Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981479 times)

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #700 on: June 27, 2016, 08:10:50 AM »
Not at work, but overheard on the shuttle to work, so I'm counting it.
I live between two train stations. I looked them up online, and they're in different zones. So I was able to get the tickets for the cheaper zone

Assuming he takes the train 5 days a week, twice a day, that'll save him ~$5 per week.

I was dog watching for a week out in the burbs and taking the train in. Same deal. I took the more expensive one because it was between 10 and 20 minutes to get out of the parking lot at the cheaper option.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #701 on: June 27, 2016, 08:19:35 AM »
Not my work, but my husband's:

Coworker is biking 20 miles each way to work while he waits for his new car to come in at the dealership.  He figures this saves him $2000 because is old car is making a burning smell, and not driving it is preserving the $2000 trade in value.  He plans to drive it exactly one more time, to the dealership as trade-in when the new car arrives.

I know, I know, new car isn't generally Mustachian but 20 miles really impressed me and I had to share.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #702 on: June 27, 2016, 08:24:36 AM »
Not my work, but my husband's:

Coworker is biking 20 miles each way to work while he waits for his new car to come in at the dealership.  He figures this saves him $2000 because is old car is making a burning smell, and not driving it is preserving the $2000 trade in value.  He plans to drive it exactly one more time, to the dealership as trade-in when the new car arrives.

I know, I know, new car isn't generally Mustachian but 20 miles really impressed me and I had to share.

Sounds like the kind of guy who buys a new car every 20 years. I'd allow it as Mustachian.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #703 on: June 28, 2016, 08:45:37 PM »
Then, recently, someone complimented him on a new dress shirt.  He responded with,
"thanks, I got for last week for $4."

Dang, maybe I need to check out thrift shops. I try to make it a point to never spend more then $20-25 on my dress shirts, although sometimes I do. You can find really nice fitting stuff in that price range if you shop at the right places, sometimes name brand. Never thought of a thrift shop though

I wish the Goodwill locations around here were like that. They want like $18 for a used dress shirt. I get them for half that at the department store at the semi-annual deep clearance racks.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #704 on: June 29, 2016, 07:52:41 AM »
Then, recently, someone complimented him on a new dress shirt.  He responded with,
"thanks, I got for last week for $4."

Dang, maybe I need to check out thrift shops. I try to make it a point to never spend more then $20-25 on my dress shirts, although sometimes I do. You can find really nice fitting stuff in that price range if you shop at the right places, sometimes name brand. Never thought of a thrift shop though

I wish the Goodwill locations around here were like that. They want like $18 for a used dress shirt. I get them for half that at the department store at the semi-annual deep clearance racks.

Yeah, the local thrift stores sells used Old Navy and Walmart kid clothing for about the same price as the store sale price, new. Like, if I'm gonna pay 5$ for toddler shorts, at least old navy delivers them to my door...

10dollarsatatime

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #705 on: June 29, 2016, 07:08:44 PM »
Exit interview for one of my employees turned into a 3 hour chat about whatever came up.

Emp: "Yeah, so (General Manager) came down yesterday and we chatted between shows.  He randomly started giving me financial advice."
Me: "The only financial advice he's ever given me is 'don't invest in stocks'".
Emp: "Really?  That's odd.  I just dumped about $5000 into a Vanguard ETF."
Me:  "Right? Vanguard has all my investments, too."

Employee/Friend was a $10/hour part timer.  He's going into statistics.  He'll be fine. :)

gggggg

• Bristles
« Reply #706 on: July 02, 2016, 02:05:42 PM »
Background:  My wife is a lawyer at a BigLaw firm.  Last weekend, we were invited to one of the Partner's houses along with a bunch of co-workers as a way to get to know everyone.  You couldn't ask for a more non-mustachian crowd.  Here's a few of my favorite comments:

[20-something brand new lawyer]  "My trip to Tokyo was amazing for the food.  We waited in line for over 5 hours starting at 3:30am to get into an amazing Sushi place at the fish market".  I refrained from asking whether they could have done a complete fishing charter and got their own fresh fish in that amount of time.

[50-something partner with her husband] "We went to an amazing restaurant last night.  The food is served from a fixed menu, and you have to buy the $250 tickets (per person, excluding drinks) a month in advance.  We don't trust UberX drivers, so we took an UberBlack (they live maybe 45 minutes away) for only $125 each way."

[same 20-something brand new lawyer] "I only really eat delivery.  One time I nearly panicked because there was a Giants game going on (she lives across the street from the stadium), and no one could deliver in a reasonable amount of time.  I wasn't sure how I was going to eat."  Discussion ensued.  The rest of the crowd was even a little shocked by this one.  Particularly since there is literally a Safeway on the ground floor of her building.

Lol pm me the firm.  It should be noted that most young big law lawyers eat mostly delivery because it's provided for free by the firm when they work late (which is usually).  And a 50-somethin partner spending $250 on dinner is probably equivalent to me eating at Taco Bell on an income percent basis (median profits per partner in big law being around $1.3 million per year, and likely much higher for that guy)

LOL!

Yeah, while they make a lot of money, I don't think there is an amount of money that would be worth the sacrifice and toil it takes to get to that level....considering that BLaw partners work just as hard as they did while they were associates (don't know if this includes hustling new clients or becoming a 'rainmaker.')

I know a few people that are I-bankers and they have all their meals provided while they are working. It isn't because the company values them like Google and other places do, it's because they expect them to be there working insane hours. They are given a list of restaurants that they can order from and have it delivered. A few tell me that after a while the novelty wears off and foods taste the same.

Umm you must be mistaken.  Google, Facebook etc do the free food for the exact same reasons that the banks/law firms do it: to keep the employees working longer.  Especially in the beginning when Google wasn't paying the highest salaries, the free food was a big money saver for them (~$3k food cost per employee vs perceived value raises of ~$10k)

Do you have a source for the $3k food cost vs salary? I don't mistrust your numbers just curious to learn more.

Yeah for Google I saw it as a way or them to keep employees there longer. With young employees that are unmarried, I imagine it pays off well to feed them and have them access to most things they can need as this coupled with having many young people with similar interests around makes them more likely to stay and work, and it can help increase dialogue with people in different deparatments, creating new ideas.

My cousin (works at Google) told me that he heard that an ex-intern "lived" at Google for about a year after his internship before he was discovered and the people at Google weren't really mad at him, it sounded like they were impressed.

We currently have an intern "living" in our building m-f. He goes to school during the day, does his office job with us at night, and then sleeps in his office. He's not supposed to, but we've turned a blind eye because he's a nice guy.

sidestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #707 on: July 04, 2016, 08:58:21 PM »
Work at a large tech company (100k+) employees, with our site being ~2500 employees.

Our site manager who probably pulls in 500k a year drove a rusted 1998 Ford F150 to work every day. Really cool guy who loved to chat about beer and physics while in worn jeans and a t-shirt. He left our site to move even higher up the corporate ladder to report to the CEO.

Found out that he just told them to f-off and that he was done with the corporate BS. He’s retired now at 45, fishing every day.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #708 on: July 05, 2016, 08:32:53 AM »
Our company was just bought out, and the stock price took quite the jump. All around the water cooler people were somewhat lamenting that they didn't have more company stock in their 401k's. The overall theme was "Damnit, I had to go and put it in the low cost index fund, hahahah!"--with the general tone of knowing that it wouldn't have been a good idea, it just would have been a nice bump.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #709 on: July 05, 2016, 08:48:16 AM »
I certainly do not advocate putting all of your money in company stock (Enron?) but I do like to keep part of my money there. 

I just did my mid-year NW review and I have about 9% in company stock.  Most of that is in options that I cash out slowly due to the tax consequences.

How much of your portfolio should be in company stock?  That is a personal decision driven by your financial situation and your opinion on the health of the company.  In my case if it gets over 10% I reallocate.

Our company was just bought out, and the stock price took quite the jump. All around the water cooler people were somewhat lamenting that they didn't have more company stock in their 401k's. The overall theme was "Damnit, I had to go and put it in the low cost index fund, hahahah!"--with the general tone of knowing that it wouldn't have been a good idea, it just would have been a nice bump.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #710 on: July 05, 2016, 08:53:56 AM »
I certainly do not advocate putting all of your money in company stock (Enron?) but I do like to keep part of my money there. 

I just did my mid-year NW review and I have about 9% in company stock.  Most of that is in options that I cash out slowly due to the tax consequences.

How much of your portfolio should be in company stock?  That is a personal decision driven by your financial situation and your opinion on the health of the company.  In my case if it gets over 10% I reallocate.

I think everyone agrees. 10% seems high to me, but not overly high--I think most people were between 3 and 7%. I was at around 10% myself (all dividends and I think company matches go into company stock); after the announcement it was quite a bit higher. I just reallocated to 0% though, the price is basically where it is for the next year or so until the deal is executed or the deal falls through (in which case I don't want to be in company stock anyways).

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #711 on: July 05, 2016, 10:29:54 AM »

I have 0 in stock, but then I work for a startup company.  My policy is "same day sale".

So, if we go public or get bought "some day", I'll make a little money.
If we go belly up, then, well, I'm not losing money.

My prior start-up got bought before I was vested.  I had the same philosophy then. For the options, same day sale.  For the ESPP, sell within a week of getting the shares.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #712 on: July 05, 2016, 02:20:43 PM »

I have 0 in stock, but then I work for a startup company.  My policy is "same day sale".

My prior start-up got bought before I was vested.  I had the same philosophy then. For the options, same day sale.  For the ESPP, sell within a week of getting the shares.

How do you sell if it's not public?  You use a secondary market?

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #713 on: July 12, 2016, 02:00:10 PM »
Was interviewing a potential new employee, she asked after our retirement provisions.

She's 22. And I hired her, of course.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #714 on: July 12, 2016, 02:09:44 PM »
Was interviewing a potential new employee, she asked after our retirement provisions.

My wife declined a job in part because there was no 401k. Don't think she would have done that without me, but still. (She was 26 at the time)

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #715 on: July 21, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »
CW1: "I'm retiring August 1st"
CW2: "What are doing after that"
CW1: "Will still be here - going to DROP"
CW2: "Nice!"
CW1: "Also saving the 3% retirement contribution that I won't have to make any more into deferred comp (457) as well."

Me (silently): "WOOOOO!"

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #716 on: July 22, 2016, 10:53:55 AM »

How do you sell if it's not public?  You use a secondary market?
Well I never sold except after we were public.  So the prior company, we got bought and my options were transferred to the public entity.  But with same vesting schedule (and a reduced # of shares).  I sold the public shares when vested.

With the current company, they are just options.  I won't exercise them unless we are public some day.

But yes, you can sell shares in a non-public company.  One of my former coworkers was an early employee and left.  He decided to buy some of his shares, but had to pay taxes on the "earnings" at that point.  In order to afford the taxes, he would have to sell some shares.  In this case, the company gets right of first refusal.  So they could choose to buy his shares or say yay or nay to the sale.  In the end, another coworker bought some of his shares from him.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #717 on: July 22, 2016, 11:22:02 AM »

You've interviewed people who DIDN'T ask about this?

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #718 on: July 22, 2016, 11:48:01 AM »

She was the first one who actually asked. Not sure why no one asks... Maybe it's a Dutch thing?

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #719 on: July 22, 2016, 11:48:22 AM »

I don't typically ask about it in the interview. If I get an offer, I'll always ask and investigate.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #720 on: July 22, 2016, 12:44:55 PM »

I don't typically ask about it in the interview. If I get an offer, I'll always ask and investigate.

Yeah,it's part of the benefits package so a bit premature to ask about in the interview.  Kinda like asking about the salary.  Plus, most job listings will already advertise if there is a 401k, etc

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #721 on: July 22, 2016, 09:59:58 PM »

Yeah,it's part of the benefits package so a bit premature to ask about in the interview.  Kinda like asking about the salary.  Plus, most job listings will already advertise if there is a 401k, etc

Yeah, but she's 22. Pretty new in the workforce. Bound to make missteps. I have interviewed 22-year-olds who were inappropriately dressed or gave me references that turned out to have issued formal reprimands against the interviewee. In contrast, asking about the 401(k) is a really good mistake to make.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #722 on: July 22, 2016, 11:22:27 PM »
or gave me references that turned out to have issued formal reprimands against the interviewee. In contrast, asking about the 401(k) is a really good mistake to make.

One time, a list of references included a colleague.
Asked about the potential hire, the reference said "I wouldn't touch [the potential hire] with a ten foot pole"

I thought that was a bit harsh, but if you can't choose good references, it is a bad sign.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #723 on: July 23, 2016, 09:32:18 AM »
or gave me references that turned out to have issued formal reprimands against the interviewee. In contrast, asking about the 401(k) is a really good mistake to make.

Asked about the potential hire, the reference said "I wouldn't touch [the potential hire] with a ten foot pole"

I thought that was a bit harsh, but if you can't choose good references, it is a bad sign.

Alternatively, that reference wanted to keep [the potential hire] on their team and the easiest way to do so is giving a bad reference?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #724 on: July 23, 2016, 10:56:01 AM »
Ender ,
The potential hire had not been with the company for some years, no conflict of interest on the references part.  The previous job was pretty demanding physical labor, low skill, while the hiring position was very fast paced technical lab work.

financialfreedomsloth

• Stubble
    • financial freedom sloth
« Reply #725 on: July 29, 2016, 05:11:30 AM »
Ah ja, the Netherlands! Was there in march and april. Lighted bike roads! Hundreds of bikes parked at the train station but only a few cars. Also lots of bumpers which is not good if you are sitting at the end in a mini bus with a driver that is used to a jeep like car. ouch! ouch! ouch!
Also liked Jumbo.

It was really depressing though when I was constantly overtaken on my bike by 70+ year old woman. Granted, some had electric bikes but not all. Hell, I was driving 20kmh against a strong wind. Sweating. And they sit there erect on the bike and swiiisch overtake me :(
And once on my way to Jumbo all I could do was to keep up with that 1-gear riding 85 year old looking thin man.

What I really wanted to say to Nederstash was just: Have you tried electric bike? For this long commute I would consider it an investment ;)

Noooo way man. That's like side wheels or helmets. The true Dutch bike. On a ratty rambling carcass of a bike covered in rust, bought for 30 bucks off Marktplaats (our craigslist) that squeaks when you brake.

I would get ostracized like a Viking wearing a life vest.

Nederstash, you should really look into the electric bicycles! I have a 18 km commute and it is a bit hilly here in Flanders where I live. Since discovering the money moustache site and deciding I needed to step up my badassity I am now using my girlfriends (yes a womens electric bike) to go to work about 4 times a week. It's faster, you are not sweaty when getting to work and you still get a decent exercise + in Belgium we have decent compensation for using a bicycle as a commute = 160 euro extra a month!! Isn't it mustachian to not give a flying F**** about what other people think of you?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #726 on: July 29, 2016, 09:58:54 AM »

Alternatively, that reference wanted to keep [the potential hire] on their team and the easiest way to do so is giving a bad reference?

Yup, that can happen.

In business a lot of customers (these are businesses) want Net 30 terms, which is fine if they go through our credit check. Part of this consists of supplying references from other companies in which they have terms. A few times we've heard back from these references that they owe money or other problems, and sometimes it's very obvious that they simply just don't want us to sell to them and so are lying.

I remember one time this happened, the company that was lying wanted to place a good size order with us and we insist on cash payment (no terms) and the owner refused and said that he would pay. I showed him a copy of his reference response and he wired payment before we shipped.

bebegirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Sleepless in
« Reply #727 on: July 29, 2016, 05:23:06 PM »
At the job we have two huge fridges to store people's lunches. Our own department has little fridge for the same exact reason. Lunchroom is busy around noon as well. Top managers are not shy to bring their own lunch and take public transportation every day.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #728 on: August 06, 2016, 09:13:38 PM »
Wasn't work, but saw at a public park:

"COMPOUND INTEREST - INVEST EARLY, RETIRE EARLY" and "DIVERSIFY YOUR BONDS".

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #729 on: August 07, 2016, 01:19:56 PM »
"COMPOUND INTEREST - INVEST EARLY, RETIRE EARLY" and "DIVERSIFY YOUR BONDS".

You need to diversify [yo bonds nigga]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Z6qWRugCY

The full clip of wu tang financial here:

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/tw2ltp/chappelle-s-show-wu-tang-financial---uncensored

[MOD EDIT:  No.]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:10:38 PM by FrugalToque »

Sofa King

• Bristles
« Reply #730 on: August 07, 2016, 04:46:34 PM »
I've only been at my current job for just shy of 10 months, but I can tell that I'm having a small, but not negligible effect on my early 50's co-worker. She's a single lady, and has never been married, has a paid off 13 year old Hyundai Tiburon, and paid 40% down on her house (inheritance) 13 years ago. She once went crazy with a HELOC and owes $40k on it. Between that, and her $80k mortgage, she has no other debt. She's shy in asking for help, but not helpless herself. Very reliable worker also.

In the past 6 months, her car has been "nickel and diming" her to death and she has started to suggest that she is on the verge of buying a new car to hold her out until her retirement age. I instantly go in to daydream mode, imagining with dread the thought of seeing her roll into the parking lot in a new 2016 Dodge Dart that she envies. ($20k+tax for the model she likes)

I tell her, "You know, buying a new car will cost you a MINIMUM of $350/mo, plus your full coverage insurance on a much more expensive car. Your latest car expense is only about 3 months of car payments. At this rate, if you can afford the new car payment, you can afford to repair this car 3 more times this year and still come out ahead."

Then she has a fender bender in the parking lot, and her $1000 deductible is used up, and she's moaning again. And I reminder, it's better than buying a new car and watching that $450/mo go out the window. You're the original owner of your current car, and it's still the cheaper option.

Gratefully, she excepts my advice with an open mind, so I feel free offering it.

Then, over the course of normal conversation, I learn that she's paying 5.5% on her home loan. I eagerly suggest that she contact her bank (along with others) and ask about refinancing, and I suggest that she roll in her HELOC into this new mortgage as long as the interest rate is lower (it will be) . In our area, 3.75% for a 15 year mortgage would cut 2 years off her loan, saving her over $22k in payments, and would save her an additional $200-$250/mo over the life of her loan, saving another $36k minimum.

I flat out told her, "Refinancing to 3.75% will save you over $50k depending on the refinancing costs your bank charges. I'll go with you to the bank if you make an appointment!"

Two months later, she say's, "Alex, I called my bank, and I have asked about refinancing. Is there anything I should know about it before going in there?"

I gave her some info, and offered again to go with her. She's not shy about her finances with me, so she told me if she's nervous when the time comes, she'll ask, but not to worry about it.

I'm stoked!

EXCELLENT!!!!  :  )

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #731 on: August 08, 2016, 10:56:17 PM »
I've only been at my current job for just shy of 10 months, but I can tell that I'm having a small, but not negligible effect on my early 50's co-worker. She's a single lady, and has never been married, has a paid off 13 year old Hyundai Tiburon, and paid 40% down on her house (inheritance) 13 years ago. She once went crazy with a HELOC and owes $40k on it. Between that, and her $80k mortgage, she has no other debt. She's shy in asking for help, but not helpless herself. Very reliable worker also.

In the past 6 months, her car has been "nickel and diming" her to death and she has started to suggest that she is on the verge of buying a new car to hold her out until her retirement age. I instantly go in to daydream mode, imagining with dread the thought of seeing her roll into the parking lot in a new 2016 Dodge Dart that she envies. ($20k+tax for the model she likes)

I tell her, "You know, buying a new car will cost you a MINIMUM of $350/mo, plus your full coverage insurance on a much more expensive car. Your latest car expense is only about 3 months of car payments. At this rate, if you can afford the new car payment, you can afford to repair this car 3 more times this year and still come out ahead."

Then she has a fender bender in the parking lot, and her $1000 deductible is used up, and she's moaning again. And I reminder, it's better than buying a new car and watching that $450/mo go out the window. You're the original owner of your current car, and it's still the cheaper option.

Gratefully, she excepts my advice with an open mind, so I feel free offering it.

Then, over the course of normal conversation, I learn that she's paying 5.5% on her home loan. I eagerly suggest that she contact her bank (along with others) and ask about refinancing, and I suggest that she roll in her HELOC into this new mortgage as long as the interest rate is lower (it will be) . In our area, 3.75% for a 15 year mortgage would cut 2 years off her loan, saving her over $22k in payments, and would save her an additional $200-$250/mo over the life of her loan, saving another $36k minimum.

I flat out told her, "Refinancing to 3.75% will save you over $50k depending on the refinancing costs your bank charges. I'll go with you to the bank if you make an appointment!"

Two months later, she say's, "Alex, I called my bank, and I have asked about refinancing. Is there anything I should know about it before going in there?"

I gave her some info, and offered again to go with her. She's not shy about her finances with me, so she told me if she's nervous when the time comes, she'll ask, but not to worry about it.

I'm stoked!

EXCELLENT!!!!  :  )

Update...

She has had her house appraised, and the new financing rate will be roughly 3.5%. The down side? She's refinancing, but throwing $10k on top of her refinance to buy a new car. I'm trying to talk her into buying a certified pre-owned (the closest thing to new that I have any chance of convincing her on), but I'm nearly certain she's set to buy a small SUV for $25k'ish. She's negating about half of the total cost savings she'll net in terms of the refi, so she's still coming out ahead, but damnit, her car is STILL getting her to work everyday without a problem at all!

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #732 on: August 09, 2016, 10:46:20 AM »
I was talking with one of my coworkers about house projects, and he said "Now that I'm older and making more money I can afford to have this stuff done -- but I try to resist temptation and do as many projects myself as I can."

PencilThinStash

• Stubble
« Reply #733 on: August 10, 2016, 03:41:25 PM »
I was talking to the new guy at work today during my lunch break, and out of the blue he mentioned that he was thinking about biking in to work since he only lives a mile away. Mainly for the purpose of Pokemon Go-ing, but did bring up exercise and saving gas money as side benefits.

ONE MORE PERSON OUT THERE WHO ISN'T A TOTAL IDIOT!

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #734 on: August 11, 2016, 07:22:56 AM »
I was talking to the new guy at work today during my lunch break, and out of the blue he mentioned that he was thinking about biking in to work since he only lives a mile away. Mainly for the purpose of Pokemon Go-ing, but did bring up exercise and saving gas money as side benefits.

LOL -- one mile away . . . so of course my first thought is that he is switching from walking to biking . . . until I read the part about "gas." One mile doesn't even give a engine enough time to reach proper operating temperature, does it? :)

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #735 on: August 11, 2016, 11:26:06 AM »
There were only 3 of us sitting at lunch today (devops were all in a lunch-and-learn elsewhere). Had a lovely discussion with my two colleagues regarding retirement, investments, etc. One is already pretty mustachian, I'd already spoken to him about it and I've introduced him to MMM.

The other is currently getting out of debt (poor decisions in his twenties along with being a freelancer with no financial discipline). This one told us about his strict new budget with his new live-in partner, how he's using the snowball method to pay off his debts, and will then be rolling those equivalent payments into what he can save for retirement and for his little girl's education. He didn't really understand what our company's retirement package looked like, what certain things mean (like MER), and what not, but seemed really interested when we explained these things.

Just sent him MMM and Canadian Couch Potato, and he said "thanks so much, I'll read this this weekend for sure!". Baby steps, but I think it's awesome for him.

Becoming interested in these things is the first step.

Nederstash

• Bristles
« Reply #736 on: August 11, 2016, 02:05:14 PM »

LOL -- one mile away . . . so of course my first thought is that he is switching from walking to biking . . . until I read the part about "gas." One mile doesn't even give a engine enough time to reach proper operating temperature, does it? :)

Gas can be involved when walking or biking. Especially if you've been on a rice and beans diet.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #737 on: August 11, 2016, 07:45:45 PM »

Just a mile? I'd walk it instead of having to get the bike out of the house/apt/residence, make sure there's enough tire pressure, lock it at work, worry about it getting stolen, etc.

Or is there not a sidewalk or something?

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #738 on: August 12, 2016, 02:40:48 AM »

Just a mile? I'd walk it instead of having to get the bike out of the house/apt/residence, make sure there's enough tire pressure, lock it at work, worry about it getting stolen, etc.

Dont you have a mustachian got-it-used-for-20-bucks bike where you dont have to worry about the bike getting stolen?
I mean for such a short distance a 1-gear is all you need, nothing fancy like for the 8 mile run.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #739 on: August 12, 2016, 04:23:29 AM »

Dont you have a mustachian got-it-used-for-20-bucks bike where you dont have to worry about the bike getting stolen?
I mean for such a short distance a 1-gear is all you need, nothing fancy like for the 8 mile run.

No because I have limited space in my apartment and I'd have nowhere to put it considering I need space for my real bike.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #740 on: August 12, 2016, 09:10:48 AM »

Gas can be involved when walking or biking. Especially if you've been on a rice and beans diet.

I prefer to call it "Jet Propelled"

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #741 on: August 12, 2016, 02:09:52 PM »
The flames are sure hard on the wardrobe...

Bicycles and apartments: look into a folding bicycle. You might be able to get one that fits in your closet at home and beside your desk at work. Another reason I don't want to live in an apartment ever again. The only thing I do that doesn't involve "stuff" is reading a book. Got to have a place for "stuff" to dwell.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #742 on: August 12, 2016, 05:35:14 PM »
The flames are sure hard on the wardrobe...

Bicycles and apartments: look into a folding bicycle. You might be able to get one that fits in your closet at home and beside your desk at work. Another reason I don't want to live in an apartment ever again. The only thing I do that doesn't involve "stuff" is reading a book. Got to have a place for "stuff" to dwell.

I brought up the size of my apartment because I cannot fit two bikes in my apartment. However I really have no interest in having two bikes.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #743 on: August 12, 2016, 08:55:47 PM »
Oh come on. Why wouldn't you want two bikes?  Mountain bike, road bike, commuter bike, junker bike, downhill bike, fatty bike...  You could probably justify six bikes!

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #744 on: August 18, 2016, 08:36:33 AM »
Boss mentioned how he used to buy a donut and coffee daily, then realized how much it ended up costing over time. Now he brings coffee from home and I don't think I've ever seen him eat a donut.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #745 on: August 18, 2016, 09:58:51 AM »
Boss mentioned how he used to buy a donut and coffee daily, then realized how much it ended up costing over time. Now he brings coffee from home and I don't think I've ever seen him eat a donut.
The nice thing there is not only is he saving money, he's probably improving his long-term health too!

Undefined

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #746 on: August 19, 2016, 11:28:24 AM »
My closest coworker has never seemed too mustachian - lots of eating out, especially when our work lunch room was out of commission during construction.  Lots of vacations, lots of purchases, you know the type.  But...  She finished paying off her car, and has not instantly run out to replace it as she always said she would.  She started going home for lunch (I envy her living close enough to do so!).  And just today, we were talking about mortgage payments, and she said she tucks away an extra couple hundred bucks a month from her paychecks, and every four months makes an extra mortgage payment.

I don't know what hit her to make her a little more financially savvy, and there are definitely still some anti-mmm habits to work on, but that's a great accomplishment to hear from her!

With This Herring

• Handlebar Stache
  • TANSTAAFL!
« Reply #747 on: August 20, 2016, 10:45:59 PM »
Posting to follow!

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #748 on: August 24, 2016, 08:12:26 AM »
One of my co-workers just told me that he got a major raise and promotion in 1990, basically cranked his 401(k) percentage up to the maximum instead of making any lifestyle changes, so he's been getting 15% (+6% match) in there every year. He's retiring at the end of the year.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #749 on: August 24, 2016, 08:32:56 AM »
One of my co-workers just told me that he got a major raise and promotion in 1990, basically cranked his 401(k) percentage up to the maximum instead of making any lifestyle changes, so he's been getting 15% (+6% match) in there every year. He's retiring at the end of the year.

That's awesome! I love hearing about people that get a considerable bump in compensation but don't change the way they're living.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!