy it but wanted to put it on a credit card for some kind of benefit that made no sense to me at the time, but as I never buy things this expensive I just kinda went along with it, so she gave me cash we went on break to buy bag, and then about a month later I went to her place for dinner and her husband mentioned how they were trying to save money!) I assume she had withdrawn the money over a few days and not all at once, I am not really too sure

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12944 on: April 01, 2016, 05:33:57 PM »
For that Italian bag, it looks like it was a good 'investment,' if you intend on selling it. You've used it for 8 years and might be able to get more than you paid for it. I used to know someone with an eye for leather purses who will go to Italy for vacation and buy a bunch of purses and bring them back and sell them. I believe their sales pay for her trip to Italy and perhaps she makes a little on the side as well. This was back in the 90s, don't know if such arbitrage opportunities exist, or if the margins are enough to justify the risk.

Interesting, never thought of it that way.

Well, at the time, it was almost 100$ less, and I still considered it an unreasonable splurge, but I don't buy "souvenir items" on trips: I save my money for one useful item that'll remind me of the trip, usually something that's cheaper where I'm going than at home (woven cotton scarves in Mexico, leather and pearls in Italy, foods or cooking gear specific to the region, etc). So: that was my justification  at the time.

But it's working out to under 25$/year to meet all my bag needs, looks great, and survives everything (drop it in mud? Rinse let dry, it's fine). Honestly: if it gave out in 5 years, I'd replace it with another of the same, rather than try to find a leather bag under 100$ that might last that long (hahahaha the quality of clothes these days is saaaaaad).

I wonder how well leather would last in a hot, sunny, humid climate... Time to research!

EllieStan

• Stubble
« Reply #12945 on: April 01, 2016, 05:57:40 PM »
Today a co-worker proudly told me that he just bought a 2016 Ford focus. He said that he was offered 16% interest as he and his fiance have no credit. He said he turned this down because they were only offering him $500 for his Jeep. Instead he took their offer of 27% interest if they gave him $1800 for his Jeep. 27% interest. No that's not a typo.

He said they told him he can "probably" refinance to 2% in a few months. He said he got a steal and that the car pays for itself because of the good mpg.

27% ?! I think I would have stared at him like

for 10 minutes straight. Can't understand these people.

KodeBlue

• Stubble
« Reply #12946 on: April 02, 2016, 08:02:56 PM »

Where is he planning to drive to, the moon?
Working in a car dealership must be blast, laughing at stupid crap these folks fall for.
Sam: "Hey Morti, I'm gonna tell the next guy that comes in that I'll give him $1800 on his trade in if he bites on the 27% intrest."
Morti: "No one's falling for that one."
Sam: "Just watch!"

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12947 on: April 02, 2016, 11:22:30 PM »
I'd totally pay a much higher interest rate to get more cash back.

Of course, I'd make sure there were no prepayment penalties, or guaranteed minimum interest paid, and then pay it all off right away, to not actually pay that much interest.  ;)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

New Mom and Dad

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12948 on: April 04, 2016, 06:48:21 AM »
Today I overheard at work, a guy talking about his new truck. This guy is 22 years old and makes roughly $27k-$30k per year. He was already making payments on a chevy pick up. He traded it in for a 2011 Toyota Tundra 4 door, lifted, brush guard, fancypants wheels, and giant mud tires.

Me and this fellow had spoken a few times about finance and he seemed to be on the right track. Until this purchase. His wife also has a new car and they just bought a house a few months ago.

The Consumer Sukka side has pulled him in beyond my reach!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12949 on: April 04, 2016, 01:38:26 PM »
In my business I deal with pregnant women - some of the ridiculous amounts of money that are spent on prams (frequently $1,500 +), cots, change tables, cord blood banking, pregnancy photo shoots, birth photo shoots, 1 month photo shoots (etc), swingy things to pacify their screaming progeny, baby baths, monitors that let you hear, see and monitor breathing... it makes my head spin. Usually coming from women with massive rocks on their fingers, fake tans-tits-eyelashes-hair extensions, who berate their partner for not doing enough to help them, then three sentences later screech at them for not earning enough to buy them the latest SUV to park in the driveway of their ridiculous McMansion. One woman recently told me (proudly) that all the bits and pieces had cost them over $10,000 (excluding medical expenses) - and then went on to boast that it included nail clippers and a nappy pail, but NOT the photo shoots. STFU!

If my brain has fritzed so much that I make the mistake of mentioning our refurbished cot, borrowed pram, bathing the kids in the kitchen sink, changing their nappy on a towel on the floor/bed/couch lack of professional photo shoots etc I get that slack jawed gape in response, followed by pity.... f-u-c-k!!
This made me LOL.  Most of that stuff is so ridiculous.  But I will admit to the baby bath - when they can't hold their head up, it's way easier. 

And as far as changing diapers on the floor - well that would have worked with kid #1, but for #2 we were in our early-mid-40's.  And oh my aching back...We changed them in a little changing box we put on top of our dresser.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!