Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981392 times)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #1200 on: February 14, 2019, 02:18:27 PM »
New coworker, 21 and fresh out of college, was a little sheepish about her bagged lunch... said she felt like a kindergartener.  But I was like, no way I bring my lunch too (we're the only two people in our small office who do)!  Told her that there's only a handful of decent places to eat around here and they get old real fast anyway.  She seemed encouraged and has kept bringing her lunch in.

You can be that cool friend who inspires her to even more coolness.
Yeah.
Don't need to be a big thing, just try to start the right thoughts.
Calculate how much she saves a day... a year... during her career (forget investing here) and ask her if she prefers to not look a bit like a kindergartner or have 100K extra.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1201 on: February 16, 2019, 09:34:07 AM »
Coworker loves new cars and is always talking about them. He needs a new (to him) car and buys a 5 year old car with some very minor scratches. He specifically searched for a certain model that apparantly doesn't need a lot of maintenance.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1202 on: February 26, 2019, 11:42:26 AM »
Today we had a meeting at work about our new pension system. As it was close to the cafeteria, I told the cook about it. He said that he doesn't rely on pensions at all. So he saves a lot of pension privately. Good for him.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 06:26:59 AM by Linea_Norway »

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1203 on: February 26, 2019, 01:49:28 PM »
Not my workplace but my brother's. He told me how at first, he'd be the only one bringing in his own lunch while his coworkers paid $5/day to eat at the buffet they offer at his workplace. However, apparently he's inspired his peers as every week, more bagged lunches have popped up in the group. They discussed how making their own lunch saved them a few $$ a day for similar quality food.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1204 on: February 26, 2019, 02:00:58 PM »
Not my workplace but my brother's. He told me how at first, he'd be the only one bringing in his own lunch while his coworkers paid $5/day to eat at the buffet they offer at his workplace. However, apparently he's inspired his peers as every week, more bagged lunches have popped up in the group. They discussed how making their own lunch saved them a few $$ a day for similar quality food.
Or they could just eat only once a day - there. Then 5$ isn't that bad.

Sultan58

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1205 on: March 01, 2019, 05:03:41 PM »
The first officer I'm flying with is nearing his one year anniversary with our company, which is when employees begin to receive 401k matching, so I mentioned he should make sure he has it set up so he doesn't miss out on free money. He said he's already contributing 20%. Whoa! Never heard that from a first year first officer.

He has also mentioned that he doesn't really have a permanent home, but is instead couch surfing with various friends and relatives, and hopes to do it for another year to get his student loans paid off.
That's some serious badassity considering first year pay is typically low $30k range and flying lessons aren't cheap.

that's impressive indeed!....I really like it when the guy/girl in the right hand seat is responsible too!!!!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1206 on: March 04, 2019, 04:27:28 AM »
I heard today that one of my youngest colleagues lives together with his GF and rents out a bedroom to another girl. I knew he was planning to get a roommate before he got his GF. But it is pretty badass that they rent out a room while living together. The girl pays for about 40% of the total housing costs.

For about a year ago I told this colleague about the concept of FIRE, in the hope that it would catch his intention before he inflated his lifestyle. Seems like he is responding in a smart way.

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1207 on: April 10, 2019, 05:33:32 AM »
We have a new hire who is in the middle of her 6 months training for my job; kind of like being between boot camp and waiting to go into her specialty training if she were in the military.  She's in between courses at our office for about 4 weeks.  I gave her a guide to retirement written by a "wise old retired hair-bag" in our career who is more of a boglehead than MMM but gives solid, basic easy to understand advise.  Later in the afternoon she asked me to show her where in our payroll system where she could increase here 401k contributions. 

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1208 on: April 16, 2019, 07:37:02 AM »
Not overheard at work but what I did:
Got on the benefits committee at my employer last year, proposed a 401k switch to a better provider from the current AmFunds.
Was given time to research and write a data-driven paper with my findings and recommendations.
Submitted to management after committee peer review.
New corporate Veep asked me to brief her late last year.
Meanwhile, heard about Guideline on MMM Forums, proposed it as an additional/late recommendation.
HR/Benefits team sat with current and prospective providers in Q1 2019, Guideline top in every category.
On 4/1 company announced the switch will happen at the end of the month.
I had to tell them this wasn't an April Fool's Day trick, this was the real thing.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1209 on: April 16, 2019, 07:48:26 AM »
Nicely done, jinga nation! May I ask if there was a small-cap value option as part of the package you proposed?

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1210 on: April 16, 2019, 10:55:04 AM »
Nicely done, jinga nation! May I ask if there was a small-cap value option as part of the package you proposed?
VSIAX

full fund list: https://www.guideline.com/funds

There's no package. You get access to all funds in the above link.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1211 on: April 16, 2019, 02:58:31 PM »
Today at lunch, a younger colleague was asking about the difference between 401k and Roth 401k.  He was doing research over the weekend and had a few things he didn't quite understand.

We had a good discussion about traditional vs tax-deferred, early withdrawal strategies, Roth ladders, etc.

shanghaiMMM

• Stubble
« Reply #1212 on: April 18, 2019, 08:16:29 PM »
A colleague and I were having a small moan about work.

Then he dropped in the conversation about how he was tweaking his 'spreadsheet' to see if he can retire early. He is aiming for 3 years from now.

Happy to find another spreadsheeter at work!

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1213 on: April 19, 2019, 07:51:41 AM »
colleague was moaning that it's still a few years until he can add to the catch-up 401k contributions... because maxing 401k and IRAs isn't enough. I concur.
I told him it wasn't fair that he's 6 years older than me, so he gets a head start. I claim age-discrimination. LOL.

Our chief engineer is also in this boat.

Insufficient ways to reduce taxable is a sore-spot in my company; many of us moan about it.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1214 on: April 20, 2019, 01:48:15 PM »
colleague was moaning that it's still a few years until he can add to the catch-up 401k contributions... because maxing 401k and IRAs isn't enough. I concur.
I told him it wasn't fair that he's 6 years older than me, so he gets a head start. I claim age-discrimination. LOL.

Insufficient ways to reduce taxable is a sore-spot in my company; many of us moan about it.

What other ways do you suggest the company increase tax-deferred space?  I though 401k is usually the best you can hope for, unless you are a partnership or government/charity.  A cash-value pension?

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1215 on: April 21, 2019, 02:28:32 AM »
Recently ay work, just before a software scrum meeting, some guy mentioned his bank. All the others mentioned in choir that he should change banks, because his bank is the most pricy rippoff bank.
I suggested my bank, and someone mentioned that there was even a cheaper bank than mine... I guess it depends on your use of banks. Maybe he was thinking about mortgage interest rates, while I don't have a mortgage.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #1216 on: April 21, 2019, 07:13:02 AM »

What other ways do you suggest the company increase tax-deferred space?  I though 401k is usually the best you can hope for, unless you are a partnership or government/charity.  A cash-value pension?

HSA? I know its a couple grand at most if you max it out for an individual, but its something. Families can sock away almost $7k.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1217 on: April 21, 2019, 11:25:04 PM »

HSA? I know its a couple grand at most if you max it out for an individual, but its something. Families can sock away almost $7k.

You can open one on your own, although it's certainly easier through your employer.  A little like complaining your company doesn't offer an IRA

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1218 on: April 22, 2019, 08:10:43 AM »

You can open one on your own, although it's certainly easier through your employer.  A little like complaining your company doesn't offer an IRA
Employer has all that. Many of us are maxing out every available opportunity. Insufficient avenues to sock away pre-tax monies. (It never is, but we don't complain about paying our fair share of taxes.)

#FirstWorldAnti-AntimustachianProblems :-(

At least we'll be with Vanguard/low-cost funds at Guideline in 8 days. #FuckOffAmericanFunds

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1219 on: April 22, 2019, 03:06:56 PM »
When an HSA is through an employer, you can also avoid payroll taxes (which is the bulk of the taxes I pay). Is that the case if you have an HSA outside of your employer?

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1220 on: April 22, 2019, 11:04:50 PM »
When an HSA is through an employer, you can also avoid payroll taxes (which is the bulk of the taxes I pay). Is that the case if you have an HSA outside of your employer?

No, I don't think so

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #1221 on: April 23, 2019, 07:14:51 AM »

Ah. We've never opened one up outside of my husband's employer, so didn't know it was possible to do on your own!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1222 on: April 23, 2019, 03:10:44 PM »

Ah. We've never opened one up outside of my husband's employer, so didn't know it was possible to do on your own!

Hope I didn't screw up the quoting...

You have to have a HDHP that qualifies for an HSA and otherwise meet the criteria, so make sure it qualifies first.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #1223 on: April 23, 2019, 03:18:47 PM »

You have to have a HDHP that qualifies for an HSA and otherwise meet the criteria, so make sure it qualifies first.

And if you already have one through your husband, as a family it makes more sense to max his out than to open with a third party, as he will save payroll taxes with his contributions.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #1224 on: April 24, 2019, 09:27:07 AM »

And if you already have one through your husband, as a family it makes more sense to max his out than to open with a third party, as he will save payroll taxes with his contributions.

We have separate health insurances right now as it makes more sense to be on different plans (so he's considered an individual). This coming year though it'll make more sense to be on his plan together, and it'll be a few more years after that until maxing the HSA will rise enough above other financial priories. Its on the list for one day though!

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1225 on: April 24, 2019, 09:39:45 AM »

We have separate health insurances right now as it makes more sense to be on different plans (so he's considered an individual). This coming year though it'll make more sense to be on his plan together, and it'll be a few more years after that until maxing the HSA will rise enough above other financial priories. Its on the list for one day though!

I think there are limits to how much the two of you could put into separate HSAs. Check.

penguintroopers

• Bristles
« Reply #1226 on: April 24, 2019, 10:01:40 AM »

I think there are limits to how much the two of you could put into separate HSAs. Check.

There probably are, but right now our contributions are well under his individual max and at $0 for me. We've got a lot of debt to pay off, house savings to do, and 401(k) savings beyond our employer matches before we start sweating over maxing the HSAs. Us putting ANY money in his HSA right now was due to "well, if we do hit his deductible, we're in deep trouble" so its mostly a catastrophic backup plan.

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1227 on: May 09, 2019, 12:25:46 PM »
My twenty-something co-worker was talking about her decision not to buy a game console. She said she wouldn't use it that much, and wanted to save the money to pay down her student loans. She also decided NOT to buy a dog.

God, I'm so proud.

imadandylion

• Stubble
« Reply #1228 on: May 11, 2019, 10:26:32 AM »
I'm pleasantly surprised by my new coworkers. I got a new job a couple months ago, and people are just so much more positive and smart with their money. I am frequently hearing about them discussing costs of things, such as food. A lot of people bring their own lunch because they can't fathom spending so much on eating out. The other day I overheard people talking about how it's much better to buy a used car than new, and someone else was asking someone, "Have you been keeping up with budgeting? I've been doing that and...." (They walked away.) Another coworker has talked a couple times about how much she had in her 401k and how she's been saving a LOT for retirement. So refreshing to hear all this, especially since the office is mostly comprised of people of my age range.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1229 on: May 15, 2019, 08:54:11 AM »
I had a pleasant conversation about finances with a coworker today. While it's a little too late to retire early for her (currently 63), she did mention that between the small amount of investments they have, her pension, social security, and her paid-off house, she and her husband will be financially independent when she retires in two years. Her only reason for waiting that long is healthcare. She also added that her daughter & son-in-law (around my age) currently max out their retirement accounts and plan to retire early as well.

Hopefully, our conversation was loud enough to reach the ears of nearby coworkers who will hopefully realize that they don't have to be chained to a job until they are 65.

joleran

• Bristles
« Reply #1230 on: May 15, 2019, 11:40:45 AM »
I had a pleasant conversation about finances with a coworker today. While it's a little too late to retire early for her (currently 63), she did mention that between the small amount of investments they have, her pension, social security, and her paid-off house, she and her husband will be financially independent when she retires in two years. Her only reason for waiting that long is healthcare. She also added that her daughter & son-in-law (around my age) currently max out their retirement accounts and plan to retire early as well.

Healthcare remains the biggest and riskiest wildcard for early US retirees.  Great strides have been made, but it's far from rock solid dependability on a 50 year retirement.  It's one thing to trust the out of pocket maximums, but another in reality where claims are denied and lost on appeal, to say nothing of how using more cutting-edge methods are covered.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1231 on: May 16, 2019, 07:37:05 AM »

Healthcare remains the biggest and riskiest wildcard for early US retirees.  Great strides have been made, but it's far from rock solid dependability on a 50 year retirement.  It's one thing to trust the out of pocket maximums, but another in reality where claims are denied and lost on appeal, to say nothing of how using more cutting-edge methods are covered.
Even for normal age retirees, healthcare is a huge gamble. Sure Medicare covers a lot, but adding on any of the alphabet soup can get prohibitively expensive fast.

I have floated the idea a few times, so I know that the wife is not a fan of the idea, but I would very much like to geo-arbitrage in retirement simply because of healthcare. She has some belief that other countries are incredibly dangerous, and she likes being close to family.

But who knows what the landscape will look like in 15 years?

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1232 on: May 16, 2019, 10:09:06 AM »

Even for normal age retirees, healthcare is a huge gamble. Sure Medicare covers a lot, but adding on any of the alphabet soup can get prohibitively expensive fast.

I have floated the idea a few times, so I know that the wife is not a fan of the idea, but I would very much like to geo-arbitrage in retirement simply because of healthcare. She has some belief that other countries are incredibly dangerous, and she likes being close to family.

Are you my father?

My dad wants to be somewhere else. My mom thinks it's dangerous to leave the US.

Plus, my dad's jokes are real groaners.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1233 on: May 16, 2019, 10:15:37 AM »
My mom thinks it's dangerous to leave the US.

Isn't it sad how so many people live lives dominated by fear? 

One year I did the math on US troops in Iraq during the occupation.   Turned out that 6 million North Carolinians with nothing but a car and possibly a cellphone or few beers killed more Americans than 17 million Iraqis, some of whom were really trying to kill Americans with guns, bombs and artillery.

Or that, recently, more people are killed by toddlers with guns in the US than are killed by Islamic terrorists.

Facts tend to put risks in perspective.   Overly fearful people tend to ignore facts. :(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 12:24:40 PM by SwordGuy »

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1234 on: May 16, 2019, 10:19:17 AM »

Are you my father?

My dad wants to be somewhere else. My mom thinks it's dangerous to leave the US.

Are you five months old? If so, I am impressed by your use of technology at such a young age, but your mother and I are trying not to introduce too much reliance on screens so young.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1235 on: May 16, 2019, 10:23:02 AM »

Are you my father?

Are you five months old? If so, I am impressed by your use of technology at such a young age, but your mother and I are trying not to introduce too much reliance on screens so young.

I'm younger than my avatar makes me look, but, uh... I guess you're not my father.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1236 on: May 16, 2019, 11:59:54 AM »
So I'm in Starbucks (working; note: gift card) a couple months ago. This guy is staring at me for a while, then comes up and says, "I don't want this to sound awkward, but you look a lot like my father did at your age". I told him that I did have a son, and asked if he was visiting from the future. Perhaps we'd better start studying now so that we know what questions to ask the time travelers when they do show up.

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1237 on: May 16, 2019, 12:23:39 PM »

Many of us who live outside the US think that the US is a very dangerous place to live. Way too many people carrying guns, frequent school shootings, etc.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1238 on: May 16, 2019, 01:00:49 PM »

Many of us who live outside the US think that the US is a very dangerous place to live. Way too many people carrying guns, frequent school shootings, etc.

Exactly my thoughts every time an American asks me "But how's the safety in [foreign place that's not destructed by war]?"

I also find it extremely interesting how many people report on their travels with "[insert any city/country] was a great city, felt very safe!", like that's part of your holiday pleasure evaluation?

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1239 on: May 16, 2019, 01:40:08 PM »

Exactly my thoughts every time an American asks me "But how's the safety in [foreign place that's not destructed by war]?"

I also find it extremely interesting how many people report on their travels with "[insert any city/country] was a great city, felt very safe!", like that's part of your holiday pleasure evaluation?

I caught some serious shade last summer for taking my kid to Roatan on vacation (not on a cruise).  Yes, it's Honduras, but no, it's not a war zone.  No fewer than three people told me that they'd never go because they couldn't take their guns and a third told me that I should have my kid taken away for taking him there.  He was going to freaking dolphin trainer camp, FFS.  How many kids would love to do that?

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1240 on: May 16, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »

We are looking into a Caribbean vacation next year, and I think it'd be a better experience and a better use of credit card rewards points to only use points for the flight, then to just pay out of pocket for an AirBnB. She would much rather go to a resort (or take a cruise) because she thinks it's somehow unsafe to have some semblance of living like a local.

We might be confined to domestic vacations for the rest of our lives.

Imma

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1241 on: May 16, 2019, 04:26:49 PM »

I guess feeling unsafe would kind of ruin the holiday, but how many places are actually unsafe? I don't feel unsafe very often, not abroad and not at home. I have travelled a lot on my own and of course as a woman you watch your back but nothing bad has ever happened.

I haven't been to the US but several people I know went there and really felt unsafe. A friend of mine took the wrong exit off a road in Miami and ended up in a very rough area where a few white college students in a car were immediately noticed. Nothing happened but they were threatened with a gun and drove back to the main road as fast as they could. They were really really scared, don't think any of them had ever seen a gun irl or had ever been in any kind of fight/violent situation. I have heard several stories like that. There are probably a couple dozen countries in the world that are both safer and have cheaper healthcare than the US.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1242 on: May 16, 2019, 10:27:51 PM »
I strongly suspect the kind of American who asks "is it safe in [country]" are the same kind of Americans who are scared to come to any large American city. I'm always running into tourists from Iowa or someplace that got on the wrong train and freaked out because they ended up in a "bad" neighborhood, which usually means "nothing actually happened to us but we're scared of black people and therefore felt threatened." Mind you, the same thing happens with tourists from Canada and Finland and etc. because they think the US is like a cross between The Wire, The Sopranos, and Breaking Bad and they're just waiting for a gun battle to break out at any moment.

Hirondelle

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1243 on: May 17, 2019, 12:15:13 AM »

I guess feeling unsafe would kind of ruin the holiday, but how many places are actually unsafe? I don't feel unsafe very often, not abroad and not at home. I have travelled a lot on my own and of course as a woman you watch your back but nothing bad has ever happened.

Sure feeling unsafe would ruin a trip, but that's exactly where my surprise comes from. I would only mention it if I felt actively unsafe during some part of the trip (e.g. your Miami-example).

I spent quite some time in the US (and many other countries) and generally felt very safe, even in some more 'rough' neighbourhoods that I frequented while living there. The only time I felt actively unsafe was when there was a bunch of homeless junks approaching me and my family in SF. They were shouting at me specifically so I was glad I was with family rather than alone.

Alfred J Quack

• Bristles
« Reply #1244 on: May 17, 2019, 12:40:19 AM »
I strongly suspect the kind of American who asks "is it safe in [country]" are the same kind of Americans who are scared to come to any large American city. I'm always running into tourists from Iowa or someplace that got on the wrong train and freaked out because they ended up in a "bad" neighborhood, which usually means "nothing actually happened to us but we're scared of black people and therefore felt threatened." Mind you, the same thing happens with tourists from Canada and Finland and etc. because they think the US is like a cross between The Wire, The Sopranos, and Breaking Bad and they're just waiting for a gun battle to break out at any moment.
This is so true!

Although I don't think they feel threatened, but rather insecure about their position as they are suddenly the minority.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1245 on: May 17, 2019, 01:27:43 AM »

(Average) The police of New York (8 million people) kills more people per day than the police of whole Germany (80 million people) - in a year.

In Germany, car traffic kills 10 times more people as get murdered.
The US has 5 times the murder rate.
And in the car country of the world, USA, roughly the same number of people die from gun accidents as car accidents. (30K)
In Germany there are roughly 800 death by guns per year - 90% of them suicides.

Parizade

• Handlebar Stache
  • Happily FIREd
« Reply #1246 on: May 17, 2019, 01:56:14 AM »
I'm always running into tourists from Iowa or someplace that got on the wrong train and freaked out because they ended up in a "bad" neighborhood, which usually means "nothing actually happened to us but we're scared of black people and therefore felt threatened."

I live on the border of Iowa and Minnesota, some people here can't believe I'm planning to spend the winter in Mexico next year because Mexico is supposedly so dangerous.

First, I will be in Yucatan, the safest state in Mexico with LESS violent crime per capita than Iowa or Minnesota.

Secondly, the National Guard had to be called up in Minnesota TWICE over this past winter to rescue stranded motorists during severe ice and snowstorms. Children were freezing to death in their own backyards. People were dying in their homes from carbon monoxide because furnace vents were being blocked by ice and snow. Blocked dryer vents were causing housefires.

But Mexico is too dangerous???!!!

I also plan to get as much of my medical care as possible while I am down there. Healthcare in Merida is world class quality with a significantly lower price tag.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1247 on: May 17, 2019, 04:49:12 AM »
And in the car country of the world, USA, roughly the same number of people die from gun accidents as car accidents. (30K)
In Germany there are roughly 800 death by guns per year - 90% of them suicides.

While you have a strong overall overall point, your "gun accidents" number for the USA includes all gun fatalities, most of which are intentional. Unfortunately.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1248 on: May 17, 2019, 07:33:01 AM »
I think with traveling to a place, people naturally feel more cautious because you make all of these arrangements--place to stay, transportation, etc.--remotely, so it's harder to change course if you arrive there and feel very unsafe.

Also, the rule of law in other countries isn't as strong as we are used to in the US (I know, I know, you can see my opinions about Trump in other threads). But seriously, the culture of bribery, etc., is far more common in other places. And not having the standing of citizenship as we do here.

Finally, when you travel abroad, you stick out as an American. You just do. Different clothes, hair style, behavior. Germany was mentioned in other posts, and I promise the Germans will figure out quickly that you...aren't.

shelivesthedream

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1249 on: May 17, 2019, 08:27:34 AM »
I think with traveling to a place, people naturally feel more cautious because you make all of these arrangements--place to stay, transportation, etc.--remotely, so it's harder to change course if you arrive there and feel very unsafe.

Also, the rule of law in other countries isn't as strong as we are used to in the US (I know, I know, you can see my opinions about Trump in other threads). But seriously, the culture of bribery, etc., is far more common in other places. And not having the standing of citizenship as we do here.

Finally, when you travel abroad, you stick out as an American. You just do. Different clothes, hair style, behavior. Germany was mentioned in other posts, and I promise the Germans will figure out quickly that you...aren't.

Yeeeeeesss... but... the world is a big place. I would feel pretty unsafe going to Syria. But I think Germans would be pretty surprised if they were told the rule of law isn't as strong there as in America. The Germans would absolutely figure out (probably before you opened your mouth) that you were American and then... what? Shoot you? Seriously, I think Germany is probably one of the safest countries in the world. Is it because they speak a foreign language? (Discounting the fact that many Germans do actually speak excellent English). The UK is pretty safe too - also safer, on average, than America.

Absolutely, some places in the world are not very safe - including extremely unsafe for certain classes of people. But one can't just lump it into "America" and "the entire world" and decide it's not safe to go to Germany just because somewhere else has a civil war on.