Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981459 times)

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #950 on: September 04, 2017, 09:19:21 PM »
I have another one for this thread!

A couple of coworkers who know I'm into investing recently asked for my advice on stocks and bonds. I was very happy to share what I knew, but at the same time, I did my best not to overload them with information. I can get really geeky about this topic. I decided to be judicious and just send them a couple of well-chosen links, tailored to their estimated risk tolerance and financial awareness levels, with the offer that I am always happy to discuss with them if they have any other follow up questions. I hope they take me up on it!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #951 on: September 08, 2017, 01:44:46 AM »
At work today one of our senior anaesthetic consultants came up to me and said "I saw you on my train today". "My" train, as in, he only travels to work that way. I know how much he makes from publicly available information, and it's a 6 figure sum that starts with a 4.

I was seriously impressed. Obviously I don't know what else he spends his money on, but he gets a free carpark with his job so it's not like he'd have any difficulty parking. Yet he chooses to catch public transport.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #952 on: September 08, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »
New guy in my department, fresh out of college, interned with us for two-ish years before graduating. Has roommate and talks frequently about how some people spend insane amounts of money on frivolous things. Packs lunch, doesn't go out to eat often. Only non-mustachian thing is that he lives in a somewhat expensive part of town with a view of the river, but like I said, he has a roommate so his rent is still less than it would be if he were living on his own closer to work.

Smart kid. I've been trying to slowly teach him not to make some of the same horrible financial mistakes I made at that age.

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #953 on: September 08, 2017, 09:05:05 AM »
Not a coworker, but wasn't worth starting a brand new thread over and I couldn't think of a better place for it:

I called an old college friend last night to wish her a happy birthday, and we spent about an hour catching up since we live in different parts of the country now. As we're talking, she suddenly says, "Pencilthinstash, you're the only person I know who's going to properly appreciate this, but... I've really started getting into minimalism lately." Starts going off on how she's majorly downsized over the past couple months, only spends money on things that add value to her life now, all the wonderful things that I've been lazily advocating for the last few years. She finally gets it. Kickass.

"Even better, now that I'm not buying unnecessary crap all the time, I've been saving SO much money, and it's helping me build my debt snowball even faster. I've paid off my credit cards, my car, now I just have student loans left. Need to start looking into investing soon..." Cool, so she's got the Dave Ramsey lingo/mentality. Not bad for someone who's freshly turned 27.

Now this girl is a badass to begin with (she's a full-time nurse about to finish putting herself through grad school, holy shit), so between her starting to get her financial house in order, and simultaneously discovering minimalism... I see my shot.

"You know, I started with Dave Ramsey too, but what made my finances REALLY come together... there's this blog you should check out. The dude who writes it retired at 30." She immediately starts asking questions about how that's even possible, so I give a 30 second overview, mention my favorite analogy of how Dave Ramsey is Weight Watchers, compared to MMM as a crazy triathlete. She pulled up the blog while we're still talking, and the first words out of her mouth: "Financial freedom through badassity? WHAT?!?!?" I told her to start at the beginning of the archives and just work her way forward...

Y'all, we may have a new convert on our hands soon.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #954 on: September 08, 2017, 09:51:14 AM »

Y'all, we may have a new convert on our hands soon.

Invite her onto the forums with a proper handle so we can say hi!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #955 on: September 12, 2017, 08:34:16 PM »
Found out that one my younger employees met with the 401k advisor today. She recently turned 21 and became eligible for our employer's plan, including its standard match and a frankly ridiculous company contribution. You go girl!

availablelight

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #956 on: October 07, 2017, 10:33:44 AM »
Someone at work was talking about how they didn't shop too much, because they'd look at the thing they could buy, and the money they could continue to have, and think "Nah, I'd rather have the money."

I said that I was much the same in that, and one or two others agreed with this person when they said they didn't understand the concept of "retail therapy".

bebegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Sleepless in
« Reply #957 on: October 10, 2017, 12:29:40 PM »
Talk about millennials. We hired several young people to our department.

Me: Where do you live?
CW: In China town. I walk to the office!

Another young guy also was talking about not having a car and arranging commute around bus schedule.

Good job!

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #958 on: October 13, 2017, 03:50:21 PM »
I have found a young mustachian in the making at work, and I am thrilled! We recently hired a new young engineer. After some chatting recently, it turns out that she and her boyfriend are both quite frugal. We were talking about travel hacking one day, and she shyly made a reference to the face that her boyfriend had plans to retire early, 45 or so, and I jumped at the opening. Then last week she said he was talking about how he didn't think he really needed a car and could bike to work, cut down on carrying costs, etc. I'm pretty sure he reads here but doesn't post, from what she said. I'm super excited for her; she is young enough that there's a good chance they can FIRE much, much earlier than my husband and I will. I wish I'd had my head on so straight at that age!

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #959 on: October 18, 2017, 07:47:50 AM »
Sometime between 11:30 and 11:50 most days the whole office trickles into the conference room/lunch room.  We break out our lunches and debate who is going to win the showcase showdown on the Prices Right.

PlainsWalker

• Stubble
« Reply #960 on: October 18, 2017, 08:41:42 AM »
Open enrollment is coming up and the company is pushing the HDHP with HSA plan hard this year. A couple of coworkers have stopped by my desk to chat since they are considering switching from the regular plan to the HDHP this year and know that I am a bit of a personal finance geek. One coworker had a light go on over their head when I explained how HSAs work and how good the tax advantages are. The materials we have been given by the company don't mention that since the deductions are from payroll FICA taxes aren't paid on the contributions, nor do they mention that the account can be withdrawn from like an IRA at age 65, and there is only a tiny blurb about how there is a brokerage window but the marketing slick fails to mention that the fees subsidized by the company. It is such a slam dunk benefit that I am glad at least one other coworker is going to be making full use of it.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #961 on: October 18, 2017, 11:38:17 AM »
Open enrollment is coming up and the company is pushing the HDHP with HSA plan hard this year. A couple of coworkers have stopped by my desk to chat since they are considering switching from the regular plan to the HDHP this year and know that I am a bit of a personal finance geek. One coworker had a light go on over their head when I explained how HSAs work and how good the tax advantages are. The materials we have been given by the company don't mention that since the deductions are from payroll FICA taxes aren't paid on the contributions, nor do they mention that the account can be withdrawn from like an IRA at age 65, and there is only a tiny blurb about how there is a brokerage window but the marketing slick fails to mention that the fees subsidized by the company. It is such a slam dunk benefit that I am glad at least one other coworker is going to be making full use of it.
My husband is on an HDHP with HSA.  For the first time ever, we hit the deductible (a late night ER trip due to chest pains will do that).  He says "how much do you think that ER trip cost?"  I said "$2000".  It was $2100. I'm good.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #962 on: October 18, 2017, 11:50:08 AM »
Yesterday, going away lunch for a coworker going to some god-awful town in a flyover state.  (kidding.  A little.  Seriously housing is super cheap though.)

One of my coworkers teases my boss about how he paid cash for his super expensive $70k car, can you believe that??  My boss (who is about my age, a bit younger says), "ha, MM pays cash for her cars too, that's where I got the idea!" 

I said "well, yes, but my cars are under $20k.  People used to tease me about carrying my lunch every dya.  And one day, I just said 'You know, I did the math.  By packing my lunch, husband's lunch, and kid's lunch every day, I save X amount a week.  In 5 years it's $16,500, or a new car.  And by the way, our car was just totaled in an accident, and I paid cash for a new compact."

Anyway, boss-man points out that because of me, he started going home for lunch every day.  Saves money and allows him to decompress a bit.

Saskatchewstachian

• Stubble
« Reply #963 on: October 18, 2017, 12:09:15 PM »
Had a conversation yesterday that started with conditions of our ESPP and how there is a holdback on the shares while selling to account for taxes.

Conversation took a turn to savings and I mentioned that co-worker should calculate a savings rate as it's a great number to track.

Turns out he already calculates it and his savings rate floats are 40%! I immediately showed him The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement article so go along with his savings rate.  We share an office and when I turned around an hour later he had another article on his screen. We may have a MMM convert here folks!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #964 on: October 18, 2017, 12:42:33 PM »
Overheard my boss's peer telling his technicians how he started increasing his 401(k) contribution by $100 per week and seeing if it affects his lifestyle. He said he is already at $15k/year and the goal is to max out at $18k.

He's renovating a rental property by himself to keep costs low.

Also, he told some of the new techs that they should be living on only one spouse's income, we're federal IT contractors and things can go south any moment, so best to have emergency funds socked away.

formerlydivorcedmom

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #965 on: October 18, 2017, 01:38:31 PM »
I had lunch with a friend/former colleague today.

She and her husband have been househunting for over a year.  They live in a terrific apartment close to downtown, walkable to parks and stores, etc.  I told her I'd starting looking at houses online, because H and I have started very initial conversations about downsizing and moving somewhere more walkable (although in our current suburb).  She said, "I'm so glad to hear that!"  She doesn't actually want a house, but she said there is so much peer pressure from other friends that they've been looking anyway (but haven't bought anything because the prices for a single family home in a similar location are gag-worthy).    We had a nice long chat about the realities of home ownership and suburbia and how to handle judge-y spendypants friends.

She also mentioned that her husband is considering becoming a SAHD for a while, and casually mentioned that it would be fine financially, because they don't need his salary anyway (I think he makes $150k +).

Next time we go to lunch, I'll bring up the blog - I think she'll love it.

Mrs Hen

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #966 on: October 28, 2017, 04:59:58 AM »
Long time lurker, first post.

My employer has recently been recruiting heavily, mostly people in their early 20s at an entry point wage.

Employees are automatically registered in the company pension scheme at a 6% contribution for a 12% match.

Chatting to one girl yesterday. She's saving for a house and a wedding.  Then she said she's just increased her contribution to the maximum 9% for the match.  That's a total of 27% of her wage going into her pension at 21 years old!

So proud!

aceyou

• Handlebar Stache
    • Life is Good - Aceyou's Journal
« Reply #967 on: October 30, 2017, 07:40:39 PM »
Here's two...one is impressive, the other just makes me laugh:

#1: Coworker is and one of my best friends is a newer teacher.  Told him about MMM about two years ago.  He got hooked and now he has:
- Paid off all his student loans
- Helped pay for his wife's degree without taking a loan.
- Is currently selling his SUV for a prius.
- Moved from 45 minutes from our school to across the street.
- Saved up 25k to put a down payment on a 150k house (15 year fixed mortgage at 2.85%). 
- Has set up a 403B through school and is doing 100% VTSAX

I am SO PROUD and impressed by his ability to hit the ground running quickly. 

#2  This was family related, but yesterday was my mother-in-law's birthday.  Her sister sent her a card in the mail.  She laughed and said 10 BUCKS SAYS IT'S BLANK INSIDE:)  Sure enough.  I asked her why.  She said that her sister thinks it's more thoughtful to leave cards blank so the recipient can save a couple bucks and regift it.  I thought it was hilarious. 

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #968 on: October 30, 2017, 09:49:45 PM »
#2  This was family related, but yesterday was my mother-in-law's birthday.  Her sister sent her a card in the mail.  She laughed and said 10 BUCKS SAYS IT'S BLANK INSIDE:)  Sure enough.  I asked her why.  She said that her sister thinks it's more thoughtful to leave cards blank so the recipient can save a couple bucks and regift it.  I thought it was hilarious.

This is a thing!

My mother and her friends actually exchange cards that they think are funny for birthdays. They leave them blank and don’t seal the envelope so they can be used again. If you knew my mother, this wouldn’t surprise you.  I like the idea, but this is probably a technique that can only work in a group of longtime friends.  Can you imagine just handing one of your coworkers a blank card and then after they open it and give you a quizzical look you announce, “I left it blank, so you can use it again.”?

http://thesimpleyear.com/hauling-the-mail/

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #969 on: October 31, 2017, 04:10:59 AM »
I do this! But I put sticky backed plastic over the inside, so you can write a heartfelt message and then wipe it off for reuse. Only to people who will appreciate the sentiment though!

paddedhat

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #970 on: October 31, 2017, 08:41:02 AM »
My daughter and I exchange cards, used ones are fine. The trick is that they have to be totally unrelated to the topic, They are then reworked with a cut and paste. She started with a mother's day card she sent for my (Dad) birthday. It's a laugh, since they end up looking like a ransom note made by a little kid.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 01:53:16 PM by paddedhat »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #971 on: October 31, 2017, 10:15:49 AM »
I do this! But I put sticky backed plastic over the inside, so you can write a heartfelt message and then wipe it off for reuse. Only to people who will appreciate the sentiment though!

I do this too!  When they are done reading it, I ask for the card back.  Saves me a decent amount of coin each year.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #972 on: October 31, 2017, 11:27:53 AM »

...really? I know you said only to people who will appreciate the sentiment, but I just can't imagine how you'd start doing something like that. I only give cards to my parents now.

slipslop

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #973 on: November 01, 2017, 12:03:02 AM »
My family has a birthday card that gets passed around from member to member of the extended family. The difference is that we actually write in it. Half the fun is reading the notes to and from other family members. It shows up in my neck-of-the-woods every 5 years or so...

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #974 on: November 01, 2017, 01:37:48 AM »
My family has a birthday card that gets passed around from member to member of the extended family. The difference is that we actually write in it. Half the fun is reading the notes to and from other family members. It shows up in my neck-of-the-woods every 5 years or so...

Now that is fun!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #975 on: November 01, 2017, 02:24:22 AM »

...really? I know you said only to people who will appreciate the sentiment, but I just can't imagine how you'd start doing something like that. I only give cards to my parents now.

It started off with valentines cards with my SO (purchased the day after), as SO has been conditioned to believe that there are gifting obligations for 14th February and I think that being in an awesome relationship is the gift. I mentioned it to a friend who was ranting about the environmental cost of over-packaged pink chocolates and cards and we started doing the same thing for birthday cards. The friend thought it was funny and suggested it to a couple of mutual friends and it spread from there.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #976 on: November 01, 2017, 11:29:43 AM »
My family re-uses gift bags. Post-it notes are allowed, pen on the gift tag attached to the bag is not.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #977 on: November 01, 2017, 12:19:41 PM »
My family re-uses gift bags. Post-it notes are allowed, pen on the gift tag attached to the bag is not.

It's totally allowed!  You just cut off the gift tag when it's been written on.  After that, you make a hand-made tag or card

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #978 on: November 01, 2017, 01:28:40 PM »

It's totally allowed!  You just cut off the gift tag when it's been written on.  After that, you make a hand-made tag or card

Yup!  Usually they start out folded and blank inside, so you write on one side, gift it, and the recipient cuts off the written side of the tag to use the remaining blank side.  After that you devolve to handmade.  :)

CrabbitDutchie

• Stubble
« Reply #979 on: November 01, 2017, 02:27:44 PM »
One of my colleagues used to drive a really old car with 300K kms on the meter. His wife hates going on vacation with that car, because it has broken downa couple of time before, on a vacation. This year they discussed renting a car for the vacation. He ended up buying a new Volvo of the most expensive model. In Norway it costs more than a million Norwegian crowns, which is a lot of dollars (>110K).

Maybe if he keeps driving it forever, like his previous car, it might be a good deal eventually...?

Now they don't make Volvos like they used to, but if it does anywhere near as well as my dad's 1996 Volvo V70 it may not be the worst deal in the long run ;). His has well over 400K km on the clock (was at 400400 in December 2015).

mustachepungoeshere

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #980 on: November 01, 2017, 04:30:42 PM »

Here it's widely accepted that gift bags are re-used, but the Post-It idea is ... interesting. We use the tag, then cut if off and put a card in the bag.

I think I've posted previously that I've also mastered the art of cutting a bottle gift bag down into two smaller bags. I'm using up a stash of bottle bags from our 30th this way.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #981 on: November 03, 2017, 07:13:40 AM »
One of my colleagues used to drive a really old car with 300K kms on the meter. His wife hates going on vacation with that car, because it has broken downa couple of time before, on a vacation. This year they discussed renting a car for the vacation. He ended up buying a new Volvo of the most expensive model. In Norway it costs more than a million Norwegian crowns, which is a lot of dollars (>110K).

Maybe if he keeps driving it forever, like his previous car, it might be a good deal eventually...?

Now they don't make Volvos like they used to, but if it does anywhere near as well as my dad's 1996 Volvo V70 it may not be the worst deal in the long run ;). His has well over 400K km on the clock (was at 400400 in December 2015).

My mother drove a 1983 volvo until 2008. When she traded it in, the dealership mounted it on a display with a little scope so potential customers could see the odometer (which was above 460,000).

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #982 on: November 08, 2017, 08:40:37 PM »
I've got one:  Our employer is based in Illinois.  One of my coworkers finagled himself a transfer to Utah.  That got me thinking, and I did a little research and ran a few numbers.  I figured out that if I got the same transfer, it would be equivalent to getting a $15,000/year raise, due primarily to the lower taxes (and despite the higher home prices!) in Utah.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #983 on: November 10, 2017, 11:27:54 AM »
I've seen ballpark estimates of the cost of a move at $30,000 (I'm sure a Mustachian could do it for less).

With that cost, a move to Utah has a payback period of two years...not bad!

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #984 on: November 10, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »
I've seen ballpark estimates of the cost of a move at $30,000 (I'm sure a Mustachian could do it for less).

What? That's super high! We spent only $5k (reimbursed) on moving costs and we paid a moving company to move our stuff 1,500 miles. I suppose if you have to ship a car or two and have the moving company pack all your stuff for you it would be more expensive, but I still don't see how you could reach $30k levels.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #985 on: November 10, 2017, 01:13:31 PM »
At that rate you would almost be bettter off getting rid of all your stuff in a garage sale and buying new on the other side.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #986 on: November 10, 2017, 06:53:04 PM »

What? That's super high! We spent only $5k (reimbursed) on moving costs and we paid a moving company to move our stuff 1,500 miles. I suppose if you have to ship a car or two and have the moving company pack all your stuff for you it would be more expensive, but I still don't see how you could reach $30k levels.

The cost of selling and buying a modest house would eat most of that.  I just sold a house for $160k and lost nearly $12k to real estate agents, title fee's, etc. 

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #987 on: November 10, 2017, 07:24:23 PM »

The cost of selling and buying a modest house would eat most of that.  I just sold a house for $160k and lost nearly $12k to real estate agents, title fee's, etc.
That's a good point.  6% of a $300k house is $18k, plus title fees, closing costs, etc.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #988 on: November 11, 2017, 07:53:29 AM »

Ah, I had not considered that might be included in the $30k number. It is definitely much cheaper to move if you are currently renting.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #989 on: November 15, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »
One of the great things about renting is that moving is easy. Many people buy when they should rent precisely because of how likely they are to move again. I worked with a friend five years ago. She's made four moves since 2012, and she sold real estate during at least two of those. It's hard to build up the stash when you're paying a realtor annually.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #990 on: December 04, 2017, 09:16:49 AM »
A friend of mine quit her job because she was burned out and exhausted. She's taking a few months to replenish her energy. I told I was happy for her for putting herself in a position where she could take the time off. :)

katethekitcat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #991 on: December 04, 2017, 03:38:27 PM »
Co-worker my age (late 20's) was telling me what a great deal the local Yacht Club had for Millennials. Instead of paying ridiculous membership fees, you "only" had to pay $50 a month, as long as you spent at least $100 each month at the club restaurant - "which is so easy to do, not a problem at all! And this way it's affordable for young people to join!"

$50 membership fee + $100 in food = $150
$150 x 12 months = $1,800 per year

Yeah, super cheap.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #992 on: December 04, 2017, 03:44:33 PM »
Co-worker my age (late 20's) was telling me what a great deal the local Yacht Club had for Millennials. Instead of paying ridiculous membership fees, you "only" had to pay $50 a month, as long as you spent at least $100 each month at the club restaurant - "which is so easy to do, not a problem at all! And this way it's affordable for young people to join!"

Yeah, super cheap.
I think you wanted the other thread for this one.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #993 on: December 06, 2017, 01:18:51 AM »

Yeah, super cheap.

How much is it normally?

kelvin

• Stubble
« Reply #994 on: December 06, 2017, 07:06:07 AM »
I recently made the transition from blue-collar temp work to an office career. My coworkers have been very supportive.

"How far is it for you to bike to work?"
"If you can, you should probably increase your student loan payments. Interest rates are going up. Be glad you don't have a mortgage!"
"Hey, I'm going to X, do you want to carpool?"
"I got a really good deal on this cellphone service..."
"I heard you play games. There's a new HumbleBundle coming out, you should check it out!"

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #995 on: December 09, 2017, 08:08:39 PM »
Currently on maternity leave. Went into work for coffee with my manager to discuss my return to work. I have known for a long time that she's financially savvy, but it really struck me that it's amazing to tell someone that you're planning to drop your household income considerably (husband and I are both dropping to 0.6FTE) and have them compliment you on making a good decision for your family instead of wondering how you can afford it.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #996 on: December 11, 2017, 01:09:36 AM »
Not where to put this otherwise, so I'll just put it in here.

I told a frugal colleague today that I saved 60% of my nett income last year. She was impressed. Then she started to think aloud that I was probably into the stock market and such and that that would explain the number. Then I told her it was 60% of not spending our income, nothing to do with stock market. I did mention it was from 2 very good incomes and not having children.

This was because we were discussing the pension reform that our job is not going to do. She told me she was saving privately for pension and asked me if I did the same.

She is one of the very frugal people in our department, who always thinks twice before spending money on things. She uses her savings for visiting family in the USA every year and maybe other things I don't know about.

I was probably bragging a bit... (shame on me)

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #997 on: February 21, 2018, 11:22:03 AM »
My best friend paid off her (used) truck today a year early. She doesn't need a truck, but I couldn't talk her out of it.  I put this here because she immediately told the bank to start sticking the payment in her savings because she'd need to buy another car eventually.  She's recently divorced and struggles to make ends meet.  This was a big deal for her and I'm glad she's thinking ahead.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #998 on: March 12, 2018, 10:55:42 AM »
One of my former soldiers is a successful real estate agent in Florida.  The last two days he's posted the following on FB:

"People, there is a difference between good debt and bad debt. Focus on building an asset before you take that "baller" Liability

I'm tired of people not being able to afford that dream house because they just had to had that new tv or fancy car...

Cash flow does not solve your debt problems.
#beacheapass #bebroke #assetsbeforliabilities #saynotothatcar #saynotothattv"

He also posted the anti-MLM comment attached.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #999 on: March 12, 2018, 11:10:13 AM »
One of my former soldiers is a successful real estate agent in Florida.  The last two days he's posted the following on FB:

"People, there is a difference between good debt and bad debt. Focus on building an asset before you take that "baller" Liability

I'm tired of people not being able to afford that dream house because they just had to had that new tv or fancy car...
I'm curious about what sort of TV would affect a person's finances so dramatically as to prevent them from purchasing a house.  I can see a car doing that (see the $104k F350 or whatever it was), but a TV?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!