Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981382 times)

solon

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #500 on: February 17, 2016, 06:43:46 PM »
Campus story here. My lab partner is a college senior, early 20s. I asked if he knew what he wanted to do. "Yes. Aspire to live as simply as possible." 

Ah!  No wonder we get along.  Lead to great conversation about the real world outside academia. Breath of fresh air.

Later I said I was hoping to grocery shop on my day off and he talked about knowing he'd be really busy for a few weeks so he stocked up and is living off PBJ... But he splurged and got the healthy kinds.

Marry him now.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #501 on: February 17, 2016, 09:24:36 PM »
Campus story here. My lab partner is a college senior, early 20s. I asked if he knew what he wanted to do. "Yes. Aspire to live as simply as possible." 

Ah!  No wonder we get along.  Lead to great conversation about the real world outside academia. Breath of fresh air.

Later I said I was hoping to grocery shop on my day off and he talked about knowing he'd be really busy for a few weeks so he stocked up and is living off PBJ... But he splurged and got the healthy kinds.

Marry him now.

Invite him over so you can grind his nut butter

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #502 on: February 18, 2016, 06:05:54 AM »

Marry him now.

Invite him over so you can grind his nut butter

Invite yourself over to his place, fuck him, and when he's asleep, steal his fancy peanut butter and run away.
Didnt you sign an NDA for the second part of The Ex??

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #503 on: February 18, 2016, 06:52:36 AM »
One of our admins was saying "I know this is crazy, but I just paid cash for the car. It's so nice to not have a car payment."  I told her I had paid cash for my car too, and she said she didn't know anyone else who had done that.

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #504 on: February 18, 2016, 12:11:27 PM »
One of our admins was saying "I know this is crazy, but I just paid cash for the car. It's so nice to not have a car payment."  I told her I had paid cash for my car too, and she said she didn't know anyone else who had done that.

At my last job, my boss kept mocking my car (a 2011 honda fit that runs perfectly, is great on gas, and fulfills all our needs), and saying that everyone else had a nicer car than I did. I just said 'I have no car payments. Do you know anyone else in this company with a nicer car who can say that?' He shut up. (He was commuting through 1.5 hours of rush-hour traffic in an SUV, and I believe he recently declared bankruptcy, so... yeah.)

serpentstooth

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #505 on: February 18, 2016, 12:19:33 PM »
Went to Home depot first and they told me to get a plumber in!!! I think I just got lucky in Lowes..

Its always hit or miss at HD and Lowes. Same at the auto parts stores too. A portion of the clerks know something. I always hope to get one of them.

We used to have an old Mom 'n Pop auto parts store. Those guys had been selling auto parts for 30 years+. You needed a fuel pump for your '62 Studebaker? He knew it on sight and might even have one in stock. ;) Unfortunately cheap won out over good and they went out of business and the discount stores took over. Those guys scattered to the winds.

I went to Home Depot and asked where the lye was. Actual response from clerk, "You want to tell lies?" Finally got someone to take me to the right part of the plumbing department...

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #506 on: February 18, 2016, 02:12:53 PM »
Went to Home depot first and they told me to get a plumber in!!! I think I just got lucky in Lowes..

Its always hit or miss at HD and Lowes. Same at the auto parts stores too. A portion of the clerks know something. I always hope to get one of them.

We used to have an old Mom 'n Pop auto parts store. Those guys had been selling auto parts for 30 years+. You needed a fuel pump for your '62 Studebaker? He knew it on sight and might even have one in stock. ;) Unfortunately cheap won out over good and they went out of business and the discount stores took over. Those guys scattered to the winds.

I went to Home Depot and asked where the lye was. Actual response from clerk, "You want to tell lies?" Finally got someone to take me to the right part of the plumbing department...

This reminds me of searching for barley in both the grocery stores in my old town. I had to explain that it was a dried grain, looked similar to rice. It might be in a box, kind of like pasta. Or a bag like rice. "What do you want it for? Are you making beer?"  Uh. No. They didn't carry it. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #507 on: February 18, 2016, 02:48:29 PM »

This reminds me of searching for barley in both the grocery stores in my old town. I had to explain that it was a dried grain, looked similar to rice. It might be in a box, kind of like pasta. Or a bag like rice. "What do you want it for? Are you making beer?"  Uh. No. They didn't carry it.

I always thought beef barley soup was pretty common

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #508 on: February 18, 2016, 08:08:03 PM »
I have no idea what one does with barely. lol

Kitsune

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #509 on: February 19, 2016, 08:56:26 AM »

Cook it (erm... like rice, but longer - it's got more texture) and use it in a grain salad (add dried cranberries, a bit of feta, parsley, whatever tasty-looking crunchy veg you've got lying around) and add a vinaigrette (I like lemon, mustard, oil, but really, any vinaigrette will work).

Toss a handful or two of dried barley into a pot of soup (at least 30 minutes before you think it should be done) to add bulk and texture.

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #510 on: February 19, 2016, 09:23:17 AM »
I have only the very slimmest, meager idea, almost no idea at all in fact.

Unless it's what you use to brew American beer ?

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #511 on: February 19, 2016, 09:59:16 PM »

You dump it in stew. It's not really a complex procedure :-).

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #512 on: February 19, 2016, 11:39:38 PM »

It's OK nobodyspecial.  I thought your joke was funny.  ;)  Very astute of you to pick up on the typo.  I didn't notice it until you pointed it out. 

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #513 on: February 20, 2016, 06:13:04 AM »
Started a recent job.

Of my small team of 3, two of us are very Mustachian and the third has referenced articles (presumably sent to him by the third). The third also bikes to work. I might have sent him MMM articles a few years ago... :-)

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #514 on: February 20, 2016, 11:17:15 AM »
I was chatting with a coworker about the 401K.  I asked if she was going to increase her contribution and she said no, she already maxes it.  She is, however, very excited that she can increase her contribution when she turns 50 later this year and bummed that she has to wait until her birthday.

I'm pretty sure you can increase it in the calendar year you turn 50 and not have to wait for your birthday; at least that's how it is in my company.  You should have her check with the benefits department or HR.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #515 on: February 20, 2016, 11:29:39 AM »
I was chatting with a coworker about the 401K.  I asked if she was going to increase her contribution and she said no, she already maxes it.  She is, however, very excited that she can increase her contribution when she turns 50 later this year and bummed that she has to wait until her birthday.

I'm pretty sure you can increase it in the calendar year you turn 50 and not have to wait for your birthday; at least that's how it is in my company.  You should have her check with the benefits department or HR.

I believe that's true.  But even if not, why wouldn't she increase contributions to hit her $18k (or so she thought) max by her bday, then finish out the extra contributions after her bday?  Either way is doesn't make sense to me to keep on pace to hit $18k when you believe that your year end max is going to be $24k.

HairyUpperLip

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #516 on: February 22, 2016, 08:04:50 AM »

It's OK nobodyspecial.  I thought your joke was funny.  ;)  Very astute of you to pick up on the typo.  I didn't notice it until you pointed it out.

lololol - that's pretty funny. I did not catch the typo either.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #517 on: February 22, 2016, 08:19:12 AM »

I believe that's true.  But even if not, why wouldn't she increase contributions to hit her $18k (or so she thought) max by her bday, then finish out the extra contributions after her bday?  Either way is doesn't make sense to me to keep on pace to hit $18k when you believe that your year end max is going to be $24k.

You're likely splitting hairs with someone like this.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #518 on: February 22, 2016, 08:54:30 AM »

You might also be letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. She's maxing her account, for Pete's sake! If you care enough to post here, why don't you call HR yourself? If the answer is yes, both of you will benefit from that knowledge.

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #519 on: February 22, 2016, 09:15:01 AM »

You might also be letting the perfect be the enemy of the good. She's maxing her account, for Pete's sake! If you care enough to post here, why don't you call HR yourself? If the answer is yes, both of you will benefit from that knowledge.

But she's not actually maxing out her account.  No need to call HR, you can check with the IRS website.  Even if you don't believe that though, there's still no reason to actually wait for your bday to adjust your contributions higher.

SpeedReader

• Stubble
« Reply #520 on: March 02, 2016, 09:32:56 PM »
One of my younger co-workers mentioned wanting to find a financial planner.  I referred her to the fee-only guy who first showed me the MMM website.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #521 on: March 03, 2016, 12:22:13 AM »
We just hired a new CFO. I overheard my boss gossiping with the Treasury director about how she brings her own lunch. They were impressed, as am I.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #522 on: March 03, 2016, 06:16:54 AM »
One of my co-workers is reading Extreme Early Retirement...

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #523 on: March 03, 2016, 10:15:30 AM »
One of my co-workers is reading Extreme Early Retirement...
Niceeeee

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #524 on: March 03, 2016, 11:16:42 AM »
Just started a new job, and while we go for afternoon walks when someone wants to grab a smoothie (like, 5 of us go and one person gets a smoothie, just to stretch our legs), my project manager mentioned the other day in Starbucks that she calculated how much she's saving not going there anymore and she's so glad she stopped. I pointed out that my lunch is me copying Starbuck's fruit & cheese box, and she said she noticed my block of cheese in the fridge. Turns out she's trying to minimize food spending and stocks up when she visits the relatives' farm.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #525 on: March 03, 2016, 01:19:17 PM »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #526 on: March 03, 2016, 06:01:23 PM »
I walked into a conversation today where 3 people aged 26-45 were talking a 22 year out of buying a house with some buddy's of his.  Gotta love it when people are giving good advice to the younger ones!

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #527 on: March 09, 2016, 09:52:27 AM »
Today I heard my coworkers talking about the 401k. I just started and haven't found out the details yet, so my ears perked up.

CW1: but what if it goes down?
CW2: buy more VTI!

CW2 was saying it doesn't super matter if you have a risky allocation right now, since we're all young and will be rolling our 401ks over to something else in a few years, next time we change jobs.

Ralph2

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #528 on: March 14, 2016, 05:02:30 AM »
I overheard my co worker cancelling her cable subscription :) I also saw a guy put his 10yr old Nokia on the table in a meeting today (impressive that he both had the phone and didn't try to hide it).

Nothing wrong with a 3315, hard to get parts for today if you break it but. I just had to upgrade to a 301, damn thing has a camera in it.

Joshua.Snider

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #529 on: March 18, 2016, 06:54:20 PM »
A couple days ago I told a coworker I was going to increase my 401k contribution and they said they were already maxing theirs out.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #530 on: March 19, 2016, 03:33:59 AM »
A friend who is technically also a coworker came to a MMM Meetup today!! That counts, right?

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #531 on: March 19, 2016, 07:11:02 PM »
We have a relatively new hire at work, she is fresh out of college (and brilliant, in my opinion).
I had to hop on her computer while she was at lunch, and was happy to see her browser was open to a 401K enrollment page.

I had made a comment a week earlier that I'd wished I had a job that offered a 401K when I was her age.
Hopefully she went through with it and set it up.

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #532 on: March 19, 2016, 09:08:20 PM »
Posting to follow :)

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #533 on: March 19, 2016, 09:46:12 PM »
You can just press the notify button on the lower right ( or the upper right if your are down under ;)

ps. Sorry, thought it did the same as the "new replies"
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 11:09:25 PM by nobodyspecial »

Astatine

• Magnum Stache
  • Pronouns: they/them
« Reply #534 on: March 19, 2016, 09:55:18 PM »
You can just press the notify button on the lower right ( or the upper right if your are down under ;)

Notify = email notifications only. Which I find frigging annoying and not very useful. Posting in a thread means it shows up in my Unread Replies list.

The bolded did make me snort though.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #535 on: March 19, 2016, 10:07:37 PM »
Stopped by an after-work social and one of my co-workers was talking about a new car they had bought - around $38,000 worth of car.

I was sitting next to a new employee, a young lady, and I could tell she wasn't impressed.   Got to talking to her and she's got a good head on her shoulders.   She's already saving money and trying to ramp up her savings big time.

Ramblin' Ma'am

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #536 on: March 23, 2016, 01:47:01 PM »
Found out today that my 24-year-old coworker is saving 15% in her 401k!

I have coworkers in their 40s and 50s who don't save that much.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #537 on: March 23, 2016, 03:21:22 PM »
My wife is a high school math and science teacher. Last year she was appalled to discover a lot of the kids had not idea how money and credit really work. She asked me to speak to a couple of classes that are mostly seniors about money management and financial independence and I did. The students were really receptive but even more exciting one of the other math teachers started talking to younger kids about managing money. Now there are several posters hanging in the halls listing good wealth building habits!

Seppia

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #538 on: March 23, 2016, 04:45:11 PM »
This is awesome, congrats

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #539 on: March 23, 2016, 05:05:51 PM »
My wife is a high school math and science teacher. Last year she was appalled to discover a lot of the kids had not idea how money and credit really work. She asked me to speak to a couple of classes that are mostly seniors about money management and financial independence and I did. The students were really receptive but even more exciting one of the other math teachers started talking to younger kids about managing money. Now there are several posters hanging in the halls listing good wealth building habits!

This is great!  One of the biggest failings of our school systems is that they do not teach practical, applied math like this.  Make math something real and useful, not just abstract concepts.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #540 on: March 23, 2016, 06:43:52 PM »

This is great!  One of the biggest failings of our school systems is that they do not teach practical, applied math like this.  Make math something real and useful, not just abstract concepts.

Yeah, I've always liked math. I took 5 years of it in 4 years of high school including calculus and consumer math and it has definitely made my life better. None of those or any other class I took suggested the approach of "buying what makes you happier" rather than what "how much can you possibly spend" though. Seeing it on a kids school poster made my day.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #541 on: March 24, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »

Yeah, I've always liked math. I took 5 years of it in 4 years of high school including calculus and consumer math and it has definitely made my life better. None of those or any other class I took suggested the approach of "buying what makes you happier" rather than what "how much can you possibly spend" though. Seeing it on a kids school poster made my day.
You are a reminding me of a class in high school that talked about consumer saving.  The take-away for me was this: it's not what you SAVE, it's what you SPEND.  It doesn't MATTER if you save 50%.  If you spend $50 on something, you just spent $50. It's better to spend LESS.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #542 on: March 24, 2016, 02:03:57 PM »

I often wanted to re-name math class to "money and power" class. I think it would boost attendance.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #543 on: March 24, 2016, 02:28:51 PM »
I often wanted to re-name math class to "money and power" class. I think it would boost attendance.

That's a great idea.

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #544 on: March 24, 2016, 02:37:58 PM »

That's a great idea.

English would become "Manipulation, Mind Control, and Stand Up Comedy". History would become "Sex and Violence", Physics would become "Ballistics", Biology would become "Living things and forensics", Chemistry would become "Explosions", Science would become "Adventure", any foreign language would become "Espionage", Phys Ed would be "Weaponry and martial arts", Civics would become "Global Domination", and the Fine Arts classes would stay as they are.

Everyone would want to come to my school. It would be a training ground for future superheros. But aside from adding a small amount of practical stuff and focusing the classes more on the new topic to make them less boring, the content wouldn't really change.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #545 on: March 24, 2016, 03:21:55 PM »

That's a great idea.

English would become "Manipulation, Mind Control, and Stand Up Comedy". History would become "Sex and Violence", Physics would become "Ballistics", Biology would become "Living things and forensics", Chemistry would become "Explosions", Science would become "Adventure", any foreign language would become "Espionage", Phys Ed would be "Weaponry and martial arts", Civics would become "Global Domination", and the Fine Arts classes would stay as they are.

Everyone would want to come to my school. It would be a training ground for future superheros. But aside from adding a small amount of practical stuff and focusing the classes more on the new topic to make them less boring, the content wouldn't really change.

That sounds amazing, but I think foreign languages is undersold here: it's really "Espionage and swearing".

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #546 on: March 24, 2016, 03:29:11 PM »

That's a great idea.

I feel like you could get a chemistry / food thing in there too.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #547 on: March 24, 2016, 03:32:35 PM »

That's a great idea.

fine arts (especially upper level) = Narcissism and Nudity

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #548 on: March 24, 2016, 04:20:07 PM »

That's a great idea.

Bullshit and Legitimate Nudity?

(I speak as a career creative here...)

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #549 on: March 24, 2016, 04:30:56 PM »

That's a great idea.

Bullshit and Legitimate Nudity?

(I speak as a career creative here...)

"Bullshit" is actually the title of a separate course formerly known as religious studies. It's because every religion out there thinks it's the right one, and the rest are bullshit. So if we're studying more than two religions, by definition it's going to be a majority-bullshit class.

The school would be called something awesome, like "TheGrimSqueaker's Academy of World Domination".

However, I refuse to separate geometry from algebra (in the Money and Power courses). It's an asinine way to try to teach math.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!