Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 777060 times)

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #1450 on: February 09, 2021, 04:38:52 AM »
We had no TV when I was a kid. I remember being asked if we were Amish.  I was confused, as I _really_ did NOT look Amish. There were lots of real Amish around and I didnít fit the dress code .

News Flash!!!
Americans are the most ignorant well-educated people in the world.   Bar none.

Truth.  I had to explain to my team lead the other day that European Spaniards look similar to most other European peoples and are not dark skinned like Latin Americans.

Uh, there are dark skinned Spaniards and light skinned Latin Americans. Both have long histories of varied immigrations.

Yes, I know.  But he was assuming that all Spaniards were darker skinned, like Latin Americans.
Tell him the Spanish cultural Golden Time was under Islamic Rule and it only went downwards after the Christians finshed their "Reconquista". (They were quite successful in pillaging and slaving though in the next few centuries.)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1451 on: February 09, 2021, 05:06:11 AM »
We had no TV when I was a kid. I remember being asked if we were Amish.  I was confused, as I _really_ did NOT look Amish. There were lots of real Amish around and I didnít fit the dress code .

News Flash!!!
Americans are the most ignorant well-educated people in the world.   Bar none.

Truth.  I had to explain to my team lead the other day that European Spaniards look similar to most other European peoples and are not dark skinned like Latin Americans.

Uh, there are dark skinned Spaniards and light skinned Latin Americans. Both have long histories of varied immigrations.

Yes, I know.  But he was assuming that all Spaniards were darker skinned, like Latin Americans.
Tell him the Spanish cultural Golden Time was under Islamic Rule and it only went downwards after the Christians finshed their "Reconquista". (They were quite successful in pillaging and slaving though in the next few centuries.)

I don't even want to go there.  He's one of those "Christians are so persecuted these days" guys. 

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #1452 on: February 09, 2021, 07:15:16 PM »
There was a dear man who was a custodian at the high school I taught at that would talk with me a few minutes every day. On the day he retired early he told me he was going to buy a professional camera with all the loose change he had swept up every day that kids had dropped or thrown at each other.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1453 on: February 09, 2021, 07:19:28 PM »
There was a dear man who was a custodian at the high school I taught at that would talk with me a few minutes every day. On the day he retired early he told me he was going to buy a professional camera with all the loose change he had swept up every day that kids had dropped or thrown at each other.
THAT perfectly fits the thread.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1454 on: February 09, 2021, 07:27:30 PM »

That's such a great story. I hope he's enjoying his well deserved early retirement!

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1455 on: February 10, 2021, 03:47:28 AM »
I pity the cashier who has to count that :D

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1456 on: February 11, 2021, 11:24:53 AM »
Twice per week, I have a virtual meeting with our audit team. It's both there to discuss audit status and needs, as well as an excuse to socialize with people. Every meeting starts off with the in-charge talking about his crypto gains for the week. Today, it was "I've made $357 since last week!"

I just smile and nod along. I guess it's good that he's doing something. Another person (fairly new) did say that he plans to stick to index funds whenever he gets around to investing. I hope "whenever he gets around to it" is sooner, rather than later.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1457 on: February 12, 2021, 04:19:17 AM »
Twice per week, I have a virtual meeting with our audit team. It's both there to discuss audit status and needs, as well as an excuse to socialize with people. Every meeting starts off with the in-charge talking about his crypto gains for the week. Today, it was "I've made $357 since last week!"

I just smile and nod along. I guess it's good that he's doing something. Another person (fairly new) did say that he plans to stick to index funds whenever he gets around to investing. I hope "whenever he gets around to it" is sooner, rather than later.
I could not sleep well with crypto stuff. There is simply no understandable reason for big changes.

Also I did made 400 too in the second January week with Tesla, and lost 400 in the third week with Xiaomi thanks to Trump.
It comes, it goes.

One of my coworkers also does cryptos. Currently he looks happier than half a year ago about that :D

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1458 on: February 12, 2021, 07:50:51 AM »

I could not sleep well with crypto stuff. There is simply no understandable reason for big changes.

Also I did made 400 too in the second January week with Tesla, and lost 400 in the third week with Xiaomi thanks to Trump.
It comes, it goes.

One of my coworkers also does cryptos. Currently he looks happier than half a year ago about that :D

There is more and more talk of paying with things in crypto. How does that even work? Do you make the exchange the second you agree on a price or does every negotiation become a crypto gamble?

Phenix

• Stubble
« Reply #1459 on: February 12, 2021, 12:19:34 PM »

It comes, it goes.

There is more and more talk of paying with things in crypto. How does that even work? Do you make the exchange the second you agree on a price or does every negotiation become a crypto gamble?

https://www.investopedia.com/news/bitcoin-pizza-day-celebrating-20-million-pizza-order/
Works out better for some than it does for others.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1460 on: February 13, 2021, 10:26:40 AM »

It comes, it goes.

That heavily depends on what you use with whom ;)

But in general it's (or can be) not different from paying in any other currency. After all, the currency is just a description related to a certain number of your account.
Take e.g. Paypal who want to jump on the train right now: Does it matter to PP if you click on dollar, Euro or Bitcoin?

Of course that is high level usage, the lower you go the more hassle it becomes - and also a lot less efficient (energy wise) than conventional credit card companies for example, at least for Bitcoin, which btw. cannot handle even 1% of todays credit card transactions.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1461 on: February 13, 2021, 10:30:35 AM »

It comes, it goes.

That heavily depends on what you use with whom ;)

But in general it's (or can be) not different from paying in any other currency. After all, the currency is just a description related to a certain number of your account.
Take e.g. Paypal who want to jump on the train right now: Does it matter to PP if you click on dollar, Euro or Bitcoin?

Of course that is high level usage, the lower you go the more hassle it becomes - and also a lot less efficient (energy wise) than conventional credit card companies for example, at least for Bitcoin, which btw. cannot handle even 1% of todays credit card transactions.

I wasn't worried about PP, but about those on either end of the transaction. The dollar and the euro fluctuate, but not by as much as crypto. Massive fluctuations like crypto are why fiat currencies end up collapsing, going to the dollar or devaluing, but of course that is because the "fluctuations" in fiat currencies tend to go in one direction, not see sawing back and forth.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1462 on: February 13, 2021, 10:45:57 AM »
I am planning a city-wide Food Drive for April. I was speaking to a grocery store manager I know slightly.  He said he wanted to be sure to get the date on the calendar in case he wasn't there. W-w-what? Seems he's worried about his health and wants to take a year off to get things back in balance. You know I was grinning from ear-to-ear under my mask. Of course I mentioned the blog and this site and promised to send a link. Wouldn't it be cool if he discovered he was already there?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:41:22 PM by Dicey »

Green_Tea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1463 on: February 13, 2021, 12:29:15 PM »
[...] and also a lot less efficient (energy wise) than conventional credit card companies for example, at least for Bitcoin, which btw. cannot handle even 1% of todays credit card transactions.

Hey @LennStar , do you happen to have some background reading for this? I was discussing this with a friend and while we found some resources they were kind of vague. Thanks a lot in advance!

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1464 on: February 14, 2021, 04:49:58 AM »
[...] and also a lot less efficient (energy wise) than conventional credit card companies for example, at least for Bitcoin, which btw. cannot handle even 1% of todays credit card transactions.

Hey @LennStar , do you happen to have some background reading for this? I was discussing this with a friend and while we found some resources they were kind of vague. Thanks a lot in advance!
Sorry, I don't know any good place for a beginner. I have been mostly out of crypto for 3 years now. (Except Gridcoin, which is a unique one and not one for a beginner trying to understand :D)

But it should not that hard to find estimates about the energy usage of Bitcoin. The keywords here are "proof of work". (There is also "proof of stake" which uses a lot less energy as an alternative mode to "move the chain")

As for transactions maximum, that's easy: Maximum size of the block, time between blocks and size per transaction.
First one is fixed. Second one averages out in the long run and third can fluctuate a lot depending on how much prior transactions you have to put together for the funds. But that has an average too.

Take those three numbers and you know fairly exact how much transaction a blockchain can do.

NorCal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1465 on: February 14, 2021, 08:02:58 AM »

Sorry, I don't know any good place for a beginner. I have been mostly out of crypto for 3 years now. (Except Gridcoin, which is a unique one and not one for a beginner trying to understand :D)

But it should not that hard to find estimates about the energy usage of Bitcoin. The keywords here are "proof of work". (There is also "proof of stake" which uses a lot less energy as an alternative mode to "move the chain")

As for transactions maximum, that's easy: Maximum size of the block, time between blocks and size per transaction.
First one is fixed. Second one averages out in the long run and third can fluctuate a lot depending on how much prior transactions you have to put together for the funds. But that has an average too.

Take those three numbers and you know fairly exact how much transaction a blockchain can do.

I canít vouch for crypto numbers, but I can give you some context about credit card numbers. I worked at a major credit card company about a decade ago. At the time, we were processing about 2.5 million transactions a second during peak times ( I forget the annual totals). Given the growth of the industry, Iíd guestimate this number has roughly doubled since I worked there.  All of this was split between two redundant data centers.

A big part of the uphill climb crypto has to overcome are parts of the financial transaction that most people donít think of until they need it. Things like authorization services, dispute resolution, fraud resolution, chargebacks, refunds, etc, donít exist in the crypto world. While these services could possibly be created, it would require eliminating some of the things that make crypto unique.

freedomfightergal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1466 on: February 17, 2021, 11:18:08 AM »
many years ago I got a new job close to home & started biking to work, taking my lunch & I hadn't had cable or any tv for a couple of years. so after a co-worker commented about some news I mentioned I didn't watch tv & they asked very seriously if I was Amish or something! lol It became a thing after that, I even started wearing all black eheh

I hear there are lots of Amish people in Oz... /s
??

It was at a US based job....

Taran Wanderer

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1467 on: February 17, 2021, 10:11:34 PM »
Well that joke fell flat.  Oops.

zolotiyeruki

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1468 on: February 18, 2021, 06:25:30 AM »
Well that joke fell flat.  Oops.
I appreciated the humor!  (I think freedomfightergal missed the sarcasm tag... :) )

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1469 on: February 18, 2021, 07:05:40 AM »

When the same thing happened Tuesday, I decided to privately email the two newer staff members and offered a different perspective, including links to a few good blog posts (including two from MMM). One replied that he loves MMM, but hasn't put it all together yet.

Green_Tea

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1470 on: February 18, 2021, 02:58:31 PM »
Thank you @LennStar and @NorCal !

Tjat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1471 on: April 29, 2021, 06:14:44 PM »
Naturally frugal employee who Iíve managed for years as heís progressed upwards throughout his career: ďhey so Iíve been thinking more about savings now that I have a higher income and noticed that thereís a total 401k limit of like 58k, whatís that about?Ē

I explain how mega back door Rothís work

Him: holy crap thatís a good idea!