Author Topic: Overheard at work  (Read 3314 times)

Ms. Doodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Doodles and Cents
Overheard at work
« on: March 29, 2013, 07:19:55 AM »
One of my "favorite" anecdotes from work.  Colleague A is a six figure salary. He has a fancy townhouse, luxury car, and regular expensive vacations.  Colleague B is making half of A.  They were talking about investment opportunities.

(paraphrased)

B: Check out this (some kind of investment).  You only need about 10K to start.

A:  I don't have 10K lying around.

At that point, I wanted to say something but it would've been rude.  So glad that B said something along the lines of "you have to start saving up".

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
Re: Overheard at work
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 11:59:07 AM »
Of course maybe the reason that he doesn't have $10K laying around is that it's already invested elsewhere - which is a pretty good way to avoid investment "opportunities".

Ms. Doodles

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Doodles and Cents
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 12:33:54 PM »
Of course maybe the reason that he doesn't have $10K laying around is that it's already invested elsewhere - which is a pretty good way to avoid investment "opportunities".

I understand what you mean about avoiding investment tips and "opportunities".  And I wish that he had some investments on the side.  Or any safety net for that matter.  Unfortunately, he doesn't really have 10K saved up even for emergencies. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 12:38:15 PM by Ms. Doodles »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 03:34:10 PM »
Yeah I'm pretty sure this would be my response regardless of how much I actually have lying around (which may very well be under 10k depending on my last rebalance).