Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981387 times)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #450 on: December 11, 2015, 09:44:39 AM »
Yesterday I heard a coworker talk about how a relative of hers realized if they changed their phone plan to one with less data (maybe it was no data) they would save enough to retire three years earlier. I jumped into the conversation and got some good info from her because my phone plan is one thing I have left that could certainly be lowered to a more reasonable rate.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #451 on: December 11, 2015, 08:45:29 PM »
One of my coworkers mentioned that she used to buy a can of La Croix from the vending machine every day, but then she realized she could get a twelve pack of the Kroger brand, bring it from home, and save boatloads.

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #452 on: December 16, 2015, 07:37:49 AM »
While my husband's colleagues were over for dinner on Sunday, we talked about their upcoming move. They mentioned that their first priority was that their apartment was within biking distance of work and their daughters daycare (which is no easy feat as the daycare/preschools are a bit overwhelmed and you don't always get your first choice). Considering that their new area also has good public transport, they won't need a car.

Also, they are upgrading to a one bedroom for their current studio apartment.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #453 on: December 16, 2015, 05:19:16 PM »
you don't always get your first choice

I can understand if a place is full, but I think it's insane how competitive daycare has become. I read that in NYC, if applying for an "elite" place, it is advised that a couple should apply to at least 6 and write kiss-ass letters to their top choices.

meg_shannon

• Stubble
« Reply #454 on: December 17, 2015, 02:00:26 AM »

I can understand if a place is full, but I think it's insane how competitive daycare has become. I read that in NYC, if applying for an "elite" place, it is advised that a couple should apply to at least 6 and write kiss-ass letters to their top choices.

It makes sense, especially in high density areas with expensive real estate. Daycares/preschools have to be full, or nearly full, to stay solvent and pay the teachers/carers. Establishments with a good reputations and reasonable cost (the sweet spot, whatever that is for the region) are going to have incredible wait lists.

American public schools are pretty unique that you can just sign your kid up and they start right away. In Germany, at least the town I'm in, it can take a while for a slot to open up if you don't plan ahead (even for elementary age kids). I think it's easier for older kids because the teacher-student ratios are more flexible. Still, many professional parents opt for private school to avoid these hassles.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #455 on: December 17, 2015, 08:15:04 AM »
One coworker just brought in a ham bone for another coworker to take home and make soup! And these are both ~28 year old guys.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #456 on: December 17, 2015, 10:14:28 AM »
One coworker just brought in a ham bone for another coworker to take home and make soup! And these are both ~28 year old guys.

http://youtu.be/Sr2PlqXw03Y

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #457 on: December 17, 2015, 01:28:48 PM »
One of my co-workers decided as a holiday gift to the office he would buy a mini-fridge and microwave for everyone to share.

I'm not sure if it will work out as anti-anti-mustachian for the co-worker, but at the least he took one for the mustachian team, as it were. My office moved last year and threw away the old broken fridge and microwave. But we never got a new one in the new office (I hinted a few times, but the boss never decided to do it). No fridge/micro makes it much harder to bring leftovers from home to have for lunch, and people are more likely to buy individual cold drinks instead of bulk purchasing something from the grocery store, etc. In my case I even wasted some money on instant chemical cold packs when I had an injury that needed icing and there was no freezer to put a reusable cold pack in.

Now I just have to actually get myself back into the habit of packing lunches...

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #458 on: December 17, 2015, 01:54:28 PM »
One of my co-workers decided as a holiday gift to the office he would buy a mini-fridge and microwave for everyone to share.

A buddy of mine works at a small office that didn't have a fridge, the owner wouldn't get around to buying one, so he found one of the side of the street and brought it in. It works, though likely is horribly energy efficient. All of a sudden the busy owner that was just too swamped to think of getting a fridge managed to find an energy efficient one and told him to get rid of the fridge. The timing was just uncanny.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #459 on: December 17, 2015, 03:16:32 PM »

I can understand if a place is full, but I think it's insane how competitive daycare has become.

Some friends in Boston told me that you essentially have to apply to every daycare you can find, and just take whatever one has an open spot. There's very little excess capacity.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #460 on: December 17, 2015, 04:24:47 PM »
Please don't insult the dollar (or pound) stores. The Family Dollar, Dollar General, and Dollar Tree stores in my area are cleaner and have better service than Wal-Mart.

Wow, you must either have one incredibly nasty Walmart, or some real outliers in the dollar store category? We spend part of our winters in NW FL. in an area where the Dollar General store is only very slightly cleaner than a shit splattered cattle barn, and the clientele look like extras from the original Star Wars café scene. Our Dollar General store near our home in the Northeast is so F'ed up that I have had conversations with corporate about countless issues. Problems like their crack head management and employees blocking the sidewalks and entrance while smoking, garbage blowing all over the property, a retention pond on the property that's typically full of floating garbage and a few shopping carts, isles jammed with product not put away, empty shelves, and management standing around like retarded cows while 15-20 customers stand and wait for one lone cashier to check them out. I seriously believe that Dollar General is nothing but a blight inflicted upon poor and rural America. I don't think they could run a more F-ed up operation if they tried.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2015, 07:07:12 PM by paddedhat »

jorjor

• Bristles
« Reply #461 on: December 17, 2015, 06:04:42 PM »

http://youtu.be/Sr2PlqXw03Y

I prefer hot ham water, myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdmySY9Qiqo

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #462 on: December 17, 2015, 07:55:31 PM »
Please don't insult the dollar (or pound) stores. The Family Dollar, Dollar General, and Dollar Tree stores in my area are cleaner and have better service than Wal-Mart.

Wow, you must either have one incredibly nasty Walmart, or some real outliers in the dollar store category? We spend part of our winters in NW FL. in an area where the Dollar General store is only very slightly cleaner than a shit splattered cattle barn, and the clientele look like extras from the original Star Wars café scene. Our Dollar General store near our home in the Northeast is so F'ed up that I have had conversations with corporate about countless issues. Problems like their crack head management and employees blocking the sidewalks and entrance while smoking, garbage blowing all over the property, a retention pond on the property that's typically full of floating garbage and a few shopping carts, isles jammed with product not put away, empty shelves, and management standing around like retarded cows while 15-20 customers stand and wait for one lone cashier to check them out. I seriously believe that Dollar General is nothing but a blight inflicted upon poor and rural America. I don't think they could run a more F-ed up operation if they tried.

You must have had a real dud. I've been in literally hundreds of Dollar General stores all over the southeast, as recently as earlier this week, and I've never seen anything like that. Generally,they're quite clean, though admittedly the clientele can be interesting.

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #463 on: December 17, 2015, 08:38:51 PM »

It makes sense, especially in high density areas with expensive real estate. Daycares/preschools have to be full, or nearly full, to stay solvent and pay the teachers/carers. Establishments with a good reputations and reasonable cost (the sweet spot, whatever that is for the region) are going to have incredible wait lists.

American public schools are pretty unique that you can just sign your kid up and they start right away. In Germany, at least the town I'm in, it can take a while for a slot to open up if you don't plan ahead (even for elementary age kids). I think it's easier for older kids because the teacher-student ratios are more flexible. Still, many professional parents opt for private school to avoid these hassles.

The Mennonite run daycare I looked at in NYC had a waiting list for infants of a year and a half. You had to get on the waitlist before conception. The other place I looked at had a 6 month minimum wait. Most people I know opted for sharing a nanny, which is similar in cost and much more flexible.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #464 on: December 21, 2015, 11:07:04 AM »
I mentioned to my salesmen that I was thinking of getting a new phone as mine is a few years old and has some issues. Nothing major, but as 80% of its usage is for business, I don't mind spending the money for a new phone. My salesmen pointed out that his phone is 6 years old. I had to smile at that.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #465 on: December 21, 2015, 11:16:27 AM »
Several people at work talk about being on "the Dave Ramsey Plan."
I guess it's a good thing that they are budget conscious, but I still feel like their lives are focused around consumerist spending instead of happiness.
One step at a time I suppose.

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #466 on: December 22, 2015, 07:44:50 AM »
I mentioned to my salesmen that I was thinking of getting a new phone as mine is a few years old and has some issues. Nothing major, but as 80% of its usage is for business, I don't mind spending the money for a new phone. My salesmen pointed out that his phone is 6 years old. I had to smile at that.

One of my coworkers had the same phone for 8-9 years up until about 3 years ago.  He was hoping to make it to a decade on the same device, but after he missed an email that asked to reschedule a sales call (he was the salesperson) he changed his mind.  Similar to your situation, I have a nice phone because it makes work travel a lot more productive.

dude

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #467 on: December 22, 2015, 08:08:40 AM »

This is slightly ambiguous. Are they talking about First Class seats vs. Economy seats? Or are they talking about Delta vs. Spirit Air? Because I have saved $150 on a flight before by flying Spirit. I will not be doing that again.

Sorry for the ambiguity. I meant a budget airline. I am not from N. America and I have no idea who Delta or Spirit Air is.

Delta is a major US airline, and IMHO it is the nicest--that being said, the prices really aren't any different than the other major airlines. For that matter, the flights are really about the same as well--the "other major airlines" in this scenario being United and American.

Spirit Airlines is a budget airline. Actually, that is not fair to airlines. Spirit Airlines is the Dollar Store of the skies. Or maybe the portable-toilet-of the skies. I will never fly Spirit Air again, and it has even scared me into staying away from the other budget airlines. Just not worth it.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!  A friend recently flew Spirit and had the same opinion.  It was apparently a HORRIBLE experience!  Sometimes in life, you do get what you pay for!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #468 on: December 22, 2015, 09:39:19 AM »
. Most people I know opted for sharing a nanny, which is similar in cost and much more flexible.

I wish I knew where to look/go to find quality nannies. I think at this point the wife and I would rather pay a little extra for good care over the poorly run daycares in our area.

Ceridwen

• Stubble
« Reply #469 on: December 22, 2015, 10:06:26 AM »
Had some good chats with a colleague while we were travelling together.  30ish year old woman.  Some highlights:

- Secretly planning on taking a sabbatical this summer to travel across Eastern Europe with her boyfriend.  One last "hurrah" before they start trying for kids.  Her brother is going to oversee the rental of their apartment as an Airbnb.  They've been saving for years to pull this off.

- Planning on staying in said (downtown) apartment when they have kids for as long as possible.  She has nightmare stories about friends with kids who commute horrible distances and wants no part of it.

- 99% of her Christmas gifts will be homemade, and they sound lovely (especially the chutneys!).

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #470 on: December 22, 2015, 10:30:27 AM »

One of my coworkers had the same phone for 8-9 years up until about 3 years ago.  He was hoping to make it to a decade on the same device, but after he missed an email that asked to reschedule a sales call (he was the salesperson) he changed his mind.  Similar to your situation, I have a nice phone because it makes work travel a lot more productive.

Any recommendations? I'm an Android fan, though may consider an Iphone because Facetime is becoming a valuable tool for my salesmen. I am going to start researching phones, I currently have a Nexus 5 that's about 2 years old.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #471 on: December 22, 2015, 01:19:02 PM »
Any recommendations? I'm an Android fan, though may consider an Iphone because Facetime is becoming a valuable tool for my salesmen. I am going to start researching phones, I currently have a Nexus 5 that's about 2 years old.
Google Hangouts does the same thing as facetime.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #472 on: December 22, 2015, 01:25:02 PM »

Yes, but most people refuse to use them.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #473 on: December 22, 2015, 01:49:06 PM »

Yes, but most people refuse to use them.
I have had issues with google hangouts not working or sending texts sometimes, so I made my husband restore the prior texting app on my google phone

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #474 on: January 06, 2016, 02:41:05 AM »
I have one!

I work in a school in China and everyone has two year contracts. Most people stay for two or for years then move on. When I found out that one guy was leaving, I asked what his plans were. The usual answers are go home or go to another foreign country to teach. His answer? Retire! Fuck yeah!

He's 39 and has two houses back home, will live in one and live off the rental of the other plus his investments. Maybe pick up some part time cushty work if he feels like it.

I was super excited, I've read all about early retirees but never actually met one, and most people at my work are clueless with money, great to know there's another secret saver around.

steviesterno

• Bristles
« Reply #475 on: January 06, 2016, 05:29:21 AM »
I had 2 students who have been asking me about financial stuff come up and show me how they are saving to start a Vanguard account! one showed me an app that projected rates of return and compound over years. when I put in more realistic numbers (she was at 1% a year) you could see her light up.

they are so excited about it they may start a school Investment Club to get others involved. that's pretty exciting!

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #476 on: January 06, 2016, 06:16:53 AM »
I overheard a group of CWs discussing the recent holiday. Two of them have kids, two don't. The two that have kids were talking about how expensive the holiday was and how long it will take them to pay it off. The ones without kids chimed in with how their families did maybe one small gift per person and looking back as adults how they wished their parents hadn't spent so much money on them as kids.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #477 on: January 07, 2016, 09:13:22 AM »

This is slightly ambiguous. Are they talking about First Class seats vs. Economy seats? Or are they talking about Delta vs. Spirit Air? Because I have saved $150 on a flight before by flying Spirit. I will not be doing that again.

Sorry for the ambiguity. I meant a budget airline. I am not from N. America and I have no idea who Delta or Spirit Air is.

Delta is a major US airline, and IMHO it is the nicest--that being said, the prices really aren't any different than the other major airlines. For that matter, the flights are really about the same as well--the "other major airlines" in this scenario being United and American.

Spirit Airlines is a budget airline. Actually, that is not fair to airlines. Spirit Airlines is the Dollar Store of the skies. Or maybe the portable-toilet-of the skies. I will never fly Spirit Air again, and it has even scared me into staying away from the other budget airlines. Just not worth it.

HAHAHAHAHA!!!  A friend recently flew Spirit and had the same opinion.  It was apparently a HORRIBLE experience!  Sometimes in life, you do get what you pay for!

Spirit is horrible.  I am a normal-large sized man (6'1", 230lbs), with what appears to be a normal length femur, and I could not fit in the seat.  The distance between my seat and the seat in front of me was not long enough to accommodate my leg.  I had to spent the 2.5 hour flight (twice) with my knee uncomfortably jammed against the seat and partially sticking into the aisle.  Excess leg room is a luxury, but it should be large enough to actually accommodate my leg imo.  I will never fly spirit again.

StockBeard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #478 on: January 07, 2016, 07:27:02 PM »
Spirit is horrible.  I am a normal-large sized man (6'1", 230lbs), with what appears to be a normal length femur, and I could not fit in the seat.
This sucks, but keep in mind that "comfort in economy seats on planes" is probably the only thing in life that short people have over you.

For everything else, it's better for you to be tall. Here, you can probably even afford 1st class seats with all that additional money you make compared to me ;) : http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/05/the-financial-perks-of-being-tall/393518/

(just kidding though, it sucks especially if this was a long flight)

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #479 on: January 08, 2016, 11:59:28 AM »
This sucks, but keep in mind that "comfort in economy seats on planes" is probably the only thing in life that short people have over you.

For everything else, it's better for you to be tall.

You've clearly never needed to purchase trousers with a 38" inseam.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #480 on: January 08, 2016, 01:57:18 PM »

For everything else, it's better for you to be tall.

You've clearly never needed to purchase trousers with a 38" inseam.
ha ha ha!

My college boyfriend wore a 34W-38Inseam.  They were hard to find.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #481 on: January 08, 2016, 07:29:19 PM »
36W x 36L isn't too bad. 38L would be a pain. But the worst for me was 28W x 34L. I just wore shorts for a couple of years.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #482 on: January 08, 2016, 09:41:37 PM »
But the worst for me was 28W x 34L. I just wore shorts for a couple of years.
Couldn't you just eat more chocolate ?

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #483 on: January 08, 2016, 10:39:15 PM »
5,000 calories a day was just enough to keep me steady. I could eat all the chocolate I wanted, and I still didn't gain weight!

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #484 on: January 09, 2016, 03:21:08 AM »
5,000 calories a day was just enough to keep me steady. I could eat all the chocolate I wanted, and I still didn't gain weight!
I assume you are now in a federal witness protection program,  hiding from the nation's women?

Prairie Gal

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #485 on: January 10, 2016, 11:29:19 AM »
Co-worker (used to be the boss, but got bought out by two younger guys) says to me one day "It's not how much you make, it's how much you spend." Oh hell yah! I told him how very few people actually get that. He still carries an old flip phone and doesn't know how to text. My kind of guy.

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #486 on: January 16, 2016, 07:38:11 PM »
Went to a work sponsored 401K seminar today held by our 401K admin company (Fidelity). Really encouraging presentation - good advice on asset allocation and long term stock holding. They even had budget worksheets where the recommended savings rate was 20% of income!

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #487 on: January 19, 2016, 11:16:50 AM »
I just quit my job in order to do something else.

My previous manager (bosses boss) in our conversation basically said "good for you, it takes courage to do that" and had an incredibly insightful understanding into why it's important to not become bored/complacent with your life, even if you have great job security.

Then sent me this video about a guy who quit his job and bicycled 7000 miles, because he realized how short life is and how wasting it being bored and "checked out" is super interested in avoiding that.

The previous manager more or less paraphrased that in explaining why he thought it was the right thing for me to do (to leave his team). I thought this was mind blowingly insightful and understanding. Makes me (almost) wish I had stuck around ;)

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #488 on: January 20, 2016, 10:00:48 AM »
I just quit my job in order to do something else.

My previous manager (bosses boss) in our conversation basically said "good for you, it takes courage to do that" and had an incredibly insightful understanding into why it's important to not become bored/complacent with your life, even if you have great job security.

Then sent me this video about a guy who quit his job and bicycled 7000 miles, because he realized how short life is and how wasting it being bored and "checked out" is super interested in avoiding that.

The previous manager more or less paraphrased that in explaining why he thought it was the right thing for me to do (to leave his team). I thought this was mind blowingly insightful and understanding. Makes me (almost) wish I had stuck around ;)

Wow, awesome video.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #489 on: January 26, 2016, 08:56:15 AM »
I overheard someone talking about a 6-month emergency fund during our open enrollment meeting today.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #490 on: January 26, 2016, 01:24:51 PM »
Ran into a random lady on the elevator whose coworker was telling her about his $100K car he just bought and $2300 driving course. Her mind was blown that someone would spend that much money on a car that pricy.

"I just want a car that gets me from point A to B."

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #491 on: January 26, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
I have a co-worker whose father made her husband read "The Wealthy Barber" after he proposed to her. Father wanted to make sure the future husband had some sense when it came to money. They are within a few years of retirement now...

That being said, I had some trouble coming up with a good one for this thread. I have a few good stories about anti-mustachianisms...

awesome!

FausseBourgeoise

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #492 on: January 26, 2016, 08:56:37 PM »
Coworker: I'm gonna go get my sandwiches from the fridge. I'm not paying for that expensive crap downstairs anymore. I'm tired of it.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #493 on: January 30, 2016, 05:50:24 AM »
I just started a new job, and most people there pack lunches, which is really nice!

Also, I mentioned to a young kid (22) that I'm a bit obsessed with personal finance, getting out of debt, investing, etc., and that if you get me started on those subjects I can go on and on.  Well he thought that was cool and plans to pick my brain!  Good for him being so young!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #494 on: February 04, 2016, 08:21:18 AM »
Not work-related, but the husband of a friend of mine who I thought was a little slow the first dozen times I met him posted last night that he finished reading "The Millionaire Next Door," and it has opened his eyes towards finances. I'm glad to hear this.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #495 on: February 11, 2016, 08:56:47 PM »
The first officer I'm flying with is nearing his one year anniversary with our company, which is when employees begin to receive 401k matching, so I mentioned he should make sure he has it set up so he doesn't miss out on free money. He said he's already contributing 20%. Whoa! Never heard that from a first year first officer.

He has also mentioned that he doesn't really have a permanent home, but is instead couch surfing with various friends and relatives, and hopes to do it for another year to get his student loans paid off.
That's some serious badassity considering first year pay is typically low $30k range and flying lessons aren't cheap.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #496 on: February 12, 2016, 09:39:43 AM »
Went to Home depot first and they told me to get a plumber in!!! I think I just got lucky in Lowes..

Its always hit or miss at HD and Lowes. Same at the auto parts stores too. A portion of the clerks know something. I always hope to get one of them.

We used to have an old Mom 'n Pop auto parts store. Those guys had been selling auto parts for 30 years+. You needed a fuel pump for your '62 Studebaker? He knew it on sight and might even have one in stock. ;) Unfortunately cheap won out over good and they went out of business and the discount stores took over. Those guys scattered to the winds.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #497 on: February 12, 2016, 01:10:57 PM »
I was chatting with a coworker about the 401K.  I asked if she was going to increase her contribution and she said no, she already maxes it.  She is, however, very excited that she can increase her contribution when she turns 50 later this year and bummed that she has to wait until her birthday.

Based on this conversation and a few others, along with her husband's 15 year old car, I'm pretty sure her household has mine beat on the frugality side of things.  She and her husband can retire in their early 50s, though I can't tell if they will or if they'll keep at it just because they enjoy working.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #498 on: February 17, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »
Campus story here. My lab partner is a college senior, early 20s. I asked if he knew what he wanted to do. "Yes. Aspire to live as simply as possible." 

Ah!  No wonder we get along.  Lead to great conversation about the real world outside academia. Breath of fresh air.

Later I said I was hoping to grocery shop on my day off and he talked about knowing he'd be really busy for a few weeks so he stocked up and is living off PBJ... But he splurged and got the healthy kinds.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #499 on: February 17, 2016, 05:26:14 PM »
Coworker told me today that she's finally glad to have a job that she earns enough to pay all her bills.

She makes $60,000 per year.

Holy sweet jesus I live on a fourth of that.

This is on the wrong thread.