Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981396 times)

Imma

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #1400 on: February 22, 2020, 09:54:13 AM »
One of my employees today asked for help getting set up to contribute to her 401k! She has been with the team for a little over a year now, but was going through a divorce with 3 young boys and didn't have the funds previously to start saving. I could tell she was completely new to investing, so I kept things simple to start and kept her in the target date fund she already had around $4k in from her previous employment at our company - actually not a terrible fund with decent fees. She was even willing to enroll in the auto increase feature to eventually get up to 20%! I was really proud of her, she has been through a LOT this past year, and it's obvious she cares about her future. She may not be on the path to early retirement, but I have no doubts that if she continues contributing the way she is she will at least have a comfortable retirement one day!

That's really all I hope for where other people are concerned. My brother recently started digging out of debt at the tender age of 50. He and his wife are starting to consider retirement a possibility. I still worry about their house falling down around their ears, but every step in the right direction makes their future a little brighter.

Better late than never certainly applies to savings/paying off debt!

I try to spread the gospel to some of my friends and some say 'well, what's the point, I can only save €50 a month anyways'. But in less than 2 years, that's more than €1000. And even a little bit of savings means you can buy a refurbished €150 quality washing machine when yours breaks down, instead of getting a 24 month payment plan @ 14% on the cheapest new machine in the shop. It allows you to take advantage of good deals on groceries. It means you can pay that speeding ticket rightaway instead of not paying and having your wages garnished & risk your job because of it. Especially when you have no savings, every single € you do manage to put away or pay off in debt is extremely important. 

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1401 on: March 05, 2020, 04:42:36 AM »
We have basically a paid intern at my office.  Because he is part time, only gets part time vacation leave (basically 7 days a year).  He had no plans for spring break so he volunteered to work at HQ on a project for the week.  Full time employees earn overtime during this week, he cannot but instead will earn comp time.  So my 20 year old co worker will get 3 extra days off this year, a full week of pay (instead of his normal 16 hours) and DC per diem of $76 a day for food while there.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #1402 on: March 05, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »
Sounds like it might be close to a normal month's worth of compensation in 1 week - that's awesome!

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1403 on: March 05, 2020, 02:26:32 PM »
A client (who retired early in his 50s) was recently talking to me about how important retirement planning is.  I opened the mail this week to find that he sent me a personal finance book about early retirement.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1404 on: March 05, 2020, 09:28:24 PM »
A client (who retired early in his 50s) was recently talking to me about how important retirement planning is.  I opened the mail this week to find that he sent me a personal finance book about early retirement.
Good for him!    Let him know you're already working on it!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1405 on: March 06, 2020, 10:07:30 AM »
Send a picture of you back with the mustachian salute.

Anon in Alaska

• Stubble
« Reply #1406 on: March 06, 2020, 10:52:19 AM »
(For perspective: Last winter we had over 8 inches within a few hours, the state almost declared it an emergency, and I still got a "penalty" for not coming to work.)

Yes, it is barbaric to live in a state that would almost declare an emergency for a mere 8" of snow. Maybe if you got 24" in 24 hours it would be o.k. for them to declare an emergency. Your employer would still be right to penalize you, it was your choice not to live close enough that you could ski or snowshoe in anyway.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1407 on: March 06, 2020, 01:48:41 PM »
Good for him!    Let him know you're already working on it!

Send a picture of you back with the mustachian salute.

LOL.  I wish all my clients were this good.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #1408 on: March 06, 2020, 02:10:58 PM »
(For perspective: Last winter we had over 8 inches within a few hours, the state almost declared it an emergency, and I still got a "penalty" for not coming to work.)

Yes, it is barbaric to live in a state that would almost declare an emergency for a mere 8" of snow. Maybe if you got 24" in 24 hours it would be o.k. for them to declare an emergency. Your employer would still be right to penalize you, it was your choice not to live close enough that you could ski or snowshoe in anyway.

I don't think they officially shut anything down for the 10" of snow on monday? I did hear the mail truck and the bus service to the interior were canceled for a day. Fred Meyer's (Kroger) ran out of garlic and some vegetables because their truck got stuck and I stopped to help one guy in the ditch that night... Otherwise it was business as usual.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1409 on: March 07, 2020, 04:12:38 AM »
What are you guys talking about? Snow? What is that?

We officially had the warmest winter on record. Where I live we had I think 3 days where the temperature did not rise above freezing point, and most days it was several degrees above even in the night.

Ah, the good old days with February having 2 weeks of -10°C or colder all around the clock...

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1410 on: March 07, 2020, 06:19:39 AM »

We officially had the warmest winter on record. Where I live we had I think 3 days where the temperature did not rise above freezing point, and most days it was several degrees above even in the night.

Ah, the good old days with February having 2 weeks of -10°C or colder all around the clock...

It's scary how fast temperatures are rising. In my 30 years on this earth I have seen the changes. When I was a kid we got snow, we could skate on natural ice. I think the last 'cold' (normal) winter we've had was around 2010. That's a full decade ago. This year the zipper of my winter coat broke beyond repair and I've worn my summer coat ever since. I haven't been cold. A couple of days I've worn a scarf early in the morning but I literally haven't worn my gloves this winter or last winter.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1411 on: March 07, 2020, 08:30:39 AM »
I've worn my summer coat ever since.

Summer... coat? Like sunscreen?

/Texas

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1412 on: March 07, 2020, 02:51:58 PM »
I've worn my summer coat ever since.

Summer... coat? Like sunscreen?

/Texas

The thing you wear when it's warm and raining instead of when it's cold and raining!

We need sunscreen about as often as you need a summer coat....

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #1413 on: March 08, 2020, 12:24:59 AM »
For those of you missing snow in your life.

This winter has actually been much close to what I remember growing up. Everyone has gotten used to the warmer winters though so there has been lots of complaining about how cold it is.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 12:27:00 AM by Alternatepriorities »

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1414 on: March 08, 2020, 04:18:50 PM »

It's scary how fast temperatures are rising. In my 30 years on this earth I have seen the changes. When I was a kid we got snow, we could skate on natural ice. I think the last 'cold' (normal) winter we've had was around 2010. That's a full decade ago. This year the zipper of my winter coat broke beyond repair and I've worn my summer coat ever since. I haven't been cold. A couple of days I've worn a scarf early in the morning but I literally haven't worn my gloves this winter or last winter.
I was thinking just this morning how dramatically our winter weather has changed in the past 30 years since I was a kid. Winter used to mean these awesome crashing rainstorms and foggy, overcast mornings. I LOVE that weather. This winter has been a massive disappointment with maybe one month of rain and then just dry and mild. It is scary what is happening and how vulnerable we are and will become to insufficient water.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1415 on: March 09, 2020, 08:32:00 PM »
co-workers unhappy that 401k contributions go in tomorrow 3/10 and not today 3/9 at COB.
had to remind them about DCA and why we switched to Guideline (and their mostly Vanguard portfolio).
Them: yeah, screw American Funds, for many reasons.

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1416 on: March 09, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »
I complimented my coworker on his haircut today. He thanked me and said his wife did it. I cheered him and shared that I cut my husband’s hair.

raincoast

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1417 on: June 13, 2020, 06:00:23 PM »
Not at work, but kudos to the guy I saw today towing a kayak behind his bicycle. Who needs to drive to the beach when you have a bike trailer?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1418 on: June 16, 2020, 10:05:20 AM »
That's borderline worthy of the intentional discomfort thread right there, total badass!

ysette9

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1419 on: June 16, 2020, 07:20:43 PM »
Not at work, but kudos to the guy I saw today towing a kayak behind his bicycle. Who needs to drive to the beach when you have a bike trailer?
Somewhat akin to the people I see with surf board racks on the side of their bikes.
Badass

crocheted_stache

• Stubble
« Reply #1420 on: June 18, 2020, 10:26:39 AM »
It finally occurred to me what to add to this thread. This was 2005 or so, so details are approximate.

A car I haven't seen before turns up for sale on the curb along my way in the neighborhood.

Original owner, 1988 Camry wagon. Excellent condition, meaning it must have spent its life garaged. Something short of 50,000 miles on it.  A month later, same thing, but a similarly old Volvo with similarly minuscule mileage for its advanced age.

I didn't need a car, but I contemplated it, and I wish I'd asked just to find out the story. Unless they were driving their other four cars (I doubt it), they were quiet Mustachians before the word existed.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1421 on: June 18, 2020, 10:57:30 AM »
It finally occurred to me what to add to this thread. This was 2005 or so, so details are approximate.

A car I haven't seen before turns up for sale on the curb along my way in the neighborhood.

Original owner, 1988 Camry wagon. Excellent condition, meaning it must have spent its life garaged. Something short of 50,000 miles on it.  A month later, same thing, but a similarly old Volvo with similarly minuscule mileage for its advanced age.

I didn't need a car, but I contemplated it, and I wish I'd asked just to find out the story. Unless they were driving their other four cars (I doubt it), they were quiet Mustachians before the word existed.

Or they were in the business of playing with the odometers...

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1422 on: June 18, 2020, 11:20:49 AM »
Somewhat akin to the people I see with surf board racks on the side of their bikes.
Badass
Oh I see these all the time.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1423 on: September 03, 2020, 05:11:32 AM »
The last couple days one of my subordinates has been educating his team on their pay stub, retirement savings options, and other budgetary matters. Today I walked into his office while he was talking about responsible credit card usage and the benefits of using them vs debit cards.  I only got to hear the tail end of each of these discussions, but I'm excited that they're getting some good advice and they're taking lots of notes.  The discussion also included how retiring early is an option if you do all this right.  Apparently I missed some good conversations, because at the end I mentioned that the money I've invested plus the pension I should be receiving in a couple years will allow me to work where, when, how, and most importantly if I want.  Their team leader pointed at me and said "And that's F-U money!" which makes me think that was an earlier talking point.  Hopefully I catch the next discussion early and can participate.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1424 on: September 03, 2020, 09:43:55 AM »
@Travis Wow, what an absolute hero! They are doing some serious good to the world right there. That really picked me up today!

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1425 on: September 04, 2020, 12:29:03 AM »
The last couple days one of my subordinates has been educating his team on their pay stub, retirement savings options, and other budgetary matters. Today I walked into his office while he was talking about responsible credit card usage and the benefits of using them vs debit cards.  I only got to hear the tail end of each of these discussions, but I'm excited that they're getting some good advice and they're taking lots of notes.  The discussion also included how retiring early is an option if you do all this right.  Apparently I missed some good conversations, because at the end I mentioned that the money I've invested plus the pension I should be receiving in a couple years will allow me to work where, when, how, and most importantly if I want.  Their team leader pointed at me and said "And that's F-U money!" which makes me think that was an earlier talking point.  Hopefully I catch the next discussion early and can participate.

This is an awesome endeavour, but I'd think twice before participating. If I was talking about personal finance and my team leader's manager walked in I'd clam up pretty quickly. It would be difficult to have a conversation about asking for a raise, or to flex hours if the person you'd ask is right there. It can be awkward talking about budgets with someone that has higher income or wealth. That is in my workplace and it could be different in yours.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1426 on: September 04, 2020, 01:28:58 AM »

This is an awesome endeavour, but I'd think twice before participating. If I was talking about personal finance and my team leader's manager walked in I'd clam up pretty quickly. It would be difficult to have a conversation about asking for a raise, or to flex hours if the person you'd ask is right there. It can be awkward talking about budgets with someone that has higher income or wealth. That is in my workplace and it could be different in yours.

It's the military so our pay scale and hours are not something we negotiate.  Also, I'm encouraged and in some ways required to be knowledgeable about the financial education and financial health of my subordinates.  You're right though that I rarely talk about my own financial matters since my pay is several times that my most junior soldiers.

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1427 on: September 04, 2020, 03:11:25 AM »
It's the military so our pay scale and hours are not something we negotiate.  Also, I'm encouraged and in some ways required to be knowledgeable about the financial education and financial health of my subordinates.  You're right though that I rarely talk about my own financial matters since my pay is several times that my most junior soldiers.

Gotcha, @Travis, yes when I was in the military this would have been discussed more openly than in civilian work; and was so desperately needed by some newer recruits!

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1428 on: September 04, 2020, 01:23:16 PM »
That's awesome, it would have been great to have had that back when I was in the Army. There's a course on JKO, Million Dollar Sailor, that's pretty decent and self-paced. Gives a good foundation I think, Navy-centric but the info is applicable across the branches.

TorontoGirl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1429 on: December 06, 2020, 06:58:58 PM »

Wow...so scary that we have done that much climate damage to our planet.

Just Joe

• Walrus Stache
  • Teach me something.
« Reply #1430 on: December 07, 2020, 09:57:06 AM »
That's awesome, it would have been great to have had that back when I was in the Army. There's a course on JKO, Million Dollar Sailor, that's pretty decent and self-paced. Gives a good foundation I think, Navy-centric but the info is applicable across the branches.

Years ago when I was in the military there were a few folks that needed guidance REALLY bad. The Master Chief at my last duty assignment gave a talk but it barely scratched the surface. Only thing I remember hearing on the subject my entire enlistment.

In some ways the guys/gals I met along the way were like professional athletes without the huge income. Just young and no financial awareness. Credit was easy to get and some took all they could get financing everything imaginable.

freedomfightergal

• Stubble
« Reply #1431 on: February 07, 2021, 02:33:01 PM »
many years ago I got a new job close to home & started biking to work, taking my lunch & I hadn't had cable or any tv for a couple of years. so after a co-worker commented about some news I mentioned I didn't watch tv & they asked very seriously if I was Amish or something! lol It became a thing after that, I even started wearing all black eheh

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1432 on: February 07, 2021, 03:11:58 PM »
We had no TV when I was a kid. I remember being asked if we were Amish.  I was confused, as I _really_ did NOT look Amish. There were lots of real Amish around and I didn’t fit the dress code .

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1433 on: February 07, 2021, 03:50:25 PM »
many years ago I got a new job close to home & started biking to work, taking my lunch & I hadn't had cable or any tv for a couple of years. so after a co-worker commented about some news I mentioned I didn't watch tv & they asked very seriously if I was Amish or something! lol It became a thing after that, I even started wearing all black eheh

I hear there are lots of Amish people in Oz... /s

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1434 on: February 07, 2021, 04:15:45 PM »
We had no TV when I was a kid. I remember being asked if we were Amish.  I was confused, as I _really_ did NOT look Amish. There were lots of real Amish around and I didn’t fit the dress code .

News Flash!!!
Americans are the most ignorant well-educated people in the world.   Bar none.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1435 on: February 07, 2021, 06:26:21 PM »

News Flash!!!

No argument, geography and language will flummox most Americans.   
My point is that you could SEE how real Amish/Old Order Mennonites dressed by looking out the window or down the street (think horse and buggy tied up to parking meter).
I've always found it fascinating, that about 1905 when my grandfather was born, EVERYBODY was indistinguishable from modern Amish. Farms, horse drawn plows, steel wheeled tractors etc.
The hats might be of a different style, but EVERYBODY wore hats.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1436 on: February 07, 2021, 07:12:29 PM »

News Flash!!!

My point is that you could SEE how real Amish/Old Order Mennonites dressed by looking out the window or down the street (think horse and buggy tied up to parking meter).
I've always found it fascinating, that about 1905 when my grandfather was born, EVERYBODY was indistinguishable from modern Amish. Farms, horse drawn plows, steel wheeled tractors etc.

Speaking of folks being completely oblivious to obvious visual cues...

About 15 years or so ago the West Nile Virus started showing up in mosquitoes in our area.   So, the local newspaper sent out their reporters to go around and ask folks about it.

It's a Sunday afternoon and we're having our armoured swordfighting practice.    There are four or five of us under a pavilion at a local park.   Two picnic tables are covered in medieval armor and weapons.   All four of us are in various stages of putting our armour on.

The reporter walks up to us and asks, "What are you guys doing to protect yourself from the West Nile Virus?"

My squire answers, "We're putting on this armour!"

Talk about a classic double-take!!!

That reporter's jaw dropped and bounced off the ground several times because he had not noticed until then what we were wearing and what we were doing.

Taran Wanderer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1437 on: February 07, 2021, 08:02:21 PM »
I hope you didn’t elaborate and instead let him run with that for his story!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1438 on: February 08, 2021, 04:39:44 AM »
I hope you didn’t elaborate and instead let him run with that for his story!

Why not elaborate?
Talk about how the mosquitos were dinging their piercing weapon in vain against this mighty, knightly armor!

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1439 on: February 08, 2021, 07:36:14 AM »

News Flash!!!

Truth.  I had to explain to my team lead the other day that European Spaniards look similar to most other European peoples and are not dark skinned like Latin Americans.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1440 on: February 08, 2021, 07:42:24 AM »

News Flash!!!

Truth.  I had to explain to my team lead the other day that European Spaniards look similar to most other European peoples and are not dark skinned like Latin Americans.

Uh, there are dark skinned Spaniards and light skinned Latin Americans. Both have long histories of varied immigrations.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1441 on: February 08, 2021, 08:41:23 AM »

News Flash!!!

Uh, there are dark skinned Spaniards and light skinned Latin Americans. Both have long histories of varied immigrations.

Yes, I know.  But he was assuming that all Spaniards were darker skinned, like Latin Americans.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:44:41 AM by Sugaree »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #1442 on: February 08, 2021, 09:34:58 AM »

News Flash!!!

Speaking of folks being completely oblivious to obvious visual cues...

About 15 years or so ago the West Nile Virus started showing up in mosquitoes in our area.   So, the local newspaper sent out their reporters to go around and ask folks about it.

It's a Sunday afternoon and we're having our armoured swordfighting practice.    There are four or five of us under a pavilion at a local park.   Two picnic tables are covered in medieval armor and weapons.   All four of us are in various stages of putting our armour on.

The reporter walks up to us and asks, "What are you guys doing to protect yourself from the West Nile Virus?"

My squire answers, "We're putting on this armour!"

Talk about a classic double-take!!!

That reporter's jaw dropped and bounced off the ground several times because he had not noticed until then what we were wearing and what we were doing.
That's amazing!

A friend of mine was all dressed up on her way to crown tourney (where the group I play with picks the next king) and someone at the grocery store asked her if she was in a play or something, she absentmindedly said she was off to pick the next king and wandered off, no further explanation.  My friend is hilarious!

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1443 on: February 08, 2021, 12:31:31 PM »

News Flash!!!

On the other hand, I was talking to a Spanish Professor from Spain who was acting as a translator for a church food bank.  The Mexican kids asked her where she learned her Spanish.  (Her story as related to me)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1444 on: February 09, 2021, 04:38:52 AM »

News Flash!!!

Yes, I know.  But he was assuming that all Spaniards were darker skinned, like Latin Americans.
Tell him the Spanish cultural Golden Time was under Islamic Rule and it only went downwards after the Christians finshed their "Reconquista". (They were quite successful in pillaging and slaving though in the next few centuries.)

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1445 on: February 09, 2021, 05:06:11 AM »

News Flash!!!

Tell him the Spanish cultural Golden Time was under Islamic Rule and it only went downwards after the Christians finshed their "Reconquista". (They were quite successful in pillaging and slaving though in the next few centuries.)

I don't even want to go there.  He's one of those "Christians are so persecuted these days" guys. 

familyandfarming

• Stubble
« Reply #1446 on: February 09, 2021, 07:15:16 PM »
There was a dear man who was a custodian at the high school I taught at that would talk with me a few minutes every day. On the day he retired early he told me he was going to buy a professional camera with all the loose change he had swept up every day that kids had dropped or thrown at each other.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1447 on: February 09, 2021, 07:19:28 PM »
There was a dear man who was a custodian at the high school I taught at that would talk with me a few minutes every day. On the day he retired early he told me he was going to buy a professional camera with all the loose change he had swept up every day that kids had dropped or thrown at each other.
THAT perfectly fits the thread.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1448 on: February 09, 2021, 07:27:30 PM »

That's such a great story. I hope he's enjoying his well deserved early retirement!

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1449 on: February 10, 2021, 03:47:28 AM »
I pity the cashier who has to count that :D

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!