Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 686174 times)

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #1400 on: December 23, 2019, 08:46:09 AM »
Not overheard at work but what I did:
Got on the benefits committee at my employer last year, proposed a 401k switch to a better provider from the current AmFunds.
Was given time to research and write a data-driven paper with my findings and recommendations.
Submitted to management after committee peer review.
New corporate Veep asked me to brief her late last year.
Meanwhile, heard about Guideline on MMM Forums, proposed it as an additional/late recommendation.
HR/Benefits team sat with current and prospective providers in Q1 2019, Guideline top in every category.
On 4/1 company announced the switch will happen at the end of the month.
I had to tell them this wasn't an April Fool's Day trick, this was the real thing.
Is there any way you would be willing to share your presentation? I am with Voya at work and it is absolute garbage. Id love to bring something to my bosses to make a change that would benefit everyone.

I'd love to see it too! I am the HR manager at my company, and we have NO retirement plan of any kind. I've been talking to my boss (the owner) about it, but he's afraid of the cost. If you could share your ammo, that would be awesome.

for @solon and @lexde  and others.

sanitized versions attached. Errors and Omissions Expected.

Appendix document created by me, after work, on lack of sleep.
Spreadsheet created by my Veep. She's not a financial analyst but did a good job tracking inputs.

If anyone has complaints or nitpicks, too bad.

If anyone needs clarification, please ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question. We're all here to learn and share.

Happy Holidays! May this lead you to better retirement options in 20/20.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 09:22:05 AM by jinga nation »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1401 on: December 25, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »
What a nice Holiday Gift to our community! May it ripple outward and lift some more boats.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1402 on: January 01, 2020, 11:02:49 AM »
Not overheard at work but what I did:
Got on the benefits committee at my employer last year, proposed a 401k switch to a better provider from the current AmFunds.
Was given time to research and write a data-driven paper with my findings and recommendations.
Submitted to management after committee peer review.
New corporate Veep asked me to brief her late last year.
Meanwhile, heard about Guideline on MMM Forums, proposed it as an additional/late recommendation.
HR/Benefits team sat with current and prospective providers in Q1 2019, Guideline top in every category.
On 4/1 company announced the switch will happen at the end of the month.
I had to tell them this wasn't an April Fool's Day trick, this was the real thing.
Is there any way you would be willing to share your presentation? I am with Voya at work and it is absolute garbage. Id love to bring something to my bosses to make a change that would benefit everyone.

I'd love to see it too! I am the HR manager at my company, and we have NO retirement plan of any kind. I've been talking to my boss (the owner) about it, but he's afraid of the cost. If you could share your ammo, that would be awesome.

for @solon and @lexde  and others.

sanitized versions attached. Errors and Omissions Expected.

Appendix document created by me, after work, on lack of sleep.
Spreadsheet created by my Veep. She's not a financial analyst but did a good job tracking inputs.

If anyone has complaints or nitpicks, too bad.

If anyone needs clarification, please ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question. We're all here to learn and share.

Happy Holidays! May this lead you to better retirement options in 20/20.
Thank you so much! I hope that I can do something good with this information and I will certainly update you if that's the case!

Dee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1403 on: January 13, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »
One guy at work I suspect is an MMM-er. He will occasionally book a boardroom and invite everyone on the team to show up for lunch of they are available. He'll bring a little something to share like timbits or homemade muffins. He did this last week and noticed that he seemed to be the only one who'd bought his lunch from the cafeteria. (I think he usually brings it from home.) Now, a few people fessed up that their "brown-bag" or "from home" lunches were leftovers from take-out the night before, or contained something from a lunch-bar at a grocery store. So not totally mustachian, but really not bad!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1404 on: February 20, 2020, 07:27:14 AM »
Not at work, but from friends who'd moved to a new city a couple months ago:

F1: "So do you guys often go out for food to explore all the options here??"
F2: "To be honest, no, we often are all excited about trying places but then once it's evening we get lazy and cook our own food rather than go out"

Wohooo, eating out is called the LAZY option here people. Hail to these mustachians :)

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1405 on: February 20, 2020, 07:30:31 AM »
DH's new colleague bought a house and is looking for a second roommate after finding one within the first week.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1406 on: February 20, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
Not at work, but from friends who'd moved to a new city a couple months ago:

F1: "So do you guys often go out for food to explore all the options here??"
F2: "To be honest, no, we often are all excited about trying places but then once it's evening we get lazy and cook our own food rather than go out"

Wohooo, eating out is called the LAZY option here people. Hail to these mustachians :)

Oooh I totally get that! When I get home from work the last thing I want to do is get on my bike and go to a restaurant, or order food in and wait for it to arrive and hope it's as good as it looks in the picture. I just want to put my prepped meal in the microwave, change out of my work clothes and START EATING.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1407 on: February 20, 2020, 07:06:34 PM »
One of my employees today asked for help getting set up to contribute to her 401k! She has been with the team for a little over a year now, but was going through a divorce with 3 young boys and didn't have the funds previously to start saving. I could tell she was completely new to investing, so I kept things simple to start and kept her in the target date fund she already had around $4k in from her previous employment at our company - actually not a terrible fund with decent fees. She was even willing to enroll in the auto increase feature to eventually get up to 20%! I was really proud of her, she has been through a LOT this past year, and it's obvious she cares about her future. She may not be on the path to early retirement, but I have no doubts that if she continues contributing the way she is she will at least have a comfortable retirement one day!

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1408 on: February 20, 2020, 07:22:16 PM »
One of my employees today asked for help getting set up to contribute to her 401k! She has been with the team for a little over a year now, but was going through a divorce with 3 young boys and didn't have the funds previously to start saving. I could tell she was completely new to investing, so I kept things simple to start and kept her in the target date fund she already had around $4k in from her previous employment at our company - actually not a terrible fund with decent fees. She was even willing to enroll in the auto increase feature to eventually get up to 20%! I was really proud of her, she has been through a LOT this past year, and it's obvious she cares about her future. She may not be on the path to early retirement, but I have no doubts that if she continues contributing the way she is she will at least have a comfortable retirement one day!

That's really all I hope for where other people are concerned. My brother recently started digging out of debt at the tender age of 50. He and his wife are starting to consider retirement a possibility. I still worry about their house falling down around their ears, but every step in the right direction makes their future a little brighter.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1409 on: February 22, 2020, 09:54:13 AM »

That's really all I hope for where other people are concerned. My brother recently started digging out of debt at the tender age of 50. He and his wife are starting to consider retirement a possibility. I still worry about their house falling down around their ears, but every step in the right direction makes their future a little brighter.

Better late than never certainly applies to savings/paying off debt!

I try to spread the gospel to some of my friends and some say 'well, what's the point, I can only save 50 a month anyways'. But in less than 2 years, that's more than 1000. And even a little bit of savings means you can buy a refurbished 150 quality washing machine when yours breaks down, instead of getting a 24 month payment plan @ 14% on the cheapest new machine in the shop. It allows you to take advantage of good deals on groceries. It means you can pay that speeding ticket rightaway instead of not paying and having your wages garnished & risk your job because of it. Especially when you have no savings, every single you do manage to put away or pay off in debt is extremely important. 

Fomerly known as something

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1410 on: March 05, 2020, 04:42:36 AM »
We have basically a paid intern at my office.  Because he is part time, only gets part time vacation leave (basically 7 days a year).  He had no plans for spring break so he volunteered to work at HQ on a project for the week.  Full time employees earn overtime during this week, he cannot but instead will earn comp time.  So my 20 year old co worker will get 3 extra days off this year, a full week of pay (instead of his normal 16 hours) and DC per diem of $76 a day for food while there.

dandarc

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1411 on: March 05, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »
Sounds like it might be close to a normal month's worth of compensation in 1 week - that's awesome!

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1412 on: March 05, 2020, 02:26:32 PM »
A client (who retired early in his 50s) was recently talking to me about how important retirement planning is.  I opened the mail this week to find that he sent me a personal finance book about early retirement.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1413 on: March 05, 2020, 09:28:24 PM »
A client (who retired early in his 50s) was recently talking to me about how important retirement planning is.  I opened the mail this week to find that he sent me a personal finance book about early retirement.
Good for him!    Let him know you're already working on it!

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1414 on: March 06, 2020, 10:07:30 AM »
Send a picture of you back with the mustachian salute.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #1415 on: March 06, 2020, 10:52:19 AM »
(For perspective: Last winter we had over 8 inches within a few hours, the state almost declared it an emergency, and I still got a "penalty" for not coming to work.)

Yes, it is barbaric to live in a state that would almost declare an emergency for a mere 8" of snow. Maybe if you got 24" in 24 hours it would be o.k. for them to declare an emergency. Your employer would still be right to penalize you, it was your choice not to live close enough that you could ski or snowshoe in anyway.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1416 on: March 06, 2020, 01:48:41 PM »
Good for him!    Let him know you're already working on it!

Send a picture of you back with the mustachian salute.

LOL.  I wish all my clients were this good.

Alternatepriorities

• Pencil Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #1417 on: March 06, 2020, 02:10:58 PM »
(For perspective: Last winter we had over 8 inches within a few hours, the state almost declared it an emergency, and I still got a "penalty" for not coming to work.)

Yes, it is barbaric to live in a state that would almost declare an emergency for a mere 8" of snow. Maybe if you got 24" in 24 hours it would be o.k. for them to declare an emergency. Your employer would still be right to penalize you, it was your choice not to live close enough that you could ski or snowshoe in anyway.

I don't think they officially shut anything down for the 10" of snow on monday? I did hear the mail truck and the bus service to the interior were canceled for a day. Fred Meyer's (Kroger) ran out of garlic and some vegetables because their truck got stuck and I stopped to help one guy in the ditch that night... Otherwise it was business as usual.

LennStar

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1418 on: March 07, 2020, 04:12:38 AM »
What are you guys talking about? Snow? What is that?

We officially had the warmest winter on record. Where I live we had I think 3 days where the temperature did not rise above freezing point, and most days it was several degrees above even in the night.

Ah, the good old days with February having 2 weeks of -10C or colder all around the clock...

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1419 on: March 07, 2020, 06:19:39 AM »

We officially had the warmest winter on record. Where I live we had I think 3 days where the temperature did not rise above freezing point, and most days it was several degrees above even in the night.

Ah, the good old days with February having 2 weeks of -10C or colder all around the clock...

It's scary how fast temperatures are rising. In my 30 years on this earth I have seen the changes. When I was a kid we got snow, we could skate on natural ice. I think the last 'cold' (normal) winter we've had was around 2010. That's a full decade ago. This year the zipper of my winter coat broke beyond repair and I've worn my summer coat ever since. I haven't been cold. A couple of days I've worn a scarf early in the morning but I literally haven't worn my gloves this winter or last winter.

TomTX

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1420 on: March 07, 2020, 08:30:39 AM »
I've worn my summer coat ever since.

Summer... coat? Like sunscreen?

/Texas

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1421 on: March 07, 2020, 02:51:58 PM »
I've worn my summer coat ever since.

Summer... coat? Like sunscreen?

/Texas

The thing you wear when it's warm and raining instead of when it's cold and raining!

We need sunscreen about as often as you need a summer coat....

Alternatepriorities

• Pencil Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #1422 on: March 08, 2020, 12:24:59 AM »
For those of you missing snow in your life.

This winter has actually been much close to what I remember growing up. Everyone has gotten used to the warmer winters though so there has been lots of complaining about how cold it is.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 12:27:00 AM by Alternatepriorities »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • The Best Is Yet To Come
« Reply #1423 on: March 08, 2020, 04:18:50 PM »

It's scary how fast temperatures are rising. In my 30 years on this earth I have seen the changes. When I was a kid we got snow, we could skate on natural ice. I think the last 'cold' (normal) winter we've had was around 2010. That's a full decade ago. This year the zipper of my winter coat broke beyond repair and I've worn my summer coat ever since. I haven't been cold. A couple of days I've worn a scarf early in the morning but I literally haven't worn my gloves this winter or last winter.
I was thinking just this morning how dramatically our winter weather has changed in the past 30 years since I was a kid. Winter used to mean these awesome crashing rainstorms and foggy, overcast mornings. I LOVE that weather. This winter has been a massive disappointment with maybe one month of rain and then just dry and mild. It is scary what is happening and how vulnerable we are and will become to insufficient water.

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
« Reply #1424 on: March 09, 2020, 08:32:00 PM »
co-workers unhappy that 401k contributions go in tomorrow 3/10 and not today 3/9 at COB.
had to remind them about DCA and why we switched to Guideline (and their mostly Vanguard portfolio).
Them: yeah, screw American Funds, for many reasons.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
    • The Best Is Yet To Come
« Reply #1425 on: March 09, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »
I complimented my coworker on his haircut today. He thanked me and said his wife did it. I cheered him and shared that I cut my husbands hair.