Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981480 times)

fragglebock

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« on: July 13, 2014, 10:38:06 AM »
The "Overheard at Work" tread is epic!  20 months, 520k+ views and counting.

Everyone once in a while someone  mentions a coworker who is not insanely spending money on stupid crap. These stories don't tickle my schadenfreude bone as much, but it's nice to hear that stupid consumerism hasn't taken over the whole population yet.

I suggest we start a thread for sharing these stories. Sort of a "Mustachianism Around the Web" topic but closer to home. Somewhere to share all those glimmers of hope. I'll start...

A young coworker who is about to finish undergrad was talking about how his car is unreliable and he's looking forward to replacing it when he gets a full-time job (accounting degree, has a couple years of grad school and well-paid internships ahead of him). Some of the things he said:

• "One of my friends bought a new BMW after he graduated last semester."  [Talks about how much fun it was to do a 'country roads' drive in that car last weekend.] "I think that's insane. He's starting to regret it now"
  • "My dad and grandparents think I should buy a brand new car. They say, 'You'll have it forever so why not?' But I don't know... I'll probably want a new car after a few years, so I don't think my first one should be the best one ever. I can't imagine spending 20 or 25 thousand on a car."

OK, so that second statement wasn't as brilliant. But if is "best one ever" is 25k and he doesn't see a new car as a rite of passage for your first job, at least he's looking in the right direction.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:40:04 AM by fragglebock »

neophyte

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 03:26:42 PM »
I've got one. The other day I was checking my email and chatting with the coworker whose desk is beside mine.

Me:  I got an email for my credit card company. They say I qualify for a special rate on a new card. It's the same company and the same card, why wouldn't they just give me that rate on the card I have now? Oh well, delete.
Her: That's weird, what's your rate now?
Me:  I don't actually know.
Her: Me either. I just pay mine in full every month so I figure it doesn't matter.
Me:  Yeah, same here.

I think we shared a secret little high five look. 

Gen Y Finance Journey

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 05:13:37 PM »
My boss brings his lunch to work every day, brags about how he makes his own cat trees out of scrap wood and carpet, and has a ratty terrycloth shirt in his regular rotation. Of course he's not so frugal with the company's money, but that's another story. :)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 07:20:36 PM »
I have a coworker that my employer hired right out of college.  He's a bright guy, and great at what he does.  He bought a couple-years-old car when he hired on, and either very recently paid it off (18 months later) or has plans to pay it off before the end of the summer.

We also have several people in the office who live close enough to bike to work, and some of them actually do!

Most people in the office bring in their own lunch, and they're almost all very healthy lunches (mine are probably some of the worst! :P).  The ones who go out for lunch?  Sadly, it's the college interns who are paid the lowest.

The two owners drive cars that are about 15 years old (I've got 'em beat--when I drive to work, I've got a '95 Corolla).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 01:47:34 AM »
In 2006 I worked for a Brigadier General (makes about $10k a month) who drove to work in a mid-late 90s Nissan.  I can't remember the exact model, but it was a small car that I would have driven in high school.  At a meeting he was chewing out his staff and when giving them a deadline held his arm in the air and said "according to my $25 Casio..."  He was making a point about how simple it should be for people to be on time, but I was in the back of the room smirking because it was the same watch I was wearing. I don't know about him, but I'm still wearing that watch.

Quark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 09:14:09 AM »
Overheard my intern discussing 401K and other benefits with her boss to learn what they were. Came over later and asked her if she knew what the max was. Told her about that and using an IRA and my best piece of advice is to "max that shit out", then you can do whatever you want in life when you are FI. Sent her the link to MMM and she thinks it's a good read. YAY!

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 09:54:21 AM »
Overheard my intern discussing 401K and other benefits with her boss to learn what they were. Came over later and asked her if she knew what the max was. Told her about that and using an IRA and my best piece of advice is to "max that shit out", then you can do whatever you want in life when you are FI. Sent her the link to MMM and she thinks it's a good read. YAY!
Good job educating others!

Dr. Doom

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 04:58:10 PM »
At my current gig, this was perhaps a month ago.

Boss:  Let's all go out to lunch today to celebrate the completion of Project X!
Coworker A:  YEAH!  I know just the place.  Sushi.
Coworker B:  Uhh... boss, you're paying, right?
Boss:  Well, not exactly. 
Coworker A:  Aw, who cares?  We get to go out and have fun!
Coworker B:  Pass.  Let me know if you want to actually take us out as a real reward.

So cool - I rarely hear people other than me ask the tough questions in these situations.  Then the bill comes and it's too late.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 11:55:14 PM »
At my current gig, this was perhaps a month ago.

Boss:  Let's all go out to lunch today to celebrate the completion of Project X!
Coworker A:  YEAH!  I know just the place.  Sushi.
Coworker B:  Uhh... boss, you're paying, right?
Boss:  Well, not exactly. 
Coworker A:  Aw, who cares?  We get to go out and have fun!
Coworker B:  Pass.  Let me know if you want to actually take us out as a real reward.

So cool - I rarely hear people other than me ask the tough questions in these situations.  Then the bill comes and it's too late.

LOL, one time my boss invited me to lunch, and then immediately added "you pay for yourself" (or something to that effect... maybe a bit more tactful but still super awkward). The  joys of working with lawyers.

Forcus

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »
I wouldn't call this uber-mustachian, but my boss' boss probably makes 500k a year with stock options and drives a 10 year old Dodge Dakota to work. For comparison, some of the younger folks that make the same or less as me drive 50-70k cars (one guy I know here has a Nissan Skyline GT-R). I don't think he is purposefully making a statement but I get a kick out of it.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 01:58:50 PM »
Can I also use this for the Anti-AntiMustachian Edition of Overheard on Facebook?

Old highschool friend announced she is about to start saving $200 a month on utilities now that her solar panels have finished being installed.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 02:28:16 PM »
Long time ago now, so forget who it was, but a test pilot (Canadian I think) was being interviewed - they were going out to his 'vette.  Reporter is expecting a Corvette - it was a Chevette.  Test pilot said he got paid to go fast and dangerous, on his own time he was driving safely.

Shooter_D

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2014, 10:28:27 AM »
I have a co-worker whose father made her husband read "The Wealthy Barber" after he proposed to her. Father wanted to make sure the future husband had some sense when it came to money. They are within a few years of retirement now...

That being said, I had some trouble coming up with a good one for this thread. I have a few good stories about anti-mustachianisms...

Vorpal

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
Can I also use this for the Anti-AntiMustachian Edition of Overheard on Facebook?

Old highschool friend announced she is about to start saving $200 a month on utilities now that her solar panels have finished being installed.

Good for her on installing the panels, but she's going to be saving $200 per month?! Jeez, either her electric bills are really high or she installed an entire solar panel farm and is essentially off-grid. I've only been paying around $150 per month to cool a 2200+ sqft. house, and this is summertime in Houston! I even pay extra for 100% Wind Power. Is this some place with really high rates (Hawaii)?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 01:52:18 PM by Winston »

Middlesbrough

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2014, 09:56:20 AM »
Talked to my coworker who started biking into work. We were talking about how much we were saving on gas and how I only fill up now to go on trips. He was happy to have not filled his car for two weeks. So proud of him.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2014, 12:17:35 PM »

Good for her on installing the panels, but she's going to be saving $200 per month?! Jeez, either her electric bills are really high or she installed an entire solar panel farm and is essentially off-grid. I've only been paying around $150 per month to cool a 2200+ sqft. house, and this is summertime in Houston! I even pay extra for 100% Wind Power. Is this some place with really high rates (Hawaii)?

Ha ha, I thought someone might notice that.  Yes, as a matter of fact, it is Hawaii.

VillageIdiot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 07:34:55 PM »

The savings from electric panels can theoretically exceed your energy spending. Typically with panels you will sell back excess energy to the system, and buy energy when you aren't getting enough (like at night). Depending on where you live, how big the panels are and where they are mounted, and your households energy usage panels could range from a minor money saver to a small source of income.

Basenji

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »
I like this thread, but I only have one story. I gradually became very close friends with a coworker. I noticed that she was frugal, her car was really inexpensive, she sometimes invited me to eat out, but her "splurge" was usually a special deal. I knew she made much more than I do and her husband is in a fairly high paying gig. When I discovered MMM we had become closer friends and I told her about it. She smiled like a cheshire cat and swore me to secrecy. Next year she and her husband will be FI and move to the countryside. They plan to do do some part-time work, but mostly be RE. They are both 35. I was so happy for them. It really motivated me as well.

Numbers Man

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 04:31:09 PM »
^ Cool story!

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 06:42:29 PM »
A couple years ago, I had an intern at my work who was a rare breed.

Whenever someone asked where she lived, she would say she lived in suchandsuch town. Immediately, the other person would point out that there's a mall there. She would point out that she lived 2 minutes from it yet had NEVER been there.

People went nuts everytime.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2014, 01:53:08 AM »
I have a small team of 10 employees. Two of the team plan to retire before 40. One is very close to that age and goal. So we had a chat and she took her first step with an unpaid month off to test her plan. Yep, it went well and I'm very excited for her.

3 guys cycle to work and everyone in the building brings a packed lunch. If you want to know the bets price for a certain product in the city? We're your guys

It makes us a very mustachian workplace. I'm 99% sure I'm the only one on here.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2014, 12:30:53 PM »
I have a small team of 10 employees. Two of the team plan to retire before 40. One is very close to that age and goal. So we had a chat and she took her first step with an unpaid month off to test her plan. Yep, it went well and I'm very excited for her.

3 guys cycle to work and everyone in the building brings a packed lunch. If you want to know the bets price for a certain product in the city? We're your guys

What type of work are you doing? How did that mustachian team started beeing mustachian?

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »
I, too, never have any cool over-heards for the other thread, because my office overall is very frugal. Most people bring their lunch to work or eat the complimentary food out of the kitchen (including the two owners). Most of the parking lot is filled with older model cars (although sadly I'm the only one who bikes into the office, and as far as I know not a single person buses in).

In fact, a few months ago, the owner was telling me about how he and his wife were downsizing, and that they were selling their (small very modest) house and buying a small condo.

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 11:28:02 AM »
Two stories from work telling how I'm way out-frugaled.  Two of the security guards here bicycle to work.  I compliment them on the baddassity (use other words).  One I find out uses a combo of busses and light rail as well as ridding.  I mention that I keep thinking when it cools down I have no reason not to get out and ride the canals which go everywhere here in Phoenix.  He gets a funny look on his face as I mention the ones that would bring me to within less than a mile of work.  He said it sounded like a great idea.  A few days later I asked if he had checked out the canals, and he said he is now using them to bike to work.  Sigh.  I obviously have no excuse not to start this myself.

A few weeks ago one of the new security guys who is young was in the kitchen when I was.  In making conversation he asked my opinion about new cars as he thought with his next paycheck he could afford to buy one.  I was pleased to be asked, but I haven't bought a car in 6 years.  As I was trying to think of what new models would be easy to get into with a low paying job, he mentioned he was looking at Craigs List and told me about a couple he had in mind.  Obvously cheap enough to pay cash.  I was humbled by how he obviously at 20 something was ahead of me in money management.

Then there is the co-worker who mentioned he and wife paid $1500/ticket to go to a fight in Vegas.  But that is the other thread.

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 11:44:34 AM »

What type of work are you doing? How did that mustachian team started beeing mustachian?

We're a small business. Not the most mustachian of industries. But we are (most of us)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:21:07 AM by MajorFacepunch »

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 11:48:40 AM »
This guy at work retired at age 50 something - not young by MMM standards, but more people were shocked that he retired at his age:  Here is his goodbye email - with company name removed.

As my last day at -------- is drawing to a close, I wanted thank all of you who have sought me out with kind words.  As most of you have experienced my gruff nature and am a bit surprised at how that guy is being blessed with such kindness.  --------- has been way more than a job for me.  I have always cared deeply about what we do and how we do it, and I am proud of what has been accomplished from where we began to today.  To the print and production folks, I will miss you all the most.  It has been a pleasure working alongside such hard working, dedicated, yet quirky folks.  Thanks for allowing me to know about your lives and sharing your humor with me.  I wish ------- and all of you here great success as your futures unfold.  Remember you need each other, be passionate, save your money and retire young.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2014, 01:47:03 PM »
We share an office with a small software company.  We share a kitchen area, but each company has its own stuff (coffee maker, microwave, etc.).  Sounded like they had a new hire that was getting a tour of the office:

"...we have our own fridge in here and microwave, so if you want to bring food and store it, because, you know, eating out gets expensive..."

I only wish I wasn't so busy this morning so I could share with you guys a more precise recollection of the event.  Either way, made me happy for the day

EricL

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2014, 05:13:27 PM »
Fortunately my co workers are either reasonably prudent or prudently quiet about their finances so I've no recent stories.  However, here's one from years ago I posted in another part of the forum.

SPC R was a 20 something company clerk in my first officer assignment and a pretty smart guy.  In conversation he broadly hinted he had tens of thousands invested in various stocks and diverted large chunks of his pay to buy them.  One day at work I found him practically doing somersaults with joy.   Some company had gone public and he was diverting a large chunk of his assets to buy into it.  I was in no position to invest and thought he was a bit crazy.  I told him as much since the company's business model was so unconventional.  But SPC R assured me this "Google" company would do very well.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2014, 07:53:40 AM »
This guy at work retired at age 50 something - not young by MMM standards, but more people were shocked that he retired at his age:  Here is his goodbye email - with company name removed.

As my last day at -------- is drawing to a close, I wanted thank all of you who have sought me out with kind words.  As most of you have experienced my gruff nature and am a bit surprised at how that guy is being blessed with such kindness.  --------- has been way more than a job for me.  I have always cared deeply about what we do and how we do it, and I am proud of what has been accomplished from where we began to today.  To the print and production folks, I will miss you all the most.  It has been a pleasure working alongside such hard working, dedicated, yet quirky folks.  Thanks for allowing me to know about your lives and sharing your humor with me.  I wish ------- and all of you here great success as your futures unfold.  Remember you need each other, be passionate, save your money and retire young.

That's awesome!

hownowbrowncow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2014, 11:23:45 AM »
I think pretty much all of our C Suite Executives walk, bus, or bike to work. My favorite is the guy who runs  ~4 miles to work.  Due to back problems he doesn't wear a backpack.  His workaround - a jogging stroller!  His youngest is in middle school so I'm not sure if it was his from years ago or if he bought a cheap used one.  Either way creative solution!

Wolf_Stache

• Pencil Stache
    • Flower's Fang
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2014, 02:01:06 PM »
I think pretty much all of our C Suite Executives walk, bus, or bike to work. My favorite is the guy who runs  ~4 miles to work.  Due to back problems he doesn't wear a backpack.  His workaround - a jogging stroller!  His youngest is in middle school so I'm not sure if it was his from years ago or if he bought a cheap used one.  Either way creative solution!

Heh, I love that!

One company I used to work at in downtown Seattle, my boss, I forget his exact title now -maybe controller? anyway, he would run to work in downtown Seattle... from the Issaquah Highlands!

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 09:25:18 AM »
There are several people that are pretty close to mustachianism where I work, but I know of three who could probably pull the plug any day now and are just building up their stache to be a bit bigger. 

One couple works two part time jobs here so they can alternate and only have a small amount of childcare in the middle of the day, and they live off half of one of the two salaries (75% Savings Rate).  Another person here was always a big saver, but only started planing his FIRE goals about 3 years ago.  His numbers look good, but He's waiting out at least a year to build up his investments.   All of them are less then 35. 

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2014, 09:01:55 PM »
People at work were talking about how vanguard is the cheapest and best place for simple investments. Same conversation: "I had to call to confirm something about my new credit card and they gave me a 20k limit. I don't care about the limit, I just want the rewards points."

NearlyThere

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 12:29:01 PM »

That's awesome!

Agreed.

dycker1978

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 02:13:40 PM »
Sad that the other edition has 78 pages and this not even 78 posts...  I guess that points to the state of most households...

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 02:23:13 PM »
Also the other thread was started way before this one.  The first line in the first post of this thread:

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2014, 11:22:13 AM »
Spent a four day trip flying with a hardcore Christian who believed in numerology and conspiracies like the New World Order and Illuminati and all that crap. I didn't think I could find anything in common to talk about until somehow the subject changed to finances and investing. When he said "I've never had a car loan, I've always paid cash" I knew the trip was going to get better.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2014, 01:42:48 PM »
Also the other thread was started way before this one.  The first line in the first post of this thread:

Also the other thread can go off topic for, like, 3 pages at a time.

odput

• Bristles
  • "I reject your reality and substitute my own"
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 06:42:51 AM »
Yesterday at lunch, the guys from the small software company that we share an office with brought a chess board with them to play over their lunch break.  I found myself watching because, hey, who doesn't love some chess?  One of the lab techs joined me when he showed up with his lunch.  We got to talking with the guys playing and before you know it, "I play winner" turned into full league planning.  Day 1, and we already have aspirations of an inter-company chess league complete with seasons and playoffs.

I love this place

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2014, 07:59:56 AM »
I prefer Go. Easier rules, but more (different) work for the brain.

hm... Picard in the Quotes? Then I will addd one:
"If there is intelligent life somewhere in the universe, then they probably know chess, but definitely Go." - Emanuel Lasker, Chess World Champion

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2014, 12:52:01 PM »
When I started my first government job, the building custodian stopped by, introduced himself and asked if I'd started my TSP yet.  I wasn't eligible initially (I've forgotten the rules, but there was some initial waiting period.  The custodian asked me what date the waiting period ended, and he was back at my desk on that day, reminding me to get at least the match, and to increase every time I got a raise. 

He used to buy beat-up crap at garage sales, clean it up and resell it for nice profits.  He once turned a $75 wood stove into a $250 sale with some steel wool and some kind of polish.  He used to come in and talk about stocks with my office mate, and one day my office mate said "he is one of the smartest and probably the wealthiest guy in the building. 

Why was he a custodian?  Poor education, and the government just can't see street smarts for what it is.  But he walked out the door when he chose to retire as a wealthy man.  I am still grateful to him for getting me on the right track. 

OddOne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2014, 01:25:09 PM »
When I started my first government job, the building custodian stopped by, introduced himself and asked if I'd started my TSP yet.  I wasn't eligible initially (I've forgotten the rules, but there was some initial waiting period.  The custodian asked me what date the waiting period ended, and he was back at my desk on that day, reminding me to get at least the match, and to increase every time I got a raise. 

He used to buy beat-up crap at garage sales, clean it up and resell it for nice profits.  He once turned a $75 wood stove into a $250 sale with some steel wool and some kind of polish.  He used to come in and talk about stocks with my office mate, and one day my office mate said "he is one of the smartest and probably the wealthiest guy in the building. 

Why was he a custodian?  Poor education, and the government just can't see street smarts for what it is.  But he walked out the door when he chose to retire as a wealthy man.  I am still grateful to him for getting me on the right track.

What a great story! Glad he kept up with you.

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2014, 03:38:45 PM »
One more for the anti-anti's. 

Our office has a table in the lunchroom where anyone can put anything, up for grabs by anyone else.  Usually it's produce from people's gardens, or thumbed-through magazines, but sometimes it's lotions or books or stuffed animals-- you get the drift.  The items are usually gone within an hour of deposit. 

This morning there was a bunch of expired goods on the table-- anything from canned masala sauce to a package of gluten-free ice cream cones (who even thinks this stuff up?)  Everything was out of date-- up to 4 years past. 

By noon, everything was gone except the ice cream cones.  I admit I ate one-- it tasted like a stale gluten-free ginger snap.  Not good, but it was free! 

red7

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2014, 09:59:48 AM »
I have a pretty big commute to work, so I consider this an overheard at work item.

As I was leaving my neighborhood, I got behind an old Toyota Sienna with a bright red bumper sticker:

"Debt is normal. Be weird."

I was pretty shocked to see it in my area, but it made me really happy. :)

Peony

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2014, 11:34:20 AM »
Surprised to find I'm enjoying this thread even more than the other one!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2014, 12:35:55 PM »
At work, the senior people and partners at my small consulting firm are pretty frugal from what I can tell. In discussions, I know many of them bike to the train (5 miles) and all of that kind of stuff. One of the programmers is Indian, and I am pretty sure he has FU money and maybe even FI at this point. He wants to work though. It's the younger folks (and the more American culturally) that are super bad with money (buying breakfast and lunch at work every day kinda stuff).

Less

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2014, 06:45:36 PM »
My boss and I were interviewing a candidate and asked where he saw his career going. His answer concluded with "and around age 55 I would like to move into more of a technical team management type of roll".

As soon as he left the interview we both looked at each other and started to laugh. Both of us are at least financially aware and planning to be retired pre-50. It was the first time I admitted to having some intent to RE at work too.

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2014, 01:14:42 PM »
Kinda sad, but we have several divorced people in the office.  The ones that make good money are undoubtely paying alimony and saw their balance sheets get hacked in half.  Understandibly, they are trying to cut costs...

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2014, 05:04:43 PM »
OP: Lots of things in the works. 2 certifications, finishing my degree, and someones gotta pay for it all. Given that fact, would my friends think it was just to weird if the walked into say . . . CHIPOTLE and saw making the salsa, or even rolling your burrito?
Person 1: Nope. Gotta do what you gotta do. Plus I know my burrito would then be made with more than just their ingredients...it would be made with love too.
Person 2: Absolutely not! Go out there and make your dreams happen!!!
Person 1: Yeah don't feel bad at all. I spent the weekend collecting horse urine for some extra cash. No shame my friend.
When I was standing midwatches or weekend/holiday duty, we always used to joke that the alternative was working shifts at McDonald's.

But nobody ever proposed molesting horses for their bladder contents!

Lizzy B.

• Stubble
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2014, 12:45:15 PM »
I just got back from a lunchtime financial workshop hosted by my company's retirement company.  The workshop was designed specifically for young women, and was mostly too basic to be of any use.  My table mates were awesome, though, and our conversations lead me to suspect there are a few closet mustachians here.

The first comment one woman made right after sitting down was that the best financial advice she could offer (to the two youngest ladies at our table) was to max out your pre-tax contributions.  From their reactions, I suspect the ladies in question already DO max out their accounts, but didn't want to admit it to a table full of strangers. 

One of our activities was to create a budget with 7ish assigned categories.  One category was debt (and not mortgage or car debt; those were included elsewhere).  No one at the table (including the recent graduates) thought debt was a reasonable budget line item and wondered why it was included.  Their first guess at how much was reasonable to save was 25-30%.  I'm guessing this also included a "I don't want to shock the other folks at the table, so I'll round down" factor.

The speaker had lots of "It's so hard to balance a budget these days" comments included to make it palatable to a mainstream audience, but my coworkers were having none of it:  "If you can't afford the house, buy a smaller one!"  "Why would you have credit card debt?  Just live within your means!" "Don't eat out; cook in bulk and freeze meals for when you're feeling lazy!"

The best was an example of putting a $2,500 couch on a credit card and showing how much the couch costs after paying it off using the minimum.  Everyone in the audience was dead set against buying it.   ("Don't by the new couch, buy used!" "Buy with cash and get a discount"  "Save up for it BEFORE you purchase it")  The instructor kept having to repeat, "but let's pretend you NEED that new couch"  to make her next point about paying it off quickly instead.  I don't think the folks in the room would have bought the couch.  :-)

Nice job, ladies!