Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 672379 times)

jinga nation

• Handlebar Stache
  • Left, Right, Peddlin' Shite
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #1400 on: December 23, 2019, 08:46:09 AM »
Not overheard at work but what I did:
Got on the benefits committee at my employer last year, proposed a 401k switch to a better provider from the current AmFunds.
Was given time to research and write a data-driven paper with my findings and recommendations.
Submitted to management after committee peer review.
New corporate Veep asked me to brief her late last year.
Meanwhile, heard about Guideline on MMM Forums, proposed it as an additional/late recommendation.
HR/Benefits team sat with current and prospective providers in Q1 2019, Guideline top in every category.
On 4/1 company announced the switch will happen at the end of the month.
I had to tell them this wasn't an April Fool's Day trick, this was the real thing.
Is there any way you would be willing to share your presentation? I am with Voya at work and it is absolute garbage. Id love to bring something to my bosses to make a change that would benefit everyone.

I'd love to see it too! I am the HR manager at my company, and we have NO retirement plan of any kind. I've been talking to my boss (the owner) about it, but he's afraid of the cost. If you could share your ammo, that would be awesome.

for @solon and @lexde  and others.

sanitized versions attached. Errors and Omissions Expected.

Appendix document created by me, after work, on lack of sleep.
Spreadsheet created by my Veep. She's not a financial analyst but did a good job tracking inputs.

If anyone has complaints or nitpicks, too bad.

If anyone needs clarification, please ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question. We're all here to learn and share.

Happy Holidays! May this lead you to better retirement options in 20/20.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 09:22:05 AM by jinga nation »

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1401 on: December 25, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »
What a nice Holiday Gift to our community! May it ripple outward and lift some more boats.

lexde

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1402 on: January 01, 2020, 11:02:49 AM »
Not overheard at work but what I did:
Got on the benefits committee at my employer last year, proposed a 401k switch to a better provider from the current AmFunds.
Was given time to research and write a data-driven paper with my findings and recommendations.
Submitted to management after committee peer review.
New corporate Veep asked me to brief her late last year.
Meanwhile, heard about Guideline on MMM Forums, proposed it as an additional/late recommendation.
HR/Benefits team sat with current and prospective providers in Q1 2019, Guideline top in every category.
On 4/1 company announced the switch will happen at the end of the month.
I had to tell them this wasn't an April Fool's Day trick, this was the real thing.
Is there any way you would be willing to share your presentation? I am with Voya at work and it is absolute garbage. Id love to bring something to my bosses to make a change that would benefit everyone.

I'd love to see it too! I am the HR manager at my company, and we have NO retirement plan of any kind. I've been talking to my boss (the owner) about it, but he's afraid of the cost. If you could share your ammo, that would be awesome.

for @solon and @lexde  and others.

sanitized versions attached. Errors and Omissions Expected.

Appendix document created by me, after work, on lack of sleep.
Spreadsheet created by my Veep. She's not a financial analyst but did a good job tracking inputs.

If anyone has complaints or nitpicks, too bad.

If anyone needs clarification, please ask. There's no such thing as a stupid question. We're all here to learn and share.

Happy Holidays! May this lead you to better retirement options in 20/20.
Thank you so much! I hope that I can do something good with this information and I will certainly update you if that's the case!

Dee

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1403 on: January 13, 2020, 08:36:40 PM »
One guy at work I suspect is an MMM-er. He will occasionally book a boardroom and invite everyone on the team to show up for lunch of they are available. He'll bring a little something to share like timbits or homemade muffins. He did this last week and noticed that he seemed to be the only one who'd bought his lunch from the cafeteria. (I think he usually brings it from home.) Now, a few people fessed up that their "brown-bag" or "from home" lunches were leftovers from take-out the night before, or contained something from a lunch-bar at a grocery store. So not totally mustachian, but really not bad!

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1404 on: February 20, 2020, 07:27:14 AM »
Not at work, but from friends who'd moved to a new city a couple months ago:

F1: "So do you guys often go out for food to explore all the options here??"
F2: "To be honest, no, we often are all excited about trying places but then once it's evening we get lazy and cook our own food rather than go out"

Wohooo, eating out is called the LAZY option here people. Hail to these mustachians :)

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1405 on: February 20, 2020, 07:30:31 AM »
DH's new colleague bought a house and is looking for a second roommate after finding one within the first week.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1406 on: February 20, 2020, 10:33:39 AM »
Not at work, but from friends who'd moved to a new city a couple months ago:

F1: "So do you guys often go out for food to explore all the options here??"
F2: "To be honest, no, we often are all excited about trying places but then once it's evening we get lazy and cook our own food rather than go out"

Wohooo, eating out is called the LAZY option here people. Hail to these mustachians :)

Oooh I totally get that! When I get home from work the last thing I want to do is get on my bike and go to a restaurant, or order food in and wait for it to arrive and hope it's as good as it looks in the picture. I just want to put my prepped meal in the microwave, change out of my work clothes and START EATING.

ducky19

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1407 on: February 20, 2020, 07:06:34 PM »
One of my employees today asked for help getting set up to contribute to her 401k! She has been with the team for a little over a year now, but was going through a divorce with 3 young boys and didn't have the funds previously to start saving. I could tell she was completely new to investing, so I kept things simple to start and kept her in the target date fund she already had around $4k in from her previous employment at our company - actually not a terrible fund with decent fees. She was even willing to enroll in the auto increase feature to eventually get up to 20%! I was really proud of her, she has been through a LOT this past year, and it's obvious she cares about her future. She may not be on the path to early retirement, but I have no doubts that if she continues contributing the way she is she will at least have a comfortable retirement one day!

ixtap

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1408 on: February 20, 2020, 07:22:16 PM »
One of my employees today asked for help getting set up to contribute to her 401k! She has been with the team for a little over a year now, but was going through a divorce with 3 young boys and didn't have the funds previously to start saving. I could tell she was completely new to investing, so I kept things simple to start and kept her in the target date fund she already had around $4k in from her previous employment at our company - actually not a terrible fund with decent fees. She was even willing to enroll in the auto increase feature to eventually get up to 20%! I was really proud of her, she has been through a LOT this past year, and it's obvious she cares about her future. She may not be on the path to early retirement, but I have no doubts that if she continues contributing the way she is she will at least have a comfortable retirement one day!

That's really all I hope for where other people are concerned. My brother recently started digging out of debt at the tender age of 50. He and his wife are starting to consider retirement a possibility. I still worry about their house falling down around their ears, but every step in the right direction makes their future a little brighter.

Imma

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1409 on: February 22, 2020, 09:54:13 AM »

That's really all I hope for where other people are concerned. My brother recently started digging out of debt at the tender age of 50. He and his wife are starting to consider retirement a possibility. I still worry about their house falling down around their ears, but every step in the right direction makes their future a little brighter.

Better late than never certainly applies to savings/paying off debt!

I try to spread the gospel to some of my friends and some say 'well, what's the point, I can only save 50 a month anyways'. But in less than 2 years, that's more than 1000. And even a little bit of savings means you can buy a refurbished 150 quality washing machine when yours breaks down, instead of getting a 24 month payment plan @ 14% on the cheapest new machine in the shop. It allows you to take advantage of good deals on groceries. It means you can pay that speeding ticket rightaway instead of not paying and having your wages garnished & risk your job because of it. Especially when you have no savings, every single you do manage to put away or pay off in debt is extremely important.