Author Topic: American Family Life Among Piles of Clutter  (Read 10615 times)

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
American Family Life Among Piles of Clutter
« on: March 12, 2013, 12:20:32 PM »
If you've got about twelve minutes, check out this video. This is a study done by a university in Southern California regarding people's "Stuff." I am proud to say that my house does not look as bad as these homes, even without being able to park a car in the garage (granted, no kids)!

http://www.kcet.org/shows/socal_connected/content/culture/study-reveals-portrait-of-american-family-life-among-piles-of-clutter.html
Some quotable gems:

"People are protecting these mounds of clutter and junk in the garage while the $35K car sits out in the elements on the street!"

From a family that went completely modern/ uncluttered in a whole-house remodel: "We don't miss what's gone- We don't even REMEMBER what's gone!"

DebtDerp

• Stubble
Re: American Family Life Among Piles of Clutter
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2013, 12:12:03 AM »
Interesting juxtaposition of these homes and MMM's house. I definitely lean more towards the de-cluttered and more minimalist design.

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2013, 03:09:26 AM »
I'm trying to get there. Lots of stuf to still to sell.

jdoolin

• Stubble
    • Just My Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2013, 05:42:32 AM »
"The United States has 3.1% of the world's children and purchases 40% of the world's toys."

Wow.

kolorado

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »
Yep, these look just like most all the homes of families with children I know, 2 working parents or not. In fact, the homes with one parent home seem to be even worse, but that might be a homeschooling issue. Then again, I also homeschool and everything lives neatly on an enclosed bookshelf and small hutch in our dining room. ~shrug~
I am also very happy to report that our home does not look like those homes. We can actually get three cars in the three car garage. The attic is empty. The basement houses only my sewing supplies and beer making supplies. My fridge door is empty of all clutter. I regularly donate toys and clothes to the thrift stores. I regularly go through paperwork and sell read books and unused games. I also carefully monitor what comes in to the house. A few years ago, I kept track of every non-consumable item that game in and it amounted to less than 100 items per month. This included everything we replaced that was broken as well as all the toys and clothes people gave to our children(and we had a newborn at the time and two sets of close grandparents). That same year, I also sent over 4000 items out of our home and storage shed. It's crucial with kids to keep on top of the stuff!
My inspirations for keeping the clutter down with kids in the house was growing up in a home way worse than anything pictured in the videos(literally walking on 3 inches of clothes and toys in bedrooms, books and papers covering every surface in living rooms, a yard like a junkyard- I don't blame my parents, they were fighting a losing battle which is a longer story than I'll share here)and my amazing grandmother. I didn't actually "like" this grandmother but she was so inspiring. She got up every morning at 5(even when she had her three young children), started breakfast, started a load of laundry, vacuumed/mopped/dusted the entire house, finished and served breakfast, cleaned up the kitchen-never saw a dirty dish in her kitchen-, hung the load of laundry out on the line, filled her bird and hummingbird feeders, then worked in her pretty flower beds for 10 minutes. We lived next door and I saw her do this routine every morning for 15+ years. By 8am every morning she was ready for visitors and she always had them. Friends and family came over to linger at her kitchen table, drink tea and gossip, sometimes all day. She'd pull out sandwich fixings and soup for lunch and the conversation would continue.
And that brings me to what I think is the driving force behind this degeneration in American homes....lack of regularly entertaining friends and family who have decent cleanliness standards. When I know people will be over regularly, I clean more. My standards go up. I don't just want to open a box of food for guests, I want to fix them something homemade and unique. Maybe I want to do this because I was exposed to people with standards like that. Most parents I know have friends who don't care as much as they don't care. They have plenty of friends over but everyone steps over the strewn clutter like it's not there as they stand around eating hot dogs from the grill or a chain take-out pizza, chips and soda.
I don't get up at 5am like my grandmother and I don't clean like she did everyday, but the house gets a good pick-up twice a week as well as a thorough cleaning every Saturday. Every year my goal is to remove 2000+ items from our home(trash, donate, sell)over the course of the entire year. In addition, I purge another 1000 in the Fall.
I tried to teach some of my family and friends my strategies for decluttering a little bit at a time without much success. Once while over a friend's home, she pulled 4 giant garbage bags of baby clothes from her storage shed looking for a particular item to give to another friend's baby. All the clothes were outgrown on her youngest child and she cannot have any more children. It's moments like these that you send the stuff out. You don't need it now, won't need it in the future and you already have it out of the shed so just walk it to the car or send it all to the friend instead of putting it back in the shed. But no, back in to the shed the bags went. :(

babysteps

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2013, 01:49:27 PM »
I'd always wondered but hadn't found a statistic for the number of Americans who can't fit their car(s) in their garage(s) because the garage is full of stuff.

Sunday there was an article by Graham Hill in the NY Times "Living With Less.  A Lot Less."  where he cited a UCLA study of 32 middle-class LA families.  It said 75% of the study families "couldn't park their cars in their garages because they were too jammed with things."

Thanks to the influence of my spouse our 2 cars both fit in our garage.  Even pre-MMM when we were much more spendy, he was not a clutter bug and kept me from being one.  I know, face punch for having more than 1 car...  When we go by a yard sale, we joke "how are we on stuff?" knowing that we have more than enough (still, after significant downsizing).

galaxie

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 02:14:10 PM »
My garage is full of.... bicycles.  :)

MrSaturday

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 02:32:49 PM »
It's pretty rare to see an empty driveway in my neighborhood.  Other than me, I think there are only 2 or 3 other people in a quarter mile radius who use the garage to store vehicles.

Posthumane

• Bristles
    • Getting Around Canada
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 02:51:24 PM »
I have to admit that I can't fit either my car or my gf's car in the garage, but on the other hand the cars are also worth far less than all the combined stuff in the garage. We paid $2500 and $1600 for the cars, whereas my garage contains several bicycles (including a couple of home made ones), a motorcycle which cost me more than both of the above mentioned cars combined, a project car which I'm building (Locost, though it's not much more than a frame at this point), and a bunch of automotive/fabrication tools. The trick is to simply rename your garage to "workshop" and then everything is okay. :)

Of course those are all false justifications. Clutter is a big problem for me, and being a pack-rat doesn't help.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2013, 10:11:58 PM »
Four years at a service academy and then our years of sea duty have pretty much cured us of the clutter bug.

Spouse likes to have tchotchkes on horizontal surfaces, but she limits herself to cabinets and shelves.  Of course she also handles the dusting, so I have no reason to kvetch...

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2013, 11:24:23 PM »
I'd always wondered but hadn't found a statistic for the number of Americans who can't fit their car(s) in their garage(s) because the garage is full of stuff.

The question, though, is why (as a general rule) you would want to put cars in a garage, except to work on them.  To me, a garage is not a place to park a car, it's a workshop.

psychomoustache

• Bristles
  • American expat in France
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 05:34:41 AM »
yah, a bunch of bikes anda workshop fill our tiny-one car French-y garage. No two car garages in our lives anyway... but we have six bikes, I think ?  A bunch of hiking boots, the kitty litter, and old clothes waiting for the goodwill...OK a bit of clutter...

Rollin

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 06:26:38 AM »
My garage is full of.... bicycles.  :)

Thanks for this post - as I was thinking the same thing!  We have two vehicles outside, but they are both 10 years old (still in nice shape).  14 bikes in the garage (5 family members), 5 of which are folders.  Motorcycle in there too.  The rest is laundry (crazy to have the dryer in the house in Florida - cool the air with AC, heat it with the dryer, send it outside, and leave a hot dryer to sit and cool in the AC), painting supplies, tools, plumbing supplies - and yes - some Christmas and other holiday stuff.

Self-employed-swami

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 07:05:03 AM »
Our garage is technically a 2 car garage, but you'd have to have the skinniest cars ever to get them in in there together.  We have a work bench and shelves build on one side.  We can get our one car in there most of the time.  In the summer though, the car gets ousted, and DH's woodworking projects move from the basement into the garage, for staining and all the things he can't do in the basement in the winter.

Also, I have 12 bins of work junk in there.

BPA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 08:30:55 AM »
Thanks for posting the link. 

Funny how some people actually seem to find clutter soothing like they need to keep their stuff around to feel good about themselves.  I have one friend who will condescendingly remark, "I could never be a minimalist" as if it were the most distasteful, unnatural thing.   She really hates her job and wants to retire but also loves to shop.

That women feel more stressed by the mess than men must be cultural unless maybe men just don't see it and it's biological.  Many people judge women for messiness and clutter and don't judge men.  You'd think we'd have evolved past those judgments.

Even some of the comments in this thread struck me as smug but I guess that is sometimes a side effect of the drive to reach FI (as is sometimes acknowledged in the ERE forums).

noob515

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 09:26:43 AM »
Wow.  That video gives me anxiety.  I'm definitely a more minimalist person, though not like Couple #1 in the video. 

A couple I'm friends with - their house is almost as bad as those in the video/book.  In the 5 years since they bought their house, I've only seen it CLEAN once.  Other than that, it's just toys, papers, and crap strewn about; dishes always piled up in the sink and on the counters, etc.  The kids' stuff has just taken over the entire house..... They also have 2 sheds in the backyard FULL of stuff.  They think their giant 7-seater SUV (which was only 2 years old) was "too small" for a family of 4 to travel with over the holidays, so they got rid of it for a $35,000 8-seater SUV.  I can only assume that will be too small after they have another baby....

It reminds me of something David Bach ("Smart People Finish Rich") said in his books: a lot of Americans spend too much money buying too much stuff they don't need, and then need to spend more money on storage units or big fancy houses, just so they have the space to store all the stuff they don't use.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 09:31:21 AM »
I don't have a garage.  I do have a 2-car detached carport off of the alley.  A few years ago I fenced it in because we had (and still have!) occasional yard burglaries in the neighborhood.  I did put in big swinging doors so cars can still get in there, it ended up as outdoor living space though.  I scored a nice teak table with 6 chairs, two loungers and two little end tables off of Craigslist and strung up some lights.  I also keep the potting bench there.  It does tend to become a recycling staging area/junk pile sometimes.  But here in the PNW, it is SO nice to have a large covered outdoor space.  And if I need to, I can move the furniture and back a truckload of compost in.  :)

My car lives out front on the street, along with everyone elses.  Now that I think of it, there are very few garages in my entire neighborhood.  Off-alley parking with occasional carports, or street parking.  This is an older, dense, (walkable!) historic sort of neighborhood.

I try to keep the clutter down.  Every time I tackle an area it seems that I do, in fact, have a ton.  I'm about to clear out and reorganize an 11 x 19 art studio/outbuilding this weekend.  It is a mess.

CNM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 09:57:08 AM »
Our two car garage (although even if it was empty it wouldn't hold 2 cars) has a lot of junk in it.  The junk is mostly our car, bikes and bike repair stuff, outdoor equipment (skis, camping gear, etc), and tools.  I'm OK with it.  I can't imagine getting rid of that stuff!  But I also can't imagine keeping it indoors in our precious heated living space. 

Undecided

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 11:47:30 AM »

The question, though, is why (as a general rule) you would want to put cars in a garage, except to work on them.  To me, a garage is not a place to park a car, it's a workshop.

The degree to which they make sense as parking seems to be driven by the frequency with which one gets in the car when it's "really cold" outside and the amount of time one would spend clearing the car of snow and ice. Although even for that first point, the heat on my current car seems to work very quickly (compared to, say, my VW Beetle of long ago).

ShavenLlama

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 12:05:39 PM »
Speaking of garages, my mom has a 2- car garage with a separate door for each side. On the left is her little work bench and a few boxes (not hoarder level at all), and she parks her car on the right. Last time I visited with her, the garage door opener on the right had stopped working. Instead of taking the 20-30 minutes to move the boxes over to the right and park on the left, she would take the extra time and effort every time she needed to leave to open the door, move the car, close the door, and go through the front of the house. Then get home, fiddle with the front door, fiddle with the broken garage door, park, fiddle with the broken door again. People, man. :)

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »
It reminds me of something David Bach ("Smart People Finish Rich") said in his books: a lot of Americans spend too much money buying too much stuff they don't need, and then need to spend more money on storage units or big fancy houses, just so they have the space to store all the stuff they don't use.

That's true, but I think the clutter from accumulation of purchased but unused stuff is  different from the can't get a car in the garage because of projects/materials clutter thing.  I am just not a pathologically neat person, tend to have lots of projects going on in parallel, and am frugal enough to keep materials (like pieces of wood & metal, or cans of nuts & bolts) that might be useful for future projects.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 01:19:55 PM »
My carport is treated by me as a work shop but it definitely has lots of "stuff" stored in it.   the biggest space user is my wood rack holding the lumber scraps and left overs.  It also prevents cars from getting into the carport.   as it would have been a narrow fit to begin with.  My major issue is because it's not enclosed I can't keep tools in it so they come inside to their shelves after use.   Drives me nuts but I can't do major work inside the house due to the dust  and I can't leave them outside due to theft.  I should turn it into a garage and close it up one day.

My office however looks like a bomb went off and that's my fault.  Little things needing taken away and trashed....   the kids have too many toys but so long as they clean up it's not an insane amount.   I've already purged books and the such.    What drives me nuts is the amount of holiday decorations we have.   We have tons of christmas lights and halloween decorations that take up space in the shed where the lawnmower  and spare tires for the car live.  Then there is all of the camping stuff...   

momo

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »
Wow.  That video gives me anxiety.  I'm definitely a more minimalist person, though not like Couple #1 in the video. 

Thanks for the video. It raises politely more awareness on this hoarding topic.

Personally, I am much more like couple #1 after they renovated. I find having less clutter by having less items IS actually more b/c the select few items I do keep serve multiple purposes. I routinely donate and sell items I do not actively use. Sometimes it just feels amazingly liberating too. :) Does anyone else do this too?

Also I agree with the David Bachs comment. It reminds me Adam's TED talk over at Man vs Debt.
http://manvsdebt.com/adam-baker-tedx-talk/

“There are thousands and thousands of people out there leading lives of quiet, screaming desperation, where they work long, hard hours at jobs they hate to enable them to buy things they don’t need to impress people they don’t like.”

So what does freedom mean to you? Cheers!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 09:35:18 AM by Stashtastic Momo »

babysteps

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2013, 04:55:58 PM »

The degree to which they make sense as parking seems to be driven by the frequency with which one gets in the car when it's "really cold" outside and the amount of time one would spend clearing the car of snow and ice. Although even for that first point, the heat on my current car seems to work very quickly (compared to, say, my VW Beetle of long ago).

Likelihood of bird-poo on car paint if parked outside garage figures in here ;)

Random justification: maybe we are using our cars in the garage as stuff preventers? "We don't have room for any more stuff" but if we parked outside...

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »
I'm a bit bemused by the families who "can't" clean out their garages and "have" to leave their cars on the driveway, yet they somehow manage to find at least an hour a week to wash their car (which is getting dirty from sitting out in the driveway). 

My car sits in our garage, and it hasn't been washed since our daughter started college.  (She's just finishing up junior year.)  Luckily the finish is protected by a heavy layer of surf wax.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 01:44:30 PM »
My car sits in our garage, and it hasn't been washed since our daughter started college.

Mine stays in the driveway, and hasn't been washed since...  Oh, the last time it rained, which here in the Great Basin is not an everyday event.

mikefixac

• Bristles
    • Uncommonly Brilliant
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2013, 04:21:51 PM »
I'm glad I saw this. I'm far from being a clutter freak, in fact I have a reputation of getting rid of stuff easily, stuff can still add up.