Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981380 times)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #900 on: May 22, 2017, 08:46:31 AM »
The owner of the building where I work recently changed out their halogen (I think) parking lot lights for LED fixtures.  As it turns out, the old bulbs are similarly efficient to LEDs, but since the LED fixtures are more directional, they can be half the wattage and still illuminate the parking lot just as well.  With the state rebates, it turned out to be a pretty good deal. Plus, they won't have to replace them for a *very* long time.

I don't think they're similarly efficient... For one thing, the heat from Halogen alone has to mean that you're wasting a lot of energy. But good move though. I'm down to 1 halogen bulb left in the house, and maybe 10 CFL's in rarely used spaces (attic, basement)

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #901 on: May 22, 2017, 09:07:28 AM »
The owner of the building where I work recently changed out their halogen (I think) parking lot lights for LED fixtures.  As it turns out, the old bulbs are similarly efficient to LEDs, but since the LED fixtures are more directional, they can be half the wattage and still illuminate the parking lot just as well.  With the state rebates, it turned out to be a pretty good deal. Plus, they won't have to replace them for a *very* long time.

I don't think they're similarly efficient... For one thing, the heat from Halogen alone has to mean that you're wasting a lot of energy. But good move though. I'm down to 1 halogen bulb left in the house, and maybe 10 CFL's in rarely used spaces (attic, basement)
Maybe high-pressure sodium, then? When I did the research, it turned out to be similar lumens/watt.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #902 on: May 22, 2017, 01:09:56 PM »

Maybe high-pressure sodium, then? When I did the research, it turned out to be similar lumens/watt.
That sounds more like it. Halogan use about 3 times more electricity per lumen.

Also LEDs have "problems" at night since they are more effective for blue light, but night lights need red.

Badass by 41

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #903 on: June 19, 2017, 06:20:11 PM »
We're finally executing our geo-arbitrage plan.  Moving to a 40% lower cost of living area but keeping our existing income, and continuing to work on lowering our spending.  We've saved ~40%+ of our income annually since finding MMM 3 years ago.  I think this move will boost that by an additional 15-20%!

Something that's been interesting in this process is the difference in conversations with co-workers.

Some can't believe that we would even think about moving our "entire family" out of the area, <sarcasm>which apparently is the one and only place one could possibly be in my industry</sarcasm>.

Other's immediately comment on the cost of living and quality of life gains.  This latter reaction has lead to some very interesting conversations, getting very close to outing myself as a mustachian.  But I just can't bring myself to do it with colleagues. Though I'm sure I've caught a knowing wink and/or glance in some situations. :-)

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #904 on: June 21, 2017, 06:23:27 PM »
Had a co-worker come to me on Monday and start off the conversation as follows: "So I was kinda drunk this weekend, and I did something stupid". My mind started formulating several scenarios - of both mundane and lurid variety. I was completely shocked when he proceeded to say "...and I maxed out my 401k contributions." Totally unexpected, and was really pumped for him. I informed him that what he did was the opposite of stupid, and something I want to do myself, but won't be able to until my student loans are paid off. We wound up talking about finances for a solid 15 minutes.

He's never come off as mustachian and I didn't bring up the site, maybe I will the next time the conversation veers in that direction.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #905 on: June 21, 2017, 11:24:52 PM »

That sounds more like it. Halogan use about 3 times more electricity per lumen.

Also LEDs have "problems" at night since they are more effective for blue light, but night lights need red.

According to Wikipedia, red-orange has the highest efficacy
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 01:06:05 PM by dragoncar »

rencelas

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #906 on: June 22, 2017, 05:33:39 AM »

I was plant manager of a very large manufacturing plant recently. We switched out all of our halogen bulbs, and many of our fluorescent fixtures, with LED. The halogen was a no brainer, cost wise, the fluorescent, not so much. However - your last point is spot on. My maintenance guys were forever replacing bulbs. Between bulbs burning out, disposal and handling of tube fluorescents, and the rest, the cost was easily justifiable.

Plus, for the same amount of fixtures, we're getting an incredible amount more light. Replacing a ~100W worth of tube lights with 100W of LED fixtures increased the brightness by a factor of 2 or so.

Then, at the end, our power company gave us a large slug of money - which I didn't even account for.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #907 on: June 22, 2017, 08:35:14 AM »
Had a co-worker come to me on Monday and start off the conversation as follows: "So I was kinda drunk this weekend, and I did something stupid". My mind started formulating several scenarios - of both mundane and lurid variety. I was completely shocked when he proceeded to say "...and I maxed out my 401k contributions." Totally unexpected, and was really pumped for him. I informed him that what he did was the opposite of stupid, and something I want to do myself, but won't be able to until my student loans are paid off. We wound up talking about finances for a solid 15 minutes.

He's never come off as mustachian and I didn't bring up the site, maybe I will the next time the conversation veers in that direction.

That's the most unexpected plot of the drunk weekend buddy comedy genre ever. Awesome!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #908 on: June 22, 2017, 09:04:51 AM »

That's the most unexpected plot of the drunk weekend buddy comedy genre ever. Awesome!
"Hold my beer. I'm maxing out my 401k. If I survive, the HSA is next."

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #909 on: June 24, 2017, 11:30:46 AM »

"Hold my beer. I'm maxing out my 401k. If I survive, the HSA is next."

Definitely drunk talking. You only do 401k to the match before maxing the HSA. Maxing the 401k is afterward, and possibly after maxing your IRA!

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #910 on: June 24, 2017, 01:07:22 PM »
coworker can't catch a break:

- Inherited house free and clear. Owes 3 years back taxes and is in constant fear of being foreclosed.
- No savings, no emergency account, no IRA, no 401k contributions. Emptied 401k earlier when previously laid off.
- Bought fancy truck for ~ annual salary. Traded it for different fancy truck 3 months later. Beater truck still worked.
- Needs fancy truck to tow cabin cruiser to and from lake, once per year each way.
- Owns several undriveable cars as nostalgia. Pays to garage them.
- Within 5 years of retirement. Life is unfair.

You probably want this thread: forum.mrmoneymustache.com/antimustachian-wall-of-shame-and-comedy/overheard-at-work/

The one you posted in is for more uplifting overheard at work stuff.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #911 on: June 25, 2017, 02:38:20 PM »

Indeed it was!

Panly

• Stubble
« Reply #912 on: June 27, 2017, 07:03:43 AM »

Indeed it was!

http://www.theonion.com/article/man-wakes-up-from-bender-with-financial-problems-s-19858

slugline

• Handlebar Stache

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #914 on: June 28, 2017, 08:16:44 AM »
http://www.theonion.com/article/man-wakes-up-from-bender-with-financial-problems-s-19858

Discovering a completely deductible Roth IRA would be worth the hangover.

Maybe some anonymous well-meaning Mustachian did this to this man while he was blacked out. And traded in his Lexus in the mans name. I guess it isn't very difficult to steal someones wallet, code brick, phone or whatever you need to get into his accounts.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #915 on: June 28, 2017, 08:50:17 AM »

Discovering a completely deductible Roth IRA would be worth the hangover.

Maybe some anonymous well-meaning Mustachian did this to this man while he was blacked out. And traded in his Lexus in the mans name. I guess it isn't very difficult to steal someones wallet, code brick, phone or whatever you need to get into his accounts.

Linda I know you're from outside the U.S., so I just want to clarify in case you didn't know...The Onion is a satire and comedy website.  None of their stories are real.  It's possible you're just playing along with the "news story" though, so if so just ignore this.

Jim Fiction

• Stubble
« Reply #916 on: June 29, 2017, 05:06:33 PM »

Indeed it was!

Incredible! I will have to pass that along to my co-worker, I'm sure he'll get a kick out of it.

Raenia

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #917 on: June 30, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »
Had a conversation with one of my coworkers today about HSA's - I've been meaning to sort out exactly what my options are at our company and mentioned it (I've been moving and haven't had time yet.)  She apparently not only didn't realize you can invest the money, but thought it worked like a bigger FSA where you lose the money if you leave the company/change plans.  She was really excited to hear that's not the case, and sounds like she'll be looking at setting one up!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #918 on: July 05, 2017, 07:31:52 AM »
Overheard my former boss talking. Apparently he replaced his own fuel pump in has car over the weekend rather than take it to a mechanic to have it done. It was a pleasant surprise, since he's the type to eat lunch at the work cafeteria every day (or go off-campus with some colleagues).

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #919 on: July 06, 2017, 05:51:49 AM »
A coworker brought in a cake today to celebrate paying off her car. She drives a 2012 Prius that she bought new and has around 30,000 miles on it because "everywhere I need to go is within a few miles of my house". I asked about her house and she said she had around 8 years left paying on it. I suggested that she take that car payment and apply it to her mortgage each month, but she said she is already making double payments - the only reason she didn't refinance into a 15 year note was to have flexibility in case of a job loss. We talked a bit more about personal finance and she declared her intentions to retire by 50 - not too impressive around here I know, but where we work that is well ahead of the curve. It was so refreshing to hear her story as opposed to the rest of my coworkers who plan to be here for 20-30 more years and are the poster children for consumerism!

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #920 on: July 07, 2017, 12:12:14 PM »
A co-worker recently announced that he is retiring. He is *maybe* 48. We got to talking, and he told me that when he turned 40 he told his financial advisor that he'd like to retire by 50. The planner told him that he probably could do it sooner than that. So he did.

recklesslysober

• Bristles
« Reply #921 on: July 07, 2017, 02:23:18 PM »
Posting to follow. Most of my co-workers seem fairly frugal. One is sessional so he saves during the year to be able to take the entire summer off.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #922 on: July 09, 2017, 03:52:18 AM »
A co-worker recently announced that he is retiring. He is *maybe* 48. We got to talking, and he told me that when he turned 40 he told his financial advisor that he'd like to retire by 50. The planner told him that he probably could do it sooner than that. So he did.

That must have been some good financial advisor. As I sometimes hear people on this site who have talked to advisors who don't understand the concept of badass saving.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #923 on: July 10, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »

That must have been some good financial advisor. As I sometimes hear people on this site who have talked to advisors who don't understand the concept of badass saving.

From talking to him, it sounds like he already was well on his way there at 40.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #924 on: July 10, 2017, 01:44:53 PM »

True, but I get the feeling that I could have $2M and be spending less than $25k annually and financial advisers would still tell me to keep working until I'm 65 or have $10M or some insane figure. I could be wrong, the one financial adviser I've spoke to was very complimentary towards my goals of Fire but he was seeing me as a friend and didn't charge for the session.

Lauran75

• Stubble
« Reply #925 on: July 11, 2017, 08:53:42 AM »

True, but I get the feeling that I could have $2M and be spending less than $25k annually and financial advisers would still tell me to keep working until I'm 65 or have $10M or some insane figure. I could be wrong, the one financial adviser I've spoke to was very complimentary towards my goals of Fire but he was seeing me as a friend and didn't charge for the session.

That may be true. I have never had any dealings with a financial advisor, so wouldn't really know one way or the other.

nemovero

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #926 on: July 12, 2017, 08:39:28 AM »
Long time lurker, first time poster.

My Chemical Engineering department hosts an annual symposium meant for connecting students to industry and academic contacts in a specific industry. The panel gets a question every year about the advice they would give to engineers just starting out. There is always the run-of-the-mill professional advice. This year, one of the panelists changed it up, and said, "Don't out-spend what you earn as a chemical engineering. You'll suddenly qualify for loans to buy a $300k home, and a $60k car. But that's outspending what you earn. Live on one income if you're partnered. For single folks, try living on half your income, though that is a little more difficult."

It sparked a great discussion at my table where the Dean of the College was sitting with us. The dean followed up that advice with part of the reason: "You might need to walk away from the job one day: ethical, professional, or familial reasons. Don't get stuck in financial handcuffs."

I was pleasantly surprised to receive some practical advice.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #927 on: July 12, 2017, 08:54:07 AM »
Last year's summer intern is now this year's new team member. Yesterday she proudly showed me her lunchbox and asked me how to take advantage of the tax-free, company-subsidized public transit program. She's also carless and living with two roommates. This one has promise!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #928 on: July 12, 2017, 09:30:13 AM »
One of my colleagues used to drive a really old car with 300K kms on the meter. His wife hates going on vacation with that car, because it has broken downa couple of time before, on a vacation. This year they discussed renting a car for the vacation. He ended up buying a new Volvo of the most expensive model. In Norway it costs more than a million Norwegian crowns, which is a lot of dollars (>110K).

Maybe if he keeps driving it forever, like his previous car, it might be a good deal eventually...?

thorbjorn88

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #929 on: July 12, 2017, 10:05:29 AM »
Today is the day after Amazon "prime day." Everyone is bragging about how much money they spent on "deals" they didn't need or plan on buying. Many of the same people I've heard complaining about tight finances are boasting about the biggest deals, coincidence?

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #930 on: July 12, 2017, 10:29:58 AM »
Today is the day after Amazon "prime day." Everyone is bragging about how much money they spent on "deals" they didn't need or plan on buying. Many of the same people I've heard complaining about tight finances are boasting about the biggest deals, coincidence?
I have to remind my girlfriend of this often. Just because you "saved" an arbitrary amount doesn't negate the fact that you spent a very real amount on something you may or may not actually need.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #931 on: July 12, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »
The last few posters might want to head over to the "Overheard at Work" thread... this is the confusingly named anti-anti-mustachian thread, where the negatives cancel each other out. We're supposed to share mustachian work stories here! :-)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #932 on: July 12, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »
Had a conversation with a co-worker today.  He knows I pay attention to finances and retirement.  I and a fellow co-worker convinced him to max out our 401k sometime in the last 4 years and to invest it in a target date retirement fund (he wouldn't be comfortable being more aggressive).  He felt the family budget now left them more money and was wondering what to do next.  I asked about a Roth and a Spousal Roth.  He was going to look into opening those soon.  This is on top of him having a son with special needs that easily could justify "we can't afford to save."

I married a woman with a child who has special needs.   It became one of my missions in life to make damn sure we had something to save.  A substantial something to save.

There were a lot of things in life I would have preferred doing to working so damn hard to make that happen.

I guess it's about priorities.

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #933 on: July 19, 2017, 12:22:17 PM »
Our new employee visited Wisconsin over the weekend. While she was there, she picked up a case of beer (~$30) that you can apparently only get in Wisconsin. She was on public transit, carrying the case home, when somebody offered her $100 for the case because he really liked the beer and didn't want to go to Wisconsin. Tidy $70 profit for her!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #934 on: July 19, 2017, 12:38:24 PM »
Our new employee visited Wisconsin over the weekend. While she was there, she picked up a case of beer (~$30) that you can apparently only get in Wisconsin. She was on public transit, carrying the case home, when somebody offered her $100 for the case because he really liked the beer and didn't want to go to Wisconsin. Tidy $70 profit for her!

That'll be New Glarus, probably Spotted Cow. Good beer for sure--maybe even my favorite beer--but the prices are insane. I usually have one or two while out at a bar when I'm in Wisconsin.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #935 on: July 19, 2017, 01:16:57 PM »

That'll be New Glarus, probably Spotted Cow. Good beer for sure--maybe even my favorite beer--but the prices are insane. I usually have one or two while out at a bar when I'm in Wisconsin.

I'm a huge beer lover and really don't see the appeal of Spotted Cow. Maybe I just have too much Minnesotan in me. When driving throuh WI I do love stopping to pick up beer as there are a ton of beers that aren't sold in Minnesota*.

*I squeeled like a little kid when I walked into a beer store near my office and saw that Dogfish is now being carried in Minnesota. The employees there know remember me though instead of laughing at me, I get the "Fight Club nod."

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #936 on: July 19, 2017, 01:54:10 PM »

I'm a huge beer lover and really don't see the appeal of Spotted Cow. Maybe I just have too much Minnesotan in me. When driving throuh WI I do love stopping to pick up beer as there are a ton of beers that aren't sold in Minnesota*.

*I squeeled like a little kid when I walked into a beer store near my office and saw that Dogfish is now being carried in Minnesota. The employees there know remember me though instead of laughing at me, I get the "Fight Club nod."

Dogfish head is nasty to me. I've tried about 4 or 5 of them now. Just... No.

But then I'm typically only a fan of certain stouts, and then after that just Lagers/Kolsches/Pilsners.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #937 on: July 20, 2017, 02:00:22 AM »

But then I'm typically only a fan of certain stouts, and then after that just Lagers/Kolsches/Pilsners.

Did you try the 240 minute IPA?  It's got 200% ABV.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #938 on: July 20, 2017, 05:03:50 AM »
I was taking care of my mom's (small) inheritance at Fidelity yesterday, while there the guy saw my other assets on his screen and complimented me on my simple 3 fund portfolio.  He says he has trouble talking people into simple assets with low fees.  Well that's a breath of fresh air!  An investment adviser trying to advise people to buy index funds!

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #939 on: July 20, 2017, 09:55:40 AM »

Don't know. Don't care. Won't try it. I don't like boozey beers, and I don't like IPA's either.

(I'm assuming that said beer does exist and you meant 20% ABV)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #940 on: July 20, 2017, 10:02:18 AM »

Don't know. Don't care. Won't try it. I don't like boozey beers, and I don't like IPA's either.

Dragoncar was making a joke, as is usually the case.  Dogfish head 120 minute IPA is a 15-20% beer.  And is fantastic, at least to me.  There's also 60 minute IPA and 90 minute, with ABV's at 6% and 9%.

EricL

« Reply #941 on: July 20, 2017, 10:21:06 AM »
It is very sad to me that it took some back and forth on beer - literal foam - to push this thread to 20 pages.  Are co workers really so dim?  Or is it just selective perception?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #942 on: July 20, 2017, 10:36:09 AM »
It is very sad to me that it took some back and forth on beer - literal foam - to push this thread to 20 pages.  Are co workers really so dim?  Or is it just selective perception?

I think it is more likely that we just don't see the anti-anti-mustachians because they're not flashy. And there are different levels of it—I think this thread is mostly just “mustachians spotted in the wild” rather than “financially responsible”—which while not mustachian, is also not anti-mustachian.

For instance, my director makes good money, is the type who never wants to retire because he really does enjoy what he does. He eats out lunch every day, and spends probably $50 a week on coffee. However, he has a car that is 20 years old, rides his bike to work quite often, bought his first house when he was 22, has Netflix instead of cable, etc.

Another colleague owns a condo, has roommates, brings her lunch to work. She, along with her brother, did about 25% of the work herself on her kitchen demo and renovation. But the kitchen didn’t need a reno, she just wanted it. She’s certainly not mustachian, but not anti-mustachian either.

But like I said in my first statement, the true anti-anti mustachians are hard to identify. People don’t brag out loud about increasing their 401k contributions or not buying a new car or not going out to dinner.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #943 on: July 20, 2017, 01:20:30 PM »

Oh, now I see.  Try the 0 minute IPW, it's right up your alley.  It's got no hops, malts, yeast, or alcohol.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #944 on: July 20, 2017, 02:06:13 PM »

Oh, now I see.  Try the 0 minute IPW, it's right up your alley.  It's got no hops, malts, yeast, or alcohol.

Unflavored for me!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #945 on: August 02, 2017, 06:42:25 AM »
One of my newer coworkers (she's been here about a year, and I think she's 24 or so) was asking me about our retirement plans.  We have an outrageously amazing match of 9% (100% match to 6% of your salary, then 50% match to a total of 9% of your salary), and she's already bumped up her contributions to make sure she's getting the whole 9% :) 

She took the Fidelity "how much risk can you handle" quiz when she first signed up, and it has her in about 60% domestic stock, 30% foreign stock, and 10% bonds, with the domestic stock all in the lowest fee fund we have available.  Fidelity has her split into 6 or 8 funds, most with higher expense ratios than I'd feel comfortable with, but overall her 401k is at 13.3% for the year, and I don't think any of the funds have expense ratios + management fee totals of more than 1%. 

Personally I've done more research about my investments (TBH way too much, probably to the point of a minor obsession), but I'm so proud of her for taking full advantage of the match and worrying about it enough to have me make sure she's not stuck in a money market fund or something.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:21:14 AM by chaskavitch »

katstache92

• Stubble
« Reply #946 on: August 02, 2017, 07:37:39 AM »
Co-worker stated she is about finished paying off her school loans.

Co-worker: What am I going to do with all of this extra money each month?
Me (usually I don't talk about this stuff at work, but this just slipped out: Max out your 401k.
Co-worker: We already do that.
Me: That's great, how about your IRA?
Co-worker: We already do that too.  What is there after that?
Me: Taxable accounts.
Co-worker: Hmm, we should save it, and probably will, but we might take a vacation with the first few months of an extra $1,200 in our bank accounts.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #947 on: August 02, 2017, 08:46:54 AM »
Supervisor and I have spoken several times on the need to budget, plan and save for emergencies. She also thrift shops and brings her lunch every day.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #948 on: August 08, 2017, 05:02:56 AM »
Had a conversation with a co-worker today.  He knows I pay attention to finances and retirement.  I and a fellow co-worker convinced him to max out our 401k sometime in the last 4 years and to invest it in a target date retirement fund (he wouldn't be comfortable being more aggressive).  He felt the family budget now left them more money and was wondering what to do next.  I asked about a Roth and a Spousal Roth.  He was going to look into opening those soon.  This is on top of him having a son with special needs that easily could justify "we can't afford to save."

I married a woman with a child who has special needs.   It became one of my missions in life to make damn sure we had something to save.  A substantial something to save.

There were a lot of things in life I would have preferred doing to working so damn hard to make that happen.

I guess it's about priorities.

Same here for our son with Down Syndrome, the need and drive to get something done for our child is a lot bigger than for ourself. Especially to cover his needs when we have passed on. Also, we are looking into a testament (will?) in the unlikely event of our passing simultaniously, which has restrictions on how his bequaethment can be spent and managed (to prevent .

[ontopic]
One of my colleagues is working to retire about 7 years ahead of time (he's in his early 50's now). He has his house payed off in the sense that he has a (fixed outcome) savings-insurance policy which covers the rest of the mortgage (and he still pays off some of it regularly). He has told me, multiple times, that his goal is to ease out of the job and train his successor over a number of years into the job while he takes more time to go out and have fun (he's a real nature/travel lover). Unfortunately the employer isn't too keen on shelling out for the talent needed to replace him and also requires years of experience in stead of the opportunity offered by said colleague...

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #949 on: August 09, 2017, 08:48:36 AM »
Those of you who are looking for a game plan for financially preparing to support special-needs adults when you're gone: check out this.

http://paulmerriman.com/turn-3000-50-million/

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!