Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 982738 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #1300 on: July 14, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »
Also, the rule of law in other countries isn't as strong as we are used to in the US (I know, I know, you can see my opinions about Trump in other threads). But seriously, the culture of bribery, etc., is far more common in other places. And not having the standing of citizenship as we do here.
Citation needed.

There are just as many countries with stronger rule of law as there are with weaker rule of law. Half of Europe is stronger than the US (some places much stronger), but then the other half is weaker. Asia is a very mixed bag, towards less rule of law to be fair. The US is middle of the road, there are many issues with the judicial system that we often laugh about where I live.

Very fair comments.

In the USA, the rule of law is for people without lots of money.   Lots of money tends to smooth things, either making them go away completely or getting them minimized to a nuisance instead of a life-changing sentence in prison.   And, of course, lots of money makes it harder for the prosecution to get a conviction when they actually decide to go after someone with lots of money.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1301 on: July 19, 2019, 02:00:36 AM »
Also, the rule of law in other countries isn't as strong as we are used to in the US (I know, I know, you can see my opinions about Trump in other threads). But seriously, the culture of bribery, etc., is far more common in other places. And not having the standing of citizenship as we do here.
Citation needed.

There are just as many countries with stronger rule of law as there are with weaker rule of law. Half of Europe is stronger than the US (some places much stronger), but then the other half is weaker. Asia is a very mixed bag, towards less rule of law to be fair. The US is middle of the road, there are many issues with the judicial system that we often laugh about where I live.

Very fair comments.

In the USA, the rule of law is for people without lots of money.   Lots of money tends to smooth things, either making them go away completely or getting them minimized to a nuisance instead of a life-changing sentence in prison.   And, of course, lots of money makes it harder for the prosecution to get a conviction when they actually decide to go after someone with lots of money.

Some of us in other countries also don't have to worry about our police shooting us dead.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1302 on: July 31, 2019, 01:39:44 PM »
Citation needed.

It's fair to ask for this. I went to the Rule of Law project, and found a report here: https://worldjusticeproject.org/our-work/research-and-data/wjp-rule-law-index-2019#&gid=1&pid=2

it appears to be updated annually.

And, indeed, they rank the US highly, but not at the top, and it's moving lower rapidly. I wonder why.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1303 on: August 23, 2019, 05:39:17 PM »
During a TSP seminar that we made our new hires sit though (they were hired 4 days ago).

New Hire:  I want to pay off my student loans ASAP.
Me:  You know we have a program that pays some of that.
New Hire:  What???
Me:  E-mails some not crusty old hair bags and gives new hire the forms that she needs to look at.

Dragonswan

• Bristles
« Reply #1304 on: September 04, 2019, 03:00:54 PM »
Me:  E-mails some not crusty old hair bags and gives new hire the forms that she needs to look at.

Wow, these still exist in the bureaucratic wild?!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1305 on: September 05, 2019, 05:58:55 AM »
During a TSP seminar that we made our new hires sit though (they were hired 4 days ago).

I'm kind of jealous that you have a TSP seminar.  I somehow never got assigned to a new employee orientation class (shh....if TPTB find out I'll have to take it even though I earned my 10 year pin last month).  I hear that they don't really talk much about the TSP, but did mention the mass transportation benefits program that I wish I'd known about 10 years ago.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1306 on: September 05, 2019, 07:18:18 PM »

I'm kind of jealous that you have a TSP seminar.  I somehow never got assigned to a new employee orientation class (shh....if TPTB find out I'll have to take it even though I earned my 10 year pin last month).  I hear that they don't really talk much about the TSP, but did mention the mass transportation benefits program that I wish I'd known about 10 years ago.

The Seminar was general for all workers not just new hires, we just told them to sit in the conference room and listen now.  (It was a webinar in my office as it is held in DC but boradcast via skype to "the field")

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1307 on: September 10, 2019, 01:34:16 PM »
A broker in my country has a promotion that if you buy some stocks with them, they give you €100. You can even buy a cheap stock and sell it as soon as you get the bonus money. I got some (young, 20s) coworkers to sign up and now they're super excited about their little stock wins/losses. They've started asking questions about how to invest their free €100 so it can make them rich lol :p I'm working on nudging them to index funds. The €10 investment in 'cheap random stock' turned out to be a good way to nudge them to some free money and an account in the first place though.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1308 on: September 11, 2019, 10:43:03 AM »
mostly PTF, but I do know an older co-worker who is looking longingly at retirement.  We had a brief but delightful conversation in which I explained you don't need to work full time (or at all) until you reach the age at which you intend to collect social security as long you've met the 40 credit requirements and have something to live off of in the mean time.  The next morning the co-worker let me know they'd done their homework overnight and will be cutting back on hours in the near future and retiring as soon as they can get their spouse onboard.  We agreed to a pact of secrecy about his (and my) timelines to FIRE.  I'm going to miss him when he's gone.
Hmmm, maybe he'll miss you when you're gone. You going first is a fine result as well.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1309 on: September 12, 2019, 05:37:51 AM »
mostly PTF, but I do know an older co-worker who is looking longingly at retirement.  We had a brief but delightful conversation in which I explained you don't need to work full time (or at all) until you reach the age at which you intend to collect social security as long you've met the 40 credit requirements and have something to live off of in the mean time.  The next morning the co-worker let me know they'd done their homework overnight and will be cutting back on hours in the near future and retiring as soon as they can get their spouse onboard.  We agreed to a pact of secrecy about his (and my) timelines to FIRE.  I'm going to miss him when he's gone.

Fantastic, you have made them see the light!

UncleX

• Stubble
« Reply #1310 on: September 12, 2019, 06:24:32 AM »
A broker in my country has a promotion that if you buy some stocks with them, they give you €100. You can even buy a cheap stock and sell it as soon as you get the bonus money.
Thanks! Had seen this but didn't look into it as I expected there to be a catch or something. Will have a look now.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1311 on: September 12, 2019, 07:50:38 AM »
One of my mature coworkers (I am bad at guessing ages, but he could be around 50-ish), proudly told me yesterday that his car is 16 years old. When I asked about the mileage, I found out it had driven a lot shorter than our 10 year old car. But still...

I also heard a conversation at lunch where people talked about "to good to go" apps and taking home bags of peanuts that are over the date and still edible. They all sounded interested and positive to eating food when it is still edible, despite the date on it.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1312 on: September 12, 2019, 07:56:39 AM »
I also heard a conversation at lunch where people talked about "to good to go" apps and taking home bags of peanuts that are over the date and still edible. They all sounded interested and positive to eating food when it is still edible, despite the date on it.

I've never heard of this.  Does anyone know if the US has any of these programs?

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1313 on: September 12, 2019, 08:53:03 AM »
A broker in my country has a promotion that if you buy some stocks with them, they give you €100. You can even buy a cheap stock and sell it as soon as you get the bonus money.
Thanks! Had seen this but didn't look into it as I expected there to be a catch or something. Will have a look now.

Great! Maybe I should also cross-post it in the Dutch thread.

UncleX

• Stubble
« Reply #1314 on: September 12, 2019, 11:38:41 AM »
Great! Maybe I should also cross-post it in the Dutch thread.
I think you should!

Davnasty

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1315 on: September 12, 2019, 02:08:30 PM »
Hmmm, maybe he'll miss you when you're gone. You going first is a fine result as well.

That would be fun (I'm the second youngest in the office), but I think the info I provided knocked a few years off his time-line.  He was pretty much only working because he thought he had to inorder to be able to claim SS at the older age.

Whether it's because of SS or just not knowing how much you need to retire, I've heard a number of stories like this where someone finds out that they could already be retired. That's got to be some of the best but also most unsettling news you can get.

"Wait, I can retire right now? Horray!"

"Wait, I didn't need to work for the last 3 years? Oh..."

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1316 on: September 12, 2019, 03:53:53 PM »
Coworker and I recently had a discussion comparing our real estate investments and discussing savings rate. They’re planning to buy two more rental properties by the end of the year. We want to buy one more. Because we’re expats, we also talked about the best countries in which to buy property. They favour south east Asia. I favour my home country. It was fun and added an interesting layer to the discussion.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1317 on: September 13, 2019, 09:02:26 AM »

That would be fun (I'm the second youngest in the office), but I think the info I provided knocked a few years off his time-line.  He was pretty much only working because he thought he had to inorder to be able to claim SS at the older age.

Whether it's because of SS or just not knowing how much you need to retire, I've heard a number of stories like this where someone finds out that they could already be retired. That's got to be some of the best but also most unsettling news you can get.

Agreed - I found it mind blowing that he was that close and hadn't done any research / planning.  It made me want to run around the office shouting "wake up people"

Beware of awakening the sheeple. https://xkcd.com/1013/

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1318 on: September 13, 2019, 12:33:50 PM »

Agreed - I found it mind blowing that he was that close and hadn't done any research / planning.  It made me want to run around the office shouting "wake up people"

Anytime the conversation with other young coworkers turns to finances, I say that I'm saving half of my income with the intent of being able to retire in 10-15 years. No one has been terribly interested so far :(

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1319 on: September 14, 2019, 05:57:57 PM »
For our company retreat, employees can volunteer to lead breakout sessions on whatever they like. Most people do shopping/sight seeing outings, craft beer, baking, yoga, sewing, etc. Just for kicks, because I’m extremely introverted and have two left thumbs and I do not like the social events or the crafty events, I put in a proposal to discuss the FIRE movement and talk about ways to calculate when you can retire. I said I would lead the group if there were a minimum of two people (one person being myself). Imagine my surprise when I checked the sign up sheet and realized my session was full! Apparently there are a lot of people at work who are interested in personal finance.

Now I actually have to prepare a presentation instead of just sitting around chatting with my friend about index investing and our rental properties.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1320 on: September 14, 2019, 07:20:15 PM »
For our company retreat, employees can volunteer to lead breakout sessions on whatever they like. Most people do shopping/sight seeing outings, craft beer, baking, yoga, sewing, etc. Just for kicks, because I’m extremely introverted and have two left thumbs and I do not like the social events or the crafty events, I put in a proposal to discuss the FIRE movement and talk about ways to calculate when you can retire. I said I would lead the group if there were a minimum of two people (one person being myself). Imagine my surprise when I checked the sign up sheet and realized my session was full! Apparently there are a lot of people at work who are interested in personal finance.

Now I actually have to prepare a presentation instead of just sitting around chatting with my friend about index investing and our rental properties.

Sounds like it should be crossposted to Mustachian People Problems ;)

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1321 on: September 15, 2019, 01:37:58 AM »

Sounds like it should be crossposted to Mustachian People Problems ;)

Good idea. :)

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1322 on: September 15, 2019, 04:29:52 AM »
Two of my colleagues (or more... these are just the ones I know about) outsource their ironing. In my innocence, I didn't even know that was a thing.

Apparently it just takes too long.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1323 on: September 15, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »
Ironing does take too long, which is why we don’t do it. We don’t do it by not buying or wearing clothes that require ironing.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1324 on: September 15, 2019, 09:50:06 AM »
Ironing does take too long, which is why we don’t do it. We don’t do it by not buying or wearing clothes that require ironing.

We do this too. DH has a lot of non iron shirts. But also hanging his shirts up to dry on a clothes hanger, instead of putting it in the tumble dry, makes them almost as flat as ironed.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1325 on: September 15, 2019, 10:21:50 AM »
Two of my colleagues (or more... these are just the ones I know about) outsource their ironing. In my innocence, I didn't even know that was a thing.

Don't you want the Antimustachian work thread, not to Anti-Antimustachian one? https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work-2/

Mellow Mallow

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1326 on: September 15, 2019, 12:25:23 PM »

Don't you want the Antimustachian work thread, not to Anti-Antimustachian one? https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work-2/

Sorry. Got confused.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #1327 on: September 15, 2019, 07:27:02 PM »

The key is to get a remote job, then you don't have to wear clothes.  Mostly joking, but I do not wear pants 95% of the time.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1328 on: September 17, 2019, 02:09:00 PM »

The key is to get a remote job, then you don't have to wear clothes.  Mostly joking, but I do not wear pants 95% of the time.

I mean, any day I can spend in PJs in front of a fireplace is a good day. Work or no work.

afterthedark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1329 on: September 18, 2019, 02:19:31 AM »

I mean, any day I can spend in PJs in front of a fireplace is a good day. Work or no work.

My brain got confused converting American meanings into British and subtracted instead. For a moment I was thinking joleran wasn’t wearing anything at all from the waist down.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1330 on: September 18, 2019, 04:06:09 AM »

Friend of mine once said he had a skype meeting wearing a shirt but not wearing pants. They asked him to fetch some numbers which he reeled of out of memory, when they insisted that he fetch the paper document from his files he basically said that they should fire him if they didn't believe his memory and that he'd forward a scan of the document after the meeting. He did send the scan and was correct in his memory, they never asked again :D

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1331 on: September 18, 2019, 08:53:41 AM »

Friend of mine once said he had a skype meeting wearing a shirt but not wearing pants. They asked him to fetch some numbers which he reeled of out of memory, when they insisted that he fetch the paper document from his files he basically said that they should fire him if they didn't believe his memory and that he'd forward a scan of the document after the meeting. He did send the scan and was correct in his memory, they never asked again :D

I had project review meetings at 0500. I took my laptop home and set it up. Fortunately, our laptops specifically did NOT have cameras, since we had to take them into no-camera zones.
0500, and I'm not in PJ's listening in on the phone and ready to do my 5 minutes sometime during the next two hours.  It's nice to be able to putter around in the kitchen naked and get paid for it. 
Being FIREd is still much better.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #1332 on: September 24, 2019, 04:30:34 AM »
I have a new job with a small semi-governmental non-profit. I am the third person here, next week number 4 starts, and then we are complete :) I cannot describe what company I work for, as it's very identifiable. My colleagues here are very environmentally conscious, have their own veg patch behind their home, commute by train or electric bike, bring their own lunch, are very much involved in their community, even though two of them did not grow up where they are currently living. We don't discuss personal money,  but judging by the way they dress and travel, I'd say we all have a good grasp of it.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1333 on: October 20, 2019, 07:52:08 AM »
Talking with two of my closest work friends as I consider leaving a job - turns out both are massive savers.

Hah.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1334 on: October 21, 2019, 01:40:49 AM »
I have a new job with a small semi-governmental non-profit. I am the third person here, next week number 4 starts, and then we are complete :) I cannot describe what company I work for, as it's very identifiable. My colleagues here are very environmentally conscious, have their own veg patch behind their home, commute by train or electric bike, bring their own lunch, are very much involved in their community, even though two of them did not grow up where they are currently living. We don't discuss personal money,  but judging by the way they dress and travel, I'd say we all have a good grasp of it.

Nice to be in a work environment with people that are a bit like-minded.
I have a co-worker who doesn't like to throw away food, and another few who are good savers. But many are just the usual spendypants.
We all get a credit check when we get hired, and again every 5 years, so no one has a worst case debt situation. Still, I am the only one who spends summer vacations in a tent.

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #1335 on: October 21, 2019, 05:21:12 AM »
I just bought 2 tickets for Hans Zimmer in concert (symphonic) at €65 each, which to me is a huge amount to spend on a night out. We will send dds (8 and 11) to sleepovers with friends, saving babysitting costs. We will have food and drink in the car before and after the event.

My colleagues tell me they also think this is a lovely rare outing; they usually attend local theatre and school performances, or street parties (where they are in the organising committee).

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1336 on: October 21, 2019, 01:50:12 PM »
We were all briefing the CFO last week about the auto market, and he stopped, and--as an aside--mentioned that he probably was going to need to replace his current car soon.

And then, he added, "You know, I have never bought a new car. I just couldn't make myself swallow that depreciation on the first year." My employer is a large enough company that his salary is probably public, and certain seven digits.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1337 on: October 21, 2019, 02:26:25 PM »
One of my later contracts became intolerable and I gave notice. I was pretty blasι about leaving and mentioned a sabbatical of unknown length. My manager picked up on this code and sighed, "I only have 4 years left to go myself." He was in his 40s and I definitely picked up a mustachian vibe from him.

Here's hoping you've made it, S., and you're now enjoying Monday mornings without a much too long stand up.

Wrenchturner

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1338 on: October 21, 2019, 06:19:53 PM »
I just bought 2 tickets for Hans Zimmer in concert (symphonic) at €65 each, which to me is a huge amount to spend on a night out. We will send dds (8 and 11) to sleepovers with friends, saving babysitting costs. We will have food and drink in the car before and after the event.

My colleagues tell me they also think this is a lovely rare outing; they usually attend local theatre and school performances, or street parties (where they are in the organising committee).
Going to the symphony is never a waste of money.  Imagine how amazing it would have been two hundred years ago!

Siebrie

• Stubble
« Reply #1339 on: October 22, 2019, 04:03:52 AM »
Hans Zimmer is the guy who composed the film music for Pirates of the Caribbean (and many other films), youtube shows me that there will be about 50 people in the orchestra, 30 people in the choir, and many people in support. For the price I'm paying, it's like giving them 50 cents each for a 2-hour show! It's cheap!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1340 on: October 22, 2019, 05:49:17 AM »
co-worker1 never buys a new car. always a $5k car that he fixes up.
his son works in an auto parts store and also fixes cars as a side business.
other co-workers who live close to co-worker1's son are always demanding the son's auto services; he has a reputation for getting the parts at a discount, charging a fair price, and the service is reliable.
the son also buys cars from store customers when he senses a deal. he fixes them up and re-sells at a fair markup.
most of my immediate co-workers either buy used cars, or buy new and keep them for a very long time.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1341 on: October 25, 2019, 08:33:55 AM »
We were all briefing the CFO last week about the auto market, and he stopped, and--as an aside--mentioned that he probably was going to need to replace his current car soon.

And then, he added, "You know, I have never bought a new car. I just couldn't make myself swallow that depreciation on the first year." My employer is a large enough company that his salary is probably public, and certain seven digits.

Nice.  I am so used to hearing other attorneys talk about their expensive cars that it's boring to hear about the new Maserati or Porsche by now.  But I had a rare conversation this week at a lawyer event with two attorneys who, like me, drive older cars.  One was driving a nearly-10-year-old Kia, and the other was in a 1994 Chevy.  I'm in a 2008 Honda Odyssey.  It was refreshing and actually surprising not to be driving the oldest car at this type of gathering, to say the least.

FIREbird

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1342 on: November 01, 2019, 01:46:18 PM »
A few months ago I heard some office murmurings about a particular co-worker who works part-time. The water cooler gossip was that this man is really into FIRE-type principles, and that he's barely every in the office because he's usually off hiking or traveling to exotic locations. I was finally able to meet this guy, and after I mentioned that I'm into personal finance optimization, his response was "I need to send you my MATLAB routine that will perform a global optimization (possibly via genetic algorithms) to optimize your retirement savings strategy and tell you when you can FIRE". He had even factored in social security, with various assumptions about future administrations and political impacts. I think he used game theory as well to play out various scenarios. I just stood there in awe of his financial wizadry....and now I think I need to ask him to post his algorithms to github or something.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1343 on: November 01, 2019, 03:31:39 PM »
Coworker emailed to ask for my health insurance options spreadsheet during open enrollment.

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #1344 on: November 04, 2019, 06:33:18 AM »
One of my clients is the owner/CEO of a marketing company with sales right around $500k/month.  He draws a conservative $120k a year for his salary.  I just found out the other day that he had been driving the oldest car of any of his employees and has gone the past 2 summers without air conditioning in that car.  Someone was finally able to convince him that he was being a little too frugal so he bought him self a low mileage civic.

I'm fine with being frugal, but I'm definitely going to have working air conditioning in my car.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1345 on: November 04, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »
A few months ago I heard some office murmurings about a particular co-worker who works part-time. The water cooler gossip was that this man is really into FIRE-type principles, and that he's barely every in the office because he's usually off hiking or traveling to exotic locations. I was finally able to meet this guy, and after I mentioned that I'm into personal finance optimization, his response was "I need to send you my MATLAB routine that will perform a global optimization (possibly via genetic algorithms) to optimize your retirement savings strategy and tell you when you can FIRE". He had even factored in social security, with various assumptions about future administrations and political impacts. I think he used game theory as well to play out various scenarios. I just stood there in awe of his financial wizadry....and now I think I need to ask him to post his algorithms to github or something.
awesome! let us know of his github repo. would love to clone/fork and play with it.
doing it in matlab means he's way into this, writing routines and subroutines, etc.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1346 on: November 05, 2019, 05:53:06 AM »
Coworker emailed to ask for my health insurance options spreadsheet during open enrollment.

I, on the other hand, walk around forcing print outs of my health insurance options spreadsheet  on my co-workers during open enrollment. They looked at me oddly the first year, but several have benefited.
At a past employer, I had medical/dental/vision costs for each year and each option and single/married/family for 7 years bring tracked on a spreadsheet. along with deductibles, HSA, FSA, etc.
I used to share this with my team to track our premium and deductible increases. Someone from corporate on the other side of the country (California) called me and said this was illegal. I simply said "provide me where this is in Federal law as we work on Federal Property. Also, if your claim is right, you need to come to MyDODworkplace, identify the file, and delete it yourself. I hope you have the appropriate clearance to do this."
I told my boss, he told me never pick up the phone if corporate calls. Just ignore. Corp/HR can find me in the employee directory and call my supervisor (him) and he'll deflect it. He was an umbrella when it rained shit from above.

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1347 on: November 05, 2019, 06:40:36 AM »
awesome! let us know of his github repo. would love to clone/fork and play with it.
doing it in matlab means he's way into this, writing routines and subroutines, etc.

color me impressed!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1348 on: November 05, 2019, 09:08:24 AM »

I, on the other hand, walk around forcing print outs of my health insurance options spreadsheet  on my co-workers during open enrollment. They looked at me oddly the first year, but several have benefited.
At a past employer, I had medical/dental/vision costs for each year and each option and single/married/family for 7 years bring tracked on a spreadsheet. along with deductibles, HSA, FSA, etc.
I used to share this with my team to track our premium and deductible increases. Someone from corporate on the other side of the country (California) called me and said this was illegal. I simply said "provide me where this is in Federal law as we work on Federal Property. Also, if your claim is right, you need to come to MyDODworkplace, identify the file, and delete it yourself. I hope you have the appropriate clearance to do this."
I told my boss, he told me never pick up the phone if corporate calls. Just ignore. Corp/HR can find me in the employee directory and call my supervisor (him) and he'll deflect it. He was an umbrella when it rained shit from above.
Illegal to speak about your very personal finances? Hard to believe.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1349 on: November 05, 2019, 09:54:54 AM »

Illegal to speak about your very personal finances? Hard to believe.
if you haven't worked for a couple of Fortune 500's and dealt with their HR, you have lived a happier life.

Corp BS is endemic. Get these young college graduates, feed them some BS, and let them run amok.

A friend of mine had a sociology degree, joined HR for the Florida Division of one of America's largest landline/fiber/cellular providers; she couldn't believe the shit HR were telling her. She kept on asking how this or that rule was legal for enforcing, HR would simply tell her to comply or quit. Workplace harassment in the HR dept. Ironic.

A former contract manager overseeing 200+ people at a govt facility told us in an all-hands meeting that pay raises aren't supposed to be discussed. I asked if that statement was approved by the legal dept and passed under which statute or federal law, and does "supposed" mean if we do talk about pay at the bar over a few beers, would that be an issue? He said he'd get back to me (he never did), he knew who I was from our weekend group bike rides.