Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981471 times)

music lover

• Pencil Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #300 on: June 23, 2015, 02:19:26 PM »
A co-worker/friend and his wife recently sold their paid off house and bought one that was $80,000 less.

They then put a portion of the proceeds towards the down payment on a rental property.
That's friggin' awesome. +1

Yup...they do very well with their money. It's also good for me...as I'm handy, they will pay me to do a few renos/updates for things they can't do or don't have time to do themselves. I have never charged friends or family to help with projects, but this is a rental property, not their home, and they are treating it as a business and want me to as well.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #301 on: June 23, 2015, 02:36:31 PM »
CW told me this morning that he tracks his electricity usage and costs tightly. He averages the usage of the past 3 years for that month and predicts his bill to immediately see when there's an issue.

He's excited to be updating the insulation in his attic so he can track just how much money it saves him and if it's close to what the company is promising.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #302 on: June 23, 2015, 02:44:17 PM »
A co-worker/friend and his wife recently sold their paid off house and bought one that was $80,000 less.

They then put a portion of the proceeds towards the down payment on a rental property.

Sounds like a good idea. This is for the bad ideas.

Nope-- this is the anti- anti- thread.  Negative of a negative is a positve, sorta.  This is a great story for this thread.  In that vein, our neighbors are looking to downsize, and have asked us to give them "first dibs" when we are ready to move!

too many thread subscriptions.
Maybe i have been posting my stuff in the wrong one all along.
This is what i get for "skimming" when i read.

Please remove me from this list, thanks.
Please don't reply all.

Everybody STOP REPLYING ALL!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #303 on: June 23, 2015, 02:48:35 PM »

Nope-- this is the anti- anti- thread.  Negative of a negative is a positve, sorta.  This is a great story for this thread.  In that vein, our neighbors are looking to downsize, and have asked us to give them "first dibs" when we are ready to move!

Please don't reply all.

I WILL REPLY ALL UNTIL MY NAME IS TAKEN OFF THIS LIST!!!!

Joggernot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #304 on: June 23, 2015, 03:49:25 PM »

Please don't reply all.

Just click on the "Unnotify" button at the top or bottom of this page and you won't receive any more notices.  But maybe that isn't what you're asking for?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #305 on: June 23, 2015, 04:44:00 PM »

Please don't reply all.

Just click on the "Unnotify" button at the top or bottom of this page and you won't receive any more notices.  But maybe that isn't what you're asking for?

If you keep sending me message, I will contact the cyber police.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #306 on: June 23, 2015, 05:12:44 PM »

Please don't reply all.

If you keep sending me message, I will contact the cyber police.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #307 on: June 23, 2015, 06:34:24 PM »
C-C-C-Combo breaker!

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #308 on: June 24, 2015, 12:17:10 AM »

Actually, the two "anti" prefixes cancel each other, so that make this the "mustachian" edition.  For the good ideas.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #309 on: June 24, 2015, 11:44:19 AM »

Actually, the two "anti" prefixes cancel each other, so that make this the "mustachian" edition.  For the good ideas.

What's the opposite of a mustache?  A beard maybe?  "Dr. Spendy McBeardFace"

« Last Edit: June 24, 2015, 11:46:20 AM by dragoncar »

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #310 on: June 24, 2015, 11:52:44 AM »

What's the opposite of a mustache?  A beard maybe?  "Dr. Spendy McBeardFace"

The opposite of a mustache is an amish beard. I view the Amish as quite a Mustachian people, so even that won't work.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #311 on: June 25, 2015, 11:48:10 AM »
My warehouse manager just asked if we were taking the following Friday or Monday off, due to Independence Day (truck companies were calling him to ask). I overheard one of the guys in our warehouse ask, "If they are open between the days, I would prefer Friday." I asked my warehouse manager about it a little while later, and he said, "He drives for Uber to make some extra cash and will be doing so on Independence Day as well." 

greengardens

• Stubble
« Reply #312 on: June 27, 2015, 02:54:47 PM »
our receptionist likes to stop by my office throughout the day to chat as I'm the only one in the office close to her age (she's early 20s I'm late 20s everyone else is 40+). One day we were talking about saving money. I asked her why she brought bottled water everyday when we had a water cooler. She said 'oh it's not that much, you can buy a big case at Walmart for cheap' I explained that she could buy a $2 reusable water bottle and drink for free here at work and it'd pay for itself in a month (or sooner). I thought she was going to ignore me but this last week she started bringing in a reusable water bottle! It's not huge but hopefully she'll be open to my other suggestions in the future (like opting in to our 401k)...

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #313 on: June 27, 2015, 04:46:25 PM »
I told some coworkers about the benefits of owning index funds in IRAs. So they opened IRAs.

Coercivity

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #314 on: July 11, 2015, 09:01:05 AM »
While we were operating yesterday, the neurosurgeon mentioned that he had to borrow his dad's car for the day because his own was in for servicing. When I asked him what car he drove, he said it was a 15 year old Subaru. All the other staff in the theatre were shocked and asked him why he just didn't buy a new car and his reply was "I don't think it's worth it". Then he conceded that his dad's Mercedes was a fun drive and he would consider getting a second hand one once his Subaru died. I was super impressed given the amount of money he must be rolling in.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #315 on: July 11, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
One of my coworkers was drinking a Kroger-brand can of sparkling water. She said she had been buying La Croix from the vending machine, but then she realized she could buy a twelve-pack of store brand for $2.50 on sale and bring her own.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #316 on: July 11, 2015, 08:16:22 PM »
One of my coworkers was drinking a Kroger-brand can of sparkling water. She said she had been buying La Croix from the vending machine, but then she realized she could buy a twelve-pack of store brand for $2.50 on sale and bring her own.

My wife loves sparkling water, which I don't get, but she, too, buys the Kroger brand, which I do like.

dsmexpat

• Stubble
« Reply #317 on: July 11, 2015, 09:23:40 PM »
New job and I was hanging out with the accounting department while they showed me how to access some stuff I'll need. I mentioned the various different retirement plans on offer and we started spreadsheeting the potential outcomes of each with different contributions and years of service. Was the nerdiest shit I've been a part of, I had a sudden feeling of belonging, like I had found my people.

In a later separate discussion I was talking about that first discussion with one of our techs. He mentioned that he'd picked this up as a casual retirement job because we have a pretty good defined pension plan and although he built his 401k up during his time in the private sector the chance to let it compound for another decade while this job covers living expenses and then cuts him a check, every month, forever was too good to miss.

I'm part of an organization which is criminally bad at managing its money but seems to be largely composed of people who are good at managing their money.

maco

• Bristles
« Reply #318 on: July 13, 2015, 04:03:14 PM »
The main difference is that he was offered a competitive market rate, whereas the director had been at the company for years receiving paltry raises. Over the years I had multiple people tell me that the only way to get a fair salary was to leave the company and come back as an external candidate. When I hired two FT employees in the same week, one internal and one external, I saw firsthand how unfairly the salary offers were calculated.

I just got a job offer last week that's going to be a 26% increase in base salary. My annuals have been 3% with 7% the year I got a promotion/titlebump.

Quinn

« Reply #319 on: July 22, 2015, 02:19:25 PM »
Someone at work has brought in a rice cooker to cook dinners. I'm very tickled by the sight of a rice cooker in the pantry area happily puffing away around 7pm every other day.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #320 on: July 22, 2015, 05:14:30 PM »
Someone at work has brought in a rice cooker to cook dinners. I'm very tickled by the sight of a rice cooker in the pantry area happily puffing away around 7pm every other day.
this is cool.  When we had a night shift, they cooked all the time. Rice cooker, electric skillet, George Foreman, crock pot,.

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #321 on: July 22, 2015, 05:29:56 PM »
This isn't a coworker story, but a client story:

He is a self-made man, an entrepreneur who started his own business and it is a successful one (its been going for 40 years). He still does all his own repairs on the business equipment despite having enough money to pay someone. He also does a lot of the maintenance on the company trucks. I think he just enjoys the work/tinkering. And he drives a crappy old van from the 90s as his personal vehicle. All of this is pretty cool, but before you think he might not actually be that wealthy, he drops this A-Bomb: He owns 25 rental properties. One of these rental properties is an apartment building with probably about 10 units.

...Oh and he does his own repairs on his rental properties too.

I think he works about 80 hours a week and he's past retirement age. So I guess he never really figured out the retirement part, but he sure has the financial independence down pat.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #322 on: July 23, 2015, 01:49:06 AM »
Sounds more like he just likes this work too much to stop and keeps the money only as a counter that he does it right.

Rufus.T.Firefly

• Bristles
« Reply #323 on: July 23, 2015, 05:10:36 AM »
Sounds more like he just likes this work too much to stop and keeps the money only as a counter that he does it right.

Yeah, I definitely think there is some truth to this.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #324 on: July 23, 2015, 07:48:46 AM »

The opposite of a mustache is an amish beard. I view the Amish as quite a Mustachian people, so even that won't work.
Oh no. The opposite of a mustache is a mullet... Cousin Brokeass Mullethead.

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #325 on: July 24, 2015, 01:52:44 PM »
A friend of mine called me up the other day, and asked if I'd like to work a couple days with him. At $20/hr, and currently looking for work, my answer was obvious. Hell yes.

I've know this friend for 12 years now (he's 28), and I never get tired of talking to him. We're sitting in his work truck, and we start talking about his goals for the next three months, and he grins a little and tells me this:

1) I'm going to sell my rental property for $235k next week. I bought it 5 years ago for $145k. Selling to my tenant. No agents :)

2) I'm taking the $75k I intend to net after taxes, adding $115k from my savings, and paying off my primary residence. (He owes $190k, assessed at $290k)

3) I'm getting a HELOC for $230k and I'm going house hunting so I can start flipping houses on the weekend.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #326 on: July 30, 2015, 08:41:01 AM »
There's a guy at work who's replacing his own timing belt.  In the meantime, he's riding his bike to work (3.5 miles).  Does that count as a double win?

He jokes that maybe he'll leave the job half-done (the car's 20 years old anyways) so that he *has* to keep riding his bike...

Phenix

• Bristles
« Reply #327 on: July 30, 2015, 10:32:31 AM »
There's a guy at work who's replacing his own timing belt.  In the meantime, he's riding his bike to work (3.5 miles).  Does that count as a double win?

He jokes that maybe he'll leave the job half-done (the car's 20 years old anyways) so that he *has* to keep riding his bike...

Serious double win.  I think a guy like that would appreciate the MMM lifestyle.

RidinTheAsama

• Stubble
« Reply #328 on: July 30, 2015, 12:18:19 PM »
There’s a guy I’ve worked with for about 2 years and have often considered describing some of his decisions in the Anti-Mustachian thread… car choices, excessive apple products, various gadgets, etc.  I've made a few light comments about the 'necessity' of some of the costs he has complained about but withheld the true facepunches I was itching to throw.

But just last week we had a conversation turn to finances and he told me how his family had discovered YNAB and had totally turned things around – paid down their debts by $15,000 in the last 3 months and on track to have them wiped out ages earlier than they ever thought possible. 

I am really happy for him and have gained some hope for society in general after seeing someone like that make such a big change.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #329 on: July 31, 2015, 01:36:07 PM »

Serious double win.  I think a guy like that would appreciate the MMM lifestyle.

Allegedly short drives are bad for your car because it doesn't properly warm up (and maybe other reasons too, I forget). So he "shouldn't" be using his car for such a short drive anyway!

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #330 on: July 31, 2015, 02:56:41 PM »

Allegedly short drives are bad for your car because it doesn't properly warm up (and maybe other reasons too, I forget). So he "shouldn't" be using his car for such a short drive anyway!
He's also said that he's hoping this car will be the one his kids will use when they get old enough to drive.  His oldest is 10.  That means it'll technically be a classic when his oldest starts learning, right?

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #331 on: August 02, 2015, 03:17:21 PM »

I can attest to this alleged problem. During the winter, if I turn my car off after 2 minutes of driving to run into the grocery store, I have a difficult time turning it back on. i don't like to leave my car running while I run into a store, but I almost feel like I should bc of this issue. Instead, I've tried to let my car warm up longer before turning it off.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #332 on: August 02, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »
I can attest to this alleged problem. During the winter, if I turn my car off after 2 minutes of driving to run into the grocery store, I have a difficult time turning it back on. i don't like to leave my car running while I run into a store, but I almost feel like I should bc of this issue. Instead, I've tried to let my car warm up longer before turning it off.

This is likely to be down to the fact that car batteries, which are typically lead acid based technology, don't like cold temperatures. They can't provide as much current to start the car and struggle to recharge even though the car's alternator is providing enough current to do so. Coupled with the short journey time and the fact that cold engines need a higher current pulse to overcome the friction than warm engines explains why you're having a hard time starting it the second time around!

Leaving your car to warm up helps because it allows the battery more time to recover from it's high energy output, the alternator to give it more energy to recharge and the engine to reduce the amount of friction it needs to get going!

RidinTheAsama

• Stubble
« Reply #333 on: August 04, 2015, 05:02:27 PM »

This is likely to be down to the fact that car batteries, which are typically lead acid based technology, don't like cold temperatures. They can't provide as much current to start the car and struggle to recharge even though the car's alternator is providing enough current to do so. Coupled with the short journey time and the fact that cold engines need a higher current pulse to overcome the friction than warm engines explains why you're having a hard time starting it the second time around!

Leaving your car to warm up helps because it allows the battery more time to recover from it's high energy output, the alternator to give it more energy to recharge and the engine to reduce the amount of friction it needs to get going!

This might all be true, but I think a better solution would be to walk to the grocery store that is apparently only a 2 minute drive away...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #334 on: August 05, 2015, 07:17:54 AM »
This might all be true, but I think a better solution would be to walk to the grocery store that is apparently only a 2 minute drive away...
ZING
I live more than a two-minute drive from the store, and if I really don't have time to walk... I bike.

Geostache

• Stubble
« Reply #335 on: August 07, 2015, 07:35:02 PM »
I had an entire conversation with a co-worker today about the head-scratching that ensues when trying to figure out people who live the typical consumer sucka lifestyle. We discussed philosophies on raising children (ie, not spoiled and learning how to earn and responsibly use money), credit card debt (none, of course), and the general WTF-ness of people who can't manage their way out of a financial paper bag. Granted, she tends to go out for lunch on a daily basis, but at least she has her financial house in order.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #336 on: August 10, 2015, 09:58:14 AM »
Can I also use this for the Anti-AntiMustachian Edition of Overheard on Facebook?

Old highschool friend announced she is about to start saving $200 a month on utilities now that her solar panels have finished being installed.

Good for her on installing the panels, but she's going to be saving $200 per month?! Jeez, either her electric bills are really high or she installed an entire solar panel farm and is essentially off-grid. I've only been paying around $150 per month to cool a 2200+ sqft. house, and this is summertime in Houston! I even pay extra for 100% Wind Power. Is this some place with really high rates (Hawaii)?

Didn't you people hear?!?!?!

Green technologies don't work. We MUST keep burning stuff or else the world will go dark forever... ;)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #337 on: August 10, 2015, 10:01:20 AM »

If it is so cold the car may not start again if turned off after the 30-60 minutes it takes to grocery shop; it may be too cold for most people to feel they can safely walk that distance.

RidinTheAsama

• Stubble
« Reply #338 on: August 10, 2015, 01:22:29 PM »

If it is so cold the car may not start again if turned off after the 30-60 minutes it takes to grocery shop; it may be too cold for most people to feel they can safely walk that distance.

For "most people" (ie leaving out those with rare auto-immune disorders and such), what's unsafe about walking outside in the cold? 
If you live in a cold place, you should have appropriate clothing.  If the weather is so abnormally severe to restrict walking, you probably shouldn't be driving either - eat some leftovers and walk to the store tomorrow.

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #339 on: August 10, 2015, 02:07:21 PM »
My husband has been minding a friend's garden.  He brought home five GIANT zucchinis, and was going to throw them in our compost pile because he knew we would not get around to cooking them.  "Wait!" Said I.  "I will take them to the special table in our break room where people leave things they don't want!" 

They were gone in an hour. 

Every large office needs such a special table in the break room.

I put one outside my office door for all the "treasures" that anyone is discarding. Old tech gear such as DVD players or Rokus or in my case most of an old socket set I found in my tools stash at home. Time for someone else to use it. I have a nicer full set of sockets (socket wrenches...). Garden veggies have happened a few times. Have a friend who gardens heavily and grows more than his family cares to try to eat. We get to help him eat it. ;)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #340 on: August 10, 2015, 02:12:35 PM »

For "most people" (ie leaving out those with rare auto-immune disorders and such), what's unsafe about walking outside in the cold? 
If you live in a cold place, you should have appropriate clothing.  If the weather is so abnormally severe to restrict walking, you probably shouldn't be driving either - eat some leftovers and walk to the store tomorrow.

We have days with -40F windchills.  Unless you can cover every inch of skin (and even with a mask, this can be very difficult to do), you shouldn't walk much further than from parking space to building.  Just a few minutes of exposure can cause severe frostbite.   And even on those days, cars still start.  If there is danger the car won't start this is well below normal levels of "cold".

Walk tomorrow? Oh- is winter over?  Places where you have to worry about your car not starting are not typical climates for most people.

(And yes- I have walk-commuted in the winter, about 2 miles. Once it gets below -30, I had someone drive me. I could not figure out a way to keep my feet fully warm, no matter the wool socks, plastic bags, and snow boots. The fact that my glasses froze to my nose so painfully I had to walk without them, thus not being able to see, also really sucked.)

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #341 on: August 10, 2015, 02:16:15 PM »
It continues to amaze me that so many people fail to realize modern climate control didn't exist before (hint) modern times. In all reality, extreme heat and cold are piddly shit to a sufficiently motivated human. Today's fabrics make it even easier than it was for early humans. I'm from friggin' Hawaii and I've managed to adapt to subzero temperatures numerous times in my life, generally on short notice.

It's not rocket science: base layer, mid layer, shell, boots, gloves, scarf, hat... and if it's bad enough, a down layer between mid and shell. I can come in sweating on a polar vortex day if I actually exert myself.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #342 on: August 10, 2015, 02:17:53 PM »
(And yes- I have walk-commuted in the winter, about 2 miles. Once it gets below -30, I had someone drive me. I could not figure out a way to keep my feet fully warm, no matter the wool socks, plastic bags, and snow boots. The fact that my glasses froze to my nose so painfully I had to walk without them, thus not being able to see, also really sucked.)
-30? We'll allow it, temporarily. ;)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #343 on: August 10, 2015, 02:25:43 PM »
It continues to amaze me that so many people fail to realize modern climate control didn't exist before (hint) modern times. In all reality, extreme heat and cold are piddly shit to a sufficiently motivated human. Today's fabrics make it even easier than it was for early humans. I'm from friggin' Hawaii and I've managed to adapt to subzero temperatures numerous times in my life, generally on short notice.

It's not rocket science: base layer, mid layer, shell, boots, gloves, scarf, hat... and if it's bad enough, a down layer between mid and shell. I can come in sweating on a polar vortex day if I actually exert myself.

Eh, people used to die from exposure in the winter too.
They would also die from starvation if they were stuck home too long and their supplies ran out.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:27:32 PM by iowajes »

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #344 on: August 10, 2015, 02:26:44 PM »
Poor people without the means or materials to protect themselves, generally.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #345 on: August 10, 2015, 02:29:19 PM »
Poor people without the means or materials to protect themselves, generally.

Like a car? So I don't have to walk when it is -40F?

:)

Historically, people did not go outside in these extreme temperatures where I live. School was often canceled during the extremes of winter. They would go to the barn, very near the house- specifically due to the weather, to take care of the animals, and back to the house.  Once there was sufficient snow, they would often build tunnels so they weren't exposed while doing that walk.   Walking into town did not happen in these extreme temperatures. If you had to travel, you might take a sled, covered in blankets with heated rocks (or potatoes if you were lucky!) in your pocket; but still you traveled faster than walking.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 02:31:43 PM by iowajes »

Papa Mustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #346 on: August 11, 2015, 05:54:14 AM »
Consultant employee purchased brand new F150 crewcab 4x4. Commutes to work with it 5x weekly and tows camper 2x / month in summer.

I camp at a $8 campsite with my $300 mountaineering tent. Best part is I don't have to empty the waste tank on an RV.
Helped to inspire another guy to fix his own truck. $550 quote from mechanic to change alternator. I watched a YouTube video on how to do it, and told him I would do it for $250 and a case of beer. He looked it up himself and then did it that weekend. Cost him $120 in parts.

I love this story. This can be SUCH a money saver.

Researched and bought a/c compressor tools this weekend for ~$35 to change my car's a/c compressor clutch. Clutch is $60. Once upon a time I paid $175 to get this same job done (noisy bearing behind the clutch). After this I'll have the tool kit to use again, loan out to friends (brownie points for when I need a helping hand in return) or to sell.

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #347 on: August 11, 2015, 06:16:54 AM »
Manager noted today that winning lotto usually doesn't help anyone because if you don't already know how to manage money, more money will just get wasted.

I agreed with her enthusiastically :D

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #348 on: August 11, 2015, 07:31:25 AM »
Our CEO (CEO!) who makes literal millions drives an early-model Ford Explorer to work.  I think it is a 2001. 

Also, every year when we have profit sharing, he implores all of our employees to use the money to pay of debt (especially credit card debt) or invest it if you are debt-free.  He is a genuinely great role model.

He's also in his 70s, so not a proponent of Early Retirement, but I still like him!

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #349 on: August 11, 2015, 07:39:38 AM »

Of course! I was just explaining the why :)