Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 982688 times)

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #1350 on: November 06, 2019, 05:25:22 AM »
Our internal accounting lady sent out instructions on how to check 401k contributions for the year, calculate how much to withhold in remaining paychecks to be able to max out for the year. Apparently some 15-20% of the 70 employees are contributing the annual max, and others putting in close to max.

When we changed our 401k provider to Guideline from AmFundz earlier this year, we made it a policy that every new employee is auto-enrolled in the 401k from Day1, and minimum 3% contribution, with auto 1% increase every calendar year.

Thanks to member posts on MMMForums, I was able to recommend Guideline as one of the alternatives (others were Employee Fiduciary and Betterment4Biz).

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1351 on: November 06, 2019, 12:27:07 PM »
I had a nice talk with a lady here today about our retirement plan.  She might be the only person I work with who is as big of a numbers geek as I am when it comes to the retirement plan.  I don't get the feeling that she's totally on board with the MMM thing, but she's definitely contributing more than anyone else around me seems to be.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1352 on: November 06, 2019, 12:49:58 PM »
I decided to look up public info on company 401ks.  I know my spouse's company has a good one, and I felt like ours wasn't.

I was right.

But, even worse, I looked at the plan total.  We have over 70 employees.  I alone have >10% of the total value in the company 401k.  Geez.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1353 on: November 06, 2019, 01:18:32 PM »
I decided to look up public info on company 401ks.  I know my spouse's company has a good one, and I felt like ours wasn't.

I was right.

But, even worse, I looked at the plan total.  We have over 70 employees.  I alone have >10% of the total value in the company 401k.  Geez.

What an interesting metric. I'm going to see if I can figure out my ratio.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1354 on: November 07, 2019, 12:41:12 AM »

I was right.

How did you find the public info?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1355 on: November 07, 2019, 03:53:37 AM »

I was right.

Haha, shocking to find out so few people follow the good example. Ever considered printing that statistic out and hanging it up beside the coffee machine?

I sponsor a local club on a yearly basis, because they prepare ski trails around our cabin. Once on a yearly meeting in that village, they told us publicly which amount they had received that year. I had paid 25% of that amount. And I hadn't paid extremely much, but most of the others had obviously not paid at all or very little.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1356 on: November 07, 2019, 06:10:43 AM »

I was right.

How did you find the public info?

Same question - the best I can find is the public information for the mutual fund itself. The one I invest in through work has net assets over $100 billion, so I would love to have 10% of that.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1357 on: November 07, 2019, 08:25:33 AM »
Often, the total plan value is (relatively) easily accessible, or even published and mailed to each participant.  If you know the value of your own account, it's easy to see what % your own. :)

udpokey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1358 on: November 07, 2019, 11:15:44 AM »
You can also search the 5500 filing for any plan on the DOL/Efast website - https://www.efast.dol.gov

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1359 on: November 07, 2019, 06:52:29 PM »
You can also search the 5500 filing for any plan on the DOL/Efast website - https://www.efast.dol.gov

Poo, can't find any of mine - all governmental plans.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1360 on: November 08, 2019, 02:23:13 PM »
If you want to nerd out on 401(k) filings, see Brightscope's site. They scrape all the Form 5500 data and then assigns ratings based on how they compare to the ones offered by other peer employers in the same industries. It may come in handy for someone comparing multiple job offers.

BFive55

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1361 on: November 13, 2019, 02:55:31 PM »
At work they're really big on out 457. During orientation they were like "if you ignore everything else today and only learn one thing, open a 457 right now" and they handed out the paperwork.

During training, a lot of the people who have been with the government for decades, will generally start out with "just some advise, invest in your 457".

One guy today who has been with the government agency I work for said "I wish I'd put more into my 457" and suggested putting in a percentage so all pay raises and overtimes, etc. is a straight percentage.

I really like the insistence on savings.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1362 on: November 14, 2019, 06:34:11 AM »
Found out that one coworker is saving around 50% of her take home pay. Three coworkers asked me for FIRE resources. Another one has multiple rental properties generating income. One is set to retire at 50 with over $5 million in investments. I’m going to have to start an employee club/meet up at work. I thought I was doing well, but I’m apparently just middle of the pack here.

insufFIcientfunds

• Stubble
« Reply #1363 on: November 15, 2019, 08:04:04 AM »
CW who works out of town who wears old clothes, drives old car, said he and his wife are retiring in a few years. I said I was happy for him and he said he should just do it now. He slipped his wife makes 7 figures. Not 6, 7. Hardest working dude here. Crazy.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1364 on: November 15, 2019, 10:27:14 AM »
CW who works out of town who wears old clothes, drives old car, said he and his wife are retiring in a few years. I said I was happy for him and he said he should just do it now. He slipped his wife makes 7 figures. Not 6, 7. Hardest working dude here. Crazy.
Wow, and I thought I married well!

I did marry well. :)

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1365 on: November 15, 2019, 01:14:37 PM »

The former head of our department who stepped down a couple years ago and now "just" works both as a MD and a principal investigator (very productive and successful), I heard through the grapevine has a wife with a profession (possibly a business) of her own who makes many times what he makes. Maybe that's why he seems so cheerful all the time?

firemondays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1366 on: November 18, 2019, 09:10:58 PM »
One of my coworkers and I got into a discussion about food prices today.  He lives in downtown Bellevue, WA and works pretty nearby.  He and his wife spend $40 a week on groceries.  "Well, we're vegan."  Good on them!

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1367 on: November 21, 2019, 09:58:16 PM »
Thanks for posting this site!  I FIRE'd 3 years ago but still have a significant portion of my portfolio in my old company's 401k.  I left it there because I thought the options and fees were pretty good.  Old Company's plan rates around 83 and the biggest ding was participation rate.  Plan options and fees were top ratings.  Glad to have my gut feeling confirmed!

I figure I can always move money out of that 401k but I can never add it again.

If you want to nerd out on 401(k) filings, see Brightscope's site. They scrape all the Form 5500 data and then assigns ratings based on how they compare to the ones offered by other peer employers in the same industries. It may come in handy for someone comparing multiple job offers.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1368 on: November 22, 2019, 12:13:36 AM »
I have a new youngish coworker who moved over long distance to work with us. He just bought himself his first apartment that he now had to fill up. I suggested our version of Graig's list. He still had some furniture in his old place though. I suggested that it might be expensive to transport cheap furniture here. But a friend was going over there and will take his stuff back. My coworker had already sold all his big stuff, like bed and TV, so that they don't need to be transported. It sounded promising that he is thinking smartly and was interested in being stuff second hand and a little Ikea.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 11:29:03 AM by Linea_Norway »

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #1369 on: November 22, 2019, 07:42:21 AM »
It's autumn and the nut-trees are dropping their nuts. My boss brought in a large bag of walnuts, for us to share and take home; a colleague brought in 2 bags of hazelnuts for same.

honeybbq

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1370 on: November 22, 2019, 10:49:28 AM »
One of my coworkers and I got into a discussion about food prices today.  He lives in downtown Bellevue, WA and works pretty nearby.  He and his wife spend $40 a week on groceries.  "Well, we're vegan."  Good on them!

Good heavens. I'd have thought a bag of rice and a bag of apples costs $40 in Bellevue. Quite impressive. I forgot my lunch yesterday and got some tofu and noodles at a take out place and it was $15.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1371 on: November 22, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »
It's autumn and the nut-trees are dropping their nuts. My boss brought in a large bag of walnuts, for us to share and take home; a colleague brought in 2 bags of hazelnuts for same.

where do you live?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1372 on: November 22, 2019, 01:47:35 PM »
In October, someone brought weekly a box full of starfruit. It'd be empty by end of day. Didn't know my fellow Floridians like to eat it. That person grows good starfruit. Great there's no waste.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2019, 02:03:55 PM by jinga nation »

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1373 on: November 23, 2019, 07:33:55 AM »
In October, someone brought weekly a box full of starfruit. It'd be empty by end of day. Didn't know my fellow Floridians like to eat it. That person grows good starfruit. Great there's no waste.

Fresh starfruit is fabulous. Unfortunately once I had some, I can no longer tolerate the grocery-store starfruit here in Texas.

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #1374 on: November 23, 2019, 09:37:58 PM »

where do you live?
Autumn? Northern hemisphere.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #1375 on: November 25, 2019, 03:55:27 AM »
North-Western Europe. Lovely sunny autumn this year; I've been cycling to work every day.

I work 4days/wk, 9km commute 1-way, electric bicycle where I only use the motor on 1 steep climb. My boss lives in my village and also makes the commute by electric bicycle unless she has to travel somewhere during the day. One of my colleagues commutes by train; the other will also come by electric bicycle as soon as his wife has given birth and he no longer has to be able to get home quickly-quickly.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1376 on: November 25, 2019, 10:31:05 AM »

where do you live?

The house we rented when we first moved down to NC had a (thin shell) pecan tree in the side yard. Some years almost no nuts, some years enough to share the bounty. I now live where there are no nut trees : (It makes me want to try to grow nut trees, but if I did I'd have to have a dog in the yard to keep the squirrels away (the squirrels are crazy rapacious).

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1377 on: November 25, 2019, 10:38:12 AM »

where do you live?

The house we rented when we first moved down to NC had a (thin shell) pecan tree in the side yard. Some years almost no nuts, some years enough to share the bounty. I now live where there are no nut trees : (It makes me want to try to grow nut trees, but if I did I'd have to have a dog in the yard to keep the squirrels away (the squirrels are crazy rapacious).
Haha, so are ours. When my Stepdaughter was visiting from Colorado, she was amazed at how big and fat they are. And my stupid dogs bark at them constantly, which is yet another reason to hate all of them. Bah humbug!

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1378 on: November 25, 2019, 10:53:31 AM »

where do you live?

I grew up surrounded by pecan trees. They were so annoying. Last week, I bought some pecans to make a pecan pie, and I regret not collecting and selling those pecans all that time, because dang they're expensive.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1379 on: December 04, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »
One of the security guards, a man in his late fifties, I guess:

When I repair my own car and it goes well, I feel as if I have won the lottery!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1380 on: December 04, 2019, 01:05:19 PM »

You can eat vegan cheap or expensively, and it's easy to spend expensively, so good for them!

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #1381 on: December 11, 2019, 05:45:58 PM »
We had our first "snowfall" today (less than an inch overnight/into the morning commute), and a worker and I were discussing snowstorms. Our workplace has a extremely barbaric attitude to calling out during inclement weather. (For perspective: Last winter we had over 8 inches within a few hours, the state almost declared it an emergency, and I still got a "penalty" for not coming to work.)

Me: Yeah, I've heard this winter is predicted to be really bad in terms of snowfall.
CW: Yeah, I don't really know how I'm going to manage being 30 minutes away now. My parents have been encouraging me to get a new car, one that's better in snow, but mine's almost paid off in August, and I don't want another four years of car payments.

Me: (internally) yessssssss!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1382 on: December 12, 2019, 07:12:07 AM »

You can eat vegan cheap or expensively, and it's easy to spend expensively, so good for them!

New vegans are typically the ones that will fall into the expensive category, especially if they go cold-tofurkey. Experienced ones have figured out that it is pretty easy to keep it cheap.

Alas, we could not give up cheese and gave up on the vegan experiment despite every cardiologist recommendation. Then my wife came down with a 9 month bug and the vegetarianism went straight out the window too.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1383 on: December 12, 2019, 11:09:32 AM »
During lunch (the boss paid for it), my co-worker said that he's going to work on his annual maintenance of his daily driver European sports car over the Christmas/NY holidays. 195k miles, ~14 years and still driving well. He said he'd have never have kept it past warranty if he didn't know how to work on cars.
The man is a champ at fixing anything, including old European coffee machines.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1384 on: December 12, 2019, 11:53:38 AM »
Two different people announced their imminent departures from work this week.  Both are taking jobs that will be significant pay cuts, but even more significant stress cuts.  I know one has been at leasst semi-mustachian for awhile.  But I had no idea about the other one. 

utaca

• Stubble
« Reply #1385 on: December 12, 2019, 02:01:20 PM »
"All I want for Christmas is a Cyber Truck."
"Oh, did you know that our colleague __________ already pre-ordered one?"

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1386 on: December 12, 2019, 04:34:30 PM »
"All I want for Christmas is a Cyber Truck."
"Oh, did you know that our colleague __________ already pre-ordered one?"

But did he order the cyber nuts?

https://www.motor1.com/news/385679/tesla-cybertruck-nuts-happen/

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1387 on: December 14, 2019, 02:18:36 AM »
Discussion with co-worker today about former high level executive who retired from our government agency next year.  He retired from a post where one could easily land a high level executive role in a private company while pulling his government pension. 

Turns out instead former high level executive is currently crewing on a charter fishing boat in FL "learning the craft" so he can captain his own boat should he choose.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1388 on: December 15, 2019, 04:18:09 PM »
Discussion with co-worker today about former high level executive who retired from our government agency next year.  He retired from a post where one could easily land a high level executive role in a private company while pulling his government pension. 

Turns out instead former high level executive is currently crewing on a charter fishing boat in FL "learning the craft" so he can captain his own boat should he choose.

Sweet!

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1389 on: December 20, 2019, 01:56:21 PM »
Not overheard at work but what I did:
Got on the benefits committee at my employer last year, proposed a 401k switch to a better provider from the current AmFunds.
Was given time to research and write a data-driven paper with my findings and recommendations.
Submitted to management after committee peer review.
New corporate Veep asked me to brief her late last year.
Meanwhile, heard about Guideline on MMM Forums, proposed it as an additional/late recommendation.
HR/Benefits team sat with current and prospective providers in Q1 2019, Guideline top in every category.
On 4/1 company announced the switch will happen at the end of the month.
I had to tell them this wasn't an April Fool's Day trick, this was the real thing.
Is there any way you would be willing to share your presentation? I am with Voya at work and it is absolute garbage. I’d love to bring something to my bosses to make a change that would benefit everyone.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1390 on: December 20, 2019, 02:12:59 PM »
Got on the benefits committee at my employer last year, proposed a 401k switch to a better provider from the current AmFunds.
Was given time to research and write a data-driven paper with my findings and recommendations.
Meanwhile, heard about Guideline on MMM Forums, proposed it as an additional/late recommendation.
HR/Benefits team sat with current and prospective providers in Q1 2019, Guideline top in every category.
I had to tell them this wasn't an April Fool's Day trick, this was the real thing.
Is there any way you would be willing to share your presentation? I am with Voya at work and it is absolute garbage. I’d love to bring something to my bosses to make a change that would benefit everyone.

I'd love to see it too! I am the HR manager at my company, and we have NO retirement plan of any kind. I've been talking to my boss (the owner) about it, but he's afraid of the cost. If you could share your ammo, that would be awesome.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1391 on: December 23, 2019, 08:46:09 AM »

I'd love to see it too! I am the HR manager at my company, and we have NO retirement plan of any kind. I've been talking to my boss (the owner) about it, but he's afraid of the cost. If you could share your ammo, that would be awesome.

for @solon and @lexde  and others.

sanitized versions attached. Errors and Omissions Expected.

Appendix document created by me, after work, on lack of sleep.
Spreadsheet created by my Veep. She's not a financial analyst but did a good job tracking inputs.

If anyone has complaints or nitpicks, too bad.

If anyone needs clarification, please ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question. We're all here to learn and share.

Happy Holidays! May this lead you to better retirement options in 20/20.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 09:22:05 AM by jinga nation »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1392 on: December 25, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »
What a nice Holiday Gift to our community! May it ripple outward and lift some more boats.

lexde

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1393 on: January 01, 2020, 11:02:49 AM »

for @solon and @lexde  and others.

sanitized versions attached. Errors and Omissions Expected.

Appendix document created by me, after work, on lack of sleep.
Spreadsheet created by my Veep. She's not a financial analyst but did a good job tracking inputs.

If anyone has complaints or nitpicks, too bad.

If anyone needs clarification, please ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question. We're all here to learn and share.

Happy Holidays! May this lead you to better retirement options in 20/20.
Thank you so much! I hope that I can do something good with this information and I will certainly update you if that's the case!

Dee

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1394 on: January 13, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »
One guy at work I suspect is an MMM-er. He will occasionally book a boardroom and invite everyone on the team to show up for lunch of they are available. He'll bring a little something to share like timbits or homemade muffins. He did this last week and noticed that he seemed to be the only one who'd bought his lunch from the cafeteria. (I think he usually brings it from home.) Now, a few people fessed up that their "brown-bag" or "from home" lunches were leftovers from take-out the night before, or contained something from a lunch-bar at a grocery store. So not totally mustachian, but really not bad!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1395 on: February 20, 2020, 07:27:14 AM »
Not at work, but from friends who'd moved to a new city a couple months ago:

F1: "So do you guys often go out for food to explore all the options here??"
F2: "To be honest, no, we often are all excited about trying places but then once it's evening we get lazy and cook our own food rather than go out"

Wohooo, eating out is called the LAZY option here people. Hail to these mustachians :)

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1396 on: February 20, 2020, 07:30:31 AM »
DH's new colleague bought a house and is looking for a second roommate after finding one within the first week.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1397 on: February 20, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
Not at work, but from friends who'd moved to a new city a couple months ago:

F1: "So do you guys often go out for food to explore all the options here??"
F2: "To be honest, no, we often are all excited about trying places but then once it's evening we get lazy and cook our own food rather than go out"

Wohooo, eating out is called the LAZY option here people. Hail to these mustachians :)

Oooh I totally get that! When I get home from work the last thing I want to do is get on my bike and go to a restaurant, or order food in and wait for it to arrive and hope it's as good as it looks in the picture. I just want to put my prepped meal in the microwave, change out of my work clothes and START EATING.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1398 on: February 20, 2020, 07:06:34 PM »
One of my employees today asked for help getting set up to contribute to her 401k! She has been with the team for a little over a year now, but was going through a divorce with 3 young boys and didn't have the funds previously to start saving. I could tell she was completely new to investing, so I kept things simple to start and kept her in the target date fund she already had around $4k in from her previous employment at our company - actually not a terrible fund with decent fees. She was even willing to enroll in the auto increase feature to eventually get up to 20%! I was really proud of her, she has been through a LOT this past year, and it's obvious she cares about her future. She may not be on the path to early retirement, but I have no doubts that if she continues contributing the way she is she will at least have a comfortable retirement one day!

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1399 on: February 20, 2020, 07:22:16 PM »
One of my employees today asked for help getting set up to contribute to her 401k! She has been with the team for a little over a year now, but was going through a divorce with 3 young boys and didn't have the funds previously to start saving. I could tell she was completely new to investing, so I kept things simple to start and kept her in the target date fund she already had around $4k in from her previous employment at our company - actually not a terrible fund with decent fees. She was even willing to enroll in the auto increase feature to eventually get up to 20%! I was really proud of her, she has been through a LOT this past year, and it's obvious she cares about her future. She may not be on the path to early retirement, but I have no doubts that if she continues contributing the way she is she will at least have a comfortable retirement one day!

That's really all I hope for where other people are concerned. My brother recently started digging out of debt at the tender age of 50. He and his wife are starting to consider retirement a possibility. I still worry about their house falling down around their ears, but every step in the right direction makes their future a little brighter.