Author Topic: Overheard at Work 2  (Read 1117065 times)

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
Re: Overheard at Work 2
« Reply #3700 on: February 28, 2023, 04:32:33 PM »
I hope your advisor is a fee-only fiduciary.

You can DIY pretty damn easily: https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/

Feel free to post any questions.

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3701 on: February 28, 2023, 05:16:23 PM »

You can DIY pretty damn easily: https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/

Pretty sure that was what was overheard…

Fomerly known as something

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3702 on: February 28, 2023, 08:16:19 PM »

Pretty sure that was what was overheard…

It was overheard,  well actually I was in the conversation but I wasn’t the one retiring.  OTOH, as a single person I do pay a fee only FA to check myself.  I retire in 2.5 years.  We’re are starting to talk post retirement finances now.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3703 on: March 02, 2023, 03:32:57 AM »
DH is a high school teacher at an international school. He overheard one student tell another that his parents give him 40,000 rmb (USD$5800) a month if he attends school.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3704 on: March 02, 2023, 03:41:08 AM »
DH is a high school teacher at an international school. He overheard one student tell another that his parents give him 40,000 rmb (USD$5800) a month if he attends school.
That's average income there, right?

Not bad for simple attendance.

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3705 on: March 02, 2023, 03:58:10 AM »
That's average income there, right?

Not bad for simple attendance.

A quick Google search tells me it’s about FOUR TIMES the average income in Shanghai. 😂

On the afternoon of July 5, 2022, Shanghai Municipal Human Resources and Social Security Bureau announced that the average salary in China – Shanghai in 2021 (hereinafter referred to as “social average salary”) was CNY 11,396 per month
https://www.jscgroups.com/2022-average-salary-in-china-shanghai/

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3706 on: March 02, 2023, 04:13:04 AM »
Ah, sorry, I had per year in my head not month. lol.

But the numbers are still fucked up royally. Depending where I look I get (dollar) between 4K and 30K.
But it seems the most hits are around 12K dollar, so it seems I was right. Per year of course.

If that student doesn't want to go to school, I guess I could do for him for that money!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3707 on: March 02, 2023, 05:18:49 PM »

I wonder how much he'll get for going to work when he's older? 

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3708 on: March 03, 2023, 07:29:27 AM »

His family probably owns a multimillion dollar company, so I’m guessing he’ll get paid millions?

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3709 on: March 03, 2023, 09:21:17 PM »

His family probably owns a multimillion dollar company, so I’m guessing he’ll get paid millions?

As a salary for actually working or a bribe for just showing up?

Freedomin5

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3710 on: March 04, 2023, 02:10:37 AM »

As a salary for actually working or a bribe for just showing up?

Yes. Same difference 😂  I’m sure there are smart people working for the family and helping to run the company.

Artem_F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3711 on: March 06, 2023, 08:00:28 AM »
Just curious, how would you know it was a failed MAF so you could disconnect it?     I had the same thing happen in a different vehicle about 25 years ago, so I suspected it was the MAF, but I wasn't sure...
well, this is a good question. As for me, I have a diagnostic OBD2 tool in the car. If not, it would be a trial-and-error in the case described above. On the other hand, if the Check Engine light is on, there are not too many sensors the failure of which leads to stalling, so MAF would be under suspicion anyway. BTW, once I had a very tricky failure, which was difficult to diagnose because there was no CE light and the failure manifested itself once in 3-5 days. After reading the forums and replacing a couple of things I managed to pinpoint it - it was an idle valve, which was just slightly clogged with fume/oil deposits and once in a while it was stuck in closed position :)

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3712 on: March 06, 2023, 10:05:01 AM »
<off topic>
We once had a very tricky problem - occasionally, the ABS would suddenly, briefly, trigger, which was scary at highway speeds.  There was no definitive way to diagnose, but a faulty yaw sensor was the only thing the shop come up with (and they were correct).
</ot>

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3713 on: March 06, 2023, 10:46:01 AM »
<off topic>
<off topic>
We once had a very tricky problem - occasionally, the ABS would suddenly, briefly, trigger, which was scary at highway speeds.  There was no definitive way to diagnose, but a faulty yaw sensor was the only thing the shop come up with (and they were correct).
</ot>

I have MetroMile car insurance and they bill me based in miles driven as obtained via an always installed OBD (that talks to cell towers) so have gotten emails/texts of issues while driving that it detected.  Shame the OEM cant do this... (maybe they are but I have not had really driven anything 'modern')

</ot>

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3714 on: March 06, 2023, 01:24:41 PM »
Just curious, how would you know it was a failed MAF so you could disconnect it?     I had the same thing happen in a different vehicle about 25 years ago, so I suspected it was the MAF, but I wasn't sure...
well, this is a good question. As for me, I have a diagnostic OBD2 tool in the car. If not, it would be a trial-and-error in the case described above. On the other hand, if the Check Engine light is on, there are not too many sensors the failure of which leads to stalling, so MAF would be under suspicion anyway. BTW, once I had a very tricky failure, which was difficult to diagnose because there was no CE light and the failure manifested itself once in 3-5 days. After reading the forums and replacing a couple of things I managed to pinpoint it - it was an idle valve, which was just slightly clogged with fume/oil deposits and once in a while it was stuck in closed position :)
OBD2 tools really aren't that expensive when you get a Bluetooth one and all the heavy lifting is done by your phone using an app like Torque Pro.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Wireless-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B005NLQAHS/

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3715 on: March 06, 2023, 02:40:36 PM »
<off topic>
<off topic>
</ot>
I have MetroMile car insurance and they bill me based in miles driven as obtained via an always installed OBD (that talks to cell towers) so have gotten emails/texts of issues while driving that it detected.  Shame the OEM cant do this... (maybe they are but I have not had really driven anything 'modern')

</ot>

We have an OBD2 (bluetooth, similar to the one TomTX linked), but the car never threw a code.  It just scared us!

Artem_F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3716 on: March 07, 2023, 08:47:19 AM »
the sensors and OBD diagnostics are essential, but they cannot tell you a lot of things - for example, a leaking injector, a stuck idle valve, a faulty or wet spark plug, etc. But, the fault search is much easier with them than without them.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3717 on: March 08, 2023, 05:51:39 AM »
OBD2 tools really aren't that expensive when you get a Bluetooth one and all the heavy lifting is done by your phone using an app like Torque Pro.

Example: https://www.amazon.com/BAFX-Products-Wireless-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B005NLQAHS/
FWIW, if you don't mind a very basic user interface, the ones w/ their own screen etc. can be pretty cheap as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G5EA74I/

(For reasons that seem increasingly silly, I've been slow to warm up to BT-connected devices using my phone as the UI. I'm also a "senior" embedded software dev., so ugly old-school LCD menu interfaces like this are comfortingly familiar to me)

Reynold

• Bristles
« Reply #3718 on: March 16, 2023, 07:16:24 AM »
DW was talking to a more senior co-worker of mine at a company event late last year, and he said that "it had been noticed" that I brought leftover food home.  We have company lunches every week, and nobody else eats leftovers, so I often brought some home.  We typically got 1-2 extra lunches and dinners a week that way. 

The conversation also turned to my impending retirement (now retired as of March 3, stayed long enough to collect the 2022 bonus, woot!).  He said he didn't really understand how I could manage to afford to retire.  I'll have to have a conversation with him some time now that I am out to try to connect those dots. . .

Conversely, my boss I know has been saving, and planning to retire early (10 years younger than me).  He is deliberately moving down from a management back to a technical position to set the stage for some consulting work with the company when he retires, much as I expect to do, for a bit of supplemental income and a way to pay ACA health insurance bills.  My company is very friendly to this kind of thing, our work is specialized and hard to find experienced people for.  As a consultant I may even go to a few company lunches and bring home leftovers. . . :)

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3719 on: March 16, 2023, 09:29:22 AM »
Ahaha, that last sentence was golden!

Congratulations, I guess?

There are people who think something bad when you take leftovers, but I think bad of those who don't think anything about wasting that food - and that is even without considering environmental damage and climate change.

Not that long ago we had a company dinner at an all you can eat place. I certainly eat too much, nearly puked because I wanted to try everything :D But it also meant I didn't need to eat anything the whole next day, so everything has 2 sides.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3720 on: March 16, 2023, 09:54:21 AM »
Congratulations @Reynold!

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3721 on: March 16, 2023, 12:49:02 PM »
There are people who think something bad when you take leftovers, but I think bad of those who don't think anything about wasting that food - and that is even without considering environmental damage and climate change.

I used to think that people who didn't like leftovers were wasteful and/or spoiled, and I still do for the most part.   But I have a youngish child who is thoroughly put off by leftovers.  I have no idea where this came from since we have always served and eaten leftovers every week and everyone else in the family is fine with it.  I've had some success covertly reheating food in the air fryer, but he can usually tell.  We require that he takes a bite before declining and at that point he can have a sandwich for dinner.  My frugal self is baffled.

By the River

• Bristles
« Reply #3722 on: March 16, 2023, 01:37:09 PM »

I used to think that people who didn't like leftovers were wasteful and/or spoiled, and I still do for the most part.   But I have a youngish child who is thoroughly put off by leftovers.  I have no idea where this came from since we have always served and eaten leftovers every week and everyone else in the family is fine with it.  I've had some success covertly reheating food in the air fryer, but he can usually tell.  We require that he takes a bite before declining and at that point he can have a sandwich for dinner.  My frugal self is baffled.

I have an older son that is similar.  Says he doesn't like leftovers but does batch cooking to bring for lunch (like grills 3 chicken breasts and veggies on Sunday night for lunch M-W).  So its not a leftover if it was specifically cooked for later...that I don't understand

JGS1980

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3723 on: March 16, 2023, 01:37:54 PM »

I am my family's leftover food vacuum cleaner. I love leftovers. Leftovers also happen to be very frugal. My wife (and many in her family) rarely tolerate leftovers as it does not appeal to their palettes. I have two supertaster (i.e. superpicky) children and 1 child who is willing to eat anything. Oh well. 1 out of 3 aint bad.

JGS

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3724 on: March 16, 2023, 01:53:25 PM »
I am my family's leftover food vacuum cleaner.

Thank you for your service.

I have an older son that is similar.  Says he doesn't like leftovers but does batch cooking to bring for lunch (like grills 3 chicken breasts and veggies on Sunday night for lunch M-W).  So its not a leftover if it was specifically cooked for later...that I don't understand

I wish there were some forum leftover-haters who could explain this condition, lol. 

My son wouldn't eat if there was no alternative, but after some traumatic experiences with my own parents as a kid at mealtime, I will never pick a battle over food.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2023, 02:02:14 PM by charis »

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3725 on: March 16, 2023, 03:31:54 PM »
Leftovers taste better than fresh cooked, generally.  The flavours have a chance to mingle.

I had a roommate once who cooked pretty much the same meal every day, and when I asked her why she didn't just make more for 2 or 3 meals. she replied that she liked her food "fresh."  I thought to myself, Yeah, it's fresh cooked, but the food has traveled from who knows where, sat in the store, then sat in the fridge until you cooked it.  It's not "fresh."

(When I was a kid, I always had 2 choices for meals - eat it or go hungry, lol.  Still not a picky eater.)

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3726 on: March 16, 2023, 04:05:00 PM »

I'm a bit of a leftover-phobe, though I struggle to overcome it. For me, a big part of it is seeing/smelling the cold leftovers from the fridge; something about it just really puts me off. If someone takes it out and reheats it for me, then it's usually fine (and no, this isn't just a tactic to get my wife to do the work!)

I also have an easier time when it's my own cooking, which is weird since I certainly didn't have any problem eating any of the food the first time around. It's not a trust thing, and it's not (always) a preferred-foods thing... I guess maybe it's just "pride of ownership" in my own creations? IDK

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #3727 on: March 16, 2023, 04:12:44 PM »

I'm a bit of a leftover-phobe, though I struggle to overcome it. For me, a big part of it is seeing/smelling the cold leftovers from the fridge; something about it just really puts me off. If someone takes it out and reheats it for me, then it's usually fine (and no, this isn't just a tactic to get my wife to do the work!)

I also have an easier time when it's my own cooking, which is weird since I certainly didn't have any problem eating any of the food the first time around. It's not a trust thing, and it's not (always) a preferred-foods thing... I guess maybe it's just "pride of ownership" in my own creations? IDK
For me it's a texture thing. If the leftovers can be reheated without one component getting soggy or dried out and all the parts are hot again, I am fine. I have an aversion to warmed up food (probably some cave-brain about food borne illness) and I also get sick from food easily. My in-laws will soak the dried cod overnight in a bowl on the dryer and I cannot eat that fish casserole at all. My DH and his siblings will chow down and feel a little off the next day.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3728 on: March 17, 2023, 06:06:47 AM »

For me it's a texture thing. If the leftovers can be reheated without one component getting soggy or dried out and all the parts are hot again, I am fine. I have an aversion to warmed up food (probably some cave-brain about food borne illness) and I also get sick from food easily. My in-laws will soak the dried cod overnight in a bowl on the dryer and I cannot eat that fish casserole at all. My DH and his siblings will chow down and feel a little off the next day.
Well, I can't say that I like leftovers - most stuff does not taste better if it's older - and I am also a sort of supertaster for bitter stuff (hence my aversion to lots of vegetables. Some are ok after thouroughly cooked, which puts others off (see above), but a few things make my stomach revolt just smelling).
But I will never understand those who refuse everything.

Sugaree

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3729 on: March 17, 2023, 06:36:25 AM »
I will eat leftovers, but I know myself well enough to know that I really need to pack them in individual serving containers.  For some reason, I don't love serving portions out of a cold dish, putting the rest back in the fridge, and then warming up my own serving.  I think it goes back to my mom's...questionable...food storage practices. 

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3730 on: March 18, 2023, 04:04:15 PM »
I will eat leftovers, but I know myself well enough to know that I really need to pack them in individual serving containers.  For some reason, I don't love serving portions out of a cold dish, putting the rest back in the fridge, and then warming up my own serving.  I think it goes back to my mom's...questionable...food storage practices.
Yeah, I think this is part of it for me as well. Scooping out cold, partially congealed glop... *shudder* 

And my mom used to forget things in the back of the fridge all the time (as do I), so I'm sure there's some remembered "trauma" there lol

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3731 on: March 19, 2023, 12:18:19 AM »

All of the above, but for me a lot of it is also how it's been packaged/stored.  Something about seeing those nasty tupperware containers with ancient food staining the plastic crevices, all smooshed down by the lid but still somehow the lid came off and it's absorbed other odors and gotten crusty from dry air... yuck.  Now that I run the house I use only glass containers and try to still "plate" it in an appetizing way.  That really helps the situation.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3732 on: March 19, 2023, 07:51:59 AM »
I feel like it should go without saying that no one would be expected to like leftovers that aren't stored and packaged safely, but I guess it doesn't. We use glass containers as well.

ohsnap

• Bristles
« Reply #3733 on: March 19, 2023, 01:12:10 PM »
Leftovers taste better than fresh cooked, generally.  The flavours have a chance to mingle.
Yes - things like soup & curries & casseroles especially. (eating a leftover bowl of soup as I type this!)

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3734 on: March 20, 2023, 02:44:10 PM »

(When I was a kid, I always had 2 choices for meals - eat it or go hungry, lol.  Still not a picky eater.)

This is certainly true for some things, i.e. lasagna.

Not so much for others, i.e. pizza or pasta (which tend to degrade when I reheat them).

I may also benefite from some re-heating tips if this can be fixed.

Kris

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3735 on: March 20, 2023, 04:53:15 PM »

Not so much for others, i.e. pizza or pasta (which tend to degrade when I reheat them).

For pizza, toaster oven is better than microwave, obviously.

If the crust is unusually soggy, put it in a pan and heat it up like an open-faced grilled cheese. Delicious!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3736 on: March 20, 2023, 06:25:28 PM »

If the pasta is in a sauce, heating up in the oven is better than microwave. same of course for pizza.

I think it is a subconscious fear or memory of getting sick from old food that puts people off leftovers. When you have put the food away you know when the food was made, how it was stored and how long its been there, versus someone else making it.
I like leftovers for certain things (lasanga, meatloaf, etc) basically time intensive items that taste better the next day. Rest of leftoevers, probably prefer to have something fresh but I don't want to waste food. Sadly my kids are not generally fans of leftovers, so I end up eating the lion's share of leftovers. But yeah. My kids would like a new meal every day even if there are 2 different kind of leftoevers in the fridge. Bugs me.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3737 on: March 20, 2023, 08:00:14 PM »

For pizza, toaster oven is better than microwave, obviously.

If the crust is unusually soggy, put it in a pan and heat it up like an open-faced grilled cheese. Delicious!

I love reheated pizza in the toaster oven or air fryer, in fact, I usually stick it in with a couple of wings right after arrival.

Purple_Crayon

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • 2026 cohort
« Reply #3738 on: March 21, 2023, 09:21:35 AM »
I have always been baffled by people's aversion to leftovers. However, I have often been the benefactor of said aversion.

At my former workplace, a good friend of mine complained about how her fridge is perpetually filled with leftovers because neither she nor her husband would eat them, but for some reason, they could also not bring themselves to throw the food away when it went unfinished the first time around because it was seemed wasteful. I offered to make that problem go away by eating any and all leftovers they accumulated on a daily basis (I knew this person well and knew their kitchen was one I trusted).

A few days afterward, upon witnessing this disgusting phenomenon in the break room, two other work friends inquired. They too shared the same aversion.

I spent the next two years eating between a two and three course free lunch every day.

LennStar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3739 on: March 21, 2023, 09:27:48 AM »
lol that's a win-win-win!

You win, they win, earth wins!

100% MMM approved!

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3740 on: March 21, 2023, 01:58:14 PM »
I have always been baffled by people's aversion to leftovers. However, I have often been the benefactor of said aversion.

At my former workplace, a good friend of mine complained about how her fridge is perpetually filled with leftovers because neither she nor her husband would eat them, but for some reason, they could also not bring themselves to throw the food away when it went unfinished the first time around because it was seemed wasteful. I offered to make that problem go away by eating any and all leftovers they accumulated on a daily basis (I knew this person well and knew their kitchen was one I trusted).

A few days afterward, upon witnessing this disgusting phenomenon in the break room, two other work friends inquired. They too shared the same aversion.

I spent the next two years eating between a two and three course free lunch every day.

Thank you for bringing a good post to this ridiculous discussion about people not eating/liking leftovers. It had been getting so idiotic here I was about to post on the "Overheard Over the Fence" thread about this group of people I read about who can't figure out how to cook enough for multiple meals and make it good...

TheGrimSqueaker

• Magnum Stache
  • Location: A desert wasteland, where none but the weird survive
« Reply #3741 on: March 21, 2023, 02:20:41 PM »

Thank you for bringing a good post to this ridiculous discussion about people not eating/liking leftovers. It had been getting so idiotic here I was about to post on the "Overheard Over the Fence" thread about this group of people I read about who can't figure out how to cook enough for multiple meals and make it good...

Does an intentional multiple-meal preparation even count as leftovers? It's not as though the entire pot of chili or soup is served and then relegated to leftovers, when it's intentionally portioned out into multiple servings and then refrigerated to be taken out for lunch each day. Can an item even be a leftover if it never makes it to the table? If I buy a bag of apples and eat one, are the rest magically transmuted into leftovers?

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3742 on: March 21, 2023, 02:47:21 PM »

Does an intentional multiple-meal preparation even count as leftovers? It's not as though the entire pot of chili or soup is served and then relegated to leftovers, when it's intentionally portioned out into multiple servings and then refrigerated to be taken out for lunch each day. Can an item even be a leftover if it never makes it to the table? If I buy a bag of apples and eat one, are the rest magically transmuted into leftovers?

I was trying to avoid going there...I was even wondering about cookies (though your apples is a much healthier example!) or pie or cake. While I have been known to stuff myself and try to consume every last slice of a key lime pie my spouse mixes up, it tends to be taken away from me before I get back to it a third time. I get put in pie timeout for at least a dozen hours.

I do not consider almost all of the food I eat as leftovers. Sometimes the entire pan of whatever goes right into the freezer and never even makes it to a single meal for a number of weeks. It's just food. I can't recall the last time we cooked something that was fully consumed on the first day. Maybe the main course when we grill steaks, but normally some vegetable dish will go for two+ meals. Perhaps breakfast would be the one thing that is often "cooked to order". Just enough pancakes, just enough eggs in the skillet, and so on.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3743 on: March 21, 2023, 03:34:22 PM »

This is pure gold

glacio09

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3744 on: March 22, 2023, 07:23:14 AM »

I've been known to call meal prepping "organized leftovers".

To add to the conversation, my husband has a rather sensitive stomach so he's a bit more squeamish on leftovers. I have no such problems. I also work in the office and he works from home, so I basically eat all the dinner leftovers at work and he makes sandwiches at home. Everything gets eaten and no one gets sick. Win.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3745 on: March 22, 2023, 09:41:48 AM »
Leftovers: A waste is a terrible thing to mind.

Office leftovers, esp home made, I love those. That's accepting other food cultures and trying something new that you may never get in a restaurant.

On the flip side, I eat too much of them, because I may not get more the next day. Weight gain, which means workout more, which creates hunger, feeding a never ending cycle.

Also, I don't appreciate people who turn their noses up at leftovers, esp vocally or making faces. There are some in my family. I've told them that if they don't like it, they should keep it to themselves, don't ruin the excitement of others, especially mine. Hangry me is not a nice guy.

eyesonthehorizon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3746 on: March 24, 2023, 09:33:37 PM »

With pizza, I'd start by giving it a quick nuke - 15 seconds or so, just so it's not fridge-cold & the bread starts to throw a little steam onto the plate underneath - then slide it onto a preheated pan hot enough to sizzle (steam is paradoxically your friend for bread crustiness.) Rotate around the pan a few times until thoroughly re-crisped on the bottom. Delicious. Sometimes better than the first day owing to being crunchier with more browning on the carbs. A little balsamic can also brighten it up, especially if you toss it on a salad which you apply directly to the top of just-reheated pizza. For larger amounts (half a pizza) preheat anything made of iron, ceramic, or heavy steel, slide the pizza on, & toss under the broiler.

Pasta, depends on the sauce. Most of my pastas are heavy on vegetables but light on (very intense) sauce so they reheat really well, though best when sealed (pop a plate over the bowl) at low to 50% power over a 3-4 minute period per bowl. When in doubt you can cheat & add a little cream, which rehydrates & lubricates things nicely. If I'm making a large batch of something with the expectation of leftovers I tend to lean very al dente on both the pasta & veg so they don't turn to paste when reheated. Not letting the pasta continue to cook after it's done (i.e. get it off the stove, & spread it out to cool, especially if it's in thick sauce) is important for that latter.

I thought I hated leftovers growing up, what I hated was soggy low-effort microwave meals.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3747 on: March 24, 2023, 11:07:53 PM »
For Pizza, if I’m reheating leftovers from the fridge, I’ll put a few slices upside down on a plate and microwave on the reheat setting for 30-60 seconds depending on the size and number of slices.  That way, the crust doesn’t go soggy from being in between the plate and ingredients on top. 

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #3748 on: March 26, 2023, 12:49:13 AM »
For Pizza, if I’m reheating leftovers from the fridge, I’ll put a few slices upside down on a plate and microwave on the reheat setting for 30-60 seconds depending on the size and number of slices.  That way, the crust doesn’t go soggy from being in between the plate and ingredients on top.

absolute psychopath

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3749 on: March 27, 2023, 11:52:18 AM »

With pizza, I'd start by giving it a quick nuke - 15 seconds or so, just so it's not fridge-cold & the bread starts to throw a little steam onto the plate underneath - then slide it onto a preheated pan hot enough to sizzle (steam is paradoxically your friend for bread crustiness.) Rotate around the pan a few times until thoroughly re-crisped on the bottom. Delicious. Sometimes better than the first day owing to being crunchier with more browning on the carbs. A little balsamic can also brighten it up, especially if you toss it on a salad which you apply directly to the top of just-reheated pizza. For larger amounts (half a pizza) preheat anything made of iron, ceramic, or heavy steel, slide the pizza on, & toss under the broiler.

Pasta, depends on the sauce. Most of my pastas are heavy on vegetables but light on (very intense) sauce so they reheat really well, though best when sealed (pop a plate over the bowl) at low to 50% power over a 3-4 minute period per bowl. When in doubt you can cheat & add a little cream, which rehydrates & lubricates things nicely. If I'm making a large batch of something with the expectation of leftovers I tend to lean very al dente on both the pasta & veg so they don't turn to paste when reheated. Not letting the pasta continue to cook after it's done (i.e. get it off the stove, & spread it out to cool, especially if it's in thick sauce) is important for that latter.

I thought I hated leftovers growing up, what I hated was soggy low-effort microwave meals.

What do you preheat the pan to? Do you spray or do anything to keep it from sticking?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!