Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981435 times)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #400 on: September 01, 2015, 01:38:01 PM »
I bought my current house out of foreclosure. It had been empty for 18+ months .
The mixer taps in both bathroom showers had seized shut. Instead of calling a plumber I took the fascia off and went to Lowes and talked to them how to do it (with a little research on youtube too). Bought new mixer values and a special removal tool and set to it. Took me about 3 hours (they were jammed in and seized good) but I got it done. Cost me about $30 total. I’m sure a plumber would have been far quicker and more efficient and probably wouldn’t have slashed his knuckles open on the sharp tile edges but where’s the fun in that??? 
I figured it wasn;t working anyway so what was the worse case scenario?? (I did get a bit wet with the tests as well….

Saved a small fortune, learnt about my house and got it done myself. It’s all good.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #401 on: September 01, 2015, 01:40:51 PM »
and went to Lowes and talked to them how to do it

I'm shocked they knew how to!  Last time we were at Lowes, just to get a lock rekeyed, we had to explain to the guy manning the keying center how to do it!

(Good for you though!)

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #402 on: September 01, 2015, 02:03:29 PM »

I'm shocked they knew how to!  Last time we were at Lowes, just to get a lock rekeyed, we had to explain to the guy manning the keying center how to do it!

(Good for you though!)

Went to Home depot first and they told me to get a plumber in!!! I think I just got lucky in Lowes..

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #403 on: September 01, 2015, 02:11:05 PM »

(Good for you though!)

Went to Home depot first and they told me to get a plumber in!!! I think I just got lucky in Lowes..

I've got a leaky faucet and suspect the cartridge is leaking... Replacement runs over $50 online but I've also heard they will send you one free sometimes if you complain.  Don't look forward to opening this one up since the potential for leaking down my wall

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #404 on: September 01, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »

(Good for you though!)

I've got a leaky faucet and suspect the cartridge is leaking... Replacement runs over $50 online but I've also heard they will send you one free sometimes if you complain.  Don't look forward to opening this one up since the potential for leaking down my wall

If you are noticing the leak down then how much aren;t you noticing inside the wall? you can take the tap and backing plate off quite easily and have a look.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #405 on: September 01, 2015, 03:55:10 PM »
but I do remember having to buy a $25 (or something similar) special tool to remove the bad one and install the good one. 
Didn't know about the special tool until I read the instructions that came with the part I was putting back in......

So I used vise grips to grab the cartridge, a block of wood as a lever and hit it the other end with a wrench - but I am a rocket scientist !

Spawnstache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #406 on: September 02, 2015, 04:17:33 AM »
Was your friend Swedish by any chance?

No, he was an ex US Army Ranger who spent a lot of time living in Alaska.

I wish I had some Swedish friends to help me get the pronunciation of that version right... I might be able to get close with the German one thanks to some Dutch relatives though.

Doing my best with Swedish pronounciation:
"Debt fins in get door licked vader, debt fins bar adore leg ack ladder"

RidinTheAsama

• Stubble
« Reply #407 on: September 02, 2015, 09:58:13 AM »
^ Thanks!

Chris22

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #408 on: September 02, 2015, 10:11:30 AM »
but I do remember having to buy a $25 (or something similar) special tool to remove the bad one and install the good one. 
Didn't know about the special tool until I read the instructions that came with the part I was putting back in......

So I used vise grips to grab the cartridge, a block of wood as a lever and hit it the other end with a wrench - but I am a rocket scientist !

I remember not being able to get the cartridge OUT without the tool, but that was early on in my homeowner career, would likely be a better jury-rigger today ;)

jda1984

• Stubble
« Reply #409 on: September 03, 2015, 02:26:43 PM »

If it is a major brand (Delta, Moen, etc.) they likely have a lifetime warranty.  You will need the model number and when you purchased it (I'm not sure, but I don't know if it is transferable) and call the warranty number.  I did it just recently for a Delta faucet that had the stem break off in my rental (not quite sure how one breaks off a brass stem...).  It was relatively painless, but did take a week or so for the part to come in the mail (I ended up buying one and returning the one I received under warranty).

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #410 on: September 03, 2015, 02:59:07 PM »
Nominating myself here. I work in the public sector and our office is overflowing with iMacs, MacBooks and iPads. We have over two Mac products per employee with a dozen iMacs sitting idle in empty offices. Today I got asked to buy a new MacBook for a new employee. We are having a bit of a budget crisis, the state slashed our budget because they weren't getting as much money from fossil fuel taxes as they'd planned.

I offered up my own brand new work MacBook as a sacrifice for the new employee. I will have to make do with just an iPad, iMac and windows laptop.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #411 on: September 05, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »

I replaced a cartridge in my shower once, I don't remember the cartridge being particularly expensive ($10-15?) but I do remember having to buy a $25 (or something similar) special tool to remove the bad one and install the good one.  Still have the tool, but that was annoying.

Did the same thing, but I got to thinking, as the bag the tool came in was nearly worn out, and heavily rebuilt with clear packing tape. I said to myself, "wonder how many times this thing got returned to Lowe's after somebody just needed to use it once?" Then I used it, slipped it back in the bag and returned it. At that point my Lowe's bill was typically in the 3-5K a month range, so I didn't loose much sleep over it.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #412 on: September 08, 2015, 02:10:51 PM »
At that point my Lowe's bill was typically in the 3-5K a month range

Wait, what?

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #413 on: September 08, 2015, 02:45:09 PM »

Wait, what?
Either doing a major home reno - or didn't know that cordless tool batteries are rechargable

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #414 on: September 09, 2015, 08:07:12 AM »
Either doing a major home reno - or didn't know that cordless tool batteries are rechargable
[/quote]
ROFL

Still the old non-recharable batteries ^^

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #415 on: September 09, 2015, 08:10:46 AM »

Wait, what?

lol

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #416 on: September 10, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »
Nominating myself here. I work in the public sector and our office is overflowing with iMacs, MacBooks and iPads. We have over two Mac products per employee with a dozen iMacs sitting idle in empty offices. Today I got asked to buy a new MacBook for a new employee. We are having a bit of a budget crisis, the state slashed our budget because they weren't getting as much money from fossil fuel taxes as they'd planned.

I offered up my own brand new work MacBook as a sacrifice for the new employee. I will have to make do with just an iPad, iMac and windows laptop.
My boss's boss has overruled this. Apparently we have money sitting in an account and we haven't spent any of it in a while and he doesn't want anyone to think that we don't want or need that money so he's going to spend some to show that we do want and need it. The new employee already has an identical MacBook we're buying her, only apparently her keyboard is dirty.

Your tax dollars at work.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #417 on: September 11, 2015, 02:40:41 AM »
My boss's boss has overruled this. Apparently we have money sitting in an account and we haven't spent any of it in a while and he doesn't want anyone to think that we don't want or need that money so he's going to spend some to show that we do want and need it. The new employee already has an identical MacBook we're buying her, only apparently her keyboard is dirty.

[/quote]
That bullshit is not restricted to public service. It is normal for any bureocracy.
Everything that works on budget has people spend money in the budget just to have it spend, because if it is not spend, it will be cut away, and it is way harder to get new money in the budget then to not lose old, and most budgets don't even allow for moving of funds.

That is one reaon why some big company "restructure" themselves every few years.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #418 on: September 11, 2015, 08:58:17 PM »

That bullshit is not restricted to public service. It is normal for any bureocracy.
Everything that works on budget has people spend money in the budget just to have it spend, because if it is not spend, it will be cut away, and it is way harder to get new money in the budget then to not lose old, and most budgets don't even allow for moving of funds.

That is one reaon why some big company "restructure" themselves every few years.
[/quote].

That's one thing I do like about my small business. There is a complete incentive to lower expenses wherever possible. I was just a trade show and booked my stay at a hotel that is way cheaper than the one most others use, because it was all the same to me. I could have saved even more by staying at an AirBNB, but don't want to for a work trip.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #419 on: September 12, 2015, 01:00:45 PM »
I had to drive into the city yesterday for a medical appointment and saw a guy riding a foldable bike with square pails for panniers...I felt like I was for sure seeing a real-life Mustachian! :-)

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #420 on: September 16, 2015, 08:48:35 AM »
Discussion going on about mortgages, home ownership vs. renting, etc.
Me: something about how renting is great
CW: "Renting is great... especially when you are used to living with roommates and pay for your mortgage renting to friends!"

purplearcanist

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #421 on: September 16, 2015, 02:06:33 PM »
Well, I have a story about some roommates.  But then again all of my roommates did a trade with me, paying no rent in exchange for helping me out.  A deal that is probably attractive for mustacians and draws them out of the woodwork.

One of my previous roommates worked at Starbucks.  She had no car, but would have to start work early in the morning at around 3:00AM so she bike rode slightly over 3.5 miles at that time.  Also, her food expenses were pretty low, she cooked mostly pasta and canned soup and had some complimentary drink mixes courtesy of Starbucks.  Sadly, she was only my roommate for 1 month.

kandj

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #422 on: September 16, 2015, 02:49:33 PM »
I work at a very small family owned business with just a handful of employees. The engineer is only a few years older than me and bought his first house/small farm at 25, and as of a few months ago he has it paid in full (just over a year later). He is incredibly frugal and aside from no debt, drives a 20 year old car, has an old truck for his farm vehicle (plus some old tractors), and I know he opened a Roth IRA this summer. Although he doesn't (or wasn't when we talked about it) maxing out his retirement, I have a feeling he is going to be pretty wealthy in the coming years.
We also go to a small number of tradeshows a year and I loved it when I talked my boss into renting a house instead of 3 hotel rooms and letting us get groceries instead of eating out always. He is already super cheap (not always in a good way) so he loves the savings and I enjoy being more comfortable.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #423 on: September 16, 2015, 03:13:23 PM »

The opposite of a mustache is an amish beard. I view the Amish as quite a Mustachian people, so even that won't work.

At the risk of necro'ing the thread... the true opposite of a mustache would be some kind of Brazilian wax.

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #424 on: September 16, 2015, 05:41:51 PM »

Wait, what?

Thanks, that made me LOL.  Until recently I was a builder who did all my own mechanical work. I found Lowes to be my best source for the finishing end all my plumbing and electrical work, everything from switches and receptacles to sinks, toilets, and all the appliances. Given that, it's pretty easy to keep a stiff tab going at a place likes Lowes. Disclaimer: Always used the Lowes CC for the 5% discount, and paid in full as soon as the bill showed up in my E-mail.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 05:50:40 PM by paddedhat »

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #425 on: September 17, 2015, 07:18:06 AM »
Had dinner with a younger collegue friend of mine last night. We started talking finance because its a topic I love and that she knows little about but has a certain interest. We make approximately the same salary, and she divulged that she puts aside 300$ per paycheck into her TFSA (Tax-Free Savings Account here in Canada). She's a bit scared of some day not having enough money, so she did it as an afterthought.
This amounts to approximately 25% of her take-home pay - and after calculating with her how much that is per year, and an average return, she got super excited to know that she was well on her way to have 1 million $ before traditional retirement age if she continues on this path. Granted, she has a financial advisor that she doesn't know how much she pays for (percentage of her returns), but the fact that this 24 year old puts away over 7,000$ a year on a approximately 30,000$ take home pay is something I'm very proud of. I may even have piqued her interest in self-managing her funds in the future :)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #426 on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:00 AM »
she got super excited to know that she was well on her way to have 1 million $ before traditional retirement age if she continues on this path.

Great job! This is what started to open my eyes about saving and investing.

phantom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #427 on: September 18, 2015, 11:45:33 AM »
This week in our employee news letter, there was a video interview with one of my favorite co-workers.  The entire interview was hilarious, but this was the anti-antimustachian highlight:

I: What's your dream car?
CW:  Paid for

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #428 on: September 21, 2015, 01:51:31 PM »
FI came up at a gig this weekend. Turns out, the guy saves even more money than I do. He might even be in this very thread...

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #429 on: September 24, 2015, 09:03:31 AM »
Had a field trip (for lack of a better phrase) at work yesterday and my coworker offered to drive. Her car has 170k miles on the odometer and still has the original tape deck in the dash. I was seriously impressed.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #430 on: September 24, 2015, 09:18:22 AM »
Had a field trip (for lack of a better phrase) at work yesterday and my coworker offered to drive. Her car has 170k miles on the odometer and still has the original tape deck in the dash. I was seriously impressed.
Hey, I resemble that remark!  My '95 Corolla has 200k and the original tape deck.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #431 on: September 24, 2015, 09:22:07 AM »
Hey, I resemble that remark!  My '95 Corolla has 200k and the original tape deck.

I wish my tape deck worked, I enjoyed using it to listen to my Ipod, but when it crapped out I bought an aftermarket stereo and got a lot of pleasure in installing it myself (very minimal mechanical skills). I felt happy that I was able to do this and realized just how many things I could take care of on my own.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #432 on: September 24, 2015, 09:27:47 AM »
My 2000 van only has 140K miles but it has the original tape deck.  I'm getting there but at our current mileage per year it will take 12 years to get to 170K.

Now if i could only find some tapes!

antarestar

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #433 on: September 24, 2015, 12:26:49 PM »
My 2000 van only has 140K miles but it has the original tape deck.  I'm getting there but at our current mileage per year it will take 12 years to get to 170K.

I saw some awesome new wave tapes at Goodwill the other day.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #434 on: September 24, 2015, 02:29:02 PM »

I miss my 1998 Subaru Impreza with 250k and a beautiful tape deck...
It's okay, I switched to a 2004 Hyundai Sonata last year with the radio stuck on one station. Anyone like all-day, every-day jazz music?

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #435 on: September 24, 2015, 02:43:17 PM »
Anyone like all-day, every-day jazz music?

Yay!  :)

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #436 on: October 08, 2015, 09:01:24 PM »
Very proud of one of the guys on my team at work.  Today he told me, "My wife just got a promotion!  I told her to get online and increase her 401k savings rate immediately."

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #437 on: October 09, 2015, 05:19:24 PM »
I've been carpooling with a co-worker. It shouldn't be too surprising that someone whose into carpooling is into reducing expenses. She's mentioned a number of mustachian things like choosing an affordable house, planning to have it paid for in the next 10 years and, most recently, successfully have a no-spend week. She's a good influence, for sure! I'm lucky to get to car pool with her.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #438 on: October 29, 2015, 07:32:37 AM »
Yesterday...

Coworker (who has just purchased second residential property) ended up chatting about how once one of the houses is paid off she and partner shouldn't really need that much to live on, and how she will probably have the option of retiring in her early fifties, despite just embarking on yet another underpaid postgraduate qualification.

I commented that 1 million in shares and a paid-off residence will be quite enough for me and I'll reach it about the same time as her. Should throw off about 30k per annum after franking.

She commented that you could probably get away for much less, and that superannuation (Aussie equivalent- kind of - for 401k) could just be the icing on the cake (I agree, of course).

Today...

Other office mates (all less well-off than us, I believe) complaining about how poor quality economy plane flights are and how they'd never use them. Coworker and I give each other amused looks.

My colleagues are such a mixture of totally clued up and totally clueless, it's hilarious.

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #439 on: October 29, 2015, 07:45:16 AM »
Coworker told me he likes the kind of car I have (1st gen Honda Insight) but he would never buy one because they're too expensive. I said I paid $5k for mine. He said yes, he never pays over $2k for a car. (He fixes them up himself.)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #440 on: October 29, 2015, 12:32:05 PM »
I commented that 1 million in shares and a paid-off residence will be quite enough for me and I'll reach it about the same time as her. Should throw off about 30k per annum after franking.

Free postage is a sure-fire way to FI.

Other office mates (all less well-off than us, I believe) complaining about how poor quality economy plane flights are and how they'd never use them. Coworker and I give each other amused looks.

Seriously, I hate it when the wings fall off my economy flights.  That never happens in first class!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #441 on: October 29, 2015, 12:39:41 PM »
Today...

My colleagues are such a mixture of totally clued up and totally clueless, it's hilarious.

This is slightly ambiguous. Are they talking about First Class seats vs. Economy seats? Or are they talking about Delta vs. Spirit Air? Because I have saved $150 on a flight before by flying Spirit. I will not be doing that again.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #442 on: October 29, 2015, 11:06:08 PM »

This is slightly ambiguous. Are they talking about First Class seats vs. Economy seats? Or are they talking about Delta vs. Spirit Air? Because I have saved $150 on a flight before by flying Spirit. I will not be doing that again.

Sorry for the ambiguity. I meant a budget airline. I am not from N. America and I have no idea who Delta or Spirit Air is.

Free postage is a sure-fire way to FI.

Again sorry to the ambiguity, I forgot that's a common usage of 'franking' in other parts of the world. I meant fully-franked dividends (In common Australian parlance, franking credits being a means of shareholders avoiding paying tax on dividends when the company has already paid tax).

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #443 on: October 30, 2015, 08:18:35 AM »

Sorry for the ambiguity. I meant a budget airline. I am not from N. America and I have no idea who Delta or Spirit Air is.

Delta is a major US airline, and IMHO it is the nicest--that being said, the prices really aren't any different than the other major airlines. For that matter, the flights are really about the same as well--the "other major airlines" in this scenario being United and American.

Spirit Airlines is a budget airline. Actually, that is not fair to airlines. Spirit Airlines is the Dollar Store of the skies. Or maybe the portable-toilet-of the skies. I will never fly Spirit Air again, and it has even scared me into staying away from the other budget airlines. Just not worth it.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #444 on: October 30, 2015, 09:01:42 AM »

Delta is a major US airline, and IMHO it is the nicest--that being said, the prices really aren't any different than the other major airlines. For that matter, the flights are really about the same as well--the "other major airlines" in this scenario being United and American.

Spirit Airlines is a budget airline. Actually, that is not fair to airlines. Spirit Airlines is the Dollar Store of the skies. Or maybe the portable-toilet-of the skies. I will never fly Spirit Air again, and it has even scared me into staying away from the other budget airlines. Just not worth it.

Stripey, if you're British, think Ryan Air.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #445 on: October 30, 2015, 10:06:11 AM »

Please don't insult the dollar (or pound) stores. The Family Dollar, Dollar General, and Dollar Tree stores in my area are cleaner and have better service than Wal-Mart.
Spirit, one and done with that atrocious airline. There is cheap, then there is Spirit cheap. They gave me coupons for my 6 hour delay; coupons were not accepted 2 weeks later when I wanted to book another flight.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #446 on: October 30, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »
Spirit, one and done with that atrocious airline. There is cheap, then there is Spirit cheap. They gave me coupons for my 6 hour delay; coupons were not accepted 2 weeks later when I wanted to book another flight.

I still feel a little bad about it 2+ years later - I was trying to get a friend to come to a weekend trip somewhere, and the cheapest flights were Spirit and he refused to fly on that airline again because of prior bad experiences, so we were looking at other airlines. Long story short, I ended up surprising him with a gift plane ticket because he had a death in the family and had to spend his vacation fund on a trip home. I looked up the amount to fly on a non-Spirit flight and sent the money to his husband, who I was conspiring with - he booked the flight, packed his suitcase and took care of the whole "surprise! you're going to the airport!" bit. But the husband booked the cheaper Spirit Air flight... my friend was of course far too polite to complain about a free plane ticket, but I knew he must have hated flying with them!

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #447 on: November 04, 2015, 09:04:47 AM »
Coworker told me he likes the kind of car I have (1st gen Honda Insight) but he would never buy one because they're too expensive. I said I paid $5k for mine. He said yes, he never pays over $2k for a car. (He fixes them up himself.)

That's pretty impressive.

ps - 1st gen Insight is sick. I would buy a new one in a second if they still offered a manual transmission.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #448 on: December 11, 2015, 08:25:56 AM »
I had one for this thread, but it took me two days to find it.

Several engineers in my office have to travel for work. Most of them save up frequent flyer miles, hotel points, and rental car points to go on a discounted vacation with their families every couple years.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #449 on: December 11, 2015, 09:34:14 AM »
I had one for this thread, but it took me two days to find it.
We're in that time of year where the anti-mustachian experiences far outweigh the anti-anti-mustachian experiences.