Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981424 times)

marty998

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #250 on: March 30, 2015, 05:05:51 AM »
Oh man I feel like crap now... thanks Melody. Not that I'm complaining too much but why do I seem to earn so much less than everyone else in my profession?

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #251 on: March 30, 2015, 06:17:37 AM »
These numbers include super and indicative bonus. The bonuses are written into our contract so there isn't a lot of discretion with paying them and they fit a range linked to salary. The numbers stated include a midpoint bonus. Of the three I have received two have been more and one slightly less.
I'd say the following contribute to my high salary at least compared to my age:
- high paying industry
- highly qualified (CPA)
- Luck (Getting in with a company that has a reputation as a good payer - although not the best in the industry)
- being in Perth (Perth salaries are higher... check the Hays salary guide, I was pretty surprised!)
- aggressively managing career but not by chasing the money but chasing opportunities to grow... As a uni student I worked for $12 an hour while my friends made half as much again in retail/hospitality in order to get experience. When I was ready for my next move I took this job with good opportunities and a decent salary rather than higher paid ones which would have pigeonholed me. I am currently looking for my next side-step into a better paying line of work - I went tax > management accounting and now hoping to go to analyst. (Pay in these fields goes up in this order, as does competition for entry level roles. I'd never have gotten the management accounting entry level stuff without the tax, just as I doubt anyone would have considered me for an entry level analyst role 3 years ago).

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: April 04, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »
I'm visiting my father in CA this weekend.  I noticed a large portion of his front lawn looked uniformly dead.  He said "round up."  He's getting ready to dig up part of his yard and landscape it to reduce the amount of grass he needs to water.  Aside from the water shortage, he said paying $100 to keep his grass green just wasn't worth it anymore.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: April 04, 2015, 01:04:02 PM »
I told a few of my coworkers about Ting and how I pay ~$30/mo for my phone service (compared to their $100+). After looking at the rate chart, one of them took my referral code. The other is looking at craigslist for a used bike. And I've been asked to share my frugal knowledge & resources. :D

This is awesome, @tofuchampion! Makes for interesting lunch room conversation!

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #254 on: April 06, 2015, 11:58:38 AM »
I'm visiting my father in CA this weekend.  I noticed a large portion of his front lawn looked uniformly dead.  He said "round up."  He's getting ready to dig up part of his yard and landscape it to reduce the amount of grass he needs to water.  Aside from the water shortage, he said paying $100 to keep his grass green just wasn't worth it anymore.

I haven't watered my lawn since perhaps november and it's still green (and its not like we've have regular rain since then either).  I think I'll be able to get away with once every week or every other week in the summer, but I guess we'll see.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #255 on: April 06, 2015, 12:34:25 PM »
I told a few of my coworkers about Ting and how I pay ~$30/mo for my phone service (compared to their $100+). After looking at the rate chart, one of them took my referral code. The other is looking at craigslist for a used bike. And I've been asked to share my frugal knowledge & resources. :D

This is awesome, @tofuchampion! Makes for interesting lunch room conversation!

Thanks!

I found out the other night that another coworker is starting to do credit card churning to earn money to pay for her wedding.

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #256 on: April 10, 2015, 03:40:45 PM »
I have a co-worker with a net worth in the multi-millions that rides his bike to work in the summer and drives a beat-up 90s model civic in the winters. Everybody talks about him like he's crazy for spending a couple thousand dollars on a bicycle (which he rides probably close to 200 miles per week), but lives in a small house and drives an old car.
He is clearly FI and aware of it, but he comes in just so he can irritate our boss as much as possible. This guy is secretly my hero.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #257 on: April 11, 2015, 05:15:14 AM »
I have a co-worker with a net worth in the multi-millions that rides his bike to work in the summer and drives a beat-up 90s model civic in the winters. Everybody talks about him like he's crazy for spending a couple thousand dollars on a bicycle (which he rides probably close to 200 miles per week), but lives in a small house and drives an old car.
He is clearly FI and aware of it, but he comes in just so he can irritate our boss as much as possible. This guy is secretly my hero.
Well, sounds perfectly logical to me: If you use something a lot, get high quality (and pay it), if you dont need it that much, keep your money tight. Why shoudl he pay a few thousands on a car he seldom uses and then buy a cheapo bike?
He comes in just to irritate the boss? And gets paid for it? Now THAT is what I would call badassity :P

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #258 on: April 11, 2015, 07:01:55 PM »
Well, sounds perfectly logical to me: If you use something a lot, get high quality (and pay it), if you dont need it that much, keep your money tight. Why shoudl he pay a few thousands on a car he seldom uses and then buy a cheapo bike?
He comes in just to irritate the boss? And gets paid for it? Now THAT is what I would call badassity :P

Please share my stories about this guy.

Taswegian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #259 on: April 12, 2015, 04:09:10 AM »
While I was eating lunch today in the small cafeteria at work, another employee was extolling the virtues of biking to work.  He mentioned never regretting riding his bike to work even when it was cold out, how efficient the exercise was, and he even spoke of the cost savings.  I almost asked if he was familiar with the MMM website.
The first rule of MMM is we don't talk about MMM ;)

frugledoc

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: April 12, 2015, 06:01:45 AM »

Thanks!

I found out the other night that another coworker is starting to do credit card churning to earn money to pay for her wedding.
[/quote]

Lets hope she doesn't f**k it up like the vast majority of consumers do. Ending up with high interest debt just to get some cashback.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #261 on: April 13, 2015, 09:01:30 PM »

Lets hope she doesn't f**k it up like the vast majority of consumers do. Ending up with high interest debt just to get some cashback.

She already uses a rewards card for most things, and never carries a balance, so I think she'll be okay. She's looking into sign-up bonuses now.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #262 on: April 13, 2015, 09:05:10 PM »
... he comes in just so he can irritate our boss as much as possible. This guy is secretly my hero.

Nice...

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #263 on: April 23, 2015, 04:02:24 PM »
At my first company, the CEO had a little gathering out in the parking lot as he drove his car, some vanilla Japanese small sedan model I don't recall, around the lot to hit 200k on the odometer.  Also, just about everyone in the R&D department brought their lunches in to work, when there was some remodeling of the building they deliberately made a nice lunch room to encourage that.  We had a lot of our most productive discussions there. 

My father-in-law, German, was puzzled by why our CEO would drive such an old car, he didn't think it was right for a CEO to drive that, but he had strong views on what was proper for various economic brackets. . . :)

Logic_Lady

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #264 on: April 24, 2015, 10:30:38 PM »
Today at happy hour after work:

CW1 and CW2 are talking about CW1's friend, who went to Coachella.

CW1: My friend snuck into a Coachella party. Well she didn't really sneak in, she paid half for a wristband and split it with a friend. It was like $250 and she didn't even get to go in until 9pm. She was just sitting outside the venue all day. She posted on her facebook like "oh I got to see [band]."

CW2: I saw [band] in LA for $30. Coachella is such a waste of money. With the livestream there's no reason to actually go, except to say you were there.

CW1: Yeah, with transportation and the campsite and whatever stuff you buy there it's like $1000. I could just take a picture of myself with a random background and be like "I'm at Coachella, this is awesome" and no one would know the difference.

CW2: You know how I saved a lot of money? By not going to Coachella.

CW1: No-chella! [They bump fists]

And then, when I'm talking to another coworker.

Me: Yeah, I have to fly to Vegas and back every week [for a temporary work assignment].

CW3: So do you party a lot?

Me: No, I don't know anyone there. It would be weird going out alone and besides I don't want to spend a lot of money.

CW3: I know what you mean, I hate spending money.

Me: Me too!

CW3: I'm going on vacation with my friends, we booked a rental car and it was supposed to be $150. But my friend did the booking and it turned out to be $225. I told her to call them back, I wasn't going to pay that, just thinking about it made me feel sick to my stomach. So she did and we got the car for $150.

Me: Yeah, I try to save as much money as possible.

CW3: Right, it's like how am i going to retire early if I spend all my money?

Me: That's my plan too! To save money and retire early.

CW3: We should have a support group.

Me: [tells her about MMM. Hopefully she'll check it out!]

My faith in humanity is officially restored, at least for the moment.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #265 on: April 25, 2015, 06:41:35 AM »

CW1: No-chella! [They bump fists]

Pure awesomeness!

Latwell

• Stubble
« Reply #266 on: May 20, 2015, 06:31:53 PM »
This wasn't overheard at work. I'm actually super excited to share this overhead gem, hah!

Old friend is buying a home with her now fiancé. She had been assigned to a new location for her job and needed to move a few states away. Her closing apparently got pushed further than expected but her new job location had already started. She just lived out of a tent for almost two weeks while she was in-between her old place and her new home instead of staying at a hotel. (Note: she no longer lives near family/friends, otherwise people would gladly let her crash at their place.)

coffeehound

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #267 on: May 21, 2015, 01:52:47 PM »
CW1: (who buys lunch every day): We're putting in an order at local place.  Do you want something?

CW2: Thanks for asking, but I try to only eat out once a week, and I'm going out tomorrow.  Maybe next time.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #268 on: May 23, 2015, 08:25:16 AM »
I went to a dinner last night to celebrate the end of a project. There were six of us there, all freelancers, and we went to the boss's house and she made is pizza from scratch.

After we ate, conversation turned to finances as one of us had just quit a good job to take some time off to travel and then start her own company, as her (now former) job was so bad it made her ill from stress.

CW1: ...so I guess I'm pretty excited to be starting all this new stuff! Though I'll miss earning so much at [company].
CW2: How are you going to manage? I mean, four months in Asia is a long time with no income.
CW1: I have savings. I reckon I'm good for a year.
CW2: A YEAR? I'd be on the street in a month!
CW3: A month? Seriously? But you're 35!
CW2: I just don't earn enough to save any of it. No one does these days.
CW3: I don't earn a lot, I guess, but I still manage to save some. After all, you never know when something might happen, and I love my work but I do want to retire someday!
CW4: Me too. I mean, I don't want to sit around doing nothing but your body does start to go downhill after 60. There's no way I could work like this forever.
CW1: I know. I'm kid of worried about spending all my savings right now and not having anything for my pension, but I'm so burnt out it's a serious sanity break, and I'm sure I'll save it back up again in time.
CW2: A pension?! Who has a pension at our age?!
(Four hands go up - CWs 3,4,5 and me.)
CW1: I did but I won't any more.

I was shocked! When this conversation started I assumed it would be all about how it's impossible to save in today's economic climate and in our low-paid industry, but only one person out of six admitted to having no savings whatsoever. And I think even he doesn't have any serious debt.

MrsMadHobo

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #269 on: May 27, 2015, 09:30:10 AM »
I was traveling for work a few months ago and cell phones came up as they always do on travel since I don't have data on my phone with Republic Wireless. I don't even remember the conversation, but a coworker from that trip stopped me today and thanked me for saving him $150 a month since he switched to Republic Wireless. Woohoo!!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #270 on: May 27, 2015, 09:53:24 AM »
My warehouse manager picked up McDonald's for lunch. He looked sheepishly at me and said, "This is the first time I've paid for lunch in a few years." Normally he grills burgers and warms them up in the microwave, or one of the reps for a freight company will take him out for lunch.

JessEsq

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #271 on: May 27, 2015, 10:04:54 AM »
I think this counts...

I work in a law office with three attorneys (me and two others) and two paralegals.

Come lunch time, one paralegal heads home to nurse the baby (yes, extra driving, but she is very close & loves the extra mommy time)
The other paralegal and I enjoy our packed lunches in the break room (along with the company-supplied soda, coffee, and other snacks)

We share office space with other attorneys. Surprisingly for the career, the attorneys all tend to "eat in" sometimes. But, never as often as my paralegal and I do.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: May 27, 2015, 04:47:40 PM »
My whole team had a whinge session about multi level marketing together :-) a great bonding session and I was in a pretty good mood for the rest of the day.

Lis

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: May 28, 2015, 10:17:43 AM »
Not work, but anti-antimustachian nonetheless.

I just spent the weekend with my great aunt, who lost her husband back in December. One of the first things she asked me about when I got there was my job, more specifically my what and how I invest. She was pleased to hear that I'm contributing to my 401k, getting a good match, and opened up another retirement account (my Roth IRA). She said she never thought she could count on her pension so she and her husband always put in 'as much as they could' into whatever retirement accounts they were able to. She kept telling me to always always always contribute to retirement, especially while I'm so young! Yes, young people should have fun, but stop going to the movies, stop eating out and getting drinks before you stop contributing to retirement. Good advice all around :)

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #274 on: May 29, 2015, 03:35:27 PM »
Consultant employee purchased brand new F150 crewcab 4x4. Commutes to work with it 5x weekly and tows camper 2x / month in summer.

I camp at a $8 campsite with my $300 mountaineering tent. Best part is I don't have to empty the waste tank on an RV.
Helped to inspire another guy to fix his own truck. $550 quote from mechanic to change alternator. I watched a YouTube video on how to do it, and told him I would do it for $250 and a case of beer. He looked it up himself and then did it that weekend. Cost him $120 in parts.

PMG

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2015, 02:32:08 PM »
I’ve got some young coworkers who are just clueless about basic math and life skills.  I just bite my tongue. Recently one of the young women has been making a real effort to take control of her life.  Since she is asking questions I am overjoyed to help.

She figured out that rice really multiplies when you cook it.  I was so proud of her for cooking at home and trying something new. 

She is a smart phone addict.  I showed her my budget app.  She immediately downloaded it and had me walk her through setting up a couple “envelopes”  Will it stick?  I don’t know.  But it might… It’s at least in a format she is more likely to use and understand.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #276 on: June 02, 2015, 11:53:01 AM »
I just helped a co-worker who was utterly clueless about what was going on with his old 401k roll it over to a Vanguard IRA. He had no idea how much money was in it or anything. Turned out to be over 60k!

JordanOfGilead

• Bristles
« Reply #277 on: June 02, 2015, 04:05:22 PM »
I mentioned wanting to be done working within 15 years to a co-worker yesterday and he said "yeah, there are a lot of plans that tell you it's possible, but nobody really tells you HOW."
I quickly pointed him in the direction of MMM. Hopefully it sticks.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #278 on: June 08, 2015, 02:50:40 PM »
One of my co-workers, nice guy, good project manager, told me he recently found out about MMM. Good for him. He's an MBA student. I think he'll find out that the MBA education will teach him how to extract dollas from suckas, and MMM will teach him how not be be that sucka!

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #279 on: June 08, 2015, 02:58:01 PM »
My salesmen was lamenting the fate of one of his customers, essentially that customer started a dollar shop that did well and expanded to have 15 shops at her height, but is now done to one store that is barely making enough and is trying to stay afloat. He commented that he wished she had invested her money back when she was making a fortunate at her stores, but suspects that she spent it. He shook his head and said, "Thankfully I invest most of my income," that made me smile.

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: June 09, 2015, 07:49:18 AM »
I have to say, I think I am seeing a mustachian-like shift in my co-workers that I hang out with at work.  They recently went from buying lunch every day to 1-2 times a week.  One of my coworkers changed his phone plan to Cricket and downsized his apartment.  They all used to buy iced coffee every day at work and now only once a week or so.  It makes it a lot easier for me to resist temptation myself. 

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #281 on: June 09, 2015, 08:24:52 AM »

I camp at a $8 campsite with my $300 mountaineering tent. Best part is I don't have to empty the waste tank on an RV.
Helped to inspire another guy to fix his own truck. $550 quote from mechanic to change alternator. I watched a YouTube video on how to do it, and told him I would do it for $250 and a case of beer. He looked it up himself and then did it that weekend. Cost him $120 in parts.

I'm starting to get into camping, and want to do it more often. Love that your coworker did it himself, not only did he save himself over $400, but he probably feels way more satisfaction from it. I didn't like my car stereo (I listen almost exclusively to podcasts and audiobooks on my ipod), so bought a stereo and installed it myself (office manager helped a little) and had a huge smile on my face for over a week. My parents are the type that will hire out for everything, and my dad kept telling me to get someone to install it ( a friend offered to do it for a bottle of wine), but just the pride of doing it myself made it worthwhile and helps me enjoy it more. It took more time than it likely should, but it was absolutely worth doing.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #282 on: June 09, 2015, 08:37:39 AM »
Some of my-coworkers have shifted to Cricket-type cell phone plans or to T-Mobile family plans to save money. Also many have cut the cable/satellite cord and moved to FiOS internet-only plan and streaming services.

Then others have gone the other way, living high on the hog.

Win some, lose some, law of averages.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #283 on: June 09, 2015, 08:38:21 AM »

I'm starting to get into camping, and want to do it more often. Love that your coworker did it himself, not only did he save himself over $400, but he probably feels way more satisfaction from it. I didn't like my car stereo (I listen almost exclusively to podcasts and audiobooks on my ipod), so bought a stereo and installed it myself (office manager helped a little) and had a huge smile on my face for over a week. My parents are the type that will hire out for everything, and my dad kept telling me to get someone to install it ( a friend offered to do it for a bottle of wine), but just the pride of doing it myself made it worthwhile and helps me enjoy it more. It took more time than it likely should, but it was absolutely worth doing.

Usually in a situation like that, its 2 bottles of wine. 1 for each of us and as long as the task is done before the wine runs out, all is good. Except with beer.

candygirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #284 on: June 11, 2015, 03:10:05 PM »
Proud of myself on this one and since it happened at work a few weeks ago:

Travelling on our lovely Air Canada (which I truly enjoy over West Jet) with 2 work colleagues and our flight was unable to leave as one of the first aid oxygen was not working properly...so they announced they needed 24 people to get off the plane, of which 10 could fly out the same night and get $400 or leave the following day on any flight and get $800 plus hotel...my hand shot up pretty quick to volunteer...I bbmed my counterpart who is a senior company officer to tell him I'm getting off the plane...he had noise cancelling headphones on and heard nothing.  He immediately said what?! I'm getting off the plane too, my meetings tomorrow can wait! How awesome that he chose to get off the plan and get the cash too!  The other colleague said see ya, I want to get home now.

It was awesome to get that cheque in the mail yesterday to go straight towards my rrsps (which my girl friends think is incredibly boring, but they are all shopaholics).. :)

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #285 on: June 12, 2015, 08:36:17 AM »
would gladly get pd $800 to skip a flight.
sadly never been offered.
Most i was offered was a voucher for flight (like miles... with blackout dates and limited value).
Passed.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #286 on: June 13, 2015, 07:16:36 AM »
so they announced they needed 24 people to get off the plane, of which 10 could fly out the same night and get $400 or leave the following day on any flight and get $800 plus hotel...my hand shot up pretty quick to volunteer...
You know, if I had the option to fly one day later and get a hotel room and 800$ for it, I would fly a day later every day!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #287 on: June 13, 2015, 09:10:50 AM »
would gladly get pd $800 to skip a flight.
sadly never been offered.
Most i was offered was a voucher for flight (like miles... with blackout dates and limited value).
Passed.
Pretty cool, I don't think I've ever been offered that either.  Most was maybe $400.

I *never* take what is offered because I'm *always* flying with my children.

My hubby travels for business.  He never takes the offers on the way there because he's on a tight schedule.  He never takes the offers on the way home because...I'm home alone with the kids!  Though he does occasionally have to change flights due to weather, etc., and I tell him that if he has to spend an extra night it's fine.

Shamantha

• Stubble
« Reply #288 on: June 18, 2015, 02:04:47 PM »
Our company is aligning different salary structures, as a result my annual bonus percentage will be reduced. I will be compensated by having the percentage added to my monthly salary, plus something extra. The person explaining it to me stated that, like compound interest, salary increases keep adding up in different ways so hopefully I was OK with that? Finally someone who gets it!

music lover

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #289 on: June 18, 2015, 02:24:32 PM »
A co-worker/friend and his wife recently sold their paid off house and bought one that was $80,000 less.

They then put a portion of the proceeds towards the down payment on a rental property.

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #290 on: June 22, 2015, 10:25:08 AM »
A co-worker/friend and his wife recently sold their paid off house and bought one that was $80,000 less.

They then put a portion of the proceeds towards the down payment on a rental property.

Sounds like a good idea. This is for the bad ideas.

slugline

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #291 on: June 22, 2015, 10:40:48 AM »

Except this is the "Anti-Antimustachian" Thread.

No, I'm not really sure why it's hanging out in the "Wall of Shame and Comedy" section of the forum.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #292 on: June 22, 2015, 10:42:12 AM »

Wrong thread, this is the ANTI-antimustachian place, where we talk about the good things our coworkers are doing in their life.

For instance, I found out that my coworker that doesn't know how to cook and usually will go to fast food just bought a pound of meat in, along with bread and cheese and is planning to make some cold cut sandwiches for lunch.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #293 on: June 22, 2015, 10:44:25 AM »

Wrong thread, this is the ANTI-antimustachian place, where we talk about the good things our coworkers are doing in their life.

For instance, I found out that my coworker that doesn't know how to cook and usually will go to fast food just bought a pound of meat in, along with bread and cheese and is planning to make some cold cut sandwiches for lunch.
Nice!  I'm sure your coworker will enjoy not having to go to a fast food restaurant as much as the larger bank balance.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #294 on: June 22, 2015, 10:54:21 AM »

That's friggin' awesome. +1

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: June 22, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »

Nope-- this is the anti- anti- thread.  Negative of a negative is a positve, sorta.  This is a great story for this thread.  In that vein, our neighbors are looking to downsize, and have asked us to give them "first dibs" when we are ready to move! 

SpicyMcHaggus

• Bristles
« Reply #296 on: June 22, 2015, 01:17:09 PM »

Nope-- this is the anti- anti- thread.  Negative of a negative is a positve, sorta.  This is a great story for this thread.  In that vein, our neighbors are looking to downsize, and have asked us to give them "first dibs" when we are ready to move!

too many thread subscriptions.
Maybe i have been posting my stuff in the wrong one all along.
This is what i get for "skimming" when i read.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #297 on: June 22, 2015, 03:55:16 PM »

Please remove me from this list, thanks.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2015, 06:01:19 AM »

Please don't reply all.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #299 on: June 23, 2015, 06:56:51 AM »

Please don't reply all.

Um, I don't think this is for me??????

(I see I'm not the only one who's lost an afternoon of email availability due to this phenomenon.)