Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981472 times)

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #600 on: April 19, 2016, 07:08:28 PM »
Mustachian:

I hate spending money on clothes, I never buy new clothes!

Anti:

Instead I don't mind spunking $100 on a meal, that's definitely worth it!

I thought I had an ally at work for a split second!

I would have no regrets spending $100 on a good meal in Shanghai.  yummy!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #601 on: April 19, 2016, 08:14:12 PM »
Mustachian:

Anti:

Yeah I don't spend a ton of money when going out, so if I am spending $100 I imagine it's going to be an experience. I know $100 isn't enough for a meal at Alinea or French Laundry, but there are bound to be some amazing tasting course meals that can be swung for $100 (including tax and gratuity).

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #602 on: April 19, 2016, 08:49:16 PM »
Mustachian:

Anti:

Yeah I don't spend a ton of money when going out, so if I am spending $100 I imagine it's going to be an experience. I know $100 isn't enough for a meal at Alinea or French Laundry, but there are bound to be some amazing tasting course meals that can be swung for $100 (including tax and gratuity).

Yeah $100 would get you most things in Shanghai. I just find it hard to justify it when I can eat out for $20-30 and it is still amazingly tasty! Even harder to justify when I can eat tasty Chinese food for about $2-3 :-p

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #603 on: April 19, 2016, 09:08:00 PM »
Mustachian:

Anti:

Yeah $100 would get you most things in Shanghai. I just find it hard to justify it when I can eat out for $20-30 and it is still amazingly tasty! Even harder to justify when I can eat tasty Chinese food for about $2-3 :-p

I agree, but for $100 I would be going out for an experience. Something that you think about for a long time. I remember a meal I had in Vegas that cost me $65 for food, tip, tax, and a martini. I was able to expense (I am very cheap generally so occasional splurge) and it is a meal I still think about. When I was bemoaning about the expense a few days later with a colleague he remarked, "You're still talking about how good it was, sounds like it was worth the expense."

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #604 on: April 20, 2016, 01:03:54 PM »
Mustachian:

Anti:

I agree, but for $100 I would be going out for an experience. Something that you think about for a long time. I remember a meal I had in Vegas that cost me $65 for food, tip, tax, and a martini. I was able to expense (I am very cheap generally so occasional splurge) and it is a meal I still think about. When I was bemoaning about the expense a few days later with a colleague he remarked, "You're still talking about how good it was, sounds like it was worth the expense."

Co-worker has a point.

I can think of a few times in the past 15 years where I've spent upwards of 60$/person on a meal (... like, maybe 5-6 times, total). I remember each of those meals, and OMG so excellent, and my husband and I will still be like 'remember that meal in Paris?' (150$/person, and 6 years later I still start salivating when I think about the cheese plate).

It's not an every day expense. Or an every month expense. Or, hell, an every year expense. But... rough numbers? In the end, we're talking less than 40$/year on stupidly expensive meals, with MASSIVE enjoyment, and great memories. Definitely wouldn't do it every week, but there are worse things to spend 40$/year on, y'know?

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #605 on: April 20, 2016, 01:14:18 PM »
My coworker was pondering summer activities for her 10 year old son.  She said, "I know!  We have an old table that needs to be refinished.  He will like spending time sanding it down, and then I'll help him reseal it."

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #606 on: April 21, 2016, 06:59:25 AM »
My coworker was pondering summer activities for her 10 year old son.  She said, "I know!  We have an old table that needs to be refinished.  He will like spending time sanding it down, and then I'll help him reseal it."

Hah. We've been occupying the toddler by having her 'help' get small rocks and pebbles off the lawn area before we seed grass. She's surprisingly into it (like, we had to convince her to stop for dinner last night, becuase she wanted to keep going), and it's actually a help. Yay for kids enjoying themselves AND being a help! :)

Inaya

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #607 on: April 21, 2016, 07:13:26 AM »

Hah. We've been occupying the toddler by having her 'help' get small rocks and pebbles off the lawn area before we seed grass. She's surprisingly into it (like, we had to convince her to stop for dinner last night, becuase she wanted to keep going), and it's actually a help. Yay for kids enjoying themselves AND being a help! :)
My parents kept me busy by having me "paint" the front gate. It was just a paint can full of water. I think they missed out on an excellent opportunity for free labor--at least on the bottom 3 ft. of the gate.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #608 on: April 21, 2016, 07:14:56 AM »

When my boys were about 8 and 11 my ex and I split up. We lived for a time in a townhouse with a common swimming pool. It was next to a university so most of the other tenants were students and the pool was surrounded by pebbles.

It didn't take long for the boys and the manager to come to an agreement about pool maintenance. The pebbles were too big to be picked up in the vacuum system and too smooth for a net. So they used to dive down and collect them, and he paid them $2 for every 10 pebbles. They got more money from him than they did for doing their chores!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #609 on: April 21, 2016, 11:26:26 AM »

When my boys were about 8 and 11 my ex and I split up. We lived for a time in a townhouse with a common swimming pool. It was next to a university so most of the other tenants were students and the pool was surrounded by pebbles.

It didn't take long for the boys and the manager to come to an agreement about pool maintenance. The pebbles were too big to be picked up in the vacuum system and too smooth for a net. So they used to dive down and collect them, and he paid them $2 for every 10 pebbles. They got more money from him than they did for doing their chores!
Did the manager ever find out about the boys nightly re-supplying of the pebbles stock?

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #610 on: May 07, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »
Coworker told me she has a 50% savings rate!!

InsertFullNameHere

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #611 on: May 07, 2016, 10:55:54 PM »
Overheard a couple strangers at work:

Girl: Hey we need to have lunch together some time!
Friend: Oh I'd love to, but I shouldn't; I want to save money because my car needed $600 of repair this week...
Girl: <sounds of sympathy>
Friend: Don't worry it's fine! I had enough in my savings to cover it, and besides that's why we have savings in the first place, right? Hey, how about instead of lunch out we make something at my place instead...

They both seemed to love the idea of a home-made dinner, and it all just made me smile that someone is dealing with their money in a not-ridiculous way.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #612 on: May 08, 2016, 06:36:18 PM »
A younger coworker of mine has always seemed like he was pretty free with his spending.  Drives a luxury vehicle and is always the sharpest dressed person in the office. I kind of assumed he blew most of his money on clothes, etc.

Well - found out the other day that he bought his car used (he's apparently never bought a new car).  He told me he'd rather let other people pay for the depreciation.

Then, recently, someone complimented him on a new dress shirt.  He responded with,
"thanks, I got for last week for $4."

When I asked him if I'd heard him right he told me he buys all his dress shirts at thrift shops.  He said he saw no reason to pay double digits for clothes.  I was impressed not only that he had that attitude, but that he was proud to let everyone know.

My respect for him skyrocketed...and I was reminded in that moment not to make any snap judgements on people. 

You really can never tell if people are living off debt or living well within their means....even when you have a good idea of what their means are.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:39:06 PM by MrDelane »

Vanguards and Lentils

• Bristles
« Reply #613 on: May 08, 2016, 06:50:21 PM »
A younger coworker of mine has always seemed like he was pretty free with his spending.  Drives a luxury vehicle and is always the sharpest dressed person in the office. I kind of assumed he blew most of his money on clothes, etc.

Well - found out the other day that he bought his car used (he's apparently never bought a new car).  He told me he'd rather let other people pay for the depreciation.

Then, recently, someone complimented him on a new dress shirt.  He responded with,

When I asked him if I'd heard him right he told me he buys all his dress shirts at thrift shops.  He said he saw no reason to pay double digits for clothes.  I was impressed not only that he had that attitude, but that he was proud to let everyone know.

My respect for him skyrocketed...and I was reminded in that moment not to make any snap judgements on people. 

You really can never tell if people are living off debt or living well within their means....even when you have a good idea of what their means are.

nice story! and I no longer have an excuse for dressing like a turd =(

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #614 on: May 08, 2016, 07:53:24 PM »
I no longer have an excuse for dressing like a turd =(

That's exactly what I thought too.
:)

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #615 on: May 08, 2016, 11:39:37 PM »
I no longer have an excuse for dressing like a turd =(

That's exactly what I thought too.
:)

I made an arbitrary resolution to not buy new clothes this year. I had to break it this weekend and buy a few new shirts for work as I really was starting to look turdish :(

VaCPA

• Bristles
« Reply #616 on: May 10, 2016, 09:14:22 AM »

Dang, maybe I need to check out thrift shops. I try to make it a point to never spend more then $20-25 on my dress shirts, although sometimes I do. You can find really nice fitting stuff in that price range if you shop at the right places, sometimes name brand. Never thought of a thrift shop though

tiger002

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #617 on: May 10, 2016, 08:06:07 PM »
I'm a fairly new employee, and I had a meeting with my boss today to discuss my performance, which then led into making sure I knew about the different benefits available to the employees, and he brought up the topic of saving, encouraging me to make sure I was contributing to our 401k enough to get the match, something that I'd been doing. He then mentioned that being in mostly stocks was a good idea, and that passive investing is better than active. Sure, stuff that I already knew because of this forum and related sites, but it was good to see that he was trying to guide me in the right way.

And then he mentioned something about working there for 40 years would give me a good retirement when I'm 25 now. Well, most the conversation is deserving of this thread.

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #618 on: May 12, 2016, 07:19:02 AM »
A coworker used to do a coffee run every day for our team to fill up the coffee cards. He never paid for a coffee.

Funnily enough, he retired early!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #619 on: May 12, 2016, 07:21:28 AM »
I recently put in a week at the state's National Guard emergency operations center, and met a bunch of my fellow servicemembers who I don't normally see. Asked one senior NCO what his day job was:

"I manage my own investments."

I was like... "yeah, I'm working toward that myself. Good on ya." And we got back to work. I should be in that exact situation in about a year.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #620 on: May 12, 2016, 12:10:41 PM »
My boss and I were discussing strategies for maxing out 401k contributions given annual bonuses, Q2 pay increases, and our company's policy of only contributing their 3% match on a per pay period basis.  (We have to contribute 6% per pay period to get the match, meaning we have to make the contribution every pay period of the year to get the full match.). I offered up the calculator spreadsheet I made, and he said he'd love to have it.  Then I offered it to one of my employees whom I know maximizes his contribution, and he wants it also. So, we have some savers around here!

This is my work situation exactly. I would love a copy of it if you wouldn't mind!

aetherie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #621 on: May 18, 2016, 06:42:42 AM »
My 23 year old coworker told me yesterday that he's getting ready to start biking to work (figuring out routes etc.) and that his dream in life is not to own a car.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #622 on: May 18, 2016, 06:56:15 AM »
My 23 year old coworker told me yesterday that he's getting ready to start biking to work (figuring out routes etc.) and that his dream in life is not to own a car.

I think we're up to 1/2 my team biking to work now (some less consistent).

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #623 on: May 18, 2016, 08:03:52 AM »
My husband got added to an engagement team at work. He was going through the suggestion box and found a note from last year, requesting that he and 1 other guy get some sort of award for biking to work every day of the summer.  Whoever submitted it thought they should be acknowledged for "saving parking spaces".

Nothing came of it, but my husband was thrilled someone cared enough to submit that.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #624 on: May 18, 2016, 08:16:43 AM »
LOL of all things parking spaces.

But at least that tells you a lot about the perspective of the writer.

mrcheese

• Stubble
« Reply #625 on: May 18, 2016, 06:10:42 PM »
A coworker used to do a coffee run every day for our team to fill up the coffee cards. He never paid for a coffee.

I have a friend who does something similar, she gets so many cards punched through her work that she can usually treat friends to coffee on the weekends! 

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #626 on: May 19, 2016, 09:57:28 AM »
It wasn't at work, but anti-antimustachian... I was at a museum event last night with a lot of older wealthy fancypants type people. I went to the ladies room afterwards there were a few people waiting in line. Some very fashionably-dressed woman comes in behind me and promptly cuts me in line (NYC, land of entitled assholes). She tells another woman "Oh! I love your shoes!" and the woman thanks her and continues washing her hands. Then she asks the woman with the nice shoes "Who are they?" meaning, you know, which designer made them. Because of course we all wear designer fucking shoes. The woman with the shoes gives her a bright smile and says "No idea. Got them at a thrift store." The woman who cut me in line seemed a bit taken aback... hahaha.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #627 on: May 19, 2016, 11:43:51 AM »

I have a friend who does something similar, she gets so many cards punched through her work that she can usually treat friends to coffee on the weekends!

I know that this has been hashed out untold times here at MMM, but I still cannot fathom how much people spend on coffee and other drinks. I'm so glad that at work people don't care and will drink whatever we have. I think we make Folgers and no one really minds, if someone did ask me to upgrade the coffee beans I would, but am glad that no one has. It's a small office, I do keep a lookout for people bringing in their own coffee just in case they are doing it because ours is crap, but I don't notice anyone doing so.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #628 on: May 19, 2016, 02:23:48 PM »
It wasn't at work, but anti-antimustachian... I was at a museum event last night with a lot of older wealthy fancypants type people. I went to the ladies room afterwards there were a few people waiting in line. Some very fashionably-dressed woman comes in behind me and promptly cuts me in line (NYC, land of entitled assholes). She tells another woman "Oh! I love your shoes!" and the woman thanks her and continues washing her hands. Then she asks the woman with the nice shoes "Who are they?" meaning, you know, which designer made them. Because of course we all wear designer fucking shoes. The woman with the shoes gives her a bright smile and says "No idea. Got them at a thrift store." The woman who cut me in line seemed a bit taken aback... hahaha.
The classic 'chat and cut', as explained by Hizzoner Larry David https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77bW1aMAkhs

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #629 on: May 19, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »
The classic 'chat and cut', as explained by Hizzoner Larry David https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77bW1aMAkhs

Stuff like this is filed under "don't sweat the small stuff." If she needed to pee badly enough to cut me in line, that's OK. If she is such an awful person that cutting me in line and making me wait 27 more seconds to pee somehow makes her happy, then I feel sorry for her that her life is such a dreadful wasteland devoid of real meaning. Plus, she was on the elderly side, and I have a rule about not arguing with old ladies. :-)

Giro

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #630 on: May 20, 2016, 01:33:19 PM »
one of my gym rat friends was wearing a really bad tshirt that apparently he had torn working in the yard.  He walks up to me and tells me he needs to go to Goodwill and buy some more tshirts. 

Then he tells me about his latest trip to Goodwill where he got 4 dress shirts nearly new but had to pay to get them altered.  He said he negotiates at Goodwill and they usually give him 50% off. 

hahaha  LOVE THIS GUY. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #631 on: May 20, 2016, 01:55:31 PM »

Stuff like this is filed under "don't sweat the small stuff."

AGREED! I've gotten better about not getting all bothered by terrible drivers. I learned a good lesson from my sister's husband who whle driving was flicked off. I looked at him, as if expecting him to get angry, but he just shrugged and said, "Why should it affect my mood?"

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #632 on: May 20, 2016, 02:25:07 PM »
Heard this exchange just yesterday.

CW1: Those new Corvettes sure look nice
CW2: You should get one.  I bet you can afford the payments
CW1: I could afford to pay cash
CW2: (eyes wide) Really?!?  Why don't you get one?
CW1: Because I would rather not work into my 60's

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #633 on: May 20, 2016, 04:14:40 PM »

That's awesome. I should have said that to the coworker who suggested I buy a new car on payments a year out of college... I was driving a junker so I did buy a new (to me) much nicer vehicle a year or so later. The same coworker asked what my payment was. His eyes got pretty wide when I told him I didn't have one...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #634 on: May 20, 2016, 04:41:17 PM »

That's awesome. I should have said that to the coworker who suggested I buy a new car on payments a year out of college... I was driving a junker so I did buy a new (to me) much nicer vehicle a year or so later. The same coworker asked what my payment was. His eyes got pretty wide when I told him I didn't have one...
I STILL get that.  We bought our last cars in 2006 and 2009, paid cash.  I mean, we were in our late 30s/ early 40s.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #635 on: May 20, 2016, 05:49:07 PM »

I STILL get that.  We bought our last cars in 2006 and 2009, paid cash.  I mean, we were in our late 30s/ early 40s.

We did that in 2011, and it's the car we're still driving. The fact that we have a 4-year-old car and commute to work together so that we only need one car seems to mystify my colleagues. And I'm like... It's cheap, it runs fine, it's great on gas, and we like each other enough to chat for 45 minutes 2 days a week. What's the problem?

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #636 on: May 20, 2016, 10:00:42 PM »
I heard my warehouse manager castigating a warehouse worker for not cooking more. He was giving him advice on things to make and I suggested he use his slow cooker to make things like chili.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #637 on: May 21, 2016, 06:43:12 AM »

I think a large number of people assume that if you have a car that is less than 10 years old (or more) that you financed it to buy it.

I cannot recall a time when people talked about a paid off car at work that was not in this situation, particularly at my past employer (current immediate team is all super MMM like lol so I'd guess none of us have loans other than one guy with a mortgage).

.x.

• Bristles
« Reply #638 on: May 21, 2016, 08:29:01 AM »
Really, I'm posting to follow, but I do remember a guy who bought a fancy new corvette and then resorted to saying "This is not a mid-life crisis car" every time someone admired it.  Ha!  Dude, that was totally a mid-life crisis car.  There was no way he could afford that car.  Had to sell it soon after. 

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #639 on: May 21, 2016, 09:04:34 AM »
Really, I'm posting to follow, but I do remember a guy who bought a fancy new corvette and then resorted to saying "This is not a mid-life crisis car" every time someone admired it.  Ha!  Dude, that was totally a mid-life crisis car.  There was no way he could afford that car.  Had to sell it soon after.

I told my husband recently that if he was ever looking for a mid-life crisis hobby in the future (we're 25 and 26), he had to pick something with a high resale value. He suggested rare books. I told him that was OK.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #640 on: May 21, 2016, 02:07:19 PM »
I think a large number of people assume that if you have a car that is less than 10 years old (or more) that you financed it to buy it.

I cannot recall a time when people talked about a paid off car at work that was not in this situation, particularly at my past employer (current immediate team is all super MMM like lol so I'd guess none of us have loans other than one guy with a mortgage).
Presumably a MMM (if they were to buy a new car rather than the proscribed official bike+trailer) would get a loan rather than pay cash?
Car loans are <1% (according to the annoying radio ad) I can do a lot better with that $20k-30k than 1%

ambimammular

• Bristles
« Reply #641 on: May 22, 2016, 07:16:43 AM »

I told my husband recently that if he was ever looking for a mid-life crisis hobby in the future (we're 25 and 26), he had to pick something with a high resale value. He suggested rare books. I told him that was OK.

I like this! What else would make mustachian (or even better, lucrative) mid-life crises? Marathon training, instrument learning, hmmm

My dad bought a single engine airplane, and that thing went up in value big time. But I know he spent many dollars on insurance and pilot licenses.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #642 on: May 22, 2016, 07:31:04 AM »

I like this! What else would make mustachian (or even better, lucrative) mid-life crises? Marathon training, instrument learning, hmmm

My dad bought a single engine airplane, and that thing went up in value big time. But I know he spent many dollars on insurance and pilot licenses.

I think several kinds of craft hobby that involve making little items that are easy to sell to cover your costs might go well, like crafting small leather goods or carving small wood items.

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #643 on: May 22, 2016, 10:25:50 AM »

A couple of years ago I got sort of a mid life crisis when a cousin roughly the same age as me died of a stroke on a monday morning.

I bought a convertible.

But in order to buy it i sold my regular car, and the purhcase price for the convertible and sale price for the regular car was roughly the same, so I don't think it was that bad from a financial standpoint.

Now, a few years later I'm still in love with the convertible.  To drive down a small country road on a nice summer afternoon with the top down is still magic and brings a smile to my face every time. :)

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #644 on: May 22, 2016, 11:33:26 AM »

I think several kinds of craft hobby that involve making little items that are easy to sell to cover your costs might go well, like crafting small leather goods or carving small wood items.

Gardening. Baking.

Hell, I know a guy who took a few pastry-making classes in his early 30s. Seriously effective as a dating tactic: "oh, I was experimenting with millefeuilles - would you like to come try some?"

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #645 on: May 22, 2016, 03:15:25 PM »

My dad built an airplane as a midlife crisis. Or something like that. Probably wasn't very much per hour in terms of cost :-)  Lots of hours makes a high cost cheap per hour!

Murse

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #646 on: May 22, 2016, 06:58:43 PM »
I'm at a new job and there has been a student nurse around. It was her last day and she was asking about wages. Somehow her previous career came up (pharmacy technician) and she mentioned she had worked at that pharmacy for 20 years. Then she told me she had 500k in her 401k. 500k from 20 years as a pharmacy tech.

MrFrugalChicago

• Bristles
« Reply #647 on: May 23, 2016, 06:56:50 AM »
I'm at a new job and there has been a student nurse around. It was her last day and she was asking about wages. Somehow her previous career came up (pharmacy technician) and she mentioned she had worked at that pharmacy for 20 years. Then she told me she had 500k in her 401k. 500k from 20 years as a pharmacy tech.

Are you saying that is high or low?

500k is way way way above the US national average. So while not MMM levels, it is a pretty good stash. In 10 more years they may be able to retire.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #648 on: May 23, 2016, 07:38:25 AM »

500k is way way way above the US national average. So while not MMM levels, it is a pretty good stash. In 10 more years they may be able to retire.

Say WHAT? 4% of $500k is $20,000 a year. That is totally MMM levels of FIRE money.

Apples

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #649 on: May 23, 2016, 08:41:25 AM »

Say WHAT? 4% of $500k is $20,000 a year. That is totally MMM levels of FIRE money.

MMM levels would be much higher-after 20 years in a high paying field, a MMM person would have several million in retirement.