Author Topic: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition  (Read 981389 times)

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work: The Anti-Antimustachian Edition
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2014, 02:26:34 PM »
Colleague's status on facebook:
Our society is so obsessed with STUFF that there is an entire store built around only selling containers to put all of our STUFF in, and it makes enough money to survive in Manhattan.

I felt that way when I used to watch Storage Wars. People paid $30-$50 a month to hang on to that?!  Quite often the locker wasn't anywhere close to full.

Wait a minute, you used to pay for cable to watch that?!

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2014, 02:29:59 PM »
Our society is so obsessed with STUFF that there is an entire store built around only selling containers to put all of our STUFF in, and it makes enough money to survive in Manhattan.

I felt that way when I used to watch Storage Wars. People paid $30-$50 a month to hang on to that?!  Quite often the locker wasn't anywhere close to full.

Wait a minute, you used to pay for cable to watch that?!

Hell no, but my father-in-law would have it on the TV at his place. That and pawn stars. And ice road truckers.

I hate reality tv. Seriously.

flamingo25

• Stubble
« Reply #102 on: October 24, 2014, 10:58:19 PM »
I think pretty much all of our C Suite Executives walk, bus, or bike to work. My favorite is the guy who runs  ~4 miles to work.  Due to back problems he doesn't wear a backpack.  His workaround - a jogging stroller!  His youngest is in middle school so I'm not sure if it was his from years ago or if he bought a cheap used one.  Either way creative solution!

Heh, I love that!

One company I used to work at in downtown Seattle, my boss, I forget his exact title now -maybe controller? anyway, he would run to work in downtown Seattle... from the Issaquah Highlands!

Holy cow. That's quite a run.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #103 on: October 25, 2014, 09:50:34 AM »
I think pretty much all of our C Suite Executives walk, bus, or bike to work. My favorite is the guy who runs  ~4 miles to work.  Due to back problems he doesn't wear a backpack.  His workaround - a jogging stroller!  His youngest is in middle school so I'm not sure if it was his from years ago or if he bought a cheap used one.  Either way creative solution!

Heh, I love that!

One company I used to work at in downtown Seattle, my boss, I forget his exact title now -maybe controller? anyway, he would run to work in downtown Seattle... from the Issaquah Highlands!

Holy cow. That's quite a run.
There's one guy here in town who bikes to work 3x a week, 40 miles one way.  His office has a huge stash of PB&J.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 25, 2014, 09:01:13 PM »
I quite often waited in line behind head of accouting (I.e. the 2ic for the cfo) of my large publicly listed company in order to use the microwave to heat leftovers :)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2014, 09:28:10 PM »
One of the guys always brings his lunch + often bikes to work.  Pretty impressive.

Andiham

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2014, 09:49:13 PM »
I recently got a new job. It's in the financial industry and so far, I am very impressed with the caliber of my coworkers and bosses. During training, my fellow new hires and I listened to a presentation about how to build our own personal wealth. They showed us different charts with information on if we invested $100, $200, $500, etc per month into our 401k/ maxed out the IRA, etc, how much money we would have in 20 years. They said if we would max out our 401k (and also get the *50%* match) and max out our IRA each year, we would be millionaires in 14 years. All of my coworkers' eyes lit up. I think it's awesome that they encourage us to invest heavily and that they show how much they care through that generous match.

Also, I was overjoyed this past week discussing how many of my coworkers found their stylish clothes at various thrift stores and to see many of them bringing their lunch to work rather than eating out.

I think I'm going to like this place....

Elderwood17

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #107 on: October 27, 2014, 02:49:56 PM »
One of my co workers has always gone out for fast food at lunch.  She decided to start eating at work hoping to lose some weight.  She started with frozen lean cuisine type meals and noticed several of us bring our own lunch, so she switched to salads she makes each morning herself.  She said she has lost some weight but what really got her excited was she 'didn't realize how much cheaper it is to eat your own food'!  Now she is telling everyone that you can save a lot of money bringing your own lunch to work.

Hey, she is learning and at least headed I the right direction.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #108 on: October 28, 2014, 02:54:43 AM »
I recently got a new job. It's in the financial industry and so far, I am very impressed with the caliber of my coworkers and bosses. During training, my fellow new hires and I listened to a presentation about how to build our own personal wealth. They showed us different charts with information on if we invested $100, $200, $500, etc per month into our 401k/ maxed out the IRA, etc, how much money we would have in 20 years. They said if we would max out our 401k (and also get the *50%* match) and max out our IRA each year, we would be millionaires in 14 years. All of my coworkers' eyes lit up. I think it's awesome that they encourage us to invest heavily and that they show how much they care through that generous match.

Also, I was overjoyed this past week discussing how many of my coworkers found their stylish clothes at various thrift stores and to see many of them bringing their lunch to work rather than eating out.

I think I'm going to like this place....

That's amazing!

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2014, 05:49:32 AM »
I overheard my co worker cancelling her cable subscription :) I also saw a guy put his 10yr old Nokia on the table in a meeting today (impressive that he both had the phone and didn't try to hide it).

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2014, 07:09:45 AM »

The only caveat I'd throw on to this is that the ability to pack even a modest life into a teeny-tiny New York apartment requires much creative storage... not that I disagree with the larger point, of course.

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #111 on: November 04, 2014, 07:13:56 AM »
On my way to work, I stopped to vote and there was no place to park my bike because the two racks were overflowing. Mind you, it's November in New England, so it was hardly balmy at the time either.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2014, 05:06:35 PM »
Wait why is in the anti-antimustachian thread?

Charm14

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2014, 10:48:14 PM »
Last week I went on a date with a 23 year old guy and we started talking about making it through school without using student loans (which he had managed to do). I made a joke/sarcastic comment about using credit cards to pay for everything "because that's what they were for." He looked at me like I was crazy, which I found very encouraging. I clarified that I've never carried a cc balance in my life and don't plan to start, and he stopped looking so judge-y. He also uses a flip phone. I might have found a mustachian.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2014, 04:52:35 AM »
Last week I went on a date with a 23 year old guy and we started talking about making it through school without using student loans (which he had managed to do). I made a joke/sarcastic comment about using credit cards to pay for everything "because that's what they were for." He looked at me like I was crazy, which I found very encouraging. I clarified that I've never carried a cc balance in my life and don't plan to start, and he stopped looking so judge-y. He also uses a flip phone. I might have found a mustachian.

Yeah, you've found a mustachian in the wild. Careful with those things, when cornered they can become ferocious!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #115 on: November 06, 2014, 04:58:41 AM »
When I was eating in the tearoom at work the other day (n=15 at the time) I noted that the people who brought their home-cooked lunches to work outnumbered the ones who purchased lunch by 4:1. And the boss just cap-exed a new fridge which is twice the size of the old one, to give people room to store their lunches.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #116 on: November 06, 2014, 06:04:16 AM »

Yeah, you've found a mustachian in the wild. Careful with those things, when cornered they can become ferocious!

Steve Irwin: "He's a beauty! Just look at the size of his bank accounts!"

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2014, 07:21:26 AM »

Crikey! I just lol'd.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2014, 08:45:58 AM »

Crikey! I just lol'd.

+1 Crikey indeed.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2014, 02:56:07 PM »

Anyone else read that in their heads in Steve's voice?

frugalnacho

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2014, 07:44:57 AM »

Yea everyone did.

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2014, 07:49:38 AM »

Yea everyone did.

Every time someone mentions the words "mustachian in the wild" I think of Steve Irwin.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #122 on: November 07, 2014, 08:26:20 AM »

That made me laugh IRL!

TN_Steve

• Bristles
« Reply #123 on: November 07, 2014, 10:35:41 PM »
law firm.  First person in the name of the firm, who makes a bit more than most people.  His wife bought an Accord in late 80's.  She wanted newer car.  He decided "still running" about 10 years ago, and still drives it every day.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2014, 12:14:10 AM »
My office is pretty badass. Most people brown bag it daily (largely, I suspect, because there is only a Subway's close to work) and we're all physically fit. Some of us have nice and new cars, but eh, what can you do? This is the kind of thing that happens in the military lifestyle.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: November 12, 2014, 04:46:20 AM »
I frequent Cracked.com for humorous stories and such.  An article from a few days ago delved into a few franchises that are poised to go the Marvel route and try to set up multiple movies set in their own universes with some of them being blatant and poorly thought out cash grabs.  Some of the author's points are hilarious while others miss the boat (standard for a Cracked article).  Regardless, the comments section had this gem:

Well I, for one, am grateful to Hollywood for this trend. Money is tight right now, and the knowledge that there will be no movies I want to see for the foreseeable future will be a great help with my budgeting.

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/4-baffling-ways-random-movies-are-copying-the-avengers/

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #126 on: November 14, 2014, 03:25:22 PM »
Got an email from a director here announcing her retirement in less than 2 weeks.  Retiring to take care of new grandson.  Glad she has that option.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2014, 03:34:28 AM »
Overheard yesterday - two colleagues discussing the best way to ensure that they maxed out their annual superannuation contributions while avoiding penalties for over-contribution to tax advantaged accounts (annual limit / pay periods vs. a little bit less than this each fortnight and a catch-up payment at the end of the financial period).

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2014, 04:39:46 AM »
A head of our section (ca 500 people worldwide) doesn't own a car and takes the same train as myself to work every morning. Still rents the same apartment she had 15 years ago when she had a job similar to what I have now.

GrayGhost

• Bristles
« Reply #129 on: November 15, 2014, 12:14:35 PM »
Why isn't she retired yet, then?

Albert

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #130 on: November 15, 2014, 05:48:02 PM »
Why isn't she retired yet, then?

I would have to be a close friend of hers to know that (people here are more discreet about finances than in US) and if I were I would definitely not be disclosing it here. My guess would be because she is still only in her early 40-ties and seems to be on a fastback for senior management.

infogoon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #131 on: November 18, 2014, 09:24:41 AM »
"Sorry I can't go out to lunch with you guys -- I'm still eating my way through the last bunch of produce from my farm share."

Tallgirl1204

• Stubble
« Reply #132 on: November 18, 2014, 09:55:18 AM »
So, a bunch of us at work got sucked into a "are you ready for retirement" meeting with a guy who presented himself as a "financial educator."  Somehow our workplace encouraged the meeting, and I had my suspicions, but I was hoping for a pat on the back or whatever. 

He wasn't able to tell any of us much that we didn't already know, since the only ones to sign up were the ones who were somewhat on top of our finances anyway.  He was able to run some retirement numbers, but it was more confirmation than new news to anyone.

Turns out the guy came to us in the guise of his "non-profit educational" business that really is a front to drum up business for his other "let me sell you annuities and get you set up with an active management person" business.  In the initial "grooming" meeting, he told us that one of his active traders had raked in a "700% return" in the last 14 years.  (One of my coworkers replied "You sound like Bernie Madoff talking.  That's not a selling point."  Kinda startled the guy.) 

He has been calling all of us to "follow up" ever since the initial meeting.  Nobody has set up a second meeting with him.  And we have had a little chat with the manager who proposed the initial appointments, and I don't think the guy will be coming back. 

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #133 on: November 19, 2014, 02:08:17 AM »
He has been calling all of us to "follow up" ever since the initial meeting.  Nobody has set up a second meeting with him.  And we have had a little chat with the manager who proposed the initial appointments, and I don't think the guy will be coming back.
Right so! Starve them out!
There are so many "advisors" of all types running around that just want to sell you your stuff, its amazing if you find a real advisor.

Frugal_Red

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #134 on: November 19, 2014, 05:50:12 AM »
This thread is wonderful! Even better that the Antimustachian Edition (which I just finished reading through!) :-D

My contribution: I was talking with a co-work about my love of thrifting & the ridiculousness of buying most things new.  It turned out we have a shared love of yard-sales and flea market finds.  Our talk eventually moved on to finances so I told her about MMM & the general principals of badassity.  This past week she said she is now trying to read at least a few articles a week & is re-looking at upping her 401K contributions and investments! :-D Yay!

Pooperman

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2014, 06:20:16 AM »
A friend of a friend (old co-worker from another job) joined the company I work for as head of a newly created department. I'm to take over her old work, so we had a meeting together. She's in her late 30s and has her hair super on fire as far as I can tell (I didn't get into it too much). However, during the discussion, we got to talking about finance, and I passed on a few things I've learned here through example. She seemed very interested, so hopefully she will be back. I recommended she read "your money or your life" since it'll probably make a bigger impact on her than "the millionaire next door". I'll be sure to come back here in a month or two with some updates!

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2014, 06:30:19 AM »

Coworker saw my library book sitting on my desk.  "Oooh! There's a public library near here?!? Where? Free books are always better."
2 websites for the bibliophile:

http://bookshelfporn.com/
http://littlemissdorkette.tumblr.com/post/3118512524/date-a-girl-who-reads-by-rosemarie-urquico

Couldn't resist this. A little off topic and a couple of choice words, but a great little skit on girls who read.

http://youtu.be/lmEbF2uhsZk

ontheroaderic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2014, 07:04:44 AM »
Got a good one last week.

Coworker (our bookkeeper actually) is telling me about the oil changes on her Lexus.

"There are LEDs on either side of the entry that light up as you pull through to guide you. There's a screen that senses your car and welcomes you by name! There's a brand new Lexus at your disposal if you need to go run an errand, by why would you? There's a full bar, a movie theater, snacks, bottled water . . . and best of all, it's free!"

Free, eh? Not part of the purchase price of the vehicle? Not part of that payment you're making every month? Sign me up!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2014, 07:11:24 AM »

Coworker (our bookkeeper actually) is telling me about the oil changes on her Lexus.

"There are LEDs on either side of the entry that light up as you pull through to guide you. There's a screen that senses your car and welcomes you by name! There's a brand new Lexus at your disposal if you need to go run an errand, by why would you? There's a full bar, a movie theater, snacks, bottled water . . . and best of all, it's free!"

Free, eh? Not part of the purchase price of the vehicle? Not part of that payment you're making every month? Sign me up!
? Shouldn't this be in the Antimustachian thread?

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2014, 02:48:24 PM »
I was taking my daily lunch break walk and I overheard another walker mention that she was keeping the thermostat a 66, and just firing up the gas logs for a minute to warm up her backside after coming in from the cold.     

ontheroaderic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2014, 04:08:19 PM »

? Shouldn't this be in the Antimustachian thread?

I'm confused! The anti-anti? I thought it was anti-anti-anti! Yes, it needs to be moved, but I don't see how I can do that, need a mod?

thecornercat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2014, 04:26:44 PM »
Ooh, I like this thread! I wish it had existed a few months back, because I've forgotten some of the details. My co-worker was giving me a ride home and was feeling a little embarrassed about her car. She bought it used seven years ago for $4-5K. She seemed embarrassed because I think she thought I would judge her for going used/buying an inexpensive car, but it was functional, it was cute, and she owns it outright. I don't drive (no license) and I don't have a car, but if I ever get around to it, that's the way I want to go :).

Dr. A

• Stubble
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »
You can't move it, but you can remove the post here and make a new one in the right thread.

On my way to work, I stopped to vote and there was no place to park my bike because the two racks were overflowing. Mind you, it's November in New England, so it was hardly balmy at the time either.

I just realized why there was confusion about the location of this post. When I said "two racks were overflowing" I meant two of these:

My point was that there were a crap load of people who rode their bikes on a cold morning to vote.

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2014, 05:05:23 PM »
My intern asked me about IRAs today - this lead to a discussion about early retirement, what types of investments I have, index funds, and getting started early.

He seemed amused and shocked, but also intrigued at my plan to retire in 8-10 years; I hope he goes home and opens that IRA he was asking about!

SweetRedWine

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #144 on: November 20, 2014, 07:45:37 PM »
While I was eating lunch today in the small cafeteria at work, another employee was extolling the virtues of biking to work.  He mentioned never regretting riding his bike to work even when it was cold out, how efficient the exercise was, and he even spoke of the cost savings.  I almost asked if he was familiar with the MMM website. 

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #145 on: November 20, 2014, 08:26:44 PM »
While I was eating lunch today in the small cafeteria at work, another employee was extolling the virtues of biking to work.  He mentioned never regretting riding his bike to work even when it was cold out, how efficient the exercise was, and he even spoke of the cost savings.  I almost asked if he was familiar with the MMM website.
You should ask him! Seems like a prime candidate to become a Mustachian if he isn't already.

DeepEllumStache

• Magnum Stache
  • I came, I saw, I made it awkward
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2014, 08:02:18 AM »
Ran into a former coworker on my walk into work a month ago.  She has been taking the free trolley and walking the rest of the way in.  When she heard that I had no intention of driving even as the weather got cold, she made her rethink her plan to convert since she and her husband have only 1 car. 

We happened to run into each other again on the morning it was below freezing and laughed about how the cold weather walk wasn't too bad of an experience.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2014, 01:16:42 AM »
One of the NCOs in my unit is leaving the Army in about 6 months.  I've heard whispers that he's insanely frugal, but over lunch the other day I found out he's saved almost every dime from this deployment.  He's not maintaining an apartment back home, no car payment, and no other bills except maybe a storage shed.  From what I can tell he doesn't spend any money on himself either out here (fast food, toys, hobbies).  His frugality is occasionally joked at amongst his social circle, and I've been wanting to sit down and trade notes on the what and whys.  He's either just a mustachian at heart or he's hedging against any problems with a job search after he departs.  Either way I like where his head is.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2014, 02:17:07 AM »
I've been a SAHM for over 20 years now, so I guess I retired really early ... haha!

One thing I do recall from my working days was how everyone in the staffroom brought either leftovers or homemade sandwiches for lunch. Someone buying their lunch would have been a real oddity in my workplace back in 1988!

Awesome thread -- just read it from start to finish!

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »
A bunch of us (mostly retired) were sitting around at coffee this morning, and we got to talking vacations.  I am in a mustachian hotbed.  They all pay their credit cards off in full every month, no-one pays interest.  They all have either a reward miles or cash-back card or both.  Some (not all) of them are visiting "home" in Europe (dual citizens), so their travel is not cheap, but with the card rewards they are not spending much.  They book last minute cruises (cheap).  It was wonderful.

(And to refute some of the guys on this forum who have posited that women are "spendypants", these were all women.  Mind you, their spouses are on board with this sensible spending.)